Sharing our Compendiums

For all your questions and concerns about the website, forums, charactersheet creator, etc...Please come here to report any bugs or glitches you discover!
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Sharing our Compendiums

Post by Abbott »

Is it possible to find a way to make this dream a reality?

The only "easy" way I can think do do it would be to make a usergroup for every single person's compendium and make them the owner of the group. Group admin might be a better term? That way we could invite specific people into our compendiums and let them read and post and what-not.

But would it really be that simple? I don't know enough about scripting to know if that would be easy to automate... but maybe it could be done by request of the player?

Dunno if you guys have pondered this situation yet. I bet you've beaten me to it. Mostly just curious. I am starting (planning mostly, but I have spent a lot of time formatting ^_^) to put a ton of effort into Baylan's compendium and I'm begining to realize that it may not really be worth it seeing as how I'm the only one likely to read it (apart from my coordinator of course).

I have talked to a few players about it and everybody seems to think it would be an interesting idea.

<3 Mr. Towel Man :D
~AbboTT
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Not just your coordinator, but all mods of your area are likely to read up, plus the GD's.

Technically it is possible yes. I'd like to hear a few more pro's and con's though before taking this to the mods for debate, as one of the con's is certainly more work ;)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

The idea
I would like to be able to share my PC compendium with whomever I choose.

The Positive
  • Sharing character information with players who are interacting with your character IC but who do not follow your character. Finding more information than is available on the character sheet
  • Having what amounts to a dev forum for your own character. You could call in the players with which you commonly interact IC and you could all put your heads together in an otherwise private place to plot.
  • Getting feedback on all of your hard compendium work!
  • Sharing compendium ideas and methods of organization, helping other players.
The Negative
  • Extra admin-intensive work.
  • The very real danger of creating clique breeding grounds
  • The drama relating to accidentally exposing information that you do not really want out about your character.

All of that being said-- This would be a TOTALLY optional situation. It would be as easy as doing nothing at all to keep everyone but the mods (and up) out of your compendium.

I think that the Pros outweigh the cons (except on the point of admin labor- because I know nothing of that situation). Unless a major problem arises. And I think that if something did happen, it could be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

I am WAY sleepy right now.... this is the best I can come up with at the moment. I will have more to contribute later hopefully.
~AbboTT
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

I am planning on making templates for people who do not want to go through the trouble of making their compendiums look pretty.

I know that starting at the completely blank forum can be intimidating.

I will be copying my formatting and removing the information-- putting in filler text. This way, people could just copy, paste, and fill in the blanks.

I think something like this would help people out. It may even spark some discussion about organization and what not.

Where should I stick this conversation? Banter?

Edit: This idea is too much of a hassle. It's a lot of work for little gain. I still think share-able compendiums would be cool though. It's looking like I may be in the minority on that one though.
Last edited by Abbott on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
~AbboTT

Return to “Technical Q&A”