In Search of Pirates:Zarkazar: Samheen 16th

Moderator: Mods

In Search of Pirates:Zarkazar: Samheen 16th

Post by Guest »

The Galleon 'Hunter' sped over the ocean as fast as Captain Hanrad would dare. At times, with the changing wind direction and speed, more or less sail was ordered to allow the Hunter to travel as fast as it could.

Being weighed down with a large amount of supplies for a long voyage, it was not at its top speed, but still fast enough to catch a pirate the captain hoped.

Of the men on board, there was Captain Hanrad, always dressed in bright colours, always confident. A hard taskmaster that expected nothing but 100% from his men, however that was tempered with a fairness that no one could fault. Each person got the same praise, or punishment, with no favoritisms. The one thing that stood out when anyone saw the captain was his teeth, some of gold, but all covered in small precious stones, making his mouth gleam when he smiled.

The next of note was a big ugly looking brute who went by the name of Osilik. He was the first mate. Perhaps he was not the most intelligent of men, but he knew ships and the sea, and he had a habit of getting things done, which is why he got the job. He respected the Captain, tolerated the crew, all except one, whom he didn't like, Zarkazar

The last person of note on this ship was Zarkazar, unbeknown to his shipmates, he was an ex pirate, and it was now his task to go find and kill pirates, what a change of fortune. His job on the ship was to train the sailors to fight, and keep stock of the weapons.

As the day went on the ship's crew carried on the normal work and watches, the thoughts of pirates not far from their minds.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar knocked on the captain's cabin door. He'd decided on the training for the men and had written down a list of the weapons they had. As he knocked he was sure he could feel Osilik's eyes burning into the back of his neck. Hunting pirates was a dangerous business (almost as dangerous as being a pirate!) and Zarkazar would be keeping an eye out not just for buccaneers, but also for any hint of deviousness from Osilik, who was broad of shoulder but narrow of mind.

Post by Guest »

Steps approached the door and it was unlocked and swung open. There stood Captain Hanrad, still dressed as he was earlier.

"Ah you, your early, still come in, come in".

Captain Hanrad motioned him to the desk where he had stood before, and himself went and sat in his chair.

"Ok my Lad, now lets see what you've found out, and how you going to train this scurvy lot to use a sword".

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar handed over the written inventory of weapons for the captain to peruse and sat on the edge of the desk.
'The first step to being a true swordsman, is balance, which is made slightly more difficult by the motion of the sea.' Zarkazar said. 'We'll have to go back to basics I think. And we can't train them too hard; if they've had a hard day's work they'll hardly want to take lessons. Perhaps you could lessen their workload to incorporate the training?' If the captain agreed, Zarkazar would surely be popular with his fellow crewmates.
'And then there's the matter of my training fee...'

Post by Guest »

Captain Hanrad took the proffered and read it through while listening to Zarkazar.

He finished the sheet in silence, nodding to himself as he finished it.

Putting the sheet on the desk, he turned and faced Zarkazar.

"That all seems ok, we have enough for everyone I think".

"As to your training......", the captains voice trailed off, and he gave Zarkazar a smile, "You show some understanding at least, yes a balanced fighter will always have a chance".

"Right lets take your points, Yes they will be tired, and no I will not change the duties. In fact your forgetting something, you have two classes to run, One for the Day watch when they finish, then one for the night watch when they finish. SO I think it is you who is going to be tired".

He shook his head, "As for them not wanting to practice, they will either do so, or they will be clapped in irons and fed bread and water for a few days. So do not worry about that".

He then leaned forward closer, his face inches from Zarkazar's, "As for you and your fee, you will be paid whatever I deem to be fair. It may be more than an ordinary seaman, then again maybe not. One thing you should know, I decide how much anyone gets, and when they get it. Now get out and tell Osilik to come in here, and you will be training this motly crew starting at the end of this watch upon their are finished".

The Captain waved Zarkazar away as he picked up the inventory to study again.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar prevented himself from saying something rude to the captain (which wasn't easy) and instead nodded and left as asked. Looking over the deck he saw the bald pate of Osilik and shouted towards him.
'The captain wants to see you, Osilik. And let it be known that when the current watch is done, they are scheduled for weapon training.' He tried not to cringe as he said it, anticipating a bad reaction from both Osilik and the crew.

Post by Guest »

Osilik glanced over at Zarkazar, "He does does he, and they already know, can't you see it on thier faces", he laughed as he walked past Zarkazar towards the captains cabin.

Indeed if looks could kill, Zarkazar would have been dead many times over.

