A new Caesar Someone? - Sam 28th Early TT

Moderator: Mods

Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett had to fight to keep an initial look of dismay from his face. But had he really expected anything to go smoothly where the girl was concerned?

At any rate, it was not his place to intrude any further in these proceedings. As it was, he suspected his few comments thus far were a bit more than was appropriate for a mere archivist – even one with aspirations to becoming a courtier. He did manage a crestfallen look at the lack of response to his jest. If he were someone hoping to gain notice, then disappointment was the proper response.

He did risk a muttered aside to Andolin while his eyes roamed the chamber to gauge the reactions.

“Hmph. I’d have expected bloodshed from the vixen by now. Her violent response when I was forced to play her tutor almost left me in need of a healer’s services.”

The Querist's hands stayed at his sides. After all, he was not here as a participant. He couldn't bring himself to look directly at Scatha, so his eyes sought out Mistress Tabeann instead.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Scatha had everybody's attention long before she clapped her hands, as Sheik Hassan's little speech drew their attention quite nicely. All the eyes in the room were upon the blond girl, a variety of expressions upon them. Isis' face bore a satisfied smile, Silk's was unreadable, though a hint of a smile could perhaps be seen. Hector was surprised, his eyes flicking between Scatha and Hassan, as if the Chancellor still did not believe what he had just witnessed. Hassan himself held the same expression as did Luther, one of utter disgust, the dwarf even refusing to look at the girl at all. Several others were less disgusted, but still showed their displeasure with the entire charade that was taking place before them.

Not one person in the room raised a single finger, let alone a whole hand at her behest. Hector was just about to usher Scatha away and scold her for the sole reason of venting at least a part of anger he felt at the insane situation he found himself in. Then, out of the corner of his eye, he caught a movement and once more he was shocked. Silk rose, moving towards the blond girl slowly, smiling pleasantly. Hector's eyes flicked towards Erwin, finding the Duke sitting still, though his back was straight as an arrow. An almost imperceptible shrug was all the answer Hector got, before Silk managed to reach Scatha's side.

A single look told Lord Chancellor that he was dismissed, Imperial Secretary bowing before the possible Caesarii to be quite gracefully. "Miss Ashtir if I may say something?" He arched a brow slightly, though he did not give her time to reply. "I think it is I who should apologize for my absence of manners too. For you see it was I who nominated you two days ago. I am sorry if you feel you are not the right woman for this position." His voice was kept low, every ear in the chamber straining to hear what was being said, General Stacco and Ina da'Yrsa sitting on the edges of their seats in anticipation. "I had such faith in you, and I now realize my mistake. I thought Duke Erwin would inform you of your nomination, but sadly it seems my trust in him has been misplaced. I should have done so myself. I hope you can forgive me for my oversight?"

One person in the room did not listen, as hector found himself quite overcome with anger. The man needed someone to vent that emotion upon and his smile was quite terrifying when he beheld Barrett. He not so much strode, as he pounced upon the poor Querist, one hand clutching the man's robe as he pulled him aside. Chancellor's voice was hushed, but venom dripped from his lips with each word. "You idiot! What do you think you are doing? Who the fuck are you anyway? Saying such a thing and almost getting her killed. Well, what do you have to say in your defense? Spit it out, before I have you thrown away for disrespect." he scowled greatly. "Or better yet have you thrown into dungeons for a while. I bet that would teach you some manners."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

There were many reasons for the Querist to worry about his appearance here at Council. The facade of simple servant and possible lackey to Andolin was one he wished to foster. Yet there might also come a time when he wished a more respectable status among these folk… What decided his reaction in this instance was that Hector’s attack gave Barrett an excellent excuse to show the dismay that he honestly felt about the goings-on thus far.

He let his logical arguments against the accusation go unspoken and instead let a look of abject distress come across his face. He also allowed Hector to toss him about without resisting, in hopes that the man’s aggression would wear away somewhat with use.

