Samheen 6, Out of one darkness… and into another...

Moderator: Mods

Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara gaped at the human and slowly backed away, looking at her friends in alarm. She had thought she was ahead of them. How had they all gotten here without each other knowing? The high elf's eyes widened in alarm and a lump formed in her throat.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Sarendara wondered if the man knew their fine language. He seemed powerful enough to understand anything.

"Where did the... dragon go?" Sarendara looked up into the sky and then back at the human. Why did we not see him before? Was he the man in the tent? If so.... he is powerful. VERY powerful. Sarendara cast a glance around, trying to find out where she was and how she had gotten there. Well... at least she had clothes on.
Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

"What the?" Windrunner asked, noticing her, Raevyn, and Sarendara together(Hadn't they run in different directions? She couldn't tell, the fog made it hard), along with this human. Had she been hallucinating when she heard that voice, the voice of the one who's death started her on this journey in the first place? And who is that human, and judging by how important he looked, what is he doing alone in such a reclusive place? So many questions flew through her mind, and no answers were clear to any of them.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

By now Raevyn didn't know if she could trust her own eyesight or not. Was this man just more magic? Is it really that big red thing that made the air foggy? Or was it just some man that just happened to be standing there while they had just managed to run to the exact same spot?

Then add to the fact that by now, she is getting highly agitated with recent events. Her eyes went back and forth between the three that stood there. From Sare, to Windy, then back at the man. By now Raevyn was almost willing to buy her way out of this situation. She had a few circlets on her, and she was still looking for a way to rid herself of Windrunner.

The dark elf however remained on guard, her already tight grip on both of her daggers grew tighter. She had switched weapons and now wished she had kept her crossbow in hand. It was already loaded and she probably could've got a shot off first and asked any questions, if any, later.

"Prepare yourselves," Raevyn said in elven to her fellow elves, not sure of what was going to happen next.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara, agreeing with Raevyn's actions, slowly placed her hand near her sword. Yet, she doubted that a sword would work against this person. Yet seemed funny and unreal. What had happened to that dragon? Where had he come from?

Come to think of it, there was one of him and three of them. What stopped them from getting some answers? Sarendara blinked and frowned. She looked over at Raevyn and Windrunner, wondering what they were thinking. Were they both confused?

The need for answers was still bothering Sarendara. She never figured out about that human, and here was this other man to muddle everything up even more. Sarendara turned to the human and waited.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Human dressed in red silk looked at Raevyn and spoke in fluent Elvish: "Yes, my friends, prepare yourselves."

<i>"KELRICK!!!"</i> the voice of the Human thundered through their heads, <i>"I WANT TO TALK TO YOU. <b>NOW!!!!"</b></i>

A few moments later the Human dressed in black entered the small clearing, fell down on his knees and touched the ground with his forehead reciting: "Out of fire born, hearts tremble, enemies fade before your might. My oath and allegiance to you, my master."

"Rise, Kelrick, we don't have time for this," the regal Human said annoyed, "Would you mind explaining what these three do here?"
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara had the sudden urge to sit down and wait. Her life seemed to be dictated by everyone else around and there was nothing she could do about it.

Kelrick's reappearance and his attitude toward the man in front of her confirmed Sarendara's suspicions. This man was the one all the orcs were afraid of. This prospect did nothing to lighted up Sarendara's mood.

Kelrick was powerful... very powerful. What was it about this person in front of her that made others tremble? Sarendara looked at him quietly and then looked at her other companions.

Runnning or running from him or running him through no longer seemed like an option. If Kelrick had come this quickly then orcs could come just as quickly. Sarendara reached for her staff and sword, wondering which one would be more appropriate. The man had said to be ready, whatever that meant. Sarendara turned to Kelrick and glared at him. "What are WE doing here?"

Sarendara turned to her friends and, not realizing that the human in front of her could speak in Elvish, spoke in her native tongue, "What do you want to do?"
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

The grip on her daggers had released slightly at this new predicament. That did not mean that the dark elf was letting down her guard. She heard Sarendara's question, but there was not going to be an answer. The dark elf had reached her limit, and she would rather die than run any longer.

"I do not know who you are," Raevyn said in one breath. "I do not care who you are," she sneered through yet another. "But if it takes my very last breath," she paused, her eyes locked on to the man as if she was staring right through him. "By the gods, I WILL kill you."

