A Lonely Road

Moderator: Mods

A Lonely Road

Post by Guest »

Timestamp: Samheen 14th

In the distance, Brenna could see the forests of Tel'Arranae Quessir stretching off into the horizon. Her heart longed to be back in the woods again. She didn't feel comfortable out in the open like this, having to keep her cloak over her face all the time. She pulled it down further, uncomfotably aware of the reaction she would get if anyone saw underneath it. She looked around, and realised that, for the moment at least, she didn't need to be so vigilant. She was out in the open countryside, and there was noone she could see nearby.

'I think it's time for a break', she muttered to herself, dropping her backpack to the ground. Anyone nearby would have thought it strange that a girl supposedly on the run seemed so relaxed about how quickly and far she travelled, but Brenna had no need to worry. It's not like anyone's going to come looking for me she thought, but without any sadness. She had never known love from her mother, so she felt no pain in leaving her.

She sat down next to her backpack and pulled out a sheaf of parchment, a quill and some ink. Sucking the end of the parchment, she thought about what she could draw. In the sky above, a bird flew past, lazily floating on the updrafts. She quickly sketched a general impression of it, the act of drawing helping to focus her thoughts and help her think about where she would go next.

I can't go to TAQ she told herself. She knew nothing about the elves there, but she had heard stories that they were hostile to strangers and she had no wish to get involved with hostile people. I'm going to have enough problems surviving as it is she thought. She looked at the trees with longing, then turned away to face east, where she had heard of huge mountains and then, impossibly far away, a desert that stretched on to the sea. No, there was no point in going that way.

She turned west. I'll go towards Roque d'Ancourt. There were forests near there, she knew, and at least then she was near a town if she did have need to go somewhere where there were people.

She hauled her pack back onto her back after shoving her drawing inside, and began to trudge westwards.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caelin

Post by Caelin »

After a couple of miles in the direction of Rogue D'Ancourt, Brenna gets a feeling that she is being watched. With every step the feeling grows stronger, though everywhere she looks, she cannot find anyone or anything that would cause this feeling.

For a good number of miles, this feeling stays on. Occasionally it lessens slightly, only to return after a few burns. The sounds of the forest do not seem any different then before, though she knows that this is not her imagination.

Post by Guest »

Brenna could feel the now familiar feeling of tension and anticipation burning inside her. Strangely, she didn't feel fear. Perhaps it was that she was so used to hiding, to running away now, that any possibility for fear had gone, or perhaps it was just that she was too used to being spied on in the forests of her home by curious locals. Although her mother had been anxious that no-one know about her, she knew that most of the village not only knew but had looked for her at some point. In some ways she didn't mind; it was nice, in a peculiar way, to have someone, anyone, interested in her. In other ways it was horrible.

She pulled her cloak over her face a bit more as she remembered. She knew, deep down, that their interest had been simply because of how she looked. As her mother had frequently reminded her. However, those past watchers had never wanted to hurt her, at least not physically, and she had no reason to assume that whoever was watching her now wanted to either. Or whatever, she thought. Even so, her stomach felt taught with pent up anxiety.

Suddenly, she felt tired, fed up with this life of having to hide her face for fear of what others might say. I ran away to escape my mother's constant reminders that I am worth nothing because of who I am she thought angrily. I don't need to keep telling myself.

She threw her cloak off of her face and laughed at the feeling of fresh air on her cheeks. 'Whoever you are, you can keep watching me', she cried. 'I don't care.' She dropped her pack and whirled around. 'Look at me.' she shouted. 'Take a good look. Cos' I'm proud to look like this.' She took a deep breath and yelled once more. 'LOOK!' Then, suddenly, she sat on the ground, half smiling, half wanting to burst into tears.
Caelin

Post by Caelin »

much to her surprise, at the moment she sank to the ground, a voice reached Brenna's ears. The voice seemed to come from all around her, as the person spoke and circled the spot she sat in. "Do you always shout when you think you are being watched? Are you aware that you would be an easy prey for a predator? What made you travel here all alone, little one?"

