Where am I? (Raythe Silvus)

Moderator: Mods

Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

The young elf nodded, a bit reluctantly but sincerely, and smiled in a gesture of forgiveness. "I understand, perhaps I shouldn't have asked. I tend to speak my mind before I've had time to think about my comments properly, and-"
She stopped talking suddenly and looked at Perith as he began playing with an expression of surprise on her face. The melodic notes of the tune suddenly registered sharply in Raythe's brain as she recognized the ballad. When was there a time growing up when she hadn’t heard that melody at night, sitting around the fire in her home town? The music brought up a poignant wave of nostalgia, and the young girl turned away, biting her lip and trying to subtly wipe away the tears that had suddenly welled up in her eyes.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The music lasted forever, yet was over too soon. Perith ended the melody softly as if he regretted the story hidden in the music. A last thrill, hopeful and reaching for the skies, then all was silent.

Carefully the strange man placed the flute back in his sleeve. Somehow the party had come to a full stop. He looked at his companions and frowned. "Hm, my guess is this will be our camping place then. At ease, my friends."

His words cut through the enchantment his play had woven. People started moving again, though sluggishly as if waking up from a dream. Only the hooded figure made no attempt whatsoever to help set up camp. He or she kept it's distance from the others, hood faced outwards towards some unknown goal.

Perith gestured for Raythe to sit down, but not before he quickly put a leather cloth on the ground. "Would not want you to get cold and wet, would we?" He grinned mischievously. "Now, how about that flute of your's?"
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

Raythe stared for a long moment before shaking off the effects of the tune and sitting down on the cloth. She shifted uncomfortably and adjusted her tunic, rubbing her eyes briefly with the back of her arm.
As she reached into her backpack, feeling around for her simply crafted wooden flute, her eyes never left Perith. The young girl studied him curiously, still surprised that he had played such a beautiful tune, when her hand brushed against the cold, smooth wood of her instrument, and she extracted it with a flick of the wrist.
She smiled slightly, shaking her head. "After what you've just played, my clumsy tunes will sound even worse in comparison..." and raised the flute to nearly touch her lips, playing a simple 4-note melody and gradually shifting the range to higher notes before dropping off suddenly and sighing.
"I haven't played it for a while," Raythe admitted, blushing. "I know, it's not exactly a masterpiece, is it?"
Last edited by Raythe Silvus on Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Perith listened attentively. Had the situation been different, this might have been a lovely picnic in the parc. As it was the rope was a rude reminder, yet it did not hinder Raythe in her play.

The melody sounded simple and clear as a bird in the trees. Her captor smiled. "That was very nice. Maybe not a masterpiece, but honest and pitched perfectly. Tell me, is it the composing or the playing that you still want to learn?"

Around them the strange group was preparing for the night. A fire was lit, although kept small. Some small parcels were taken out of the bags and contained several edible bits. A few were warmed up over the fire and before long Raythe got a bowl with a few pieces of lukewarm meat. The bread with it was a bit stale but all in all it was warm and filling.
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

Raythe blushed slightly and tore off a small piece of the meat. Chewing on it thoughtfully, she kept her eyes locked on Perith. She swallowed and frowned slightly. "I really don't think it was good, but you'd know better than I would. I suppose...the playing, really, what's the use of composing if you can't play first?" She shrugged and looked down at her flute idly. "But, I don't know...I'm so inexperienced at this, it's really somewhat pathetic, isn't it?"
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Perith's voice sounded sharper than before. "I already told you what I thought. You're asking the wrong person to sweettalk you. Now eat up. You need your rest."

He got up brisquely and walked over to the hooded person. Although Perith talked there was not even a movement of the other to indicate he -or she- heard any of it. Satisfied in some way the man returned and set up a schedule for the night. He was not going to let the makeshift camp unguarded at any moment. He ignored Raythe and her flute and went for a walk, leaving the girl with the unknown others of the group.

