Developing Strategy

Moderator: Mods

Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Developing Strategy

Post by Barrett »

Citadel Archives - Samheen 28th, Tradetide

The meeting had not been what the Querist was expecting. Perhaps more legwork beforehand would have better prepared him. But alas, there were demons (and assassins) to hunt. Forces to gather. Knowledge to seek.

So it was with renewed determination that he tackled the assortment of references provided by Mistress Tabeann. He searched through the titles for Banes of Darkness as Professor Moore had advised.

Inspired by his own experience, he also searched for any texts penned by Asran. Barrett's mentor had been accomplished at battling and vanquishing Nether forces according to the magickal tome detailing the lives of the Thinker's children. Asran the Strong.

Perhaps there is some way that I might access some of Asran's knowledge... The tutor named me "cartisan" to Asran. If there is some knowledge-bond in that relationship, I shall have to expore it.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Barrett knew well how diligent Mistress Tabeann was when conducting research. Thus the small pile of notes on Barrett's desk showed just how slim the pickings were when it came to hard information on the Liber Maleficarus and its author. Notes in the introductory pages speak of the purges by priests of Dominicus or Illuminatus and thus much of what remained were either charred scraps that were rescued and transcribed or quotes made in other works referencing the original.

The one common thread in all the works is that Nether beings come to the Tether to feed. They do not come for flesh or fruit. They dine upon the darkness within the human heart and the lifeblood of the Tether itself, the Aether. The Aether is the true target of the Nether Lords. Some passages read as though they wish to do battle with the gods themselves. The Tether stands between the Nether and the Aether and so Tazlure is the necessary battleground. Hatred, corruption, desire and destruction were the powers they wielded and the emotions they drew strength from. In their presence the Aether warps and twists into a parody of life that they devour.

Yet for all this, the Tether and Aether can be used against the forces of the Nether. Using the Aether to reinforce the reality of the Tether was the strongest defense. Only when twisted by Netheric forces can Netheric beings feed and draw strength from the Tether. The Banes of Darkness text turned out to be written by Professor Moore and was already on his desk as part of the notes. It was a how to guide on basic defenses against Nether forces. Control of emotions to prevent the Nether forces from feeding on the demon hunter was key. Basic runes of binding and warding were described as well as the description of the energies needed to hold fast against Netheric taint.

As for his researches into Asran the Strong, he found nothing in the archives written by him but a few of the techniques in Banes of Darkness reference him as adding refinements to old standards. In his searches among the stacks however a certain book kept catching Barrett's eye. It was nestled among a set of books in the Trothgard section entitled simply Ernst North Saga.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

At first, Barrett was surprised at the dearth of material on daemonology. The Library at Oracle's Isle had held so much on the subject that one could get lost looking. Then again, Oracle's Isle had many resources that were beyond the realm of the mundane world - even if the "mundane" in this case was the Citadel Archives.

After scanning through the materials that were there for a few burns, the scholar grew appreciative of the slim list: it meant that Tabeann had saved him the task of culling out the less than accurate accounts and fantasy texts. He would not have to read through stacks of third rate fiction to find the relevant sources.

An uncharacteristic chuckle escaped his lips at Moore's vanity in recommending his own work. But the Professor was an expert and his was almost the only text to mention Asran. The querist's heart was gladdened to read of his mentor - even if it was only a vague mention or footnote. He wondered if the two men had known each other and resolved to ask the mage about it when next they met.

Throughout his reading and cross-referencing and trips through the stacks, Barrett noticed a strange attraction his eye had for a certain, seemingly unrelated text. Without quite realizing why, he found himself fingering the binding of Ernst North Saga.

"Strange."

Intuition. It has guided my research before. Yet who would suppose it was a tool of the analytical thinker? Usually intuition is associated with seemingly illogical behavior in women. Or fortunetellers. An undeserved negative reputation. For is "intuition" not merely rational observation that has not quite reached the mind's surface? A valid shortcut as long as validation is sought.

