Re-Connecting with the Archives, TT 27th

Moderator: Mods

Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Re-Connecting with the Archives, TT 27th

Post by Barrett »

A sense of urgency filled Barrett’s movements as he made his way to Citadel Archives. New mysteries, important meetings, doubt about his current investigations… he needed advice and he needed a quick official update on the important goings-on. Tabeann would likely be ideal for both and would be able to correlate her own findings with Barrett’s for a more complete picture - or piece of the picture. And she might have some idea of how to get through to Rioja…
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Opening at the northern wing of the Citadel was a five-storey library. A balcony extended the full length of the wall, with a grand staircase rising to the left and another descending to the right, and providing access to this level from either side. The vast open space before them provided a view of each level, rising up to a tinted glass dome at its apex. There was row upon row of dark wood bookcases, filled with tomes, scroll tubes, tablets and all manner of other materials that could hold the written word or image. At the bottom of this grand entry, were many desks and tables, some occupied while others were spread with all manner of materials, as if someone was in the process of studying their contents.

The Archives were fairly quiet. Not many people were allowed to the Palace these day for Major Domos orders still stood. Only the sheer stubbornness of Mistress Tabean allowed her and a couple of assistants to return. In the end the Imperial Guardsmen gave up and let them through. She was not visible from the doors, but a pair of assistants were busy gathering some documents and depositing them in their rightful places. Barrett's presence was not acknowledged at all. They were busy with books. People were unimportant.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett's own concerns were with his personal studies. Those of the archives staff whom he'd befriended would understand if he did not seek them out immediately. However, he was considerate enough to stow his smelly travel gear (particularly the bird droppings: well-wrapped or not, they were what they were) in his own quarters before seeking out the Mistress at her workstation.

Edging around his work area, he felt for the familiar non-presence that marked the Rosestone's location.
Last edited by Barrett on Mon May 22, 2006 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

His room was a bit musty. Nothing was disturbed. Just like he left it. Perhaps to open the windows would be wise. To let some air in. If the bird droppings were to be stored it might get a bit too strongly scented to allow him to sleep properly when the time came. For now it was not too much of a problem. An absent wave was all he got in a form of greeting. People were busy unsealing the archives after their return.

Reaching into the Aether was easy. Much easier than in the Amunic desert. The presence of Aurelius was strong here. All those books. all that knowledge. Yet, even here, he could not overpower the Rosestone. A dark rift remained in the Aether. Complete absence of anything supernatural. Right in the room where the Rose stone was supposed to be locked. It was still there. Waiting. Devouring the magick. Safe behind the locked doors. Or was it that the others were safe while it was behind the locked doors?

OOC:Sorry to have kept youwaiting. I had to check something before I posted. Things will go much smoother from here.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Thu May 25, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

There. Just as before. Perhaps Elaine did not need it after all…

The Rosestone was a problem and a puzzle. Especially if he hoped to obtain more of them. Keeping it in the Archives was ideal for security, but it was also dangerous. Unintended harm night come from the wrong person coming too near it. Perhaps he could use some of Erwin’s money to find a warehouse of some sort. It would also solve the problem of the eventual stench his Thothos “artifacts” would cause. The University was another possibility. But Barrett was not certain they could be trusted. Plus a magic-negating stone was an unwise object to carry into such a web of enchantments.

So the Querist made himself at home once more. Changed into his scribe clothing, scribbled a few preliminary noted regarding his experiences and observations and went in search of Mistress Tabeann. If anyone could fill him in thoroughly on the Council and recent Citadel evacuation, it would be she. If his Mistress were not around, perhaps Kordan could provide some insight - or inside gossip.

(OOC: No worries. I figured as much when I wrote the post. ;) )
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mistress Tabean emerged from amongst the shelves. She had a checklist in her hand and was busy scribbling some notes on it. If followers of Aurelius ever did scribble. She was engrossed in her work. From time to time her eyes rose and she scanned rows upon rows of books.. Another note and back to scanning. Her assistants were up to the same thing. It looked as if they were inventorying the archives to make sure everything was still there. Maybe there was a theft in the archives? Or perhaps they were to move?
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

The work here was a strange echo of the work at the Repository. It fit a pattern that disturbed the Querist greatly. For some reason he had assumed the place impervious. As if no threat might dare touch such a haven for collected knowledge. Foolish as the notion had been, it had been a comfort.

