The Chase (Draydis and Thrandil)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

The Chase (Draydis and Thrandil)

Post by Grant »

The Magpie had a difficult time at the mouth of the river. She bucked and swayed like an angry horse, giving the two elves their first taste of sea sickness. The violent currents in the waters struggled against the strong westerly breeze to almost lay the poor polacre on it's side more than once, and it was only with determined effort that Long Tom managed to bring her about and get her under control.

On more than one occasion, the crew had to enlist both Draydis and Thrandil to help, hauling on a massive rope here or letting go with a different rope there. Eventually, the ship seemed to settle into an easy glide, but several things were different with her sailing now that they were upon the lake itself. First, all the sails that Tom had set were hung differently, with the sheets running parallel to the ship. Second, the ship leaned to port...what the sailors called the left side of the ship...at a regal angle, and one that seemed constant and unchanging.

"Aye, lads...the wind works against us..." bellowed Tom, for the wind was rather strong and he had to shout to be heard. "It blows right in our teeth, forcing us to tack. If Bart had the same wind, we'll be lucky...but if his wind was a few points backed, he'll beat us to the Mouth, sure is sure."

Regardless of the Captain's dislike for the wind, the Magpie seemed to glide through the waters swiftly, leaping over swells and settling back to the surface with a resounding crash that threw water all across the deck. The force of the impact was enough to threaten their balance with each to gallop.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

At first, Dray did his best to simply stay out of the way. He observed the actions of the men, but knew without any sailing skill, he'd only slow their efforts down. His bow was in his hands and ready for anything should the need arise. His elven eyes scanned the banks of the river, and strained to look into the distance. ~We must catch them...~ "...and they will perish for their transgressions." The last bit escaped his lips unintentionally.

As the crew called for his help, Draydis gave it. He pulled on the ropes as instructed, trying to fight back his desires to get sick from the motion of the boat. Once the boat calmed a bit, the wood elf went to the edge of the boat and got sick in the water. He looked sheepishly back at Tom..."Sorry mate...guess I'm just not used to this." He smiled and then turned his attention back to helping with the ropes and with keeping an eye out for their enemy.

As they skipped along the water, Dray closed his eyes for just a moment...his words were barely audible above the crashing of the waves and the howl of the wind in their face...

"Mother...the wind is your breath that brings us rain. However today it brings us pain. A few steps forward we attempt to sail, with wind in our faces we strive not to fail. The Magpie and her crew have joined our fight, to stop Elvie's captors and end their flight. With all our faith, it is You we need...change the wind, and GIVE US SPEED!" Dray kneeled and bowed his head for a moment, trying to keep steady on the rough waters. ~Mother, we can really use you now.~

He then stood and once again looked about the land and waters around them for any sign of trouble. "Thran...I think full armor may be a good idea." He looked around the boat, and then stood close enough to his friend so that nobody else would hear them talk. "We have no cover on this thing, and the men though brave are unarmed and unarmored. Should we face an enemy on this vessel with these men, it is our job to make sure they all get home to their families unharmed. As such, we must take the brunt of the enemy's attacks. I don't trust a lot of things in this world, but I do trust three things....Mother, you, and mithril." He smiled at his friend and then went to put on the remainder of his armor.

Once it was completely on, he returned to the deck to once again watch for problems and lend a hand where necessary. "Tom, should there be an attack, I will attempt to draw all the attention to myself. Just make sure your men are safe. Not so long ago, I swore an oath to protect those around me, and never again allow one to be hurt if I could do anything to prevent it. I intend to keep that promise." He patted the captain on his arm and smiled. "I do appreciate your help, sir. Your colors have shown today, and I'm honored to know you. Now, I will let you back to the task at hand...I have a new toy here, and if I'm not needed to help the crew, I think a bit of practice time will help me."

Dray looks around the boat for an open space where he could use his whip, and he begins to practice making it crack. He makes sure that nobody is around who would likely get hit by his mistakes, and makes sure his helmet's visor is in the down position so he doesn't hurt himself. While training, he keeps his eyes sharp for any signs of danger.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

It was an entirely new experience for Draydis to be aboard a ship at sea. The Magpie tacked fiercely against the wind, cutting back and forth frequently due to the small width of the Mer which gave them little leeway or choice.