He brought his full focus to bear on the text - and had to fight to suppress a gasp of astonishment.

Patterns. The Querist was accustomed to seeing things or interpreting information in a variety of non-standard ways. Words were made up of letters, which in turn could be used to fashion still other words by arranging them in different patterns.

So and so.

Ernst North Saga

e-r-n-s-t-n-o-r-t-h-s-a-g-a

a-s-r-a-n-t-h-e-s-t-r-o-n-g

Asran the Strong!

Asran was certainly secretive- almost paranoid. Solitary. Much of his knowledge would be dangerous to share, and self-glorification would have been at odds with his taste for illusion and disguise. It makes sense to find little of his writing... at least little with his name on it... perhaps a pen name or four. And a hidden text, if that's what this is, would certainly make sense. Worthy of a Thinker.

With an affectionate smile on his face, Barrett opened the book that had so caught his eye.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Barrett flipped open the cover of the the book to reveal a page of unfamiliar looking runes, Trothgardian script presumably. Then there was a sense of being examined and judged. Had Barrett been watching with his inner sight, he would have seen a familiar silver glow come from the book and merge with his own. The runes shimmered faintly and were replaced by humwn words in a cramped block script.

So the dark days have come again, fellow Querist, and I am dead. I know this because if I were alive you would have sought me and not my writings, and the only reason you would know me to find me is if we once fought evil together. A sad commentary on my life perhaps that I seek company only when I seek allies.

I have left a journal hidden on every isle large enough to have a collection in which to hide it. To this end I have convinced a pretty young clerk named Tabeann to place this book within the Citadel Archives. If it still stands and she stands with it, thank her for guarding this until its time came.

Citadel Isle has always had more than its share of protectors and thus you will find little of my personal exploits recounted in this journal. However, the Party of Light are as mortal as any of us and an intelligent enemy would strike off the head before feasting on the body. Herein is preserved as much of the secret defenses of Citadel Isle that they would tell me as well as that which I could discern with the Thinker's guidance. I need not tell you to use this information carefully and sparingly.

Never forget that while Aurelius lights the road, it is you that chooses the path!

-- Asran

The book was divided into four sections. The first was entitled Mundane Secrets. It detailed secret passages in and out of key buildings, caches of weapons and equipment, and some half-detailed plans for defense or evacuation of the Isle in the face of invasion. The second section was titled Mystical Secrets. It focused on listing places of Aetheric power that would be targets or strongholds in the face of assault by hostile sorcerers or beings from beyond. The third section was called Personal Secrets and recounted the few battles that Asran fought on Citadel Isle and listed some people that he either found useful or trusted. Asran entitled the last section Secrets of the Enemy and here he described the kinds of creatures that tried in the past to subvert or attack the Isle.[/i]
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Had Barrett been the emotional type, the thoughtfulness and thoroughly organized preparation - not to mention the familiar tone of his mentor - would have brought him to tears. As it was, he had to take a moment of reflection before delving further into the work. The idea of Tabeann as a "pretty young clerk" and of what "convincing" might have entailed lifted the Querist's spirits somewhat.

If there be such a thing as a repository of souls, I hope to see you there, dear friend. May the Thinker and your own forethought provide the illumination I need in order to carry on the tradition.

Of course the entire volume was of interest. An embarrassment of wealth in terms of secrets and answers. But Barrett needed to use this time wisely. What he sought most was some key to the entity's identity or nature and the possible allies he could call upon, and so he bypassed the Mundane Secrets and such to read first The Secrets of the Enemy and Personal Secrets.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The Secrets of the Enemy focused on the recent threat of the Demon Lord and its army which threatened the whole of the Seven Isles a mere decade ago. Of the demons themselves Asran said very little.

