To the Heart of the Matter -- Gaeden Samheen 22nd (Late TT)

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Tristam

To the Heart of the Matter -- Gaeden Samheen 22nd (Late TT)

Post by Tristam »

Professor Vebhriul had proven very hard to track down over the last few days. The thick forbidding stone doors of his office remained closed and impassive to all attempts to open or call through. Whenever his location was asked about, Gaeden encountered only ignorance or information that sent him to rooms where the professor has just left or had never been.
Even his classes had been covered by other professors or advanced students. Gaeden was left to his own devices.

OOC: Give a summary of Gaeden has been up to for the two days between the last thread and this current one.

However, on this day as Gaeden was passing Vebhriul's office, he found that the doors were open a crack in invitation.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Summary of TWO days? :shock: Woaw. And do I get skilled those two days of hard and intense practice??? Please, oh godly mod? :twisted:

IC: It had been a while since the earliest encounter with professor Vebhruil and the interesting meeting with the magickal weapon. Gaeden had been occupied with classes and had subsequent to his arrival here learnt much of the intricate magickal plane. While he wandered the halls trying to find his individual mentor to find out more about the item he had been plainly rebuffed. Professor Vebhruil was nowhere to be seen or found. Surely he was not being avoided – the mentor simply had other and immensely critical meetings to attend, papers to respond to, and so on.

So the magling had attended his classes without the usual fire. He had behaved quite methodically and had not attacked (in unselfish manner) any of the other fledglings.

There had been much extra-time between the lessons, and even then had Gaeden pushed himself harder than ever. Although exhausted from the training, he had spent every flicker practicing and refining the magickal skills he inhabited. Among other things had he; hurled balls of fire, focused shadow and light and even water and earth towards distant and close walls. He had created shields consisting of both single elements and substantial elements to protect him. Gaeden had exercised both the mental shield (created and upheld by the will) and the physical shield (created from the fiery and living threads on the magickal plane). There were those who had watched him in the courtyard (OOC: I hope there is such here??? And I am trying not to control the environment and NPCs too much), Gaeden though had payed them no attention.

Deserted in his own quarters, he had even practiced “the tentacles of death”, which he had called his creation. He had woven the difficult pattern, and floated it in the chamber trying to control the direction of the arms and the deadly capsules. In the beginning he had not filled them with magick of death, but rather with the essence of life. This was to ensure that he did not harm himself or any unsuspecting visitor (not that there had ever been any of those, but Gaeden took precautions). Lately though he had inserted threads of ominous death into them and seen them blend into the arms and float on the fibres and into the far corners of his chambers.

Every night he had been completely drained, yet in the morning he had felt replenished. He had eaten well in the dining-hall. Still, any interaction with other fledlings in the Magick Guild was strictly reserved for the lessons. He walked to and from the classes by himself and when dining he seated himself by his usual table in a corner with a book or a parchment besides the meal.

Gaeden had lived a Spartan life, dedicating himself to the training. This way he would return to professor Vebhruil more skilled than before and could control more of the swaying energies. That would probably be acute upon his next encounter with both professor Valen and the item of immense power (OOC: Puhhh. Two days! :wink: ).

Finally Gaeden seemed to have unearthed him. The entrance to the quarters was slightly opened, and Gaeden readily accepted the obvious invitation.

“Professor? Professor Vebhruil?” Gaeden entered without waiting for a positive or negative response. He shoved the door open and strolled into whatever lay hidden behind there. He surveyed the surroundings once he came into the room and stopped just inside – shutting the door behind him with a quick push.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Gaeden Calmcacil wrote:OOC: Summary of TWO days? :shock: Woaw. And do I get skilled those two days of hard and intense practice??? Please, oh godly mod? :twisted:

OOC: That is indeed why you detail them. We don't want your characters to fall behind just because the mods make you time jump.

