A Faraway Shore

Moderator: Mods

Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Nilufar was not a girl who liked to rough it in the wilderness, and she was on the verge of a quite spectacular tantrum when she began to feel the anger ebbing away and being replaced with a disconcerting if not entirely unpleasant sensation of giddiness.

As she listened, feeling quite acutely dizzy, to Nebhotep speak, she was more fixated on the path they had just traveled -- or, more precisely, its effect on her wardrobe. "What if... what if BUGS crawled on me when I wasn't looking?" she whimpered, inspecting the delicate fabric of her blouse carefully.

Her eyes widened, then narrowed, as she observed the state of her clothing, which had a few miniscule tears and snags from the thorns as they passed. "'s RUINED," she exclaimed, finding it difficult to enunciate correctly. "Ruined, ruined, ruined, and it's hot, and there are bugs, and this water smells putrid, and my CLOTHES are RUINED!"

Each exclamation was punctuated with the removal of an article of clothing, starting with the scarf from around her head. When the clothes lay in a heap on the ground, she stomped on them furiously with one tiny foot, an act which made her feel better though it made her lose her balance slightly. She staggered a little, smeared one hand across her face quite inelegantly as she wondered why everything else was still moving, and walked over to Nebhotep.

"My bag, if you please," she said imperiously, a tone whose effect was somewhat lessened by the fact that she was swaying slightly, to say nothing of the fact that she was quite stark naked.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Nebhotep's euphoria at the timely discovery of the rather foetid lake was quickly forgotten to Nilufar's tirade. While influenced by the rather welcome affects of the spore, he was unable to hide his grin at her whining tantrum, a response he found both humorous as well as regretful. He considered her carefully, trying to focus upon something he might say to ease her unhappiness...

Breasts.

Once a man of rather considerable standards, Nebhotep had run out of integrity long before the swanmaiden's angry disrobing. In his rather diminished state, his eyes remained upon her breasts, his head nodding slightly as she stomped to follow their rhythmic response to her actions as if he were in an almost hypnotic trance.

While his mind was incapable of logic, it was most certainly not incapable of imagination. He was instantly and immediately overcome by the image of her straddling him in a field of purple flowers, recklessly copulating with him as her face twisted in ecstasy and her breasts floated as they did just now. Panting and struggled with his mass, she cried out to him "My bag, if you please! MY BAG..."

Blinking rapidly, Nebhotep recovered from his trance long enough to let her bag fall from his shoulder to his hand such that he could hold it out to her absently. He did not notice or concern himself with his erection this time, for his mind was occupied with trying to remember why they were here, and what he had hoped to accomplish in coming. Averting his eyes from the lady's nakedness, he tried to focus upon something or anything else.

"We...must not remain long. There is...something amiss in these fields. We were...seeking something..." he muttered to his two companions, staring at a tree growing near the lake such that it might distract his lecherous mind. Despite his best attempts, another vision came crashing home, one in which Nilufar leaned with her hands against that very tree and his own dark form was crouched against her back...
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Nilufar, quite unconsciously, of course, took her time finding what she needed in her bag, a process which seemed to require much pretty pouting and tossing of hair.

But soon enough she had tugged out her mantle of feathers and swung it around her bare shoulders, and transformed herself into a swan, though it seemed to take a little longer this time.

She then set out on a somewhat wobbly course to the center of the lake to see if the water was any cleaner in the center than it was on the fringes.
Orric

Post by Orric »

"Hey!" Orric stumbled, for every step he took forward he would take one back and then one to the side. "Yer naked!" For some reason that fact suprised him not at all at this very moment as he watched Nilufar leave her clothing in a heap on the path made possible by Neb.

While the giant was fixated by the woman's breasts, Orric had had the pleasure of a whole different perspective due to his shorter stature. "You do know yer naked..right? 'Cause..well...I can see your bum!"

Nilufar had reached into her bag for something, it was at that point Orric thought of something. "You dont have any clothes on!" he stumbled forward. "Lemme pick those up for ya." leaning over he starts to pick up the discarded garments, but forgets to stop moving and soon finds himself falling over as he reaches between his legs to pick something up.

