All This & More: Dorian Drake - Samheen 10

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Balthasar's the king," she replied. "Well, will be king once he's married a I understand. He's the prince now, if he's not dead like some claim. And yes, the lady was Evish and they don't know who stole her. I heard it claimed that Church of the One did it but I don't know I believe that. The king has always married an Elven princess and they say it helps keep our countries at peace. So, it stands ta reason that whoever did this is trying to stir up trouble b'tween the two. Least, that is what some say," she paused for a moment thinking.

"I figured Dora'd know a bit, bein' at the inn. Lots of news comes through the tavern, folks come in talkin' about all sorts o'things. Mostly, I think nobody knows much o'what's really happenin' and that's why the townspeople are afraid. Specially after the Orc attack. Lotta mistrust. You think this is what the Mer wanted you ta watch for Dorian?"
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian listened to his wife, having never learned not to do so. The King ? He was only vaguely aware of the King, it was more or less where the money he paid in taxes wound up, as far as he knew. It had never really mattered before, as the name of the King did not influence the market value of fish. He let her think, his own brains slowly churning along to process the information himself. Kings and politics was well outside his realm of expertise.

"It....sounds like it might be," Dorian said, after some painstaking reflection. "Redlon said something about the dark times coming back. I reckon I ought to tell them that the Elvish lass got stolen, and what Redlon said. After I talk to Aunt Dora. She might hear a lot, being at the inn." He paused. "Reckon she'd like some meat, too. Should I go after dinner ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Smiling broadly, the blonde leaned forward and hugged her husband tightly.

"Dora adores you," she giggled. "I am sure she'd love ta have a visit from ya," she assured him and kissed his cheek.

"And I'd like ta hear what she's ta say about all this as well," she leaned back, wrapped up her sewing work, tucked it in a bag and put it in the chest.

"The soup is smellin' wonderful. Ya saw Redlon at the whale carcass t'day? How was he? Nice old man, he is," she pulled out some bowls and spoons, setting them aside for when the soup was done. Cat had moved away and was sitting watching something in the corner behind the chest.

"D'ya think we might have ta... move somewhere else, Dorian?" she asked quietly. "Where might we go? Across the lake?" There had been a time when going across the lake seemed a wonderful adventure the girl could hardly wait to embark upon. But that had only been to visit the place and come back home, not a permanent move. King's Court had been difficult enough but family had helped make a strange place less frightening and Dora had been so helpful. They wouldn't have that advantage somewhere else. Still, there was Dorian, sure and steady as a rock, like an anchor for the flighty adventurous Maranda.

Suddenly cat lunged at the chest and a small squeak was silenced by a shake of the gray head. Sitting up, the gray feline dropped something from her mouth with a small thud and sat watching it carefully, patting it with her paw occasionally.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian pondered, stopped to stir the dinner, and pondered some more. "Across the water," he said. "Until the place settles down. This shack is ours." He eyed the cat. The trouble that was coming might come on them as fast as the cat on that mouse. "But it's just a shack." he added. "If we run for it, we'll row fast and far." That he would have to leave this place wasn't something he had ever considered, but he had not the connected feeling to the community that Maranda seemed to have.

So long as there was fishing, he didn't much mind where he was. The thought of running across country to Maranda's family there didn't occur to him - a Selkie's response to trouble from the land was to go to the water. A Drake was fiercely self-sufficient, as well. He would not be bothered overmuch by any move, unless it was over land, and then he'd take the land-travelling sickness something fierce. As long as he could see the water, he was fine.

He looked at the soup, seeing the marrow had melted to make it richly brown and full of nourishment. "Looks done," he said, and took the bowl Maranda handed him, filling it with soup for her. Then he filled a bowl for himself. He'd haul some meat into town, to Dora, and ask her what she thought of this mysterious darkness. And maybe Dora had a lantern she could spare, so Maranda could sew and he could weave traps until he could buy his wife a proper lantern. With those thoughts settled in his mind, he took up a spoon and began to eat.

The concerns of other men did not run through his head. He wasn't craving power; he wasn't interested in glory, or in seeking the admiration of others. He was quite happy in his life, content to work hard, to please Maranda, to have a quiet little existance in a corner of the world largely unbothered by the doings of great men and women. He owed a debt and gave service to the Mer, for in his mind, they were neighbours. If there was anything he wanted, it was to know what had become of his skin, and even that rarely troubled him. He'd gone along without it for so long now, anyway. Of such stalwart, plain folk are the waves of trouble broken.

