Wandering in Darkness [Ospray]

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Wandering in Darkness [Ospray]

Post by Yin Lorin »

Ospray woke from his rest and night had taken full hold of the forest. The lamps of the village were lit in the distance, and the fire burned in the other room. The difference this night was that the warm yellow glow of the light was replaced with a dull blue glow. Little candle flickers floated in the air, two of them floated near his feet where he had been sleeping.

The forest outside gave an oppressive feeling. The trees covered up the moon and stars so no light from the sky fell through the thick canopy. The black pillars stood as if to bar the passage he might have sought.

All of his things were packed neatly, with a small meal of rice mixed with a red bean wrapped in a leaf. The bundle was tied up very well, the bows were perfectly made, and it was easy to tell it was done with great care.

“We cannot go with you.” The voice came from the candle flicker, it was so very far away, as if coming across a great canyon. “We are bound here, and now that you know what we are, we cannot pull you into our realm. Take care, Ospray. Head north until you reach a stone that looks like a tower, then head east to the mountains.”
Last edited by Yin Lorin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Post by Guest »

"I give you my many thanks.", he said to the candle. Though in a soft and sad tone, he said, "I wish there was more that I could have done." He grabbed his things, placing the leaf inside his bag so it wouldn't spill, and began to head out the door. Looking back he gave a respectful bow, then turned around to look at his surroundings. Indeed he received an oppressive feeling from the forest. It was as if everything was suddenly against him. But Ospray made up his mind, and was ready to meet any challenge it threw at him head on. The rest he took did wonders for his body as he felt he had the energy of a hundred men.

Thus he began to walk down the path, passing the black pillars with a strong force. It was but a few minutes that he walked and stop to look back. The village in his view was small now as he could only see small traces of blue light from them. At this point Ospray couldn't see hardly anything so he proceeded to take out a torch plus his flint. After a couple of strikes the torch was lit and he could see, though the range of vision wasn't that great. Still it was better than walking in the pitch dark. His instincts told him it wasn't the best thing to travel at night, especially in this forest. Though there was little choice.

Slowly and cautiously he walked down the path, observing everything in the path of the light. He showed no fear, but signs that he was ready for anything to occur.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The torchlight lit the area directly around him. The darkness seemed to beat on the light, as if to make it retreat back, making the torchlight seem less effective then usual. After leaving the village, the paths seemed to end, leaving him nothing but game trails to follow.

The branches from the lower brush beat at his legs from time to time as he walked down the thin trails.

The night was growing darker with each passing mark. Then, as if the trees had parted like a curtain, he saw another camp; fires flickered off in the distance like beacons floating in the middle of a void.

There was a solid thud at his feet, and he did not need to look to know it was an arrow. “Hold your ground human, and state your name and reason for being in our wood.” The voice had a rich accent; he could tell that this tongue was not the speaker’s native tongue. A form moved to be silhouetted by the firelight.

He was a well built man, he wore nothing on his chest, from what Ospray could make out. He was slender, and muscular, lean and his skin glinted a little with Ospray’s torchlight, though he could not make out any details. He must have been wearing a helm with deer antlers on them, because he could make them out rising from his head.

Post by Guest »

With the arrow at his feet, Ospray looked up to see who it was that blocked his path. From the look of things, he began to wonder about the man who was before him. This individual was quite puzzling, but Ospray had a few ideas. As he heard the man speak, it came to him that this person was probably an Adhiel which was further detailed by the dear antlers on his head. Though whoever, or whatever, this person was, Ospray could tell this man wasn't one for casual chit-chat.

He raised the torch to see if more could be seen. In doing so, Ospray responded, "I am called Ospray. I travel these woods in search of an object that is said to be in the north." This response wasn't probably what the stranger wanted to hear, but Ospray wouldn't say any more about his reasons. He couldn't tell if this person was friend or foe, nor what was this persons objectives were and to reveal to much information could prove to be fatal. After a moment of silence, Ospray said to the man, "Now who are you, and what business do you have with me?"

The manner he said this was straight forward and almost command like. Ospray had shown the man he wasn't intimidated, not even by the arrow he shot. However, he wasn't stupid enough to provoke any sort of conflict. Looking at the being before him, Ospray waited for a response.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The light lifted and the man must have been mounted as he heard the soft stomp of hooves on the forest floor. “You are brave for coming to these woods, human. What is it you seek to the north?” The bold voice asked.

