A New Face in Town (Samheen 24th, TT)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Rioja followed the sight of Anochrim's family heirloom closely. Why would he have it? That seems absurd. The Altaroien has gone mad as well, I see, she thought, the ancient weapon of Anochrim's family suddenly no longer with his family. She offered no response to Andolin's comments, but she considered them, and even as Fauna spoke, she turned over the possibilities in her mind.

"I think you both must be made more...aware of the situation. Closing the Catacombs...collapsing them...even knocking the fortress upon it...will do nothing to the rift, and likely only annoy the demon. And no ward or barrier will contain it now. Or perhaps worse, it will contain it for a time...but it won't stop it. The rift is there, in the Catacombs, and while a barrier would ward and isolate a demon summoned into the Tether, this is a rift to the Netherworld. It doesn't need to leave the Citadel to continue gathering strength and bringing the Nether into the Tether...and when it was ready, it would shatter our best barriers without hesitation and spill out into our world like a new God."

Rioja seemed very tired. She didn't have any answers for the Major Domos or his protege, and in truth, she found herself unable to even focus upon it. Elaine. She'll be separated from the Mother now, and she'll be lost to us. May the Mother find you, lady bard. "It took two circles of seven just to turn this demon, Andolin, and it took an army of paladins to drive similar creatures into the Nether the last time they came. Demons of this strength rival even the Gods, and I don't have any easy answers for you. You need the power to challenge a God. And this one is here, and it's free...not a summoning or a possession or a spirit floating in the Aether."

"These are your people, Andolin, so only you can act to stop it from invading the Tether fully. I don't have any answers for you. Summon your High Priests...maybe they can stop it before we'll need much, much more." Rioja shot a glare at Fauna. "I have my own people to protect, and if this demon grows in strength, we'll need...armies to stop it." And perhaps more.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

Fauna heaved a sigh of relief, there was no thunderbolt but she blanched when the Great Lady shot her a glance. Chastised, the young blond sorceress frowned and looked at the Lord Domus, there was nothing to be done and she was sure that the burden of responsibility lies heavily upon the shoulder of the Lord Azarin.

There seemed to be no hope, if they could not contain the Nether from spreading, all is lost and Fauna knew there would be a lot of people dying in the couple of next days. With fear, a small part of Fauna wanted to go with Lady Rioja but she thought against it, she had responsibility and she had tied herelf with the Lord Azarin.

Well, Lady Rioja said it will contain it, just for a time, and right now, time was something they don't have. They needed more information, and if closing the catacombs and containing the duneons would buy them time, so be it. Time would give them a leeway. It could contain Elaine --if she was the instrument of the Nether now-- and give them appropriate resources to battle with the impending doom.

It was up to the Lord Azarin to decide, he was the Major Domus and it was up to him to decide but Fauna knew she would be standing behind him, even beside him even if things went awry. She just hoped that the Lord Azarin had something up his sleeve for Fauna was really terrified of what was happening.
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Life could be so cruel at times. When Fortune smiled kindly, it seemed that Defeat was not far behind. Andolin had achieved a meteoric rise in his Imperial service, only to find that he had inherited a quagmire of doom and destruction. He warranted himself a clever man, but even the blind could see there was no hope. No hope. In fact, at this moment, the blind was being subverted into the darkness.

It was time to flee, just as Rioja was doing, but he could not show fear. No, he needed to summon what remained of the forces of Light to try and close the Rift. That might purchase him an extra day or two to flee the island and return to the tower of Balik, where he could await the inevitable, surrounded by wards, and dark lore. Thoughts of joining the winning side flickered through his mind. It was a pity that nether creatures had little sense of humor and exacted such a high price from their allies. Andolin far perferred to ally with the Light against the Dark, as there was no price to pay, other than emnity with the Dark, which could always be renegotiated later.

Isabella was dead and Kitya was ruined. Anochrim was gone and he lived at the pleasure of Silk. What was there to tie him to the Citadel. Sadly, there was power -- a thing he craved. Ironically, his power was limited to the Citadel. If he had been Imperial Secretary or Advocate, he could have fled and retained his power on another island. Thus, there was a chain that held him in place. But, what good was power when it was akin to power over a building that was engulphed by out of control flames. Was it better to stay in the house and die in the fire, or flee, lose the house, but live to build another ... another day?