With every tack, the ship turning up into the wind directly and then beyond to angle towards it from the opposite direction, but the adjustments aboard the ship were incredible. The hull, leaning far too steep for safe footing, would suddenly angle over to lean the opposite direction with every change, and the rigging would shift such that ropes and spars swept across the deck at just the right height such that they might sweep a careless soul into the rough waters, never to be seen again.

In short, it was a very poor condition for any exercises. Draydis could manage some work below decks, but the lighting was quite poor here and there were numerous braces and knees that interfered with his practice. On the main deck, it would have been worse, though: he could have easily been swept over the side, for his nausea over the seas persisted and the ship lept and jumped like an angry, unbroken thoroughbred.

"Aye, lad..." hollered Tom, his hands still upon the tiller wheel where they had remained every mark as they traveled. "You might want to rethink yer armors. More sailors die at sea from drowning than from wounds received in battle..." he shouted, smiling at his passenger with strangely uncharacteristic cheer in spite of the weather. "And don't you worry yer wee head none about this headwind! Bart ran inta the same thing, I bet. Why, he might not be more than a couple leagues ahead of us even now..."
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray attempted as best he could to work with his whip for a short while...~How are we going to fight in these conditions?~ He got sick several more times, and finally didn't have anything else that came up...though the sickness did not go away.

After a while, he returned to the deck...trying once again to withstand the uneven footing aboard the ship. As Tom commented about his armor, Dray replied, "Can you tell me how a combat at sea usually goes, Tom? Once we can close to personal combat, the armor is not as necessary, but it definitely is for ranged attacks." Dray knew that falling into the water would be deadly, and also knew that keeping his footing aboard the ship would be difficult in the heavy plate. However, he also trusted its protection, and knew that he'd be the first to charge when combat started.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil nodded at what Tom said and answered to Dray "I'll just stick with my chain mail... don't wanna drown just yet. You know Wolf, it might be a good idea to use you as bait to shoot on. That way I can at least see where they're shooting from." and gave his friend a wink.

The wood elf helped here and there where it was needed, while in the meantime he was either hanging his head above the water, trying to keep his last meal inside, or he would be checking his weapons again and again.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray looks up to the main sail, then around the deck of the ship. "I think I have an idea." He grins at Thrandil. "You think we could craft some sort of harness out of rope that will fit me...we could then rig another piece of rope up there to the main sail timber. The idea of it would be to make sure that I didn't fall into the water if I fall overboard." His smile broadens. "The primary purpose would be to allow me to swing onto the other ship when we pull alongside it...and thus get their attention so you can lead the crew of our ship into battle safely. What do you think?" Dray starts to think about the exact design of the harness and where the rope would have to be attached to allow him to swing out to another ship.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"I gotta be honest, lads...I'm not sure. I've never been attacked by pirates. They don't come up the rivers much, and we don't often carry enough to interest them. Let's hope we don't find out, eh?" shouted Tom, his muscles straining to keep the Magpie pushed up into the wind as best he might. Despite the headwind, the little ship struggled valiantly onward, eating the wind as best she might. It seemed to the elves as if they were moving along at a fine speed, but Tom wasn't so pleased.

"It isn't our headway, mates..." he explained, his frustration plain. "It's our leeway. Sure, we cut along mighty fine, but the water itself pushes us back at the same time, since the wind moves it. It can be frustrating...what! What's that up ahead?"

"SAIL HO! Four points off the starboard bow!" hollered down one of the upper yardmen, reinforcing what Tom had already seen.

"Here, mates..." hollered Tom, beckoning to the elves. "Take the wheel for me! Hold her steady an still while I check out what lies a'weather..." he barked, motioning both Draydis and Thrandil to the large, spoked wheel that operated the rudder. He moved to the front of the starboard side of the ship and peered ahead through his glass, taking in the dark sail that lay directly into the eye of the wind. The rudder wheel was very difficult to hold, and it took all the efforts of both elves to hold it steady and in place, a testament to Tom's quiet strength.

"It's not good, mates. A pirate cutter. She's got the weather gauge of us, and she'll be bearing up to take us in moments. We can heave to and try to run back to the river, but if we do, we'll lose your princess for sure..." shouted Tom, returning to the wheel. "Or we can risk running clear of her. Anything's possible, sure, but...their ship is much better in a reaching match than mine, and she'll have many more hands aboard than I have..."