"They come in all shapes and sizes. Some are cloaked in human flesh and others flaunt their Nether form. Some are cunning, some are brutal, all wish you ill by whatever means they have at their disposal. There is no need for me to describe them. On the Aether they are twisted things. You will not mistake them for beings of this world."

On fighting them, Asran has much more to say. In essence, beings of the Nether draw strength from emotions such as hatred, anger, and fear and since they engender these feelings by their very presence, demons swiftly draw strength from those around them. Ideally, you want to face them in isolation with forces that can steel their emotions and give the demon's nothing to feed on. Positive feelings are their bane and their weakness. Displays of love or humility affect them like a hammer blow, but those that marshall such emotions in the face of demons are rare and wonderful. Prayers of faithful priests can prove powerful as can spells of life and light woven by mages. Nether will always try to warp the Aether just as the Aether will try to purge the Nether. In the end, it comes down to force of will.

The Personal Secrets section spoke of minor battles against imps or other minor spirits of the Nether. He gave some pointers on how to track them from the scene of an attack and stressed how you must begin the tracking swiftly before the Aether purged the taint of the Nether. Asran detailed prayers to Aurelius designed to reveal a beings true form and more powerful ones to force them to assume that true form. He stated that the heart of the power of Aurelius in Truth and that purity can be wielded to attack Nether beings.

As for people to trust, Asran warned against the University of Magic as a whole but recommended three mages within the school that were trustworthy: Professor Peckerton, Professor Moore, and Professor Ventalla. Zersa, tender of the Citadel garden, was described as the most pious follower of the Mother on the isle and the true keeper of her lore, more so than those in the Temple. An expert knife wielder named Benedict was hired by Asran as a bodyguard and guide into the seedier places on the Isle. He was an honorable mercanary. Once bought, he stayed bought until the job was done.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett read, and he learned about Demonic threats to the Citadel and of the essential weaknesses of the Nether creatures. He also learned a bit about Asran's exploits and relationships within Citadel and the University. But what was even more interesting was the exposure of Asran's philosophy and view of the responsibilities of the members of his own order. The priest had spoken only briefly of such things with his still-wet-behind-the-ears Dortish pupil on Oracle's Isle: there had been more urgent matters to discuss at that time. Master and student had had to settle for a comfortable yet unspoken understanding of the moral points that made them compatible.

But in this document, Barrett found Asran writing about some of the very same beliefs that he himself held true. Standards by which he strived to live up to. Asran's writing echoed Barrett's instinct. Or was it the other way around? After all, Asran had been an influence. And so had Uncle Jacob, who might very well have been a disciple of Asran's at some point...

Before Barrett allowed such musings to carry him too far off track, he returned to the reasons for which he was consulting the book. Nether could be conquered by pure Aether and force of will. Yet marshalling those things in the presence of a demon might prove troublesome indeed. Displays of love... Was that how the beast had trapped Elaine? By feeding upon and twisting her negative emotions concerned with the loss of her love and the unresolved conflict between them? Could the Mother's Song be rescued, or perhaps renewed, by the revelation of Ulder's survival and some re-establishment of the bound he shared with the bard?

The Querist need to contact Ulder. And perhaps Zersa as well. She might know of how to neutralize the corrupting effects of the demon on the Song. Barrett had read the dwarf's name on the charts of Citadel employees, but there had been nothing to indicate her true influence. Would she forgive him for the ruckus he had caused in her garden only a few days ago? Enough to trust him with what knowledge she might have of Elaine's gift? More questions - but these could be answered only by finding the people in question. But there were other things to consider first.

Asran's warning about the University was troublesome, until Barrett realized that it was the same as the Council of Citadel. Such a place of knowledge would draw many people with many ambitions. Some seeking knowledge and to fulfill their obligation to society and others seeking only power and personal gain. One must judge the individuals rather than the institution. Hopefully the professors with whom he worked had the will and wisdom - and inclination- to resist corruption. But not all of those called to Magick's path would. Take Fauna, for example. A great beauty who had obviously learned early on how to use her looks to influence people. Such power without the temperance of age or experience would make it almost impossible for her to develop anything but the most self-centered world view. She would not learn her error until it was too late - if at all. Uncomfortable as he was with the professor's decision to include the buxom "dark mage", he also appreciated that the best way to ensure she did no harm was to keep her close in sight.