Looking at Fauna, he supposed that he had a new accomplice to consider. She too sought power. Would she abandon him if he fled? Might it be better if she did?

At last he spoke. "It seems, Lady Rioja, that you paint a picture of certain doom. If you were not so learned, I might scoff at it. Sadly, I find I cannot. I find an analogy apt. If there is a leak in a harbor retaining wall, which strategy is better to stop the spread of the waterinto the city ... try and contain the water at the point of leak, or move as far away as possible and then hope to be able to stop the rising water at a greater distance. You seem to be suggesting the latter, which I find ... curious. Perhaps this is because you believe that it is impossible to plug the leak, so it is better to drown later than drown sooner." He paused to let her try and disagree.

"I cannot help but think that the chances of plugging the leak at its source are much greater if you were to stay. Would this not also serve the East better?" Again he paused, hoping that she might hear the wisdom in his words.

Turning to Fauna, he announced, "we are going to try and fight. I will send you to the high priests of each of those who follow the Light and the Twilight, with my seal, to summon them to an audience here in the Citadel on the first mark of morningtide. A conclave of priests and avatars might have the power to seal the rift, if they have the aid of mages, scholars and warriors. The leak is here. We must try and plug it. If we fail, then we flee, and act as the heralds for a new dark age that will engulf all of Tazlure." He looked to see if Fauna would stand by him in this dark hour. He was almost convincing himself to stay. Maybe he would ... for a time.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

If Rioja gave any further thought to the creature in the basement, she demonstrated none of it. Instead, she continued to gather her things into the trunks, precious few things for one that had been in the Citadel for some time, an entire trunk of garments that Andolin had never seen or even imagined such a woman to wear.

In truth, Rioja's mind turned over the real reason she was leaving. Frankly, she was angry and bitter and couldn't imagine why she would remain upon the island for another moment. What was once a very potent and precious place to her was blackened and broken now, shattered by betrayal and power even among the people she had come to trust. She knew beyond a doubt that Anochrim had been assassinated, and she knew precisely who had done it and precisely how. She could prove none of it, but she didn't need proof to act. The Empire, despite the best efforts of it's valiant officers, was buckling under the weight of it's own corruption, and such a thing as a Demon Lord in the Citadel itself seemed like nothing more than a likely result of that very corruption.

He knew when he died, she realized, glancing over at Andolin and Fauna quickly. Anochrim knew in the end that Silk had murdered him. The Caesar didn't die from any poison...he could have recovered if he had wished for it. Maybe the pain of this betrayal was what left him unwilling to live? After all, it leaves me unwilling to remain.

"Your Priests will be successful, Major Domos. It is a good plan. Elaine Bannon will not be saved, of course, but it's likely she's dead already," she said, throwing a rather immodest, filmy garment into a trunk, a garment that was, once again, very not appropriate for the Black Lady Andolin had known. "But I will leave, and it's likely we will not meet again. I have failed to save Anochrim's life, and I find myself unwilling to face the reality of his death and unable to help you or the Citadel further. I must return to my home and recover. The only advice I can give you is to evacuate the Fortress immediately to minimize the deaths involved both before...and during the exorcism."
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna gave Andolin a look of imperious determination. If the Great Lady would flee, she would not, she would stay and fight on with the Lord Azarin. She had nowhere else to go and fleeing would just lengthen the eventuality of dying, it would come, sooner and later. She nodded gravely. “I shall be guided by you and I will try and deliver your words with utmost force, Lord Azarin.” The blond apprentice sorceress replied, trying at least to give all the support she could to the Major Domus. She was here to protect him and she would do all the necessary acts to do such things. Fauna was deeply afraid, inside, she had debated of fleeing as well but she knew, if the Lord Azarin could somehow surpass the tide that was about to happen, she would be beside him, glorious and powerful.

