Browsing the Isle: Aden

Moderator: Mods

Post by Guest »

Aden started at the sudden pressure on his arm- and at the voice that rang out with vague familiarity. Sorcha? Dorch? Those were words that he remembered from somewhere- if only he could place them properly. It was then that he remembered what had happened immediately after his ordeal with the orb- the path, and the fog, and the fairies. Things snapped into place, and he felt his heart speed its pace.

"Dorch? This is Dorch?" Aden whispered, holding the sword as steady as he could. "Why have I come here again? I just left this place- Kelsie told me I was on the path home. That was the arrangement." He felt something akin to anger rising inside of his mind, combatting with the fear and discomfort for emotional dominance. He tried to reason the situation out loud, uncertain why he was doing so- probably for the sake of the tiny creature who clutched at him. The words it spoke were familiar... and he thought he knew why.

"I'm here again, in this same place... and it frightens me just the same as it did last time. I could easily turn my horse and head back to Sorcha. I would be safe from whatever lurks here, and I would feel protected again." Aden nodded with every few words, pausing briefly between sentences. "But then, wouldn't I be back where I started? Would all this just happen again? I'm not going to walk the same path forever- just because of some childish notion of fear." He looked at the creature that was doubtless invisible in the obscuring mist. "Do you remember me? Have you seen me here before?"

He urged Buster to continue his plodding- although his hand shook upon the hilt of the blade, and he swallowed nervously.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the horse moved forward, Aden felt his garment pull tight against him, then with a snap it went loose again, returning to normal. Behind him, the tree groaned with the sudden movement of the limb springing back into place. Silent, the horse plodded slowly forward, breathing heavily and snorting occasionally. In the distance, the sound of the tiny voice kept pleading.

"No, no... this way! To Sorcha! Come! Follow sugan!"

Within moments another sound could be heard, that of a female.. crying. While the tiny faerie voice seemed to come from everywhere at once, the crying came from ahead and to the left, off the path that Buster had been following which curved off ever so slightly to the right. Without warning, the air was filled with a loud growling roar coming from ahead piercing the fog like a knife. The horse trembled under Aden and stopped dead in his tracks.

"Uadh-bheist" Buster whispered, ears and tail twitching nervously, eyes round and wide as they searched for danger.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sun May 16, 2004 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I cannot follow sugan again..." Aden whispered, well aware that the faerie could not hear him at this distance. "I have to move forward, else all this time has been a waste." His eyes were hard lines, but his lip trembled in what was perhaps the beginnings of real fear. The growling roar scared him- perhaps more than it scared the horse, and he nearly cried out. He shuddered, trying to keep his blade firmly in his grasp, petting Buster reassuringly on the neck.

He was immediately, however, concerned about the crying woman- and thought that it was possible that she was being attacked by the creature of the mist (whatever it truly was). He continued to stroke Buster's neck, at last attempting to dismount while making as little noise as possible. He wavered as he did so- his fear gripping him, motivated only by the knowledge that he could not allow the cycle to continue. "Stay here, Buster," he whispered once he had managed to dismount. "Come for me if you hear me call out... if you wish to- even if you don't, I must do whatever it is I must do." With a grim salute through the thick mist, he strode toward where the sound of the woman's weeping had come from, trying his best to keep his footing on the misty earth.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Looking about wildeyed, the horse shook his head. "Huh-uh. I don't think I want to be alone here," he whispered and began to follow Aden.

Around him, the fog grew thicker as he moved off the path towards the noises. Soon, it almost felt as if he moved through water rather than air, the fog pressing back against him, slowing and hindering his movements. Behind him, Buster snorted nervously, the soft clomp of his hoofs muffled in the thick fog. Another fierce growl, accompanied by a shrill shriek was followed by more wailing from the female, now closer.

As the farm lad turned bard pressed forwad he began to see something head... something dark and massive. The closer he got, the more massive it seemed. As wide and tall as his house back home, it seemed to move slowly, languidly stirring the fog with the slow sinuous movements in its upper reaches way above Aden's head.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden stopped and froze at the undulating and massive object. He was afraid to move any closer for fear that he awaken whatever it was- but he was still well aware that he couldn't go back... at least not all the way back to the faerie's home of Sorcha. But then, he wasn't sure at the same time... maybe he could just hide until this thing did something? He didn't consider that to be a particularly noble plan, but it was one that would involve staying alive.

