The Evergreen - Caoimhe, Jygust 30th Morningtide

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Caoimhe
Civus

The Evergreen - Caoimhe, Jygust 30th Morningtide

Post by Caoimhe »

Siorigaichiu. It is a dark place, Caoimhe thought as she traversed the soft ground of the central weald. Her fingers swept over ancient bark - humbled by it's age, by the wisdom of these trees that remained and protected them. She closed her eyes and breathed in the smells of the forest. Decaying leaf matter and blooming flowers were palpable, especially in the morning air that was damp with dew and laced with promise of a day of exploration for the young healer.

Her narrow body cut between the undergrowth, and barefoot she made little sound. The adhiel carried a small backpack which housed her essentials for travel - it wasn't much, but it was enough to get her through a day and a night. Beyond that, she'd be at the whim of Atara Arda who could at times be a cruel mistress. Still, Caoimhe thought little of the 'could be' situations, and pressed more toward the fact that she was free of the constraints of home and could perhaps find some manner of entertainment beneath the canopy of trees. It was a dangerous place she wandered toward, but the elfess was blissfully unaware.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

As she picked her way through the sacred heart of the woodlands, she could almost feel the trees enveloping her in their emerald embrace. A feeling that could be both comforting and forbidding. The forest was quiet this morningtide. Only the occaisional call of a bird or the rustle of branches from a passing squirrel overheard penetrated the vast silence of theSiorigaichiu.

Quick and light, she rapidly moved through the trees. With purpose and direction, she could have been near any of the inner boundaries within a few marks at the pace she kept, but since this was a morning of exploration and wandering exploration, she simply moved quickly from tree to tree, and from stone to stone unimpeded.

It was then and there she stood before something she'd seen many times before, only this time something was very different. Before her lay a large, calm pool. Foinsàl li Uiliu, the Wellspring. The trees around it were immense and ancient, as if drinking from that water had made them taller and stronger than any tree anywhere else in the forest. This was not what was amiss from her memories of this place, it was the Warders surrounding it. Seven sharp spears and their stalwart wielders stood around the pool at various points. One of them, just a few dozen paces away glanced warily in her direction. His eyes danced over her, both assessing threat and admiring her lithe form. At least he did until he recognized her. Then he stiffened his posture even further before resuming his vigil. This was a common reaction from those in the ranks of the Raidhiel. Her father Qurraine was their Commander, and he had long forbidden them to woo his daughter. It was the source of one of the old arguments between them.

A figure crouched near the pool. She recognized him immediately as Jallin Quor, the Master Shaper. He stared into the pool's depths, as if searching for something spiritual and profound. No one outside of the inner boundaries even knew he still lived, and even then, only an elite few knew. His home was something of a state secret, although Caoimhe's father once remarked to her mother that the young Shaper was something of an enigma. He lived in the deep woods far away from any other, and although his skills and talent were vast, he offered little to help the struggling people of T'aquar. Instead he chose to live out in the wilderness, for the most part alone and unfettered by responsibilities. At least none that Caoimhe had ever heard or knew.

He looked up and saw her. Although the Shaper had a reputation for being rather cold and unfriendly, he managed something resembling a smile, although it did not come across like an invitation.
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

Dancing and twirling between the trees, the young elfess sang a happy little song to herself in bright melodies while she was alone. Her voice was soft and airy as she bounced around and jumped from roots onto rocks and felt the cold dew on the bottoms of her toes. Fingers wisked ove the bark, but it was so strong that she could fasten herself right to it without fear of it flaking or breaking. Such was the nature of the trees in the depths.

Skipping from behind a large trunk, she knew she was drawing close to the Wellspring, but she didn't slow her approach. Finding an open area she tightened her backpack to her and gave a playful cartwheel, giggling as she fell onto the soft ground before pushing off of it and brushing off debris that she'd picked up before strutting further forward between the monolith trees.

Caoimhe left behind her giggling and singing as the sanctuary feeling of the Wellspring started to overtake her. This place felt more like a church than any other in the world could, or so she believed. How could any temple compare? she wondered, while feeling the ever-growing sensation of awe that came from this land, these trees, this place that was so close to Atara Arda.

Perhaps that was why her footsteps became even more quiet upon her approach, so that by the time she came upon the Wellspring itself she was practically tiptoeing, as if to sneak up upon the Mother Goddess herself while she worked in the depths of the fount. Upon seeing the Warder she gave a hushed gasp, her hand involuntarily going to her chest as if to hold her rapidly beating heart in the constraints of her rib cage. His appreciative glance wasn't lost on the girl, and upon recovering from her initial surprise she gave him a coy smile and a flirtacious little wave. She knew how her father was toward them, but that didn't mean she couldn't still have fun. What was the sense of being a temptation if not using it to it's full potential?