One of the more friendlier seamen came over, Talik was his name, the one who woke Zarkazar up in the Inn before sailing.

"So we still have a while before the watch changes, where's this training taking place, not much room except on the main deck".

He leaned a little closer to Zarkazar and whispered, "Now I dont mind this, cause I rekon every bit I learn may well keep me alive, and I have a wife and kids to take care of. I would watch yourself though, some are not appy at doing it, and they will have swords remember, dont turn ya back on em."

Then in a louder voice, "I got some free time mate till the watch ends, ya want some hand to set anything up"?
Last edited by Guest on Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"It's good to see a friendly face." the combat instructor said to Talik. "Help me carry the weapons onto the deck. And let the men know that the man who does the best training will get free drinks on me when we get to the next port. That should give them some enthusiasm. And hopefully prevent me from getting a blade in the back."
Zarkazar decided, as he headed for the storage area, that he would first teach the men different ways to grip a sword depending on the situation. Most people would just grab the sword and start swinging, but different ways of holding it could be very effective. After that he'd get them to do some balance exercises. Both subjects would be useful, and neither would be too tiring after a hard day's work.
Well what do you know? Maybe I actually DO have a clue what I'm doing!

Post by Guest »

Talik helped with the weapons, and passed Zarkazar's offer along to the crew. It was a very short time before it got round.

It had partly worked, a few of the sailors gave a slight nod and perhaps even a smile to Zarkazar however some were still obviously not happy.

Something changed though when Osilik came back on deck and started bawling and shouting at the crew, including a few well placed kicks. He had also started to carry a whip which he used to good effect, and often.

It was obvious that although they didn't like Zarkazar, the first mate was even less liked.

Even while Talik and Zarkazar worked they heard grumbles from the crew.

As Zarkazar collected the last few swords, he heard some mumbled voices behind some boxes, which became clearer as he passed by.

Voice 1: "So, we meet hold three in 10 burns".
Voice 2: "Yea, we gotta do somit abou im, the capn' wont".
Voice 3: "Yea we sort out what to do wi im, meet in 10 burns we will".

Luckily the three walked off away from Zarkazar and didnt see him, however neither did Zarkazar see what they looked like.

Post by Guest »

Interesting, thought Zarkazar, if it's Osilik they're talking about, there could be a vacancy for first mate in the offing soon.
He paused to reflect. Does Osilik really deserve this treachery? He's only doing his job as ordered. If they're only going to rough him up, then fair enough; a boot in the face might be the attitude adjustment he needs. But if they're planning murder... Zarkazar wasn't sure what to do, Osilik deserved some payback, that was certain, but to murder the first mate so early on a voyage wasn't a good omen. The captain was a stern man, if Zarkazar told him what he'd overheard all the crew could be on the recieving end of his wrath.
Although the conspirators weren't meeting for another ten burns Zarkazar headed for hold three to have a look around.

Post by Guest »

The initial look around the hold, showed a typical mix of crates and boxes scattered around. There was the usual open area below the hold entrance on the deck and by each of the hatchway entrances to Holds two and four.

A search of the hold found one obvious place where a clandestine meeting might be held, a gap of about 6ft square behind some crates.

However the only place to watch, and hear, anything that went on there was from above, about 14ft up.
It was reachable, by carefully climbing, and although the position was a little precarious due to the height, as long as there was no sudden movements its should be safe.

Post by Guest »

I really should think of a plan of action, Zarkazar told himself, while ignoring that advice he began to climb. He still wasn't sure whether he'd prevent them from killing Osilik (if that was their intention) or if he'd merely observe. He suddenly paused. What if it's ME they're planning to attack? Nah, that's ridiculous! Nobody takes a dislike to Zarkazar Ballast...well, not many. He continued on his way.

Post by Guest »

Not long after Zarkazar had settled himself on top of the crates the first of the three sailors cames in, a few burns later the other two followed.
Zarkazar recognised none of them, which was not surprising considering he had only met a handfull so far out of the 150 or so on the ship.

First sailor, "So we gonna get im then"?
Second sailor, "Yep we is, but ow, thats the question"
Third sailor, "We stick im good, sneak up beind and stick im"
Second sailor, "Or wack is ed, an push im overbord".
First sailor, "Yea, bu we gotta have one of them, watcha calls it, alibi things, aint we".
Third sailor, "We get that, plenny o da men will stand by us if we do im in"
Second sailor, "Ok, when dats da da question, when".

There was silence for a short while as the men thought and Zarkazar could get a better look at them, All wre tool and wore similar clothing. the first man was bald, the second had long hair and a beard, the third was also bald but had tattoos all over his head.