Even though the person, does not attempt to come closer, the voice Brenna hears makes her shiver a little. The words, though not hostile, are spoken with a rapid staccato, like arrows fired at her from a distance. Oddly enough, she does not hear the person walk around, but the voice seems to come from before her, then from behind her and another time from one of her sides.

"You should not travel alone through this area, young human. Not many days ago, orcs and their minions lurked in these woods and laid siege to the City of Kings Court. Could you have defended yourself against one of them?" The voice now seem to come from her right, closer then before, almost as if she was being circled, in ever closing circles.

Post by Guest »

Brenna tried to follow the voice as it spoke, turning her head to where it seemed to have come from. But still she could see nothing. Although others might have thought that they had spotted something, Brenna had lived in the woods for too long to believe she was seeing things she was not. She ignored the voices questions; they were not ones she wanted to think about. She was all too aware that she was practically defenceless. Still, she fingered the knife in her pocket, although she knew that if someone attacked her she probably wouldn't even remember it being there, still less know how to use it.

'I can look after myself', she half whispered, half muttered at the voice. I've been doing it for long enough, she silently added. 'What do you care, anyway?' she said defiantly, lifting her chin stubbornly and trying to look in the direction the sound was coming from. She was trying to look fearless - she knew that animals reacted to fear, and although she knew little of fellow humans, she decided that they were close enough related to behave similarly. They certainly act like they are she thought, reminded of the behaviour of the few people she had met.

Although she tried to stop it, another shiver ran down her spine. Something about the way the voice spoke made her feel disconcerted, and she felt her anger disipate to be replaced by a tightness in her throat. Why is this making me want to cry? she thought, angry again suddenly. I never cry.
Caelin

Post by Caelin »

With her ears perked to it's full extent, catching even the rushing of the slight breeze, Brenna still could not hear anyone (or anything) move around her. Her eyes kept scanning the brushes and the shadows around her, but spotted nothing.

Then the voice came again, from her left this time and closer once more, while it came from the right not a few flickers ago. "I never said I cared, yet I asked. You try not to show that your nerves are starting to get the better of you, like any human would try. I am not an animal however, little lady, nor am I elf. What I could have done is pick you off, like ripe fruit from a tree, at my convenience. So far for being capable of looking out for yourself, isn't it?"

From the bushes in front of her came a man, clad in some sort of wrapped cloth and wearing sandals, around his waist a greenish belt that looked to be cloth too. His eyes pierced straight into those of Brenna, as he stepped closer without a single sound, while his hand rested on one of the daggers sticking out from under the belt. The man's face was tanned and beardless and his hair quite long, but his eyes gave her the shivers again, as they resembled those of a cat. "What brings you to these parts, little miss, especially alone in an area that is not safe? I don't understand how you humans can be so foolish." He stopped and stared at her, shaking his head lightly. "That what you are clenching your hand around, inside your pocket is not going to help much, miss, should I decide to harm you."
Last edited by Caelin on Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Brenna stared at the man, her eyes wide and slightly afraid. He had said he was not an elf. But he was not a human either. 'You humans' he had said. 'Who are you?' she asked, her voice awed and subdued. She noticed that her cloak seemed to be moving, and realised that she was shaking slightly. The man's eyes were strange, too. Having lived in the forest for so many years, she had seen many strange things, mostly due to the shadows the trees spread across the ground, but never had she seen a person as strange as this.

Why do I feel afraid? she wondered. He had said that he could have 'picked her off'... but he hadn't. So he's not going to hurt me, she reassured herself. Hearing his final words, she looked down at her hand resting on the knife in her pocket. It was true, she had neither the skill nor the inclination to defend herself with it if it came ot a fight. She simply wouldn't remember it was there.

Shivering, she looked back up at the man, feeling small and strangely naked. He made her feel as though he could see straight through her. It wasn't a nice sensation. She pulled her cloak protectively over her face again, hiding her scars and trying to feel less violated.
Caelin

Post by Caelin »

The man approached Brenna, then pointed at the ground, to indicate for them to sit down. "First things first, shall we sit down? This is easier to talk, is it not?" Calmly he sat down and looked at her.

