A dream within a dream (Isaac)

Moderator: Mods

Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

The sadness was reflected in a quivering of the young girl's lips. "I'm Nishi..." She trembled. "I thought you were Isaac. He was going to save me, he promised. But you're not Isaac and I'm scared!"

The earth rumbled. It smelled of sulfur and dust. The girl yelled and jumped up from her rock, throwing herself in Mio's arms.

"Please get me out of here, please get me out of here, please get me out of here!" She chanted. "They're coming closer! They don't listen to me anymore, I can't make it up! I wanna go home!"

The mountain loomed, an ominous red glow lighting up the surroundings.

Take me home...

The voice faded. Mio was jolted back into her body with Abigail simply staring at her. She was holding a mug of tea, her eyes worried. "What did you see?" Her voice asked, so sure that the woman WOULD have seen something.

Hollery bit back his comments, pursing his lips as he watched Mio come back to the waking world.
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities

Post by Guest »

Fear and sadness ran through Mio with an electric jolt, and before she could react to the little girl, she found herself staring into the eyes of Abigail. She shivered freely now, not from cold, but from shock. Her body felt as fragile as a feather, as quivery as a bow. She shut her eyes, and clenched her fists by her side, willing herself not to faint.

"What did you see?"

The little adhiel breathed in, feeling the warm air of the room seep into her lungs.

'I saw Nishi.' she said quietly. She looked up at Abigail, her eyes troubled and confused, 'She's scared. She wants to go home.' Her lip trembled and she swallowed convulsively, her voice hardly more than a whisper, 'I don't understand. She's dead. Isn't she?'
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Eyes darkened yet again. "She is dead." The young woman confirmed. "And her soul trapped...poor child. All souls should return to the Mother, but no...the dark ones keep her. And she is just the first of many to come if we let Matthew Hope have his way."

She put the mug with tea down and followed suit, her head in her hands. "I'm no woodsperson." She sighed. "I'm no fighter. I live to help those in need and now..." Abigail motioned around her, her eyes dangerously moist. "I know how to keep the dark ones at bay, but only if I stand within my right! With the way things are going now, I will have no power over them whatsoever! Mio..."

She looked the other woman in the eyes. "Mio, I know it is a lot to ask. I know you are not even from here, but Nishi called to you...it must mean that somehow...somehow you are tied in with the energies at work here. Please, I ask you for your help. Something must be done and fast! I can send you into your dreams...if Nishi called you there, you must be susceptible to the dreamwalk! You would be able to find out what we need to do..."

The woman lowered her eyes. "But I have no right to ask this of you. I do not even know how you came to be here."

Post by Guest »

The little adhiel's hazel eyes widened in sudden fear,

'But... Nishi didn't call to me! She called to Isaac... I...' A cold hand passed down her spine as she realised that Abigail must be speaking the truth. She had travelled through mysterious and unimaginable forces, thrown through time and space, and landed here. She could no longer just dismiss all this as a deeply vivid and horrible dream: The scratches on her legs and the weariness in her bones told her that much. For what other purpose could she have been brought here but to do something valuable? Something as important as saving a girl's soul? As fighting this.. One god?

Mio ran a shaky hand through her curly hair, closing her eyes to block everything out, especially Abigail.

'' you must be susceptible to the dreamwalk! You would be able to find out what we need to do..."

...You would be able to find out what we need to do..."

'I feel like I've been dreamwalking for a long time.' she said quietly, as if to herself: Her eyes were still closed. Mio sighed and told herself to look at Abigail, scared, but resolved.

'What must I do?'
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Abigail looked up in surprise. "Are you sure you want to go through with this? I would not blame you if you refused...we are but strangers to you after all." Her eyes rested on the Adhiel woman, relief and anticipation clearly reflected.

"But if you will go...I could help you into trance...maybe that will get you back into the dreamwalk. You must remember a few vital things: whatever you do, always remember that your physical body is here, in this room. If you get hurt, your mind may convince your body that it is all real! The other danger that lies in the dreamwalk is when your mind decides it wants to stay there. It can be a beautiful place...or a terrible one." She almost looked jealous. "There are times I wish I could enter, but I can't." The woman confessed, confirming the look on her face.

"Once you enter the dreamwalk, look for anything that you may recognize from here so you'll know you are walking the right path. I am not sure what you might encounter, so please, be careful. You might see other people's dreams, but don't linger too long. The old nursery rhyme I told you about, it mentions a sleeper, a dreamer and a guard. Now, I have always thought the dolmen to be the guard, since they have been standing for a long time. But the sleeper and the dreamer...I have no clue. They might even be the same! See if you can find anything about that."

"Do you have any more questions or doubts?"

Post by Guest »

You're actually going to do this? a little cold voice asked at the back of her mind. Mio nodded numbly, partly to what Abigail was saying, and partly in answer. 'Yes. I am.'