With a soft sigh, Aden tried to encircle the creature, moving slowly with soft sidesteps around it- to get closer to wherever the crying woman was, if that was possible. The weapon the lad had received from the Lord Gelitan wavered slightly in his hand, and he tried to stabilize it by using both, thinking and praying nervosuly that he wouldn't have to raise the ire of whatever this thing was. The young man would delay striking it as long as possible- and who knew? Maybe all it would want would be for him to leave this place and never return.

Aden was perfectly fine with that.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As he moved around the massive dark figure, it's girth continued and it was as broad as it was wide. What's more, the crying seemed to come from within the mass, not from the other side of it. His movements brought the lad close enough to begin to see that it was actually a circle of trees, set very close together so not easily breeched, but certainly not a solid form. Bare willowy branches reached up into the thick fog, the tops swaying slowly as if stirred by a wind though the air was as still as death.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat May 29, 2004 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden peered curiously at the trees- he knew enough about them to remember that on the farm on Dort, the trees had stayed as far away from each other as reasonably possible- only by some external influence did they crowd together like this, and that made the farm lad a bit uneasy. "What could make these trees weave so tightly together, Buster?" He breathed, so soft that he wasn't sure that the words were audible at all- for it was a rhetorical question, and required no real answer.

He switched the sword to his off hand, and tried to see if he could peer through the openings, keeping his strong hand closer to the grove, in case he should need to grope for something. He wasn't sure what he could see within, but he put his eye as close as possible and hoped that the fog within would be somewhat lessened by the thrashing trees and the tightly knit walls of the grove. If he could not see anything within, he would try and look for an opening that he might be able to squeeze through in the thick wall- but waited to see if there was any danger before acting so rashly.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A soft snort was the only reply from the horse as it followed Aden around the grove of large trees. There were spaces between the trunks, large enough for his head to slip through, even some he might have been able to slip his shoulder's through, but none were wide enough and long enough to slip his whole body through easily.

Inside, the crying quieted, but still faint sobs reached his ears but the same thick fog filled the grove, making visibility poor. It seemed as if there might be a dark something in the center, but it was only the faintest of impressions that came and went.

Curiously, when he grew near enough to one of the trees that he might touch it, the blade began to vibrate and pulse in his hand, a low oddly pleasant sensation. Another oddity; some of the gaps between the trunks narrowed and dissappeared as he approached them and overhead, the massive branches of the trees moved as if blown by a strong wind.

Suddenly, something grabbed the back of Aden's shirt about the same time the horse snorted, "Look out!"
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat May 29, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

The vibrating of the sword was more than a bit surprising, and he felt himself being inexorably distracted by it. It was soothing, and calmed his nerves, as he continued to try and figure out what to do with the odd grove and its closing gaps. It was frustrating, but he knew there had to be someway to get within... but he didn't seem capable of finding it. Just as he was preparing to use the sword to try and hack his way in (as futile as he knew it would be) something grabbed him,

Aden felt his mind blank with terror, his limbs become rigid with fear. Buster's warning came too late, and he felt the thing (whatever it was) grab and pull him away from the grove. His hand still held the sword, but he knew that if he was shaken violently, it would drop from his sweaty grip. Nonetheless, he tried his best to hold onto the blade, and bring it about to confront his assailent, if he was given the oppurtunity.

For the moment, though- he was more focused on getting some idea of what was happening in the situation.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A creaking old sound accompanied the snatching of the young lad's clothing as he found himself dangling about half a body length off the ground. The hard boney fist that held him between the shoulder blades had come from above him, a gnarly distressed branch that was connected to one of the trees. Slowly, he was pulled towards the tree and a small dark ugly bird that sat in the branches. Slow deep groaning noised accompanied the movement and the bird turned it's attention to the young man, squawking riotously.

"The uadh-crogan wants to know what you are," Buster said softly below him, eyes widening as the ugly bird squawked loudly again.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden felt the fear slowly leave his body, although it continued to saturate his mind. His heart beat faster than he was sure it ever had before, at least in recent memory. It was so unsettling that he found himself unable to speak, even when Buster explained the situation a bit. It seemed that the horse knew more than he was letting on- if he had only thought to ask. Of course, 'Uadh-bheist' sounded like a sneeze to the farm lad, so it made sense that he had largely ignored the explanation.