Raevyn stood still and took a deep breath. Mother... protect me... Then she ran as hard as she could, with both daggers drawn directly towards the man. In that blink of an eye, she was consumed. Consumed by all the rage, all the pain, all the hate she had ever knew. "Morgana!!!," she cried out.
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The Human calmly watched Raevyn charging towards him and when she was only a few inches he moved impossibly fast, his hand a blur hitting the Dark Elf square on the chest. The blow powered by inhuman strength send Raevyn hurling backwards, landing her a feet from the strange Human, his hand still stretched out. Placing his hand on the hilt on the pommel of a rapier that he wore on his left side he turned to Kelrick, showing no sign of pain that a normal Human would have had from hitting someone in an armour so hard, if a normal Human <i>could</i> hit that hard.

"The traitors captured them, my master, and I thought," the black-clad mage began when he was interrupted by his master whose voice was silent and calm, carrying an imminent tone: "You are getting soft, Kelrick. Where is the time you killed without hesitation? The time you bathed in the blood of children to prove your loyalty? Perhaps I must kill you, hmmm?"

"NO!" their saviour shouted, still kneeled down, "master... Let me prove myself! Let me sacrifice them in the ritual. Please, haven't I served you well with gathering these stupid Orcs and leading them to war and..."

"Silence," the other hissed, "this is not for them to know, fool!" Considering Kelrick's words the alien Human looked up at the sky and nodded: "Very well, one last chance. You will sacrifice them when the moon will darken. Do not fail me, Kelrick, you know the price of failure," the man said before disappearing in the forest, the hazy mist setting in once again and when it cleared to saw something red flying east...

Kelrick got up and looked at the trio, his demeanor changed: "So my plan has been thwarted. Too bad, after all the trouble I did to make you believe the stories I told you."
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

The emotion of rage is not something Windrunner feels often, and one could draw the conclusion that she was incapable of it after observing her enough. However, Windrunner can get angry at times, and this was one of those times. "Kelrick, the others were not decieved by your lies, and though you may have been incredibly lucky to have the one elf on the continent who would believe you as one of the three captives, it was more an accident of fate then anything. Your master was correct to call you a fool, if you believe this war, any war for that matter, was worth the incredible cost of lives for what minimal gain you may recieve. You will most likely be one of those casualties as well, if not by the hand of the elves then by the hand of your master. Do you really believe he will not sacrifice you in the same way you sacrifice so many orcs in your service?" she said angrily, knowing that she had no chance of winning in a battle. "I can assure you that I won't be sacrificed like you desire, and I would be surprised if you even lived to the time you were meant to sacrifice me." The wood elf added ominously, hoping that at least Kelrick could be confused enough to at least give him some emotional damage, since no physical attack would work(And she wasn't yet desperate enough to ensure she wouldn't be sacrificed by getting herself killed in a foolish attack), and though she attempted to say what she did with a great deal of conviction, Windrunner still wasn't sure if she could tell a lie that convinced anyone, even if it were a plausable falsehood and not something that only a fool would fall for.(Then again, Kelrick did seem like a fool.)
Last edited by Windrunner on Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara watched to two, wondering if everything was real. It seemed odd that Kelrick would lie to them, make them like orcs if he did not. Yet, Sarendara could see that there was truth in the statement. These people were gathering orcs together, and Kelrick was one of the most responsible for it.

The idea seemed odd, but became less and less distanced as Kelrick promised to sacrifice them. Sarendara wondered if either turning into a slave of the orcs or dying were worse. Sighing, she looked over at the previously groveling Kelrick and sighed.

The man had turned into a dragon... was he a dragon? Sarendara glanced up at the sky and shivered. Dragons. They were creatures out of nightmares and stories. What would a dragon want to do here?

Sarendara turned back to Kelrick and frowned even more. She needed to gain more time. Staying away 'till the nighttime would not be enough. Sarendara doubted that the Emerald Guard would leave its trainees out to fend for themselves. Surly they would send reinforcements? But did anyone know where they were or if they were alive?

Sarendara shivered and looked at the ground. She had lost all power of her situation, if she had ever had any. Why had Raevyn been so foolish? Who had they run? "What good will it do to kill us? Are you that foolish? We might have information or something better. Besides, why are you listening to him? These orcs could be yours to rule.”

Sarendara watched the man, doubting that he would care. Apparently, his master could do much more then she knew. Much, much more. “I admit, letting us go would be foolish. But perhaps we could be of more service if we were alive. This wood elf has information that even I can not guess.” Sarendara pointed to Windrunner and shrugged, looking around innocently. She tried to make her voice smooth and almost suppliant but quickly realized that it was not that easy.