There had been much extra-time between the lessons, and even then had Gaeden pushed himself harder than ever. Although exhausted from the training, he had spent every flicker practicing and refining the magickal skills he inhabited. Among other things had he; hurled balls of fire, focused shadow and light and even water and earth towards distant and close walls. He had created shields consisting of both single elements and substantial elements to protect him. Gaeden had exercised both the mental shield (created and upheld by the will) and the physical shield (created from the fiery and living threads on the magickal plane). There were those who had watched him in the courtyard (OOC: I hope there is such here??? And I am trying not to control the environment and NPCs too much), Gaeden though had payed them no attention.

OOC: No problem. There are open caverns within the guild where students are encouraged to practice their magics. Watching each other work is not uncommon.

Deserted in his own quarters, he had even practiced “the tentacles of death”, which he had called his creation. He had woven the difficult pattern, and floated it in the chamber trying to control the direction of the arms and the deadly capsules. In the beginning he had not filled them with magick of death, but rather with the essence of life. This was to ensure that he did not harm himself or any unsuspecting visitor (not that there had ever been any of those, but Gaeden took precautions). Lately though he had inserted threads of ominous death into them and seen them blend into the arms and float on the fibres and into the far corners of his chambers.

Life and death proved to be rather elusive energies to work with. Neither was about in great abundance aside from his fellow students and the few decorative lichens and molds. The shadowy tentacles themselves however were coming along nicely. They required some time to form but once created, Gaeden was becoming quite proficient at sending them where he needed them to go. Allowing shadow to hold things was another stumbling block for a time. Weaving other energies into the shadow in such a manner as to allow easy release was difficult to achieve.

Finally Gaeden seemed to have unearthed him. The entrance to the quarters was slightly opened, and Gaeden readily accepted the obvious invitation.

“Professor? Professor Vebhruil?” Gaeden entered without waiting for a positive or negative response. He shoved the door open and strolled into whatever lay hidden behind there. He surveyed the surroundings once he came into the room and stopped just inside – shutting the door behind him with a quick push.

The Professor sat at his desk hunched over a long roll of parchment covered in spidery looking writing.

"Gaeden." He greeted him simply. "I hear you have been seeking me. So have many. Several of them about you." He looked up and fixed Gaeden with a hard stare. "Are things so easy for you that you must create difficulties?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Difficulties, professor Vebhruil?" Gaeden acted confused, well, he was bewildered. He had done nothing wrong according to his own estimates. The magling pulled the cord from his hair to let it fall down and cover his face, before he replaced it again to keep his facade unveiled. "What do you suggest? I have not created any difficulties. No, not me or any other I can think of. I do not recall any problems arising."

The magling looked around in the chamber to see what else beside professor Vebhruil it hid. He had been in here at an earlier occasion so this was not new territory to Gaeden. Indeed he felt quite collected and restored now that he finally had gotten hold of professor Vebhruil.

"Do you might telling me what those people have said - about complications? I do not think they are correct. I have behaved well since my arrival here at the Magick Guild," Gaeden exclaimed proudly. He raised his chin and looked straight at professor Vebhruil.

"Now I have come to continue my research on the Heart? I think I am quite more capable now and am willing to try to seek its hidden meanings under your guidance."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Vebhruil's office revealed little just like the mage himself. Every wall was shaped into bookshelves and each was filled with row upon row of books bound in nightblue leather with silver trim. Gaeden thought he felt a slight chill emmenating from them. The desk he sat at was bare aside from the scroll of parchment before him.

"Professors Durell and Valen have told me of your attacks upon fellow students and that you are generally a disruptive influence in their classes." Vebhruil states flatly. "Valen is amused by it and is rather curious to see if you will live long enough to grow into your arrogance." He looked up from his parchment. "Durell is now set against you. I do hope you never intended to study conjury and summoning here for that path is now closed to you." In all this, Vebhruil's tone is neutral. Gaeden cannot tell if he approved or not.

"All of that is yours to deal with on your own time." Vebhruil stated and swung himself out of his chair. He took up a staff that Gaeden must have missed in the shadows of a corner. The staff was of black stone and topped by a sphere of gray crystal. "It is indeed your time with the Heart." Vebhruil reached with the staff and touched three points on one of the bookcases. It swung open and Vebhruil led Gaeden into the secret passages of the Guild. "Have you given any thoughts as to how you wish to proceed?" He asked.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”