Gulanadur

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Gulanadur

Post by Maeve »

On Pan's Isle, one might find an entrance to a cave guarded by mythical beasts called Centaurs. However, it is not that they are trying to keep you out, but trying to keep what's inside from the rest of the world. For underneath lay the City Kingdom of Gulanadur, home of the Dark Elfs and newly open to trade with the Seven Isles. Living a life down here, can certainly make the weak stronger, or the rich richer. One just has to make it out to the light.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Cave Entrance (for those not starting within Gulanadur)

From outside Pan's Isle, a vast cave opening can be seen. Centaurs keep a watchful over the opening as if death itself would spring forth from it. It is through this opening that one finds themself in the City Kingdom Of Gulanadur.

Once passing through entrace, darkness consumes you for a few flickers until you are met, by the sight of The Spire, a gaint crag of rock which protrudes from valley like cave before you.

Stepping into Gulanadur, to what is commonly called the upper-tier, a Dark Knight steps in front of you.

"May I know your business?" He says this in many tounges to make sure that you understand
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Assassin's Guild

Perhaps the most unpleasing building to the eye in the all of Gulanadur is the Assassin's Guild. Situated next Dark's Knight Guild, what it lacks in beauty if makes up for in sheer size

The building you approach is one gigantic cube, unmarked for its purpose is well known, and large enough to house almost a hundred souls (However no one knows how many reside within). There is but one entrance way, a modest stone door facing in towards the spire.

Many rumors fly about what the training is like inside those walls, but the only ones who truly know, are the ones inside. It is rare to catch an assassin leaving his guild, and he will not utter a word about what takes place behind the lone stone door.

Beside that stone door a rope hangs from a bell latched above the doorway, ringing this bell will gain you entrance, but it will take much more than a curious whimsy to gain the company of what many say are the deadliest assassin's in all of Tazlure.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Spire

The Spire is situatated directly at the center of the bowl-shaped Gulanadur, and at the deepest of the safe depths. At it's lowest it is natural rock, rigid and not fit for habitation of those in Gulanadur.

Soon, the ridgid rock gives way to Gulanadurian masonary, which works with rocks, buildings set into the stone, but with adornments seeming to spring out from rocks itself. The outer part of The Soire is home to the four guilds of Gulanadur. Between these guilds great unrailed walkways span over the bowl to provide the only access from off the spire.

At the end of the walkway, of each walkway stands two guards, who monitor the flow of people to spire, and the intent of their visit.

As you approach you notice the lax guard looking at you, he is quite relaxed in his duties, for he is standing next to three guilds of martial training. "Can I ask your business in the spire?"

Once on The Spire, one begins to see the greatness off it, as they look up to large wealthlier hoimes, and the towering Noble Houses, the three Noble houses, are melded around the point of the spire, highest up, and there beauty goes unmatched.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Bazaar

The Bazaar is the center of commerce of Gulanadur. The everyday buying of goods here is what helps greatly to keep Gulanadur economicly afloat.

Most of the Bazaar does not consist of permanent shops, more of kiosks, or tents. These shops are run by individuals, however, they are only allowed to sell there goods as long as they also feature the goods of one of three merchant houses. So, that shop keepers may come and go, mostly the goods stay the same.

It is true, that the Bazaar holds mostly the mundane items of life. But a few exceptions can be found.

The Bazaar is perhaps the seediest place in Gulanadur, for where money flocks to, so do cutpurses. Also any many illegal trades go on in the havoc of the Bazaar, but one must know someone that knows something to get involved with that.

Yet there is eyesore amongst the Middle Tier, and the Bazaar, and that is the Merchant Houses. Staying close to there businesses, they have build guady houses, though they are built in the tradtional manner, and watch over the Bazaar and the entire tier with a wary eye. As one Merchant House gains more wealth and power, the more of this teir they can claim. It is a most unnerving sight for those merchant houses that struggle, as they can literally watch as there what they have worked be taken up by competition.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Temple of The Moonlady

This temple of course lays at the bottom of the Gulanadur, on the Temple Teir. It is the largest of temples, not out of pride, but out of need. The Moonlady is the main diety of those of Gulanadur.

However, the builders did not let the notion cross their mind of letting functionality get in the way of beauty.

The temple itself is a shallow, hallow mound, from above, it looks like a disc, or more accurately, the moon. The entrance is actaully several feet in front of the disc, and it leads underground for a few paces, so that no doorways, effect the beauty of this perfect circle.