“The dark elf, she knows much about her kind. Everything she knows and more, you could find out. We are here to help you. You know nothing about us… does it matter? You can find out much more then you ever imagined. The wood elf has been with the guard for some time. That is why she is so quiet. I have just joined. Please, I never meant to wander into your camp nor harm your guards. Let us help you.” Sarendara blushed and looked back at the ground. She wondered how Raevyn would react but could do nothing else but wait.

She would do anything to gain time, anything to get away. The Emerald Guard needed her to return, they needed the information that they had gained.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn laid there for a few moments sucking wind, pain exploding against her chest where she had just been hit. She got up slowly and looked around only to see that her target was now walking away quite nonchalantly. This infuriated her more, no one just walked away from her. What's worse there wasn't anything that she could do about it.

As the dark elf regained her composure she heard what Sarendara was talking. Raevyn couldn't believe her ears. Had Sare gone crazy? What was she trying to do? "Are you crazy??" She was positively fuming. "You can just give your life away if you wish, but I will NOT!"

The dark elf's glare then turned towards Kelrick. The same intent that she had for the other guy was now directed at him. "The same goes for you, this will be where YOUR life ends." Raevyn didn't know if the others would help, maybe they were scared. With her daggers drawn she started towards the mage dressed in black.

Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara watched Raevyn and bit her lip. So far, violence had done nothing. Magic had stopped their every step. This mage was far more powerful then they were. Sarendara had no doubt that he could stop Raevyn's attack as he had proven before. She figured that he could stop all of their attacks. Yet Sarendara would never know unless someone else tried. She gave Windrunner a meaningful glance, trying to urge the wood elf to join in and attack.

An idea had blossomed in the high elf's mind. Violence will not work, there is no use trying. What if I try to save myself and then help them? If I do not attack, it will show some good will on my part. Then, perhaps he will be more inclined to listen to me. The question is... will Raevyn hate me?

Sarendara shivered and she looked at the dark elf. Gulping, she tried to make it look like she was trying to stop Raevyn, but actually took a step backwards. Trying to sound angry, Sarendara called out, "Stop that right now! I knew you were a traitor from the moment I set eyes on you. You are in it for personal gain."

Sarendara turned and looked at Kelrick pleadingly, "I am sorry.... so sorry. We.... I want to help you. That is why we separated from out companions. It looks like some of us have different ideas. We ran out of the tent because we thought it was going to catch on fire. I want to help. I hate the elves. They are backstabbers, fibbers and liars." She looked at him, trying to hold a face of disgust and worry.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Sarendara's outburst did more than just stop the dark elf in her tracks, it floored her. All she could do at the words was just stare, open jawed and amazed by what Sarendara had just said. All the words and all the comebacks flooded into her head faster than her mouth could ever dream of spewing them back out. Raevyn was dumbfounded.

Once again the young dark elf found herself betrayed while trying to help others. This time her motives weren't exactly for personal gain. This time she had a cause, or so she believed, or at least thought. Raevyn's only true motivation was revenge. Revenge on those who had took perrhaps the only thing she ever loved save for her parents.

Yet still she stood there frozen by the high elf's words. A twist that not even the dark elf herself could have thought possible. Nothing, just an awkward silence. And she festered, she seethed. Yet she was crippled by her inability to act on impulse as she always did.

The influx of emotion and thought continued its maddening assault on her fragile rationale. Her body started to tremble and she was about to lose control.

Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara watched Raevyn stop and nearly hit herself. Why did plans never work when you always expected them to? Still she could not just stop what she had wanted to do, it had to continue. If she stopped, Sarendara had no doubt that getting out of the sacrifice would be much more difficult. She tried to look at Raevyn coldly, but Sarendara's heart longed to reach out to the dark elf.

Sarendara had not realized how much anyone would actually believe her. Yet, here was Raevyn clearly hurt. Perhaps Raevyn was acting as well? Sarendara seriously doubted it. The dark elf was much more inclined to action then faking. Biting her lip, Sarendara turned back to Kelrick and waited.

Trying to cover the aweful silence, she added, "I suppose she got some sense back into her. We are VERY sorry." Blushing profusely, Sarendara ducked her head and looked at the ground.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Never had Raevyn be so completely defenseless. Sarendara had caught her offguard, which was a shock to the usually focused dark elf. To make matters worse, Windrunner so far has been as helpful as moss growing on the side of a tree. Her knuckle whitening grip on her daggers began to ache.