"I cant see! Im blind!!" he screamed, the sudden darkness was horrible! "Oh...wait, I was wearing your...oh my..." Orric looked around. "Hey!...where did she go?"
Last edited by Orric on Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Nebhotep was lost in his world of lust, so deeply drained that he did not hear the dwarf's helpful insights regarding the situation. Down went Nilufar to dig through her bag, her body bend down in such away to invite new images into his head, visions that had him behind her, reaching around to clutch at one of her wrestless breasts. Cocking his head to one side, his mouth forming an O of astonishment and longing, he began to reach out to her just before she became...

A goose.

Most images require a few moments to fully clear from the minds they infect, but for Nebhotep, the sudden change into the water fowl terminated his fantasy in a flash of clear astonishment. Even the haze of the poppies around him could not dent the amazement he had, for while he had seen this trick once before, he did not believe his memory, and he could not become accustomed to such a thing.

In the very brief flickers of lucid thought that her actions gave him, he considered her actions with some logic. She has requested the mantle of feathers both times she has changed. She must require it, and she must value it greatly... he thought, imagining how grateful she would be if Nebhotep protected it for her and insured it's safety, a silly dream from a hopelessly dominated man.

Drawn from his thoughts by the little man, Nebhotep smiled and staggered a bit as the lucid moment faded. "She has gone into the water. She must have her bath. Do you see her there? She is the goose that floats upon it's surface, light as a cloud..." he said, a hint of a giggle in his massive, deep voice.
Orric

Post by Orric »

Twice now that thick headed numbskull has tried to talk Orric into believing that some swan was actually Nilufar in disguise. Well he didnt buy into the first time and as giddy and...whatever it was that he felt now he STILL wasnt gonna fall for it.

"Now listen here!" Orric pointed a finger in Neb's general direction but quickly drew it back when he caught sight of Nilufar's 'dainties' that he had recently picked up and stuffed in his pocket.

"Hold on...gimme a flicker..." Orric grumbled and staggered to his feet and looked at Nebhotep... both of him. A rapid succession of blinks and a rubbing of his eyes later there were now three, "Bloody boulders! We're being invaded! Run for your lives!" throwing his hands up in the air and screaming like a little girl he lunges for the lake and sinks like a rock away from the amassing army of stupidity, as if one of those things wasnt bad enough!
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

"eh-HAHAHAhahaha!" bellowed Neb, laughing at the little man's antics as he staggered his way into the stagnant waters of the lake. He knew the dwarf was amusing, but this was far beyond anything he had seen before, what with the dwarf charging headlong into the water with his clothes and his gear still upon his short, sturdy frame. "eHeh...eHeh..." he continued, his mirthful face watching the bubbles rise to the surface of the pool with fading euphoria. Perhaps he should be rising now. Yes...anytime...

And yet, no dwarf. Somewhere in the midst of his drug-fogged mind, Nebhotep sensed a problem. He had been a shepherd for many, many yahren, and when one of his flock had some difficulty with ponds or ditches, he was well equipped to manage the situation. Staggering forward, the giant reached into the lake with his massive shepherds hook to recover the lost dwarf, his face still touched by mirth.
Orric

Post by Orric »

What Nebhotep gathered in his massive paw was indeed a dwarf and as he was pulled from the water the sight of him was rather comical. Drenched from head to toe, he certainly looked miserable as his beard and hair were matted against his face and body. With arms crossed against his chest he gave Neb a look that might possibly chill a man to the bone.

This was broken by a small stream of water that soon squirted from his lips and up against the half-giants chest. "Do ya think ya could have taken just a wee bit longer!?" he started to cough and sputter and as he uncrossed his arms he smacked Nebhotep across the cheek with a fish he had been hiding. "Now get me down man!"

Post by Guest »

The water was much cleaner in the center of the lake- almost crystalline pure, in fact. Nilufar could see her reflection within the water- shimmering and beautiful, in stark contrast to the murkiness of the edge waters. It was as if a perfectly circular swath had been cut from the dirty water, and replaced with water as clean as sparkling and fresh and as pure as spring rain. Of course, the delusion may have been driven by her specific... state of mind... or perhaps her thirst... but then, it might have been as pure as she saw.