Of course, if he would have calmed then- but the idea that he was hanging from a living tree, and that a enormous crow was speaking to him certainly eliminated that idea, so his mind continued to race. "What do you want f-f-from me?" He managed, the words stuttering only slightly- impressive, given the situation. "I just want to g-go back ho-home..."

"My name is Aden O'duran, and I don't belong in this place." The boy began, covering his face with his hands. "Why can't you just let me go home?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Hooooooommmmmmmmme," sounded a voice, full of creaks and groans and clearly a question. More squawks from the crow-like bird were followed by the translation by Buster.

"It wants to know... what is this home? There is... here and.... there is there. You came here but now... you wish to be there? It does not.... understand why you came here if you....... wished to be there," the horse ambled along slowly, awkwardly as the trees before the young man groaned lowly.

"Still it asks... what are you? You are not liagg.... you are not mairi. You are not uadh-crogan... you are not any of the uadh. You feel like sorcha," the horse finished as the groans around them stopped and an eerie silence filled the still air.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden sighed, his fear not having completely abated just yet. It's hard to become rational when you are suspended high above the ground and being lectured by a crow. He took deep breaths and mentally forced himself to answer the questions being presented, even if he himself did not understand them. He ran a hand through his dark black hair and let out a very slow exhalation.

"I am here because I was sent here, because the way to there lies through here, or so those over there would have me think. I don't know what sorcha is, but I am not sorcha." He assumed that sorcha was the place where he had met Kelsie- or was it Sugan? He couldn't remember the name precisely. "I am a human from Dort. Dortenese. Or maybe you can say that I'm from the Isle of Pan, it doesn't matter. Tazlure." He nodded firmly, throwing his balance off once more.

"This isn't Tazlure, and I do not belong here. I don't know how to get there, to my home, so I am stuck here. I don't understand your questions- nor do I know how to get away from this place. If you could point me in the correct direction, I could leave this place and never willingly return." The farm lad folded his arms across his chest, suddenly defiant despite his utter lack of control in the situation.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A single short lived groan from the tree was followed by the almost ear-splitting screech of the black raven-like bird as it spread wings and flew at Aden, landing on the arm of sorts that was holding the young man. Sitting above him, the actual size of the creature was more apparent. Huge for a bird, it was about half the size of the dark haired lad and it leaned forward, cocking one eye as if examining him. The sword still gripped tightly in his hand buzzed almost as if it had life within it.

Below him the horse snorted and shook his head, clearly nervous at this strange turn of events. Shortly more squawks followed with Buster translating.

"This is not..... the way..... to.... there but only..... here. No.... roads run to this.... place or away," the horse dronnned out and suddenly the young bard felt himself free from the restraining grip, falling.

"Gooooooooooooooo theeeeeeeeeeeeeen," the huge tree-like creature groaned as the dark bird flew back to where it had sat before. Inside the circle of trees, the sound of female crying reached his ears once again.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden sighed as the fear finally departed, smiling. "Well, it's good to know that they're feeding you well, at le-" Aden started, in jest, and then he fell sharply to the ground- and he was fortunate that there was no air in his lungs for him to yell with, and as soon as he had managed to fill them, the impact with the ground drove it out again. Laying on the ground, despite himself, he laughed.

It was a good sound, filling him with something like hearty cheer. The sheer ridiculousness of it all just made him suddenly bemused, and he dragged himself painfully to his feet and looked up at the giant bird.

"What's crying inside that circle there?" He paused for some laughter. "Perhaps a house guest of yo-... yo-... yours?" The farmer's mirth continued to pour forth in endless stream. "I'm sorry for my laugh-... laughter, but..." He paused again as another fit of joy caught him. "It's just that it's starting to click. I left my road, and... and... I found this place."

There are no roads leading here, to or away. Perfect sense. The man laughed again, as the thoughts flowed through his mind. He was still alone, nothing had changed, despite all his journeys. The street magician was still here, afraid and paranoid and distant- but something inside was changed, if only a little bit. Aden didn't know what, but something was different. Something small, maybe.

"Will you let me in, then? To see this weeping woman?" The laughter had mostly subsided, but a grin still perched upon his face, and his mind was suddenly lighter. He lifted his sword playfully, twisting it in his hands. "I'd be much obliged, of course, your highness."

The farm lad laughed a final time and bowed respectfully.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Snorting, Buster nudged him on the bottom as he bowed, nearly pushing him over as he whinnied.

