A Lonely Road

Moderator: Mods

Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"oh! But I do want you to sit, AND be seated with me. Any company in the dark of the woods is good company. Are you afraid of something? I'm very harmless. I think I started life as a poet, a profession not known for its physical stamina, strength, and feats of glory.

"If you are an artist, then perhaps, as a fellow artist you can join me. I can describe for you in glowing words what you might wish to draw, or perhaps you could draw me. I'm not the most burly achadhiel, but I've a thin frame so perhaps it would take less coal. A line or two and i'd be immortalized by the famous artiste..."

He trailed off. He had turned to lean somewhat on the stone beside him. Both legs bent at the knee, but one lay flat on the ground and the other turned towards the air, upon which he rested his other arm. The sounds of a frog far down the bank of the lake croaked and chirped its song of love to any that would hear.

Post by Guest »

Brenna paused in her retreat. A fellow artist... now there was something she had been secretly longing for all her life. 'I do not often draw people,' she said stiffly. Then, realising how curt she must have sounded, she felt she should explain further.

'I draw animals and all of the wonders of nature, and write about them,' she said, gazing across the expanse of water. 'I like trees, the way they move, the different shapes and what they remind you of; like clouds but more permanent, and with birds and animals, the way that they move, the mannerisms of their species...' She broke off, blushing, embarrassed that she had said so much.

What she longed to draw right now was the stillness of the lake, the wildlife that seemed to be in abundance around it and the gentle movement of the trees in the morning air. Most of all, she simply wanted to draw as an act of therapy, to calm herself from the confusions of her most recent experiences. Maybe this man would leave her in enough peace to draw here?

'Perhaps, if you allow me space on your rock..' she began haltingly. 'I'd like to draw the lake.'
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"There is room a plenty for you here, " He moved to the side slightly shifting his position to rest a heel in the waters edge lapping up onto the large flat stone.

"I like the leaves themselves like children clinging dearly to a parent who decides in time that she must let go. The leaves fall to the ground and return to grow again, year after year. The seeds however, are the dreams of the tree. Wild imaginations packed tightly into the little acorn or pine nut. The trees call out into the midnight sky looking for the helping hands of the squirrel to take that idea and plant it in the mind of the ground. Who then thinks of the tree and dreams the trees dream and another tree is born.

"I think trees are a wonderful thing to draw. Do you draw what is not there as well what is?"

Post by Guest »

Reluctantly, Brenna sat. She didn't want to admit it, but she was finding this man's conversation interesting. She had never talked about drawing with anyone before, and the pleasant flush of talking about oneself was too nice to give up too quickly.

'Why would I draw what isn't there, when what is all around me is so beautiful?' she countered. 'There is no need. Nature is a beauty all of it's own, and I choose only to represent it as best I can on paper.'

She looked across the lake, wistful all of a sudden. 'Although I do draw from memory sometimes... I like to sketch the trees and animals of the forest I lived in, back home. It's the only memory I want to remember. They were the only friends I had.' She didn't sound sad, just nostalgic for something she had left behind. But the advantages of leaving far outweighed those of staying.

'Perhaps if someone had fired my imagination with fantastical stories when I was younger, I would draw more fanciful things now. But all I had was what I could see, and I learned to see the beauty in that.'

She wondered why she was telling all this to a stranger, one she didn't even trust in the slightest. Maybe it was an inner longing for some sort of friend. 'I like your imagery, though. Maybe I see it a little like that. I've seen how the plants and the trees grow from the ground where those before them died, like a circle forever moving onwards.'
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"ah so you see, you do draw things that are not there. The cycle the life that happens day in and day out is both there and not there. Stories that tickle our flight of fancy are only the next step onto the stage. To draw from memory is one step and to draw what you wish to remember is another. You see?

"I think I'd like to remember the day we first met. There in the market, you buying apples? no, a fine silk cloth, red, with brilliant flowers that you would wear as a beautiful shawl. I would be a fine swordsman, who happened by looking for a lovely cafe, and I see you. You draw the silk across your face, teasing me, and I ask you if a fine hidden gem clothed so beautifully knew of a fine place to dine, and you would say that you did but you'd have to show me where."

He sighed, "I like the day we first met. What do you remember about it? Only what you remember, now."