When dinner was finished, and the begging cat had gotten her share and her mouse had gone into his bait bucket, Dorian put on the rope sandals. "If I'd not gone down after the fish, she'd have drug down the boat," he said, "then I couldn't swim well enough, I had to take off my sandals. If I go harpooning again, I won't wear anything on my feet." That he had blithely jumped into the water still didn't concern him as it had Redlon and the other men. Selkies hunted their prey in the water. That he had lost a pair of sandals would bother him for years - he was a Drake.

"I'll just take along some meat to Aunt Dora, then," he said, and left Maranda with a kiss, going on his errand. He rarely went into town after dark, as it was harder to see those tripping cobblestones, but he resolved to be very careful. He was due a good portion of the whale, and did not plan on even taking the full share - just what was needed.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Town was quiet, quieter than normal as was the tavern though the still open space was lit up with an abundance of lamps and the smell of roast pork and cabbage wafted several streets away. Those that were at the Laughing King talked and laughed as usual though the faces looked a bit more strained than in days gone by. Times had been hard on the city and those who lived within the walls.

Busy in the kitchen, Dora smiled broadly when she saw the fisherman. Wiping her hands on her apron, she hugged him firmly before holding him at arms length and studying him.

"My but yer lookin' fit and fine, Dorian," she patted him on the arm and turned loose. "Looks as if marriage agrees with ya, though no doubt livin' on the outskirts o' town has helped ya ta avoid some o' the worst troubles." She looked around what served as the common room and back at the young man.

"Where's Maranda?" she asked as she took his arm and pulled him over to a table in the kitchen area. "Can I get ya somethin' ta eat? Drink?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"She's home with the Cat," said Dorian, grinning. "I came along after dinner, so I'm fine. Brought you this." he handed over the bucket. "More will come along, but tis curing in the smokehouses. I came to ask to borrow a lamp so she can see better to sew, til she can pick out one in the marketplace she likes, if you can spare one, or mayhap a candle." He thought of Maranda first, then his mind went to what Dora had said, and his obligations to the Mer. And he was finding that marriage did indeed suit him quite well.

"What did you mean, when you said troubles ?" he asked, speaking slowly, for he was working hard in his mind to ask the right questions. The questions that would explain things by their answers, and make the matter clear to him. "Is there some kind of shadow coming back ? Have you heard anything about it ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Taking the bucket from the young man, Dora's eyes grew wide as did her smile.

“Ooooo, muc-an-sgadain! Thank you dear,” she purred as she took the offered fish over and dumped them into a large basin. After instructing another worker to take care of the fish, she grabbed two cups of tea and headed to the table with Dorian. Handing him a cup, she settled herself and listened, nodding at his request for a lamp.

“Surely I can find something round here,” she smiled. “D'ya want somethin' ta hand on the wall or a table lamp?” she queried and sipped her tea as she considered which lamp she could get her hands on might best suit the shack and Maranda's need. Then she fell into listening to Dorian's questions about the troubles and shadows.

“Troubles? Goodness, the string o' woes that's come ta the city this past year. What b'tween the drenching summer rains that nearly killed all the crops, ta the storm we had, the orcs attackin' the city and now, news that the King is dead, his bride stolen and the Elvish nation upset at us over it,” the woman sighed and shook her head.

“Has been a terrible year, Dorian. Worse, I don't see it gettin' any better any time soon. As for the shadows, there's lots of rumors about but of course no one knows anything for sure. Tis odd that we've had such a run of bad luck, but that's still no proof that darkness is behind it all. Still, makes one wonder and so folks talk about demons loose and the like. Still, unless ya believe that those who've been left with some sort of power are part of the dark tis hard to say anything for sure and somehow I don't think folks such as Father Demetrion are part of the dark forces.” The woman shrugged.

“Lot's I don't know about all that's going on but I fear thing'll get worse b'fore they grow better, Dorian. Why the sudden interest in shadows?”
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian absorbed this information, his brows knitting. That was a lot to think about, for him. He let Dora decide what would be best. He didn't actually have a table, per se, but if you turned the bucket upside down, that was good enough, right ? As for the tea, it was a strange treat for him to have tea. Lake water was good enough. Ale was expensive, and he didn't crave it. He sipped it, savouring each mouthful.

As for crops, his main vegetable source, the lakeweed, was unaffected by extra water, and he hadn't yet seen an orc and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. In his mind, they were something like the Drowned: an occupational hazard that must be dealt with by means of force. That the King was dead, and his Elf-Bride stolen, well, that was Hot News to Dorian. As was demons. He pigeonholed demons with orcs, as Trouble to be Sorted out with one's Gaffing Hook. He was a simple man who sought simple solutions.