Beneath the surface, a fish stirred as she passed- an indication of something important, if only Nilufar could remember what.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

To be able to spread her wings and fly after the hot trek through the dense forest felt absolutely blissful, and did much to improve Nilufar's mood.

Not as much, however, as seeing the clear water at the center of the lake. It was beautiful: clear cool water, made even more beautiful still by the presence of her own reflection in it. Perhaps she should have wondered if she should be more careful -- perhaps she should have given more thought to whatever it was that was clouding her mind or was going on with the fish beneath her. But water was water and she desperately wanted it, all other considerations be damned, so with a graceful fluttering of her wings that stirred the water beneath her she settled down into the water, still in swan form, and prepared to make the standard ablutions.

Post by Guest »

Something stirred in the water beneath Nilufar- something sleek and smooth, detectable only by the slightest wave of ripples passing around the swan's settled form. The smooth water suddenly rolled almost imperceptibly, a gradual rise and fall that indicated the passage of something deep beneath the surface. Despite the clarity of the water in the center of the lake- rivalling that of the white sand beaches of Amun Rah- the swanmaiden could not see what it was that moved beneath her.

The water was calm again, suddenly- but there was a flash of something within- a thin tail, perhaps, reflecting the light cast upon scaled skin. The tail retreated in the direction Nilufar had just came from- toward Orric and Nebhotep. The light splashes of the dwarf could be heard, accompanied by raucous laughter.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

"Bwa Ha Ha ha ha! You are most wet, my friend!" bellowed Nebhotep, as he lifted the dwarf from the water easily with his shepherd's hook. The sight of the soggy dwarf did little to slow the giant's mirth, and his earth-shaking bellows began anew even as he swung the little man back over the earth and deposited him among the poppies with negligent strength.

"Hahaha! Perhaps we might find for you a towel. Or perhaps we find for you five towels, my friend. Hahaha! Now perhaps I might fill wat bottles and gourds we have with this water such that we may...Pan's Blood! Look to the sky, there! The cloud that wanders thus...does it not remind you of a dog? Do you not see it? That one there..."

His mind still scattered from the pleasant narcotics, Nebhotep noticed very little of what transpired around him as he stood tall, just within the large lake such that his feet and shins were under the surface. To make matters worse, he recently discovered how very recognizable many of the clouds in the sky truly were, and his eyes remained skyward to track their movements, a perfectly reasonable use of his time while under the influence of the insidious, purple flowers.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

Oh, water. Clean, sparkling, cool water... Nilufar settled into it with as much of a sigh as she could muster in her swan form, noticing only late and in a haze the flickering of light on something large and scaled's tail. <i>Strange fish they have in these parts,</i> she thought to herself, her head feeling fuzzy and vague. Well, fuzzier and vaguer than usual, that was.

With a contented snaking of her long neck, Nilufar began to splash about and ruffle her feathers, getting the salt and sand and heat off, focused only on how wonderful the water felt and how wonderful she would look once she was done.

Post by Guest »

The water behind the half-giant rippled suddenly, and Nebhotep's reverie was broken by sudden sound. The sound of water splashing in every direction filling the previously calm air. The splashing sound was followed by several loud screeches as hundreds of small birds flew upward from the trees upon the lakeshore, heading further into the jungle.

Amidst the sudden cacophony, a large head emerged from the murky water, its head easily larger than Nebhotep's entire body, its jaws snapping viciously, as if to devour the large man whole. Fortunately (or unfortunately, from the would-be-devourer's point of view), the creature's fin got stuck on a large stick thrusting upward from the edge of the lake- a remnant of some old tree, perhaps. The impact deflected the thing's head to the side, and instead of biting Nebhotep, it merely throw him- further into the water, of course.

The creature's head was wide, it's mouth seeming disproportionately large, nearly taking up the entire breadth and heighth- and filled with any of a number of sharply pointed, needle like teeth. The jaws seem extremely strong, although they are set loosely, due to their size occupying about half of the thing's skull. The widely jawed thing's skin is a dark grey-blue, and scaleless. The body thins considerably from the wide head, narrowing and narrowing, and ending with a wicked looking thresher upon its tail- the silver of the taper standing in stark contrast to the darkness of the skin. The eyes glimmer like tiny points of black diamond, moving independently of one another, searching for likely prey.