You don't know these people. They are strangers, you have nothing to prove. You could just walk out now, find your way home. the voice continued, a hum of cold logic in her head.

'I have to. The girl asked.' She replied to it, trying to force it back where it came from so she could concentrate.

She asked, so you'll do as she says? You might die.

Mio frowned, 'I might.'

Does that not bother you?

'Yes.' she replied, unsure if it was the answer to both questions, 'What will happen if I find her again? What should I do?'
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Abigail tried so hard to be sure of herself, of the situation and even of their course of action. But truth be told: the woman was at her wits end. Unless somehow they found a way to restore the stone to it's former glory -which was more than just putting it up right, the cards had told her that!, they were bound to have to surrender the lands to the dark ones...for no hair on her head was convinced that Matthew Hope was going to be able to hold on to the land he so greedily reached for from the safeties of his church.

She wanted to be sure.
She wasn't.

A deep sigh followed. "I'm sorry, Mio. I have no clues, no answers written on a convenient piece of folded parchment. I have been given signs and portents..." She waved a hand in the air and towards a table containing some cards. "But it all remains vague. I keep getting the crossroads, which means it can go both ways. There was also a card telling me about far travels...I'm guessing this is it. This is a unique chance. The girl has been with the dark ones for months now, from right after the toppling of the stone. Maybe she knows more than we, or maybe the other sphere will...I don't know...oh gods, I don't know!"

"I am sorry. Shall we try, please? It is a chance...I can't pass up this chance, but it involves other lives...yours...so the choice is yours."

Post by Guest »

There was no point in denying it, Mio was scared. A constant shiver appeared to be inching its way up and down her spine, and she crossed her arms, hoping to squeeze away her fear.

''...it involves other lives...yours...so the choice is yours."

A look of shock passed across the little adhiel's face and she swallowed abruptly,

'You... I... you want to try now??' Suddenly Mio looked very young: Her hazel eyes widened with fear and her face assumed a look of complete childlike inexperience. Abigail's hesitance terrified her, and she subconsciously rubbed one hand agitatedly across her forehead,

'I...alright.' she finished lamely, wondering whether she should simply run out of the door now before it was too late. ''This is a unique chance''.... Oh Pan, what am I doing here?
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

"Thank you." Came the relieved response from Abigail. "Please relax...everything you have with you, will be with you from what I understand. Remember you are not there in body. When you get lost...remember the moonlit path. Remember where you really are...whoever you meet, you are the one this is about...do not linger too long on other people's dreams...remember your task...."

Remember!

A darker voice responded: "You are doing what you should...fighting the growing darkness. The time has gone for bystanders. All my children must stand and FIGHT!"

With the last word everything changed. Hollery was gone, Abigail was nowhere in sight. Everything was dark, save the silver path Mio found herself on. The path stretched on in two directions, some thin sidebranches ending up in foresty areas, others in the mountains. Some ended up behind a thin veil of fog, making it impossible to peek in. The darkness went on forever, only broken by tiny specks of silver light here and there.

There was no sign of the threatening mountain or of the little girl named Nishi.

Post by Guest »

''You are doing what you should...fighting the growing darkness. The time has gone for bystanders. All my children must stand and FIGHT!"

'Wha..?' The little adhiel stared wildly around, confused and lost. The voice seemed to echo in her head, bouncing off the walls in her mind, and she shook her head frantically to clear it. She couldn't recall the transition between standing in front of Abigail and this place, but it had felt the same as before... she hoped it was the same as before.

That voice. It hadn't been Abigail, nor Hollery, and there was no one here now, or at least, no one she could see. Mio swallowed a welt of rising panic and glanced around,

'h..hello?' she called tentatively. Somewhere in her mind, a small logical voice calmly explained that if she couldn't see the owner of the voice, then it probably didn't exist. Mio found this explanation unacceptable for the reason that this theory most likely pointed in the direction of madness on her part.

Shut. Up. she told herself firmly, lifting a hand to brush a lock of escaped curly hair behind her ear. Get on with it.

Get on with what, though? The most obvious way to go was the path, and the adhiel found her self following it, knowing only that she had to find Nishi, and that was all.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

With the distinctly male voice still echoing in her head it was still strange to experience the complete silence on the moonlit path. One might have expected a tingling sound or perhaps even running water or anything ethereal....but...nothing.

"H..hello?" The tentative word left her mouth and travelled further, never bouncing back because there was nothing to reflect the sound. The air was of the exact same temperature as her body, making it hard to believe there was anything around her at all.

Yet there was.

The moment Nishi's name floated in and out of her mind a little speck of light appeared, dancing on the path and teasing her forwards.

ooc
You are cordially invited to join your new thread here:

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.p ... 93&start=0

Return to “On the Road Archive”