Where the World Ends (Samheen 24th, GT, closed)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Where the World Ends (Samheen 24th, GT, closed)

Post by Grant »

This thread is Impassable

It was the middle of the night. It was cold. It was dark. Not even the weak, shaky lights of the torches that dotted the gates of the Citadel Palace could dispel the creeping dark that seemed to hang over the imposing and somehow sickened fortress that rose up over the gatehouse like a spire of darkness into the black of the sky above. Where once tiny windows, slits, and ports shot out light into the darkness from numerous illuminated chambers within, now most of the Citadel had gone dark, leaving it a massive obelisk of imposing depression weighing down upon the city below.

But at the very doors of the Palace, activity was already apparent. Torches lined a path from the keep to the Outer Curtain, spare, weak, almost desperate flames that illuminated a line of people marching out of the fortress, through the courtyard, and into the Patrician's Ring beyond. Flanking the doors of the Citadel were not the Purple Guard of old, but the Imperial Guard, their white tabards glowing like so many ghosts where they stood, weapons at the ready, all clouded within dark, black cloaks that made their movements indistinct and uncertain in the gloom.

The Citadel was being evacuated...and while most would flee it's stone walls tonight, some would collect to go in to challenge the dangers that had thrown the Empire's seat of power into chaos and disarray. No doubt it would be a long, long night...and no doubt whatever evil infected the Palace would claim more lives before the sun rose again.
Last edited by Grant on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

It seemed...natural, somehow for Sosa to enter the dark Citadel against the flow of the fleeing inhabitants.
Her armour felt comfortable, the weight of the sword on her back familiar, the purple worn with pride and confidence.

"You know, this might be getting dangerous!" She told herself, and even this felt familiar.
She had gone into a fight so many times, prepared herself for death over and over again, it was natural to her. And without becoming careless, she had a sort of invincible feeling: She had not died all of these times, why should she now?
And besides: Illuminatus would call her if He wanted her with Him, not sooner, not later. No need to worry about it.

She sneered at the whites at the gates, obviously scared, and only waiting until they could follow the fleeing people of the Citadel.
"Care to come with us? You might learn something! After you are done wetting your pants of course"

She glanced over her shoulder, seeing whether Valsert and Cyren and the other Guards were coming too.
She hoped they did, although she had made clear they had no obligation to do so.

A silent prayer was sent up into the dark sky, as she left it outside and entered the Citadel.
[size=75]avatar by allavatars.com[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Commander Sosa!" A voice called out from behind her before she could enter the Citadel. "Do you have a plan besides dying heroicly? Would you like one?"

The speaker was a human male about six foot tall dressed in a white robe that had clearly seen better days. His brown hair was unkempt and his face was covered in two days worth of stubble. He carried a thick oaken staff carved with runes and a set of daggers at his belt. His eyes leveled a sharp and piercing gaze at the Commander.

Beside him stood a woman almost as tall as he was. She was about 40 yahren in age with steel gray hair tied back in a battle braid. Instead of robes, she wore an outfit of red leather, not tight fitting, but snug to allow no restriction of movement. She held a slim bladed halberd in one hand and wore a set of daggers identical to the one the man wore. Her eyes are hard and calculating.

"I am Professor Moore, Commander and this is Battlemage Acantha." Moore introduced. "I received word of the situation from one of your guards. She brought a message from my apprentice who is currently within. More to the point, he has a possible weapon against what lurks below. We would accompany you."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Joining the ranks of those fleeing the Citadel irked Corbin. They were going the same way, granted, but Corbin sensed the others planned a longer excursion than he did. Instinctively, his shoulders went back and his head up, his priviledged upbringing swelling his chest. He was eternally grateful for the invigoration he had received under the ground, and for the rest, allbeit brief, he had had above ground for he was reasonably sure that had he not had both he would not have the strength to carry the stone. His pace was measured, though swift as he walked towards the outside gates.

