Preliminary Tribunal (Samheen 25th, TT)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Preliminary Tribunal (Samheen 25th, TT)

Post by Grant »

Out of sight, out of mind. That was how Stephen Matiro had maintained justice in the Citadel. Justice in the Citadel was a precarious, complicated thing...a system that stretched itself to cover so many different cultures and practices, all designed to both serve the peace and to enforce the Caesar's Will. Technically, Matiro could have been considered a very strong power in the city, perhaps if he had the Caesar's backing as he had before...but things had changed in recent times, and now he maintained his position and what peace he could by staying out of sight, out of mind.

Technically, the Provost Marshal himself reported to this office, and it was the Provost Marshal that brought the charges today. That was not like the Mike Ranier he had seen in the past. Ranier was a craven, simple, timid little man that, much like Matiro, maintained his place by staying out of sight, out of mind. But nothing about yesterday could have been considered out of sight. And it would be yahren before the tragedy would be out of mind.
Provost Marshal Mike Ranier wrote:...by the powers delegated to me by the Office of the Chancellor and the Lord Advocate, I call upon a Tribunal to investigate events surrounding the Purple Guard attack into the Outer Ring and the resulting rioting, murder, and arson that followed...
No, nothing about this was out of sight, our of mind. Something would have to be done...and only justice would protect Stephen Matiro. He would uphold it fairly and impartially, and he would only hope that he was remembered to be as such. And so, he had sent his summons...Mike Ranier and his collected witnesses, Captain Ulder, Commander Sosa...and notifications to the Imperial Secretary, the Lord Chamberlain and the Lord Chancellor. It was likely none of the last three would show, but he had to appear meek and subservient. Out of sight, out of mind.

The Imperial Tribunal would be held in Matiro's own Hall of Judgement, a grand room that held chairs along either side of the wall, a modest set of seats to the rear, and a collection of chairs at the head of the hall...the centermost chair much hair than all others. It was here that the Caesar would sit if he were hearing arguments, but no Caesar would seat the highest seat for this event. Lord Matiro himself routinely stood before his own chair at the head of the hallway, moving from there to the lectern as often as necessary. A single, isolated seat was placed at the center of the hall, the seat for the accused. For this meeting, there would be no accused. This preliminary would determine what crimes might have been committed...and just who had committed them.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Her face stern and unreadable, Sosa entered the room.
She was dressed in the ceremonial armour of the Purple Guard. Every sign of rank she had, was clearly visible. Her armour was clean, shining and spotless, as were her boots. Her huge sword clearly present, the tip just above her head.

In the doorway she stopped and saluted those present. Then she walked into the room, taking her usual place next to the empty chair of the Caesar, leaving no doubt to her position or loyalty.
She said nothing, but a threatening fire shone in her eyes.
[size=75]avatar by allavatars.com[/size]
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Her name was Macy Fets, and today she would be, if nothing else, recognized. A tall woman by most standards, Macy was blessed with a very muscular and attractive body, with long, shapely legs and an elegant, picturesque neck under a classically beautiful, angular face. Educated from an early age by her father, a known guildsman for the Imperial Trade Guild, Macy has a sharp mind and learns very quickly. When the guild fell on hard times, she quickly supplemented her family's income with a modest income from serving at local pubs, but this practice proved too dangerous for a young lady growing more attractive as she reached adulthood. She met Michael while he was serving as Deputy Marshal, and his lust for her lead him to offer her a stable position in the Secretariat as an assistant...a position for which she was more than qualified...to win her favor. She was appointed to this position only a few days after she volunteered with the city guard, and her promotion to Secretary of the Watch was assured by way of her frequent intimacy with Michael.

Sleeping her way upwards in the City Guard was no difficult task, of course. Mike Ranier was a man of endless appetite, and for every new opportunity that arose before Macy, she quickly won the position from all other potential applicants by being the first and the best for his attentions. That wasn't to say she knew nothing of her business...she was also a very sharp woman, with a clever, analytical mind and a very careful, direct method of thinking. She had been sent to the Citadel to do the most impressive of tasks: to level charges against the Purple Guard for insurrection, and to make her case valid.

She was already present, of course, seated quietly in one of the distant chairs of the nearly deserted Hall, awaiting her moment to stand before the most influential people of the city...of the Empire...and make her case. She watched Commander Sosa enter, rising up as the Commander passed and then returning her seat, her eyes never for a moment leaving Sosa's face. Matiro also rose up and moved to greet her. "Lady Sosa, a pleasure! Thank you so much for coming. I'm sure we'll get this...strange misunderstanding settled today, without the need for a more formal hearing later. May I get you anything? Perhaps a drink?"

There were perhaps a dozen others present in the room that could easily hold hundreds, four Purple Guardsmen and several clerks as well. There were also a few rather curious townsmen that sat absently in the public seating far to the opposite end of the hallway.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa's stomach tied itself in knots.
She had always had a fierce dislike of Macy Fets, for she was exactly the opposite of all Sosa was.

Of course Sosa had none of the attraction of Macy, hers was an elvish, beauty, cool, fragile, nothing like Macy.
Then there were of course the differences in spirit. Sosa could never imagine anyone who would do anything to reach a certain position in life. To lie and cheat to reach a goal.

Sosa straightened even more, and decided not to let this woman get to her. She had fought dragons, by the Gods !