The man stepped into the light, but it was not an elf, or a man. The creature that emerged from the darkness into his torchlight had dark skin, like the bark of a tree. From his forehead rose a pair of antlers that swept back giving him a majestic demeanor. His chest was like that of a human, but bare and lithe, from the waist down he had the body of a stag. He was like a centaur he had read about, but was a stag with chestnut fur and dimpled white spots on his rear.

“I am Sernonus, human Ospray, We too are headed north, if you come in peace, you may come and share in what we have. These woods are not host to kindness in the darkness like this. Not anymore anyway.” He stepped closer; he was a good head taller then Ospray, with a slighter build, more sleek and thin. “Do you wish to join the herd?”

Post by Guest »

To say that Ospray's judgement was knocked for a loop would be an understatement. Never had he seen a creature as this before. Coming back from being dumbfounded with surprise he thought to himself: Well now that is something you don't see everyday.
With a slight nod Ospray responded, "If you have a place by your fire then I will join your herd. I need not much but a place to sit and rest for the moment."

He raised his bag over his shoulder and lowered the torch ready to follow the creature back to the camp. In doing so he asked, "If you are heading north, about how far is your herd planning to travel? Reason I ask coincides with with my objective, for I was told that to the north is a stone which is said to look like a tower. Might you know of what it is I seek?" In asking his questions, Ospray couldn't but help to over look the figure of Sernonus. It was more due to curiosity than anything else, for Sernonus was a reminder to Ospray that there were many wondrous things in this world.

Though many aspects ran through his mind that sparked an interest to know more about this creature, Ospray was careful not to show any sort of disrespect. As a sign of good faith he plucked the arrow out of the ground and handed it back to Sernonus.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

He held out his hand and took the arrow back, slipping it in his quiver that hung at his side. “I know of this rock, we will pass on the eastern side of it.”

He started to walk back to the camp. “You are a human. Strange, you do look much like the adhiel from times of old. Like an adhiel and a dwarf mixed together. I have heard of your kind in legends and tales. Of course, not many in the herd believe you exist. It will be a pleasure to prove them wrong.” He laughed softly.

As they approached the camp the males who were standing at the edge looked shocked. Sernonus spoke in a deep voice, like calling of a bird or some whistling and whining. “They do not speak the different tongues. I have had to learn to do trade with some of the adhiel we have met. This is how I know of humans. I have seen some of your artifacts. I did not think any would exist in the woods.”

Inside the whole of the herd was starting to gather behind Ospray as he walked with Sernonus. The little children hopped and sprinted around him as he walked, all of them speaking making it very hard to heard Seronus. “The villages we traded with have all vanished, as if something evil has moved into the woods and seeks to kill all the adhiel. We are going to the mountains. There is a rally called. Marking in the forest say that all of the Mother’s creatures are called to gather and to prepare for war, as the adhiel have left her and follow the path of…” He stopped. “well, the path of man.”

He motioned to a spot near the fire. “Do you wish food or drink?”

Post by Guest »

Entering the camp, Ospray was intrigued by the sight of Sernonus's race. Seeing the reaction of the others kind of made Ospray feel a little awkward, but it was to be expected, as he was the outsider here. As he walked though, hearing Sernonus remark about him looking like a mix between an adhiel and a dwarf didn't give a pleasant mental picture, but he didn't say much. In addition Ospray couldn't help but show some excitement as Sernonus said he knew where the rock was, and they would be going to it. Yes! That much closer to finding Ne’kage, he thought to himself.

He sat down by the fire and replied, "Oh just a small cup of water will be fine." As he did he continued to observe more of the camp. The small children running around the place made them look like small pets, more than someone's child. With this, he reflected on what Sernonus said about the evil in the woods, and the adhiel. His words brought back the recent encounter Ospray had with the orcs and of the demon he had learned about. Turning to Sernonus he stated, "More than likely the evil you are speaking about is probably a demon by the name Blayvanna." He turned to look back into the fire, then shot Sernonus a looked as if something came to him. "Sernonus, what did you mean exactly the adhiel have left the Mother and follow the path of man? Also what is this about a war?", he asked in serious curiosity.

Though despite his serious tone, the silence that befell him was broken as Ospray's stomach released a roar which everyone around him could here. Naturally he blushed and said with a slight laugh, "Well it seems I forgotten to have dinner. Maybe just a little food with that water. I already have some in my bag which I can eat, plus I don't want to impose."
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Something Ospray had come to notice was that most of these creatures were topless. This was mostly due to a small gathering of young females who were chittering amongst themselves as they stared at him. They were human from the waist up.