"You should not hide who you are, miss. What matters is the person within, not that which is worn on the outside." With a swift motion he leaned back a little and listened to the surrounding sounds.

"Human I am not, if that is what you are referring to, nor elf, nor both. Perhaps in time you will know, yet now is not that time. For now you can consider me a guardian of the wild, which is what most seem to do." He smiled slightly and made a gesture towards the area in general. "Where are you planning on going and what is your name, miss?"

Post by Guest »

Brenna looked at the man. She couldn't think of any reason not to tell him. What could he possibly do with the information to harm her? In her limited experience, there was no reason for her to refuse his request. Slowly, she sank to the ground, pulling back her hood again as she did so.

'My name is Brenna', she told him. There was no point in telling him her second name. It was just the nickname her mother had given her - she had never told her their true family name. It was another way of distancing herself from the child she dispised. Brenna looked west, in the direction she had been walking. 'I was heading towards Roque d'Ancourt', she added. 'But I just want to find somewhere with forest, where I can draw. I just need to be near people so that I can get supplies. I don't want anything to do with anyone else.' Or they won't want anything to do with me, she added silently. She looked at the floor, saddened by this fresh reminder that no matter where she went or who she met, they would always judge her on her appearance.

Except for this man. 'Guardian of the Wild' he had called himself. For whom, and why? she wondered. A guardian guards at the request of someone else. Where had this man come from? She looked up and stared at him once more with clear grey eyes.
Caelin

Post by Caelin »

The man leaned a little forwards, then shook his head and replied to her.
"Brenna, Rogue D'Ancourt is a city filled with nobles during the summer, who hunt innocent animals for their diversion and pleasure. During the winter, it is almost empty. Not much woodland around there, for your enjoyment, nor for mine."

He pointed to the NorthEast and smiled. "If woods, peace and friendly people is what you seek, you need to head in that direction."

OOC: Sorry for my long absence, Annwen.

Post by Guest »

Brenna looked in the direction he had pointed, and saw forest rolling off like a great sea as far as her eyes could make out. 'Friendly people?' she queried. 'But I've heard...' Her voice trailed off as she remembered that what people said was not always true. At home, hadn't the local people whispered rumours about her, most of them fantastical? And why was that? Because they had never met me, she realised. This man seemed to know of the people of Tel' Arranae Quessir. She was certain that, in the places she had heard rumours, the stories had been passed through many hands before being related to her.

Looking back at her mysterious advisor, she realised that she felt she could trust what he said. What reason had he to deceive her? She didn't really want to go to Roque d'Ancourt. She wanted somewhere with forest. And so if he said that she would receive a friendly welcome in the forests of the north, then maybe she would. I might as well find out, anyway, she told herself.

'That's what I'm looking for', she said. 'If I can find it where you have said, then I will be happy.' Her eyes drifted back to the green horizon. That was where her heart was drawn, after all. She had not wanted to turn her back on those glorious trees, which promised to be full of the wildlife, flora and fauna that she loved to draw and describe.

ooc: Don't worry about it!
Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caelin

Post by Caelin »

The man nodded to Brenna and slowly rose to his feet, his movements agile and with an uncanny precision. He turned his head to her and he smiled faintly, when he started his reply. "Many stories go around the world about the elves, but even someone like myself is welcomed by them, so why not you. The elves have a different regard towards life then most other races, accepting that which stands before them more easily, as being a part of nature. Since I will be travelling in that direction myself, why don't you travel with me?"

His eyes took a quick glance over their surroundings and for a flicker Brenna could swear she saw his ears perk up, to listen for any sounds that should not have been there. "You may either call me Guardian or refer to me as Katharr."

Post by Guest »

Brenna looked at the man. 'All right.... Guardian', she said slowly. Her mind was full of curiosity. Someone like myself, he had said. Who was he? From his movements, his agility, his manner, she would say he was an elf. But she had had so little experience of the elven race. Or even the human race, she thought.