So she smiled politely and declined the offer of a drink, keeping her place next to the empty throne.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The Lord Advocate bowed quickly and graciously at Lady Sosa's response and took his place at his traditional seat. He was a sharp, compact human that routinely wore armor during his trials, a custom that began generations before him. He was wearing them today, several plates placed over a coat of metal links, a genuinely sharp image of a warrior. His position at court had always been somewhat tenuous, perhaps the only human Knight of Kislovan ever to exist, and that very existence was a cause for great frustration and alarm to the Kislovan people since Anochrim first knighted him, making him indeed a Knight of Anochrim's homeland. But Kislovan was somewhat segregated in race, with only the adhiel holding positions of power and authority...making Stephen Matiro a very odd bird indeed. It was a clear certainty that he would never see the lands for which he was knighted, a situation that pleased the Altaroien of that country perfectly.

"I suppose we could begin, Secretary Fets?" he asked, waving to Macy. Macy wanted at least one more...one of the Purple Guardsmen present at the riots...but it was not unlikely that representation from the guards would be slow in the coming. What Purples did stagger back to the Patrician's Ring yesterday were hardly fit for public presentation only a day later, but she knew in her heart they would come.

"Lord Advocate Matiro, Commander Sosa, thank you for hearing me," she began, clearly unwilling to show the slightest failure in her own etiquette or delivery considering her company. Rumor even had it the Major Domos might make an appearance, and possibly even the Imperial Secretary...though neither rumor appeared to be true as yet. "We're here to analyze and determine the events surrounding the riots in the Citadel only yesterday, events that resulted in over thirty homes and places of business destroyed and an estimated loss of perhaps two thousand people. I have been sent as the Secretary of the City Guard to file my own report and my charges, charges of insurrection and rebellion against the Purple Guard."
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

OOC: Do we wait for the rest to join the party ? Or continue ???

Grant: We can go right ahead! The other pc will be along shortly, and I'm WAY too interested in this scene to wait! ;)
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

It was rather uncomfortable sitting in a large room with so many people he did not know. He felt that he could find those of higher rank by their dress and actions, yet one could never be sure. For that reason, Valsert sat quietly on one of the middle benches.

When commander Sosa arrived, he did not know if it was proper for him to stand and salute, or if this sort of setting put in effect a different sort of discipline, one of silence and modesty. In the end his personal respect for Sosa, and the need to prove the spirit and discipline of the PG to all present, put him into motion.

Standing to his full height with his shoulders back and squared in the direction of Sosa, Val called out to all guards in the room.

“STAND READY! Officer in the room!”

With fists at his side, and heals together, he stood as she made her initial entrance.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

With grace Sosa returned Valserts salute.
Though her face did not show it, she was very glad to see him alive, since reports of what had happened were unreliable, to say the least. And she felt supported by his presence, in this hostile environment.

Because Sosa knew very well that no matter what she said or did. Only a miracle could provide a good ending to this trial. Which it was, no matter what they called it. they were here to try and hang her, ans she cursed herself for letting thing lead to this.

She had thought herself safe, untouchable, stainless and perfect. But it did not matter, for even if she would have been, they would have found some charge, made something up....It did not matter....At least she would go down true to herself, her Guards and her god....
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Macy smiled as Valsert entered, the man that would hopefully shed light upon whatever case she had been forced to present. Bowing, she motioned for the newcomer to take one of the seats near the head of the room, an honor usually reserved for nobles and Imperial officers. "I'd like to recognize Sergeant Valsert Forell of the Purple Guard, Lord Advocate, whom I believe the be the first eye witness that can help shed light upon the events of yestertide. I'd like to examine him first, if I may, but if you will permit me, I'd like to explain our preliminary so the Sergeant understands our purpose today."

Sir Matiro waved a hand, giving Fets the go-ahead to do just that. Macy, in turn, motioning Valsert forward to a plain, isolated chair from which witnesses were normally heard. "Sergeant, first you must understand that this is not a trial. This is a preliminary, a hearing in which we examine facts and determine what charges, if any, are necessary, and upon whom they should be placed. You will incriminate no one at this hearing, and for all actions to which you bear witness, you would be well-advised to avoid any mention of opinion, motivation, or suspicion. The particulars of the case will be heard in a more formal Tribunal if the Lord Advocate determines one is necessary. For now we are interested in...nothing more...than...facts..."

As she spoke, the door opened once more and a new figure entered. Both Sosa and Valsert recognized the narrow, compact form of Silk as he entered, a pair of equally compact spectacles hung over his face, a curious contraption of rather modern design that had not yet found frequent use in the Empire. He had a book and a ledger stacked under one arm, and his was...as was typical....dressed in fine cuts of silk dyed the shade of midnight blue. When Macy recognized the Tyrant, she paused in her delivery, watching the Imperial Secretary walk across the chamber and take a seat next to Sosa, a quick, casual wink tossed her direction...a very subtle taunt that hid a crafty malevolence to it that only she might recognize.

"...ah..." Macy had some trouble picking up the pieces of her delivery "...do you understand the goals of this preliminary tribunal, Sergeant Forell?" she asked, waiting for his confirmation before she could proceed.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Of course Sosa did not buy the crap about "finding the truth" and "only a small investigation" and most certainly not "Speak freely and without fear".
But what could she do? Nothing, except trusting in Valserts common sense and his intuition.