“My- my lord. Such was not my intent. I but feared for the lady’s welfare and hoped to defuse the situation somewhat with a jest. I know she is uncomfortable enough in this situation: that is why I guided her to you. I did not expect she would misinterpret my comment in such a way as to further complicate matters.”
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

In normal circumstances, the complete absence of anyone wanting her to stay would have produced a major sulk, followed by a major tantrum, and woe betide anyone who got in the way of either. As it was, Scatha was far too peeved to even consider doing either of those things. She was just about to stick her tongue out, emit a derisory rasping noise at the assembled dignatries and then storm out, kicking over whatever she could find in her way, when the one thing that she had never anticipated happened.

Someone apologised to her.

Scatha blinked.

This was something of a novelty; in fact, Scatha couldn't remember the last time anyone had. As it was, it was the first nice thing that had happened to her since she decided to attend the wretched council meeting-election-whatever-it-was. She regarded the man who offered the apology with interest; what's his name... Silk. That's it...

"Well, at least you have manners," she said with a faint smile. "Unlike some people here." She shot an icy glance at the unique and the hairy midget, and then returned her attention to Silk. "Although I still have no idea why you decided to nominate me. Seeing as no-one wants me to even be here, perhaps you should explain to them why you did that. In fact, I'd be interested to hear that as well."
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Perhaps if it had been some other man, Barrett's apparent regret would have had some effect, but in Hector's current state it only made his anger flare. He was itching for a fight and this buffoon was not giving him one, and for that he had to suffer. "You hoped?!? You guided her?!? And who the Nether are you to hope and guide her in such a way. Do you realize what could have happened? No, of course not. You were busy guiding her to her doom. Hell, even I was tempted to comment after your words. I can only imagine how she felt."

A finger poked Quierist's chest rather hard. "You could have killed me. More importantly you could have killed her. Sure, no blood would have been upon your hands, but still it would have been your fault. You mentioned a possible lack of genitalia. Don't you know anything about Amun Rah? Hell, what am I saying, don't you know anything at all? Even I would be insulted if you said it to me. I can only imagine how Hassan felt." Then he stopped, blinked once and another poke came, this time to the other side of Barrett's chest. "Who are you anyway? What are you doing here?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
A small smile lingered upon Silk's lips, as the Secretary nodded in thanks when Scatha complimented his manners. His brows arched as she spoke, as if he were surprised by something she said. "Nobody wants you here? But, that is not true. I want you to be here. Duke Erwin does so as well." There was a slight pause as the former ruler of Muchislie looked the Dortish girl into the eyes. For a flicker or two he said nothing, merely smiling at her, his smile perhaps a bit disconcerting, as it seemed to convey that he knew some interesting secret and was just pondering whether to share it or not.

Then, suddenly he spoke, his voice almost apologetic, just like the smile that replaced the knowing one was. "Allow me to answer you with a question if I may?" He paused, offering Scatha a chance to refuse, though he hoped she would not. "Can you think of some reason why anyone would want you as Caesari? Anything at all? Surely, you posses some qualities that place you above all the others whom I could have nominated. Try and guess what possessed me to nominate you of all people."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett used the Chancellor’s attack to maneuver into a position that would make it difficult for others, particularly Andolin, to hear his next words.

“The Furst Duke required it of me that I offer her guidance – even though she did not seem the least bit interested in such. The comment did not mention a possible lack of genitalia – it mentioned the possibility that the woman might cause such a lack if provoked too harshly. There is a difference, only both Scatha and yourself failed to grasp it.”

He spoke calmly, logically and in a low volume.

“I am Mistress Tabeann’s assistant and would not have said anything if the lady had not approached me in public, thus making some concern for her well-being an obligatory matter. Who I am is rather less important than the current benefactor gaining her trust.”
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was bemused.

First people were rude to her, then when she asked them if they wanted her there none of them said they did, then someone was nice to her and said they did want her there after all. And now they wanted her to guess why they had picked her to be Caesari.

It was all very confusing.