“But I must disagree with you, Lord Azarin.” She hoped that she was not being impertinent. She was here to safeguard the Major Domus and she was barely doing everything she could think of. “We must act soon. There is no time to waste. Tomorrow would be too late and would bring greater power to the Nether Creature. We must of course take into account what the Great Lady Rioja had advised us. The Nether will grow, but it feeds, we must contain it as soon as possible and seal off any entrance and exits of the dungeons and the catacombs. I remember seeing the Catacombs beneath the dungeon when my shadow ventured down and the coils of the Nether are growing by the flicker. We must act now!” She insisted.

“You must send for the Mages of the Campus now and seal the Palace, dungeons and the catacombs beneath it.” Fauna continued, her blue eyes were looking at Andolin. “Every entrance or exit we seal will give us more time and it is time we need right now to replenish our resources. I agree with the Great Lady, we must evacuate the Palace, every mortal body, every life energy it could take would greatly add it to the growing power of the Nether. We must be cunning and malevolent for the Nether is more than that. It would take great care in protecting the rift and it would take great care in protecting its new found power. We must stop the taint from spreading for if it spread more, we might not be able to stop it. Right now, it is only in the dungeon and the catacombs, let us not wait for it to grow more and spread into the surface.”

“I must disagree with the Lady Rioja about Lady Elaine. If she is currently the instrument of the Nether, it would not kill her, it would take great pains and will to have her here in the surface. She would spread the Nether and there is nothing we could do if she starts singing and altering the very Aether and Tether to the Nether. She must be contained in the dungeon as well. She may be a lost cause, but she is a danger to the Citadel if she is to be brought to the surface. But I shall defer to your judgements, Lord Azarin, I am here only to advice you.”

“Would you like us to call a carriage for you, Lady Rioja? You must flee as soon as possible and protect YOUR east, I am afraid if we are lost here, YOUR east empire would be the last fortress and would give you some small time to protect it until the Nether catches you there.” If pleading would not have Lady Rioja stay, she would try pricking her pride and sense of responsibility and gave the great lady a very fixed-catish smile.
Last edited by Fauna Winthrope on Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Andolin looked at the black lady, trying not to let his disappointment show. "If you are determined to leave, I shan't try and stop you. Yet, know this, your thoughts may be in the East, but, it is my opinion that you have one remaining duty to Caesar. This Rift appeared during his reign. You are of his Inner Circle. I think you could honor his name if you would stay but a few days more to advise us how to close this rift. Stay a few more days Lady Rioja. I ask on my behalf, if not on behalf of a dead man who expired before he could complete his duty. Help us complete it for him, just this once, and then sail away to the East with the satisfaction that only appears when a duty is satisfied." He gave her one long inviting look. It was his last gambit to have her stay. If she had a modicum of honor, he speculated, she would find it difficult to refuse.

Turning back to Fauna, he uttered, "do not think that I would not like this conclave to occur this very burn, Fauna, but to fetch several high priests from their duties is like not likely to be instantaneous. I will have the notes drafted and sealed for you to take to them. The first mark of morningtide is a good time for the forces of Light. It will represent the coming of a new dawn to the Citadel, I hope, and it symbolizes the conquest of the night by the sun. Come, let us go," he commanded urgently. There was need to return to his office and summon the scribes.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

"Very well, Lord Azarin, I am ever at your service." Fauna replied trustingly.

With a deep sigh, she turned towards the Lady Rioja. She liked the woman. but circumstances had not given Fauna the opportunity to know her better. With deep sincerity in her eyes, she closed the distance between them and respectuflly took her hand.

"I am trully sorry for your loss, Great Lady." Fauna murmured emphatically, smiling at her with profound sincerity. "It would have been nice to have known you more. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can call upon me and we can talk over a cup of tea. I apologize for the outburst earlier, it was necessary, we really need you here badly and it is most unfair of you to leave when we really needed you the most. I bid you adieu and good luck, Lady Rioja. May the Gods watch over us." She nodded once, and turning gracefully, she took her garments and tried to follow the Lord Domus.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Rioja still seemed lost in thought even as Fauna bid her a farewell. She smiled slightly and bowed a very strange and curious bow, something not quite at the waist and yet something not unlike a curtsey as well, a strange motion that could only be native to her Eastern homeland. She had nothing more to say at first, accepting Andolin's departure with good grace and poise. However, once Fauna turned to leave, Rioja finally came to life. "Fauna, wait..." she begged, reaching out to the Major Domos' new assistant but not even close to touching her.