"What are you doing?" the horse asked, his voice dropped to as much a whisper as a horse could manage.

Overhead the tree creaked and groaned as the trunk began to shift, producing a slender opening, just wide enough for the young farmer to slip through sideways though the bottom of the trunk and roots hadn't moved meaning he would have to raise his foot about knee high and over the bottom of the trunk to step inside the circle of trees.

"Have you gone insane? Did you fall on your head? You mean to go inside the uadh-crogan? Whyyyyyyyyy?" the last part came out like another whinney.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Oh, I fell on my head alright, Buster." Somehow, the thought didn't seem to bother him. "I don't quite know what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to matter to me much anymore. It all makes sense, but it doesn't. And it doesn't matter that it does, nor does it matter that it doesn't." He chuckled lightly, still holding his sword, pointing it menacingly toward the trees.

"Why not go inside?" He shrugged carelessly, although inside of his mind the beginnings of doubt. It didn't matter, the farm lad reminded himself carelessly- this was what had to be done. Everything thus far pointed him in the right direction with paths. The path from the docks to the secluded glade where he had been nearly robbed for overthinking. Then the path to the Temple, where he had been transported -somewhere- for thinking too much about an orb. Then, there had been the path through the mists- to Sorcha. The hallway was a path, leading to the chamber of doors. A path leading up the rolling hills to his childhood home (it couldn't be real... she was dead, wasn't she?). There was a path leading away from the smithy- a path leading to the estate of Gelitan. There was a path leading away from it. And now that there were no paths- only the sound of this woman crying- he intended to remain until he understood. He would be damned if he would ruin this task as well, by overthinking.

"It might be crazy, but it's better than walking through the mists again. It's better than going in a circle. There is a path- that is what Sugan (or was her name Kelsie, heavens know I don't remember) told me, that there was a way back." He laughed a bit more, his confidence gradually returning. "What reason have I to doubt any of what she said?"

He felt it was better to pretend that the answer was 'nothing'.

"Let me inside, uadh crogan. That is my request- my demand. Let me within, your lordship... oh grand bird. SEE THE BIRD OF ENORMOUS GIRTH, UPON HIS BACK, HE HOLDS ALL THE EARTH." The last was shouted, and he didn't know why- he remembered it as a rhyme from somewhere, but could not recall where. His sword lifted slightly.

"Oblige me."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

The slender opening between the trunks remained before him and though the wood creaked and groaned, the opening grew no larger. Wide enough for him to step through if he turned sideways, it would be an less than smooth entry stepping over the nearly knee high mass of inter-twined roots and trunk. Overhead, the bird squawked back loudly at Aden's outburst.

"He says it is open as far at it can be," Buster drolled out behind him. "Don't let go your sword Aden," the horse added softly, ending with a snort and whinney as he shook his head.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Aden frowned at the lack of effect, his lip curling in disappointment. Why did this whole 'destined to be' stuff only work against his favor, and never when it would be -remotely- useful? "Some bird he is," the young man muttered, "can't even open a damn tree..." the farm lad trailed off and gripped the blade of his sword more tightly.

Frustrating, that's what it was. Damnably frustrating.

The young man sighed, and looking at the opening closely, he wished he were just the tiniest bit more frail. Uncertain how to proceed, he forced his sword into the opening, his arm trying its best to force its way along. His leg and torso would come next, but that's where things got difficult. If anything within was... dangerous... he'd be in serious trouble.

Still, the young man had decided that all of this predestination and all these odd worlds and environments had to be drawing closer to SOMETHING, he just didn't quite know what they were. He'd just have to trust that nothing here would kill him until the right time (which was hopefully many years from now, in an opulent bed beside a fire in his very own manor).

The head would then follow, and he'd try to get a look around before pulling the rest of him through the narrow gap. Hopefully, he wouldn't be looking at fangs or claws or anything of that sort of nature. Then, considering how things had thus far proceeded, he supposed it was the only likely option.

Maybe whatever beast would try and eat him could be distracted with coin and card tricks, and a bit of acrobatics. After all, in a world where birds were gigantic and could talk (not to mention the horses), where trees could move, was it really so far-fetched to think that a monster might just be lonely and bored and looking for a little entertainment?

All thoughts aside, Aden pressed onward, drawing in air as his arm entered the entrance to the grove.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As the youth put his arm through the opening between the trees the vibration in the sword increased dramatically as did the low humming. Oddly comforting, small surges of power crept up Aden's forearm as he entered the otherwise placid grove of trees.