Scatha pursed her lips; "I have absolutely no idea," she said eventually. "After all, we have never met before. And its not as if I'm especially brave, or clever, or beautiful," she added a little wistfully, glancing at Isis. It was all rather alarming, like when she was little and her aunt Etain had put two beans in one hand, and then picked up two more beans in the other, and then asked Scatha what she had. Scatha had thought the answer was 'a very small stew', but that hadn't been right. It was bit like that now, and she felt the hairs on the back of her neck suddenly prickle up in alarm.

"Unless... unless its because I'm none of those things? Because I'm just ordinary? Is that it? You want one of the ordinary people to be Caesari, instead of someone from this council? Why would you want that?" It was the best idea she could come up with, and it certainly sounded a lot better that 'a small stew', but she still wasn't sure it was the right answer...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

To say that Hector's anger died down would be a lie as it did no such thing, his eyes angrily flashing towards Erwin before they turned back towards Barrett. "Well, even Erwin fucks up sometimes, doesn't he? Just admit that you messed up and we'll be done with it." Then his eyes went to Silk and Scatha. "As for him..... Well, I think going over there and breaking them up would not help much now would it? Would only make things worse, if that is at all possible? Who the fuck forgot to tell her she is to be the next Caesari? Did you even know of it?"

Silk's face encouraged Scatha to go on, his smile growing as he nodded in approval. "Now, calling you ordinary is not something I would do. Let us use the term 'of the people'. Ask yourself whom you will be ruling? Who makes the biggest part of the population of the Empire? These old farts? Or the people?" He arched a brown in question. "And if they hear a common girl like you managed to become a Caesari what do you think they'll say? Will they say: 'That's our Scatha. She became a Caesari and I remember her when she used to run around the fields causing mischief'. And it will give them hope, cause they will see how anyone can succeed if they try."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha's eyes went as wide as saucers; "Do you think so?" she breathed. "Is that what you really think? That the people would let me Caesarii, because I'm like them? Oh my..."

The idea quite took the breath away from her. For a flicker, Scatha could picture herself as the empress of the Seven Isles, being carried on a golden throne upon the shoulders of four handsome princes, being cheered by adoring crowds and spitting cherry stones at Daisy Applebottom. Then she sighed, and shook her head. "It's a nice idea, but it'll never do," she said sadly. "All the other people here, they all want to be Caesar, or Caesarii. They have power and money and titles and manners, and what do I have? If what Hector says is true, you'd have to convince them as well, and some of them definitely don't want me to be it - look at that big man, and that woman he is with. They probably want to be it themselves. But what you say... it's a step in the right direction, to let the people have their voices heard - to let them decide what should happen, rather than people who have inherited power." Scatha was sure there was a word for what she was trying to describe, but she coudn't think of it. She knew there was a man who would, though. She turned to Hector and Barrett.

"Barrett, if you didn't have a Caesar, but had representatives that were chosen by the people to say what they thought should happen, what would that be called?"

Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Reason and calm were not Hector’s watchwords apparently. But it seemed that he was looking for an admission of guilt rather than a fight. The scholar could certainly afford that price.

“Agreed. It was a blunder with regrettable circumstance. And Erwin instructed me not to mention anything about her candidacy.”

The lady in question interrupted before anything further could be said. Barrett positively glowed with gratitude .

“Ah, my lady. That would be a representative democracy. But such a government does not preclude having a Caesar. In fact, the Caesar, or Caesari, is merely a public servant. However, it should be noted that what we refer to as the Empire of the Seven Isles is merely an alliance. Each individual isle is governed separately, some of them by quite different means. So this Council is made up of representatives chosen by the Caesar and by the rulers of the individual isles. The Caesar, or first citizen, is meant to be the representative of the peoples of all the isles.”
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

If there was one thing that Scatha was sure of, it was Barrett's inability to use one word when ten very long ones would do. She hadn't the faintest idea about what he had just said... apart from the very last words.