And it was now replaced with the idea that no place was going to be safe from all that threatened the Empire.

"Mistress Tabeann."
His voice resonated in the way that his uncle had once taught him to capture the attention of a crowded tavern. Clearly projected and with a hint of urgency to it.
"I have returned to a Citadel changed. Yet it is vital that I brief you and Lady Rioja, if she is still here, on my recent discoveries. I also suspect that there is much that I need to learn of what has transpired since last I was here."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

For a flicker the Imperial Archivist looked absently at the Querist and then smiled weakly. "Oh, Barrett. How good to see you. Are you back to stay? We kept your...." Then she caught up on what the man said. "Oh, my. I am afraid Lady Rioja left for home. She departed yesterday. She was already packed when the Major Domos evacuated the Citadel to battle the demon. Even we had to move out. We are just cataloguing the books to see if everything is still here."

Her gaze went to the door which guarded the Rose stone. "That artifact of yours. They used it to shut the Netheric Rift in the Citadel bowels. I had to give it to them. This young man, Corbin was his name, he said lady Elaine sent him here. He returned it as soon as the deed was done. It is locked once more. But, let us go sit in my office. We can talk there. You mentioned you need to brief me on something?" Taking his arm the scribe lead Aurelian towards her office.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Elaine... where is the former Royal Poet? I am quite concerned at having left her to deal with such a thing... yes let us speak in private."

He used both eyes and Aether, as best he could, to make sure that noone was spying on their conversation before speaking freely. Even then, his words were in hushed, cautious tones.

"I told her to use it if the situation demanded. I do not know this Corbin, but I shall have to thank him for taking such a burden on behalf of us all. I hope you warned him of the risks?"

"But here is the short of my report: I have been to Amun Rah these past few days. My mission was Rioja's privately requested investigation of the Caesar's death. But if she has left already... I am not certain to whom I should report my progress. Will anyone else care or will it just get me killed?"

A flicker of silent annoyance at that unwanted burden and the fact that it had put others in harm's way while he had been off to investigate a crime that might not ever be proven, or avenged.

"However, I managed some other research as well, regarding the Rosestones and the adhiels' battle with the one. There are more of the stones, many more. And though I did not travel there I believe they came from or have been left upon a place called Godspeak. The same place may hold the true answers to how the gods and Tazlure were born. But the consequences of making a visit there... unthinkable. Consider the power and damage caused by the one stone. Then consider being exposed to a hundred."

"Yet that is a good branch to investigate for an alternative to the destruction that is to come with the war of Dominicus. The Amunic runes and ancient languages should hold some clues, I'm almost certain."

"I hope to write a more detailed summary briefing for you with my preliminary findings and conjectures..."

"I must also confess to a bit of the politics game. And it is there that I hope you will have an inside view into the workings of the Council. Both Andolin and Erwin have become allies or benefactors of mine in some way. And I have spent some time tutoring Lady Scatha..."
A grimace, but his voice betrayed nothing of that.
"Do we have any sort of advisory presence in the Council? I am hoping to find out all that happened so that I can formulate a clear position before exposing myself to either the Duke's opinions or those of the Majo Domos."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mistress Tabeann did not interrupt Barrett. She let the man finish his speech before she even considered replying. When she did it was as if she made mental notes of the points he addressed and addressed them in the exact same order. "Lady Elaine encountered the demon in the bowels of the Citadel and emerged alive. Young Corbin together, but he descended once more down there with the Rosestone in his hands. From what I heard the rift was closed, but the demon was nowhere to be found."