After walking down the short underground hallway, one is met with a myriad of mirrors that decorate the walls, and ceciling. Bioluminiscent fungi lights this place of worship, and it's reflection off the hundreds of mirrors is sight to behold.

As one enters they notice an acolyte offering a bit of water, as the jury down to temple can be tiring for some, and they also notice two doors to the back, one door is where the clergy prepares there services, and the other is under constant lock and key. Few have seen what lays beyond that door, but it is rumored to be perhaps the most beautiful sight in all of Gulanadur.

Most clergy of Moonlady are priestesses, though men are not restricted in any way nor shunned. Priestesses, are of course very well versed in the practices of the Moonlady, and they have no prior requirements to become a preistess, most are in fact of humble background. This shown by the hospitality which the temple offers. Even after there Rasday services are done, many still sit on ground and converse with each other, of their religion, and of things the Temple and it's followers can do, to help further the Moonladies' message, and the balance of Gulanadur. For it is said, it is the The Moonlady that protects the dark elves from darkness of their curse.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Upper Teir

This is the most fertile aspect of Gulanadur, here mushrooms of all types flourish in the wild, and are grown and tended too. Also lichen and moss are found just about anywhere one would put their foot.

Mushrooms, and there many uses, make this area most important, and most of the workingmen and women find themselves here tending to mushrooms, and also livestock, which is aquired through trade.

However, almost all of this land is owned by the nobles, and the workers are allowed to live, and once gained a certain amount of tenure, allowed to harvest mushrooms for there own use, and selling.

Though this is great oppurnity, many of the farmers must walk a fine line with the selling of there goods, selling too much and becoming too wealthy will result in interest of the Merchant Houses.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Bottom Tier

Named The Bottom Tier, it is more commonly known as The Temple Tier, as it houses the temples of the three main dieties of Gulanadur. One must transverse the steps, made long ago, used by both noble and commoner to reach this region.

The temples surround The Spire, and not many other buildings are reside at the bottom, besides the temple, and preists and preistesses who have made small humble homes to be close to there temples.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Nobles Point

As one makes there way to the top of the spire, they come to what is called Nobles Point, this is the point, where no one may enter through the main entrances unless they possess a last name of; Devir, Scha'mar, or Ach-Lunar. Gaint walls, which block out any look at the Noble houses, and a great number Dark Knights make sure of this.

Commoners and others are shuffled to a side entrace, where a grim looking Dark Knight, eyes them for a moment before asking there business.

All the while, over head, the spires of the noble houses scream towards the sky, as if trying to race each other to the top. Though none, reach the same height of the actual Spire. Though some nobles have tried to have there own manors have spires higher than the natural one, masons refuse saying the rock will not allow it. Still, many think it will, and it is a matter of respect to the underground City Kingdom.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Noble House Devir

Behind the walls of Nobles point, lay the grandest manor in all of Gulanadur. Only three stories tall, but it encircles The Spire, like a ring around a slender finger. Housing some one hundred and thirty members of the family, and servants. The service of it manor is smooth to the touch, almost slipperly. However, it's trademark is something that surfacers might find somewhat ordinary: Thick panes of glass for windows, more than cosmetic, it helps to focus purple light from the outside and intesify it.

Four newly masoned spires are evenly spaced amongst the manor, in honor of the new queen, Ser'raquine Devir, her accension greatly impart to House Devir's constant power, and the power struggle that went on between the other noble houses.

Dark Knights line the manor at every twenty paces, special Dark Knights, that have taken a pledge to uphold the Queen's saftey at all times. These are some of the most lethal, warriors in all of Gulanadur.

Besides from the great protection, much can not be seen by looking at this noble house. With it's vast size, one must find some means of entrance, to catch a glimpse of any of these nobles. Especially the Queen, who is said to be a bit of recluse.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Noble House Scha'Mur

Considered the second most powerful house in Gulanadar, very much unlike House Devir, who have made their name through trade. Scha'Mur's defining talent is alchemy, a very lucrative business in Gulanadur.

Alchemy is a trade based upon knowledge, and business espoinage is what Matron Scha'Mur fears the most. Thus, their manor is about as well hidden away as a noble place can be. At first glace, it looks as though a mason failed to finish a large project, but in fact, it is only a few paces of manor, the rest resides within the mountian itself.

