CIT: Out of breath at the Citadel Archives ~ Sam 28GT

Moderator: Mods

Jolanda

CIT: Out of breath at the Citadel Archives ~ Sam 28GT

Post by Jolanda »

BANG BANG BANG

Jolanda was out of breath as she hammered on the door of the archives, the note that Barratt had given her in her hand, visions of hounds poised to attack in her mind. She had run to the Archives, Rosalie would have been disgusted at the undignified haste that Jolanda had not even attempted to conceal.

BANG BANG BANG

She bashed on the door again... it was late, she imagined she'd have to wake some keeper from a drowse.
Last edited by Jolanda on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Perhaps coming to the Archives in the dead of the night has been a wrong choice. Nothing moved. Nobody answered Jolanda's call. Maybe there was nobody there. Then, a sliver of light came from under the doors. Flicker by flicker it grew, and soon footsteps came from within. Almost a burn after the girl banged upon the door, bolts moved, barely audible as they were well kept well oiled.

The door opened a mere hand-span, a sleepy face of a man peeking through. His blond hair was disheveled and a white nightshirt was the only thing covering his body. His bare foot peeked through the crack as he pushed a candle through the door, noticing the visitor after a moment. "Yes? What is it? The Archives are closed. Come in the morning." He started closing the door, seeing how it hardly was an emergency. The books would wait. That was the good thing about books. They were reliable.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Perhaps coming to the Archives in the dead of the night has been a wrong choice, Jolanda was half about to turn and chase on back after the others when a slither of light blinked under the door.

So she waited, and waited, ""Com-on" she growled quietly through her teeth, jiggling on her toes as she waited the yarhen's it took for the candle bearer to approach the door.

Then finally the door opened, but a little, the second man she'd disturbed in a nightshirt that day, his voice groggy as he made to show her away. "Not so quickly." Jolanda was not half asleep, and pulled on the door moving quickly to place herself in a position to bar it's being easily closed. "I know the archives are closed, but it's a lady I'm here to see and it's a matter of urgency most important that I see her. I've got a note." she waved the paper about, her eyes bored into his - she was not about to be easily dismissed.

"Barrett sent me, and if you don't know who he is, then let me assure you that Mistress Tabeann does. Come now, help me out wont you? I can make it worth your while, need be."

Realising that she'd come on a bit strong for someone who was (she looked him over speculating to his tastes) likely prancing in the Aether with some blonde nymph a few burns ago, she took a breath and forced herself to calm down.

"Now what say you take me to this little lady, right?" around Jolanda's neck hung the Star.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The boy, for he could not have been more than fourteen frowned, when Jolanda's foot wedged in the door, pondering whether to kick her shin and get her to move so he could go back to sleep when she mentioned Barrett. Head tilted to the side, Joseph tried to think real hard, which was proving to be somewhat of a problem since he was so sleepy. In the end the decision was easy, since he had never seen Mistress Tabeann angry, so it was safe to wake her up even if what Jolanda had to say was utter nonsense.

With a snort he opened the door wide, letting her in, and closing the door once she entered, bolting it once more. Pointing to a bench nearby he lit a candle using the one he had and grumbled. "Wait here. I'll go wake Mistress Tabeann up." He left her there, moving deeper into the library, disappearing amongst the numerous shelves, though a light moved deeper into the chamber, a soft glow visible over the top of the shelves. Soon, even the glow disappeared, leaving the visiting girl all alone and in utter silence. The candle burning in the holder near her burned steadily, the flickering light casting shadows upon the wall behind Jolanda.

Eternity passed, time tricking away. Then without a sound announcing her approach, white clad lady appeared from between the shelves. Long blond hair fall down her shoulders, he green eyes shining in the candlelight. She was barefoot, and did not look the least bit sleepy despite the hour. Coming to a stop before Jolanda she arched a brow, her voice holding a song-like quality to it. "Joseph tell me, Barrett sent you. How can I help you, my child?" The woman before her could not have been more than a couple years older, than Jolanda, yet her eyes spoke of a vast experience and wisdom.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Jolanda had plenty of time to think while she waited, though many of her thoughts were unwelcome... the smell of so many books was displeasing, so many thoughts contained therein felt to weigh upon her, so many mysteries and understandings, of which she knew naught. This was not her rightful place... doubts crept in as she wondered what she was doing here.