Already forming pieces of the pattern by which he would attempt to thwart the demon, Barrett read on. He went back to the Mundane Secrets. Some of them would have changed and would be known to others, but they would be useful even so. Such knowledge might be just the key to escaping imprisonment or treachery should Andolin or Silk move to eliminate he Querist. And it would come in handy if Barrett's suspicion of a potential Western invasion were correct. He took time, and still more time, to memorize certain sections in detail before moving on to the Mystical Secrets. If the battle with the Nether did not go well, these places might offer the spiritual edge that the Mundane Secrets would offer against invasion or physical threats.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The section on Mundane Secrets started out with some details on how the City Guard was supposed to function with the caching of weapons or supplies for time of war. Asran found that the few he investigated were either understocked or out and out looted by nimble thieves or the Guard itself. The locations were detailed all the same. They were placed in a regular pattern which no doubt helped those who would help themselves. Various fallback positions and tactics for troops were also detailed.

On the Citadel itself, very little was told to Asran, but his gift from the Thinker was to uncover secrets and this stretched to doors and passages. There were passages from the servants areas to most of the rooms in the Citadel to allow them discrete access to the rooms. Beyond those were passages built into the audience chamber and war room meant for the Ceaser's use only. Also mentioned were the sewer systems beneath the city and tunnels between those and various key points in the city.

The Mystical Secrets started with places very obvious actually. The University was mentioned as being built over the conjunction points of many natural Aether flows and thus magic was easier to work within its confines. Within the complex, the mages were be at their strongest and the Nether forces weakest until they could corrupt and feed on the energies. Then they too would be strengthened. The Temples of Illuminatus was mentioned as being strongly warded against the influence of the Nether as was the Temple of the Mother. Zersa's garden was again spoken of a place with deep connections to the Mother and those that could channel her power would find an ally. He also mentioned the dormant and active portals in the Temple of Pecunia, the Embassy of Dort, and the University of Magic.

Asran then moved beyond the obvious. A small grove of trees grew on Citadel Isle in soil that should not support such plants. It is said that the fae inhabit them and support their growth. They would not come out and address Asran but he could sense their presence.

Moreover, the entire isle had a protector of sorts. It was a strange creature of a dual nature bearing the lightness of the Fae and the darkness of the Nether bound into a creature never truly whole. The mages that founded the University summoned these two beings, merged them into one, and yoked their wisdom to guard the Citadel from harm. Their life force was bound to that of the Citadel. If it is destroyed, so are they. Again this guardian did not reveal itself to Asran but he sensed its presence and found the records of its creation in the University Library.

Lastly, Asran wrote that he left a gift of his own here. In Zersa's garden he planted a staff within a tree and sealed it there with a rune. The staff would grow as the tree grew and absorb the energies of the garden within itself. Speaking forth the name of the rune would release the staff. Asran cautioned that he knew not what the staff would be capable of when it was released. He knew only that with time it would grow into a potent weapon against the Nether.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

That the city's planners would have created an extensive defense strategy was not a surprise to the Querist. The Citadel was an imposing fortress on an otherwise inhospitable isle. An intentional choice that implied defense had been a priority. And the original residents would not have had generations of bribery and greed and complacency to expect that no one would dare attack. The news of the sacking of supply caches, and the obvious participation if the Guard, was disappointing, but also not unexpected.