Travelling with someone else. Now there was something she ahd never imagined herself doing. For a moment she felt panicked. What if he won't let me stop to draw? she inwardly questioned. I don't really know this person. She had never had anyone willing to protect her, so she had to do it for herself. But this time she felt willing to take a chance. Maybe it was that the thought of finding someone willing to travel with her, who didn't torment her or even care about how she looked, felt good.

She half wanted to ask the man why he was going to TAQ. But she hadn't told him anything but the outermost of her reasons for leaving her home, so why should she expect him to tell her. Better for our reasons to stay hidden she decided.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

"You don't sound all that convinced my dear, though I quite agree...we all have our reasons when it comes to secrets" the spritely gentleman smiled and winked at the young woman. No, Brenna could be certain that she had not voiced her concern but somehow, perhaps it was the way she kept so quiet that he had discerned her thoughts.

"Well then 'Brenna'" he smiled again, like he knew more than he was letting on. "Would you mind so terribly if we sat here a bit then?" he sat down cross legged, however he seemed to float a few inches off of the ground. "Ahhhh....much better, my feet are killing me."

Post by Guest »

Brenna looked at the man, confusion and awe building up inside her. She was getting dangerously close to another outburst. She was half tempted just to walk off, carry on on her own... Being alone is so much easier, she sighed to herself. She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. A couple of locks of dark hair came loose from their tie, and she absentmindedly tucked them behind her ear.

She sat, but her mind was buzzing. How could he appear to know so much about her? Having lived in the forest all her life, she was no stranger to things appearing to be something different from reality, but this smacked of magic. Calm down, she told herself. He doesn't know anything. He can't.

Pushing her cloak back a little so that she could see better, she gazed over the man's shoulder at the neverending sea of green rolling off into the horizon. She took a deep breath of the fresh air and felt her confusion disappear. When she felt calmer, she looked back, directly into the man's eyes, and waited for him to say something.

ooc: Thanks for taking over the thread! :) I typed this once and the computer lost it, :x so if it seems a bit disjointed it's because I couldn't remember exactly what I'd written...
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

"What is it exactly that you would like me to say my dear?" the funny little figure stared back into Brenna's own grey orbs. "You DO have a tongue dont you?" Without invitation he gets up, reaches over and opens her mouth for a quick look before she has a chance to realize what he's done.

"Hey..what do you know, it's still there!" he looked rather pleased with himself and this discovery. "Now the question is are you going to use it? Or have you suddenly been struck dumb?" he was smiling and gave her a wink.

Post by Guest »

Brenna glared at the man, anger boiling up inside her at his touching her. 'What do you want me to say? There's no point in talking if you've nothing worth saying.' She looked around her, the surroundings making her wish all the more she could just reach the forests she had dreamed about and settle down to write. 'If we were to talk of the beauty of the trees, or the wonder of nature... but even then it's better to look and enjoy than talk. When you talk you miss things.' She frowned. Why did he want to know about her?
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

The little man's jaw just...dropped "No point in talking?" this seemed to have shocked him more than just a little. "There is always reason to talk, unless of course you are a mute...or deaf...then maybe it would be pointless. You dont hear a whole lot when you are deaf thats for sure." he was beginning to ramble on for a few burns about the futility of talking to a deaf man, especially if he were blind as well.

Finally he seemed to have said his piece and sits down right across from her and stares into her eyes unblinking...like he was challenging her not to blink.

Post by Guest »

Brenna stared back. Inwardly, however, she was sighing. Where is this going, she thought frustratedly. All I want to do is leave, to write and draw. And now I'm stuck here. I should never have started to speak with him. But it had been his interest in her that first started the conversation. Somewhere, deep inside her, she felt glad that someone was interested in her, and not just because of her face. She pulled her hood further over her eyes and broke Katharr's gaze.

Instead, she stared over his shoulder, and came to a decision. Standing up, she looked down at him, her eyes shadowed by the dark hood of her cape. 'I don't know what you want from me. Or why you approached me. But what I want is to carry on to Tel'Arranae Quessir. You can come too, if you want. I don't care.' Her dark hair fell down around her face as she began to pick up her pack, having finally come loose from it's tie. She sighed in annoyance and carried on. 'But this is going nowhere.'