The candle spluttered, drawing her attention to it's warm glow, a glow that reminded her so much of her home, of her family, and her fathers cheery little candle shop. That was were she was supposed to be. But no, she had dreams beyond herself, she had ventured out with naught but a few banner in her pocket and high hopes. What am I doing here?

She had much time to think and to question her own sanity for falling in with a mix of people who thought of others skins before their own. What are they doing, and why? Nothing seemed to make sense... she considered leaving, letting herself out and slinking away back to obscurity where nothing she did mattered. What kept her there? Her own curiosity... curiosity that was largely in wondering why she had been admitted into the demon hunting troupe. Perhaps they see something in me that I do not? she wondered, she hoped that it was true -- the weighted silence troubled her mind with introverted thoughts, memories of the magnificent Sir Hagen haunting her still. If I do well, he might be proud of me.

Then she arrived, Mistress Tabeann. Jolanda stood out of respect for the robed woman, the sage and wise look in her eyes caused Jolanda to feel even more out of place. "He gave me a note, he said I might ask for your assistance. He is embarked upon a mission, I fear for his life and others... I don't want to fail them, but I know not what I can actually do."

She felt uncomfortable, and passed the woman the note. Barrett must be trusted to this woman, whereas Jolanda was but a stranger arrived in the dead of night. "He wrote this, Mistress Tabeann."

It was not the best example of his calligraphy, but the Mistress of the Archives would recognize it easily as Barrett’s hand. wrote:
Mistress Tabeann-
This woman has taken on the daunting task of keeping watch over a dangerous sorceress (Fauna Winthrope, an associate of Andolin’s). Please help her if she has need.

-B

After she had had time to read it Jolanda explained, "Fauna made a threat to Captain Ulder when he told her she would not be in the troupe that confronted the Changer. I volunteered to mind her, though I don't know how I might really do so at all, really, I fear I might already have let them down by leaving her now - only when matters come to a climax I know I shan't have time to seek advice then. I don't know what she is capable of, nor do I know how I might prevent her if she decides to betray the others."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The white clad lady took the note from Jolanda’s hands, her eyes flying over it, then returning to the top, before they looked upon the messenger. “I know of this Fauna. She is Major Domos’ advisor on matters arcane. But, I am not sure how I can help you. Did Barrett tell you anything more of what he wanted me to do. I am not a mage my dear. I can do very little against a sorceress at a distance. The best I can do is give you advice.” She sighed and motioned towards the bench that Jolanda vacated less than a burn ago.

Mistress Tabeann waited till the girl sat, before she joined her. “I can tell you of magick, but unless you have some talent in it, there is not much you can do to stop a mage. Short of inflicting physical injury upon her. But, you know that already. I truly do not understand why Barrett sent you to me.” She arched a brow, and then a mere flicker later her back straightened. “Unless…. But, not it can’t be it. Using that would be more trouble than it is worth.” She seemed reluctant to tell more of her last idea, instead waiting on Jolanda to offer a solution.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

Well Jolanda hadn't known that, though perhaps she would have resorted to a physical attack on Fauna if matters came to that point anyhow. "No, Barrett did not indicate what..." she fell silent, taking a seat.

"I wondered, if this might be any help?" she ventured apologetically, touching the necklace she had received from the vault. "I didn’t mean to waste your time. I'd wondered if there was some manner to, perhaps know if she was remaining true to the others. I think she might turn, if it looks like the Changer has the upper hand."

"I talked to her, and... well perhaps that is all I can really hope to do then, as long as she has hope for the others to thwart it then she is unlike to turn against them." she twisted her lips, wanting to ask what was this thing that was too much trouble to attempt. She had to trust this woman’s wisdom in these matters of which she knew naught.

"Perhaps he sent me here, to you, because you are in his thoughts." she said quietly, "something like this has one start to think about what is really important in ones life. I'm guessing you are very important to him." she paused, meeting Tabeann's eyes woman to woman, "Things are not always so simple to be what they appear."

"But time is short, I feel delinquent to dally here, when I have given my word to watch over the sorceress." She begun to excuse herself, “Sorry to disturb you, I hope we meet again under more gentle circumstances.”
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mistress Tabeann smiled gently and shook her head, catching Jolanda's wrist and pulling her back. "You really ought to listen more carefully. I said I can not do much. I did not say I can not do anything. Please, sit down." As gentle as her grip was it was unrelenting, and she simply held upon the girl's wrist until she sat down again. "That thing you have about you neck. It is the Star of Brilliance is it not? Well, that my dear is already a great help, even though you might not know it." She smiled, tilting the head to one side and examining the pendant. "You know how they say that cats have nine lives. Well, you now have ten. Each of the nine gems on the pendant will protect you from one attack and then it will shatter. You at least are protected against Fauna."