Barrett memorized the pattern of the retreats carefully. If he could not recall where each was, knowing the pattern would give him a greater chance of approximating a location. Out of curiosity, he looked beyond the apparent pattern. Such care and planning spoke of minds that would have also kept some secret caches. Either there would be no location in a place or places that the pattern would dictate should be there, or... having created a pattern whether intentionally or not, there would be the need to create something outside the pattern. For personal use, or for a select few, or for the direst circumstance. The effort not to fit the pattern would require intentional placement... which could be derived using an alternate pattern. Knowing the established defenses offered some view into the preferences of the designers... so projecting a likely "extra" location or two would be a matter of analyzing known information about the Citadel's layout and the fallback positions to sense an invisible or unintentional pattern.

There might or might not be such places, but careful analysis should hint at where they would be if they existed. Barrett found himself caught up in plotting points and three-dimensional mapping before he could stop himself. Starting with a roughly sketched map overwritten by patterns, he progressed to using the silver magick of the Thinker to conjure three-dimensional imagery from which to make his final predictions.

Of course, Asran might have done much the same thing, and the lack of mention here means that no such places exist. Then again, he might simply have had too little time to pursue such a conjecture.

Not that there was much time for Barrett either. The Querist followed his projections to a few likely solutions and made mental notes to try them out later. If nothing else, the basic layout of the Citadel proper and surrounding city were now pretty well ingrained in his memory.

The importance of the portals, even if they were no longer quite so secret, was obvious. The Temple wards were of more questionable use. There did not seem to be any champions of the Order of Light coming forth, and the Mother's own agent was in the demon's clutches...
If only we could unify the churches somehow. Not into one faith, but into a group of faiths in league with each other. Why do the gods not cooperate against the usurper? Would they fair better if their followers believed that the cooperated?

So. The mages of the University had called an experimental being into creation. It seemed grotesque to Barrett. Forcing Aether and Nether into one. Might it have caused just as much trouble as it was meant to protect against? And they had the nerve to be suspicious of Aurelians! Then again, who is to say an Aurelian wasn't to blame for the plan in the first place. Definitely a subject worth exploring.

Barrett read with some concern the accounts of Asran's attempts to communicate with Fae folk and with the mysterious guardian entity. Would his own attempts to rouse Citadel's defenses be met with such silence? How would Zersa react to questions regarding the hidden staff or the fae?

Only one way to find out for sure...

Barrett packed away his research materials into orderly stacks. Asran's book was more of a problem. He could not risk the knowledge falling into the wrong hands...

He delved into his sense of Aether, calmly concentrating and calling upon the silvery symbols of arcana.
Aurelius... Asran meant for this book to be available should it be needed. I can hardly consider myself the only one worthy of such aid, but the author's precautions should remain intact. So...
Aether symbols signifying the cloaking and uncloaking mechanisms. Asran's formula was more complex than Barrett felt comfortable with... but all he really needed to do was channel energy - The Thinker's energy - into the effort of making it fit the pattern that its creator intended.
... and so. Be safe once more from prying eyes that would seek you for destructive purposes. Safe also from unintentional scrutiny. Wait, for the time when an ally should have need.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The silver light of the Thinker played over the book and the letters of the title shifted and slid. Falling into place once more the book now read NESTOR HART SANG and appeared to be a book of poetry and musical notation. Barrett was even certain what section of the library would be perfect for it.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett smiled at the ingenuity with which Asran's work disguised itself. That factor left no doubt as to its authenticity. As the querist shelved it and put the rest of his materials in order, he wondered if he should tell Tabeann about the book.

Assuming she has not already discovered it... But then she would have pointed it out to me. Or perhaps not, knowing that I am happier at discovering things for myself...

The Dortman hummed a soft tune, contmplating who Nestor Hart might be and whether the name would make for a good cover in the taverns. In a merry mood - as merry as could be expected given the circumstances - he made his way from the Archives and through the halls of Citadel, ever alert for any sign of surveillance. As he passed guardposts, he tried his friendly nod and occasional banter with the new staff. He wanted to see how they compared to the old familiar Purple Guard.