She stiffened slightly when Sil entered, the face of Evil in Sosa's mind. She only returned his glance, most certainly not his wink, and wondered if he really thought that anyone would believe he was just a simple eldery bookloving scholar.
But it confirmed her suspicion that he was behind all this, all evil was his doing ! He was Evil !
valsert

Post by valsert »

(ooc: I hope the way I approach this is ok. I did not want to write out an extremely long boring commentary of things that people can go read in other threads for themselves. Hehe but I have taken notes if it is preferred that I write out the 55 page term paper....it will be long enuf anyway)

The entrance of Silk did not faze Valsert in the slightest. He had only been um..graced..with one meeting with the man after all, and that one meeting was not enough for him for form opinion. He had heard the rumors of Silks dark deeds and hidden transgressions, but it was Val’s belief that rumors held both truth and lies. No it was certainly better to assess a person first hand before forming opinion.

What Silks entry did provide the Guardsman was a moment to gather his thoughts. While the attention of so many people was not a comfortable feeling to him, he had begun to be accustomed to it while working with Captain Ulder.

The truth they want…HA…that is exactly what they shall receive.” He thought while suppressing the urge to smile

“Yes ma’am I understand fully well how to give a report…. Shall I begin?”

His words were not cold, yet they held no warmth either. They were exactly what he was supposed to give…the Facts.

Valsert Forell, Sergeant of the Purple Guard waited until Macy affirmed that he could proceed, then began his report…exactly how it happened.

“This report begins with the failure of the City Guard to contain the high value prisoners knows as Azil and Red. These two were wanted…and of course are again wanted…for questioning in the murders of the Major Domo de Winter, Lady Florentinea, the Ambassador to the west, and no less then twenty members of the Purple Guard. This report of escape came amid questions of bribery among the City Guard.

This news prompted Captain Ulder to act on reports and information, which pointed directly at the Stare. These reports turned out to be very true to say the least.

As we marched into the Outer Ring, SOMONE began to ring the invasion bells…bells that we all know have not been used in Yahren…and whose purpose is not the use it was put to.

I am not sure what effect was expected by the Deputy Provost for ringing the bells, but the streets quickly filled with the rumored gangs of the city. How these gangs continue to exist with the size of the City Guard at present I also can not say…although after seeing the guard in action I could ponder.”

As Valsert gazed around the room as he talked, noticing who looked at him and locking eyes with them briefly before continuing his scan of listeners. During his time working at the tavern, he had listened to many tales and watched as the storyteller drew people into the story by giving each one of them a bit of personal attention with only their eyes.

As the report progressed, Val made sure to speak of how Captain Ulder tried to warn the people on the street that a dangerous evil was coming and they should seek safty, and how the rocks began to hit the Purple Guards…and every other detail he could recall.

“Once the ally was secured by the Purple Guards, I went to assist Captain Ulder against the demon hounds that had emerged from the Stare…which had begun to burn even though no Purple guards had yet come close enough to it for investigation.”

Val rolled up his sleeves as he spoke now to clearly display his own wounds caused by the hounds. Then he stood, and unsheathed his sword, offering it and its pockmarked blade, as evidence of the demonic nature the hounds were.

“These beasts were not simple to fight…yet it was our duty to protect the people of the city from such evil. It was not until after the hounds were dispatched, that report came from the mouth of the ally that we were all under arrest by the City Guard.”

His tale spun on and on, each detail leading to the next…and truth, all justified, all as exciting as the one before. He told of how Captain Ulder went to meet with the Deputy Provost, and how the city guard simply stood aside as the Gangs united against the PG.

He paused a moment as he told of loosing sight of Captain Ulder and the others once the gangs struck. Then another pause as he described the Noble and Valiant exchange between him and Lt. Quell, along with the direct orders given to him to report all that had happened…. and the ignoble death given to Quell by the hands of a thief.

“That is not all that I could see while atop the building. Not only had the gangs begun to loot the surrounding homes and shops…but the CITY GUARD stood among them! Looting as quickly and devastatingly as the gangs and thieves!

The building was afire however; the need to leave was urgent. We descended into the streets once more. We made good time in the first part of our return trip, until we spotted an attempted ambush by yet another gang, that the city guard has failed to remove. These gang’s members each wore a black coat as their identity. Yet they were not alone…a strong assassin was with them…an assassin whose intent was not just our demise but to kill those of the gang as well…. for failure to kill us. The assassin failed nearly as badly as the gang however, and we escaped to make this report to each of you today.”

Valserts hand went instinctively to his cheek as he spoke of the ambush and the escape, but he quickly put it down again…down to his belt where the dagger from that fight still rested.

“As you have heard here, the City Guard was well aware of the jurisdiction of this investigation belonging to the Purple Guard…as the murders were done here, while the suspects were hiding in the Outer Ring.

No offence meant towards Provost Marshal Michael Ranier, as I am sure it is difficult to find good help…but the City Guard has not only allowed prisoners wanted for the Murder of Nobles to escape but also failed to even ATTEMPT to keep the peace as the Purple Guard acted in the protection of nobles of our city and the people those nobles serve.

The City Guard is in desperate need of serious attention to remove the questionable members to improve the quality of personnel, and in the training of them. While I am sure that a training program consisting simply of sparring with others of the watch can build trust…it is a far step from learning how to perform the actions needed.

After all…we ARE on the brink of war… It would be a great victory for an enemy to sever the head of its enemies command…no no…its UNITY.”

Val offered one last pause for effect before finishing his report. He thought his next statement might ruffle some feathers, yet he felt that many in the room were listening to him closely…if not with respect for his words, at least with desire to hear them.