She paused, appearing thoughtful for a couple of flickers, before turning towards Jolanda once more. "I can do a bit more I suppose. I don't know if you are aware of it, but Fauna was possessed by a malevolent spirit a while ago. It was never cast out, but merely contained within her. And I think that might be why she is acting that way. I can cast a ward upon you that might enable you to detect dark emotions and evil intentions within her. It won't tell you exactly what she is planning or feeling, but at least you will have a warning." She paused and arched a brow. "And if you can think of some other magickal protection that you would find useful, feel free to tell me and I will see if I can put it into enchantment."
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

So Jolanda eased back onto the seat, turning to face Mistress Tabeann, her eyes widening as the woman explained the brilliance of the star. "Praise..." she almost thanked her goddess, but no, that could not be it, for Jolanda knew Pecunia had abandoned her. "That is a marvel." she uttered instead, picking up the curious tangle of stones and looking at it anew, feeling braver for knowing it's power.

"Yes, that would surely purchase precious time, let's hope it shall not be needed, I can't think of what else might be prudent." she replied about the enchantment, then thinking about what she'd said about Fauna. "Did she not have the dark spirit cast out from her own choice, even if she didn’t want it to remain, it must make her feel... linked to such some how." she fell silent remembering what Fauna had told her when they were alone. Curiously she felt again sympathy for the blonde, who seemed at times so dangerous, but then again, vulnerable...

"No." she decided then, "a warning is all I shall want. I have promised to do what I can to protect the other from her, but too, I want to protect her from herself. I haven't any fancy powers, but I'm here, and I think that perhaps I shall find a purpose using those resources that I do possess." she did not want to say it out loud what tools she thought to use, but harboured those thoughts in the silence of her heart.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"No, my dear. From what I heard it was too dangerous to try to completely banish the entity, and in the end it was decided that they would trap it within her instead. Mind you, this I only heard from tale, I did not witness it. Professor Ventella and Professor Peckerton knew that such a thing would not be permanent and as such she was to be watched every time she left the University." She sighed. "Fauna had other plans. She went to Major Domo and offered her services to him in exchange for his protection. Now it seems she never truly wanted to get that evil thing out of her. Maybe you should go see Professor Peckerton and tell him of what you saw? in the morning?"

The adhiel smiled, squeezing Jolanda's hand for a moment, before rising. "Please, try to relax. This will only take a little." Mistress Tabeann placed one hand upon Jolanda's forehead, weaving an intricate pattern through the air with the other, her fingers seemingly grasping thin air, before she pressed it against the back of the hand that rested on Jolanda's forehead. She was right. It lasted barely a few flickers and there was no change whatsoever. At least no visible change. "There. It is done. Please be careful. I wish I could do more, I truly do. Stay safe, my dead. I hope we get a chance to meet again."
Jolanda

Post by Jolanda »

"Professor's Ventella and Peckerton sound to be the wiser persons in this tale," Jolanda replied, her dislike of the Major Domo further increased, did the man achieve no good? "Yes. Yes I shall seek him out on the morrow and tell what I know. Once you tell, then it's not your problem no more." she gave a wry smile at becoming a messenger of sorts, first Ulder and now this Professor.

So Jolanda took a breath and closed her eyes as she found calm as Mistress Tabeann wrought the enchantment... when she opened her eyes she felt no different at all. But she must have done something. Jolanda figured. "Yes, yes next time we'll..." she hesitated as she discovered nothing to offer, "... well I shant be coming to you in the middle of the night at least." She touched wood.

Arising, "Thank you, you have been most kind."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Mistress Tabeann chuckled at Jolanda comments on how problems disappeared once they were transferred onto another, but that was not quite how it worked. Yet, the girl was in an improved mood and she was not about to ruin it with a philosophical discussion. "Take care, my dear. And try to watch out for Barrett. I have grown quite fond of him, I'm afraid." She gently ushered Jolanda to the door, seeing her out herself, remaining in the doorway for a long while watching the girl walk away.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived with no skills awarded.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”