Wandering closer to him, she was the epitome of innocence and curiosity with big green eyes and pouted lips. She'd thought him to be alone at first, but upon her movement she saw the other spears jutting from the other Warders who surrounded the Wellspring and a surprising figure who was within the safety of their protection. Quickly, the first Warder was forgotten in favor of the Master Shaper, whom she bowed toward deeply. "I'm sorry, I hope I'm not interrupting," she said quietly.
[size=75]The only trouble with resisting temptation is that you may not get another chance
Avatar by *[b][url=http://pu.deviantart.com/]Pu[/url][/b][/size]
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Raidhiel said nothing, but his eyes told a different story completely as his gaze traveled over Caoimhe several times as she neared. His throat and mouth worked quickly as he swallowed roughly and his hand gripped and re-gripped his hold on the spear. He set his back straight and locked his knees, clearly intent on not disobeying his Commander. As she moved past him, he grew more comfortable and should she glance back, she would see his obvious relief.

Master Shaper Quor took in the sight of the lovely young girl and her gesture of respect for him carefully, perhaps cautiously.

"Caoimhe isn't it? You are Qurraine's daughter are you not?"

He beckoned her closer and his expression changed from deep concentration to sudden curiosity.

"No need to apologize. I was simply trying to figure out the solution to a problem. I am interested in why you are here. The last person to come this way has been quite a while ago. Come. Sit and tell me your story."
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

Caoimhe had to work hard to not let a playful smirk dance over her sustained innocent features. It wasn't easy work to be a proper tease and not let it show you were trying! She schooled her features with elegant practice, and as she turned away, she caught his relief out of the corner of her eye. With a taunting gleam, she turned over her shoulder and gave him a wink, her pink tongue just barely visible between her pouty lips as it explored the grooves of her teeth. Oh! How she wanted to spend more time playing with the Raidhiel! It wasn't often she got to see them away from her father's reproachful eye.

Now wasn't the time for such mischief, she reasoned, though, as her attention was fully on the Shaper and quite involved with bending over in a deep bow, more fully showing off her pert bottom to the Raidhiel behind her. Such cruelty knows no bounds like that of a beautiful woman amidst men with such yearnings, she'd heard it once, and the line stuck in her mind.

"I am Caoimhe, yes," she responded once righting to her proper stature. "Daughter of Qurraine and Aoife," the girl said with a nod. "And you are the Master Shaper, Jallin Quor. Many thought you dead. I, too... thought you to have been lost to the hold of Atara Arda."

As he told her he wished for her to sit and tell her story, she felt the same tightness in her throat as the guardsman had just flickers before. Her almond shaped eyes widened, but she gave a nod and did as instructed, folding herself next to him where she had a better vision of the vast and deep pool. She was surprised at how warm it was, here, in the open where the sun could properly touch your skin and delve deep into the flesh to places where fire heat just didn't reach. She rubbed a hand over her bare shoulder, both an action of nervousness and of appreciation of the sun-kissed feeling. "I'm not sure I have a story to tell, Master Shaper," she said, skeptical of whether she ought use his name even though she knew it.

"I was just walking - looking at the trees and appreciating their wonder," she smiled. "And, well... maybe getting away. I suppose you can understand that quite well." Here he was, in the Weald, and still he didn't help them? Caoimhe kept the barbs from her tone, but there was a vast gap between them that was visible in her eyes, more out of her being unable to understand him or his purpose. How could he have the power he does and not be helping the trees? She wondered, but she dared not ask. "What problem are you trying to solve?" Caoimhe quiered lightly with genuine interest.
[size=75]The only trouble with resisting temptation is that you may not get another chance
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Quor smiled as she spoke of the information about his death.

"I am sorry to disappoint in regards to my demise. I can never be what I was in death, what I truly am in life." He acknowledged somewhat apologetically as he laughed off the increase in his stature from his apparent death.

"Ah yes. Appreciation of our home. That's good. That's very, very good. I do understand that need very well, and indeed I do share it."

He dipped his fingertips into the pool and let them drift in lazy circles, the ripples from this movement made their way across the wellspring to where Caoimhe sat.