He knew that his ill-feelings towards the fleeing inhabitants of the Citadel were partly due to his fatigue, yet he could not help thinking of them as useless. Here was he, having already battled the creature, carrying an almost unimaginably powerful stone, ready to wield it against the beast - and he had already lost one of his friends this day. Was it even the same day that he had started out on? He didn't know, and he was quite sure that he wouldn't care until everything was resolved, for good or for bad.

With a quiet strength of will he forced his ill-will away. These were the people he was trying to protect. Noblesse d'oblige. He was fortunate to have the learning, the strength and the confidence to be willing to battle this creature, and these were things born of his priviledge - he owed it to these denizens of the Citadel to fight. The desire to close his eyes and whisper mantras to himself was strong, but he could not do that. It would crack the mask of strength that he wore on his face, and he was sure that the need to present such a mask would carry him through, even when the desire to do so was fading.

As he walked through the gates to the Palace, he entered an artificial corridor created by white tabarded soldiers. He cared not one hoot for them when he saw the tall, white robed figure accompanied by the mage Acantha. He felt a sense of relief and strength fill him. Magic may have abandoned him for now, but the Professor was here - he would know what to do. If Corbin could prevail against the demon, surely Professor Moore and Acantha could defeat it. His stride and pace increased, and he fought to keep a smile from his face as he headed for the mages and the person they were speaking with. His step faltered, slightly, as he realised what he was bringing into their presence. He hoped they had been properly brief by Ailla, and knew what to expect. Walking up to Professor Moore, he presented himself.

"Professor, I have the Rosestone." He said, lifting it up to show him, not knowing what else he could say - how could he explain about Bregana, or what he'd seen under ground? He would have to, but he simply couldn't starts off with that information.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa bowed to the two battle-mages "My Lady, my Lord, I am most honoured by your offer. And I can use all the help I can get. But I could not ask you to risk your lives in this perilous quest"

She looked at them trying to remember whether she had seen them before, a silent prayer on her lips
Illuminatus, my only Lord, are these people true and to be trusted?

What times had these become, when she had to doubt the sincerity of brave and fearless people!

"But of course I am interested in any weapon which could aid our cause, pray, tell me about this weapon!"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

All around the group, the evacuation continued. Only clerks, runners, chambermaids, and a few assorted officers serving minor functions remained, each filing out quickly under the watchful eyes of not the Purple Guard, but a new group of defenders, men wearing white tabards and dark, dark cloaks. They were armed and armored well, and they moved with all the authority that the Major Domos' orders gave them, but they were not the Purple Guard, and their direction came without any of the polish or etiquette that the Purple Guard maintained in their own daily tasks.

The refugees were of course quite startled. They had no idea what was afoot, but everyone present knew that it was very strange for people to be taken out of the Citadel Fortress instead of seeking shelter within. Despite this, they carried on, moving through the opened gates to leave the Palace empty and ready for whatever showdown was about to come.

(OOC: Sosa, let me know how many PGs you brought with you for this scene, and I'll flesh them in properly!)
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

OOC: Let's say about...six ?? They are here voluntarily, and a few are helping out with the evacuation, and others are cleaning out the barracks... Or do we need like a whole bunch of them ???
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

“Commander.” Valsert began as he interrupted Sosa and the others. “I have sent orders to sergeant piper, to prepare the entire Purple Guard for orders. Perhaps we should send for some to remove the unwanted on lookers” His gaze was clearly focused on the white tabards prancing about.

"I would hate for accidents to happion on our last day"
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

With relief Sosa looked at Valsert. At least there was someone she would trust with her. Someone to stand with in this uncertain fight.

She gave him half a grin.
"Actually, Sergeant, we would not mind at all, if accidents would happen! And I am sure these fine-looking doormen will be gone long before any danger comes their way" She said loud enough to be heard.
To hell with being nice and polite. It did not matter anymore, by morningtide, she would not be commander, but just an ordinary Paladin.