"The Imperial Magi...the Imperial Thaumaturgist...he will not know of this situation. Andolin has no doubt sent for him, but he has not replied, which is sadly not surprising. It is...perhaps not as much a show of disrespect as it is a show of...disregard. I only met Magus Ginneke in passing, but I know of him somewhat, and he never assisted Marius de Winter, either...the old Major Domos avoided Ginneke as if he carried the fever. The Imperial Magi are few and...rather unconcerned with politics, but they should be very quick to help if they were made to understand the depths of what happens here. I don't believe they will have any answers ether, but at least they will be strong allies in whatever the Major Domos decides to do."

"Go to him...go find Ginneke...and make him understand. Bring him to the Major Domos, and perhaps he might help you give Lady Bannon a fighting chance to live?" she said, trying to calculate how quickly Elaine would seek to end her own life before she would become the instrument of the demon. The creature could not fool her for long...and it certainly would not hurt her for, as Fauna had predicted, it would value her overmuch...but Elaine would find a way to kill herself. She would die ten times over before she were forced to sing the demon's horrible song.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Off went Andolin to return to his office, summoning scribes as he went. There were many notes that needed drafting and sealing this evening. Only afterwards would he consider the evacuation of the Citadel. Evacuation would leave me without my servants. I cannot have that. Without his servants he was no longer Major Domus in anything but name. No, as he thought on it, he would not evacuate. Rather, he would send his enemies and rivals into the dungeons to purchase more time. That sounded much better.

Once at his office, he scrivened notes to each of the High Priests of the Light. So too were drafted summons to the Lectors of the University, the Imperial Magi, and his teacher Amchi. They would be needed collectively as soon as possible. The notes would stress that the danger to the Citadel, and their own temples and places of learning, was both imminent and clear. The only hope was for a meeting of all those with aetheric knowledge and power to assemble in Caeser's quarters at the first mark of morningtide. Fauna would be given the important ones, and couriers would deliver the rest on Imperial stationary, with the seal of the Major Domus. The couriers would be accompanied by two Purple Guardsmen each, to emphasize the Imperial need and official business.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna stopped and turned, turning back to the Great Lady and heaved a sigh of relief. At least she gave them some help, even if she couldn’t personally. She gave her a small grateful smile, stepped forward and squeezed Lady Rioja’s hand. There was nothing left to be said, she had helped enough and she had things to take care of. With a last nod, the young dark sorceress turned and followed the Lord Azarin, sweeping her elegant gown behind and leaving the Great Lady to finish her packing. They would meet again, when fate had decreed it.

Yes, she would see to it that the Imperial Thaumaturgist would help the Lord Azarin. She would do everything necessary. As well, she could also seek for another help. There was still Professor Baldeserrato and she knew he would give her more information and advice, she would meet with him after all her duties were done with Lord Azarin.

At the Major Domus room, Fauna waited for the man to finish, she would have her role to play soon and it would do her good to remain in the background for now, planning and seeing things come out in event. Silently, she took another goblet from the Major Domus’ bar and poured brandy for the Lord Azarin, trying at least to remain silent and out of the way. He would need more than a drink, for Fauna knew that bad tidings would still be up ahead.

“Lord Domus,” Fauna said if the man paused. “Would it be prudent to post some Guards outside the dungeon incase Elaine survived? It would be prudent as well to politely detain the Song Sorceress for the safety of the realm if in case she does come out of her plight.”
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Finishing a stack of correspondence, Andolin looked up at Fauna. "Which priests and mages do you wish to visit personally?" He would give her the summons for each.

Her suggestion made sense to his tired mind. "Yes, that is a good idea. I will scrawl a note to post guards at the dungeon entrance." Not that it will help much. "Now, we must hurry," he urged, waiting for her to depart on her mission.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: This thread is very briefly Impassable to facilitate the interruption you both knew was coming! Feel free to exist IC, of course, but don't open/join new threads until the interruption is complete!)