"We all have a story to tell Caoimhe. I shall tell you part of mine now. When Taloh Tel'Amrun was attacked, Queen Myrianna called out to us of the Bhiradun Aidhiquir, to fight the humans. I was here, deep away from the fighting, but the first of my order, Torram Kaballian, was there in the jewel of the forest. He used something called a Silvergate to get the Queen and her retinue to safety. He stayed behind on the other side, and destroyed the Silvergate so that none of the humans could find and use it. He and Governor Ryllinda Harroest gave their lives, so that she might live."

He pulled his hand from the pool, and clutched it close to his chest, as if he needed the warmth or the security of it.

"Torram was my mentor, and my master, and I mourn his loss as much as any other in this world., which brings me to the problem I was trying to solve. We have just finished pushing the inner boundary outwards. It is much closer to the outer boundaries now than ever before. Torram was the creator of the outer boundaries, likely long before you or I were ever born, and so the problem is, how to take his powerful arts, and modify them so that the Thorns and I can adjust them. Move them outwards as well if you will. But his power was far beyond my own, and thus I came here to contemplate a course of action. Either I remove the outer boundaries completely, and recreate them, or I figure out how to rework the Master's weave. Either choice is a difficult one."

A lock of his blond hair strayed into his eyes from a gentle breeze, and he brushed it away absently. He seemed to be lost in thought when he suddenly spoke.

"So then Caoime, daughter of Qurraine and Aoife. If you do not have a story to tell, perhaps you can add to mine. What seems like the easier path to you?"
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

Caoimhe watched the ripples in the water that extended from Quor's fingertip. His violation of the pristine surface gave it's effect across the entirety of the Wellspring, much like the choices of those in power could be felt by every adhiel within the great bounds of T'aquar. She shivered, lost in his question and in it's implications that he didn't know which path was the true one. Were there not elders for such decisions? The young girl wondered.

"How can I attempt to answer you, Master?" She asked, her bright eyes blinking curiously and attentively to any non-verbal answer he might give before continuing. "There is no easy path."

The elfess swallowed, breathed, and began again. "I know nothing of magick, of the things you speak of, but I do know of other things - of gardens and of wounds. As a healer, I've never had the choice to begin again, the same is true of things that grow. One cannot just start again, but must build off of the things that came before it, and all things before will show again. Nothing is truely erased."

Her purposeful fingers flexed and knitted together. "If magick is like these thigs, than your answer should be clear: You must work within the construct of your Master. Use his elements, and strengthen them."

Realizing how forward that could be, her eyes flicked briefly downward. "That is what I would do, Master - but I do not know of these things."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Jallin looked at her intently as she spoke. Whether he was enraptured with her young beauty, or merely interested in her logic was difficult to tell, but he looked on thoughtfully as she expressed her viewpoint.

He nodded silently for a flicker, and his face broke into a grin.

"The reason I asked, was that I wanted an opinion from outside my own thought process. There is something very valuable in an outlook that is not constrained by too much knowledge of the situation. You had some basic facts, and some intuition and prior experience to draw on, but neither of these was with any detailed knowledge of the problems that needs to be solved. That makes you an objective outsider, and that was precisely what I needed. I thank you."

He seemed satisfied with whatever decision he was trying to make. He took a breath and opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by two short blasts from a horn, the familiar signal that someone was arriving in sacred Siorigaichiu.

Quor's eyes narrowed as he looked past Caoimhe back towards where she had come from.

"Someone is coming, is that something you need to be there for, or will you be staying here?"
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

His grin was unexpected. She'd heard him to be a stoic adhiel, one who refrained from such outward displays of emotion, and it gave Caoimhe over to joining him in the smile, displaying a bright, if slightly crooked row of small teeth that had a sharp, square edge to them giving her a somewhat feral appearance - like something wild trained into the form of a young elfess. Light dimples appeared on either side of her generally pouty mouth. His smile, and general demeanor made her much more relaxed than she had been, particularly after answering his question which had left her very uncomfortable.

"It brings me great pride to have helped you, Master," she said, the smile still holding to her soft features. It was swiftly washed away by the violent and sudden outburst of the clear horn blows. When the Shaper's eyes narrowed she couldn't help looking over her shoulder - fully expecting something to be seen. Ahh... but he sees with much more than his eyes, she reasoned as she scrutinized the vast forest where there was no obvious sight of movement or incoming Raidhiel.