Whether the elves understood his words or not, Tom seemed to waiting on them to make a decision before he gave his next orders.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran looked at where the others were looking. "Pirates..." he mumbled as he was at the rudder. "So far for your great plan, Wolf. Better get our weapons ready? Whaddy think, normal tip or barbed tip?" Thran asked, licking his lips.

As he had heard Tom's possibilities he said "Wolf and I have traveled this far not to run back and leave our brethren. You said we could count on you, make way for us and avoid the ship. Take the wheel and we'll try to slow them.".

He waited for Tom to take over the wheel so he could go down, grab his weapons, and in particular the long bow with a quiver of barbed arrows. He took a place at the side of the ship that was nearest the pirates, trying to aim for the rudder man, or if he wasn't in sight, for their look out. Above all, he tried to keep the bow ready.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray smiles...~finally, a fight~ "Thran, let's throw everything we have at them." He looks to his weapons on the deck. "Tom, can you try to avoid their ship, and as we pass, Hunter and I will take out as many as we can. You need to tell us which men on that ship are the most important for the operation of the ship...such as taking out the guy at the rudder." Dray looks ahead to the pirates. "Once they pass us, it will take them a bit to turn and give chase. As they close, we will continue to take shots...and when they get close enough, I will attempt to shoot out the ropes for their main sail."

He looks at the two men with fire in his eyes..."How does that sound?"

As they continued to discuss plans, Dray went to his pile of weapons and attached his quivers in place. He did the same for his short swords and axes...then finally picked up the bow and bladed staff. "Thran...I'm all set...Tom, make sure they pass on this side...and not too close. We can hit them from a long distance."

Dray then took his position next to Thran. "If it gets to heavy against us, use me as cover...my armor can take arrows much better than yours can." He pulled an arrow from the quiver and readied his bow...waiting until the enemy ship came within range. "For the kingdom..."
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"I'll do what I can, mate, but while they've got the weather gauge on us...while they lie upwind...they're in control," responded Tom, his eyes squinting up at the pirate ship as he retook the helm from the elves. "They get to pick when and how they'll bring us to action. But I'll do my best to keep at far enough to give you both a few good shots..."

"SAIL HO! Polacre, fore-an-aft, lyin' a-weather the xebec..." shouted the lookout once more, indicating a second ship upwind of the first.

Taking out his glass again, Tom scanned westward once more and considered the view carefully. "Ah...I think the second ship is one the pirates have already captured. It might be Bart's ship, mates...looks like another river boat to me..." he barked, turning his eyes to the elves. "Mates, if they've caught Bart, they've probably already captured the cargo your chasing. I'll try to get us in close to the prize, but it won't be an easy trick..."

The Magpie continued to labor against the wind, shouldering the rough waters aside as she lept through the Mer in short, rocking gallops. Each of the sailors aboard...there were only a dozen...each took turns away from the busy ropes and sheets to arm themselves with some of the hand weapons the Magpie had in her normally-locked weapons chest. They were few, unfortunately...only a dozen against what could have been a hundred in the pirate ship that drew slowly closer as she tacked upwind of the Magpie, letting Tom come ever closer and closer as they ate the wind.

Glancing forward, Draydis and Thran could make out quite a bit of detail in the pirate ship. She was narrow and deeper than the Magpie, clearly better designed for the deeper waters of the sea than the river boat upon which they stood. The name Attica was printed on the back of the ship in bold, determined letters, and she tacked into the wind as well, though she made less speed than the Magpie since she clearly sought to force Tom and his crew into action.

Neither elf could easily count the number of hands they saw aboard her, but there were well more than sixty at first glance. Even as they watched, the crew began to fill the deck, each armed with a bow or crossbow, and several hands turned a catapult upon the Attica's deck to bring it to bear against the Magpie.

"They're swinging out a boat already! 'Ware the boat, and start firing when we get close enough, mates..." shouted Tom from back at the helm. Sure enough, the Attica had already lowered both of the large ship's boats from both of her stern davits, already interested in rowing her crew over to capture the Magpie and her severely outnumbered crew. There were a lot of pirates aboard...but despite the terrible wind, they might be within range even now.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"I'll keep that catapult away from us...you focus on those boats." Dray pulled back the string on his bow and took careful aim. He wanted to hit the man who was aiming the catapult at them. With a keen eye focused on the target, he let the arrow fly. As soon as it left the bow, Dray continued to pull arrows from his quiver, firing at the crew manning the catapult.