At last, he made his way out to the Garden... his goal was to find Zersa and ask her for some advice.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

His nod and banter got a mixed result from the few members of the Imperial Guard that Barrett passed. With the Purple Guard, any passerby was guarenteed a polite nod in return and a few shared words if time permitted. The Whites were not so uniform. Some didn't even acknowledge the nod while others were gabby to the point of clearly preferring that to guarding anything. Even those conversations lacked the smooth polish of the Purples and instead was an excuse to gossip.

Soon he found himself in the stunningly lush Garden. All plants of the entire realm must surely have been gathered here for the Caeser's pleasure. Hundreds of different sensations prickle the nose as Barrett passed by peculiar formed flowers in the most dazzling colors. Passing several 'strategically' placed benches under lanterns he arrived at an area where some trees were offering shade with their branches sorrowfuly bent down over a few grassy meadows.

The style here was very classical, with pure red roses and tigerlillies, but awe-inspiring nonetheless. At the end of the path Barrett arrived at the Herbal Garden, nicely fenced with some low wooden pickets. The Garden itself looked like a regular wilderness and one surely has to know a fair amount of herbs in general to be able to determine all the differents sorts of herbs present here. The smell of the Herbal Garden was very sharp and different then all that he has passed through previously.

Slowly an older dwarven lady bent up from checking a plant and tottled closer. Her blond-grey hairs were braided stylishly down the whole length of her back. The simple green tunic and reddish skirt she wore blended in with the flowers about her. She leaned heavily on a simple wooden cane. She greeted Barrett with a dry voice :
"Good day to you, archivist. How can Zersa help you?" While lifting a brow, she sized up the young scholar before her.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

The Herb Garden reminded Barrett vaguely of his mother’s own garden at home. Only on a much grander scale. Even though he could not identify more than a handful of its contents, it was comforting - in contrast to some of the more exotic areas of the Palace Gardens.

Of course, there was Barrett’s earlier efforts in the garden to account for: the dreadful result of his attempt to mix Scatha’s crystal with Elaine’s song. Still, he could not suppress a smile at the memory of the Dortwoman’s hijinks with the whip.

And here was the caretaker, the keeper of the garden, the dwarf whose song had seemed to blend with that of the bard Finodborn on that prior visit. Zersa. The potential ally mentioned in Asran’s book. Citadel’s true authority on the Mother’s nature. Idly, Barrett wondered why Andolin had neglected to consult her regarding the earlier problems. Perhaps the man did not realize her significance.

“My lady, Zersa.”
He bowed deeply to the aged dwarf.
“I hope you can help me, or at least educate me regarding the nature of the Mother’s Song that has been given voice in the bard Elaine. I do not know how much you know of the events outside this blessed place, or what - if any – influence and magick you may be able to contribute to her… rescue.”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Zersa had hoped for an easy question. She wanted to identify an herb for him or send him back to his archives for an ancient scholar that could talk for her. Instead, Barrett asked the questions that made her heart bleed.

A single tear fell down the aged dwarf's face. "I know the isle screams where once it sang." She croaked. "I know a foul thing has oozed forth from its heart like pus from a wound." The hand that gripped the cane went white-knuckled. "I know I have spent a lifetime listening to voices that now are stilled."

Zersa stumbled backward and fell onto her rear. The tears flowed freely now. "I don't know anything anymore." She sobbed.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett - having arrived at the garden as part of a rather linear, logical process – had not quite imagined what Zersa’s response would be. A simple, or even complicated, yes-or-no perhaps peppered with choice bits of dwarven or Mother’s wisdom? Given the rather robust and somewhat stoic nature of most of the dwarves he’d encountered, her emotional reaction caught him completely off guard.

