A Fisherman's Tale: Dorian Drake - Chptr 4 - Samheen 1

Moderator: Mods

Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Shaking her head, the blonde giggled at the fisherman's insistence that she eat if hungry.

"Uhmmm.. no, not hungry either," she giggled and settled into his strong arms for more morning hugs and kisses.

"I think I like waking up with you too!" she hugged him tightly and then turned loose of him and lay back in the bed so he could go take care of business.

There was no one outside and the fisherman had the whole area to himself save for a couple of squirrels chattering in a tree next to the house.

Post by Guest »

Dorian looked at the squirrels, being unused to seeing such creatures, and set about his task. Then back to the cottage, to gaze at Maranda some more in the soft, sappy fashion he had when she was about.

"What d'ye want to do today, my dear ?" he asked, fetching his shirt and shrugging into it. "I could go catch us some fish for dinner. Or whatever you please." His goal in life was to make this woman very happy.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Back inside the house, Maranda was still stretched out in the bed looking out the window. When the door opened, she turned to her side and propped her head on her hand smiling at Dorian. At his question about him catching fish, the smile vanished and she sat up and swung her bare legs over the side of the bed and looked at him questioningly.

"Ya want ta go fishin' without me?" she asked simply. Then, concerned that he might need some time on his own, she smiled and shook her head.

"No, that's silly of me. If ya want ta go fishin' well, that's what ya should do then," she giggled and got up, padding over to Dorian her bare feet making soft sounds on the floor. Standing on her toes, she kissed her husband soflty.

Post by Guest »

Dorian was used to being on his own, and working; four days without a clear-cut routine of work was stressful for him. But the sight of Maranda, naked, made such thoughts mellow out.

He gathered her into his arms, kissed her a dozen times, and then looked into her eyes. "That's what I do, wife - I fish. What will we have for dinner if I do not go ? And if you go out like this.......the faeries WILL steal you away, for being too pretty. But if you come along with me.....we might be too busy to fish.......so come on along, if you've a mind to. There will be long days when I am on the water, away from your smile, and that can wait. Today, we are together."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Giggling, she snuggled into his arms and kisses. "Yes, husband... when we're back in Kings Court, you'll go out on th'water and I'll go ta the inn ta work and just think about you out fishin'."

Deftly, she slipped out of his arms, moved to a small chest and pulled out some clothes. "I can wear clothes outside," she giggled again.

"After all, wouldn't want ta distract the fisherman from his duties," and she sat on the bed pulling on some breeches, then fished out a soft blue shirt and pulled it over her head. Tieing the bottom snuggly around her waist, she slipped her feet into her shoes and smiled at Dorian.

"Ready!" she grinned and grabbed their fishing poles from a corner and a small digging spade from out on the porch as they set off for the river to fish. Handing the spade to Dorian, she winked.

"I'll let ya do the honors of diggin' the bait."

Post by Guest »

"I will have to hope I don't fall out of the boat, thinking of your pretty smile," he said, grinning, and found breeches suitable to fishing; there was no way he'd wear the fancy clothes he got wed in. He wore his tarred rope sandals, and that was enough. But where do you find worms ?

"Where do I find worms ?" asked the fisherman, whose idea of bait was a bit different. Thus informed - it was setting Maranda up to be the Keeper of Knowledge already - he went to work, finding some bugs that looked good as well. Once they were set for bait, he set out to go fishing......well, after he rolled around with Maranda on the banks for a bit, kissing her and all..............

But eventually, since you couldn't keep Dorian from work, he got some fishing done. s well as talking. "I had a dream last night," he said quietly. "I think it was me, when I was older. You know that Old Drake found me in the water, after a very bad storm at sea; I was brought into the lake on the tides. But he raised me, so he's my father......but I dreamed I was talking to a dark-haired girl, who was my sister, and she was wearing a sealskin. And talking to me in the other language - that comes out now and then."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Giggling softly to his comment about falling out of his boat, the blonde sat on the bed watching Dorian change pants.

"Worms? I suppose you can find them most anywhere if you dig deep enough. But, they like moist dark places and then they'll come closer ta the surface. Under rocks logs near creeks, rivers... any kinda water."

After they'd finished a bit of kissing and other stuff, the fishing went very well. The seemed to have come when the fish were hungry and it seemed that as soon as had they tossed their hook into the water, it was hit by a hungry fish. Though Maranda lost most of hers, jerking too hard or too soon and yanking the hook right out of the water. More used to the rhythms of fish striking, Dorian managed to pull in over half of his though half of those he tossed back, judging them too small to keep.