But the situation was too serious for jokes.
"Thank you Valsert. But I do not want to endanger any Guards. They are dismissed, and anyone following us into this pit of darkness will have to do so voluntarily and willingly. I trust you made this very clear?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

Valsert looked quickly around at the others gathered with his commander to see if he knew any of them, or could tell by their dress or emblems, if they were of any group he knew. His old training told him to be careful what was said around strangers….yet he too understood this to be the last outing of the ‘official’ Purple Guard.

“Ma’am, it was not made clear at all…not in the slightest. I apologize but I did not offer them a choice in the matter. I sent word to have the entire guard readied for evacuation, and did not request any squads to be sent to aid us.”

Val finished his statement with a returning grin to Sosa. He thought he knew full well that she did not intend to endanger anyone that was preventable, not on their last night of service. There was never any doubt in his mind that one and all of the guards would come if given the choice…thus the choice had been removed.

“Commander, do we know yet what sort of foul beings we intend to battle tonight? Maybe Hellhounds, dark spirits, Daemons of stinky gasses? Or perhaps an Andolin or two?”

He humor of warriors is seldom understood by those who have not spent time in one army or another. Such a life that turns carnage and loss into a daily occurrence rather then a tragedy to bring families and people to their knee. Perhaps that was the worst part for the warriors who would be disbanded soon. They would have a difficult time finding a place of belonging in normal society. Many would likely join with the city guard, or travel to armies of other lands….or perhaps even stoop as low as to join the ranks of the white tabards.

Once again, as seemed to happen when things became difficult, Val forced his mind back to the present.

So this is why sergeants and officers seem half crazy. Does it only get worse with more at your command?

"Commander....There is one thing that has crossed my mind on the walk here. Unless it is an army of Orcs that has infested these halls, what use will our military weapons and tactics honestly acount for here tonight?"
Last edited by valsert on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Of course, it was unnecessary to ask!
Sosa bowed her head to Valsert, in silent apology.

Then she gestured at the two battle-mages.
"These two mages say they have knowledge of whatever lurks here, and of a weapon to use against it. They have not informed me yet as to the name, or shape of the monster. Something Silk perhaps?" she returned Valserts joke.

Then she turned once again to the battle-mages.
"We are ready when you are. I could not wish for any other way to spend the last night as a Purple Guard, could you Sergeant?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

A thousand and one bawdy responses sprang to Valsert’s mind in response to Sosa’s question, each one centering on a busty young barmaid or gaudy painted brothel. Yet his extreme lack of experience in the art of lovemaking, had always resulted in his misquoting them or finding himself blushing…. normally to the merriment of his fellow guardsmen. So instead he relied on the other main comical weapon in a warriors arsenal...death.

“Only one Commander. But I fear that the wash maids would have a terrible time getting red stains out of all the white cloth. They have a difficult time already with stained carpet in the building….or so I have heard.”

Turning an apologetic look at the mages, Val addressed them for the first time.

“My pardons for the useless chatter. Please, if you would be so kind, tell us what likely will be the difference of our very lives tonight.”
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

"Not to mention al those soiled pants that need washing!"
She grinned again. "And my apologies too. I am afraid all those yahren spent in the barracks have ruined my manners. But, then again, who needs good manners when chasing demons?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Professor Moore took in the banter of the Purple Guards with understanding. Acantha for her part looked amused. "The specifics of our foe is my apprentice's story to tell." Professor Moore gestured towards Corbin. "We go to face nothing less than a rift to the Nether and whatever foul creatures may guard it."