“Our hospitality is not an imposition.” He looked over at the girls who were talking between themselves and spoke in his own tongue. One of them did a little bow, she was a dark brown doe, with rust colored hair and a very well developed body. She would have easily had the attention of any man she wanted, if she was a human.

She locked eyes with Ospray, her eyes were bigger then a humans, and almost all black. She spoke to him. Her voice was lighter then Sernonus.

“She wishes to know if you eat meat.” Sernonus said. “Myths have it that is all humans eat, is the raw flesh of animals from bones. We could get you raw flesh if that is what you desire.”

Post by Guest »

Eat raw flesh?!, Ospray thought to himself. Never had such a question had been asked to him that it made it quite odd. He said to Sernonus, "...eh, well you can tell her that it is true humans do eat meat, but not raw. Generally it is always cooked, and accompanied by alot of plants. Thus we tend to have a balance of the two." He stopped for a moment, then stated, "As for myself, about the only meat I consume is fish. If there is none which is plentiful, I am just as content with plants."

In the midst of this, Ospray couldn't help but to keep looking at all of the females of this group. It was quite strange to see them walking around in the open with no top clothing on. However, he reminded himself that was the normal custom to wear clothing in his society, but obviously not here. Still, in a sense it was quite a sight to see a group of women chatting about him. In actuality Ospray had never really received this sort of attention before, which was enough to make him slightly blush. Though he kept his composure as not to reveal to much of this.

Then there was the young lass that locked eyes with him. Indeed, Ospray couldn't help but to notice her beauty. Never had he seen such an extraordinary creature, that his senses were rocked as to be expected for any 16 year old male. Although, unlike many of his kind, Ospray knew how to control himself. Thus as he meet her gaze, he gave a slight bow of his head, as a friendly way of saying hello.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Sernonus spoke to the girl in their native tongue and the doe like girl sprang away, followed by a few others. He looked at Ospray and smiled. “She will get you plants, like you asked. As well as some nuts, there are many around this time of year.”

The stagman knelt down on his legs, sitting next to Ospray. “We are about to sleep through the night, you can sleep with us, and in the morning tide we will pass that rock you wish to see.” He spoke to the others who were circled around the small fire they had going that was mostly just a pile of red coals now that glowed in the darkness of the night.

The young doe returned and she sat on the other side of Ospray laying out a large leaf filled with greens and peeled nuts. She picked up a nut and offered it to him. The giggling of the group of girls she was with erupted from the other side of the coals, and she gave them a stern look.

She said something to Sernonus, looking at Ospray a few times. Sernonus nodded. “Mikkayla says you are welcome to sleep on her this night, if you wish. It is not uncommon for us to sleep together in these cooling nights.”

She said something else and Sernonus shook his head and said something back, making her bow her head. Then looked at Ospray, his face changing from stern to more welcoming. “Would you like to share her warmth?”

Post by Guest »

As the leaf was brought before him, Ospray looked at it with ravishing eyes. Though his stomach was more pleased at the sight than anything else. Combined with what was given to him at the village, he ripped through the leaf eating everything like a blender. After he was finished he gave his thanks, but as soon as he heard the question his face went from refreshed to a broke look of surprise.

For a few moments he sat silent thinking to himself as to what he would do. Here Ospray was in a bit of a pickle. To say yes, he feared, would lead to something more than it should. Indeed, he could tell the young doe like girl had some sort of infatuation with him, and while he did admire her beauty, the feeling wasn't mutual. Thus the other option. If he said no, Ospray envisioned he would cause some sort of dispute and possibly jeapordize his chance of finding the tower-like rock.

After this, Ospray turned to Sernonus and replied, "If you have room, I would be honored to sleep here tonight. Please tell Mikkayla that I do appreciate the gesture, but I think I will be alright tonight." He was unsure as to what his response would bring, but Ospray did have his reasons. While he could have said yes to Mikkayla's request, Ospray knew that more than likely it would lead to a bad situation, which would lead the doe like girl down a false path. To do such a thing, in Ospray's world, is a vile act, and even though it would lead him closer to his goals, he wasn't about to sacrifice his honor.

With that he waited for the event to unfold itself.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

As the Mikkayla watched his response her face faded, the happy smile dimmed. She could tell what he was saying, or just reading his expression. Sernonus nodded to Ospray. “I understand, Ospray, humans must be like the adhiel.” He turned to Mikkayla.