When they were finished, it was time to sort them and only keep the largest few for their meal and clean them before heading back to the house. On the way back, Maranda sang a happy song and when the got in sight of the house, she started stripping off her fishy clothes and headed to a pump in back of the house. Kicking off her shoes and tossing the clothes down, she grabbed a bucket and some soap from nearby and started pumping the lever to fill the pail. Water still running, she stuck her hands under it and washed them before starting on her face.

"Can't do this sorta thing in the city, but here nearest neighbor's Uncle Thomas and he's half a mark away on horseback," she laughed and waved at Dorian.

"You comin' ta wash the fish off yer hands, husband mine?" she blew him a kiss.

Post by Guest »

"I'll need help," said Dorian, and went to hug her, grinning at her squeals about the fish scales and suchlike, and stripped down to nothing, himself. He kissed her there, naked in the yard, let her splash him down enough to pass muster, then set her over his shoulder, unable to bear it another moment.

"You're making my blood boil, Maranda !" he said, which was not news to her, as he was without clothes. And kissed her, then her chin, then the little hollow between her collarbones, and then lower. Dinner could wait !

But he was gentle, as frolicking turned to passion, and made love to her with a slow, sweet rhythm, wanting to hear her breath start to flutter and her heart pound, and know that he was pleasing her. In the glory of the setting sun, her cheeks rosy and her eyes glittering and hooded with those lovely lashes, he fell in love all over again.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

And squeal she did, but soon the squeals turned into giggles, which faded into soft murmurs of enjoyment as he hugged and nuzzled her. Determined to get clean, she grabbed the soap, lathered Dorian down and dumped the bucket of water on him to rinse him. Handing the soap to him, she let him lather her before dumping a second bucket of water on her. Another squeal turned into giggles when he hefted her over his shoulder and took her inside, the fish and cooking forgotten.

Once he set her down again, she smiled and ran her hands through his dark hair as he leaned in to kiss her making a trail down her neck, causing delightful tremors with his lips on her skin. His touch made her go crazy inside until she couldn't think, couldn't speak. Trying to tell him how much he meant to her, all she could get out was his name in breathless whispers as the delicious ache for him swelled and her whole world was only Dorian. Shared passions led to shared bodies ending in an explosion of sensations that left her shuddering and amazed that anything could be so blissfully wonderful. For a long while she lay cuddled next to her fisherman, not yet ready to let go of the wonder of having him near.

"I'm the happiest lady in all th'world, Dorian," she smiled and kissed his cheek. "I hope I make ya happy, husband mine. I hope I make ya happy all yer days," she kissed him again and softly stroked his cheek with her hand, gazing happily into his eyes. As the sun crossed over its noonish apex, the soft sound of a horse snorting and people singing reached the couple's ears.

Sitting up the blonde giggled, "Oh by the stars, that'd be Aunt Dora and Uncle Thomas!" Clambering off the bed still giggling, she rummaged around in the chest looking for some clothes to don, came up with a shirt for Dorian and some canvas breeches. Pulling a soft blue dress out of the bottom, she held it up and pulled it to herself.

"This was mama's… I wonder if it'll fit?" she giggled again and started to slip into it. A tad larger than the girl, she was able to cinch down the laces in several places and make it fit well enough. She'd no sooner gotten finished than there was a knock on the door, a cleared throat and her uncle hollered.

"Ya got company. Are ya decent?" He bellowed. Maranda looked to make sure Dorian was.. decent, then went to the door and opened it.

"Course we are uncle Thomas," she grinned. Sun's nearly half through the day, much to late ta still be sleepin' and besides we knew you were comin'," she smiled.

"In fact, we been fishin' and brought back lunch," she smiled triumphantly.

"Good, we're starvin'," her uncle smiled back and winked at Dorian. "Let's eat, then we can pack! Where are they?" Stammering, the blonde was left speechless and looked at Dorian hoping for some help.

Post by Guest »

"Ahhhhmmmmmm." stammered the fisherman, tucking his shirt into his breeches, his cheeks a bold shade of boiled-lobster red, "I think the fish're outside." He was unable to meet Dora's or Thomas' eye, too full of the memory of the joy of being with Maranda. He'd wanted to while away the day in her arms, listen to her breathing, run his fingers along the riot of blonde hair, tell her he loved her.........