His question, though, was an intriguing one. That I need to be there for? But how would I know? Caoimhe pondered this, in the sparse flickers that she looked out into the mass of green and browns that made up what she could see, then, when she'd collected her visage to a calm and sure one, she returned to facing Quor. "I wouldn't be here if I did not need to be. Will you go to those who come, or will you retreat further to the depths of the woods?" She briefly considered whether her father would be among those who were on their way to the Siorigaichiu and whether he would be angry with her for being here. In a way, it appealed to her to have him find her here, with the Master Shaper, speaking of what the Path of Taquar would be. There would be a great satisfaction in this.

"Do you know who approaches?" She asked, her sharp almond eyes daring to meet his, to watch him and his answer, while keeping her apprehension deep and well hidden.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Shaper stood, brushing off his hands by rubbing them together as he reached his feet.

"I will be returning to my home. I'm afraid there is much work to be done, and those there that would be distracted by my presence."

He smiled again briefly before the stoic mask fell back into place.

"It is your father, along with E'uinn and some of the Raidhiel. They have wounded in their midst, and they smell of blood and combat. Your father seems well, but he has blood on his clothes and hands. They are carrying Warder Kormus in a litter."

The words were matter of fact and business like, despite the fact that what he spoke of was somewhat worrying.

"I have enjoyed meeting you and speaking with you daughter of Qurraine and Aoife. Should you have need, I can be found where the Awyl runs smooth like glass, and the rocks not only breathe, but weep."

He began to walk into the forest, and perhaps it was Caoimhe's imagination, but the shadow he cast in the dappled light looked that of a great and wise owl against the forest floor.
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

When Quor rose from his comfortable position, Caoimhe felt as though she ought to as well. She pushed off the ground, dusting off her legs and bottom as she went until she was mirroring his hand motion to get off the last remnants of forest floor debris. The particles drifted lazily toward the ground again, picking up the shimmering light in the open area of the Wellspring. It was one of the few places where the sun shone so brightly.

The Shaper explained who came, and what their troubles were, and she took a deep breath, trying to maintain the same strong fascade as the one that came so naturally to him. Before he could leave her company she wrapped her hand around his, shaking it gently. "Thank you, Master, for sharing my company." Caoimhe released his grasp. "Ibh ealiu eafianiu ta eabh ealiu eafianiu*," she said to his retreating form, and tried her best to memorize that which had described the way to his home. If I'm meant to find him again I shall, she told herself while watching his curious shadow. She blinked a few times and then turned away.

With that, her thumbs slipped between the soft skin of the front of her narrow shoulders and the leather straps of her small backpack to rest in the hollow of her pronounced collar bone, thus tightening the bag to her body as she moved away from the Wellspring toward the place where the horn had sounded, hoping to meet them part-way so she could assess the damage. Though Quor had said her father was uninjured there was a nervousness there - there always had been - whenever he was away. Caoimhe worried that one of the times he went out he wouldn't come home.

"E'uinn and Qurraine come," she said to the Raidhiel who she'd first noticed when approaching, though her seductive tone was dropped for a utilitarian one. "They have injured. We must go to them," she said motioning for him to follow. Whether he would was up to him, but it would be helpful to have some manner of assistant and she wasn't sure she'd fine one capable among those who travelled with her father. Her bare feet pressed against the soft ground as she cut between the enormous tree trunks, climbing over the gigantic exposed roots that tied them to the grace of Atara Arda so that the Raidhiel, if he travelled with her, could see the long expanse of her toned legs as she rolled up her thin cotton skirt to make the movements easier.

*May the Light show you your path.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Raidhiel's eyes traveled appreciatively downward to watch as Caoimhe walked away, but he stayed at the water's edge, loyally staying at his post to guard the sacred waters of the Wellspring. Clearly his mission was to guard that holiest of places, and even to disobey the command of his Commander's daughter. The fact that they would stay seemed odd and out of place, like soldiers guarding a church from the inside.

When she reached the settlement, it was awash in the chaotic din of cries for healers. One Warder wouldn't speak with any other but Aoife, her mother. He screamed for her, in a panicked, desperate plea. That was when the Warder Kormus came into view. He was wrapped in a dark red blanket, which upon closer inspection was a green cloak soaked with his blood. He was being carried in a litter by two of the Raidhiel, and his pale, lifeless form bounced and swayed as they ran forward with him.