Second sailor, "I knows, just before the watch changes, e goes and sneaks a snort of whisky. e as a botal in his room if we waits till he goes, then as he enters we rush and crack is ed".

The other two sailors nod in agreement, they then clap each other on the shoulders and saunter out.

Post by Guest »

Not long after Zarkazar had settled himself on top of the crates the first of the three sailors cames in, a few burns later the other two followed.
Zarkazar recognized none of them, which was not surprising considering he had only met a handful so far out of the 150 or so on the ship.

First sailor, "So we gonna get im then"?
Second sailor, "Yep we is, but ow, thats the question"
Third sailor, "We stick im good, sneak up beind and stick im"
Second sailor, "Or wack is ed, an push im overboard".
First sailor, "Yea, bu we gotta have one of them, watcha calls it, alibi things, aint we".
Third sailor, "We get that, plenny o da men will stand by us if we do im in"
Second sailor, "Ok, when dats da da question, when".

There was silence for a short while as the men thought and Zarkazar could get a better look at them, All were tool and wore similar clothing. the first man was bald, the second had long hair and a beard, the third was also bald but had tattoos all over his head.

Second sailor, "I knows, just before the watch changes, e goes and sneaks a snort of whisky. e as a botal in his room if we waits till he goes, then as he enters we rush and crack is ed".

The other two sailors nod in agreement, they then clap each other on the shoulders and saunter out.

Post by Guest »

Sounds like they mean business! Zarkazar clambered from his hiding place, making as little sound as possible. I can't just stand by and let them kill Osilik, if only to prevent them being killed by the captain in punishment. An idea occured to him. Quickly he ran towards Osilik's cabin, looking for any of the conspiritors as he did so. He wanted a word with them; perhaps he could just prevent them making a terrible mistake.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar reached Osiliks cabin without seeing anyone, of course the watch still had a little while to go.

His deliberations of what to do next were interrupted by a sudden shout, heard by all, from the crows nest, "Ship ahoy, two points off the starboard bow".

Osiliks reply came almost immediately, "What ship, The Pelargic Horse?"
"No", came the reply, "I see the Skull and Crossbones, tis a Pirate ship".

There was a pause and running by Zarkazar, sword drawn came the captain.
Slapping Zarkazar on the shoulder, "Come on man, now its time to earn that pay".

The captain ran out to the deck, leaving Zarkazar standing who could still hear him shout.

"All hands on deck, grab your weapons, you lot there, grab a grappling hook each. Mr Osilisk, more sail we must catch her up".

less than a burn later, there was a surge of speed as the Hunter suddenly went faster, a cheer rang out from the crew, they were getting closer.

Post by Guest »

Looks like I have my own skin to worry about now.Zarkazar hoped the lessons on balance would come in useful, what with the men swinging about on ropes or jumping from one deck to another. He had a brief flashback to his last battle at sea and thought about the time he'd spend almost dead and drowning, leaving a pale trail of red swirling from his wounds. Luckilly a fellow rogue by the name of Tavren had been there at the time, to save him. But this time Zarkazar was on his own.
Then again, maybe not. He looked around to see if he could see Talik, but there was too much commotion as the ship plowed through the waves which seemed to be crashing aggresively now, rather than lapping the ship smoothly and peacefully.
Keep calm, Zarkazar, he ordered himself, your last disaster was bad luck, rather than ineptitude. You're Zarkazar Ballast, man! It's time for you to live up to the reputation that you'll one day have. The legend starts here. He drew his blade and gave it a fancy twirl. Is it just me, or is it really warm out here? I seem to be sweating.

Post by Guest »

There was a mad. but seemingly organised, chaos on the deck. Most of the initial running around was over, and the crew were standing by mostly with with swords and a few with grappling hooks.

The distance between the Hunter and the pirate ship was closing rapidly. A skilled seaman could see the crew of that ship trying everything it could to get away, but to no avail. It's weight was slowing it down, and of course the Hunter was built for speed and chases like this.

It would perhaps be just a few burns before they drew level and all were getting ready when Zarkazar saw the three conspirators, all together looking daggers at Osilisk.

His observation and thoughts were interrupted by a voice by his side, "It's me Talik, I think I'm gonna be safe if I stay with near you, we can watch each other's back".

There was a pause, "You don't mind do you"?