Many think that because of lack of guards on the outside, that security was inside this Noble House must be near perfect.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Noble House Ach-Lunar

Home to the oldest citizen of Gulanadar, Matron Ach-Lunar, this noble has is one of the few houses that has been erected with the good and will of the people behind it.

Ach-Lunar deals mostly with quite moral aspect of Gulanadur, gaining there power at first through medicines, and other specialized herbs. Yet, the rise of this house is manly do to the common dark elf of Gulanadur. House Ach-Lunar worships the Moonlady, like most of the Gulanadur, and citizens see them as there voice to the nobles.

The people are right, most of the family are good people, and Ach-Lunar is known for it's generousity. Proven by there small meager home, in the shape a crescent moon, in homage to there diety. One could easily pass it off as a home of a wealthy merchant.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Merchant House Elamshin

A short history of The House of Elamshin, will paint an entirely accurate picture.

It is the only house of importance where a male runs the house, it is said that Raman Dougahls married the former matron, only to have her killed to take over the house. However, to his dismay, before he could have his wife assassinated a child was born, a female. The head of the house is for her, but Raman takes many measures to make sure she is kept under wraps and out of the loop.

This being known, it is not a surprise that this merchant house deals mostly in illict means, blackmailing, poisions, and even taking in some Assassin Guild rejects for hitmen of there own.

The House of Elamshin, can be found on the Middle Teir. It boasts one of the most guady houses in all of Gulanadur, complete with metal gates, guarded by mercanaries.

It is known that the Elamshin is not the greatest of merchant families, and some wonder just how they still in business.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Merchant House Maerret

This house has the masonry business cornered, though masonry in Gulanadur is much different than any human would go about it. The elves use magic, to reshape the stone, never taking away from it, or adding to it. In an environment such as this, this skill is highly sought after, making Maerret a fierce competitor with D`Altamooriana.

Since only time and a some effort are required to do dark elven masonary, Maerret has the most beautiful of all structures on the Middle Tier. Those from the surface, this is the closest look they get at the dark elves true masonary talents.

Guards stand relaxed underneath a finely masoned arch and watch the citizens of Gulanadur go about there daily business.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Merchant House D`Altamooriana

The strongest house of merchants it is back to full force, after a fire which claimed many of it’’s core family members (still unknown if this was attack or not). D`Altamooriana deals a great deal in arms distribution, dealing with all guilds except the Assassin’’s Guild directly. Most of there average weapons can be found at the bazaar, but it one must pay a visit to the house itself, to find the truly exotic weapons they are known for. In the respect of weapons, this house does act independently from it’’s noble alliance. However, they do work in conjunction with Ach-Lunar, with producing magic potions, scented oils, and other delicacies produced from the unique and various mushrooms of Gulanadur.

It is perhaps the most open of merchant houses, for they do there own higher selling within the house. If one dresses the part of a rich buyer, than the guards usually give them no trouble, as they try to entire the manor which can only be described as large wilted pyriamid.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The First Tier's Inn

This inn is one to be found directly after entering the cave entrance. As far as traveling inns go, this was up to standards, for this was mostly a traveling inn. It was used mostly by traders from the service, or a down on his luck dark elf to get a little work, helping unload or load wagons.

There was a small common room, with maybe four or five tables. Amazing kept up, in fact a bar maid was begrudingly whiping one down. The look of distaste of working for a human on her face, than the fact that she was cleaning. There was a sit of stairs of to the left, and directly in front of you is a man behind the counter, called Tylen.

It was obvious he was the one to see about a room or a drink, however, there was never much to eat here--while there was, but it was just three different stews rotating every three days.
Tristam

Temple of Anasati

Post by Tristam »

The Temple of Anasati

The Temple of Anasati, the goddess of Darkness and Death, is set deep within the cave rock, the entrance is a simple doorway with two sculptures tilted toward the ground are all that mark this Temple of Death.

The Doorway leads into a long hallway, well lit, with the light giving fungi. Once the long hallway is transversed, one is met with a well-scarred dark-elf with several small cloth sacks, before one is allowed to step any further all weapons are placed into these sacks.

Beyond ahead are double doors, where a light, bright to Dark Adhiel eyes, shines through cracks of the doors.

Much mystery surrounds this temple, for just months ago, it was in shambles, but within those passing days, the temple has seemed to reconstruct itself.
Last edited by Tristam on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”