Caoimhe's mother came running from their home, looking flushed and pale herself. From her vantage, Caoimhe could see the brief panic in her eyes as she came forward to Kormus' side, and only her daughter was able to discern the slight, almost imperceptible slump of relief as she realized that it was Kormus in the litter and not her father. They set Kormus on the ground and sharp knives began to cut away his armor and clothing, and his terrible wounds were suddenly exposed for all to see. His left arm had been severed with a clean, straight cut just below the shoulder, and a wide, open gash was on the right side of his neck. Several other more minor cuts were all over him, and Aoife's hands and arms were quickly covered in his slick blood as she calmly examined him.

She called for a needle and thread, and with an almost unreal serenity in the midst of the chaos, she began to stitch the stump of his amputated arm closed. Kormus' eyes fluttered for a flicker, but after that, it didn't even appear that he was breathing. Other healers began to arrive, and another began to work on the cut in his neck, blocking Caoimhe's view.

"Your father is well."

A voice said behind her. It was one of the Warders that had been carrying Kormus.

"You looked worried, but he is unhurt. He'll be arriving shortly."
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

"Oh! Piff! Fine, then, just stand around not doing much of anything!" She rolled her large green eyes and turned away from the Raidhiel. Last time you get a second look, she thought to herself as she traversed the forest. Her heart beat fast and furious in her chest as she went, and she wondered how many of her father's men were unlucky enough to be caught in danger's path. That is, how many beyond Kormus, who she had the feeling was dreadfully injured if he was being carried.

By the time Caoimhe reached the settlement her cheeks were flushed pink. She immediately dropped the fine fabric of her skirt so that it could flow down to her curved calves once again. "Atara Arda," she whispered as the chaos caught up around her and she froze. She was a rabbit in a snare. The elfess felt as though she couldn't move, and the words of the Warder (who had somehow gotten behind her in the commotion) made her jump into life. "Oh, thank you," she said as her heart fluttered and she gave him a short, appreciative bow before departing his company for that of her mother to offer her what assistance she could.

"Mother, let me help," Caoimhe said. She dropped her pack of her shoulders and was digging through it for a needle and thread. These she found quickly and was standing again while threading the needle. Her eyes landed on the white gleam within Kormus' destroyed shoulder while her mother made fast work of the most terrible of his wounds. She knew that Aoife would manage it well. "Kormus," she squeezed his remaining good hand tenderly. "Stay with us," the young girl had seen so much death already, and it pained her soul to see another of their numbers so tragically injured.

Scanning his bared form for other wounds (those of less horror than his shoulder or neck) she set to work on sewing up those to keep in as much of his blood as possible. "Water! We need water," she demanded to the din around her and hoped someone might hear her, might listen. She pressed the cuts together to meet the flesh again and pressed her sharp needle to his skin, pushing through it like leather. Her fingers stuck to his skin from the drying blood, leaving her feeling tacky and her hands redstained. So much blood...
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The lesser cuts were easier to manage, and Caoimhe managed some good work as she stitched the wounded Warder's wounds. Her cry for water was echoed by her mother, and the others in the settlement rushed to carry out the commands of their chief healer and her daughter.

Several others needed tending to as well. Battle wounds were often horrible, savage things, but the organization and skill of the healers went a long way towards helping the wounded not only survive, but be well on their way to a full recovery. Kormus was by far the worst off, but Aoife's skillful ministrations had many hopeful he would live. Caoimhe's mother washed her hands in the stream from a waterskin held by another when she had finished her work on the Warder Captain.

"It will be tonight where he fights the hardest to live. If he can last the night, he well have a much better chance tomorrow and the next." She declared wearily.

There were suddenly more Warders in the settlement. More had come in while they had been working, and Caoimhe had been engrossed in helping, that she had not heard the tell tale horn that always announced newcomers. The Achlaroiliu E'uinn and her father had come home, although Achlaroiliu Elevie had still not returned.

E'uinn and Qurraine went immediately to Aoife to check in on the prognosis of Kormus and the trio spoke quietly for a few moments. Caoimhe's father turned to find her, and once he saw the blood on her hands and clothes, he gave her a sympathetic look that mingled with the hint of a smile. He strode softly towards her and in a somewhat uncharacteristic way, he pulled her close and embraced her.

"It does my heart good to see you again my little wonderhead. Your mother tells me you were of great aid with Kormus. We have seen a great deal of death and blood this day. It makes me proud that you rendered assistance here. You and your mother might have saved his life."

Qurraine glanced over her shoulder about the same time she felt a tap at her back. Behind her was the Achlaroiliu E'uinn, and she found herself locked in his startling blue eyed gaze. He held out a bowl for her, filled with Mou rice, Omi beans and brightened with a few wild berries.