Post by Guest »

Brenna openly stared at him, unsure what to make of his banter. No one had ever behaved like this around her before... not that she'd had many conversations that went any further than being told how worthless she was.

A frown flickered across her face, but shaded by her hood it was probably too small for him to see. Did she play along? He was obviously mad, so perhaps it was best just to humour him.

'I was buying my shawl...' she began haltingly. 'And I saw you standing with your sword... looking dashing.... and after we talked I took you by the hand and led you to...'

She stopped. Where did people go to eat?

'To an inn,' she finished lamely, an embarassed flush filling her cheeks. If only she could get away from this strange man. Why oh why had she sat down?
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"Oh Yes, that's right, it was The Feathered Dragon Inn. A place that seemed to be carved from a single gigantic tree with swirling dragon designs and fine food."

The man fell silent, yawned, then gave a little laugh. Floating across the water a cluster of small glowing lights danced about. They chaotic buzzed about one another while slowly approaching Brenna and the man, illuminating the waters along the way.

Within a few burns the the cluster of dancing lights would pass over the pair.

Post by Guest »

Brenna frowned, still totally confused. But the strange man (was he perhaps the strangest out of the three so far? At the moment she thought so) seemed to have stopped his bizarre monologue.

The hooded girl's eye was caught by the lights. They had to be the same as the ones she had followed earlier! Or were they?

She squinted out across the water at the lights, which appeared to be getting nearer. Were they something strange or just a swarm of fireflies? What did all this mean? Brenna's frown deepened. She didn't understand what was happening, at all.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Silence and time calmed Brenna as the mesmerizing lights of the will o' wisps approached. Their cluster of lights illuminated the pair as it passed over top of them. Brenna could see clearly for the first time the figure beside her. He was a handsome man in the face and while his body was well sculpted, it was scarred in much the same way her face was scarred. From his neck down to the rim of his pants, along the left side of his body.

He looked up and at her while the lights moved above them. And he smiled. The pale clouded blue of his eyes beneath the light of the will o' wisp revealed he had no pupils. The wisps passed along over the untouched foliage leaving the pair in darkness again. "You're very pretty," he said to break the silence.

Post by Guest »

Brenna felt as though she was in a dream. Her eyes widened. 'Oh,' she mouthed softly. She slowly pushed back her hood, her scarred face glowing under the flickering light of the will o' the wisp, and allowed her cloak to slip off her shoulders, revealing her arm as well.

His whispered compliment startled her even more. 'So... so are you,' she stuttered. 'Handsome, I mean...' He was, too, in her eyes. Even his pupil-less eyes appeared a most beautiful colour to her. She reached out her right hand and gently touched his cheek. 'Can I draw you?' she ventured shyly.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

He reached up and gently pressed her hand against his face, kissing her palm and breathing in her fragrance. "Yes," he said letting her go as gently as he had touched her flesh.

He leaned back to make himself comfortable against the stone now warm against his flesh. The will o's wisps flew rapidly and haphazardly back across the pair illuminating them quickly before moving higher in the air and darting and zipping about each other in some odd fae game.

The plop of a fish across the still waters echoed and the ripples came sullenly afterward to lap softly against the rock they sat upon. "Can you talk while you sketch or will it break your concentration?"

Post by Guest »

Brenna felt the gentle touch of his lips on her skin and wanted to savour the moment forever. She reached out one hand and traced the side of his jawline. 'I can talk...'

She dropped her hand and gazed out across the lake, wondering what had come over her. Feeling around inside her bag, she pulled out a stick of charcoal and some parchment. She let her gaze wander around the scene for a minute, before deciding where to start.

First she sketched out a rough outline of his body and the rock they were sat on, and then began to fill in details, paying special attention to his face. She completed the small drawing, smudging some areas of the charcoal and leaving other crisp and sharp, then held it out for his inspection. 'What do you think?' she asked shyly.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"It goes beyond mere words. The very subtleness of the lines marks the hands of one who knows beauty very intimately. Why is it again that you are out here alone? The wilderness at night is not always the safest place to be. I wouldn't want to keep someone waiting for you if they are looking. I think they would miss you very much."

The pupil-less eyes scanned the paper and then her face, his sincere smile made the concern he expressed seem like a mere trifle, a casual remark, where meaning was being searched for in a subtle manner.