Post by Guest »

"Don't worry, friend Talik, with Zarkazar Ballast with you, nothing can go wrong." Zarkazar pointed his blade at the pirate ship. "These scum won't have a clue what hit them. Just remember what I taught you about balance and you won't go far wrong. If you can make your opponent doubt his skill, half the battle is won. Confidance can make up for ability; so whatever you do, make it look easy."
Zarkazar smiled as if this skirmish was nothing more than a stroll to the tavern. But he kept an eye on the conspirators, wondering if they would make this their opportunity to strike.
During the battle, I'll try to get near Osilik and see if I can stop them killing him. While making sure I don't get murdered myself. Oh, and there's Talik to watch over too. Easy...

Post by Guest »

All of a sudden the ship was alongside, the pirate ship tried to turn away, but dozens of grappling hooks were thrown by the crew, and the two ships pulled together. Also spears were thrown by both sides, most missing due to the rolling of the ships making accurate throwing almost impossible. One spear landed with a thud between Talik and zarkazar.

As soon as the ships were close enough the crew of the hunter started swinging across, and fights were breaking out all over the deck. Initially the crew was hard pressed, but as the ships got tied together, more men managed to clamber across and now, outnumbering the pirates, began to gain the upper hand.

Suddenly before Zarkazar could move, two pirates swung across, using the Hunters ropes, and headed straight for him and Talik.

One was an enormous man at least 6'4", swinging a large axe, the other no more than 4'6" and with a sword.

Talik engage the smaller one first, and concentrating on keeping his balance, he was immediately hard pressed. Before zarkazar could go to his aid though, the whistle of an axe wooshed past him, and the larger pirate uttered a curse because he had swung too early, but was now aiming another swing directly at Zarkazars head. Zarkazar himself still needed another foot or so nearer to make even the tip of his sword felt.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar had to get closer, no simple feat. Timing was everything. He would wait until the axe blade was about to connect then duck under it, roll forward and stab at the pirate's gut from a crouching position. Not a bad idea in theory, but would it work in practise?

Post by Guest »

The pirate grin got wider as he saw his axe about to hit, then grunted in surprise as the axe met air. Expecting it to hit and it actually missing caused the pirate to lose balance slightly, and he attempted to recover.

At that same time Talik, still hard pressed, backed into the overbalanced pirate, causing him to completely fall over. This also caused Talik to fall, and the fatal blow that had been aimed at him caught him a glancing blow on the shoulder instead, and the point of the small pirates sword thrust went into the buttocks of the larger one, twisting the sword out of his hand.

Zarkazar meanwhile had seen nothing of this, all he saw was the large pirate suddenly twisting away above him, and his own sword thrust, miss the vital area and slice into the leg, splattering him with blood.

Suddenly they all seemed to be a mass of arms and legs, the large pirate flat on his face, howling in pain from his two wounds. The smaller one, still unarmed, looking on stunned at the spectacle before him.

Then there was Talik and Zarkazar, both on their backs on the ground, but still armed. Talik was himself in a small state of shock with the pain of his bleeding arm.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

"The advantage is yours, Talik!" hissed Zarkazar, "Quick, get up and finish it before he re-arms himself!" While speaking Zarkazar made a lunge for the fallen pirate, trying to stab him through the back of the neck, hoping to finish him quickly.

Post by Guest »

Zarkazar's shout seemed to wake Talik from his momentary shock, and he just thrust blindly at the smaller pirate, who looked down in surprize at the sword through his chest and heart. The Pirate fell backwards, off the sword, dead.

Zarkazar's strike at the larger pirate meanwhile didnt quite go as planned but still had the desired effect. Zarkazar missed the middle of the neck, but sliced through the side, neatly severing the jugular, the pirate died in a gurgle of blood.

Meanwhile the fight had been going well for the crew of the hunter and they were gaining the upper hand well, though sporadic bands of pirates were putting up strong resistance.

One group of these pirates, on the deck of the pirates ship, faced Osilik and a few of the hunter crew. Osilik cursing at the men with him, was almost winning the fight single handed, it was obvious he was extremely efficiant with a sword.

However working their way ever closer to Osilik were the three sailors, intent on seeing him dead, it would be no more than a burn or so before they were level with him. Zarkazar could see this from his position on the Hunter.

Post by Guest »

"Watch my back, Talik, there's something I must do. I'll explain later." said Zarkazar. He set off, ducking and weaving among the flailing combatants, heading towards the would-be traitors. As he swerved this way and that, trying to avoid fists and swords from both sides, he drew a dagger from his belt. If he couldn't reach Osilik and the assassins in time, perhaps a hurled dagger would be able to intervene, although he didn't want to resort to that.

Return to “On the Water Archive”