"Our arrows of death rain from the sky, on Mother's breath they do fly. With precision and speed, they cut through your heart. Their numbers are many, the fight will be hard, but we shall be victorious, HERE COMES THE GUARD!"

The wood elf continued his ranged assault on the crew of the pirate ship with determination. "Tom, how would you and your crew like a new ship today? TO ARMS!!!"
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"The boats it will be, my friend." Thran said quickly and re-aimed at the personnel in the boats. Taking a careful aim at the heart of a rower from the closest boat, he let's go of the arrow, shooting it towards the pirates. He aimed again, with the next arrow and shot again at the closest boat. Repeating until the crew on the boats were death or until he'd be out of arrows.

During his fire, Thrandil spoke the words of one of many warrior's prayers loud enough for those near him to hear.

"Mother Earth I call you, my sword is by my side.
I seek a life of Honor, free from all false pride.
I will crack the whip with a bold, mighty hail.
Cover me with Death if I should ever fail.
Glory, Majesty, Unity
Hail, Hail, Hail.
"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The catapult crew didn't present a very easy target for Draydis. Still, it took many hands to move the catapult, and if he could hit any one of them, he might delay it for some time. This he tried, launching the first arrow in a low arc to combat the wind. He thought his shot had been close, but he could not see clearly where it landed to know how much success he had had. Despite this, he continued launching as quickly as he might into the mass of pirates that worked the engine.

The boats upon the davits were lowered with no one within them, the crews heaving away at the suspending ropes with a display of coordinated effort so far away still. He fired into them, again unaware of how effective his arrows would be, though the starboard launch no longer lowered as quickly as the port boat.

In both cases, the elves did as best they might considering that they fired into the eye of the wind, which took much off their shot. It seemed as if the pirates had not expected such a response from the little Magpie, lying downwind from them and outnumbered so badly, and the arrows initially took them by surprise. But pirates were nothing if not tenacious and cruel: they managed to respond before either elf loosed their fourth arrow.

A hail of arrows flew downwind to the Magpie, launched by over three dozen archers aboard the Attica. While the majority of the attack seemed to be arrows, showering the boat with their lethal, silent presence, a few were something altogether different. One of the arrows glanced off of Thrandil's shoulder, striking with enough force to leave a bruise under the elf's armor. A massive bolt of steel sunk into the railing just near Draydis, a bolt launched from a heavy crossbow that split through the heavy wooden forepeak of the Magpie with enough force to nearly push through it, a shot of such power neither elf had seen before. The pirates were armed with crossbows.

"Aye, dammit! We can't take too much of this, lads..." shouted Tom from behind them. Glancing back, they saw two of the Magpie's scant crew already wounded, one of which was dead already, run through the throat. "They'll cut us up so much we won't be able to keep the ship in hand! Forget the fighters, lads....aim for their helm! Hit their pilot..."
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil gritted his teeth right after he was hit. "WILL DO TOM!" he shouted back towards the skipper. With that he took aim at the helm, and tried to pinpoint the shot for the pilot of the boat. "Wolf, tune in with me here." Thrandil said and shouted "EMERALD FOREVER!" just before he got to get a go at his next piece of lingual craftmanship.

"United we stand
Divided we fall

Emerald forever!

In the mothers
cry for justice

Emerald forever!

This guard is something
We do understand

Emerald forever!

The power and glory
we use so grand.

Emerald forever!
"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Father...I need your hand now. You taught me as a child how to shoot...and may your spirit guide my bow..."

Dray took careful aim...targeting one of the ropes upon which the smaller boats were suspended. ~If just one can be stopped...please Mother...ease your breath.~ With that, he released the arrow.

Upon Thran's command, Dray turned his attention to the man at the pirate ship helm. He released another arrow at that target, hoping to cripple their ability to control the larger ship.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Tom couldn't see the pirates aboard the chase. He and his crew were too busy controlling the Magpie and coaxing every amount of thrust he could get from the sails, lying against the wind as he was. Neither Draydis or Thrandil had any problems seeing the helmsmen, though, and they managed to take aim upon them next, having at least slowed the catapult and the boat davits. One of the boats had been lowered awkwardly, the crewman handling one end of the boat wounded and the frapping line released early.