"Hungry?" He asked.
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

There was a swift persistance to the work of stiching wounds. Kormus took it well as he passed into unconciousness and allowed for the pair of healers to do their work without the interruption of his movements. It certainly wasn't a painless procedure, but looking at his injuries Caoihme suspect that if he were awake these pinpricks would barely register on his pain scale. She washed the cool water over her hands and over the gashes that covered his body to clean them of debris before sealing it within the confines of her tight sewing.

Somewhere, far away, a horn sounded, but, she moved from one wound to the next, cutting the thick black thread after finishing with one superficial cut and then moving onto the next. It had to be done quickly to ensure he had the best chance of survival. Still, as they were done, she noticed the many faces in the settlement. So engrossed in her work, she'd not heard, seen or noticed them until now.

The young girl both watched and listened to her mother carefully as she spoke of Kormus' chances. It wasn't good news, but, it wasn't as bad as it could be considering his wounds. She nodded dimly. It was still very early in the day, but she was correct, this next few tides would be the most dangerous for him.

The arrival of her father, even after hearing from Quor that he was ok, came as a great relief. "Papa," she said as he gathered her into an unexpected, but tender, nestling. Caoimhe's face pressed into his chest and her fingers grasped onto the back of his shirt, leaving behind small, red fingerprints. "I am glad you are unharmed," she said pulling her face away from his torso and wiping quickly under her eyes, leaving reddish smears beneath them that further accented her bright green orbs. Meeting her father's gaze with pride she saw his attention switch from her to something behind her, and she turned to face it.

"Achlaroilu E'uinn," she said reverently and gave him a small bow of aknowledgement. "Yes, I am very hungry." Caoimhe nodded and offered their leader an eager smile while reaching out a thin arm with dexterous fingers attached for the bowl, only while seeing the bloodstains that seeped into her skin. "But first, I believe I should wash." She politely placed the bowl on the closest surface and set to using the water pouch for rinsing. The healer placed the skin between her knees and tipped it forward enough for some of it's contents to spill out and started rubbing her palms with the help of a small brush which were among the contents of her small pack.

I will never get all this blood off... by the light, please... Most of what she was seeing as blood was a matter of perception, though, brought on by the cold water against the pale skin of her hands turning them pink, and then more raw red as she continued with the scrubbing, almost with a frantic pace. She still wasn't used to it - the sensation and tack of the blood. The water had run clear, but still the young healer scoured her digits, wanting to be clean of the massacres that haunted her people, particularly polishing along and under her nails.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

E'uinn smiled gently as she set the bowl down and began to wash her hands. He watched her for a few flickers before forcing himself to turn away and beckon to Aiofe and Qurraine.

"If it would please you, I would like to properly thank you for the service you have rendered to Kormus this day. If you are able, I would like to invite you to join me for dinner this eveningtide. We are expecting Elevie back as well, and the Warders have earned some rest along with mead and a meal."

His eyes strayed towards Caoimhe appreciatively.

"You are all invited of course...."
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

As Caoimhe washed she got the sneaking (and growing) suspicion that she was being watched. When the anxiety of the blood and massacre passed she glanced up, pausing in mid-scrub so that her bright green eyes met with those of E'uinn only to widen and then shift downward back to her hands which she could now see were plainly clean. Squeezing her fingers closed she placed the brush back into her pack and lifted the bowl of Mou rice, though her fingers greedily picked at the berries first, for she liked them best. She savored their sweetness as E'uinn offered they visit for dinner.

Eagerly, she answered for her parents. "Thank you," she began. "We would be most honored to accept your invitation, Achlaroilu," she said with a bright smile while stepping forward into their little trio. Under different circumstances she might've said those thanks weren't necessary. In fact, she knew that her father and mother would feel that way and would delicately decline the offered hospitality. Caoimhe, though, wouldn't pass up the opportunity to mingle with Elevie and E'uinn. She dared a quick glance to Aoife, one that said very much in the span of a flicker. Please, please - please! Mother, please. Please! And then she shifted her attention and smile to E'uinn again, as if the momentary focus hadn't been on her mother at all.

"When should we arrive?" She asked.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

A glance between Aoife, Qurraine and E'uinn spoke volumes about their understanding of Caoimhe's enthusiastic acceptance of the Achlaroilu's offer.

Qurraine was the first to respond and he did so with an expression of barely contained mirth, knowing far too well that it would brook a hell of a fight if he said anything to the contrary. A warrior always knew when a battle was worth engaging, and when it was best to cut and run.

