Slow site access

For all your questions and concerns about the website, forums, charactersheet creator, etc...Please come here to report any bugs or glitches you discover!
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Slow site access

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

I am experiencing some severe problems in accessing the site. These started about 7-10 days ago - before that my access was generally very fast (I am in the UK and have a fairly fast broadband connection).

The problem seems to be site specific in that it is only affecting tazlure (all other sites seem to have no problem). It also seems to be time dependent - it seems to suddenly occur late afternoon and last most evenings. My access slows to a crawl with pages taking literally minutes to load. This seems to suggest to me that it is a traffic related problem but I'm no expert on these matters.

Any suggestions that might help or do I have to hope the problem goes away as sudenly as it arrived? Has anyone else experienced such a problem recently?

Post by Guest »

I have once or twice had an odd occurrance where Tazlure refused to load - but that may have just been really really slow like you're describing, I closed the window after a little while. It actually happened to me mid-browse - had half-loaded a page when it stopped loading and I couldn't load any other Tazlure pages...

There was also a very very slow loading of a thread's contents on the school computer today for about a minute; after a little while, speed snapped back to normal.

It doesn't affect me very much though so I'm not worried about it personally.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

I've noticed one or two "burps" in the server yesterday, but nothing that lasted beyond a minute or two.

Your problem might be with a router which can affect one site while you can still access others.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

Hmn.

Try restarting your PC, if that doesn't work, try optimizing your browser by deleting cache and cookies. It might work, I'm not quite sure about that.

What browser and OS do you use, BTW?
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Guido Cercatoro

Fauna,

Yes, I've already tried these things but no joy. I suspect that there is some bottleneck en route between myself and tazlure. Still no sign of it clearing. I use IE + XP (latest updates).
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

Hmn...

I'll ask you some few questions... You ready?

1. Does this only happen when you're trying to connect to Tazlure website or other websites as well?
2. How many computers do you have connected to the internet? Is your computer a wireless connection?
3. Do you have an anti-virus? What brand?
4. Is/Are your computer/s directly connected to the DSL modem or are you using a router?
5. Have you tried contacting your Internet Service Provider?
6. Have you tried disabling your anti-virus? (if you have any, that is) If yes, you may have to disable your startup items to check on that or go to safemode with networking to verify if you can have fast access connection to Tazlure on that mode.
7. Last option is you may try downloading another browser to check if you have a faster connection with Tazlure site.

A bit of warning though, I'm not really good with computers, I think you'll be needing someone like Meri (Computer God) to check on that as well.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Guido Cercatoro

1. only tazlure
2. one - no it's not wireless
3. yes - avast but it was installed before the problem emerged
4. direct
5. No - I suspect they wouldn't be interested for just one site...
6. No - could try but I have had this package for some time and haven't had any problems
7. Mmmm...I'll think about this as a last resort

By the way the connection is lightening fast until late afternoon which suggests to me that it is to do with busy times???

Thanks for the interest/help...it's frustrating as it's preventing me having much access to the site between 4 pm and late evening
Last edited by Guido Cercatoro on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Technical Q&A”