Winds of Change: Dorian Drake Samheen 18

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Winds of Change: Dorian Drake Samheen 18

Post by Shaeliana »

Several marks before sunrise the rain subsided and the clouds began to thin and break up. By the time the sun would peek over the horizon, the clouds would have already retreated high into the sky.

A good half mark before the sun actually rose, Cat awoke and began to pace on the fisherman meowing softly. Maranda's soft blonde curls lay sprawled on her husband's chest, her breathing still slow and deep in sleep. The cat pranced softly up on Dorian's chest, reached a paw out and gently touch the Selkie's cheek.
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian smiled at the cat, and gently shifted Maranda down onto the mattress and tucked her in, before taking up his fishing gear to go out on the water, one last time, to be certain that his wife had food for a couple of days.

He would fish this morning, bring back what he could manage, and head out on his quest at midday, with a farewell to Maranda, and of course, the Cat.

Then he would take a blanket, his gaff, his knife, a flask of water, and some food. He had to wear his sandals, as land travel was bad enough without the webbed toes being crammed into boots. He set off on the road, mindful of the directions, and stumbling along, headed along them.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Gray clouds still hung in the sky though no more rain was forthcoming. The morning was a bit chill, a condition that never bothered the fisherman as he made his way out onto the water with his nets. The sun was just rising over the horizon, playing long fingers of yellow warmth under the clouds which were already starting to break up, as Dorian threw out his nets and began the routine that would fill the bottom of his boat with fresh wiggling fish.

It was while he was dumping the first load of fish from the nets into the bottom of the boat that the sound came ringing over the waters. A percussive boom echoed through the air, partially absorbed by the cloud ceiling. In the distance, over Kings Court, four large ships hung in the air under the clouds, sparks of light announcing the bombardment that they were raining down on the city. His ring finger tingled under the gold ring and he heard a very familiar female voice echo in his mind.

"DORIAN!"
[color=hotpink][i]The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian Drake tied the nets and seized the oars. It was time to go, and he had muscles that were going to power this boat to home as fast as a man could ever go.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

With the tide still going out, rowing back to shore was more difficult and half a mark later when the fisherman approached the shore, dark smoke rose from the city. Off in the distance, he could see the commercial docks that normally took in the large trade vessels, had been laid waste and the top mast of one of the ships that must have been moored there was all that wasn't underwater.

Finally, he reached his own small dock, too small to matter to the attackers. What looked like a large sailing vessel hung in the air over his shack. A chain hung down from the ship through the roof of Dorian's home. Huddled in the edge of the trees that bordered the sandy beach, the blonde clung to the gray cat, her eyes glued to the impossible ship hanging in the air over her home. Next to her stood a young dark haired woman with two young children cowering behind her skirt, crying.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

He did not call out, for that would warn whoever was in the shack. Surprise was in order.

Dorian Drake wasted no time at all, but went into the shack with the gaff point first. There was gold and silver in that shack, and he was not going to leave it to some bloody air pirates - this was also his home, and a man defended his home. Whoever was in his shack was going to meet what amounted to a heavy pike head, with force, and Dorian wasn't even concerned with asking any questions later. If there was no one there, he was taking the rings and money, and the blanket, and if anything else fell to hand he'd grab it too.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

As it turned out, the small domicile was empty. The hole in the roof allowed in more light than usual and the sun chose that moment to peek out from behind the clouds. The chain Dorian had seen from the outside was attached to an anchor that had grabbed hold of what was left of the roof and held the floating ship above them stationary. Nothing else had been touched though there was a good deal of splintered wood and debris sprinkled on and around the feather bed where the anchor had landed before being drawn back up enough to find a hold on the roof.

A resounding boom shuddered the walls of the small shack as another volley of fire shot down into Kings Court. Behind him, Maranda gasped softly.

"They've ruined the roof," she murmured apprehensively. "I thought they were from World's Mouth," she whispered as she stood in the doorway holding the gray cat. "Why would they do something like this, Dorian?"
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian didn't trouble himself with deep thoughts, seeing as how they took a long time for him to come up with, and right now, it was time to get out of the city til all this blew over.

"Don't know." He said, popping their 'bank' plank up and scooping the coins and jewellery into a canvas sack, to which he added the cookpot and whatever else was of use.. and taking the Selkie's skin besides. He handed Maranda the lamp, and took up his spare fishhooks. The lobster traps up on the roof, well, they were history. No point in being angry about it, you had to have spare brainpower for that sort of thing, so he just did what had to be done. The blankets were thrown over his shoulder, and he picked up the bucket.