A niggling worry surfaced again, in the morass of thoughts he was trying to jam into his mind. "It won't have naught to do with a lost city or a lost treasure, do it ?" He asked, slowly. He had sold that treasure-map to the odd woman, the one that looked a bit wrong, months ago. "Someone asked me about the shadows, and Redlon, he mentioned the dark times are coming back, and Maranda's fair worried. If there's trouble, I'm taking her across the water as fast as I can row."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Lost city or treasure?" the cook blinked and shook her head, face a blank of puzzlement. "Not that I know of. Seems ta be more about who's goin' ta control things with the king dead," she added, reaching out to pat Dorian's arm.

"Yer a good man Dorian and I've no doubt ye'll take good care of Maranda," she smiled. "But I'm not sure goin' across the lake'll help should it be the gods of the dark behind all this. Gods can go anywhere they like. Still, I suppose you'd be less likely ta be worried by them if ya weren't in a city with lots of folks. Don't suppose they bother with a few folks. As fer Redlon and the rest, hard ta know what's the truth Dorian. Folks are scared and scared folk look fer answers, any answers. What they come up with most often isn't the truth even if it's a version of the truth." The woman paused a moment, thinking.

"Ya might ask the priests. They'd know about any darkness I'm thinkin'. Don't know how much they'd share with just anyone though. Don't know if a mage would help and don't know how many o' those we have in the city," she shook her head then smiled and looked around.

"What d'ya think of the new tavern?" she motioned to the nearly finished commons area. "Folks have been very good ta Grant, helpin' him ta rebuild. It's been inspirin' and you watch, the rest o' the city'll rebuild too. Things'll be back ta some sort of normal b'fore we know it," she looked back at Dorian.

"You tell Maranda not ta get all caught up with what folks say. Most o' them don't know anything, just afraid and lettin' their thoughts run away with em'," she smiled and took a drink of her tea.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian was still puzzled by the darkness. It seemed tenuous to him, like a cloud. He'd have to talk to the priests in the church, too, perhaps they'd speak to him, he had sold them enough lobsters lately. He didn't have much truck with priests apart from that, only if he needed something read to him. Worship took time away from Fishing, and that was something a Drake could not abide.

"It looks grand," said Dorian, of the tavern. Since he lived in a tiny shack, it was indeed so. He paused to remember Dora's words exactly, to tell Maranda later. He himself wasn't worried about the darkness, because he didn't waste effort worrying about things he didn't understand. He got back to safer topics that he understood.

"There's more meat coming," he said. "I have my share for Maranda and me, and a barrel of oil for her to see by this winter. We'll not be hungry. That means all else I catch I can sell or bring here, for I know that Grant has to make every penny count and get this place rebuilt. I'm willing to wait for money from him, on account that you are here, Aunt Dora." He paused. "And there will be more meat, given to those who need it, the smokehouses are full up too. I need to borrow a wheelbarrow though."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Yer a good man Doran," the cook beamed a smile. "Told that ta Maranda's ma before she died. Told her things looked promisin' and that you'd be good ta her. Put her heart at ease," she patted his hand and nodded as he told about the extra meat and bringing fish to the tavern.

"I'm sure Grant'll appreciate it. We're doin' okay by things, but it's tight what with so many out of house and home and jobs," she shook her head and sighed.

"Even if it's not the stuff o' darkness, times are hard," she said quietly before squaring her shoulders and sitting up.

"Nuff o' that," she smiled again. "More tea?" she asked as she reached for the teapot on the table and poured.

"Now, yer needin' a lamp? Did ya want one that hangs on the wall or sets on a table Dorian? I'm thinkin' your house bein' small as it is, perhaps a wall hanger'd be best? Lemme see what's in the back," she stood and disappeared behind one of the few doors in the place, returning a moment later with a lamp designed to hand on the wall, its glass all blackened with soot and smoke.

"One the fire didn't melt," she grinned and handed it to the young man. Wasn't much still standin'..." and she stopped as her voice tightened up with emotion. Wiping her eyes, she put the smile back on her face.

"Wheelbarrow," she mused. "I'm sure there's one to be had somewhere. Wouldn't it be easier ta use a horse n' cart though? You'd be able ta carry more. Where are ya takin' it to?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian blushed at the praise, and admired the lamp. "It looks a fine one. When she's had her pick of one from the marketplace, I'll bring it back, cleaned up, but if you could please give me a rag to wrap it in, I'll feel the better for carrying it home. You know I'm not good on land." he said. His times were looking well enough; there was meat, and there was work, and there was Maranda, so he was essentially happier than he had been since Old Nate passed on. Dorian looked to a simple life, and was not disappointed in that. He noted the tears, and waited quietly until she had gotten her composure back. Things were tough, that was for sure, but that was life, it was always changing. He had learned from Old Drake that being sour over loss wasn't going to put you back on your feet, but hard work would.