“The Purple Guard needs to begin quickly to provide the protection of this island. Training and culling of the City Guard…and for that matter, the training and culling of the new Imperial Guard needs to begin now…and who better to train them then the most loyal and skilled warriors of the Purple Guard.”
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Sergeant Forell, let me draw you back to the most important issue of our tribunal, and once again, I advise you stick to facts alone. I'm...sure the Lord Advocate of the Empire of the Seven Isles will take your legislative comments under advisement, but you are currently under orders to report only fact," waved Macy, rechecking the letters arranged before her. "You said specifically that Captain Ulder...whom I present to milord Advocate would be Ulder Synkaaros...acted upon information he received, and that his actions included marching into the Outer Ring with one hundred men under arms to neutralize this tavern. I need you to be very specific here, Sergeant. To whom did Captain Synkaaros speak regarding this exercise prior to marching into the Outer Ring? Did he march under orders, or did he act unilaterally?"

She could tell he was looking at her. Smiling, of course. He had a pleasant smile, but it was only more grotesque in that it seemed so very pleasant on the surface. In a hushed voice, well beyond anyone else's hearing, Silk leaned in and spoke. "Don't look so unhappy, Sosa! We're in a court of law...a hall of justice. You know, I can admit with complete honestly that I truly do hope justice will be done today. After all, I'm a great man of...ah...legalities myself, you know. The law is a curious thing. It doesn't care much for virtue, righteousness, intent, or goodwill. It's just a bunch of words...and words can be read in...hahahah!...so very many different ways."
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

She had never fought so hard as today, but this time a battle with herself, a battle to keep her anger inside, fighting to keep her face expressionless, her stance relaxed.

Is this human female out of her deranged mind? Ordering MY Sergeant around. Who does she think she is. WE are the Royal Guard, and we take our orders from the Caesar, and ONLY from the Caesar!
We are not responsible to this lot of fake nobles, these fairground fools. Only our Emperor and our Gods can hold us responsible!

And to make matters worse, Silk had to play along too. He knew how she must feel, of course he did, he could read people as if they were books, that was what had made him the man he was.

She managed a cold stare and whispered "And of course you know! About words. I would not be so impertinent to accuse you of knowing about Virtue or Courage"
valsert

Post by valsert »

Valsert cocked his head slightly sidewise at Macy’s comments but did not hesitate in his response. Speaking loudly so all in the room could hear, he continued.

“Secretary Macy, you asked me for the facts and I told them… What you have called ‘legislative comments’ is no simple opinion. They are the truth of what has come to pass, and the truth of what it would take to secure the Empire. All that I have said is plan flat out truth and fact. I have followed the order of this court in stating them…but as you say, it is the Lord Advocate’s task to see the to it that these truths are not lost to the spinning of words. I simply ask that you respect my Honor and not suggest again that I am disobeying the orders of this hearing.”

He was a little red in the face mostly from the embarrassment of her suggestions of his flawed report…. although certainly slightly angry as well.

“I do not know if Captain Ulder spoke to anyone about the exercise. Yet I do know he was following orders…orders that his oath bound him to follow. These orders were from Caesar Anochrim himself before his death, and were a standing order to be done at all cost………to locate and remove the Coven….

His oath…as well as MINE…is in service and protection of the Caesar. Also to work towards providing protection for the next Caesar. A protection that is hindered by the incompetence of the City Guard.

Sense we are here to seek the truth today; I have a question as well.

Captain Ulder had done nothing but march thru the street, then attempt to protect the citizens of the city from demonic Hellhounds. So what reasons did the city guard have to issue orders for the arrest of the Purple Guard? By whose orders were they given this power….and sense when does this person have the power to over ride the orders and the safety of the Caesar?

The City Guard incited a riot and set it upon the servants of the Caesar. Where do I file these charges against them? Or is this hearing simply to find fault in the Purple Guard for its commitment to its oath and duty?
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Sergeant Forell, we'll hear from the City Guard when it is time to hear from them," barked the Lord Advocate, his eyes glaring at the soldier with amusement. He glanced briefly at Sosa, clearly amused with the sergeant's continuing outbursts. "That's how we do justice, and you will find it works quite well. I will hear your own arguments when it is appropriate. Secretary Fets, have you any additional questions for the Sergeant?"

"I don't, milord Advocate."

"Fine. Have a seat, Sergeant."

"I'd like to call upon Provost Marshal Mike Ranier, Commander of the City Guard."

Mike Ranier didn't have a lot of time. He was busy working with the displaced people of the Outer Ring, a veritable deluge of homeless people and ruined shop owners who demanded action to help restore some of what they had lost. But appearing before the Lord Advocate was not an option...a summons was a clear as a command...and so he came, a large bundle of parcels in his hands. Like usual, Mike Ranier was dressed in the finest of uniforms, a dark blue decorated with gold. Standing before the Tribunal, Ranier bowed slightly and smiled at those present. "Good tide, milord Advocate...Commander...Secretary Fets."

"And to you, Provost Marshal," replied Fets instantly. "I would like you to offer your account of events surrounding the riots from yestertide, based on your own reports."

"Ahem..." Mike cleared his throat first. "I was not personally in attendance, having accepted invitation to wait upon a friend," Baron Marcada was hardly a friend, but indeed he had been at the Marcada villa. "I have the accounts of orders...and dispatches...surrounding Kiker Reeves, the Deputy Provost, who did not survive the violence."

