The Magic Guild Entrance Hall- Samheen 20th

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Tristam

The Magic Guild Entrance Hall- Samheen 20th

Post by Tristam »

One could easily pass by the Magic Guild and not even know it was there, save for the doorway which leads inside. The guild is virtually camoflauged, but not for the normal purposes, but out of beauty. It was said when it was built, the head of the guild wanted it to reflect the natural beauy of Gulanadur.

And the shapers respected that wish, by making a tall craggy pyriamid, that blends right into the natural rock, making it look like any other formation that can be found in the City Kingdom.

Functionally, is the only thing that gives it away, as a large set of double doors reveals the entrance, though those doors remain open most of the time.

The Magic Guild has a reputation of being the most open of the guilds, often letting folks walk around certain allowed areas.

As one walks in they will enter a very long hall, with sculpture muriels decorating them, look away for a few burns, and you will find a new sculpture amongst the walls, as study are encouraged to practice manipulating the stone along these walls.

At the end of the hall two sculptures spring from the wall, a male and a female, looking as if to reach out for each other, this moment in time was captured so well, that it is the only section of the entrace off limits to new sculpting.

Finally reaching the end of the entrance hall, a somewhat baffling sight is seen, a dim white light illuminates a grand foyer.

A lovely dimuntive dark elf, sits at a desk reading, and looks up and smiles as you approach.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ashkan had been given very little preparation time by his parents, and as such, most of his belongings were stored in his satchel or backpack. The dark Adhiel cringed as he thought of his wrinkled and bundled clothing. Towing his life, Ash approached his destination. It was not his only option to join the Magic Guild, but in his mind, it was the best. He had a grudging respect for the Dark Knights, and he really despised the assassins. It seemed would-be assassins sprang from the very stone of the basin itself, encouraging children born there to kill for money. Ashkan had a thought in mind, if he could learn how to protect the rich and powerful from their silent foes, perhaps he could finally make it out of the poorhouse, where his father and mother had placed him. As the young Adhiel entered, he squinted his intelligent blue eyes.

Ash wasn't surprised, as he had been there quite often during the Rasday perfomances, but the light did bother him a little, compared to the relative perpetual dark of the Temple Tier. Smiling, he approached the desk, his worldly posessions dangling off of straps about his body.

"Namaste! How are you? You may have seen me around once in a while, I am Ashkan Olath'barra. I seek to further my learning, but I am not sure if I meet all of the requirements...could you remind me what I need to fulfill?"

Ash couldn't exactly place the clerk in his memory, but he was sure they had caught eyes once or twice. Ashkan was usually quiet and alone during the performance. He hardly ever took time to examine the sculptures, though he had respect for the arts he lacked. Mostly he watched, occasionally stepping outside for a smoke. Truthfully, Ashkan had already memorized the requirements, he just wanted to talk it through with someone, in case he was wrong. One needed interest, a bit of prior knowledge and literacy, and a cold two crown. From what he could tell, the adhiel had all of that, though his literacy was weak, and his knowledge faint and obscure. He was still a bit in shock about his parents retirement, but he had to take care of his responsibilities. Hopefully it was a boarding school, or he would be sleeping outside and attending classes when he could. Ashkan had to follow through on his calling, it was one of the few things he was passionate about.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The girl behind the desk puts down the scroll she was reading and greeted him with an amused smile. "You already know the requirements and I assure you, you've meet them." She looked at him for a moment then her smile grew wider. "Alchemically trained already. You exceed the requirements then."

She swung down from the stool she was on and Ashkan could see that over her black dress she wore a purple sash with several patches sown onto it. "Well we'd better get you signed in. I believe Master Grond is the one at Registration this tide. Just a moment." She closes her eyes and furrows her brow in concentration. A few burns later she opened them and smiled prettily at Ashkan again. "He'll be here presently. I'm Anell by the way."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ashkan smiled at the girl as she caught him in his playful query. He may not have remembered who she was, but she had seen him. She even knew about his herbalism. His smile widened as he wondered about Rasdays of wine-tasting and entertainment. He wasn't exactly sure who or what he might have done. In any case, Ash was a coy sort and tended to get social with a bit of the red in him. Such comforts might be slim, or at least lower in quality now that his parents decided to cut him off. It didn't matter now, all that mattered was his future in the Magic Guild, his meagre posessions draped about his body, pathetically small. He had indeed whizzed away his former allowance. Gah! It was no use to think about that. Ash found comfort in simply looking to the girl, when she informed him of what needed to be done.

"Well, I don't know much about alchemy, I just gather and mix for my enjoyment."