The sense of purpose and perhaps dread had spread over the Citadel in the usual way. The servants and guards didn't know what was happening, but they knew something was happening, and as Andolin returned to his office and began preparing his letters he could feel their anxiety as clearly as if he were reading their hearts. Careful, attentive faces, silent, humorless responses, even restless, shifting stances...the clerks and servants summoned to his office were clearly not in a social or convivial mood, and it was that somber sense of impending doom that had overcome them all.

There weren't many ways into or out of the dungeons. If there were, they would hardly be considered a very effective dungeon, and so Andolin's orders to the Purple Guard were certainly not complex. In moments his messages were sent, each one with a pair of Purple protectors, messages scattered into the city to collect the finest magical and divine minds available to combat this very real threat that Andolin had ironically faced before but under vastly different circumstances. Many of the messages would be delayed due to the sudden run of riots in the city, but the riots were thankfully isolated to the Outer Ring from the latest reports the Major Domos had in hand.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Doom is upon us! Fauna thought fearfully as she stared upon the faces of the servants that came in and out, bearing with them Andolin’s summons. Death comes every door like a thief in the night, stealing not only life but innocence. She shivered and then fully focused herself before the Lord Domus and bore herself fully before the man, giving him all the help she could muster.

“We will survive this, Lord…” She paused and felt it was necessary to be personal. “I know you can surpass this impending doom, Andolin, I will be behind you every step of the way.” Her deep blue eyes were looking at him trustfully, yet Andolin, for a brief of instance, saw a flicker of fear upon her eyes which was instantly replaced by deep trust with the man before her.

“I haven’t met any priests except for his grace, Vanir, priest of Pan. I would, if you permit me, take your missive to the Imperial Thaumatergist, Lord Ginneke, which Lady Rioja advised me. Is he housed here at the Palace or at the University of Magick?” She stopped and frowned. “Frankly, I would like to be by your side, Andolin. I would like to protect you personally with every magick I have, but I would defer to your judgment.” Gracefully, she took the missive for the Mages and stepped towards the door but she paused before the door and turned back gracefully, looking at Andolin with a worried frown.

“Where will you stay? The Palace is a very dangerous place right now and I am afeared for you…” It was a simple statement but filled with concern. She wanted to go and talk personally to the Imperial Magus and Professor Baldeserrato, but if the Lord Domus would be unprotected, she would better stay and watch his back.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"Go to the Magus then," he agreed. "Vanir is no high priest. Eilish is the High Priestess here. She is of Pan's blood. Vanir is just a seducer of every pretty lady, as far as I can tell," he confessed. "If you go to the University, they will treat you as a child and not believe you. It is best that you send a note to the professors you trust and gave them come as well."

Her interest in his residence was a surprise initially. But, she was right, it would be more dangerous to stay here. He could always move back into his house just outside of the Citadel gates. That would be a wise plan. Yet, something foreign gnawed at him. If he did not know better, it might be something called duty. For a selfish man, that was a weakness to have. Still, Andolin had such a weakness, for he had generally cared for certain ladies, his mentors and even Caesar (though for selfish reasons at times).

"No, I will stay here, for the time being. I still think we have a matter of days before the creature can expand its sway outside of the dungeons. I will have your rooms be placed next to mine here on the highest levels. It will be safer up here. In the interim, I will work on designing wards to protect these offices." He scrawled a further note giving Fauna the suite next to his. This was the suite that used to belong to Rees, before she left the Citadel. Lucky for Fauna, Andolin had lost Isa and Kitya recently. As such, he did not quite feel up to seducing another beautiful girl at the moment, though he was certain that the servants would whisper of such things.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

It was a guardsman who charged into the chamber, clearly amazed and upset. "Major Domos, something has happened," he gasped, clearly rattled to present himself in such a shabby fashion. There were more guardsmen behind him, out of Andolin's and Fauna's sight, but the pair couldn't mistake their presence due to the labored, anxious breathing from their lungs. Composing himself, the guardsmen noticeably winced at his own lack of protocol.