....but there was company. "Er....I'll just, ah, see about the fish....." he tried to slide out of the room without looking so guilty as he was feeling, bumped into the jamb, and did his best to flee, barefoot, into the yard to find the fish again. Hopefully the squirrels hadn't gotten into them....who knew what squirrels ate ? Well, he could live without the fish today - he was hale enough to miss a meal or two, should the need be. He rescued the abandoned fish, rinsed them off in fresh water, and went to take them to Maranda, who was more of a cook than he would ever be.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"I'll go with Dorian," the girl spoke up as she followed him to the door. "Uhmm, ta dig some potatoes ta go with the fish. We weren't expectin' ta feed a whole family yet," she giggled and patted her uncle's arm as she left the room, her bare feet padding on the wood floor. Uncle Thomas gave her a mischievous grin and the two could hear Dora chide him as they stepped off the front porch.

"Ya shouldn't tease em like that Thomas. They're only actin' natural," she chuckled quietly.

"Aye, I know it," the man replied. "It's what makes it sa much fun now," and he did his own chuckling.

Giggling, Maranda caught up with the fisherman.

"I left my shoes out here, not ta mention all our clothes," she giggled again. "There'll be looks when I bring in clothes with the potatoes. But, uncle Thomas means nothin' by it. He was joined... got six sons ta prove it," she grinned and made her way over to an overgrown garden plot where she knelt down and began to dig potatoes while Dorian washed off the fish and took them inside.

Dora met him near the door and took them from him, "Nice catch Dorian. But that doesn't suprise me, you always have a good catch," she smiled and made her way to the fireplace where Thomas was getting a fire going.

Directly, the blonde returned with six medium spuds in the hem of her dress, their clothing slung over her shoulder and her shoes on her feet. Handing off the potatoes to Dora who looked at the clothes on her shoulder with a raised eyebrow, but said nothing, Maranda proceeded to fold them in a nice neat pile then sat at the table with Dorian holding hands.

The meal was quick and the afternoon quicker as they rounded up those items going to Uncle Thomas's house with Atson, and loaded those things going back to Kings Court with Maranda into Aunt Dora's wagon, save the things they would need that night. Though the girl could have had the house if she wanted, she still had no desire to stay here and live so the house would go to her brother when he was old enough to need it.

There was still plenty of daylight left however when all packed and ready for the morning's departure, company departed leaving the newly joined couple to themselves once again. It had been a hot afternoon and Maranda kept blowing and pushing strands of limp hair out of her face. After hugging her Uncle and brother and bidding them goodbye, she stood waving at them as they pulled out of the yard and headed down the road. When she couldn't see them any longer, she sat down on the shallow porch, enjoying the late afternoon breeze. Her characteristic smile was missing as she sat staring down the road.

Post by Guest »

Dorian was likewise limp, for when he got hot, he just jumped in the lake. This option was not available. He had lifted and moved and stacked and tied down, and all, for he had the muscles for such work. And was currently sprawling out, shoving a sweaty lock of hair out of his forehead.

Then he noticed the lack of a smile on Maranda. "What is it ?" he asked, gently, and reached out to hold her hand. "Sad, are you ? Or just hot and tired ? We could go jump in the fishing hole."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Taking his hand and giving it a gently squeeze, she looked at him as a small smile turned her lips up.

"Both I think," she scooted closer to him in spite of the heat and sweat and laid her head on his shoulder.

"Just feels strange. Atson goin' off with Uncle Thomas. He's a pest sometimes, but I've never been without him underfoot. Never thought I'd say it, but I'll miss him." Sighing softly, she hugged his arm then sat up and twisted round to look in his face.

"But I have you Dorian Drake," she leaned in and kissed him quickly. "I'm sure you'll be underfoot in no time," she giggled and kissed him again before standing up and tugging on his arm.

"Dip in the fishin' hole sounds good," and taking his arm, they strolled along.

"Ya've been really great with my family, Dorian. Ya don't know how much that means ta me and I know it hasn't been easy on you, being away from fishin' and all. T'morrow we'll be back on the lake and see cat and ya can fetch yer boat and go fishin'," she grinned and gently hugged his arm again.

"And ya can go alone while me and cat watch the house if ya like," she assured him as they approached the water. Stopping near the edge, she looked around at the woods around them as if she was looking for something.

Post by Guest »

Dorian gently settled his arm around her, trying to comfort her. "He'll be all right." he said, of Atson. "When he's older, and we've got a bigger home, maybe he'll want to come back to the city." He wasn't sure what he meant about her family; he had just been himself, with what manners he'd picked up along the way.

"Yes, I know there will be many days when I'm out fishing alone, and it's just you and cat......but you have your broidering to do." Work defined what he was, and he never went cold or hungry because of it. "We'll be fine."