"It seems we have accepted. Thank you for your offer sir."

Caoimhe's mother was a little more hesitant.

"I'd like to watch Kormus for a while and sit with him. The next few marks are critical for his survival. If I'm comfortable with his progress, I will comply with your wishes. But I reserve the right to leave at any moment, with little warning if Kormus takes a turn towards the worse."

She waggled her finger at her daughter scoldingly.

E'uinn nodded and chuckled softly.

"Excellent. It is settled then. Tonight, at sundown."

Aoife gave the Achlaroilu a stern look.

"If Kormus is making good progress." He amended with a smile.

As E'uinn walked away to speak with others, Caoimhe's mother turned to her with that same stern look.

"Were that anyone else, I would have turned you over my knee and gave you something less pleasant to plead for."

"It's fine. You should take him less seriously my love. He's just like everyone else and needs to relax as much as any of us. Likely more given the burdens he bears." Qurraine interjected.

Aoife's serious look softened at her incorrigible daughter.

"Just wear your good dress and don't make fools of us all." She surrendered.
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

To say that the young woman was surprised at the tone that her mother took with E'uinn would be an understatement. Though she'd spoken to him before, and in a personal manner when assisting in working on his wounds, she'd always been sure to maintain a professional (distant) and respectful tone and manner of speaking when addressing him.

The elfess took in a breath to thank both of her parents for their understanding and agreement to the dinner, but her mother all but destroyed the thankfulness. When the stern look was turned on her Caoimhe offered her mother a flippant smile and responded shortly to her promise of a swift turn of her hand. "I would like to see you try that," she said with adolescent daring. Though she'd kept a level head and mild mannered tone while around their leader she wasn't able to hold up the fascade when faced with her mother's intolerable matriarchal totalitarianism. "Perhaps you'd be better off with Kormus this evening - if it's what you'd prefer," she continued, her tone both teasing and biting.

"I'm sure I can find something in my trunk that will please our Achlaroilu," she said, already planning her evening wear within the construct of her fantasies - this also included E'uinn's appreciation of said evening wear, and his adoration of her in general. She found herself rather lost to this daydream for a few flickers, and by the time she withdrew from it she did so with her smile firmly in place. Quite sure that her mother would've started in about one thing or another she preemptively offered a reply. "Shh, now.. no need for us to argue about it. What's done is done. I'm going to go check on the other injured men," she said and her green eyes drifted from her parents to the settlement itself. Her feet carried her away from them, with or without their approval in search of something else to keep her busy, though her mind continued to wander toward the evening to come.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Were it not for the presence of nearby E'uinn, it would be easy to see by the look on her mother's face that there would have been a very loud argument and an even more stern lecture. Yet, as it was, Aoife let the go for the sake of keeping the peace around the wounded men, as well as the Achlaroilu.

E'uinn had brought many wounded Warders home with him. By the looks of things, there had been a great battle. The number of Warders that had left the Sacred Heart were far greater by half than those that sat or lay here now. Many had awful, horrifying battle wounds. Gaping cuts, stab wounds and broken bones from crushing weapons. Even more had lighter cuts and scrapes that needed attention, if not outright care. The wounds were as varied as the brave Adhiel that bore them. Men and women, dark and light haired, young and old alike, all sought the attention of the corps of healers that Caoimhe's mother governed. Kormus had been the worst off, and in the most grave condition, but with a casual scan of the trees and the wounded Adhiel, it would be easy to see that many more would need treatment if they were going to live through the night as well.

Cries for healers came from every direction. All Caoimhe had to do was choose.
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

The young elfess, knowing her abilities, sought out those who she'd be most apt at fixing. Sewing wounds was what she was most competent at. Listening to the yells of the injured she moved through the scattered people looking for the most severe of cuts to attend to first.

"Stiches? Who needs stitching?" She asked as she moved, checking out the wounds and seeing many of them to be blunt crushing wounds. Her eyes watered. They were horrible injuries. Many of these men and women would never fight again, and most wouldn't be able to defend any time soon. It put the camp at a great disadvantage. Dearest Atara Arda, she prayed inside her mind as she moved barefoot along the packed ground of the settlement. Thank you for bringing back these brave warriors. You honor us by not bringing them back into the cycle. We need them, Mother. We need them to protect us in these dark days. Though she was quite sure that the goddess understood that quite well it could never hurt to send out a little reminder to their heavenly leader who'd been far too scarce of late.