As he spoke to her she interrupted him. There seemed to be quite a debate between the two. Finally he spoke and she nodded, to both of them, turning and going back to the group of girls who were all giving Ospray a very dirty look.

“She is young, and does not understand.” He looked like he wanted to say more but looked out over the herd. “I will let you rest. We wake early and move. You should sleep.” He turned and leapt off, heading back the way he came.

The others were all lying down, grouping up for heat it seemed. They would group in pairs or often more. It did not appear that sex mattered to this group when it came to sleeping together; males were with males and females with females, or combinations. The young looked like they were community care; a couple of them looked hard to tell who the real mother was, leaping from different females for attention.

Post by Guest »

In noticing Mikkayla's actions, Ospray did feel somewhat guilty for angering the young doe-girl, but he was sure it was the right thing to do. Though he did find Sernonus' remark about humans being like the adhiel a bit surprising. Ospray had never really given much thought, nor study, into the social habits of their culture. With Sernonus saying this, it only made him wonder more. Still it was a trifle of a subject which could be saved for a later date.

Looking around at how the males, females and children of Sernonus' tribe acted his interest in them increased even more. Perhaps his actions with young Mikkayla were a bit pre-judgemental, but Ospray had never dealt with those of another culture before. Well not counting the adhiel from before. As to the group of females shooting him a dirty look, Ospray only sighed and began to prepare for bed. From his bag he pulled out his wool blanket and wrapped it around himself like a cloak. After doing so, he found a nice spot by a tree still in the area of the camp fire. The night air was a bit chilly which caused him to slightly shiver. He furthered wrapped the blanket around him almost like a cocoon and began to wonder about the morning.

In the process of falling asleep, Ospray was to some degree filled with excitement as he was getting closer to finding the rock. The excitement was enough to keep him awake all night but soon he was starting to fall asleep. At the same time he began to wonder how he could repay the hospitality that he was treated to. Already he made somewhat of a bad impression, but still it was only proper to give something in return. The question is in what way? Although, such matters would be left to attend to in the morning as Ospray was deep in his slumber.

Post by Guest »

With the morning came a new day and a new chance to make a good impression. Sernonus rose to his feet in one fluid motion, stepping carefully over just-stirring adhiel until he reached Ospray. He gave the man's shoulder a careful shake. "Wake up, it is time to move," he announced, raising his voice for the benefit of the adhiel around him. Packs began to fill and light chatter filled the air as the tribe woke to a new day.

Sernonus gave Ospray another shake as a failsafe, then wandered off to find some breakfast. Tribes on the move didn't often stop for a hot breakfast and today was no exception. Preserved food would be good enough, stranger or no. Sernonus shook his head at the memory of last night. Mikkayla had been foolish. Surely she should have known that humans had different customs than did the adhiel. Anyway, it would probably be best if Ospray avoided the young woman for the time being. He would not allow one awkward moment to make their guest feel uncomfortable. It was not the adhiel way, and it smoothing things over would take time Sernonus did not want to lose. He cast another glance over at the sleeping human to make sure he was moving.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Ospray awoke from the voice and shakes due to Sernonus. If he was to cast a view in Ospray's direction he would see the human already up and about. Though Ospray was still half awake he was taking his blanket and gave it a good whip to get the leaves and dirt off of it. After completing this task he stuffed it into his bag and was ready to proceed. Although, with not having much to pack, Ospray was able to work in a quick morning stretch. With a quick jolt, he bent forward grabbing his ankles and held it there for a few moments. In addition he stretched his arms and back which a few of his bones gave a loud crack.

Once finished Ospray looked around at all of the others getting ready for the travel. In viewing a few of Sernonus's tribe, he could tell that travel was apart of this group's life style which incurred more of his wonder about them. While deep in thought, as usual, his stomach gave a loud growl which broke his thought. His hands grabbed it in reaction as if to hush it, out of embarrassment. In truth, Ospray did consume alot of food, but such an notion is quite common considering the lifestyle he lead. In his mind he began to wonder if a town or a village would be on his pathway after he came to the tower-like rock. It has been some time since he had a warm bath, and he could tell one was due real soon.

With that he began to look around for Sernonus as he could see many were ready to go.