"Lady Elaine Bannon is...in the Citadel, milord. She emerged from the...the Heart of Tridus," he said, a room that would lie at the center of the Fortress itself, one that was largely considered the last line of defense to protect the Caesar. The room had always been there...but there had been no reason to use it, and no reason to use the War Council room beyond in the time Andolin had been on the island. The very idea that the bard had found her way there was...unexpected, at least to the Purple Guards who still routinely guarded and kept the War Council and the Heart of Tridus prepared for siege if the day should ever come.

"She has someone with her as well, and she was..." naked. Well, nearly naked....naked enough to see her completely. Very naked and very wet and clearly upset. "...I didn't get any information from her yet. It's just this way," he beckoned, clearly not wanting to take responsibility for how the new development should be handled.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Trying to look as cool tempered as possible (for that was said to be a valuable leadership trait) Andolin replied calmly, "I want Elaine and her companions brought here at once. I want guards on the dungeon entrances and all other exits from below. There is a beast down there gentlemen, and I mean to contain it until we can rid ourselves of it. Do not let it escape from the darkness of the lower levels."

Then, thinking of his own security, he added, "I want a half a squad of guards outside my office and the other half outside my quarters. I want a squad of guards to escort Elaine here. One cannot be too careful at times like this," he counseled. "Oh yes, you had best inform Commander Sosa that she should come see me as soon as she can. I have important information for her. Now go."

If Fauna wanted to stay, that was fine. If not, he would understand. He fingered the wards at his throat and the blade at his side. If Elaine was possessed, would he simply strike her down? Would that accomplish anything other than free it to search another victim? It would put Elaine's powers beyond its reach perhaps.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The guard saluted and turned to see the orders followed...before he stopped. Turning back slowly, he gave the Major Domos a frustrated look. It wasn't often he had to provide such information, but the Lord Chamberlain's orders required very immediate response, and it seemed...pertinent to report as much. "Ah...milord Azarin...Lady Bannon rose up in the Heart...naked, milord. I...suspect she may with to...shift before she visits you, unless the matter is most urgent, and then it would be..." the usually crisp guardsmen were somewhat at a loss here "...perhaps indecent to bring her through the halls."

The guard seemed to pause for a moment, uncertain of how that news might change the Major Domos' orders. Glancing at Fauna briefly, he then turned on his heel and moved to place the requested guards, repositioning the remaining Purple Guard garrison to ward the dungeons themselves. Oh, he'd try to bring her up directly...but if she demanded a stop for clothes...and a bath...it would have been ludicrous to refuse her...
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"The matter is indeed urgent guardsman," Andolin replied solemnly. Naked? Now that was a bonus.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Fauna was about to go out of the door, bringing with her the missive for the Imperial Magus Ginneke when the door suddenly flung opened, letting in the Purple Guards and the news that Elaine had survived the Dungeon. If Fauna was having two minds whether to go out and leave the Lord Domus alone and unprotected, the news confirmed her that she should stay. The Imperial Magus and Professor Baldeserrato could wait, the young blond sorceress wanted to see for herself if the blind bard was indeed herself or one of the Nether Creature now.

Gracefully, she walked and stood behind the Major Domus, her eyes seeking his and frowning at him. This was dangerous, actually letting in Elaine into the very same room where the Major Domus was. She noticed how Andolin fingered his amulet and she knew, when she was in the Aether, that it would not suffice an attack of the Nether. It was a simple charm and Andolin needed more than a simple charm to protect himself. But even a dozen or so Purple Guards were not enough to go against the Nether. The look Fauna gave Andolin said it all, she would stay for him and she settled herself just behind the Major Domus, out of the way and unobtrusive, clutching the parchment and carefully pushing it inside her purse.

But why? Why did Elaine survive? Why did the guards that Andolin sent out die and Elaine didn't? What was the Nether planning?

Of course, if what Lady Rioja said was true, that if the Nether would see how useful Elaine was, how powerful her song was, it would take great pains to let it out and pave way for the darkness. But what was it planning next? Who would it have killed first?

