A new life in an old home (South Weald, Jygust 30th)

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

A new life in an old home (South Weald, Jygust 30th)

Post by Thrandil »

The past few days were spend travelling on the road. It wasn't something these Adhiel were unknown with, as all were military or in exile because of the war. Thrandil had led them. Those who could handle a weapon, carried one (or more in the case of the Emerald Guards). Those who did not walked in the center of the group. Their rations were still good enough to go a few days without trouble. It was only now that the former Guardsman knew that things would get harder.

Home to the former Capital City, Taloh Tel’Amrun, the river Awyl branched from the lake of Mere de la Lune creeping far northward, passing between Brie and King’s Court for many days travel to where it connected with the river of Runya. The southern weald was where the main battle of Taloh Tel’Amrun was fought, and where the scorched earth, blackened stumps, and ashes of the great southern arm of T’aquar can still be found. This is a vast region of dunes of ash and hills covered with burnt trees like broken teeth for nearly a week’s travel in nearly any direction. Small villages and isolated dwellings dot the outskirts of the burned and blasted weald.

The looks of T'aquar, or at least what was left of the southern part of it, were quite unsettling as any other time he'd seen it after the War. A shiver ran up his spine. Maybe, just maybe, everything would be better on the other side of the Runya, the river that divided parts of T'aquar. They would take the shortest route, between the tree stumps, over hills, through the fields of ashes. He'd given the Emerald Guardsmen the task to lead the force, going point, while one of them stayed behind as a rear guard.

In the meantime, Thran used the ashes to blacken his arms and face. His trousers were tucked inside his boots, so it would not stir anything too much. This is where Pan leads me, this is where I'll go he thought as he used the ashes to darken his clothes too. He gave one of the able bodied men his bladed staff, and told the group he'd move parallel to them, hiding whenever he could, trying to move about as quiet as he could. If someone, adhiel or human or orc would try to surprise them, the Bloodling had one surprise up his sleeve for them. He wouldn't shoot to kill unless they were Orc or definately Oneist or Western Kingdom scum.

During his travelling he'd signal them to rest every tide for a minimum of ten marks, just so he could track a bit back and see they weren't followed. He would take no chances on this. He didn't know who was here, only heard the rumours of skirmishes between adhiel and westerners. He didn't want to hurt his own people, but didn't want to get hurt either.
Last edited by Thrandil on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

The ruins of Taloh Tel'Amrun were something out of a horrific nightmare. Where children once played was blackened and burnt. The trees were scorched and twisted from the flames, both natural and Aetheric, leaving behind an alien landscape of charred tree trunks and dead, bare branches that reached for the sky like unearthly feral claws. Where families once ate meals together was ash and dust and burnt earth. Where a magnificent city once stood, now there was only the whispers of ghosts, and the painful memories of what once was.

Moving through the dunes of ash was simple and quiet. Their footsteps landed in soot and muffled their footfalls, and the blowing dust and ash blew in wispy clouds with the wind, obscuring passage and leaving no trace.

One of Thrandil's scouts stopped quickly, suddenly standing upright. Three figures emerged from the dunes, wearing sand and gray colored cloth to camouflage them. It seemed they were using the same cover of ash and dust to hide them, just as Thrandil and his band used it to cover their own movements.

The three figures' features were obscured with thick scarves and filmy robes and hoods. Their weapons were familiar, yet none carried anything known to Thrandil or his people.

The musical language of the Adhiel flowed from one of them, the voice was familiar somehow, but the inflection of the words was different.

"Stop outworlders. You have no place here. Best to turn back and find a new path."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran stopped as his scout did, his free hand going behind his head, ready to pick an arrow from the quiver. It was then he saw the camouflaged figures and their words in a flowing adhiel. The person who spoke seemed familiar by voice, but he couldn't quite it. As he assumed a neutral stance, Thran stepped out from his hiding, his hands away from the weapons he carried.

"Eabh ta seodhiu inaidha" he said, his voice as musical and flowing as that of the stranger. "We mean you no harm," he continued, "and neither are we outworlders. Three of these men are Emerald Guards, the others are craftsmen who have fled to Pax Balthasar during the War. Their homes were built on the ground we are occupying right now. I myself am known by the name Thrandil Mael-Muire, former lieutenant of the Emerald Guard, trusted friend of Commander Draydis d'Anorre. Please let us find a place to speak."

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The figure took a few steps closer, unwrapping the scarf from his face as he did so. The others relaxed a bit as well, but their weapons were merely put at the ready, and not put away as if they greeted friends.

When the last of scarf was unwound, Thrandil recognized the face of Kormus, another from the famed Emerald Guard ranks. By the way Kormus stood, it was clear that he intended for them to speak right where they were standing.

"Thrandil Mael-Muire. Well that is something I had not expected."

Kormus's eyes, as well as the eyes of his as of yet unrevealed companions scanned Thrandil's party, perhaps looking for something or someone.