"We've got to move," he said. "Those ships are raining down fire. It's only a matter of time afore they come along this way and burn the piers. Go to the boat, Maranda, dump out all the fish but a few, and I'll row it to the cove up the way. Then I'll go find Aunt Dora."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It was as if the blonde had been stunned by the appearance of the ships that ought to be in the water, floating in the sky. Now, watching her husband gather up things from the shack, it dawned on her that he was planning on abandoning their home. Her eyes glanced around the small dwelling wondering what to bring as she dropped Cat to the floor.

Taking the lantern from Dorian, she moved to her chest and started to tug on the handle, tears filling her eyes once she realized it was too big and heavy to take in the boat. Wasting no time, she threw the top open and fished out a bed cover which she laid out on the floor followed by her father's clothing that Dorian had worn for their wedding and her wedding dress that had been her mothers. A few other odds and ends, such as the shell necklace Dorian had given her, her herbs and her sewing kit, also went in the pile and she tied it all up like a sack to carry along.

Making as much haste as her full arms and long skirt would allow, she made her way to the boat, laid her bundle on the dock, climbed into the boat and began picking up wet fish one at a time and tossing them back into the water, at least those that didn't slip out of her hands. Several times the fins caught her skin as they slid by, producing small cuts that she didn't have time to pay attention to. As she worked, she tried to still her thoughts hoping the Aunt Dora was okay and the Tavern hadn't been a target this time. She also noted Dorian rounding up the Selkie skin. She wondered what he intended to do with it but there wasn't time to ask, only to act.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Keep this safe for Finn," Dorian said to his wife, and then got himself...carefully...into the boat. He rowed them to a place along the shoreline that was quiet and should not be easily noticed, then got out, splashed ashore, pulled the boat up and tethered it. He took his gaff and knife.

"Stay here, for now," he said to Maranda, "Stay quiet, and wait for me. I'll try to find Aunt Dora. If I'm not back at dawn, at the latest, you have to row along the shoreline, to get to another town."

He kissed her once, patted the cat, and set off into town to find Aunt Dora.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Embracing him in a fierce hug, the blonde fought for control as she spoke softly, her voice husky with emotion in her husband's ear.

"You keep yourself safe Dorian Drake and come back ta me soon." Spoken more as a command than a plea, she released him and smiled through the threatening tears, the enormity of the situation only now sinking through her shock. She stood in the boat watching his handsome figure retreat back into town until he disappeared from sight, then sank down on the seat and pulled her cape close around her shoulders.

Not yet recovered from the earlier attrocities rained on the city by the orc, the city was a maelstrom of destruction, large sections once again in flames. His path took the fisherman past the charred building he'd seen the shadow over, now fully engulfed in flames that would certainly reduce it to ash. Another volley of death from the flying ships shook the ground, accompanied by more screams and wailing. A mother sat on the street, the lifeless body of her young son clutched to her chest, her tear stained eyes staring blankly ahead.

The Laughing King still stood, untouched thus far with this round of violence. However, recalling the devastation rained on the tavern so recently, few had remained inside the structure, one of those a wizened old sailor now behind the bar amiably filling his mug. The kitchen was empty as were the newly built bedrooms upstairs.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

He was a pragmatic man; the dead were dead, and could not be helped. It was the living he sought, Maranda's only living relative in this vicinity, and his relation by marriage. He went on doggedly.

Dorian wasted no time and yelled for Aunt Dora. "AUNT DORA !" was the simple bellow, loud enough to carry across a good portion of water on a windy day. "AUNT DORA, WHERE ARE YOU ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"T'aint nobodies ta'home here," the old man barked back at the young fisherman. "Ye blind boy that ya can't see what's afore yer eyes. Lotta folks headed outta th'city walls as th'pirates is only bombin' inside 'em," he grunted and took another deep draught of his cup. And indeed, the building was empty save the old man and another three in the main room sleeping off the previous nights libations.

Outside, the streets were as congested, if not more so, with citizens racing here and there, trying to find protection from this latest rain of terror from the sky. One of the young women who worked in the kitchen ran up to Dorian, her long mousey brown hair uncombed and as wild as the rest of her appearance.

"Dora's not here sirrah," she offered quickly. "Once the noise started, everyone grabbed what was close and ran quick as you like. Only ones that stayed longer was Mr. Grant and some of the boys who gathered the horses up ta take outside the city walls thinkin' things might be safer out there. Not sure where Dora went, but she was not far behind me in gettin' out. She lingered a bit ta help Gallia whose heavy with child."
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian frowned. That wasn't good news. But he still had to look after Maranda. "If you see here, please tell her Maranda and Dorian are all right," he said. "We're leaving the city for a while too."