Pausing for a flicker to gather her thoughts the elderly Archivist continued. "I am unsure as to who you should report your findings. It would depend upon what you managed to find out. Judge first who it might implicate and then stay clear of that group. I am truly sorry, but I was never truly fond of politics and such games. One needs to be personally detached to be a proper observer. How can I write an objective report if I become personally involved." Nodding sagely she went through the rest of his comments.

"When you are done with your summary I would like to have a copy for the archives. Or at least a chance to read it. I think we need to find out more about the Rosestones. They can be a potent weapon, but they can also be a great danger to us." Her face became serious when at last she addressed his last two points. "Lady Scatha.... Chancellor Silk's candidate..... You tutored her?" Not quite waiting for his reply, she gazed around the office and gave him a heavy leather bound book. "Here, read this. It is the transcript from the last Advisory Council meeting. I feel it is better if you read it than if I give you a summary. I might miss a detail or two."

OOC: https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=11165 Read this and assume that you have that knowledge IC now. Mistress Tabeann's transcript is madly accurate.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Silk's - but you are mistaken. She was Erwin's protege. Obviously those two have been playing an interesting - if reckless - game."

He patted the tome that she offered appreciatively.
“Many thanks, Mistress Tabeann. This should have much of the information I seek. Do you think it would be possible for me to attend the next meeting? As your assistant or under some other pretext?”

“Also I was wondering what, if any, our official relationship with the Repository might be. I spent a very interesting bit of time there this morning.”
Barrett decided to let the matter of Danomel go unspoken for the time being. He was asking enough of Tabeann as things were.

“I’ll give this a thorough going over before attempting any more maneuvers with the politicos. And I’ll also need to research a few other topics. Demonology being one of them. Do we have anything on Khar-Naahrn or his infamous Liber Maleficarus? Most of the writings on demons - at least those I had time to research on the Isle - tend to contradict each other. But as this particular author actually visited their domain, and given the numerous accounts of the horrors associated with his books, I think the best hope for accurate information to solve our banishment problem might be in that direction.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Read the report my dear. It was Chancellor that nominated her. Duke Erwin only supported his nomination. First time I saw those two agree on something so readily. There can be no way, young Miss Ashtir can lose the election. Those two hold almost three quarters of Council Votes between themselves." She paused and appeared deeply in thought for a second before she nodded once. "I can arrange for you to be present as my assistant. Come next morningtide and we shall go over your duties."

Then her face grew darker. "Those are not light subjects you mention. Khar-Naahrn is a legend. Oh, I don't doubt he existed at some point of history, but his work and his life is shrouded in tales and myths. We have a couple of books that might help, but from what I remember many of them contain contradictory information. One thing was for certain. He was very powerful and his deeds were not very nice. I heard tales of the Liber being somewhere in the Western Kingdom, but that was years ago. According to legends it contains Khar's biggest secrets and is one of the only manuals on dark magicks and demons in existence. What would you do with such a book?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“The Duke and the Chancellor do not agree. I suspect it is merely some complicated maneuver on one or both of their parts. And, if Scatha is called to speak before the Council, I do not think it very likely for her to receive much support. Not unless some great transformation occurs.”
Rather uncharacteristically, Barrett had let the full vent of his frustrations with the young lady in question come into his voice. He breathed a deep, calming sigh to recover.

“It is not for light reading that I mention these subjects. Citadel has been beset by multiple demonic presences. At least one of them is unlike anything spoken of in standard demon lore. Powerful. Independent. And with a greater understanding of humans than a nether creature should have. At the same time, powerful demons have shown their hand in other parts of the empire just as Dominicus and his followers are poised to attack and someone within our very own Inner Circle of Council has betrayed the former Caesar. Not all of these events are of one design, but they combine to create a level of danger that may see this isle and most of the Empire crushed by forces we cannot control. So I hope to remove the demonic threat so that those who can do so will focus on the others.”