Within the bastion of living wood, the fog was curiously absent though above him, the sky was still a solid slate gray color. The trees inside the grove appeared much as they had from the outside with a thick carpet of lush green grass covering the ground. To his right, a young woman sat on the grass weeping, long brown hair falling around her face, spilling over the shoulders of the soft pink dress she wore, the skirt of which created a soft pink cloud about her on the ground. Face buried in her small pale hands, she was oblivious to the arrival of the young man.

Behind him, the narrow opening he had slipped through closed without so much as a creak to alert him to the movement. From the other side, the sound of Buster admonishing him to hang onto the sword was suddenly cut off and the only sound remaining was the soft crying sounds.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Beside the young woman stood a man, feet spread shoulder width apart, arms folded across his chest, eyes fixed on the newcomer. Blonde hair waved down to broad shoulders clad in the shimmery gray of woven metal, the plain leather belt slung low on his hips holding a large, long ornate sword. Thin lips spread into a cold slow smile that his icy blue eyes matched.

"Welcome," the deep sonorous voice boomed. "Would you wage war with me?" he challenged, eyes narrowing as he studied the movements of Aden.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

The young man started, his eyes widening at the sudden change of circumstances he was faced with. This guy looked truly formidable, while Aden was decidedly not. Nonetheless, he tightened his grip upon the sword and stared at the man, trying his best to suppress the obvious signs of terror upon his countenance.

"Why would I declare war on you?" Aden asked, imperiously cocky, though his voice likely wavered as he spoke. "I have better things to do with my time." The farm lad looked over at the girl, hoping that his voice would get her attention. Somehow, the young man felt empathy for this girl, and knew that he had to get her out- somehow, that had to be the purpose of all of this. Not to mention that this was all starting to make a tad more sense than it had before.

People with swords and weeping women were more logical than giant birds and talking horses. "Why don't you just let this lady go into my custody, and maybe you won't have to meet my blade." He smiled, cocking his head slightly to the side- even as fear tied knots inside his stomach.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Deep rolling laughter burst forth from the metal clad man as his arms unwound themselves and one hand moved to the hilt of his weapon.

"You've got roots, I'll grant that," he commented once the laughter slowed to a chuckle. "It is a rare few indeed who ever venture this far, fewer still who make it further. Which will you be boy?" the man grinned, cocking his head to one side.

"I dare say you'd not know which side of that thing to use," he taunted, chin jutting out towards Aden, clearly indicating the blade the young lad clasped tightly in his fist.

"The smart thing to do would be to lay that down and we could... talk," he offered, voice becoming smooth, like cold silk, as he continued on.

"No need for haste or wasteful actions. Simply lay it down there in front of you on the ground and we can reach an agreement," the deep voice urged imperatively.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

He'd be damned if he was going to put his sword down- not now, and certainly not in this place where everything he did for the sake of sense backfired. Instead, Aden laughed with forced haughter. "You know nothing of me, to be making such assumptions."

He drew the blade, playing with it idly, in a way that would hopefully suggest familiarity without being challenging enough to cause Aden to drop it. He was rather talented with his sleight of hand, so maybe it would be easy to move the sword in elegant patterns.

He embedded the sword into the soft earth, smiling confidently at the stranger, within easy reach. "If you're too scared to talk of me while I'm armed, then perhaps you're not worthy of talking to." The farmboy stared without blinking, feeling supernatural confidence flowing through his veins as adrenaline began to pump.

"I'll make it further than this, with or without your willingness. Now, shall we talk as men, without fear for one another's swords, or shall we be as women, needing assurance of safety before we will parley?" Cocky words, but somehow, Aden was unafraid of this stranger- even if he knew that should it come to blows, he would most assuredly lose.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Power flowed from the sword into Aden, a power he had felt previously, a power he now recognized as he jabbed the sword tip into the ground before him. The stranger merely smiled and offered arms out wide to his side as if to show himself harmless. Beside him, the woman sat with her head in her hands as if frozen.

"And what would you care to speak of bold small one?" the booming voice inquired even as Aden felt a shudder flow up the blade into his fingers. Around the tip of the sword, vines or roots or some plant material had sprouted up through the grass and began to slowly snake their way up in the blade, winding around it tightly.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Road Archive”