The delay isn't long, however, and it immediately turns toward the half-giant, the tail spinning toward the coast and nearly striking Orric neatly in the face, sending him flying into a distant tree. Meanwhile, its eyes scan the water- apparently confused by the massively oscillating waves- and one thing is made clear to Nebhotep.

The behemoth's primary sense is visual... and it seems somehow dependent upon motion. After all, the creature is only feet away, and yet it makes no move toward him.

Nilufar, distant in the center of the lake, is suddenly tossed aside, as a wave after massive wave rolls across the body of water- and the swan's beautiful preening is suddenly undone in a splash of water- her feathers losing their gloss and smoothness. The roar follows only moments after- and then the swanmaiden is in the air, upside down above the lake- and falling toward the surface.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

...and that one looks like a camel...and that one a tent...and that one looks like a cloud...wait. A cloud? but it IS a cloud... "Hehehe! Orric, I have a joke. What does that cloud there look like to you?" he asked, the narcotics making his impending joke seem strangely funny all of the sudden.

Thwap!

Water. Sputtering and flailing about, Nebhotep was dazed from the strike. He flailed his arms and his hook around wildly, for he was unable to swim in any fashion and the water threatened to invade his lungs at any moment. Fortunately, the sudden immersion returned his wits to him enough such that he understood his situation.

I will drown! I cannot swim... he thought frantically, watching the creature approach. But his feral, berserker mind already had a plan. I need not drown if it will swim for me...

Allowing his bulk to drift in the water, Nebhotep took his long shepherd's crook to his knee and broke it, discarding the shorter piece and keeping the longer one with one end jagged from the break. He held the 'spear' away from his body towards the beast such that he might wedge it into the creature's mouth as it struck, a desperate gamble that would take him into that great maw and either impale the creature's brain (should it have one) or leave him as a tasty meal for the beast's enjoyment.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

<i>Well, of all the ne...</i> Nilufar thought indignantly as she plunged anew into the water. She spluttered, surfaced, shook her feathers off and finished preening, her neck hurting after the sudden off-kilter fall.

Feeling intensely sorry for herself, she took flight again and flew back to the shore in search of some sympathy, only to find the little dwarf asleep again and the half-giant floating in the water and playing with a big ugly fish.

Addled by the flowers and wrapped up in her own misery, it did not occur to Nilufar that perhaps what something with such impressive teeth would consider "playing" would be much fun for anything else.

She changed back into her human form and stood on the shore, wringing out her wet hair. "Stop playing with that stupid fish and come <i>help</i> me," she said, stomping her foot. "I fell in the water and hurt myself..." she pouted.
Orric

Post by Orric »

"Fish! Dinner!" the dwarf hopped up from the base of the tree that he found himself laying flat against and had his thick dwarven hide to thank for his surviving. Using whatever he could to gain some kind of foothold, Orric began to scurry up the tree.

After a number of flickers passed he found himself getting rather tired and stopped to take a break. Sitting down he ran his hands along the dirt and picked up a small rock and skipped it along the water.

"GAH!" it finally dawned on him that he hadnt climbed at all. Frustrated somewhat he gathers up a few small rocks for throwing, maybe he could distract their dinner long enough for the stupid giant to make some use out of himself.

With great...or not so great care, Orric threw stone after stone, "Dont just stand there woman! We've dinner to catch!"

Post by Guest »

The rocks thrown by Orric did not seem to cause any real damage to the creature- at least, the few that manage to actually strike the beast. However, the fish was distracted by them, its dark eyes looking once more toward the shore. The teeth gnashed viciously as the scrambling oculars tried to locate the source of the annoying projectiles. Without the rolling waves to distract it, it easily spots the dwarf- but does not immediately head for him. Instead, the teeth spread into what seemed to be a grin as the beast takes note of the swanmaiden drying herself off.