"State your business here sir."

It was clear that whatever honors and accolades that Thrandil had earned in the service of the Tari meant little or nothing to Kormus and his patrol.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran tried not to show any hint of surprise on his face. Not because he thought the man was dead, more so because they didn't have such a good history together. He could remember once that he, Thrandil, as a fresh Emerald Guard had taken a shot at Kormus when he was arguing with Laliel Saeliu.

"I'm trying to bring these men and women back to their homeland. To once again live with their own people. When I'm sure they reach their destination, I'm here to pick up weapons against the Western Kingdom, King's Court to be more exact. Justice to those who brought this to us." he said and moved his arm to indicate the lands they were standing on.

"Yet I will not take my arms up with Commander Draydis or that treacherous Raevyn again. The Emerald Guard, or what's left of it under Draydis' command, seems no more than a band of soldiers who are following a religious zealot. Tell me, Kormus, what has happened? Have you yourself quit the Guard as I did?" he asked the captain.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Kormus seemed unaffected by Thrandil's brave words. If anything he seemed to sniff disdainfully at the new arrivals and gave a flat, disapproving look to one of his people.

He crouched down and clawed at the dirt and ash with his slender fingertips, sweeping away dust and soot until he unearthed a small round object. He stood back up and continued to clean the object and at last blew on it to reveal a small, blackened bone button in the flat of his palm.

He then tossed it away casually.

"What you knew here before is gone. Taloh Tel'Amrun is but a distant memory. The people you speak of are dead. We are a new people now."

He stared at the arrivals coldly, aloof and distant himself. Something in his voice was strange and alien.

"The eye burned us away. Begone! There is nothing for you here. What you seek is gone forever. The old ways were shredded thinner and thinner until at last there was nothing there. Like a drop of blood in the Awyl, the old has been carried away and diluted until it was no more."

He began to wrap the scarf around his face again, his voice was muffled as he spoke.

"You are a ghost Thrandil Mael-Muire. Seek new bones elsewhere. You will not find your old ones here."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil pondered the words head for just a flicker. If he was a ghost, he'd be a fighting one. Fighting for T'aquar. No matter what Kormus would say.

"It might be true what you say, Kormus. It may be but a distant memory, and the people might have changed, but my loyalty to these lands has not. The old ways might be diluted, but I'm sure there are those who remember them and are willing to fight for them again. Is it not the Dominican tyranny that drove it away?" the former Guard said, his eyes set on Kormus, a fiery determination in them.

"If you think I'm a ghost, I will stay a ghost. What's better to drive away Westerners than ghosts of the Adhiel who had seemingly died on the hands of their army? I don't say all are bad, for I have seen quite a few good ones, but not those who stand by the actions their army has committed." he continued and saluted Kormus. "I bid you adieu, Captain." he said and signaled his men to move, deeper into T'aquar to see whether somewhere there would be a settlement.

He turned his head and wanted to walk away, but he turned back to Kormus. "Are there still any cities up and running? Cairbara? Kes'levy? And what about the old guard? Still any officers walking around?" he asked, and waited for the answer.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Kormus and his people stood directly in the path of Thrandil and his followers. Clearly Kormus viewed them as outsiders, and that the conversation wasn't finished either. Their weapons were still at the ready, although not bold and bared in the presence of the newly arrived Adhiel.

"Hold there Thrandil Mael-Muire. Without word from the Achlaroiliu, you cannot enter."

Kormus made a strange gesture with his hand. He waved the flat of his palm over the top of his head and then down over his right shoulder. His hand then fell to the pommel of his sword.

"The word of the Achlaroiliu is law. Do you accept that law?"
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil stopped as Kormus had told him so. The man was doing what was best for T'aquar, or at least what he thought was best for T'aquar. He wasn't an enemy, not anymore.

The former general nodded at the words of the captain. "I've promised these people to bring them back to what once was their home and I do everything I can to do so. If these lands are under the law of tha Achlaroiliu, I will respect that law as I respect any law of the places I visit." he said and motioned for the others to wait too. "What is it I can do to get the word of the Achlaroiliu?" he asked Kormus, his hands staying away from his weapons, showing his peaceful nature.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Kormus seemed pleased by Thrandil's acquiescence, and marked a place in the ash with a bootheel.

"Pile your weapons there. Everything, leave nothing hidden. A concealed weapon is a concealed intention, and will not be forgiven. When the Achlaroiliu has given consent, they will be returned to you."

Kormus' people stiffened, expecting resistance. The creak of leather and the tightening of bowstrings could be heard on the gentle breeze.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil nodded slowly and glanced over to the bows that got strung, "I gave my word. No need to take a hostile approach. I will surrender my weapons for now". As he unbuckled the belt that held his sword and took placed it at the indicated place, he asked "Do all of us have to go to the Achlaroiliu or only me?" and continued by placing his bow on the pile as well as his staff. He even took off his quiver and put it with the rest. The belt from which the Goblet of Pan and the Horn of the Hunter were hanging remained in place, for they were no weapons, and they were holy artefacts.