Then a brief moment of clarity entered the dark elf's mind as she stood and looked back and forth between Kelrick and the now treacherous Sarendara. It was a feeling that had driven her in the past, and was apparent to her now. She was not afraid any longer.

"Very well then Kelrick, it seems you have a new ally for now in Sarendara. As for me, I would rather die in combat... with my honor intact. Than die a coward to be sacrificed." With her daggers in hand she motioned them both towards her.

Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Kerlick looked at Sarendara in amazement for a moment and smiled sadly: "It is a noble thing you have done. Once when I'ld have done the same. But now not anymore. For this I shall make your death come quickly and without pain. As for you, Dark one," gone was the glimpse of humanity that had flickered in his eyes when he talked to Sarendara as he turned to Raevyn, "your death will be as slow and painful as possibly. I assure you that you've never known the agonizing pain of magic flaying every inch of you."

Lastly he turned to Windrunner: "My rewards for succeeding are far greater then the risk of failure. Immortal life shall be mine!" Green gasses rose up from the ground with a wave of his hand and surrounded them. The insubstantial whirled around the three and when the inhaled it numbness began to spread through their bodies. From afar they heard the voice of the wicked mage: "Two nights from now when the moon darkens you will be sacrificed. The master shall be pleased."
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Again the dark elf was stripped of her chance to fight someone, or something rather. She was so frustrated she could scream. Without magic, she knew that these two men would probably be dead by now. They weren't fighting fair, at least she didn't think so.

As she breathed in she could feel her body going numb. It was an odd sensation, one she felt only once before. When she was terribly drunk. It was different however and it was consuming her with each breath she took. My what pretty colors, thought the dark elf as she became increasingly numb.

Sarendara

Post by Sarendara »

Sarendara gasped as her body started to go numb and tried to cover her mouth. Now, not only had her plan not worked, but Raevyn was bound to be furious. She was surprised at how affective her acting had been, and slightly worried by the results. Did the dark elf trust her so little? Did Kelrick trust her so much? Sarendara found it hard to believe.

Getting number, Sarendara placed her exhausted body on the ground. Kelrick had to wait for two days or else his master would not be pleased. That would give them plenty of time, Sarendara hoped.

She inched closed to Raevyn and wondered if the fumes would subside. Perhaps they would continue until much later? Sarendara did not want to think about it. She was busy trying to keep them away from her nose and mouth.
Windrunner

Post by Windrunner »

Windrunner saw the gas around her, and not knowing better then to inhale, did not try to escape the gas while her body went numb. Though she was terrified for her life, and wondering if this was how they would get this group to be sacrificed without having to kill them first. Sad as she was she had no chance to stop them, and that she had not even been useful in any plans of escape, and sad as she was that they would all die this way, the wood elf could not allow Kelrick to see that. "Fool." Windrunner said, her gaze aimed in the direction of the mage, but before anything more could be said, her mouth went numb from the gas.
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

The voice of the mage came from somewhere in front of them: "You'll remain conscious for the remainder of these two days while I prepare for your ritual yet you can not move. Isn't magic a nice thing?"

There was a sense of motion although the trio could not tell what cause it as they could not feel their bodies althugh they were very aware of what was happening around them. They saw how the trees began to move... no they were moving by some unseens force.

Back in the camp they were laid down in a large tent in which five stone sacrificial altars stood in a circle. They were all bound to one of them and onl two remained. The dark mage began a chant in a language that lay almost beyond his semantics as he spewed terrible sounds in a language so malignant that the air itself darkened around them.

<i>Time passed...</i>
They had no idea how long that Kelrick had chanted nor for how long they had lay prone on the altars when suddenly two Orcs stepped inside, carryin a young Elven girl and placing her on the altar next to Saren, the torn and tattered clothing and the state of the girl's body left no doubt about what the Orcs had done to this girl... The Orcs left and came back with a female Human a few moments later. This one was also raped and remained just as silent as the Elven child, both seen so many horrors that they had gone into shock.

Suddenly the trio could see the sky above them as the fabric of the tent disintegrated. A howl rose from the mage's mouth and soon the moon began to darken. Slowly, they regained control over their body again and strangely they felt no pain from laying prone for so long. They could now see the narrow slots that ran over the altars next to them, al stained by dark blood, the slots ranning down to the centre of the stone circle where Kelrick stood...

OOC: You can join the thread of your fellows now :). Sorry to keep you waiting for so long. Getting you guys together proved a little bit difficult.

Return to “Le Bois Noire Archive”