The creature turns then, quickly- the thresher tail slicing Nebhotep upon the leg as he treads water, a healthy flow of blood pouring from the wound, as the half-giant is flung underneath the water- his foot tangling easily within the curled roots upon the murky edges of the lake, binding him just enough that his lips cannot reach the fresh air above. The sudden pain, though- coupled with the adrenaline rushing through his veins (a response heightened by the purple flower pollen) served to clear the wooziness from his system somewhat- and Nebhotep suddenly felt clarity and reason re-enter his mind. A stream of blood rose past his face, diffusing into the shadowy liquid.

Nilufar, however- was not so fortunate, the beast's teeth gnash at her, the fetid breath rolling over her in a noxious cloud. In her obliviousness, the danger did not seem as iminent as it more than likely should have. It would have consumed the swanmaiden then and there, had an unusually well aimed rock stricken the beast directly in the eye- which promptly seemed to melt into a gelatinous mass, accompanied by a near-deafening scream of pain as the creature retreated back into the waves.

Something about the way it lingered- just off shore, a small fin on its back barely sticking out above the water- seemed to indicate it wasn't giving up so easily. The creature moved its head from side to side beneath the waves, as if searching for something important... and it was slowly drawing closer to where Nebhotep was- his foot caught in the large loop of an underwater root.
Orric

Post by Orric »

All Orric could think of was that their dinner was getting away from them! As happy as he was that the pretty lady wasnt hurt, Orric was more interested in eating that with her distress. Before the creature could get to far Orric threw himself bodily at the fish, trying to climb onto its back and wear it out...

Maybe I should have bought a knife was the last thought he had before either landing on the creature or in the water, whichever it happened to be.
Last edited by Orric on Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

Nebhotep was frustrated. He was lucid, and he was sharp of mind, but he was frustrated all the same. He seemed to be choosing between a grisly death in the teeth of the massive fish, or a choking death in the foul waters of the lake. He still had his broken staff, though, and with this he might at least fend off the fish...at least until his air ran out.

With his cheeks ballooned out and his broken shepherd's staff in one hand, Nebhotep reached down and unfouled his foot, yanking at the roots and vines that held him with his adrenaline-filled muscles. He knew the creature would be coming for him, but this was the best decision he could imagine: dieing in combat instead of filling his lungs with water.

As soon as his foot came clear, he would kick off the bottom of the lake and watch the approaching beast, his staff ready with it's broken, jagged end to catch it in the mouth or eye when it finally came to finish him off. With the blessings of my ancestors, perhaps it will not outlive my would too long? Pan show me favor in this desperate hour.
Melisendre

Post by Melisendre »

The young Halfling was quite happily surprised to find the battle to salvage what belongings she’d brought with her from Brie had been won. The greatest shock of all was that she did not sink like a rock when the ship wrecked. How that did not happen, Melisendre couldn’t say. However, now the load was cumbersome, and all too heavy, not to mention the discomfort caused by a quiver filled with arrows squished against her back, the way the cook pot tied to her pack swung ‘round to smack her in the side, the occasional slipping down of the short bow from her shoulder, and the fishing rod (currently being used as a walking stick) kept getting caught by the underbrush. It was more than enough already! Yet, those irritations had begun to fade as she followed in the wake of the trio, far enough behind that she did not see them, only heard them.

Oddly, she was feeling light-headed, and an eerie little grin had crept into place where a grimace once was. Melisendre found herself snickering as she thought of how sneaky she was, not that her footfalls were at all silent in her state. Making feeble attempts to be quiet, and not to misstep, the Halfling figured that it couldn’t possibly matter if she did, the group ahead of her were making so much noise that they would never notice her stalking far behind them.

It wasn’t too long before she also came across the murky lake, although by the time the youngling reached the edge of the wood, the woman had disappeared and the very giant man was making quite a scene with the very small man, or she assumed that the dwarf was male, it was so hard to tell sometimes. Suddenly a white shape out on the lake caught her eyes, and Melisendre could have cursed those blasted fools, they were making so much noise! Dislodging herself from the heavy backpack, and throwing the fishing pole next to it, the Halfling struggled to withdraw an arrow from the quiver, hoping the morons didn’t frighten supper away.