But when she was looking about at the woods, he looked out there curiously too. "What's there ?" he asked. His limited knowledge of furry land animals was.....just that, very limited.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Taking one more slow critical sweep around the wooded area, her eyes searching it all, she turned back to Dorian and shook her head slightly, the faintest glimmer of a held back smile in her eyes.

"Just makin' sure there was no fairies round," she announced as she started peeling out of her breeches.

"After all that work, I'd hate ta be stolen away," she giggled and pulled her shirt off over her head as she kicked off her shoes.

"Last one in is dragon breath," she laughed as she headed for the water.

Post by Guest »

Dorian shed his shirt and breeches, and was stuck untying his sandals, so she was in first. He made up for this by splashing mightily into the water, and then chasing her around til she kissed him. It was a pleasant day; he was going home tomorrow; and Maranda seemed happy. He was also in the water, which pleased him, and reminded him of his dream.

It had been a strange one, for certain, but not unsettling. He wondered, as he floated and Maranda hummed a tune as she splashed around, if his sister was around still, or if she was lost in the storm where he lost his birth parents. He then wondered if his birth parents were alive....they must not be, else they'd have looked for him.......

He'd been happy growing up by the lake, learning the skills of fishing and rowing from old Nate Drake, and hearing the stories in that gravelly, wind-ruined voice. Nate Drake had raised him up very well, and Dorian's loss of his original parents was a long time ago, in a dim recess of memory that was only starting to surface now, like the liquid language. Perhaps Maranda, who was smarter than he was, had some ideas about it. Maybe Old Drake's fisherman pals across the water might know something. And then there was the Mer. This being too much mental processing for Dorian, he elected to get assistance. "Maranda," he said, finally, looking over at her as she paddled around, "What do you think the Mer want to talk about ?"
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Giggling at having reached the water first, she turned and splashed Dorian as he entered the water, her giggles turning to squeals as he chased her through the water. More at home in the water than the blonde, it wasn't difficult for him to catch her, nor was it difficult to convince her to kiss him. Practicing her swimming for a bit, she grew tired and tried to float like she'd seen Dorian do.

The water was cool and refreshing with the soft sound of the summer insects and birds singing around them producing a drone of gentle noise in the background. At the fisherman's question, Maranda moved over closer to him.

"The mer? I thought you were friends with the Mer and that's why they invited us down ta visit. Just a friendly visit. How did ya come ta meet the mer to begin with?"

Post by Guest »

"I think they want something - or they know something about me, before Old Drake found me." said Dorian, who was not the Mer da Luna's fastest thinker. "Maybe both. And.....I knew of them, since before I can remember, and Old Drake always gave them respect, but I never really saw any til........." He paused, because that wasn't right. "I saw them a long time ago, a lot, by the sea.........and lately, again. Now they're turning up a lot...or maybe I'm just more aware...." he paused, as this was Mental Overload for the fisherman.

He stared blankly at the sky for a moment. "The rings..let you breathe under the water," he added, at last.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

"Ya used to see Mer? When ya were little ya mean?" She paddled over next to him, her eyes full of excitement.

"You think yer family knew the mer too? That'd be great if they could tell ya somethin'. I'm glad they came back, for whatever reasons. It'll be such fun," she giggled and bobbed in the water next to the fisherman.

"Do you remember nothin' at all of yer family, Dorian?" she asked quietly. "How old were ya when Mr. Drake found ya? or do ya know? Was yer name always Dorian? Or did he give the name to ya?"

Post by Guest »

"Yes......." said Dorian, slowly, as it was a struggle to bring up those memories. "I knew them. And seals. I knew seals." He couldn't sort out why the seals were important. He just had the vague feeling they were, and the dream of his sister clad only in a mottled grey sealskin, like the sea-going seals............ "Sealskins. I remember sealskins. And seals. But it's bad luck to kill a seal.........."

He looked at her as she asked her soft questions, blue eyes troubled. "I don't remember much.......I know there was a storm, and that I was on the deck of a ship breaking up, and I was lost. I couldn't find my family. Old Drake reckoned I was about 3 years old, but that was a guess. He named me Dorian....from the sea.....because he fished me out of it. I was cold, and I'm never cold - he wrapped me in his slicker and rowed back to the docks. I had gotten hit on the head when the ship went down."