The cloaked figure had turned towards her. A soft gust of cold wind suddenly played up.
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

Raythe looked up at Perith, vaguely curious, and watched him stalk away with mild interest. "I meant pathetic with the whole 'talking to people' thing. Obviously I was right." Her eyes returned to her flute, and she idly rubbed off a small smudged mark on the dark wooden surface of the flute, before shivering and wrapping her arms around her chest against the cold wind. Looking at the cloaked figure idly, the young elf felt a twinge of anxiety and averted her gaze for a moment before staring up at the shadowy being apathetically, casually remarking, "Well, are you going to get all moody on me as well and stalk off? Or are mysteriously cloaked figures not big on the 'showing emotion' thing?" She tried to supress a pushing sense of panic. "Who...what...are you, anyway?"
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Silence greeted Raythe as the breeze made the black robes take on a life of their own. The air grew noticeably colder, yet the black figure never moved. Around her the twins were talking to eachother, but somehow the sound got lost.
Branches moved as the wind grew stronger. The flames of the campfire fought for their existance. Sand blew up and hit Raythe's face.

"Stop."

The sudden voice broke the spell and immediately the wind died. Mardo and Melas were still talking as if nothing had ever changed, only now she could hear their voices again.

Perith had returned and the robed one turned away from the group once more.

No explanation followed. Perith simply threw her a blanket. "Go to sleep. You'll need your rest."
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

'What is that thing, and what does it want with me?' The same relentless thought ran through the young elf's head over and over, as she slipped her flute back into her pack. Raythe looked around at the camp, holding the blanket loosely, and relaxed, leaning back on one elbow and spreading the blanket over herself. She started to push the pack away, but stopped and instead pulled it in close to her body. Raythe pulled the worn leather backpack upwards and slipped her head under it to turn it into a makeshift pillow; then, pulling the covers in even more tightly, the young girl tried to ignore the cold wind and the harsh voices that kept her from sleep. One of Raythe's arms sleepily reached up and clutched a bit of the leather pack-turned-pillow in the same way a child might hold a doll. Completely forgetting the wool blanket she had in the pack, Raythe closed her eyes, trying to erase the haunting image of the cloaked figure. Her last words before drifting off to an anxious, troubled sleep were a desperate, whispered prayer to Pan. "Keep my dreams and sorrows light..."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Softly sliding into a sound sleep things start to change subtly. The wind still plays around her, but instead of howling, it sings. The ground becomes harder until the blanket is no longer enough to be able to stay on the ground. A bit of water seeps into Raythe's clothes. It smells salty.

Slowly the darkness changes into another kind as the air makes place for rocks, growing out of nowhere. The ground should be rumbling to make this happen, but besides the wind there are no sounds. When the stone walls that now surround Raythe touch eachother, a cavern is formed with a ceiling as high as three persons standing on eachother's shoulders.

A star lights up for only a flicker. A star on the ceiling in the middle of a painted rainbow. A reassuring light that vanishes with the sudden sound of footsteps.

Slowly other lights approach in a procession. Humans and Elves...maybe a few Half Elfs. The flames makes it hard to distinguish their features. The three torchbearers light the candles that have been spread out through the cave. The other five find a place under the strangely decorated ceiling and sit down. The soft rolling of the waves can be heard in the distance.

A sweet voice calls out, singing a song of desperation and hope. In the middle of the huge cavern is a lake. The water is salt, yet things are moving in the dark waters. Pale, green eyes look at Raythe and the strange face is decorated with seaweed hanging over it's head. This is where the voice originates, because when it speaks another song comes out. Songs of longing and home. The thin, green hand touches her arm.

It feels cold.
As cold as the sea.

It grabs her arm and won't let go, shaking her harshly!
Shaking

Shaking

Perith shook her awake, his hand cold from the night. The morning sun had just begun to warm the lands and slowly the last tendrils of mist were vanishing from sight. A sparrow found reason to sing and was joined by others, breaking the strange silence of the world.

"Breakfast." Her captor mentioned shortly and pointed her to the small fire that had survived the night.
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

Raythe's eyes were wide and hazy as she sat up, breathing heavily and trembling slightly. She stood, brushing some dust from her clothes; then snatched the blanket up and folded it neatly with a practiced twist. Grabbing her pack and casually slinging it over her shoulder, she moved closer to the fire and sat down, keeping a distance from the other people. Aside from the occasional glance she shot at Perith, she kept her eyes fixed on the morning horizon, watching the horizon to watch the wind move through the trees, making the forest seem like one sleepily swaying creature.
The memory of the dream stayed with the young girl, although the details melted together and faded like the last traces of gray from the bright morning sky, and the lingering morning cold blurred the line between her dream world and that of reality.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Breakfast was eaten in silence. the robed stranger still standing vigil. Swiftly the fire was extinguished and the camp broken up. The little company was on the move again.

