The TrailHunter's Guild: Samheen 22nd

Moderators: Tristam, Mods

Tristam

The TrailHunter's Guild: Samheen 22nd

Post by Tristam »

A meager building set at the edge of The Spire, consisting little more than stone masoned shanty. The small building could probably hold no more than five or six people, but more are gathered outside, a surprisingly wide group of races considering the location.

Their business is one of Kingdom, those with a trade who leave Gulanadur most pay a tax back to the place that provided them with there skills. If these dues are not paid, a Trail Hunter is called out. The job is to bring the money back, or the offender alive.

Outside the group, most probably all Trail Hunter's stand at the doorway causing quite a din, as a few men from the inside hold out pieces of parchament, no doubt bounties.

Hardly anyone gets a second look approaching this building, until the bounties of the day are all handed out and the crowd heads away.

Still, an adhiel stands in the doorway, looking out, "Is there anything I can do for the rest of you?"
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Yay, first post! I took a couple of liberties in describing Yshna's morning before she arrived at the Guild. I won't do it again, but just wanted to give a little background. I hope it's ok, but if not, let me know and I'll delete a couple of paragraphs.

It was mid morningtide by the time the young Adhiel, Yshna, edged her way through the crowd outside the TrailHunter's Guild. Yshna enjoyed mornings (not that morning had much meaning in a world where the only natural light came from the purple glow of the crystal river). Early morning in the K'mirel household was about the only time one could get a modicum of peace.

If you were careful.

Unfortunately, Great Great Great Uncle Astar (did that man never sleep?) caught Yshna as she grabbed breakfast and proceeded to give her a full mark lecture (short, by his usual standards) on the decadence of today's youth and their weak Moonlady worship. Thankfully, it wasn't the one on punishments any traitors to House K'mirel and Anasati could expect to receive should they stray from the true path.

Gods, that man gave her the creeps. Anyone who could wax lyrical on the shrieks of the tormented as they underwent an eternity of hot needles, dark poisons, thumbscrews and gods kow what else was someone Yshna tried to give a wide berth.

Eventually she managed to escape and after a while of traversing the streets and paths of Gulanadur, she was here, close to the city's heart at the base of the Spire. Clad simply in an off-white shirt, dark brown breeches with a jerkin stuffed into the bottom of her satchel along with her purse and a knife she only really ever used to harvest mushrooms, she made an unremarkable addition to the rowdy group outside the guild.

But there she was, and, despite efforts to quell her sudden nervousness, her heart was flopping over and over like a landed fish and her palms damper than the mere moist air of the undercity warranted.

Squeezing her way through the crowd, the young Adhiel finally made her way to the door.

"Namaste," she greeted the Adhiel in the doorway. "I'd like to join the TrailHunter's Guild."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The young man in the doorway pauses for a flicker or two. Clearly this was not the answer he was expecting from such as her.

"I see miss." He cleared his throat. "Well then I shall need to know your name, what skills you bring that the Guild could use, if any; and what experience you have with the upper world, if any."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Seeing the hesitation in the other Adhiel, Yshna's brows twitched in the briefest of frowns. Why had he paused? They wouldn't reject her, would they? That would be incredibly, incredibly embarrassing. Her family would never let her hear the end of it if she came home with her tail between her legs... The young Adhiel's eyes flickered around at the other trail hunters milling around the building. Am I so out of place...?

She squished her doubt beneath a mental boot. First things first.

She took a deep breath. “My name is Yshna K'mirel. I'm a fair hand at moving quietly and hiding.” From pesky cousins and siblings... “I can also climb and am a fair runner. I also have some training in martial arts. And I can speak a little of the human tongue.” Her lips quirked with a crooked half grin. “I haven't had any experience with tracking, but I hear you provide training for that. As for my experience of the upper world, I can't say that I've had any; but it's a place I've always wanted to see.”
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The adhiel hummed thoughtfully. "It sounds like you would indeed be of use to the guild. Though you were misled on one point. The tracking training is something you learn on the job by convincing a member of the guild to take you along on their assignments."

The fellow fished through the papers in his hand. "Here you go. A nice starting assignment for you. A travelling peddler named Harrick Elamshin has returned to Gulanadur. He had nothing of value to declare when he entered but the word in the tunnels has him spending great amounts of coin in celebration. Bring him or his money purse to us so the crown can determine its cut."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

Yshna nodded and thanked the adhiel. Eep...talk about on the job training. A pity it's not an above-ground assignment, but I guess you have to learn to crawl before you walk... At least it's only a peddler and not a rogue assassin...although he is of House Elamshin...so I'll probably have to be wary of poisoning if he's not going to be nice about being brought in...

The young adhiel dragged her mind back from the paths of speculation better traversed when she had more information on the man. “Is there anything else I should know? Anything about where he's likely to be, any time limit on the assignment...” The girl grinned. “And pay?” Not that pay was that important, but it was nice to know these things.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"You get a percentage of what you bring back at start." The adhiel replied to her last question first. "Once your more established you'll get your bonuses and bribes to entice you to take on a particular job."

"They are always wanted in yesterday. As soon as possible." The adhiel punctuated his words with a tap of the quill on his parchment. "He was last seen carousing in the Spire Bridge Inn. From the stories I've heard you might be lucky and catch him sleeping it off."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Post by Guest »

“Right,” Yshna nodded and didn't press for what exactly the 'percentage' would be, though the merchant trained part of her shifted restlessly. Hmmm, maybe if I earn enough, I'll be able to move out and find my own place...

“Thank you for your help. Sorry, I don't believe I caught your name...?” When (or if) she received it, she thanked him again and headed back out through the crowd, mind focusing in on the task ahead.

The peddlar was probably at the Spire Bridge Inn, so said the other Adhiel. And if he was sleeping it off, he'd probably be staying in one of the rooms. The Spire Bridge Inn was too well-to-do to leave drunk customers sprawled over the tables or out on the streets. Nor would they welcome trouble or bar room brawls. Nevertheless, Yshna retrieved her knife from her bag and looped the sheath onto her belt where she'd have easy access. Not that she intended to use it, as all she knew about dagger fighting was to hold the blunt end and poke the enemy with the sharp end. But...just in case.

By the time the young Adhiel's brisk footsteps brought her close to the inn, her heart was pounding with nervous energy and her hands were sweating again. She closed her eyes for a couple of flickers and took several slow deep breaths to calm herself before she surreptitiously examined the exterior of the building from across the street while ostensibly rummaging through her bag. She'd dined at the Spire Bridge Inn a couple of times, but had never stayed in the rooms, or had cause to climb up or down the walls so she'd never really looked at it... If she was lucky, this Harrick Elamshin would be in a room with a window facing into an inconspicuous alleyway... if not, well, she'd find another way.

When she was satisfied she had the building scoped out, she took another deep breath and entered the inn.

Moonlady grant me luck! Gods knew she'd need it...
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Gulanadur Archive”