Who would I kill first? She thought to herself as she heard Andolin ordered to have Elaine and her companion be escorted here with or without her dress. Why, the leaders and powerful persons first, I would kill my potential rivals first. And here they were, letting in the Voice of the Nether that was Elaine, into the current leader of the Citadel. Be very careful, Andolin.

“Lady Bannon is very…” She paused, trying to find the right words, her deep blue eyes looking at the Purple Guard “…very fragile right now. Please, we are the only one who can help her. It is imperative that she be here immediately. Be very careful with her. Do not touch her or talk to her, it would break her fragile state.” She wanted to warn them to be very careful of her voice, but she didn’t know if they would believe her. “We have sent Priests of the Light for her here, we will help her.” She gave the guard a very sincere, gentle smile, a smile that can knock a fly off the wall, trying to gently prod the guard that Andolin’s command was for the best.

But what about them? Her and Andolin? Would they be safe here if they face Elaine? And who was her companion? Another creature of the Nether? She glanced worriedly at Andolin, she wanted to cast layers of layers of protection first before Elaine arrived.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Nodding, the Guardsman darted away to fetch Lady Bannon at once. After all, he wasn't entirely surprised. No one had even entered the Heart of Tribus for a long, long time...and certainly the escape tunnel hadn't been used anytime he could remember. And even when they were used, they were supposed to exit the Citadel...not readily allow entry! The Heart was impregnable, and even if anyone infiltrated the room, they would have nowhere to go wave the War Council...making the Heart an effective prison in itself. Whatever had come over Lady Bannon, he would indeed bring her here, naked as she was born, if needs me. Racing off, the guard left the pair alone to plan their next move.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

There was not much to plot. Andolin was content to see how Elaine would react. If she acted strangely, he would suspect she was possessed. If she revealed secret weaknesses of the daemon, then it was not likely in control of her.

Thinking of Elaine's discomfort, he ordered fresh clothes of hers to be brought to his office, and a bath with hot water. She might not need them. but he had to at least appear to care for her comfort.

"Let us not jump to conclusions Fauna," he urged when they were alone again. "I am reluctant to slay her. She is working for me now, though she owes her greater loyalty to the Mother. Only if there is no other way and it is clear that the daemon has her. She has a power that can combat the daemon. The power of song has defeated it once before," he assured his newest recruit.
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Oh no, killing Elaine was actually not in Fauna's mind as she nodded at Andolin, agreeing with him that to have the Blind Bard on their side would definitely aid them. Killing her would... Muddied up the water. Let her be the instrument of the Nether for all she care. It was better that way, she wouldn't want to be in Elaine's shoes even if all the riches of Tazlure should be given to Fauna. What she was concerned about if the Song Sorceress would use her new found power against them.

She was actually jealous of the Bard. Here Fauna was, trying very hard to attain the ultimate arcane power of both the Aether and the Nether and there was Elaine, heaving her bosom and seducing the Nether to take her.

That saucy wench! She harrumphed indignantly. Well, better her than me. She'd be the one manipulated and experimented by the Nether and by us. Oh, Elaine, what are you doing to yourself?

"Oh, no, Lord Andolin." Fauna agreed. "Killing her would not solve the problem. The Nether would just find another vessel if we slay her and we wouldn't know who he or she would be. It is safer this way." Safer in a sense that they knew who their enemy was. "I say, we use her. She would be in a very fragile state right now and we could direct her voice to anyone we want. I'm confident that you could think up a plan how to do it, Lord Andolin." She smiled at him innocently.

"Why kill her when she is sided with us. Besides, it would give us a lot of information what the Nether is planning." She trailled off and waited for the guards to bring Elaine and her companion to them. Gracefully, she gathered her cloak around her and pulled down her hood, hiding her face in shadows as to remain incognito. Fauna was preparing herself and her magick if they would be needing it.
Jealousy a Human Face,

-- William Blake
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

(OOC: I'm breaking this scene and seguing into the next scene here in time for Elaine's and Corbin's arrival. That thread is impassable for the moment, though any IC departures from the location are always possible. Please continue there, madam, sir!)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Skilled by Lady Rioja.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”