She then proceeded to concentrate, scrunching her face up. Ashkan couldn't help but to stare while her eyes were closed, before accidentally diverting them too late when she came back from her zen trip. Okay, maybe he meant for her to see, but she didn't seem to ruffled as she introduced herself. Ash could only assume that she had somehow communicated to the Master while her eyes were closed. Master GrondHe thought on it a second, grinning at the girl. She was frisky, he liked that. Perhaps it was her job to be so friendly. Eh, at least she was good at it.

"Well, Anell, do you study here? I couldn't help but notice that you didn't run anywhere to summon Master Grond."

It was comforting to flirt a bit, but deeper Ash was afraid of his new life. He was nervous about meeting a Master, as well as this new world of dilligent study. The only way to do it was to do it, though. That was all there was to it. Ashkan just had to wait for the future.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Of course I study here. They couldn't pay a non-mage enough to handle the uniqueness of the Magic Guild." She chuckled. "The easy way to tell a student from a professor or a confused person that wandered in by mistake is the sash." Her hand comes up to the one she is wearing. "Yours will be white to show your pure beginnings. The purple shows that I am an advanced student, and this," Anell points to a patch on her sash that shows three eyes, "shows I am training in mentalism. Which is why I didn't have to go anywhere to fetch Master Grond. He doesn't care for that, but the Headmaster finds it convienient for the doorkeeper not to have to leave her post to summon people."

"But enough about me. What finally convinced convinced you to take the first steps into a wider world?" Anell asked him. "I could find out myself but I am told that is impolite." She grinned impishly at him.
Last edited by Tristam on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ashkan still smiled as he spoke, but he wondered how welcome he would be if she knew his religious affiliation. Anasati was feared and respected among the denizens of Gulanadur, but not well liked. It make Ash uncomfortable to be in the presence of someone who could simply pluck information from his mind, but it seemed she would exercise restraint. When she was through, he answered.

"Indeed. I suppose that makes sense. Well...I have always been interested, but recently it became necessary for me to strike out on my own, and carve out a piece of the world for me. The Magic Guild is the only place I can see myself enjoying life while I do that. I like hard work and the rewards are obvious."

He meant power, but he didn't say. Ashkan was still an applicant, and it was about fitting in, explaining about how he wanted to grow powerful and venture out of Gulanadur was probably not the best option. If queried, he would simply reply.

"Great knowledge and skill, and the ability to make miracles."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Many of the rewards are not obvious." Anell replied. "So are many of the costs." She paused for a moment then shook her head to clear it. "Still, I'd not trade this life for any other." She smiled at him once again.

"Talking his ear off already Anell?" A kindly voice asked from out of the shadows of the hallway. Into the light shuffled an aged adhiel wearing a robe of deeply hued purple with ebon trim. He moved slowly but surely towards the pair of them. "Terrible this one. Can't even gag her, she'll just talk right into your brain." He smirked at Anell. His body might be old, but his gray eyes sparkled with mirth.

Anell stood up primly and stuck out her tongue at him. "Master Grond, this is Ashkan Olathbarra. He wishes to join the guild and meets or exceeds all the requirements."

"Excellent lad." Master Grond nodded to him. "All that is left is to get to know you hm? Walk with me." He instructed and turned to lead him deeper into the guildhall. "Have you given any thought as to the kind of magics you wish to learn?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Anell was a clever girl, perhaps too clever, but it was fun to chat with that sort. After a moment or two, Master Grond showed up and was rather informal and jovial toward both the girl and Ash himself. He greeted the man with a smile.

"Oh, she's no problem. Greetings Master Grond, thank you."

He smiled to Anell and spoke, before following the teacher of magic, and leaving her to her post.

"We should run into one another later."

Master Grond asked him a simple question, yet worth much consideration. He had seen a few of the demonstrations and whatnot, so he could tell one or two, but he had thought to consult someone, and who better than the Master himself? Ashkan thought for a moment before speaking.

"I am not really too familiar with the arts. I was hoping to ask about that very thing. I would really like to know what all is available before I make a decision, could you run me through that?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Such a question." Master Grond chuckled. "Most breakdowns of magic are by necessity artificial. To a skilled magician, only the imagination limits what can be done. Still, every instructor here has their strengths and weaknesses. Some break it down by the type of energy used. So you have the Elementalists, The Mentalists, The Illusionists and so on. Others break it down by the end results. That gives you the Contructionists, the War Wizards, The Wardens and a host of others. Every student gets training in the general theories of magic followed by the opportunity to work basic manipulations, lighting a candle with summoned fire or blowing one out with summoned winds. We always start you off with energies that want to move you see."

He chuckled once more. "After that you are free to move from class to class picking up skills and patches as you go You can also seek a mentorship under a Professor when you are ready to focus your studies on a particular area. Oh, and we also offer workshops in alchemy, meditation, and languages for those not already conversant in such things."