Professor Moore walked over to his apprentice and looked deeply at the heart shaped rose crystal in his hands. "For lo there shall come a time when great evil lurks beneath the heart of an empire, when the fate of all shall be given to few, and only by divesting themselves of all power shall they triumph." He intoned and then sighed. "In the presence of this stone, only swords will be of use. I pray that shall be enough."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
valsert

Post by valsert »

Val was silent a moment as Moore spoke. He instantly understood what the man thought the crystal would do, yet was it worth it? Would the power of the gods be blocked as well as those of whatever evil slunk below? His thoughts wondered that path for a short time before he came to what would likely have been the logical wisdom of any priest. He could almost hear a priestly voice council him. The gods provide for the faithful. It is our task to take what is given and use it as we can

“My pardon Professor Moore, but exactly how close must this stone be to what ever it is we face, for it to work? And uhh… If it also blocks the hands of the gods…what becomes of the souls who die in its company?”

What will become of me when I fall...
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

Sosa looked inquiringly at the professor.
"Is that how it works? Does it really block out all immaterial things? Does it block the gods? Can anything block the gods?"

Then she adressed Corbin:
"So you have more knowledge of this thing we face? Do tell us all you know, quickly, but with as much detail as necessary!"
valsert

Post by valsert »

"My Commander", Val interrupted the conversation even before Corbin was able to speak

"I apologize once again for over stepping my duties, and for the rudeness of my interruption. However it IS growing late and I assume no one remained below to keep an eye on our invader. If I may be so bold, perhaps we should begin moving now and learn this mans tale as we go?"

Knowing full well that by redirecting Sosa in this manor he had bent several of the guards laws of conduct to superiors, Val looked briefly down at his boots unwilling at first to let the commander see the slight shame that surly was readable on his face. This lasted only a moment before his honor and training took hold again and he lifted his head to show that his commitment was firm and he believed in his words.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

"And once again I am corrected" Sosa grinned "If I would still be commander, I would step down and make you command!
But since the Purple Guard does no longer exist, unfortunately, I cannot do this.

So, sergeant Forrel, please be so kind as to make all the suggestions you want, for it might just save our lives"

She continued to walk towards the inside of the Citadel, as Valsert suggested and motioned to Corbin
"Please, oblige my sergeant, and tell us all you know while we go in"
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

So, Corbin's Purple Guardswoman had told the Professor about the stone. Or the Professor knew about the stone. Either way they were briefed, but naturally enough the Guardsmen were not. From the conversation, Corbin had understood that the large man, just taller than Corbin was a Sergeant Valsert, and the female adhiel was obivously the officer-in-charge. He listened patiently as they spoke, it was natural that they had many questions and he waited for them to exhaust them before he offered his response. The presence of comrades in arms, skilled warriors and powerful mages had done wonders for Corbin. He could feel a new sense of purpose and determination fill his body and the heavy weight of the Rosestone did not seem such a burden. He stood with his back straight and his head held high, the Corinthian look that years in Roque d'Ancourt had allowed him to develop sat on his face. This bearing was an interesting contrast with his bloodied and damaged clothing.

When he spoke, his voice was steady and resolute and he spoke with a measured pace so his words carried the emphasis they needed to.

"I will tell you all that I can of the creature we face this night. It is a demon, let us make that clear - no euphemisms such as 'creature' will fit. It is of malevolent intent and aggressive nature. I tracked it in the catacombs beneath The Citadel - it became apparent that its influence was wide-spread - when I looked into the Aether its presence was plainly visible as a vast area of Nether energy. We encountered a room piled with dozens of corpses - the age of some indicated the demon had been killing for weeks. They bore no signs of what killed them, but I sensed on the Aether it had been demonic interference which had - and that influence was spreading to the rats that fed there. The demon also seemed to have the ability to create and destroy walls - several times I retraced my steps to find a corridor where previously there had been only solid wall." Corbin paused for a moment to allow this part of his commentary to sink in before he quickly moved onto the next stage.