"A representative of the peoples of all the isles... but chosen by the people, for the people," she announced cheerfully. "That's what we want. You are clever, Barrett." She turned her attention back to Silk; "That's what I'd do if I was Caesarii. I'd make it a reprehensible demon-cat thingy. Whatever. Like Barrett said. For the people, by the people. And Barrett will help me spell it, won't you?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was a clap. A single man clapped to the side, slowly rising to his feet, his gaze fixed upon Silk, and not Scatha.A tall, still lean man of about sixty or so yahren, with a proud bearing of a soldier slowly moved to the center of the room, still clapping as most eyes and ears were turned to him. "Bravo, milord. Very well done. You have managed to plant an idea into the young lady's head. And she can't even pronounce it properly, but she is all for it. By the people, indeed. I wonder how many voices would your candidate get? Ninety percent? We know how the elections in Muchislie went. We know who was the Tyrant there." His eyes turned to Scatha now. "Or did somebody miss out on her history lessons?"

He took a few steps closer, coming within a reaching distance of a Dortish girl. "And how do you propose we elect a new Caesar? Who could vote? Who could not? How will the people know whom they are electing?" He turned his back to the farm girl addressing the room at large. "She say the people should elect the Caesar. Fine I say. But, what are we if not the representative of the people?" Stacco cast a look over his shoulder. "Are you saying we are not? Or are we to ask each individual man, woman and child whom they like the most? Do we bring the candidates to each farmstead and introduce them to people? Yes, I think that would work wonderfully. We would have a new Caesar in, ah..... about hundred yahren. No rush though. A yahren here or there would not hurt us. Who needs Caesar anyway?"
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Several corrections collided upon the tip of Barrett’s tongue, so that he was still trying to prioritize them when the soldier – was he a Muchislie man? – spoke. The man’s assertions provided a nice puzzle for the Dortman to attempt to navigate for Scatha.

“I assure you, sir, that her ideas on populist government are her own and quite predate her meeting milord Secretary. And I’d say there was as much chance of her knowing Muchislie history as being able to spell the name of said isle. She is a good Dort girl whose travels have been filled with things other than digesting historical knowledge rather than her own experiences. It is her valor and compassion more than her knowledge and political connections that qualify her as candidate to represent the people of the isles.”

“And your quite valid concerns were going to be the next thing out of my mouth. You see, Scatha, this Council –as unfair as some of its appointments may seem to an outsider – is the closest thing to what is required. It wouldn’t be practical to have every single person vote. And if we did, there’s no telling that the voting would be fairly accomplished. Not everyone knows the candidates. They would be relying upon the discretion of others, who may or may not have their best interests at heart, for their information and to count the votes. So. Better to have each community appoint a representative to vote in council. And those gathered here – while not strictly chosen by all of their people in all cases – are generally the most qualified to make decisions in the interests of those they represent. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best we have, If you want to make a change then you’ll have to participate and become better informed. Learn from the inside and time will tell if things can be closer to the ideal.”

“It’s like with anything else. Herding for instance. If I showed up on a farm and started trying to tell a fellow which breeding pairs work best, but I can’t tell a bull from a cow, why should he take me seriously? But if I offered to help out with some of the tasks no one wants, I might stay around long enough to see and learn a few things and earn his respect. And eventually my suggestions might lead to the improvements I first thought could be made but that I did not – at the start - really know the workings of.”
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"He didn't put any ideas in my head," Scatha said indignantly. "What I said is just the most sensible way to do things. It's like when they pick the council in Kittywich; you have to get two people to nominate you, and then the heads of all the households in the area come to the moot hall and decide who should be on the council."

She stopped to take a breath, and to sort out the whirlwind of ideas that were rushing around in her head. "Think about it; why couldn't you send messengers to each of the villages, and say that they have to elect someone to represent that village by, say, midsummer day. Then all those representatives have to travel to the nearest city, and pick one of the elected representatives no later than a month after. Then that representative acts as the spokeman for all the people they represent. Distance wouldn't be a problem, because they could use the portals to meet up. That would work very well, I think. At least the people making decisions woud have been chosen by the people, instead of people whose ancestors were good at cutting peoples heads off."