Post by Guest »

Sernonus looked up from his food and smiled to see Ospray coming toward him. "Morning, young friend!" he cried. "I am sure you must be hungry. Sit, eat." He pulled some dried food out of a packed and offered to Ospray. In spite of the fact that it was preserved, the food was just as delicious as if it were fresh. It was a lovely morning, and the calm of the forest promised a good day for traveling. Sernonus smiled to himself. It was days like this that convinced him that houses were too much like prisons. It was only in nature that one could be completely free.

He turned to Ospray. "What do think of our herd, human?"

Post by Guest »

Still in a somewhat sleepy state, Ospray returned the greeting with one of his own. At Sernonus's invitation, he sat down beside him and took the meal handed. "Hmm! This is pretty good!", he said as he devoured all the food. As Ospray was eating he could feel the calm that came with the morning. It was really the first time he had felt and sort of peace, and it was a nice change from all that had happened.

While basking in the sunlight, he replied, "Well I must say I have never seen any of your kind before. The only thing to my knowledge that can come close is a race of creatures called centaurs, and that is only from word of mouth. Although, I think your herd is quite interesting and filled with those of a good soul." After a slight pause, Ospray then stated, "I'm sure many here have a mixed views about myself, but I guess that is to be expected." Afterwards he went back to eating the small portion of food that was left. Ospray knew that a good day's walk was ahead and he would need the energy for the trip.

Though in this, he began to think then said to Sernonus, "If I may ask Sernonus, could you explain to me what is this war you are preparing for, and what has become of the adhiel?"

Post by Guest »

Well, I guess this is the end.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"We.... do not know. As was said, they walk the path of man now. Mother does not speak of them. Our people and them have been allies and brethren for many seasons. Of late that changed. While we still respect the pact of old, we are brethren no more. They fight a battle of their own. If the Mother asks we shall fight by their side. What troubles me is that we know not whether that will be so. Maybe our futures hold different battles." Maybe we shall clash in the future. The last sentence was left unsaid though. The centaur like creature looked at Ospray and shrugged.

"We are going north. Mother's will shall be made known to us in time. You are welcome to come and see for yourself once your quest to the black stone tower is done. Perhaps you shall learn of your purpose in life there. I know little of this stone tower of yours. We have never journeyed close to it. It is not an evil place. That I know." Sernonus ate as he spoke. He shared the little he had with Ospray. Of the female cervytaurs none approached the young human. Some sort of agreement was reached during the night. He was left alone. Only the large male by his side ventured more than a few paces from him.

The herd was getting ready to move. Seeing how they made no shelters and used no covers, it was ready very soon. A couple of burns was all it took. Several of the bow armed males galoped ahead, while the others spread around. An old female came to Sernonus and spoke a few words to him in that strange tongue of theirs. As she spoke she pointed to where the children were gathered and circled by several females. The herd leader nodded and turned to human by his side. "We are ready to move. Do you think you can keep up? We move fast."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

Ospray made a slight expression after Sernonus expression, and was curious as to what the creature was thinking. Though if it was important, it would be revealed in time, at least how he saw it. Looking around it seemed that the herd was waiting on him. After eating what was given to him, Ospray rose from his setting position and slightly dusted off the leaves and dirt that was on him. In looking he noticed his cloths were pretty dirty, but it would have to wait.

Once up he grabbed his bag and tossed it over his right shoulder. With that he said, "Ready to go when you are." Although in the back of his mind sinked in what Sernonus said about the stone tower and also more wonder about it. He says there is no evil to it, yet they never travel near it? His train of thought was broken by the hustle and bustle of the herd moving. Realizing he would be left behind, he walked while saying to his gracious host, "Perhaps when my business is concluded I might rejoin your herd if my journey permits. I am curious to learn more about this "Mother" you speak of."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

A single word and the herd was on the move. It was not a very fast pace, but it was a bit faster than was comfortable for humans. Over a couple of days it would be hard to keep up. For half a tide it would be no problem. Sernonus did not talk much. In fact, he was silent for a few burns. Then suddenly he turned and nodded to the human by his side. Placing the hand upon his shoulder the cervytaur spoke once more.

"Mother is a goddess. She is the mother of Tazlure. She is in the land, in the grass and in the trees. She makes the seasons change and fruit ripen. She is the ever changing. Us creatures of the forest are her children. We understand that there is an order of things. Everything ages. Everything dies. It is the way of the world. Humans and adhiel of late seems to have forgotten that. That is why I said that adhiel are on the path of humans now. They are still her children, but they don't listen to her anymore. They separated themselves from the rest of the world. Maybe that brought the great evil that made us move. Maybe not. We shall know when we gather. Or not. It is all the same."