Master Grond paused in his walking to look back at Ashkan. "Does that make things any clearer?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ash nodded to the Master and smiled. He himself decided on dividing the magicks into types of energy used, but he wanted to be versatile. Initially though, if there was one thing he wanted to study, it would probably be elementalism. The Adhiel said as much to the man.

"Well, Master Grond, I would definately like to pursue alchemy, it's one of my favorite hobbies, and I'm afraid I have only he most basic knowledge of the written word. I also have a basic understanding of meditation, but really I am just looking to study everything I can. Elementalism will probably be my first choice, but there are just too many options!"

Ashkan had no idea how long he would spend in this institution, or how quickly he would learn. In any case, at least he was going somewhere, perhaps if he was quite elaborate as to what he wanted to do, the Master would help him. Ash continued.

"Also, sir, I was hoping to learn how to enchant things, and perhaps study some mundane art or craft. After all of my initial study is over, I want to be a merchant craftsman, while I pursue the arcane. In any case, I am ready to start whenever is appropriate."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Master Grond nodded along as Ashkan spoke of his future plans but at the last he turned and stooped down to look Ashkan in the eye.

"Get one thing straight lad." Grond began sternly. "The magic comes first here and always. Never will you be a merchant craftsman that happens to use magic. You will be a Crafter or a Magesmith that happens to sell your wares. To speak of it as you did cheapens you and demeans us." Grond stared at Ashkan a moment to let the point sink in and then smiled at him.

"Now, as to your ambitions, there are those within the Shard of Crafting that would delight in such words from an apprentice. Be aware though that you would face a road doubly hard. Any lessons in the craft you choose comes in addition to your magical studies. You get no special treatment from your other tutors."

Master Grond made a gesture in the air and a white sash appeared in his hand. "You will wear this at all times with in the Guild halls. It indicates your rank within the guild and these patches upon it indicate what your are trained in or have interest in learning." On his sash was three patches, one with a bubbling cauldron, one with a hammer and wand crossed, and one with the four symbols of the elements.

"We are approaching the White Rotunda where you shall be staying." Master Grond informed him. "It is likely you will have to share your room with another student. The quarters here have never been plentiful."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ashkan started as the man repremanded him. He hadn't meant it offensively, but apparently the Master was quite upset with the statement. The dark Adhiel tried to explain, though it may have been too late.

"Master Grond...I only wanted to make it known that I am passive. I don't wish to be a battle mage, or a destructive force. I want to make useful and benevolent magicks that everyone can use to improve their lives. The only mundane craft would be for the sake of appearance, but I would never take my studies for granted. Forgive my words, I spoke wrongly."

Ash looked down to the floor, he would not make any further statements of his case, if it was to be dropped, so much the better. Ashkan's eyes couldn't help but flash with surprise and wonder when the older mage conjured a sash, explaining its purpose. They moved on to more civil speech, and the new student was thankful for that indeed. Master Grond seemed apologetic that Ash might have to share quarters, but the truth was that he was lonely. He spoke once more, quietly, and chose his words carefully, as he wore the sash, as he had seen Anell's, glancing at his badges.

"I would welcome a chance to meet another student, Master. I am sure the arrangements will be most accomodating, judging by the entrance hall. I only ask for a place to rest my head when not working or studying."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"It is good you do expect much from the accomadations, for you shall get what you expect." Grond chuckled. He knocked on a door and hearing no answer opened it anyway. The room is barely large enough to hold the pair of beds and desks that take up much of the space. One bed and desk has clearly been claimed by another

"The other student here is named Gaeden Calmcacil. He has joined us but recently yet advances in his studies well. Should he be so inclined he would be a useful resource in helping to get your bearings." Grond made another gesture with his hand and presented Ashkan with a scroll. "This is listing of current classes offered. The introductory class on grounding and centering is required before all the others. You should find one just starting if you walk briskly." Grond informed him.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Ashkan smiled as the Master joked, but he had known what dorm rooms looked like before, and had already come to terms with the monetary sacrifices he would be making when he joined. It was better than his parents, who simply told him they didn't have room for him. A bed and a desk and some magical training sounded pretty good after that information. The dark Adhiel listened intently to Grond's description of his room mate, and tried to commit the name to memory.

"Thank you, Master Grond, I will certainly remember to ask him politely."

Setting his meager posessions upon the bed that was unclaimed, his eyebrows furrowed, then raised when he heard he was starting his first class right then. Absently, he grabbed the scroll lightly from the older Adhiel's hand, and spoke.

"Thank you again, Master. Could you give me directions to the correct room?"

After waiting for a reply, and getting an idea of where he was going, he headed off, walking quite briskly. Ashkan didn't want to be late to his very first class. Running through all the information the Master had given him, he checked for the introductory grounding and centering classroom.

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”