They followed a trail that lead them through the forest. Tracks surrounded a small pool, a last brave deer quickly vanishing in the undergrowth.

Perith took the lead together with Raythe, still leading her on that leash. His walk was energetic, his face never betraying what had passed between them the night before. "Tell me, " he started up a conversation, "what do you think life still has in store for you?
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

Raythe smiled sadly, shooting a hurt look at Perith. "How would I know? Hah, obviously nothing good," she said with a bitter tone to her voice, pointing at the ropes with a flick of the wrist. "I don't even care anymore. Whatever happens, happens... and I'm sure I'll manage to ruin even the best situation that fate throws at me." The young elf looked away to try and hide the tears that were welling up...again...in her eyes.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Perith clucked his tongue. "Please, please, no tears!" He got a handkerchief from his pocket and presented it quite politely. "You never can tell where you end up. If you are pursuing music, there is always a good chance of you being able to do that..." His voice trailed off as a thoughtful look came over his face. "Yes...why wouldn't you...well, now." He suddenly sounded more cheerful as if he had made a grand discovery.

Coincidentily the chilly wind decided to rear it's head again right at that moment. Perith shivered and looked behind him where the robed figure was walking. "Patience." He mumbled to no one in particular, yet the strange wind died down again.

ooc
If you don't mind I'd like to fudge some of this trip. You can respond to this post the way you like and then please let me know if this is okay with you :)
By the way, you will get mailwarnings if you merely visited this forum under your characters name. You don't have to post empty notes :)
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

ooc
Sorry for the delay. :oops: With winter break and everything, I kinda forgot about posting. Sure, we can fudge some of the trip, I don't mind.

IC
Raythe accepted the handkerchief and wiped her tears away quickly, embarrassed to have cried in front of her captor. She glanced suspiciously back at the mysterious figure and then towards Perith again. "What are you rambling about now, and why has it made you so cheerful?" The young elf was completely puzzled, and once more turned her head slightly to look at the robed figure.
Raythe shivered, just glancing at this mysterious being gave her an unpleasant feeling. She quickly turned her back and continued walking alongside Perith. With a casual tone, far more casual then she felt, she said softly, "That person...or whatever it is...frightens me. How does it control the wind like that?"
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Not a problem :) Welcome back and a happy new year!

ic
"Keep the handkerchief." Perith said with a grand gesture. Even his pace had changed to something lighter after whatever it was he had just realized. The territory was becoming more rough when the trail vanished in the undergrowth. Branches snapped under their progress and Raythe's captor stretched out his hand to help her over the obstacles. Quickly he looked over his shoulder.

"Don't pay any attention to him. The more you do, the more power you give him." He answered softly when he was close enough to her ear. "Not all that lives on this earth actually deserves to walk it." There was distinct distaste in his voice. "And not everything needs a physical hand to move it."

All of a sudden Perith's hand was grabbed by a gloved claw. The robed figure had moved in without any sound at all and faced the man. No words were spoken but little drops of sweat started to appear on Perith's forehead. He shook his hand loose and looked furious. "You will wait until all has been settled!" He growled at the stranger. At this the hooded one turned to Raythe and stretched out the bony hand towards her.
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

Raythe's eyes widened involuntarily as she heard Perith's words, but before she had a chance to ponder what they meant, the robed thing was next to them. The elf drew back a bit when her captor growled at the being, nervous from the angered tone of the normally calm human. When the hooded being extended his hand to her, she moved almost instinctively to extend her hand as well, but stopped and let it drop to her side after a long hesitation. Raythe scrutinized the being for a long moment, trying to catch a glimpse of his face under the hood. Having no luck and seeing only shadow, she turned her head, looking past it towards the direction they traveled. The young elf was visibly shaken; but in the process of stepping over a large branch, she took the opportunity to step away from the robed being and towards Perith, casting a questioning glance at him.
Last edited by Raythe Silvus on Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The hand slowly closed as if Raythe's hand was in it already, making the tug she felt even stronger. It was not clear exactly what made it possible for her to resist the temptation, but stepping away from the apparition cleared her mind as if it had been muddled before. Now the face of Perith was more clearly visible, showing fear and hatred, stubborness and the will to fight. He was still looking at the dark figure as if fighting a silent battle.

