A Title Fit for a Beginning - Samheen 24th, late MT - Acies

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Cecilia had done more than caught up with her. She had overtaken her. Acies arrived at her rooms to find Cecilia bending over a travelling trunk. Rising up Cecilia beamed a bright smile and rushed over. She dropped into a deep curtsey before her and in a rush of excitement reached up and took her hands.

"Oh thank you, mistress! Thank you!" She gushed. "The surface! I can't believe I'm actually going to see it." She looked up at her hopefully. "Do you think we'll see trees?"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

"Trees?" Acies grinned back, for a moment nothing of the harsh mistress she could be, and everything of the excited girl eager to embark on an adventure. "Why, trees, and great mountains, and the sky! And clouds! Can you imagine?" She laughed, and bit at her lip a the thought - all the things they might see and do! It was almost overwhelming for it to happen so fast - and only joy registered at this moment, nothing of apprehension at her real task. Oh, that was a sobering thought. Enough to drain the joy rather suddenly from the situation - Cecilia may well be excited at the prospect of seeing trees - but then, perhaps the maid's task would be something far more pleasant and enjoyable than Acies' own. Oohing and aahing at trees and clouds and such was for those without proper work to do.

A certain calmness fell over Acies, a stillness that reflected her inner tension - and she controlled herself with an iron will and years of practice, staring in to the maid's eyes with an almost hard, aggressive look. "It will not be all sightseeing and fresh air, you know this. We will both have tasks to do, you and I both - and neither will be easy..." Acies realised the truth of these words as she spoke them with a slight jolt - an apprehension beginning to stir at the core of her. I only hope I am equal to the challenge. We shall have to see, I suppose. Perhaps it is right to be honest with the girl...? Or better to simply... use her abilities? It is hard to tell - but, now is the time to be honest, if there is any time at all. And those loyal are always useful, if they can be kept loyal. Yes, honesty seems the key - I must keep Cecilia close to me, if she is to be a useful servant in more than hairdressing and the like...

"You and I, Cecilia - we must stay close together - and we must have a certain trust between us. It is my duty to take care of you, and of your wellbeing when we are on the surface - and this I will do while I can. I only ask that you do not take unnecessary risks - for I will protect you while I can, but my duty lies first with the queen, and with my task." She paused, wondering if she were phrasing this even remotely well - but the words seemed to come naturally, and for once she abandoned caution in favour of speaking her heart, as close to that as she could come. "I asked for you, and you specifically, for a reason - and that reason is because I know I can rely on you," A meaningful look, nothing more than a moment, but certainly there, "And I hope I may continue to rely on you, Cecilia - for, if this is so, you shall be able to rely on me in kind."

Let us only hope to Molten she understands, the poor dimwitted girl - I will need her help on the surface, but it does not seem right to ask for such help directly... If she only knew what influence she really has. A great blessing she does not, or she might be more of a danger than an ally.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Cecilia's eyes widened and remained wide as Acies spoke. What is my mistress asking of me? This isn't being sure her dress is free of wrinkles or that her eggs have been cooked for exactly five burns or even making sure she and the handsome young noble are not disturbed. This is something more. But what?

In the end it did not matter. Acies was her mistress and Cecilia was her servant and that was all she needed to know. "I hope you can always rely on me, milady." She said sincerely. "In all things." She added. "If you desire me to stay close and not wander then I shall do so. I," Cecilia looked up into Acies's face. "I shall be guided by you in this mistress."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”