Once she'd found someone to work on she sat down next to them. "Hello, cousin. How are you feeling?" She asked, and then withdrew her needle and thread to prepare to sew up the wound presented.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

A young warder held up his hand, a strangely silent and calm gesture amidst the din and chaotic atmosphere.

His leg wound was life threatening not in the sense of its location, but the wound itself was bleeding horribly and if left untreated, he would likely fall to blood loss. The wound was a long gash, deepest about mid way up his thigh, and ran down the length of his leg, nearly to his ankle in a long red runnel. A pool of his lifeblood surrounded him where he sat, and he had a smear of blood across his forehead from where he had wiped away sweat from his brow.

He smiled bravely as she Caoimhe sat down.

"Hello cousin." He said thickly and tightly, fighting against the pain. His body shook with the effort.

"Ca...Can you help?"
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

Caoimhe examined the wound with a brief pass of her eyes. His question was met with a smart nod and a calm smile. "Of course I can help you," she said serenely. It wasn't a simple task to be at ease in such a situation, but it was assisted by this young adhiel's resolve and ability to maintain his own state of mind. One could say it was contagious, and she only hoped to learn how to spread the same to the more distraught patients she would likely come into contact over her yahren as a healer.

"Sit back." She assisted him in finding something to lean against (either because of it's proximity to his body or because of dragging something over to act as a straight back board) so he could relax. From there she used a cloth and cool clean water to wash the starting point of his wound. "You are a brave soul. What is your name, cousin?" she said to him with an inviting tone to see if it would suit him to speak or if he rather remain silent and stoic through the ordeal of the sewing.

Once the initial washing took place and she was more able to see the devastation of his wound she set to work of stitching the deepest part of the wound so as to staunch the most bleeding. From there she'd work her way outwards to the surface wound. "May I ask what happened to you out there?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Cavan." He replied curtly, struggling.

She helped him get more comfortable, which was a difficult thing in and of itself. As he winced and gritted his teeth, his tendency was to scrunch up his body to ward off the hurt. Getting him where he would lay there without pulling in was a fight all by itself.

As he calmed, she could get better access to his wound, and having something to talk to about seemed to ease his mind as he could focus on something else.

"We were patrolling the south, ranging... ahhh... ranging the territory around Gramhael Eort*. There had been humans spotted by the Thorns, so we went to intercept them. We...ow... ran into a force of Orcs. Fists of Garshnak by the look of them. The Achlaroiliu wanted to skirt them, just follow and watch to gauge their strength and purpose. Yet, as we did so, something spooked them and they attacked."

He hissed in pain, but actually smiled afterwards.

"We set upon them with the true force of the Raidhiel, withering their ranks with arrows and spears. But their leaders, two massive Orcs were cunning. They charged into us and forced us into fighting hand to hand. Many were lost, but we drove them back into retreat. Several of my squad went off in pursuit. Ahh.... But they were routed and nearly destroyed when were ordered back here."

By the time he had finished his tale, Caoimhe had stitched him from his thigh down past his knee. It bled between the stitches a little, but it was clear that it was greatly slowing thanks to her ministrations. A quick check of his vital signs showed he was pale and weak looking from blood loss, and it was likely that he would soon pass out.

* Fortress under construction in the Southern Weald.
Caoimhe
Civus

Post by Caoimhe »

"Cavan, I am Caoimhe," she said and went about her work. "Pleasure to meet you properly, though next time I insist you don't bleed all over me - it would be a courtesy," the girl smiled.

"Orcs.. nasty beasts, or so I have heard." The girl spoke simple sentences as she worked as most of her focus was on the sewing itself. Once she'd gotten him to name off the most lengthy and descriptive part of his predicament (which also made her more aware of the rest of the wounds she would see) a surprising realization hit her. She'd never known the orcs to use such proficient blades as to do the smooth damage that was done to this young adhiel's leg.

The next questions she asked were paced slowly enough for him to answer, but also to ensure that he stayed awake as she tenderly sewed up his wound. "How many orcs were there?" - "Do you have a life partner here that I could summon for you?" and then any number of more mundane questions about where he lived, about his family and what sorts of foods he liked. Once done, she pasted a cloth over the stitching and placed her cleaned hands on either side of his face. "You will be well, Cavan. I will pray for you this eve," she gave him a soft kiss on the forehead. "Now, sleep," she withdrew her lips and tasted his sweat. It wasn't an easy business being sewed, but from this moment on she felt a bond for this fighter much as her mother did for all those she healed.

Return to “T'aquar Archive”