He then set off to tell Maranda the news. If she wanted him to search more for Dora, he would, but getting out of the city was important. He'd row the boat along the shore, put in further along, and hide it well....then try to find that hero. Maybe he'd be able to advise Dorian on what to do.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Frightened masses can be as dangerous as the threatened disaster and so the streets were almost treacherous with folks running wildly without thought to who they ran into or injured, only concerned with escaping the terror that had rained from the sky. The fact that the fiery volleys had ceased was lost on them. The sight of the airborne ships was proof enough that the city was lost and anywhere else was the place to be. Most of the crowds were running in the opposite direction from Dorian, headed to one of the three gates that let them out of the city to open land.

On one hand, that meant the shoreline wouldn't be congested with crazy folks trying to escape. On the other, it meant slower going for the fisherman as he did the equivalent of swimming upstream. Never enough to knock him down, the crowds kept bumping into Dorian and only one did he hear an apology, that from an old woman who was simply caught up in the flowing bodies and dared not stop lest she be trampled.

The closer he got to the gate leading to the docks and the shore, the emptier the streets grew. When he finally arrived back at the boat, Maranda's relieved smile greeted him and she ran to meet him.

"It's horrible in the city, isn't it?" she commented quietly and looked up into his deep blue eyes. "It's okay Dorian," she hugged him tightly. "Aunt Dora's got lotsa friends and those at the tavern that'll help take care of her." Turning him loose, she stepped back and looked up at the floating flotilla.

"Seems they're only interested in whatever is inside the city," she looked back at her husband. "Kings Court has had bad times of late what with all the rains and then the orc.... now this. Doesn't seem fair for so much bad to happen all in one spot," she shook her head.

Down at his feet, the gray cat twined herself around his ankles skitterishly, finally laying herself down next to his feet.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Aye, wife, it's bad enough in the city," Dorian agreed. "Best we clear out of it for a while then. I still have a mind to go find that old soldier, who might be able to tell me what to do. If I row out for a spell, and put up in the wilderness, the road should still be there. Do you want to come with me, or wait at the boat ? We should be able to find some kind of shelter."

He was easygoing enough that the loss of home and hearth was not insurmountable....yet he was still determined to try to get the city back. Why it was invaded, well, that was a matter for kings and suchlike. He just wanted a quiet life for himself and Maranda, with a place to keep her from the cold and a good meal ready for the eating of it. Old Nate Drake had kept life straightforward for young Dorian, so being distressed overmuch by the recent hard strikes of fate was not distracting him from his immediate goals.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

A quick glance at the airborn ships was followed by a vigorous shake of her head. "I'd rather go with you if you don't mind," she answered softly. "I'm sturdy enough ta keep up and..." she started before remembering that Dorian wouldn't be making breakneck speed on land given his sea legs.

"And I'd rather be where you are," she finished with a smile before turning back towards the boat. Daintily stepping into the wobbly craft, she held onto the edges as she made her way to one of the plank seats and settled herself.

"What'll we do with all our stuff?" she asked, looking at the blanket wrapped around their household goods as she waited for Dorian to get them underway.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Hide it, with the boat," Dorian replied. "Bury what we can, hide what we can't."

He rowed out, heading north along the shore, planning on at least a half-mile away. This was a big mess, to be sure, and there was nothing he could do by staying in the city, save get himself killed. So it was time to talk to someone who might have some solutions, and as a sidenote, get his wife well away from danger too.

"Worst comes to worst, we can set up somewhere else along the lake," he said. "Somewhere there's got to be a shelter, or I can make shelter. We just have to hope that Finn's going to be all right, and we can get her skin back to her, and that we can find Aunt Dora, of course."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Simply nodding at her husband's explanation of what would be done, she watched the shoreline slide by, the beaches mostly deserted which was odd at this time of the day. Occasionally, she thought she saw colorful movement in the woods that bordered the beach, folks moving away from the city letting the treetops shield them from the monstrosities in the sky above.

[hr][/hr]
(OOC: It occurs to me that I don't have a good sense of which direction Dorian is headed in. If you look at the world map: https://tazlure.nl/worldinfo.php?record=32 (click on the larger image indicated under the map), you will see that Roque is to the east and Brie and a river running north lie to the east. There would be some tributaries branching out as the river empties into the mer that don't show up on that map, waterways I am sure Dorian would at least know about even if he hasn't had the need to explore any of them. I was going to go ahead and describe your landing, but the direction your character heads in will make a difference as to what sort of location he ends up with! :) Let me know which way he is headed and I'll finish this post. )
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

IC: Dorian hauled the boat ashore, hiding it as best he could, and chose places to bury their other items that could not be easily carried. The blankets, the bucket, the knife and gaff would be needed. A major road ran north, along a river. That was the place he was heading to, as per his directions, and no doubt they would not be alone in abandoning the city.