He paused a while. "I dreamed last night of my sister. She was wearing a sealskin.......I was young again, and she was older than me, but still a child. I was naked. Old Drake used to have a hard time training me to wear clothes.....I was naked when he found me. And I ate raw fish, and seaweed and oysters, all the time - he had trouble making me eat cooked food. And he had to teach me Common. I started remembering things......this past year. The language, it comes back. Memories come back. But Old Drake was my father; he raised me; I am his son." Said with the love that was in his heart for the old man, who had passed from life, but not from Dorian's soul.

He looked at Maranda, the confusion writ large on his face. "The Mer know something about me, from before. I don't know what. I just know I won't be able to forget it, I want to know where I came from."
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

It was the first time that the fisherman had shared much about his past with her and she could see why. He really didn't know much and what he did know seemed rather disjointed and … well, odd! Grinning at his comments about his father, Drake having to get onto him about wearing clothes, she wanted to say she thought he looked pretty good all wet and bare skinned, but didn't want to break up the moment and so refrained. There would be opportunity for that another time.

Moving next to him, she gently moved some stray strands of hair hanging on his forehead and smiled. "Of course ya need ta know yer beginnings… and those pretty words ya use. I s'pose the mer could know a lotta stuff about different places. I hope they come back real soon… though we likely need ta work for at least a few days, since we've been gone sa long."

"But I'm lookin' forward ta seein' the mer and their city and yes… the rings. Magick rings, that what they are. I bet a mage'd pay a lot fer one o'those rings and instead WE have them." She hugged Dorian and kissed his cheek.

"It's been fun here and in some ways it'll be a bit sad ta leave, but I'm really ready ta go home. Dania was close ta time for her baby ta come and Sarah was makin' a quilt for the babe and I've got embroidery work ta do," she giggled. "And then there is the mer ta look for and cat!"

Post by Guest »

Dorian knew better than to quickly sell the gifts of the Mer; they weren't given lightly. He'd kept the pearl for a reason, and it had become Maranda's dowry. "That pearl was from them," he said, gently stroking Maranda's lovely cheek. "And the rings - we'd better keep them. They're important."

He would be glad to return to work; out on the water, where his concerns were tides, wind, sun, and the denizens of the water. "It will be good to get back," he agreed quite readily. "I hope the Cat's all right." It was settled in his mind, since Maranda thought it so, that the Mer would tell him of his past and clear up the uncertainties. She was the brains of the outfit. He was strong, and good at catching fish. He kissed her, then paddled away, enjoying the coolness of the water. But that was sort of lonely, so he swam back and took her in his arms, for another, longer kiss. "I love you," he added, for good measure, since it was true.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Liking it next to the fisherman, she smiled when he came back and kissed her giving her the opportunity to wrap herself around him as she kissed him back enjoying the taste of his luscious lips. Her legs wrapped around his middle, she ran a hand gently through his hair and leaned back a little, holding onto his arms and looked at his handsome face.

"And I love you, Dorian," she replied softly, her joy at being with him reflected brightly in her eyes as she looked into his beautiful ones. Sliding her arms back around his neck, she snugged herself to him in a gentle hug, not pulling away when the hug was over.

"D'ya think maybe they're interested in ya because..." she spoke softly her warm breath falling on his neck. "Well, because yer mer yourself? I mean ya hear tell about mermen comin' ashore some times. D'ya think maybe yer one o' them somehow, Dorian?" she asked as her hands caressed his back, tenderly and comfortingly.

Post by Guest »

That made Dorian think. It took a lot to do that; he was a simple soul. "Hey......that woman that was on the shore, and the waterspout came and got her - " He said, with a comes-the-dawn expression. "SHE was a Mer. She gave me that pearl ! But -" fretfulness descended on his face, as he blinked at Maranda. "I don't know what I am, Maranda. I don't know." He sought the comfort of her arms, suddenly requiring some reassurance.

It was a scary thought. But Maranda was fully able to comfort him.
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Post by Shaeliana »

Legs still wrapped around his middle, she pulled her face back and looked into his eyes, hands on each side of his face and a warm smile on her face.

"We'll find out what we can from the mer. They'd certainly know if yer one o' them or not. Since ya started rememberin', I bet ya keep on," she kissed him softly and slipped her arms around him to hug him tightly.

"Whatever happens, we'll look t'gether," she tried to reassure him as she unwrapped herself from him and reached for the bottom with her toes. Overhead, the sun was well on its way to the horizon causing long shadows from the trees to fall across the water shading their swimming hole.

Nibbling on his ear she giggled, "Do fairies come out at night if we walk home like this? Be a shame to ta have ta crawl back in our dirty clothes!"
Last edited by Shaeliana on Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “On the Water Archive”