The Chase (Draydis and Thrandil)

Moderator: Mods

Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"My friend? I don't know. I left him with the choice to join me, or do as Ele... I mean... Puddin Jane has told us, to be a free guardsman and go wherever we want. It'll hurt to see him leave, but I can not make him stay if he doesn't want to. As for my armor and all that, bundle them and tie it up this. Is there anything else you want me to know, before I board again?" Thrandil said, as he turned away from the captain, walking over to Spyer.

"Mr. Spyer!" he called for the half giant and handed him the bundle as he reached him.

Walking back to Ryelocke, he said "One more thing, sir... in private please..." as he looked at Spyer from the corner of his eyes. He brought his mouth to Ryelocke's ear (if he let's him) and whispered "Promise me, Sir, that I can have a one on one against Spyer on land if he touches Elevie. I have seen how he looks at her, and I will not let him take out his lusts on her.".
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Draydis quickly put on his gear, strapping the armor and weapons into place. He once again placed the ring of the Guard upon his finger and then picked up the sack and headed for the Captain. As he emerged from the woods, he found the captain and the others. He walked with pride and honor, once again standing fully upright and tall. "I know what I must do. I must return with word that Elevie is safe. Should this message not return with haste, more Guardsmen will be dispatched, and the Attica will eventually be found. I will make no mention of the Attica or her crew, as it is clear to me that you have made your choice freely to remain here, Elevie." He looked at the captain and removed one of the axes from his belt and held it by the head. "Captain, I appreciate the accomodations you have extended to Hunter and myself, and you have shown that you are a man of honor and of your word. It would be my honor to trade axes with you if you would like so we could both have a memory of the times when our paths crossed, and have a constant reminder of the significance and importance of our respective honors." He held the axe out for the captain to take.

Dray then looked to Thrandil. "My friend. I have never had a brother, and I consider you to be that to me. I must return and give word that Elevie is safe, and that she has chosen to remain away for the time being. I do not know what awaits me when I refuse to give her location, but I will not interfere with her own free will. I know you will remain here and make sure that I can say with certainty that she will remain safe." Dray removes one of the quivers from his leg and hands it to his friend. "I made this quiver with the assistance of my father. I would like you to have it as a token of our friendship and the bond that we share. You know more than anybody the significance I place on family, and I want you to have a constant reminder that you have a brother not only in arms but also in spirit. I am certain that our paths will cross again one day, but for now, they must split. I was born in the forest, and that is my home. The spirit of the woods calls to me, and on land is where I belong."

Dray's words to his friend come out with confidence and clarity, but there is a definite look of pain on his face.

He then looks at Elevie. "My lady, it is with honor that I serve you and your family. If it is your intention to remain here, I will not force you to leave. Though our mission was to return you, I will not interfere with your free will, as I would not want the same forced upon me." He briefly attempted a smile, but was unable to remove the sadness from his face. "If it is your will, I will deliver a message back indicating you are safe, and will return when you are ready, but no sooner. I will state that Hunter chose to remain behind with you to ensure your safety, and will also not give any indication of your location. Is this a sufficient message?"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Jane watches with some relief as Ryelock accepts the torque back and slips it into the saftey of his pocket. For some reason she had been half afraid he might disregard it altogether and toss it spinning into the waves of the Mer.

But he does not and so she gives Mr. Spyer a conspiritorial smile as if to say,

See? You didnt really think I was going, did you? and steps over to stand nearer to one of the torches in the cooling air. She watches Thran and Dray approach and hears what they have to say, her forehead furrowing slightly when Thrandil declares his intent to stay, as if she is not quite sure how she feels about it.

To Dray, however, she takes a step forward and bites her lip, saying in slight frustration,

"If I had a quill and a scrap of parchment! But- if you return first to Kings Court, it would be- I would consider it a great kindness if you should find my cousin Draesl and tell her all the truth of where I am and my circumstance. I will trust her with that, and no other."

She swallows and pauses before adding,

"For the rest, yes, tell them what you will. If I may say it, were I you, I should say that I was travelling- give them nothing specific, or they will press you for it. You must go first to the Queen, I know, but my parents in Hollowhaven will be glad of the news that I live. And should you go to the field, if you come by my brother Eareborn, tell him I commend your service and that our family owes you a debt. He is a good captain, I am told, and often in the wilds near le Bois Noir."