She would have said more, but then Barrett started talking, so Scatha just stood by and admired the torrent of words as they flowed out. She didn't pretend to understand half of it, but it sounded wonderful, and Scatha made a mental note to appoint Barrett chief talking person if she ever became Caesarii.

Suddenly, Barrett started talking about cattle breeding. Not only was it unexpected, it was also something that Scatha had very definite opinions about.

"Oh, I could easily show you the difference between a bull and a cow, Barrett." Scatha stole a knowing glance at the unique and the beautiful woman at this point, then continued. "Of course, it all comes down to whether you're breeding them for their milk, or their beef, or whether you want a good all rounder. They say that Highland cattle are best for beef, but to be honest I don't think you can do better than a Dortish bull. Get one of those in your herd and you're sorted for the next ten yahren, calves as strong as oaks and hide that makes the finest leather in the island. Of course, they have the temper, but as long as put a ring through their nose you can lead them anywhere."

Scatha was suddenly aware that the room had gone very quiet and that everyone was looking at her in a very odd way. "That's assuming you have a stick with a hook at the end of it," she added hastily...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Barrett

Post by Barrett »

There. She had shown that on more familiar ground, she could speak competently and confidently. Although she had, the querist thought, quite missed his point. Before anyone else could poke fun, he interjected a reinforcement of the idea he was hoping to pass to her.

“So you see, Scatha, you know all about herding because you grew up around it. But to learn the proper workings of our government, you’ll want to take some time to observe the way things work and talk to the people, all of the people – or as many different ones as you can – who run it. Not just him,” he indicated Silk, “and him,” that time Hector. “Then you’ll be able to use your own mind and opinions to figure out if there are changes that can and should be made in the process. In the meantime, your best chance at seeing things done right is to accept your nomination and learn all that you can here.”
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

It was all he could do to keep from laughing aloud. If she had not been put forward by Erwin, on some silly lark, Andolin would have given in to his urges. There was no need to insult the Duke, even though Silk pretended to be interested in Scatha's candidacy.

It was all absurd. Everything. They were wasting precious time of the Council talking to a farm girl who could not spell Empire, even if you supplied her all the vowels. He found himself nodding when the older man stepped forward with his observations.

Scatha had a career waiting for her as a comedian, for her ideas would cause such hard laughter that tears would flow from the audience's eyes. Sadly, because she was trying to be serious, tears were threatening to fall for different reasons.

"Milords and ladies," Andolin announced as he took his feet. "We are here to discuss and debate the future of the Empire. Theoretical and idealistic notions are entertaining, but I need not remind you that the Empire does not have the luxury to procrastinate and debate endlessly."

His eyes swept the room. "One of our islands has been all but invaded by the Western Kingdom. A fully armed flying ship is visiting the Citadel. Discussions aimed at addressing this threat would be more fruitful."

"There is rebellion igniting on another island, and disturbing news coming from others. In the past, we have relied upon the rulers of the various islands and the Imperial armies and navies to maintain the Empire. Without a Caesar, we do not have someone to issue the mobilization and marching orders."

"It seems to me that we can accomplish three alternative constructive steps. First we could select a Caesar to fulfill the important functions of the throne. The sooner the better. Alternatively, we can appoint a smaller committee of this body to serve all functions of a Caesar until one is selected. The third is to have this body vote to mobilize the army and appoint someone to lead it while we continue to debate the candidacy of who shall be our next Caesar."

"May I respectfully suggest that we stop considering ways to empower villagers, and instead vote on a measure today that will strengthen the hand of the Empire to defend itself?" His voice was calm, and he hoped to exude confidence and persuasive abilities. There was a need for leadership and Andolin needed to start exhibiting such signs if he wanted to become Caesar. Though some would suspect him for being a stooge of another, thoughtful advice to the Council as a whole might go a long way for countering that view. A puppet rarely speaks for himself.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"Alternatively," Scatha said thoughtfully, "you could just tell everyone that you don't need a Caesar, and that all the things you've just said have been decided on by this council, and thats the way it wll be in the future. The result will be the same. If you think people need a figurehead to tell them what they need to do, you're wrong. But if it makes you happy to give someone a meaningless title - and it is a meaningless title, because in the end all decisions are made by this council - then so be it. You might as well give whoever becomes Caesar the title of Faerie Queen of the Citadel, whilst you're at it. It will carry the same amount of importance, I should imagine."