Kiker's death was a personal triumph for Ranier. Reeves was a saint...completely virtuous in every way, and singularly uninterested in any measure of bride or coercion attempted. Ranier had planned to ruin and remove the man for some time, but somehow he never managed to do so. His death was a fine alternative to the Kiker problem, and while Ranier would turn out in full uniform to do honor at the man's funeral, it was with no small amount of glee that he accepted the news of Reeve's death. I think he had a lovely wife, didn't he? I shall have to visit her...

"Nearing the start of midday, Kiker received reports of a full company of Purple Guard entering the Outer Ring. There is certainly no law against moving through the Outer Ring, but Kiker anticipated tensions in the streets and he dispatched the City Guard to maintain what order they could. He could not avert the impending riot."

"How many of the Watch did Reeves muster?"

"All of them, Secretary Fets. He had the bells atop the Goals rung, the traditional symbol for an invading army."

"Why did Reeves interpret the Purple Guardsmen as...invaders, Marshal?"

"Because they were armed, in force, and operating beyond our knowledge and beyond authority. In short, they literally were an army invading the Outer Ring, Secretary Fets."

Macy continued. "According to Sergeant Forell, the City Guard attempted to arrest the Purple Guardsmen. He also persists that the Purple Guard had every authority to act in the Outer Ring."

"The...Sergeant might have missed Reeves' goals. The Purple Guard have no established authority over the Citadel, the city, the island, or the shire, Secretary Fets, but they operate under the direct command of the Caesar alone, and as such they are an extensive of Imperial prerogative. However, the Caesar is dead, and therefore Reeves did not recognize any authority in their actions, coupled with the truth that we did not know of their impending operation. Anyone in the City Guard could have told the Purples that such an act...to march upon the Outer Ring with a full Company...would result in violence, but they chose to act unilaterally and without due notice or cooperation with the City Guard. As such, they drew the inevitable response."

"It is true the Deputy attempted to arrest the Purple Guard, milord Advocate...and I would support this attempt fully. If he had succeeded in apprehending the Purple Guardsmen, he could escort them out of the Outer Ring to avert senseless bloodshed. Once under arrest, the Purple Guard become the responsibility of the City Guard, and the crowds would have no reason to continue their protest. However, they did not have the chance to do so...or perhaps they...chose not to be arrested, which condemned the City to violence. Kiker Reeves was a man of peace and tact, a requirement among the City Guard."

Macy once again. "How many died in the riots, Provost Marshal?"

"One thousand sixty three, Secretary Fets."

The Lord Advocate closed his eyes briefly before he interrupted. "Provost Marshal, how did the Deputy Marshal assume that the crowds would react as they had? How could he have known?"

"Because we had it in writing, milord Advocate." Mike Ranier tossed down his bundle of documents to the Tribunal floor. "Those are complaints and protests filed with the Watch regarding the closure of the Kin of the Sea a half week before. The guild masters of the city were furious, of course. The Kin was a franchised, bonded alehouse under the operation of a recognized guild master. The issue regarding the Kin of the Sea remains undecided while no less than five families starve as a result of their place of business being closed by Caesar's Law. This came too quickly after the unilateral arrests throughout the Citadel over a week ago that disrupted business all across the city, arrests performed by the Purple Guard upon the Caesar's orders. With all respects for the Commander, the Sergeant, and milord Advocate, you don't live with these people. It wasn't a great surprise that they had had enough of the Purple Guard."

Macy once again. "If the Purple Guard had informed you of their target...this tavern...the Basilisk's Stare...could the City Guard have helped arrange the apprehensions?"

Michael Ranier smiled. "I had a small company of inspectors watching the Stare at all marks of the day. I have documentation of all persons, compiled by my own Lord Inspector, detailing all that entered and left the building in the last week. Secretary Fets, they couldn't do anything without our knowledge...and we arranged for this after the Basilisk's Stare was raided over a week ago. Frankly, ladies and gentlemen of the Tribunal, sending a company of Purple Guardsmen into the Outer Ring to apprehend suspects is not unlike shaving with a broadsword. Clumsy, indelicate, and inappropriate...and doing so without the Caesar's direct authority is a recipe for violence."

One thousand sixty three. Dear Gods above us, all for a point of honor? Or for a turn of authority? The Lord Advocate Stephen Matiro was less than pleased. He would have to report to Hector Anzilo, and so far the best report he could give was that the Purples had come to blows with the Blues, and over a thousand people were dead as a result. It was going to be a long day. That there would be a trial was evident. The people would demand action for those deaths, and a trial was necessary. But who to try?

"Thank you...have a seat, Provost Marshal. Secretary Fets, do you wish to call upon anyone else?"

"Yes, milord Advocate. I believe we're seeing a clear picture of the events surrounding the riots, and I'll summarize momentarily. Next I would like to call upon Commander Sosa to speak. Commander, will you please stand before the Lord Advocate?"
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa smiled at the Secretary, a smile dripping with contempt.

But she did not move one foot, or even a muscle.

"My Lady" she said, with only a slight hint of sarcasm "My place is here, as it always has been, since we fought the Great War for the sake of the Empire. I believe I can be heard by everyone from over here, as well as from anywhere in this room."