She steps suddenly forward and reaches out to catch Draydis' hand in her own, saying softly in elvish,

"My thanks to you, Draydis Quin. If Talloh does not give you the welcome you deserve for your service, then seek out my father in Hollowhaven or Eareborn in the wilds. They will see you rewarded as you should be."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray smiles at Elevie and her words. "I seek not reward for the duty I owe to my family. I lost a family once, and the Guard has become a new one for me. When my family needs help, I will be there to give the aid I can or die trying. It is my purpose in life to ensure the safety of others." With that, he searches the ground for a small stick. "Give me just a moment, my lady." Once he finds one, he picks it up and carefully sharpens an end to a point with one of his knives. He puts his knife away and returns to the side of Elevie. He then extracts one of the knives and scabbards from his pack and hands it to Elevie along with the stick.

With a quick motion of his knife, Dray opens a small wound on his forearm. He winces, but then looks at Elevie. "My lady, you now have your quill, ink, and parchment...I apologize for not being better equipped." He holds out his arm for her to take the 'ink' as necessary.

"I am honored to deliver your message as you wish, but I am sure that your family would like to read the same in the words created by your hand. I have two additional scabbards in my pack should you wish three different messages to be delivered. I will not stop until all your messages are delivered." He smiles and then nods towards Thrandil. "I simply ask you to make sure my brother remains well...it would be nice to know that somebody is around that cares for him as I do."

Dray again looks a bit sad, "I am torn on this decision, but I know somebody must get word back about you and your safety. Perhaps I will have the honor of defending our people against the Orcs once again by your brother's side. I have learned a lot in my time with the Guard, and could stand to learn a tremendous amount more in the presence of one such as him." Dray rattles the little pouch on his belt which contained the orc tusks he had collected during their first mission into le Bois Noir. "Maybe I will collect enough mementos to finish my necklace." A slight smile crossed the wood elf's face as he thought about returning to the front to fight the orcs, but then the memory of him and Thrandil standing back to back entered his mind, and tears began to form in his eyes. He looked to his friend once again. "I will miss you terribly, my brother."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The Captain seemed somewhat confused by Draydis' offer to exchange axes, but he pulled one of his own without a second thought. As a veteran of the seas, he had seen many cultures and many practices that, while unfamiliar to him, were honest enough in their intentions. The axe he gave to Draydis was typical of the kind carried on ships: a boarding axe, with a flat, straight top edge and a sharp point behind for use both with the rigging and with fighting.

Withdrawing with the Captain, Thrandil outlined his issues with Spyer very clearly. Ryelock glanced back at the massive, dark man, and only smiled. "Yer making enemies early, mate, ain't you? But don't worry. Spyer and Jane are mates, that's all. Friends. It was he what carried her free of Bart's ship, and it's he that sees to her doings. Now, you can watch 'em all you want, but remember this. If he crosses the line with Jane, I'll kill him myself. Fair enough?"

Thrandil and the Captain spoke while Elevie and Draydis exchanged farewells, but both pairs were interrupted by a young sailor charging up. Glancing around in the fading gloom, he spotted Ryelock and knuckled his forehead quickly. "Beggin' yer pardon, sar, but the waterin's complete."

"Very good. Bowse up the kegs and prepare to pull out," responded Ryelock, using a broad, booming voice that would carry through any kind of storm the Gods could make. Turning to the companions on the banks, Ryelock continued, though his weather voice was moderated to a more civil tone. "We're out of time. Farewell to you, Wolf. If you're ever in the mer again, look us up. Hunter, we'll take you back, introduce you to the men, and let you swear to them there so they'll know your heart for themselves. Let's go."

Ryelock stumped back to the boat, where two dozen pirates were beginning to collect to begin the short pull back to the waiting Attica, which waited out in the Mer like a ghost upon the water, no lights visible on her decks and no sails to be seen at all.
Elevie

Post by Elevie »

Elevie blinks at Dray's sudden offer and then takes up the makeshift quill and swiftly inscribes one sheath, making small quick strokes as she dips into the blood welling up from Dray's arm.