Holding the arrow within both her hands once she’d worked it free, it was one of them real pointy ones, Melisendre stared at it helplessly, she was missing something. I need to... You need... Uh.. Right! Another flicker or two passed before the girl even moved, and then she blinked, yet another flicker passed. Oh right, yes! Sliding the bow from her shoulder, finally remembering what it was she needed in order to send the arrow flying, the Halfling was greeted with a new obstacle. Focusing her attention and steadying her hands long enough to slide the arrow into place proved to be much more difficult than usual.

By the time she’d managed the arrow into place on the bow and looked up, Melisendre’s eyes were greeted with the most horrific sight ever! The bird was gone, and everyone was splashing around with the largest fish she’d ever seen. ...Fish! Her mouth began to salivate, recalling the taste of fried fish. Licking her lips and she trundled toward the lakeshore, Melisendre raised her the bow to take aim for the creature’s large head. Pulling back the string, stretching so taut that her arms began to tremble with the effort, and then released, her eyes growing wide with anticipation.

This was the strangest fishing trip she’d ever been on.
Last edited by Melisendre on Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nilufar Simin

Post by Nilufar Simin »

"Oh, eeeeeew," Nilufar said vehemently as the beast's fetid breath rolled over her. She was more concerned by the stench than by the teeth, but was nonetheless grateful when it left.

She shot Orric a venomous look. "First, I'll thank you not to call me 'woman.' You may call me 'Nilufar Simin,' or 'Nilufar,' or 'milady.' And second, there is no WAY I am going to either consider eating such a foul creature or to ... help you do whatever it is you're doing," she huffed, then straightened her newly-donned clothes and applied some perfume. It was a good thing the vial had survived, cushioned by her clothes! Otherwise she would have been left without perfume, and that would just have made this even more of a savage trip than it already was.

Inhaling the rich, watery scent of her lotus flower perfume, Nilufar kohled her eyes carefully, and pointedly ignored everything else that was going on.

A strange shout disrupted her and very nearly made her smudge her eye makeup. She glared as some stumpy little creature popped out from the underbrush. Really, it was quite infuriating! Nilufar stood up and looked around for the half-giant; she was done with her toilette and wanted to leave, and someone had to carry her bag for her!

She turned to ask the dwarf where he had gotten to when she saw him flinging himself at the stinky creature. "I'm ready to GO now," she bellowed at him, stomping her foot impatiently, a motion which made her sore neck twinge again. "Nebhotep!" she called plaintively. "Where ARE you? My neck hurts and I want to leave and the dwarf won't LISTEN to me!" As for the strange stumpy woman, Nilufar felt certain -- or at least hopeful -- that if she just ignored it it would go away.

Post by Guest »

The beast considered its slow forward progress toward Nebhotep, the dorsal fin on its back looming larger and larger as the water around it decreased in depth. The manner in which the creature moved was not so different from a dog who has just picked up a faint scent- in this case, Nebhoteps blood- and is slowly drawing closer to the source of said sound. The creature's motions were oddly lopsided, however- it leaned heavily toward the side with the broken eye, as if the loss of vision had somehow damaged its sense of balance. As it moved, a soft creaking sound came from its mouth- echoing oddly through the water- the thing was clearly in pain, but it was not giving up. Either the beast was very resolute, or very very stupid.

Just as the creature passed close enough that Nebhotep could see the sharp teeth looming in the shadows of the lake, the half-giant could feel his foot slide itself loose, and his mouth broke the surface- blessed air rushing into his lungs. At approximately the same time, Orric's leap of faith broke the water nearly directly behind the creature- and the sudden oscillation made the creature waver, its remaining good eye rolling back into its head as its jaws made snapping motions- neatly breaking Nebhotep's sharpened stake in half, accompanied by a loud snap- this one not emanating from the crook, but from Nebhotep's own arm- before the head whirled toward the shore. The creature's head was now fully above the water, the thresher like tail flapping with the rapidity of a mouse's heartbeat. Blood flashed suddenly in the murky lake. The jaws of the thing opened wide, as if to close harshly over the Amun-Rah shepherd. The half-giant's arm stuck out at an extremely odd angle, the bone seeming impossibly near to the surface near the elbow. Pain blanked Nebhotep's mind as the jaws moved to close over him...