She knew this to be true, her training had taught her to preach on squares as well as in churches, houses, fileds, so why would she not be heard in this perfectly built hall?
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"...because the Legal System doesn't apply to paladins..." shot Silk, a smile that very clearly displayed his perfect and utter joy at Sosa's obstinance spread over his face. The Lord Advocate shot an indignant gaze at the Commander, disbelieving his ears. "Don't act too surprised, milord Advocate. She's been deifying herself since I first met her..."

Strangely, it was Macy Fets who returned order to the room and walked right past the slight. "It matters little, milord Advocate. I have only one question for the Commander, if you please...."

"I've a better idea, Secretary Fets. Why don't I ask the question since I'm right here next to her? We can't have her missing this one, can we?" retorted the Imperial Secretary, his eyes never leaving Sosa. Leaning forward he gave her a very close look. "Sosa, did you order the Purple Guard to go close down that tavern? No, I don't like that question. Let me rephrase it. Sosa, did your orders result in the deaths of...ah...one thousand sixty three cizitens of the Empire yestertide? Or have you just...lost control of your own soldiers?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

Rage clouded his mind as Valsert jumped to his feet. The assassin’s dagger was already in his hands. Two long running strides were all it took to cross the distance between him and the fat imp, but his momentum did not slow.

The shoulder and arm of the dagger wielding hand slammed into Silk as he drove the blade deep between the fragile little mans ribs. The warm blood flowing over his hands as he twirled the knife around, searching for the shriveled heart somewhere inside.

Blink...
Blink...

Valsert’s eyes focused again. He was still at his seat although he now stood. Rage was there with him, his long time companion. He could feel the anger upon his face and neck, its heated power steaming from his skin and likely coloring his face to the tint of the Red Warriors armor.

He had now seen Silk first hand now, and made his judgment on the man. Not only did he find all rumors he had heard to be justified, but also a strong impression that this man was simply evil came to his mind.

Perhaps your mind joins your heart with being cold as the Ice Queens tits! You son of an Imp! His mind screamed, although he clamped his teeth in refusal to utter the words.

That is just what he wants…proof against us. This Imp could very well be the root of the darkest evil. Has he opened the gates of hell himself? Or simply taken payment to show another the way… He thought

Turning his eyes to Matiro, he waited…wanted…the man to see the anger in them, and to see the restraint of that anger as proof that the Purple Guards were warriors of honor. He waited for Matiro to order Silk from the room for his outburst…to demand apologies said to the Commander…but begain to doubt that any such action would come.

Val remained silent, yet he still stood. He had faith in Commander Sosa’s abilitys…and respect to allow her to do so.
Last edited by valsert on Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

OOC: I know these guys, they work here ! :x

IC:
Sosa did not waste her breath on Silks insinuations, felt no need to defend herself against those ridiculous accusations.

calmly she said:
"Lords, Lady, we have heard the report of Sergeant Forrell.
He clearly reported the troubles and perils he survived to protect the innocents in this city.
I think his report states clearly he and the other Guards did everything they could, despite the stumbling of the poorly trained City Guards.
As far as I can see, Sergeant Forrell is the only eyewitness of last night. I suggest we take his report more serious than hear-say"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

There was a brief silence following Sosa's comments. Matiro offered no comment or indication of what he was thinking, though Valsert's close examination displayed grave, grave concern over what was clearly building up to be perhaps the largest trial the Citadel had ever seen. He was not yet sold, but Silk's words had struck a cord in him. Yet again, it was Macy Fets who salvaged the moment, her words crashing into the chamber like a crash of thunder.

"I accept the Sergeant's report completely, Commander, and it will be used in the preparation of this case, as will the report of the Provost Marshal...reports that will be corroborated before we leave today," responded the lady smoothly. "Be that as it may, the Imperial Secretary is correct: that is the only question I have for you. That the Captain marched upon the Basilisk's Stare is not in question, nor are the events resulting from that action. However, justice demands us to know whether Ulder Synkaaros marched under orders. Commander, did you give the Captain an order to march one hundred Purple Guardsmen into the Outer Ring to seize the Basilisk's Stare?"

Macy did not feel the need to remind the Paladin that she were bound to the truth. That seemed disrespectful and perfectly hideous, and so she never for a moment considered it. The Lord Advocate only watched in rapt silence, awaiting Sosa's answer, one of his fists curling up and clenching as he awaited the response that would effectively define the nature of Macy Fets' case. Silk, on the other hand, was having a perfectly delightful time. And naturally, he didn't hesitate to admit as much. "Psst....Sosa...you could always LIE, you know. I'm sure Illuminatus would just...look the other way this time, right? So lie to us, Paladin..."
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa only looked at silk with unmasked contempt.
"No Silk, I cannot lie, as you know, how unnatural it may seem to you, I am not capable of lying"

Even though this exaggeration, on close examination, might be considered a lie, she felt it necessary to point this out to the men that had become
Evil itself to her.

She drew a breath, and looked at each and everyone present, taking her time.
Then she spoke, in a clear voice:

"The Purple Guard was founded by the late Caesar. He felt the need for elite troops who were not only brave and well-trained, but who were also religious, pious and of blameless conduct. He wanted the best of the best, in physical and mental condition.
The Purple Guards are here to protect the Caesar, and the Empire, and they have done so for the last twenty Yahren. Many were killed protecting the Empire, and though we mourn their deaths, we know they died for a just cause and they will be embraced by the Gods.