She looked around the room; "Well, what are you waiting for?" she demanded. "You're the chosen few with the power to make all the decisions. Go and do whatever it is you want to, rather than just sitting around clucking like hens trying to lay an outsized egg." Even as the words left her lips, the phrase fox-chickens appeared in her head, especially as she looked at the rather handsome man (Andolin? Was that his name?) who has just spoken...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Three loud thuds sounded, from Lord Chancellor’s seat, and most eyes turned towards where Hector stood, holding the staff of his office in hand, waiting for silence. He was strangely calm, despite the slight rosiness of his cheeks which was a testament to his previous flustered state. His eyes were on Scatha and Scatha alone. “My ancestors did not chop any heads, thank you very much. So, can we please stop saying that? Because, frankly, I find it a bit insulting, this categorization.” His brow arched as if in question, but he did not pause long enough for her to answer, fully intent to interrupt her and yell if need be.

“I would like to remind the Council why we have gathered here. And that is to elect a new Caesar if at all possible. Or Caesarii if Gods so will it. So, let us focus on that please.” He turned to Andolin next, eyeing the Major Domos for a flicker before addressing him. “Your points are all valid, but let us wait till after the vote, shall we? If we do not manage to elect our new ruler then we can vote on how to counter the growing threats to the Empire.” His eyes went back to Scatha as he regarded the farm girl. “So, I have one question for you and I want a straight answer. None of that new government jibberish. Do you or do you not accept your candidacy? If you do then we can get down to voting and see if we can do anything about current situation. If not….. Well, I guess we can get down to vote as well and see if we can do anything about current situation. So, I guess it is once more your turn to speak up, young lady.”
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was about to make a retort along the lines of if you feel insulted, try being told off by a hairy midget and then having a large man with no bits trying to thrust his none-existent whatnots into your face... until Hector's question brought her up sharp.

It was actually a pertinent question, considering the position she was in. For a brief flicker, Scatha considered making an exceedingly wet raspberry noise with her tongue before walking out... then the small, still voice that usually whispered fox-chickens in her head spoke up.

You could, you know. They wouldn't have asked you, otherwise. The others, they're just jealous because they haven't been asked, as jealous as Daisy Applebottom when Fergal Macalla danced with you at her party, even if he did try to kiss you and you bit his lip till the blood ran down your chin.

"Good point," Scatha said absently mindedly, trying to sort out the muddle of ideas in her head.

And like you said, its just a title, a name. If they don't want to give it to you, then there's nothing lost save a little time. And if you did get it, and didn't like it, you could always give it back afterwards. And it's always nice to be asked, isn't it?

Scatha nodded. "Yes," she said firmly. "I've always wanted to be Faerie Queen."
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

To his credit Hector did not groan, though he desperately wanted to. Instead he just glared at Scatha, before turning towards the rest of the chamber. "Well, that settles it then. Even though we are not electing a Faerie Queen today, I will simply assume that the lady wanted to say Caesarii and go on." He paused to see if there were any objections, but his expression clearly spoke that any such transgression was sure to raise his ire. The people slowly seated themselves, as Hector once more turned towards Scatha. "Since you, milady already had the chance to present your views on what the Empire needs in these dark times, I suggest you take a seat and wait till we are done with the vote?"

Next he faced Andolin. "Lord Azarin. I know you already voiced your views today, but if you would like to say a few more words, now would be the time to do so. If not we can move along to the vote. Do you wish to address the Council before we do so?" He paused waiting to see if Major Domos had anything more to add, before the vote. His patience was wearing thin and he really needed a stiff drink to calm his nerves. He was getting too old for this shit and he was damned if he was going to admit that, sheer stubbornness driving him onward.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Andolin's outburst came as a slight shock, but it did serve the purpose of reminding Barrett that he hoped to remain on good terms with the Major Domus. It also emphasized the authority he wielded and wished to wield.