The skeletal hand shot out of the robe again and made a swift movement towards the girl as if wanting to pull her in. Instead of the robed one it was Perith who grabbed her arm and pulled Raythe behind him. A hissing sound came from underneath the robe and instantly Perith began to choke. His hand went up to his throat, staring at the mage in unbelief as slowly his face turned red. Gurgling sounds came from his mouth. None of the others intervened, they just stood there, ignoring the whole spectacle as their leader went down on his knees, fighting for air.

This left Raythe in plain sight of the horrid creature and it turned to look at her. Without being able to see it's face, somehow it still seemed to grin as again she felt the pull that would bring her closer to it.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Boo!
I'll be posting irregularly due to reportcards coming up and kids parents making a pain of themselves.

Probably will lighten up in two weeks.
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

((ooc: ok, and i may take a while to respond to the thread due to the fact that i have ten billion projects and tests in the next few weeks.))

Raythe let out a rather undignified whimper as she was yanked forward against her will, being drawn to the mysterious creature. Her face was contorted with rage and helpless fury as she dug her heels in the ground to try and back away from it. The robed one's strange effects sent her mind into spirals of confusion and turmoil, shooting hot, sharp flashes of pain through her brain.
Raythe's head turned towards Perith, watching with growing concern as he struggled for air, and her momentary lapse in concentration ended the struggle as she was yanked forward. Losing her balance, the young elf stumbled and fell to the ground directly in front of the creature on her hands and knees. Her head snapped up to stare at the hooded being. "What do you want from me?" She forced herself to her feet unsteadily, knowing her will to fight was fading under the pain. The creature's pull finally won her over, and while her mind screamed in protest the young girl extended her hands slowly and placed them into the hooded being's skeletal claws.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Good luck!

ic
The closer Raythe came to the creature, the stronger the pull. In the background Perith was still gasping for air, but none of that mattered right now. What did matter was that for her too this was a loosing battle. Slowly but surely he drew her in and the moment she put her hands in his, she felt a shock throughout her whole body.

There was no chance to fall back because the cold hands kept her close and softly it began to whisper again. Soft words, but never meant to be soothing. The words wanted something from her, drew something from her. It started in her hands: a strange, tingling feeling as if warming up after a very cold day. It spread through her arms and shoulders, then rested at her chest where it began to grow stronger. Somehow it became hard to swallow and every exhalation seemed to take something from Raythe and sent it to the robed one.

Invisible to the eye, but to be felt in her heart something was being taken from her. Something that resided deep inside her, something that belonged to her and no one else. It was so seductive just to give in...give in...yet that spark of life that had kept her upright before might just be enough to withstand the call. The question was: did she want to give in?
Raythe Silvus

Post by Raythe Silvus »

((ooc: wow, again it completely slips my mind to post here. sorry. :oops: ))

Raythe felt the powerful, seductive temptation to give in and end her struggle with the robed creature. She began to let her defenses melt away. But as the creature's power continued to surround her, the young girl's mental barricades snapped back up as she felt... something... slipping away from her.
The young elf didn't know exactly what this foul robed being was taking from her, but she knew that it was a part of her, and she would NOT let it go without a fight. She used all of her fading willpower to try to yank her hands away from the creature's cold grasp before sagging to the ground, on her knees in pain.
Last edited by Raythe Silvus on Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Raythe made the decision. Whatever it was the creature tried to take from her, it was definitively without her consent and this sparked her strength. The girl withdrew her hands. Her skin burned and the last of her energy seeped away into the ground as she went down.

Things happened around her. More noise and shouts blurred together as something or someone leaped past her and toppled the dark mage over. A connection was severed, catapulting part of Raythe's lost strength straight back into her.

Someone touched her shoulder. It was a warm hand. "Raythe! Wake up!" A voice ordered her. "Get back here!"

Return to “On the Road Archive”