Yesterday, however, many people were killed, not for a right cause, but because of petty jealousy and politics, because someone wants to silence the Purple Guards and let the City Guards take their place.
Someone who will not stop at this. When the Purple Guards are gone, they will make sure there will be no new Emperor, total control will be held by one single person, who will not answer to the people of the Citadel, or to the Gods.
The Purple Guards live the laws of the Empire and those of the Gods of Light, we always have, and always will. We live those laws, and we will die for them, as was proven Yesterday."

She paused and looked at her interrogators
"And now you want technicalities, who was responsible? I do not need to answer your question.
As Commander of the Purple Guards, I am responsible, always, it does not matter if those actions were ordered by me or not.
But to tell you the truth. I am convinced we should go after this great Evil which spreads through the Citadel, instead of standing here, wasting our time and bickering like little children. There is not much time, the Darkness is spreading swift, and we need to act. We need to act together, all who follow the light !"

Her eyes swept the room once again, and she stood back, her hands behind her back.
No matter what they would do, and she was sure they would find a scapegoat somehow, it would be better they would take her, blame her, and let the Purple Guard be, there were others who could and would take command. Let them spill all their anger at her, she was ready for it.

Great Illuminatus, your children need you today! We are ready to live or die to protect the light, and follow your ways. But today we are attacked by different enemies, enemies from within.
Help us to continue to do your work, help us against this enemy we can't fight with swords or prayers, but who want to keep us from doing out job!
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"....and I propose we've FOUND this....Great Evil!" Responded Silk at once, his voice raising to fill the chamber. "And it looks like it wears Purple, doesn't it?"

Rising up from his seat, Silk strode to the center of the Hall of Justice and considered it's occupants carefully. "The Sergeant followed orders to go. And the Captain might or might not have received those orders himself. The Commander..." Silk shrugged and allowed a brief look of astonished surprise flicker over his face "...won't answer for their actions. Oh, she'll be responsible for them...and that's convenient, Sosa, because I do indeed hold you responsible. But it goes far deeper than that, doesn't it? Milord Advocate, if I might be recognized..."

"...the Chair Recognizes the Imperial Secretary..."

"Fine. So the Caesar died. And what happened?" Silk gave Valsert an amused glance. "The Purple Guard didn't hesitate long before they continued some private campaign against an enemy they can't name to a place that we can't search and, in the process, butchered thousands. A terrible tragedy...a dramatic mistake...but yes indeed, Sosa...one for which you are responsible. But you won't stand alone. No, Justice demands an equal view of all participants. But do we hang all the Guardsmen who walked into the Outer Ring yestertide? No, that would be...unjust and ungrateful for the Guardsmen's valor and service. After all, like the Sergeant here, most of those Guardsmen were only following orders, weren't they?"

"Milord Advocate, I present the following facts presented to us by the Commander. The Purple Guard are are here to protect the Caesar and the Empire. Well, the Caesar is dead...his power does not govern the Purple Guard anymore...and the deaths of one thousand sixty three people does not qualify as defending the Empire, does it? We've had plagues that have left us in better shape in a single tide..."

Macy couldn't look up from her podium, a look of sheer horror and frustration over her face. She knew this would happen...she knew it the moment she had been given her assignment. The Purple Guard would be held accountable, and that could only mean one thing. Sosa caught sight of her eyes for only a brief moment, her expression apologetic and ashamed, before she looked down once again, desperate for the moment to be over.

And of course, Silk was not finished. "Milord Advocate, we can't hang all the Purple Guard. But as Sosa has declared, the Purple Guard are a private force raised by the Caesar himself and answerable to no one. They've become dangerous, unpredictable, violent, disorganized, and they have No Official Power in the Citadel without a Caesar to back them. I propose no Tribunal at all for the riots, but instead the immediate disband and dismissal of the entire Purple Guard regiment, their tabards to be surrendered to the Imperial Vaults until the next Caesar can raise them again."

Silk slid his malevolent, brilliant, venomous eyes upon Sosa once more. "This is one plague we can fight. And in addition...since she feels so responsible for their conduct...I will issue my own grievance with the Advocacy to hold Sosa on charges of insurrection against the Empire. So you saved the Empire by virtue of your sword, Sosa? Now you'll support it by standing trial. And you will stand trial, or the Justice you claim to support so much...you're entire life...will become nothing more than a massive, hypocritical lie."
valsert

Post by valsert »

“M’lord Advocate, I object to this mans right to speak on the matter any further. He is not a witness of the events; he was not there when the GANGS and THUGS attacked the ROYAL military. One Thousand and sixty three people died…not by the actions of the Purple Guard, but by the actions of those who fight against the Empire. Those who died at the hands of defending Guards, died with weapons at hand…fighting a battle against the Empire. Those who died in the Riots aftermath, died at the hands of those same rebels who killed 94 members of the Purple Guard.”

Valsert spoke and moved forward to stand in the middle of the room. His voice was firm and carried well but was well short of shouting, although he was instantly prepared to raise the volume if Silk attempted to interrupt. Nothing short of a deathblow would end his factual and passionate words. He would NOT be silenced.

“The Imperial Secretary’s words stand in direct contempt of the reports provided by the Provost Marshal and myself. What authority gives the Imperial Secretary allowance to break the code of conduct at this preliminary hearing?”

With a cold look to Macy, valsert continued.

“Incriminate NO one I was told. Speak the facts!

The Provost Marshal and myself have spoken the facts. The Purple Guard marched to uphold its oath to protect the Empire…and the Caesar. That a new Caesar will be chosen is fact. That we act to protect him is another. A third is that the Provost Marshal did not report to the Purple Guard that the citizens were in a state of frenzy, although a report of the escaped prisoners was issued.