"I don't know aught about horse and carts, except that riding in one makes me sick. I thought to take the meat to the market square and give it to those who need it. Do any come begging here for food ? Maybe I should bring part of the load here. And Grant can pay me later, if he's in need of fish. If he's wanting to loan out his cart, he can take it to the docks so I can load it, and he can manage the horse, that'll be a help to me. There's bones left, heavy, but full of marrow, worth stewing. Take a hammer or axe to them, chop 'em and boil them, makes a fine broth."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Nodding, the cook stood and moved over to some temporary shelving and pulled out a towsack.

"Use this lamp long as ya need Dorian," she reassured him. "We'll not be needin' it any time soon as I see it." Taking the lamp back, she placed it into the sack and wrapped it around the glass creating several layers of cushion.

"As fer the barrow, yer welcome ta use the one here if ye'd rather. Not sure about help with the horse. Grant's pretty busy these days with the rebuildin' and all. Walls and all have ta be up b'fore the damp cool season rolls in." She pulled a length of string out of the end of the sack and used it to tie around the lamp, securing the whole before handing it back to the fisherman.

"I'm sure Maranda could handle the horse though. They had a horse til her ma got sick," and wiping her hands on the food stained apron, the round woman sat down again smiling at Dorian.

"As fer folks beggin' food, that's much the same as it always was. A bit worse p'haps but folks still hang around whatever's tossed out on the street. Lotta folks get help at the church. You go givin' free food away on the market street, ye'll make a bunch o' folks unhappy. There's those what's made a fortune sellin' their wares at prices only the rich could afford," she complained, her face a picture of what she thought of them.

"Thieves! Ta take advantage of folks hard times ta make themselves rich is just stealin'," she shook her head.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I'll sort out something," said Dorian. "Maybe I'll borrow the barrow tonight, if you've no use for it, and bring it back on the morrow." He reflected on the merchants, taking advantage of the times and raising their prices. He rarely bothered with the market anymore, preferring to sell his fish to certain custom, delivering it himself. But he did have an idea. It took the rest of the cup of tea, as his ideas came along very slowly. Dora had no doubt figured out by now that while Dorian might be kind, and good-hearted, and devoted to Maranda, he was not the swiftest when it came to thinking.

"I have an idea." He said after the long contemplative silence. "I'll give the fish away, and tell those I give it to, that they should come here and help Grant work on the inn. Fair trade, no fairer than that, eh ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Smiling, the cook nodded her head. "Of course yer welcome ta use the wheelbarrow if ye'd rather. We'd not miss it for a day and the idea of askin' folks ta come help Grant is kind of ya Dorian. We certainly could use the help though things'r comin' along very well all things considered," she chuckled looking around her.

"S'been amazin' the folks that's come ta help the old codger," she grinned and looked at the fisherman's cup.

"More tea?" she reached her hand for his cup and without pausing, went on.

"D'ya know if Maranda got the job with Marta? Before all this, Marta was lookin' fer help. Didn't know if that still stood now," she shook her head as she refreshed her own cup and Dorians.

"You'll remember ta tell her ta come see me soon?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Aye, she's doing sewing for Marta," said Dorian, "That's why I want the lamp for her, the firelight isn't bright enough. I'll tell her ta come by ta see you. What with the muc-an-sgadain, it's been a bit busy," the last said apologetically.

"I'll take the barrow, and I'll bring it back tomorrow. Mayhap Grant will see some benefit of it. That's what I'm hoping, anyhows." He nodded, finishing the tea and struggling to suppress a yawn. This time of night usually saw Dorian settling in for bed, for dawn still came early. "I'd better get back ta Maranda, Aunt Dora. I'll tell her you asked about her, too."

He rose, carefully, and made polite farewells. It was time to go home. It would be slow progress, but he wanted to be cautious about the lamp, and so would take his time.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dora hugged the fisherman and took him out to fetch a wheelbarrow. Lantern nestled carefully in the bottom of the cart, the trip home was bumpy as the single front wooden wheel clattered over the cobblestones, quieting down and becoming much more easy to handle as he took to the dirt side roads.

As he reached the beach, the sound of Maranda yelling at someone floated out on the inland wind. A male voice said something and laughed, a laugh that was suddenly cut short. The door of the shack was open and Maranda stood there with a heavy skillet in her hand, a scruffing looking man collapsed at her feet moaning.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian set the cart down and moved as fast as he dared toward the shack, a slow jog that hopefully would not send him flat on his face. His fists were instantly balled up and he was seeing red. And, as was his wont, he barked, a warning sound common to Selkies but a strange exclamation of sound for a Man.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dropping the skillet, Maranda ran to her husband and threw her arms around his neck.