"The demon has the ability to possess and control people. I am sorry to say I met a Purple Guardsman who had been possessed. His actions were controlled by the demon and he had a strength and endurability that passed human abilities - a blow I struck him which would have killed an ordinary man did not even slow him. I believe that the man was still conscious even as the demon controlled his every move. The demon, when it made its appearance was of no solid form. It appeared to be a massive gelatinous body. In the ensuing conflict the demon was close to possessing myself, however timely intervention by my fellow mage prevented this. In our escape she later gave herself up so that myself and another woman could escape." He said in a matter of fact manner, though the loss of Bregana still burned within him. "I suspect that the demon may have possessed her as well, and she may wait for us as well."

He finished his brief recap of the events of the past day.

"The demon seems to have very few weaknesses. It was only the use of a magical artifact that forced it back the first time, but even then it was not a long period of time before it was ready to attack us again - I suspect it regenerated at its portal to the Nether. This is why the Rosestone is necessary to face it - as has been said it nulls all power in the area. Any mage in the vicinity of this will be unable to use their power. Conversely, the demon will also be stripped of its power. As it is a non-corporeal being it should not then present too formidable a fight for well-trained warriors. We must drive it backs to its portal and then close the portal."

Turning to Valsert he replied to one of his questions.

"As for what will happen to your soul should you die whilst in the radius of influence of this Stone, I do not know. In its presence your soul will be trapped in the Tether, but it is possible when the Stone moves your soul may be free to go where it wants. I suggest you avoid death, and if it becomes absolutely necessary make sure it counts. One last thing I will advise all present - this Stone has serious side-affects, the most important of which is this. For every tide that you spend in the influence of this Stone your age will advance a season, and if you are near it for a day you will age a whole yahren. That is the weight you must bear if you will help us rid this outrage from The Citadel, from the Tether. Even now it is most likely in The Citadel. Wards have been set up about The Citadel, but they may not hold it for long. There is no obligation to journey to face this creature. No obligation, unless you love The Citadel, love the Seven Isles and would see his demon thrust back into the hell it came from." He said allowing some of the burning hatred for this creature that sat in his chest to invest his words. "For those of you who will face this creature, death is a possibility, but a small price to pay to keep your friends, familes and countrymen safe from the diabolical malignance that has driven all decent folk from The Citadel."

He finished, and then was silent, and his tone became more even.

"Now, I have talked too much, is there anything further anyone would know about the demon? If so I will do my best to answer. Professor Moore, have you anything more to add to this?" He said, turning to his Professor.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

"Soldier, there is no need for warnings. Each one entering the Citadel tonight does so of his own free will.
And we have faced death and horror before.
To rephrase a dear friend: Purples are just to tough to swallow."

She looked around, as they walked deeper into the Citadel, trying to feel, taste, smell the demon lurking within, getting to know it, and making a silent promise to it:
We will kill you, and whatever gave you passage to this world. We will make the Light shine here once again!

"The stone does not bother me either, though it must be a great burden to you" She grapped his shoulder in one brief gesture "May the Gods help you find the strength to carry it.

But I would like to here how and where you came by it?"
valsert

Post by valsert »

It really did not matter what answer Corbin gave in reguards to Val’s question. The Guardsma…..err…the Warrior came to fight what ever it was they would face, and if he fell then so be it. Yet it was a soldiers nature to find out information not so they could choose a path to avoid things…but only to be ready for what surprises may come.

There was no fear in his heart now. No feelings of dread that those who cared for him would suffer loss if he did not survive this test. His only family had been dead and gone for many Yahren, and all whom he counted as friends were just as dead.

As they walked deeper into the place, the loss of his friends ate at Val widening the hole that had been growing in himself. He could remember clearly the people who shared his adventure after the magical storm cast them across the seas. Saven, Aleric, Galliban, Captain Gulfrey…all lost because of the covens storm. Even Captain Ulder was gone now. There were no friends left to him to share the even more recent loss of his very life’s dream. The Purple Guard was done, his life with it. Even the shadowy dragon, which haunted his dreams in the past, had left him. Only a deep feeling of emptiness remained.