As such, it bypassed his normal coping mechanism: the mental trait that allowed him to analytically keep his own doubts and fears in check. The image of a very upset older female falling to tears put him in mind of his own mother and caused a primal reaction of concern and compassion. He went down to his own knees and reached for her hands to steady her, and hold her if needed until the sobbing stopped.

“Come, come, madam. Do not despair so. Still voices may yet sing again and the land be made whole. Our greatest mages and warriors are to be called forth to battle this evil. And with the Mother on their side, and a trick or two of a determined Thinker, I think there is hope yet.”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Zerza thankfully clung to his hands as she struggled to stem the flow of tears. The warmth of his hands in hers did as much to settle her as the sincereity of his words. She smiled at him through the tears and squeezed his hands.

"So men of courage do still walk this land." Zerza sniffed and let go of Barrett's hands to wipe away the tears from her face. "The land used to be my greatest comfort. Now walking this earth pricks at me like a hedge of nettles."

"All the magics once woven into what was thought to be the everlasting stones, weaken and become brittle. The stone wall has become a spiderweb." She raised her head to truly look at Barrett. "Trick of the Thinker, eh?" Zerza looked at him shrwedly. "You follow another's path do you not? Here I thought Thinker's were meant to find truth's on their own." She mildly chided him. "Come, help me up, young pup. Ask your questions."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

The younger man eagerly lent his support to the gardener. Her change of tone was uplifting - as if by helping her he was also bolstering his own strength.

“Thinkers do find truths on their own, but considering the stakes of this battle it may be best to let my own path be guided by the wisdom of others – at least in part. A good soil within which I can set the roots of my planning. There is also the fact of the coming war. I am hoping to find a basis upon which to build a formal alliance of all of the faiths of the Isles.”

“What I had most hoped to ask about was the Song. If it is a gift of the Mother’s, could the Mother not prevent the demon from using it? And how would one best defend against its misuse? Is there a way to clear the creature’s influence from the bard’s soul so that she can sing true once more?”

“There is, I believe, a staff that has been fed of the Mother’s energy within one of your trees. If we could get it to Elaine, might it help free her of the Nether influence or is it likely to fall prey to the same corruption?”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Zersa struggled to her feet and regained her cane. "The Song was always here, Thinker. It is the tune of creation, the harmony that underlies each interaction of the land and the beings upon it. The only gift the Mother gave Elaine was the ability to hear it. The rest has come from Elaine herself."

Zersa bent down and pulled a weed from her herb beds. "The only thing that can control Elaine singing is Elaine. Though there are times I wish it was not so, the gift of free will is not one the god's take back in times of troubles and they are loath to touch the world directly. Perhaps they are busy, perhaps there are prices they do not wish to pay, perhaps they fear." Zersa shrugged. "Even the Mother has to let her children grow and make their own mistakes."

Zersa shook her head sadly as he spoke of cleansing Elaine. "You do not understand, Thinker. Elaine is as she always was. To tamper with her risks removing her ability to hear. It is the Song that has changed! It is the isle that needs to be cleansed. Unfortunately, it heals like any poisoned wound, very very slowly. It would heal faster were Elaine to sing to it the True Song. Therein lies the problem. With this cacaphony in our ears, how do we sing sweetly and true? The Song was sprouting discordant notes ere she ever arrived here to hear it. No, I am afraid the way back will be a slow one Thinker, but a sure path if the Nether forces are banished."

Zerza's eyes twinkled when Barrett mentioned the staff. "Someone had the prudence to remove that object from the tree before it began to store the corrupted energies of the isle." Zersa steadied herself carefully on both feet and held up her walking stick for Barrett to examine. "As you can see, it is not quite a staff anymore, but the energies within remain potent."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett let his senses dip into the Aetherial to view the walking stick and to examine both the dwarf and the surrounding gardens for signs of magickal patterns.

"Perhaps a comment about knowing when to harvest what one plants is appropriate. If only Asran were still with us to be chided."
The Querist sighed, wondering if he were truly fit to fill the older priest's shoes.