There were no less than four pirates minding the helm, though, and two of them stood beyond the massive wheel, making them a difficult target. The elves sent their arrows against these men, raining upon them as well as they could given the distance and the difficult, leaping deck, but before they could make a great deal of progress, a rending tear and a loud, skull-shaking snap could be heard just over their heads.

Looking up, the mainsail of the Magpie had gone footloose, the topmen having been wounded and unable to control it. Instantly, the Magpie slowed against the wind and the uncontrolled sail flapped out in the wind like a flag that had been halfway torn from it's pole. The crew was quick to respond, but they were few...so very few...

"Sheet's FREE! AWAY ALOFT!" shouted Tom, as he swung the helm over to slow the ship and hopefully stabilize her. Eight sailors...all the Magpie had left that could work the rigging...ran up the ratlines to try to wrestle the sail under control again, one of which was struck by an arrow before he even reached the yardarm.

"WOLF!" shouted Tom from the helm. "It's no good! We'll need to bear up and tie the sail down! Keep an eye on them...watch for the boats..."

The thick crash of wood striking wood signalled the first catapult attack, as a massive weight of stone was hurled across the water, flying over the Magpie and splashing down beyond them with a massive, audible splash.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray remained focused on the crew at their helm...shooting more arrows. He knew that the Magpie was in serious trouble, and knew that the odds had to be evened before the pirates were upon them. With quick reflexes, the bow continued to send arrows towards the pirate ship. Adrenaline was now coursing through the wood elf's veins and the sounds of the Magpie being wrecked rang through his ears. "MOTHER! Lend us your aid!"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

"Mother, be with us in the times of hardship. We need you now. Lend us a hand with faith and don't let darkness overcome the Elven Empire." Thran said and told Dray "I'm going to help. Keep an eye on the boats!".

With that, Thran turned to the crew, walking up to them. "Just tell me where and how to help a hand. I mightn't be a sailor, but I see you guys can use all the help you can." he spoke loudly, waiting for orders of any one of them.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"The helm! Hold the helm, mate..." hollered Tom, desperate to get forward to help with the runaway sail. As soon as he was spared, he ran forward and mounted the shrouds, climbing up with his crewmen to wrestle the dangerously agitated sheet under control. Above their heads, the sheet continued to snap and crack away as it flailed in the wind, defying all attempts at control.

The pirate ship did not adjust her course in the slightest as they brought the catapult arm down for another shot. Draydis could see the crew more easily now that they were closing to some degree, and within the crowd of pirates he managed to kill one of the helmsmen, his shot taking the seaman in the chest. Despite his best attempts, though, there always seemed to be ready hands to take over at the wheel, and he could not wound enough of them at once to affect the Attica's course. Directly overhear, he heard the loose sail crack away, followed by a scream of pain and the thump of a falling hand, severed by the snapping sail.

Tom managed to get the sheet hauled in, but the Magpie had slowed to a crawl making the helm strangely easy for Thrandil to turn. "Ok! We'll haul the sheet back and brace her down again..." began Tom once the loose sail had been brought under control. A pair of sailors slid down the mainmast backstays to secure the running lines, moving with quiet determination, when the catapult run out again.

SMASH!

Draydis saw the next shot fly in toward the Magpie, a shot that would not miss. He managed to bark out a single warning before the stone found them. From Thrandil's position on the quarterdeck, he could see the stone smash into the deck just to port of center and just behind the mainmast, leaving a gaping hole in the deck and burrowing into the ship with disastrous force, knocking another sailor off the upper yards to fall to the deck with a loud, ominous thump.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray knew the Magpie was in grave danger as the catapult's load hit the deck. "FOR ELVIE!!!" He adjusted the target of his arrows to attack the men manning the catapult. ~Another shot like that and we're done.~ Dray yelled back at Thran..."Let's sail right for them! INTO THE BREACH!!!" He figured that the quicker they close the distance, the harder it will be for the pirates to target them with the catapult.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

With disgust he looked at what happend. All that for two strangers and a princess to be saved... they deserve better! Thrandil thought as he did his best to keep the wheel and to keep standing behind it.