No, where his soul went when he was done, did not matter after all. It did not matter if he lived or died tonight. The only thing that mattered to him now, was to see this evil undone with him.

As he kept pace with Sosa, he drew his sword, and silently said a quick prayer to Illumnis to provide victory over the darkness...no matter the cost.
Sosa
Civus

Post by Sosa »

The same thing which caused Valsert so much pain, was the one thing which kept Sosa alive.

Her life was gone too, all she had ever been, lived for, fought for was gone.
She knew only the Purple Guard, her life as Anochrims shadow, it was which defined her, and now it was all gone.
together with too many lives, innocent lives...

But this demon provided diversion, a cause to fight for, a reason to live, or die a road to follow.
It might be dangerous, but at least it was something, something to do, something to keep her mind occupied.

Somehow she felt a bit of Valserts grief, and she turned and whispered:
"We will make them pay! Somehow we will make sure none of this will have happened in vain, and none of this will be forgotten! And if we die tonight, we will die protecting all we stand for!"
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Today had been....a bad day. If Christopher knew just what had been in his future for today, he would have refused to leave his bed. In fact, he would have slain himself immediately. Nothing in life could come close to how it felt to have that thing within him...filling his veins, touching his heart, spreading over his scalp and his flesh...devouring him completely and severing what control he had over his body. He even felt the sickening sensation of his heart crumbling to pieces, replaced by the Changer's Will, the demons ichor now giving him whatever infernal pulse he still had. His only hope...his only prayer...was that it would uphold it's promise to slay him once he had left the Citadel. And if he hadn't promised to do as it wished it would have left him, leaving his heartless body to die as it looked for another servant that would do it's bidding. It was only a small sense of satisfaction that he had at least spared someone else his fate.

Gods help me! Gods help me...oh, Gods help me...

Will they? came the response, the Changer living within him, moving him, commanding his motions like a puppeteer might command it's wooden charges. Who are these people? it asked. Christopher might have tried to resist once again, but it was hopeless. Like a leech suckling upon his very blood, the demon glimpsed through his memories of the group assembled in the courtyard just beside the line of departing evacuees in which Christopher was forced to walk. Wincing only slightly, Chris complied...and related all he knew of Sosa and the Professors. It was only with some satisfaction that he honestly knew very little...but what he knew of Sosa seemed to be enough.

And then there was anger. Christopher expected his new Master to be angry at the presence of the Paladin, but this was not the case. Instead, it was angry...very angry...at something else. But the Changer didn't stop his feet for a moment, and as if Christopher were in some dream, he merely watched from behind his shared eyes as the demon moved them along, leaving the Citadel with all the other refugees.

So we're leaving, he thought, somewhat amused that the Changer was unwilling to stay and battle Commander Sosa. Perhaps you are not so strong as you would have me believe, Master?<hr>Angry it was. The Changer had expected a retaliation by the mortals of this world, and it had even expected the pious among them to assist. The last time it faced the mortals, it had lost...but it had survived, and as they always do, the mortals had slowly fed and recovered the demon through their own bloodshed and strife. But during their last battle, the mortals had the help of a God...a God among them...and they had been prepared. This time, it was the Changer that was prepared...and there was no God among them. So the mortals gathered here to retaliate would go below and face the Changer's minions of Hell...and battle them...and then lose, for they could not stop the force of Change on a battlefield where their world ended and His world began.

But something was wrong. The Paladin among them...It had faced her before...had no power...not now...and it was this that gave the Changer to notice the Stone. It didn't know what the stone was...or from where it came...but it knew that the Stone was it's downfall. The Stone would see them through it's minions and see them to the Rift below, and while it would be a very bloody battle indeed, the Changer could not win without the power of the Nether behind it's servants. In truth, the Changer itself was powerless before the Stone.