"Oh Dorian," she cried. "There was noise at the door and I thought it was you with yer hands full and opened it. He was drunk," she broke off with a shudder.

"He wouldn't leave. Kept callin' me Violet," she turned and glanced at him as he began to stir, groaning louder now.

"Whadya do tha fer Vio'et" he slurred slowly as he caught sight of the fisherman.

"Hey, who'r you an whatcha doin' wi Violet," he struggled to sit up.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"I'll take care a' him." said Dorian grimly. "Stay here." He set Maranda down, seized the drunk by the collar and hauled him to the end of the pier, pausing only to pound the man if he got difficult en route.

And threw him into the water.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Pretty much unconscious, the drunk gave no resistence though the cool water seemed to bring him round, spouting curses at Dorian for trying to drownd him.

Back at the shack Maranda stood in the doorway, arms wrapped about herself as if she was cold, wet streaks down her cheeks. As Dorian drew near, she ran to him throwing her arms around his neck.

"I'm so glad ya came home Dorian," she hugged herself to him tightly. "I didn't know what ta do and he wouldn't listen," she sighed and loosened her stranglehold on her husband.

"He won't come back will he?" she asked, looking down the shore where the man had been dumped in the lake.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"If he comes back he'll see more than just water," said Dorian, glaring in the direction of the sputtering man. Then he remembered. "The barrow. I borrowed it...there's a lantern from Aunt Dora. She wishes you well and asks to be remembered to you."

He took Maranda with him to fetch it, and wheeled it behind the shack to hide it for the night. "She's worried about the inn, if they'll get it done before the cold comes," he said. "So when I take the meat to town, I will ask that those who get some go there to help build."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Glad to hear news of aunt Dora, Maranda smiled and released her husband, staying close as they moved towards the wheelbarrow. Only a few steps out of the house they were intercepted by a thin pale woman. Shorter than the blonde by a head, the woman’s clothing had seen better days, her long dark hair was uncombed and dirty and her large child like eyes somber.

“Sorry sirrah,” she offered hurriedly. “Since the house burnt, he’s been like this. Didn’t mean nothin’ by it though ma’am,” she looked up at the blonde.

“He’d not hurt a fly, really! Just confused he is and I’ll settle us somewhere else so’s he don’t bother you no more,” and she turned quickly, heading to the man who had rolled out of the water and lay sprawled out on the sand. Maranda squeezed her husband’s arm gently.

“How awful,” she whispered so the woman could not hear. “How glad I am not ta be livin’ in the city proper,” she shook her head. “There’s leftover soup…” she looked up at Dorian questioningly.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Nothing's free," said Dorian, sounded exactly like Old Nate Drake. He then looked down at Maranda, gave a nod. He could not let people starve on his doorstep, so to speak.

"Missus," he turned toward the woman, raising his voice to be heard. "You'll want a meal against the chill tonight. We have some food, and some more tomorrow, but your man will push a barrow into town with me, and do some chores as need doing, for repayment. And if he tries to harm my wife again, there is nothing that will keep me from his heart's blood." Dorian's lips peeled back to show his teeth, another threat gesture common to his kind and less so for Men. "You can shelter on the shore, by those rocks there, the wind will not reach you."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Even in the dusky evening light, the awkward behavior of the girl was hard to miss as would have been the embarrassed flush of her cheeks.

"Not missus sirrah," she mumbled softly. "He's my papa and's a good man. Fire was hard on..." her voice dropped to the softest whisper and cracked with emotion before she stopped and pulled herself back together.

"Thank ya for the eats. Don't think papa will be up ta eatin' but I'm powerful hungry. I'll try ta make sure he's awake in the morrow and tell him how ya helped," she offered. Maranda had untangled herself from Dorian and headed back inside, returning shortly with a bowl of soup for the girl.

"Here," she said softly as she handed it to her. "Do ya have a blanket child?" The dark haired waif shook her head and began greedily drinking down the soup while the blonde headed back inside the house to return with a dark wool blanket. It didn't take long and she was finished, handing the bowl back to Maranda with a small smile and thanks.

Trailing down the beach towards her father, the girl tugged at the man still sprawled in the sand in an attempt to drag him up to some shelter. The blonde slipped her arm around her husband's waist and hugged gently.

"Have I told ya today what a lucky woman I am ta have you?" she smiled and sighed looking back at the child with her father.

"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”