Correspondance: Prima Venetia Constanza

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Prima Venetia Constanza

Correspondance: Prima Venetia Constanza

Post by Prima Venetia Constanza »

* sent by private runner to the Nashorn at Gravetide

Samheen 13, Gravetide, Constanza House

My Dearest Ramius,

How strange it looks even to commit such words to paper, but in my heart I know that I call you nothing else. There is so much that I would have said- should have said- and yet in the moment, I could not. I stood as one struck by lighting and watched you and Thomas and Steven go...

I look out the window of my father's study towards the city proper below and it is a hive of activity. I can just glimpse the smoking machinery of the Nashorn from here, and wonder at our venture and how she proceeds. It is weak-willed of me, but how I wish that you were to be there, watching over her instsead of where you surely must be, aboard the Lykos.

Strange that I have never before considered the life of a soldier or sailor, let alone the lives of those who must watch as the orders are deliever'd and then wait safely at home for word of their fate. You have not even left yet, but as soon as the messenger put the paper to your hand, I felt the cold grasp of your absence deep within myself.

I cannot say whether my position makes this trial greater or less. I think perhaps greater, for you and I both know the Magisters would not call you up so suddenly for anything less than battle. My sources tell me that your fellow airships are to be launched as well, and the Avarita has lights shining from its windows as does the Council Hall.

I think upon what you told me such a short time ago, and our discussions of distance and of speed and where one might fly within a days' time, and my mind turns these things over and over and rearranges them into new patterns and shapes like a fan of cards- but I cannot find any hand here to my liking.

I have ordered my father's teleo-scope brought up from the country where he used its refracting lenses to show me the stars as a child. It will be here by morning and I mean to have it set upon the roof of the villa, that I might watch the Lykos as she passes by overhead, and feel another moment of closeness with you. Perhaps you shall look down and see me, standing upon my roof, gazing through my tube of metal and glass for a glimpse of you?

I will also be following your direction as much as I am able, and have assigned two 'associates' to track your whereabouts. My old tutor is to call upon me, along with a cartographer and a retired officer who is to begin to teach me something of piloting and plotting a course by the heavens. There is so much that I have to do, yet I will do these things as well, for they make me feel closer to you.

Come home safely, Ramius. There is so much left unsaid even now that I cannot form into words. 'Tho I did not know it before, kisses seem to speak more eloquently than words, and I would have more from you. Any problems we might face are as nothing if only you return safely home- and to me.

May the God hold you in His palm,

Prima Venitia Constanza, her seal

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”