And so it was time to flee. Thankfully, the Changer could flee now. Before, it had been trapped and guarded by the Citadel's wards and protections. It could break them...and break them easily...but that would have been noticed, and it would have brought out all the petty, mortal magi of this world to use their petty, mortal magics. Combined, enough mortals could stop the Changer...but they would have to be far more clever than any mortals have yet been to do so. But that was before. Now that Singer had taught the Citadel His song, he could escape the Fortress that had been his nursery as well as his prison, and he could do so simply by walking through the ancient wards. The mortals didn't yet understand how the wards of the Fortress were tied to the land itself...and when they did, no doubt they would work to change the situation...but for now, the Changer had the advantage.

Today the Great Demon known as the Changer would utilize it's advantage and escape those that had come to slay it. They still had a great battle before them...and they could win and carry on to close the precious Rift that the Changer had worked diligently to open...but they would not catch It. Keeping It's infernal attention focused upon moving the body of this...Christopher...forward one step at a time, the Changer escaped the Citadel...by walking out.<hr>Where Sosa, Valsert, and Corbin stood, the steady line of refugees continued to file out of the Palace, through the courtyard, and out the gates into the Patrician's Ring beyond. The line wasn't long, and soon enough the new guards of the Citadel...the soldiers wearing white...stood at the doors of the Palace and waved to the group, with one of them...their leader...advancing.

Snapping a crisp salute to Sosa, Preston Summers glanced at the Purple Guardsmen...eight in all, counting her and Valsert...and then inspected the magi present. When he spoke, it was with the crisp, curt directness that instantly marked him as a long-standing veteran of some organization, though he was clearly not once a Purple Guardsman himself. "Sergeant Preston Summers, Commander..." the name was not familiar to Sosa "...we have secured all within the Citadel except for the High Thaumaturgist Simon Ginneke, who remains within on his own orders. The fortress is yours. Good luck, and may the Gods protect you."
valsert

Post by valsert »

That Sosa understood him was all to clear, she understood all of them. Had it been another Purple Guard he would have found it odd, but after all she IS a Paladin. She IS the Purple Guard, and without her to guide it the warriors would scatter on the wind. There was no one else who could lead them thru this troubled time.

“Commander, there are 800 souls outside that would die protecting what they stand for…to protect your leadership for them. Tonight is not the night for you to fall. No other can bind them together with hope and justice…only you.

If tonight there is a task to be done…that is beyond the call…I must be the one to take it. If we fail, it is I that will cover a retreat… Ma’am, can I have your word on this?”
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin did not really understand this apparent handover of powers. He had heard of the Purple Guardsmen, naturally, and from the talk he had overheard this evening he was led to believe they were being disbanded. As he was not a native of The Citadel this did not seem to be such a big occurrence to him - though relative to his recent encounters underground nothing else seemed that important. Or indeed frightening. After all, there are few things to top fighting an invulnerable enemy which proceeded to try and occupy your body. Still, he was respectful of the fact that there was at least some ceremony here, and the white tabarded officer who introduced himself as Preston Summers seemed to carry himself with the right level of decorum.

He listened carefully to what the man said as the last of the refugees made there way out. All of a sudden the faint sound of a song began to pay through Corbin's mind, and he turned to watch the refugees leave. He shook his head slightly, and the song was gone leaving him to reflect upon what Summers had said. The Citadel was bereft of all life now, bar the High Thaumatergist and the demon - if you could call that life. The Rosestone was heavy in his left hand, but its weight felt good - it was the weight of an item that could defeat the creature when they found it. When they found it, cornered it and destroyed it, if possible. He hoped it would be afraid, he hoped it would in the moments before it died it felt the utter hopelessnee that it had inflicted upon others, and Corbin hoped he could see its fear, revel in it, and dispatch it.

The hatred that he felt for this thing flashed through his eyes, and his jaw tightened as his right hand reached for the pommel of his sword and stroked it. He looked to his comrade-in-arms, eager to head back into The Citadel.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”