She holds out her hand for a second sheath and then writes a variation, all in characters unfamiliar to anyone there. Finishing the second, she signs it with a flourish and then presents both back to Dray with a nod, not answering his comment about looking after Thrandil.She says,

"The first is unsigned with my personal glyph- that one is for Draesl in Kings Court. She will know it comes from my hand. The second..." she pauses and a flicker of concern for the young guardsman passes over her face and then she says resolutely,

"That one is for the Queen in Taloh. It carries my personal glyph and both are encrypted in the royal code." Elevie pauses and then says softly in elvish,

"Fare well, my cousin. Swift travel and tall trees await you."

When the lad comes to tell them the barrels are ready, she turns and walks over the sand to the pinnace, climbing up the side and not coming back.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil took a step backwards and bit his lip. "Fair enough, sir." he replied.

As he listened Dray, his face didn't show any emotion. There was no sign of sadness, joy, or anything else to trace on it. As Dray held out his quiver, Thrandil took it and said "My belongings won't do any good to you, but I promise that one day you'll receive something in return... brother. Do as you must. Tell Theorn and Derron that I will miss their guidance and tell those that you tell about Elevie that I will stay by her side as a loyal guardsman until she chooses to return.".

He quickly took the knife Dray used to cut his arm and quickly Thran made a cut in the palm of his hand and extended it to Dray. "Leave a brother physically to go back to your new family, Draydis Quin d'Anorre, but never dare to leave him like a friend." he said.

Thrandil doesn't look back as he returns to the boat with the others, but as soon as he's in the boat, he looks back at Dray, saluting him. In Ancient Elvish, he quickly adds "Emerald Forever, my brother!".
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray takes the captain's axe and hangs it on his belt. "Thank you, sir. Good journey to you and your mates."

Once Elevie finishes her writing, Dray carefully wraps the scabbards into a bundle and places them in his backpack making sure they will travel well and not be damaged. "I will do exactly as you instruct, my lady." He bows and gives her a smile. "Trust that my mission will not fail."

He then replied to his friend. It was difficult to maintain his composure, so his words came out in short phrases separated with pauses to keep his emotions in check. "I gave you my quiver not for something in return, as I already have the memories of our time together. I just wish you the best on your journey and a quick return." He watches Thran as he cuts himself as well, and then understands what he was doing. Dray happily took his arm and allowed the blood of his arm to mix with the blood on Thran's palm. "We are now brothers joined in blood." A few moments later, he releases the grip and forces a smile. "Leave as I may, it was never only as a friend. I will deliver your messages only if you promise to take care of yourself." He watches as his friend returns to the boat, suddenly questioning his decision...~I hope I made the right choice.~

As Thran shouts out his farewell, Dray replies, "I'll be in le bois noir hunting orcs should you wish to rejoin me! May Mother bless all your journeys my brother!" The wood elf returns the salute, standing at attention. He replied back in ancient elven, "Elven fury!"

With that, Dray quickly binds the wound on his arm and grasps his bow in one hand, the bladed staff in the other. He was alone now, and he had to be even more alert and ready for trouble. He looked around to see if anybody else had been left behind. It would be a long journey, and somebody to talk to and help watch for danger would be welcome.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"I have to say, for our mission to be completed to it's fullest, I might die trying, but I'll do my best to stay alive, brother." Thrandil said and thought I wish you wouldn't leave, my friend. The forest calls me too, as that's where I belong, but for now there's a more important task to finish.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

OOC:

I'm officially declaring this thread closed! Nicely done, gentlemen. I've outfitted threads for you to continue in from this point.

Thrandil, you'll go to the "A Scourge Known as the Attica", though I noticed you found it already! I'll be continuing as your moderator there :)

Draydis, you'll go to the "The Beacon of Tomorrow ~ Draydis Returns", where you'll be taken up by the very talented Zhavon :)

Good luck in your future adventures, gentlemen!
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

OOC: This thread was never skilled....can somebody help?

Thanks!
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Skilled Via Yin

Draydis
Sailing Basic **
Long bow **
Ancient Elven **
Con Artist *
Leadership *

I skilled for Elvie
Diplomacy *
Ancient Elven *
Acrobatics *
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Return to “On the Water Archive”