"So the problem is not to change Elaine, but to help her... hear this True Song? Might that be accomplished by means of the energies within this?"
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Attuning himself to the Aether, Barrett almost had to turn away his eyes from the brightness of the cane. It was life, purer and stronger than any person or being he had ever seen. It might have been imagination but Barrett actually felt refreshed in its presence. Examining Zersa was somewhat difficult with the beacon of the cane in her hands but she too glowed strongly with life. The cane and dwarf resonated with the same power.

As such, the surrounding garden looked almost sickly in comparison. The plants still grew even thrived but they lacked the beauty and the purity that Barrett saw in the cane. Where the energies of the cane meshed and strengthened Zersa, the energies of the garden were now off wavelength, discordant notes to her inner ear. Even so, the patterns of life were strengthened in the garden. It was not the life Zersa knew for countless yahren, yet by the will of the Mother life still flourished here.

"This cane is the only source of the True Song that remains." Zersa confirmed. "I know not what Elaine could do with this, but it will bring her strength. It may not be enough to break the demon's hold over her but it is the best chance we have." Zersa hesitated not a moment before placing the cane in Barrett's hand. "I trust you Thinker." She said simply. "Do what must be done."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett stood in awe of the energy within the cane and the life force of the gardener. Her words and action indicated a level of confidence greater than that of the Thinker in question, but he refused to dampen what little hope he had wakened in Zersa.

“It may not need to break the demon’s hold on Elaine… if I can find Ulder. Love may break the hold, in which case the True Song can empower her to fight it more effectively. I pray that the morningtide sun rises on a healing land.”

Not wishing to prolong this meeting needlessly – he had received both advice and a weapon and there was still the task of seeking out the Captain – Barrett offered the dwarf his deepest, most respectful bow before departing her domain.

Of course there was one major preparation to undertake before venturing out. The cane – Barrett chose to think of it as the Bough – was a potent source of life energy. One that was likely to act as a beacon to those who sensed Aether energy. In order to survive long enough to get close to Elaine, he would have to conceal it somehow.

He retreated to an unused storage area in the depths of the Archives and turned his Aether sight and his analytical abilities to the problem. Even if he could dim such a potent energy, it would still be noticeable. And he did not wish to damage or interfere with its eventual use. So a magical screen of some sort. Similar to his stealth formulae. A pattern formed about him. Experience had taught him that expanding the pattern to cover a broader space was more demanding in energy and concentration, so he kept it small.

Now, for the actual concealment. Not the “invisibility” that he had used before. More of a camouflage. He pulled upon his own familiar energies in the name of Aurelius, and to sustain them he drew a tiny portion of the Bough’s own energy. These he patterned with the intent of reflecting a “no change” status in the ambient energies through which he would be passing. To completely snuff out his energy would be just as conspicuous as having no shield. So the pattern would sense the energy nearby and mimic it. Thus Barrett and his burden would be, at least from a magical standpoint, unremarkable. Or so he hoped. The drawback would be that this protection would require maintenance and prevent him from using magic for anything else while it was in place.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Barrett found that with total concentration he could completely hide the energies of the Bough. The trick was to spread the extra energy signature out far enough so that the extra was barely noticable. Unfortunately, Barrett had to concentrate to the point not being able to walk or converse. Working backward from there, Barrett found a level where he could comfortably maintain the illusion without undue stress. The overall effect looked like Barrett had some undefined magic upon him. It was noticable upon the Aether but not overly remarkable.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Satisfied that he had constructed as workable a solution as was practical, Barrett moved on to the next task on his list: the search for Captain Ulder. And while Barrett still thought of him as the heroic leader of the Purple Guard, the current Citadel reality indicated that the hero in question was to be found outside Citadel proper.

So, the Dortman headed to what he considered to be the most logical place to start his search: the Dragon.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Fin. The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Skilled by a free thinker!
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”