Another thought struck her, so obvious that she wondered why she hadn't realised sooner. For all he said, all he could do, he was just another thrillseeker after a curiosity. And she knew that people found her a curiosity. Suddenly, all she wanted was to leave, and to leave then. 'Goodbye', she said curtly, trying to keep her irritation from her voice. It only gives them something more to gawp at, if you let them know how you feel, she reminded herself.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

For a moment Katharr stood there with a stricken look on his face like Brenna had slapped him before she got up and started walking. She had not gotten far when she heard a gurgling sound and what could have been a body falling against the earth.

"O..oh my, this isnt good...not good at all." came Katharr's voice although it sounded much weaker that it had previously. "Th...they are all gone."

Post by Guest »

Brenna sighed with annoyance. Her patience was running very thin. 'Who's gone?' she asked impatiently. 'You know, if you're that desperate for someone to talk to, why not say something that makes sense?' Her brow wrinkled at the noise Katharr... or something... had made. Should I turn around? she wondered. Or is this just his ploy to get me to stay? She felt thoroughly annoyed and confused, but she couldn't just leave him. I don't want to be like them. I don't want to judge someone straight away when I don't know the facts, she reminded herself. But this was so frustrating. Why couldn't she just be alone?

Slowly, she turned around, first of all just twisting her head and then finally turning to face the strange being. 'Will you please just explain what is going on?' she asked, exasperated, before she could see what had happened. Or what hasn't happpened, she thought sardonically.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

"I dont know the how or the why of it but...the elves...they're gone." he sat on the ground his eyes wide and his mouth even wider as if in a state of shock. "Where did they go do you think? Who could do such a thing? Why are we still standing here? When...what...?"

Jumping to his feet he takes hold of Brenna's hand as if he expects her to following along willingly.

Post by Guest »

On reflex Brenna tugged away her hand. 'Don't touch me', she burst out, although she didn't shout. Unused to being touched by anyone, she automatically became defensive if anyone tried. She knew only too well what people thought of her appearance, and although Katharr gave the impression he didn't care, she didn't want to have any more contact than she had to.

Calming her voice, she fixed her gaze on the cat-eyed man, voicing her immediate reaction. 'What do you mean? And how do you know?' As her mind digested what he had said, more questions bubbled to the surface. 'And what can we do about it anyway?'

She thought about the implications of what he had said. No elves... if it was true then something was happening in the elven forests. Did she really want to go there? I don't want to walk into danger, she knew. All I want is some peace and quiet. And if someone has overcome the elves, then... Well, there's not really going to be much tranquility, is there? From what she had heard of the elves, she thought (though she had never knowingly met one) that they must be a strong race, haughty, and unwilling to mix with humans. Although Katharr said earlier that they were friendly...

Her thoughts racing around still in her head, she turned to her long haired companion, wondering what he would say.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

"Its not enough for you that I just know is it?" Katharr stood up and brushed himself off. "Very well, I'll tell you, but first you have to tell me something about you..after all, you seem to be able to use your tongue just fine when it suits your purpose." he didnt sound at all upset, merely curious.
"How do you manage to make any friends like that?"

Post by Guest »

Brenna stuck out her chin defiantly. 'I don't,' she said determinedly, though inside she felt the familiar shame. Her mother's words rang around in her head. A curse on the family... nothing but bad luck... Mallory.... bad luck... You'll never mean anything to anyone... just a curse...

She shivered. But you don't have to listen to her anymore. You left, remember? she reminded herself. 'I neither need nor want friends,' she added tersely. 'Now, tell me why,' she demanded, staring at the strange man. How could he believe that he knew so much? Her rude curiosity had overtaken her general desire to be as far away from anyone as possible, and she was fascinated by this man's presumption. Her mind was telling her to turn and walk away, but her heart wanted to listen. She hovered indecisively, confused inwardly but still with an expression of disbelief on her half hidden face.

Return to “On the Road Archive”