It was the Purple Guard who was set upon by the Outer Ring Gangs, not us attacking them. The Imperial Secretary is ignoring all of these facts. Another fact is that nothing he has said is more then his own opinion and interpretations. None of which was to be allowed in this hearing.

No sir M’lord, the facts have been stated plain and to the point as the Provost Marshal and I were directed to do. Although there were obvious failings of the Purple Guard and the City Guard to keep each other informed, no laws of the Empire have been broken what so ever by the two military units. That is a plain fact.

That Laws were broken is also a plain fact. Those Gangs who chose to attack the Purple Guard committed treason. THAT is the law which was broken…and THAT is what forced the Purple Guard to stand in defense of their lives.

No disrespect intended M’lord Matiro, please forgive my outburst, but I could no longer see your room of court turned into a circus of words and opinion by the Secretary.

However if it is your will to continue to listen to him, then I have one question for the IMPERIAL secretary. If the lack of a Caesar in power removes the authority of the Purple Guard as the Imperial force…. then does it not remove the authority of the Imperial Secretary as well? You sir hold no more authority then that of the Purple Guard.

The Caesar has only been gone from us a short time. Work to find his successor already underway as I am told. The idea of disbanding the Purple Guard, shutting down its facilities, sending them out of the palace grounds…only to be recalled shortly after by the next Caesar would not be cost effective to the coffers of the Empire. Nor prudent due to the recent murders, which the newly forming and under trained Imperial Guard are vastly unable to fulfill.

Once his words were said, Valsert could not help but miss Captain Ulder. Before the captain took him under his wing, Val was meek. He did not think he would have been able to stand up to the likes of Silk had he not been gifted with his time with the Captain. Of all things that Captain Ulder had done in his life, one thing was certain…He had lead Valsert Forell further into the light then he had ever been.

“You are correct about one thing Lord Silk. This IS a plague that can be stopped, and once the City Guard and the new Imperial Guard are culled and honed by the Purple Guard, the Empire will have the skill and numbers to removed the Gangs of the Outer Ring and insure safety for the people of the Citadel.”

Val looked into the eyes of Silk as he spoke this time. Never flinching, never giving an inch, it was the locked gaze of two dogs vying for dominance. Silk may have his greed, and his title…but there was no power to compare with the genuine strength of the god Illuminatus. The light of the room glinted and shined from his eyes, as if the prayer he silently made was echoed.

Great Illuminatus, thank you for the wisdom to understand the life lesions taught by Commander Sosa and Captain Ulder. Guide us in our words and deeds, to bring reason and wisdom to those around us…and balance to build a platform for the new Caesar to stand upon.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Macy, Ranier, and half the witnesses that seated themselves in the Hall of Justice interrupted along with Valsert, none of which broke through to the Lord Advocate's careful, concentrated look. He was not looking at anything...a stone set into the floor, nothing more...but he considered very, very carefully. The Law. It is a curious thing. It is not Justice, but it is all I have. The Law would have every Purple Guard lynched and ruined by sundown if I let it. But that isn't Justice. Justice is...perhaps more of an effort. It will take far more than one or two deaths to find Justice. Far more than one thousand sixty three.

"SILENCE IN THE TRIBUNAL!" commanded the Lord Advocate, one hand to his temples and one held up to bring order back to his Tribunal Hall. "I've heard enough," he declared. "Secretary Fets, you represent the Guildsman?"

"I do, milord Advocate."

"Will the Guildsmen be satisfied if the Purple Guard were disbanded? Or perhaps retired until such time as the new Caesar will endorse and raise them again? So long as there will be no trials resulting from yestertide's riots and all petitions for Judgement are dropped."

Macy paused. Disband the Caesar's guard? She blinked twice and stared down at her letters, uncertain of how to respond. She wasn't thrilled at the idea of hanging any of the Purple Guardsmen, and no doubt any number of them would happily hang before they surrendered their tabards...but at least in this way they would live, and the commoners of the Outer Ring would be satisfied. "I would accept that, milord Advocate. With no Tribunal."

"Very well. Then Commander Sosa, the decision lies with you. You and the remainder of the Purple Guard involved in the riots of Samheen twenty fourth may either stand Tribunal against charges of rebellion, insurrection, or incompetence, or you can retire the colors tomorrow at the start of Tradetide and leave with no Tribunal at all. I need not tell you, Commander, that I can provide no certainties regarding the results of those Tribunals. It may be likely that the Purple Guard will be disbanded either way. Consider that before you answer."
valsert

Post by valsert »

The insanity of the moment struck Val like a ton of mud bricks. So many injustices pointed at the Purple Guard, hinged on nothing more then lies and finger pointing that his trust in the court its self was not compermised.

FOOLS! Why will they not listen to the facts! The citizens are who revolted, not the guard! Why were those reports that the city guard had, not sent on to warn us? Why is my report not taken to heart?

Valsert sat hard upon his seat again, and waited for his commanders answer, altho he knew what the likly result would be. Too many lives were at stake and he thought that would swey her responce...despite the innocens of the Guard.

It was aparent to him now that those in power in the empire feared only one thing...others with power.

Anyone who looked upon him as he sat waiting, might have thought that he showed the look of defeate in his eyes and face....but they would be wrong, and if not careful they would be dead wrong.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”