A soft thwang rang out, loud and unquestionable. For a moment- time seemed to stand still.

Another roar began, ringing out from the beast- as if the collective throats of an entire army had suddenly opened and were then silenced. There was a soft gurgling sound- and the beast's maw opened once more- revealing the long shaft sticking neatly from the rear of the thing's throat- set deep within the lining of the mouth. There came a snapping sound- as of a bottle of wine newly opened, and the creature fell into the water once more. Another thwanging sound, muffled slightly, and the beast retreated further into the murky water... and then further still. A trail of bubbles and blood followed its wake- and the soft thwanging sound repeated time after time.

Everything was still, and then there came an involuntary moan from the lakeshore. There was Orric, his body completely coated in water- but that what first caught one's eye.

His body was lacerated almost completely open- down the chest to just above the stomach. His lower right leg and entire left arm were a mangled mass of flesh. His face was barely recognizable- slices ran laterally down his cheeks- a larger one running horizontally across his face. Blood flowed freely into the shadowy water about him- the flow slowing gradually. A gurgle of blood popped from his mouth- and then his breath came, quavering into the small lungs.

The air was still- not even a bird called in the tranquility. A lazy wave lapped at Orric's face, and then, at last- a single tittering note quavered from the forest.
Nebhotep

Post by Nebhotep »

The sudden, violent attack from the approaching monster easily bested what defenses Nebhotep could present immersed in so much water. His hook destroyed and his arm easily snapped, the young giant could not help but force out much of what fresh air he had gained just before the creature arrived. His teeth clenched and his body alive with pain, he merely drifted away, already cradling his abused limb to his body.

The following attack never came, however. He had expected the massive jaws of the beast to wrap around him and end this desperate struggle all at once, but that ending never came. Instead, he continued to drift, his head bobbing along the surface as his body remained inert. I live! By what blessings has this come to pass? he thought, looking around under the water to see nothing but an inky cloud of blood.

Despite this blessing, Nebhotep was still faced with a challenge. He was not a swimmer, for he had never needed to do so before, but how he must not only attempt as much, but he must do so with one arm. Leaning into the water carefully, the half-giant managed to remain calm as he moved his good arm out to sweep the water down and behind him, hopefully driving him towards the shore. He did not breathe, however, for such a risk was far too dangerous until it became absolutely critical.
Melisendre

Post by Melisendre »

Throwing her hand, and with it the bow, up into the air, Melisendre hooted victoriously, the arrow had found its mark. That rarely ever happened. All she needed was for the big man to pull it in. Turning suddenly to the all-too-dainty woman that had been babbling so fast that the Halfling never managed to catch a single word. In her own native tongue, the girl snapped. “Shut up and go help the oaf bring in the fish, I’ll get the frying pan!”

However, just as she was about to head back to the spot where she left her pack, something else caught the Halfling’s attention. It was the Dwarf, or at least a splayed open version of the short man. He didn’t look very well, not at all. It was definitely the worse she’d ever seen anyone. Jogging shortly over to the body, Melisendre knelt down and poked the bearded one. Staring down at the mess for a flicker or two in silence, the Halfling finally decided. “You’re a little scratched up.”

Squinting her eyes, Melisendre looked out toward the centre of the lake, the giant would be no help while he was taking a swim, and her loveliness would no doubt be too frightened of breaking a nail. Placing her hands on her hips, still with the bow in hand, the girl had few options. The lake beast was already forgotten, and now there was a new task to concentrate upon.

“No worries, I’ll stitch you up.” Rubbing her forehead, the Halfling wasn’t quite sure what to use, and her brain was still a little muddy. Perhaps that explained why she even cared to help the Dwarf, it was certainly not in her nature to lend a hand. Shaking her head, Melisendre amended her statement. “Well, maybe you should worry.”

It never occurred to the young Halfling that they wouldn’t understand a single word that she spoke, and yet she knew that she had barely comprehended what they were saying in their own languages. “Bring me my backpack, quickly!”

Return to “On the Water Archive”