If all of them had to see the Achlaroiliu or had to put their weapons down, Thrandil would order them to do so.

"Now what is it I have to do, Kormus? Are we to go somewhere, or what?" he asked the former captain as he took a passive stance, waiting for Kormus to continue.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"All who would walk within need the consent of the Achlaroiliu." Kormus replied, his tone sounding more like the intonation of a priest than of a seasoned warrior.

As the others acquiesced, Kormus watched each very carefully, making certain that all their weapons were secured. When all were finished, Kormus continued on. Whatever familiarity that had existed between Kormus and Thrandil seemed not to affect Kormus in the least. His posture and demeanor were stiff and sullen.

"We will make our way northwards, along the mystic Awyl until we reach Llèrionn bir Uilisruth, the River Gate. There is to be a gathering there, and the Achlaroiliu will be present. You can speak your petitions there."

He surveyed the newcomers carefully, regarding them with violet, baleful eyes.

"Any who try to escape or flee into the Wealds will be hunted, and exterminated. No exceptions, no further warnings. Is this understood?"
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil acknowledged their journey. "A gathering... at the river gates..." he mumbled. "Yes," Thrandil said, "We understand. For T'aquar, we will not try anything.".

He would let the rest of his troupe go where they were asked to. When they were somewhat away, he tried to stick to Kormus. "Kormus, could you tell me more of this gathering? I understand if you can not though." he asked the former officer. "And there's something else..." he said, wanting to look the other way, but forcing himself to look towards Kormus, "I'm sorry about what happened. The shot I took at you. I might have misjudged the situation in the heat of the moment. I hope you won't hold it against me."

He looked forth again, his green eyes trying to read the ashen plains.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Kormus led the troupe northwards, out of the destroyed and desolate Weald of Sorrow through the awkward border between the damaged, surviving trees, and into the forest of the southern Weald itself.

Kormus and his people moved through the woodland like stalking panthers. They were light and fast as they picked their way along game trails and natural ridge lines in the forest.

When Thrandil came alongside Kormus in the woods, the Raidhiel glanced over at him with a flat expression.

"The Gathering was called by the Achlaroiliu. Much like the councils of old, there is much to be discussed. Much to be decided upon."

There was a moment of something else lingering in the air, like Kormus wanted to say more, but was holding back. Like a good soldier, he kept silent about the details, until it was safe to reveal more.

When the Emerald Guardsman spoke his apology. the stoic Kormus made no expression, and stated simply.

"Salve for your conscious is not necessary Thrandil Mael-Muire. We live, we endure. Against what has happened, it is nothing."

The walk to Llèrionn bir Uilisruth took perhaps three marks and was a relatively easy journey. The carpet of leaves and needles was less here, and the spaces between the trees themselves was spread further apart in this younger part of the woodlands. As they neared the River Gate, they began to see evidence of more Adhiel in the area. Other patrols, a small group of Shapers, hooded and cloaked pilgrims, all making their way to sacred Llèrionn bir Uilisruth.

The River Gate itself was something beautiful to behold after much time away from it. It was bridge over the deep and flowing waters of the river Awyl. Four independently standing columns reached towards the open sky and the heavens above. The columns had been shaped to resemble four beautiful, almost angelic figures standing with their arms reaching upwards, and further height was added by the windswept cloaks the figures were wearing being carried into the sky by some unseen force or a powerful wind. The expression on their magically carved faces, was one of intense, expectant rapture, as if the two males and two females were reaching towards their savior.

On the southern side of the bridge, were hundreds of Adhiel that had gathered together. Raidhiel dressed similarly to Kormus and his people stood on the bridge, and turning people away from the northern shore. The far side was empty, no one person stood in the northern boundary of the Weald, for the other side was the sacred heart of the forest. The northern side was Siorigaichiu , the Evergreen, the sacred heart of the Woodland Realm of T'aquar.

There were familiar faces among the gathered. Old friends, relatives and comrades could be found, and the gentle smiles that blossomed upon seeing the newcomers was indication enough that there was joy tempered through fire that still lingered here. Clearly these were a people that were still haunted by the past, and it was plain to see they knew it was a battle not yet over.

Kormus allowed Thrandil and his people short conversations and interactions with others, but he kept them brief and continued to usher them forward until the reached an area that was surrounded by the Raidhiel. They were grouped together with some others. strangers some, captives all. There were even familiar faces among the Raidhiel, but their duty to the seriousness of their task would not allow much contact or conversation.

More Adhiel streamed in from many different directions, their pilgrimage carrying them here to await word from the Achlaroiliu. There was an almost palpable sense of expectation in the air.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Please continue here;

:)
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Locked, skilled, archived

Return to “T'aquar Archive”