Post by Guest »

Brenna blushed, but the man's last comments made her turn away from him and gaze down at the floor. She fiddled sadly with the folds of her thick black cloak. 'Noone is looking for me, and nobody will be looking for me. Ever,' she said quietly, her voice trailing off to a minute whisper by the end of the sentence.

'Nobody will miss me, either. I am a disgrace. I am a curse. I ruined my mother's life. That's why I left. I don't need people.'

The words were barely audible above the sounds from the lake and the trees around them, but Brenna couldn't hold them in any longer. She had never had anyone take any interest in her at all before, or even show her any other emotion than hostility, and she could not hold up her defensiveness for long.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

"I can't speak for your mother, but I would miss you for certain. Talented, Beautiful. But I suppose the curse of one person is always the blessing of another."

His pale blue pupiless eyes stared deeply at Brenna. The colors behind that solid blue rippled like the waters of the lake. "I am Angolin." He extended a hand to her in the presumption of a hand shake. The dance of the will o' wisps ended abruptly as a loud crashing sound from the woods echoed towards the pair.

Bursting from the edge of the foliage in much the same place that Brenna had initially come from, was the crazed elf from the hut. His body was riddled with scratches and in one hand he held the remains of a broken sword. He breathed heavily as he stared at the two.

Post by Guest »

Brenna didn't know what to say to that. She was totally out of her depth, unused to such things being said to her, or at least with sincerity and without sarcasm. Her pale cheeks flushed red and she looked at the floor.

She saw his hand extend to her and cautiously placed her own small hand in it. 'Brenna,' she offered.

She gasped and her hood fell from her head as the elf burst into the clearing. Letting go of Angolin's hand, she took a small, frightened step away from the bizarre sight. Her hand fell back to her side, and she could feel it quivering a little. This elf, whoever he was, was definitely not who she wanted to meet at this moment.
Torigm Khace

Post by Torigm Khace »

Angolin stood up and held his hands up in the air. The will o' wisp blinked out of existence it seemed as their mass scattering at this intrusion forced them in all directions. A cool darkness fell over both Brenna and Angolin with only the light of the stars and the occassional distant firefly. He stood slowly, "Sir, Are looking for something? Perhaps I can be of assistance. I know the woods well. No one has come through here though but fireflies and guppies.

"And I don't have anything on me either. So if you've come to rob whimsome couple then I can only give you the clothes off my back and I'll have to defend the lady." Brenna remembered similar words when she came busting through the foliage but the slight shift in Angolin's stance near hear and the shape of his arms and back let on that he was prepared for something.

The crazed elf pointed the broken blade towards Angolin and looked down at Brenna, "You, you seem familiar somehow." His gaze shifted back to Angolin, "I am looking for vile fae that has surely come this way. You must have seen the little mushrooms and pixies, I chased them right through the bush. They are disturbing my rest and..." THe crazed elf paused and looked closer at Angolin. "And if you know where I might find the prince of fae should you know the woods that well indeed."

Angolin was motionless, "Nothing has come this way, but you are welcome to continue to scout along the lake's edge. A path leads that direction which is the way I came."

The eld looked down on Brenna, "And you, girl, what way did you come?"

Post by Guest »

Brenna looked from Angolin to the bizarre elf and back again during their discourse. When the adhiel turned to her, she started in surprise. He made her feel very jumpy, perhaps more jumpy than the situations merited, but the day's events had begun to take their toll on her nerves.

'I... I' she began. Surely he remembered her? But if he did not, she didn't want to remind him. 'That way,' she finished weakly, pointing vaguely in the direction she had come.

She looked back at Angolin helplessly. She didn't really know what else to say. 'I have seen nothing either,' she added. 'Nothing at all.'

Suddenly, the confusion and fear she had been feeling for the last two days overwhelmed her. 'I...' she began again, looking fearfully from the elf to Angolin, who she wasn't entirely sure she could trust either.

In a snap, her mind was made up. She didn't have to stay here! Why should she be pushed around and intimidated by still more people? Al she wanted was some peace and somewhere to draw and write. And that place wasn't here. Scared, she looked quickly from one to the other, and then abruptly turned on her heel and ran into the forest. She did not care where she was going, as long as it was away from that place. And she could survive for a few days on her own in the depth of the trees. It wasn't as if she hadn't done it before.

She didn't even look back, but kept running.
Last edited by Guest on Mon May 30, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “On the Road Archive”