OOC: roads in the undeveloped world tended to run along rivers and other water supplies, as people and animals needed water. At the end of the river (to the north, which is technically the beginning of the river, as all rivers save one in Our world run North to South. The odd river, btw, is the Nile.) So it is most sensible that there would be a road near the river, and since Dorian was told to go north, that the place he was told to look for would be on that road.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

This far from the city, the blasts were faint rumbles reminiscent of far off thunder. Even those had slowed and the last had been some time ago. Rowing rapidly to the east towards Brie, the fisherman beached the boat near one of the tributaries that emptied the great river running out of the mountains of Taquar, the elvin lands. Beside the river ran a road, not a major road as those were closer to the capital city, but sufficient for their needs.

Maranda helped hide the items while Dorian buried the rest and by the time the sun was overhead, they started up the road. Even this far from King's Court, the forest was oddly silent, missing the normal bird songs and movement in the bushes of small animals. Chatter was minimal as they trudged along and while they saw one boat floating down stream, they saw no others on the road.

Not able to travel quickly on foot, their progress was slow but the forestland noises picked up the further they moved from the great city. A quick movement of color flashed through an opening from one bush to another on the left side of the couple. The sun had arched across the sky and was sinking towards the horizon when the blonde finally spoke up.

"How far til we get there Dorian?" she asked. "I'm getting hungry," she added softly.
Last edited by Shaeliana on Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

"Half a day, he said," Dorian replied. "We'll stop a while and eat if you want."

He could eat fish raw, but knew Maranda would not be keen on it. "We'll need a fire," he added. "We only saved a few fish of the catch, just enough to carry. Can ye walk on, for another hour or two, or do you want to eat first ? Going through the forest probably slowed us up though." He was abysmal on land, and he knew it, slow and awkward.

He could wait, but then, Maranda was another matter entirely. The world spun around her wants and whims, as far as he was concerned.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

They'd already walked a long ways, but to stop now and build a fire would mean this would be as far as they went today and the need seemed to be to press further. Nodding her assent, she walked on beside Dorian. Occasionally, hints of color would flash by to the left or right of the couple, never there when Maranda turned her head to see what was colored so brightly.

Her own footing was much surer than the fisherman's, but her fortitude was not and a dull ache grew in her legs as they trudged on through the forest. Finally, the sun sank below the horizon and the blue sky darkened to purple and the stars began to beam forth in the night sky. Before long it would be too dark to see without light of some sort. Wearily, the blonde dropped her things onto the forest floor and sank down next to them with a sigh.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Post by Guest »

Dorian, never a big speaker, accepted this silently. He went to gather up twigs and branches from the ground, startling at the forest sounds now and then, and brought them to her. They could make a fire and settle by it, for the night. Perhaps tomorrow they'd find this dwelling and ask the man for information on what to do.

Right now though, it was his task to make sure his wife was fed, comfortable and safe. He set up the fire, ringing it with stones just as he would on the beach, and looked for some branches to use as spits for the fish. He wrapped the blanket around her shoulders and did his best to start and tend the fire, and dinner. Anyone looking to cause trouble in these actions was going to see the wrong end of a fisherman's gaff and Dorian's temper.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Dead wood littered the forest floor and shortly, the fisherman had a warm fire going. Maranda's thoughts kept wandering back to the attack on their city. The flying ships were rumored to be from World's Mouth, but why would they attack the capital city? It made no sense to her and so she kept trying to push it and worry for Aunt Dora and Marta from her thoughts as she nibbled at her fish.

The meal finished, she snuggled next to her husband, needing to feel his arms surrounding her with his strength. Tears she'd successfully held back all day, now began.

"I am sorry Dorian," she wept softly into his shoulder. "I keep trying to be brave..." her voice trailed off as she found comfort in the fisherman's arms. Short lived tears faded into a few shuddering sighs and then sleep. The night wore on and the moon began to rise, three quarters full, highlighting the landscape with soft silvery light.

As the two slept, the flashes of color that had on the edge of their vision most of the day, now boldly perched themselves in the air over the sleeping humans. Three small spots of pale warm light chittered softly to one another as they observed the sleepers.
- Andolin
[/i][/color]

Return to “On the Water Archive”