“The choice of the mad poet is intentional. Most works on demonic lore show great conflict with others and even internally. I suspect this is due both to overconfidence on the part of the researchers and a deliberate deception on the part of the rulers, such as may exist, of the Nether. Each author has seen and been told only what they were allowed to know. And there is no way to verify any of it. But Khar-Naahrn was said to have spent time in the Nether world firsthand. His texts have proven their authenticity. Of course they are also cursed. The actual Liber itself is out of the question. I do not wish to be seduced or suborned to the Dark path - or driven mad. I just wish to see if there is some pattern within the writings and histories that might show who we are dealing with and what plans they may have in invading the Tether. If we are to send some great hero - or heroes - to banish the demons, I wish to give them every advantage possible. If not a weapon or a defense out of legend, at least a strategy with which to approach the task.”

“As for the actual Liber, if it turns up… I think it belongs in the Nether from whence its powers come. Not destroyed, but banished. That comes after a rather disturbing conversation I had with the clerk at the Repository. He asked me if I’d ever wish to destroy a book because of the evil it caused. A moral dilemma, and one that I was reluctant to tackle. How can one know such a thing until one encounters the situation. Knowledge doesn’t cause evil. But it can be used for evil, so some secrets must be protected. But I suspect that the Liber Maleficarus is a different case. It may actually be evil. Or as close to evil as an object can be. To destroy such a work… I do not know. But to banish it weighs easier on my conscience.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mistress Tabeann listened to Barrett intently and nodded at opportune moments. He made sense. She wished she could help more. Well, actually she could. Pausing for a flicker to gather her thoughts, she pushed on into a discussion of her own. "Well, I think I have read something that might explain the multitude of demonic incursions. I can look for the book itself, but it spoke of the nature of the universe. Of Tether, Aether and Nether. The author made a very sharp observation." The lines of her face gathered as she tried to concentrate and then quoted the exact line. "Tis the Gods and their powers that protect us from the foul demons. Tis when Gods go distracted and pay no attention to the affairs of mortals that the demons sense the weakness. Ware that time for tis then that they burst forth into the world in great numbers."

Sweeping her hand across the library, in an attempt to encompass the world, she looked him in the eyes. "It is such a time it seems. You have seen firsthand what happened in the Oasis. I have heard only rumors. There is talk of War on the Pan's Isle. Rebellion started in Dort. As we fight, so do the Gods." She sighed. "You are right. I'll see what I can do about the Liber. It will take a bit of time to gather the notes. Perhaps you could come tomorrow? Two marks before Tradetide. You can review what I prepare and then we shall go to the Council Meeting. If I manage to arrange for you to be present." A thought made her pause. "Oh, I would also suggest you seek out those that banished the rift. Commander Sosa and Corbin. They were present. There were others, but I know only of those two for sure. Lady Elaine might be a good idea too. She and Corbin battled the demon in the catacombs and managed to turn it back for a bit and to escape."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett listened intently to the ideas proposed by Tabeann. The bit about the nether encroachment made sense and it also tied together two of his major concerns: the war of the gods and the demon threat. Perhaps he would find more success now that he connected the two areas. And while he trusted the archive mistress's recollection, he would dearly have loved to view that text for himself - to see what else it might offer.

"If we can convince the various faithful of that... there may be some hope for cooperation..."

Her other suggestions echoed his own intentions.

"I hope to seek out both Sosa and this Corbin fellow. I shall head to the University later. If I cannot find Sosa today, perhaps after the Meeting tomorrow will be a good time."

He mentioned nothing of his suspicions regarding Elaine's whereabouts. If they were correct, then trying to locate her would be a quest unto itself.

If only Ulder were still here to take it up...

Unless Mistress Tabeann indicated otherwise, the priest thanked her and let her get back to her own rather daunting task. Thinker knew, he had enough material of his own to review - with the minutes and any other reports he could get his hands on.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Fine then. We shall meet tomorrow. I'll see about gathering those texts for you. In the meantime, see about that report of your travels. I would dearly love to see it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to my work." She rose and walked him out of the Archives, before returning to the daunting task of checking the Archives inventory.

~Fin~
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

(OOC: Fin indeed. Just making it official. Thanks for helping me get my bearings. :) )
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Skilled by a passing librarian.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”