Therefore Hector's call to order was quite a relief. But it left the priest with a difficult decision. His place now was at Tabeann's side. But, was there not also a duty to Scatha. He had taken her on as pupil: could he desert her to this pack of wolves in good conscience. Erwin had made no visible move to support her - unless Barrett were that move - and she was in danger of falling under Silk's charm.

The Querist's eyes sought out Tabeann's for guidance.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Secretly, Andolin was pleased that Scatha had not removed herself from consideration. Had she done so, there would have been a risk that the Council would have deferred action until a competing candidate could be found. If he was to compete with anyone, he would prefer it to be Scatha.

As the Chancellor offered him another chance at words, Andolin stood. "Thank you Lord Chancellor. I could stand here and discuss the current challenges facing the Empire, but I will not. Each of you here knows of these things. I could discuss the qualities we need in a leader, but I will not. A good leader knows when there is a time for talk, and when there is time for action."

"As such, I will sit down instead, calling upon the Council to take action today." With that, he sat down again, hoping to have won some support for his no nonsense approach. There was no need to belittle Scatha. She had done that herself. He would gain nothing at the moment by appearing to be a bully over a silly farm girl. In fact, he planned to grant her wish and bestow the title of Faire Queen upon her, when he could. It made him smile at the thought.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“Good.” Hector seemed almost relieved that the Major Domos would not be addressing the council just then, turning to face the Council once more waiting to see if anybody had anything to add. Of those present nobody rose or requested to speak up, though the pause was several flickers long and there was plenty of time for that. (This would be the time for anyone to pipe in before the actual vote starts)

“Very well then.” Imperial Chancellor raised the staff of his office up, letting it slam into the ground once, twice, thrice, the dull thud resonating throughout the chamber. “By the power vested in my by the late Caesar Anochrim I call upon this council to vote on his successor and chose between these two candidates you see before you. Miss Scatha Ashtir of Dort, nominated by the Imperial Secretary Silk. And Lord Andolin Azarin, nominated by Lady Isis of Amun Rah, and current Major Domos of the Citadel.” He looked upon both candidates next and paused for a flicker. “You have all witnessed they they both are here of their own free will and that they indeed are aware of what they are involved in.” There was another pause allowing both Scatha and Andolin to interject if they wished so.

“I hereby witness that there are twenty three electorial votes present and remind the Council that by the Imperial Law a two-thirds majority is needed in order for the new Caesar to be elected. In current terms that means that should one of the candidates receive sixteen votes today he or she will be our next Caesar.” He paused, once more waiting to see if anyone would interject. “Therefore I would now call out the each electorial vote in turn and ask you whom you support in his or hers claim for Caesarship.”