As Dray issued the command. Thrandil bshouted "FOR ELEVIE!" as he threw the Magpie into a course straight to the Attica, trying to steer it just beside it, to get stay away from any catapults. As he did this, he shouted to the crew and to Tom "You're all fine men, and both me and Draydis didn't want this to happen. I'm gonna do as he said, but not ramming the Attica. I'm Thrandil Mael-Muire and I'd rather die than lose hope or fail a mission. We thank you for what you have done. If you can or want to swim, feel free to abandon ship. Might we survive, we'll be back to thank you and repay you for your deeds and losses.".

Staring at the Attica with jet flames in his eyes, gritting teeth and throbbing veins in his neck, he added shouting "FOR THE MOTHER! FOR THE KINGDOM! FOR ELEVIE!" and took a short pause before, with a wicked grin on his mouth shouting his last sentence for the time being... "NO GUTS... NO GLORY!!!!!!"
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Thran's words inspired Dray to fire with increased speed...the passion in his voice giving him energy. The arrows flew from Dray's bow with as much speed and precision he could muster. As the Magpie turned towards the pirate ship, Dray focused his attention on the pirates with the crossbows. "LET'S GIVE THEM HELL MEN!!!"

Though his arms were starting to tire from the rapid firing, Dray continued with his lone assault on the pirates...shooting at the crossbowmen as they exposed themselves to his view. "ELVEN FURY!"
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Dray returned his shot to the engineers of the catapult, sending new shafts among them despite the difficulty of the task from the violently pitching deck. Arrows returned, sent with enough force to knock him back when they struck, and more than a few bolts nearly cost him his life, bolts that could have impaled him easily. His shouts back to the helm did not go unheeded, for Thrandil manned the rudder, and the Magpie rose up and pointed directly at the Attica. And into the eye of the wind.

"Nooo! We're in stays, we're in stays...HELM'S ALEE!" shouted Tom, as the brisk wind blowing in on the side of ship suddenly shifted to hit her full in the teeth. All at once the Magpie righted and slowed to a stopped as if she had run afoul of some great, invisible net, and the helm no longer responded at all...the rudder flapped around uselessly since the boat no longer moved with enough speed for it to bite.

All at once, all the sailors began sliding down from the tops, several running down to inspect the damage below. Tom had some trouble climbing his way down, for he was not accustomed to working high in the rigging. Out to the fore of the ship, Dray saw great activity aboard the Attica as she came around and turned towards them, seeing their opportunity. As she brought the wind on her side, and continued turning to bring it on her rearward quarter, she moved with incredible speed, hurling down the winds towards the waiting Magpie, for her captain knew that the Magpie could no longer steer.

Sure enough, the Magpie seemed to founder about a moment and then lurch backwards, slowly at first and with ever-growing speed as she lost her fight against the wind and fell back to the east, unable to maneuver and unable to defend herself. "We need to save the ship!" shouted Tom once he reached the deck. Pointing to Dray he barked quickly. "Leap down and check to see how badly we're hit. See if we're making water!" Turning to Thrandil, he continued. "Hold the rudder as for to one side as you can and pray! If we don't work off of stays, we're done for against the rocks!"
Last edited by Grant on Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Dray suddenly realized what was going to happen..."They're going to ram us!!!" He continued to fire arrows...as he was their only offensive threat to the pirates at the moment. "We must turn if we want to survive!" Dray continued to aim for the crossbowmen, but when they became a difficult target to hit, he turned to any target that was the easiest to hit.

Once Tom barked out the order, Dray did his best to go survey the damage below. He returned to the deck and then gave his report, taking a moment to launch another arrow.
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran did as Tom said, keeping the wheel to one end in the hope the rudder would catch again. "I will Tom! Prayers I know enough!" he shouted and closed his eyes, while hanging at the wheel.

"Oh Mother who art in the Heavens
Innocent men are to fall
Show your mercy, show your sympathy
Settle the rudder and save us all

Praise to thee and thine children
Guardsmen who carry an oath
We're asking you for help
Take no lives, save this boat.

Praise the Mother
" Thrandil whispered in his native tongue, hoping for a miracle.

Return to “On the Water Archive”