The hand left Ospray's shoulder. "You are welcome to come. Maybe you will hear her speak. Maybe you will be one with the world once more. We shall see. Good travels, Ospray." With that he galloped forward, leaving the human to walk in silence as the rest of the tribe kept their distance. None approached. Even if they did, how many knew the Human language?

The sun was well over the horizon when Sernonus came back. Or rather, waited for the human to catch up with him. Pointing towards a side path, that was heavily obscured with the foliage, he offered advice. "This is where we part ways, should you chose to go on. Walk along the path until you come to the stone you seek. I have never ventured down that way, but I have heard it is there. Good luck and good hunting."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

Eventually catching up to him, it was all Ospray could do to listen to Sernonus' words. Managing to muster up his strength, Ospray looked down at the side path which layed before him. "Thank you very much", he said to the creature, in deep and heavy breaths. Performing a very polite bow, he said to Sernonus, "Safe travelling for you and your herd. If we do not meet again in the future, best of times in the war."

After watching the herd continue on into the distance, Ospray needed a short rest after such an intensive run. Laying against a tree to regroup his energy, he began to envy Sernonus' kind for their ability to travel as they do. Running a great distance, especially with caring a bag, was no easy task for the young human. In due time, his mind drifted to wondering more about the "Mother" that was mentioned. Ospray held no doubts about this being that could produce the world. Very strangle, it seemed this was a god Sernonus and his people worshiped, but they held peculiar aspects about this "Mother". This was enough to perk his interest, but that would be latter on.

Though one item the creature did say that made the young human wonder was this notion about the elves turning to the ways of men. From his previous encounters with Elves, Ospray had a hard time picturing how they could act like humans? Once his energy was restored, he looked up and noticed the day was about to end. Nightfall would make traveling difficult, but in these woods who knows what may jump out. With that Ospray lifted his bag up and proceeded down the path before him. Though due to the thickness of the trees he was being beaten with limbs and vines. It would slow him down, but he was determined to make it to the stone tower before dark.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Trees obscured the skies. For a path not used often it was fairly clear of foliage. As if the greens themselves were reluctant to intrude. Thin spear of sunlight filtered through the leaves above lighting the pat somewhat. All in all it was not so difficult to follow it. The forest was calm. Birds chirped unseen and the scent of earth was heavy in the air. The ground was hard under Ospray's feet. Still, the great stone pillar was nowhere in sight.

It took him a better part of tide to finally come close enough. From time to time the empty patches in the leaves allowed for a glimpse or two of the great stone pillar. Rising over a hundred and fifty feet high it dwarfed even the great trees that grew around it. Suddenly the forest ended and a great clearing showed itself to the human. The great stone pillar was a part of a bigger structure. Carved from a great piece of rock a temple of sorts stood in the middle of a large clearing. Only grass and an occasional flower grew there. There was no hope of approaching unseen.

Nothing moved on the ground around the temple. Nothing moved within from what was visible at the clearing's edge. The great stone pillar looked more like a tower now. Windows were drilled in the outer surface at irregular intervals. It stood to the right of a great archway that lead into the temple. NO door barred the way. The path continued onward towards the great stone doors. About a hundred paces before the door a road started. Covered in fine white stones it led right to the gates.

Post by Guest »

As Ospray stood before the grand structure, he was left in wonderment as to this building before him. It was a no brainer this building wasn't constructed naturally, but he found it odd there seemed to be not a soul around; on the outside it seemed. Coming from the trail he stepped out into the clearing with caution and bravery at the same time. With the windows on the tower, he gazed into their direction to see if anyone was watching him. To his disappointment he couldn't find a soul.

Moving forward he stepped into the clearing and passed through the gates onto the stone road. Walking on these white stones Ospray thought who ever the architect or owner of this temple was, put forth a good deal of money to construct it. However, another possibility was this building was the result of some magic. Though it boggled his mind, he passed it off with little importance. A trifle for another day. Moving along the road, he still was in amazement at how the tower suppressed the trees in height, yet wondering why was it placed in such a clearing? Nevertheless he pressed on up the road to the main archway.

Once there he began to look back at the clearing. The sight of the thick forest then the clearing was a scene of contradiction upon viewing. With a great push he opened the door into the temple. Slowly he moved just a few paces into the building from the door way. Here he looked around and called out in a great voice, "Hello! Is anyone here?"

Return to “T'aquar Archive”