“I call out Viceroy of the East. Duke Erwin, cast your vote.”
”Miss Ashtir.”
There was a slight murmur in the chamber, mostly coming from where Isis sat along with Sjeikh Hassan and Grand Vizier.
“Viceroy of the West. Lady Isis, whom does the Rafao Ionis support?”
“Lord Azarin, of course. Whom else?.”
“Who would Muchislie support. General Stacco, whom does Lady Marie support?
”Lord Azarin.” Stacco did not look towards either of the candidates, his gaze resting upon Silk all the while. Curiosity as to how the Tyrant would vote was clearly eating him from the inside.
“What candidate pleases the Lord Odorex? Count de Besnie cast your vote please.”
”Lord Azarin.”
“Whom will Dort support.” It was merely a formality, but one that had to be followed. “Duke Erwin, cast your vote.” He almost said your second vote, but managed to hold it back. There was no need to show just how frustrated he was over all of this.
”Miss Ashtir.”
“Who do the dwarves of Nazareen support? Thain Dethrek please cast your vote.”
The dwarf rose, casting a look towards first Erwin and then towards Scatha, before he turned to Hector and spoke.
“Lord Azarin.” The smile that lingered over Silk’s face, seemed to grow just a bit, though only those that were looking very closely would be able to see that.
“Whom will Amun Rah support? Lady Isis, voice the Rafao’s will.”
”Lord Azarin.”
“Sjeikh Hassan, which candidate does the Great Desert favor?”
”It sure as Nether isn’t that wench. My vote goes to Lord Azarin.”
“Lady Duedheal, whom does the Kislovan support?”
”Lord Azarin.”
“Lord Anghiril, which candidate does the Anghiril clan favor?”
”Lord Azarin.”
“Lady da’Yrsa, to whom would the Kona’s vote go?”
It was a few flickers before Ina spoke, her eyes lingering on Scatha looking almost sorrowful. “Lord Azarin.”
“Whom does Sierra favor this day? Duke Erwin, cast your vote.”
”Miss Ashtir.”
“In absence of the representative of the Oracle’s Isle, I ask whom does the Viceroy of the West favor? Lady Isis?”
”Lord Azarin, for the third time.” The beautiful lady was seemingly losing the patience.
“Major Domos, one vote belongs to you. Who will you support?”
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

"I vote for myself," he announced simply. He would have liked to make a joke about the matter, but he withheld. Only Erwin had voted against him, though he carried several votes.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

A single nod was awarded to Major Domos, for his vote, and then Hector paused a flicker, before speaking up once more. “As Lord Chancellor I give my vote to Miss Ashtir.” He said nothing more, though he itched to comment a bit on his choice, siding with Erwin this once, but hoping that the Duke had some ace hidden up his sleeve. He deliberately voted this early, trying to make sure nobody would accuse him of saving his vote for the end so he could tip the scales.
“Imperial Commander, whom do you support?” He turned towards Lady Sosa, who sat unnoticed till then, dressed in the white robes of her order.
”Miss Ashtir, Lord Chancellor.” He did not even bother standing up, a small smile adorning her pretty face, the lady seemingly amused by the whole ordeal.
“How does the Secretary of the Empire vote?”
”Miss Ashtir, of course.” Silk did not rise, though he cast a gaze towards Scatha, smiling encouragingly.
“Your Grace, whom will you support in your capacity as the Treasurer of the Empire?”
”Miss Ashtir.” Erwin voted for the fourth time that day.
“What candidate does the University of Magic support?”
”Lord Azarin, I would think.”
Turning towards a rather handsome young man in a robe, Hector spoke on. “Father Pietro, whom does the Abbey of Dort support?”
”I rather like Miss Ashtir’s style so my vote goes to her.” The young man flashed a smile towards the Dortish girl and nodded in seeming approval.
“Lady Sosa, which candidate has the support of the Paladin order?”
”Miss Ashtir, milord. I am not so fickle as to change my mind in a space of a burn.”
“Mother Abeaja, which candidate has the backing of your Temple?”
”Miss Ashtir, my dear Chancellor.”
“As the head of Imperial Scouts you hold a vote, lady Manyana. Whom will you support?”
”Lord Azarin has my vote.”

A flicker more passed As Hector’s gaze passed over those gathered, and then his staff rose into the air, thudding against the stone floor three more times. “I hereby witness that all those with the votes who were present have backed one of the candidates.” He turned and faced the Imperial Archivist, the adhiel lady already looking up, as he walked closer and conferred with her for a flicker.

Turning to the Council he slammed the staff into the ground once more. “On the day Samheen the 28th, the Advisory Council of the Empire of Seven Isles has voted on the new Caesar to succeed the late Caesar Anochrim. Lord Azarin won thirteen out of twenty three votes, with ten votes going to Miss Ashtir. As such I declare that we still do not have a new Caesar and that the Council will gather once more on the Samheen the 30th on the second mark of the tradetide to vote once more. Does anyone have anything more to add?” At this he turned towards Andolin remembering his suggestions of temporary measures.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”