Audience at the Archives MT SAM 29th

Moderator: Mods

Danomel

Audience at the Archives MT SAM 29th

Post by Danomel »

Danomel had gotten a somewhat later start this morning than he had planed. With the exception of one or two idiosyncrasies, he was never overly concerned about his appearance. But because the meeting he was heading for was important to him, he had forced himself to devote some time to it this morning.

Even with the personal importance of this meeting, Danomel took his time walking to the Archives. Partly because he had taken some time on his personal appearance and did not want to arrive all sweaty. But mostly because he had never had an occasion to visit the Archives before. He was early enough that he was not overly concerned about getting lost. It was rather a desire to look around this section of the city. It was an interesting study in contrast to see how the various sections of the Citadel differed. The inner ring had its own unique flavor, as compared to the outer ring. Yet each was part of the same city and therefore had to also share many similarities.

Eventually, Danomel felt it was late enough in the morning, and approached to gates to the Imperial Archive.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Opening at the northern wing of the Citadel was a five-storey library. A balcony extended the full length of the wall, with a grand staircase rising to the left and another descending to the right, and providing access to this level from either side. The vast open space before them provided a view of each level, rising up to a tinted glass dome at its apex. There was row upon row of dark wood bookcases, filled with tomes, scroll tubes, tablets and all manner of other materials that could hold the written word or image. At the bottom of this grand entry, were many desks and tables, some occupied while others were spread with all manner of materials, as if someone was in the process of studying their contents.

It was a rather quiet morningtide that day, with only a single boy of perhaps fourteen yahren moving about, searching the shelves for something. He pulled a rather large tome out, moving it to the nearby table, and spotted Danomel, looking up from the book, and closing it once more. The boy wiped his hands on the robe, and moved around, approaching the visitor with a pleasant smile upon his face. "Good morningtide, sir. Welcome to the Archives. Can I be of some assistance?" He paused, arching a brow in expectation.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel finds himself a little bit overwhelmed by the sheer size of the Archives. For several flickers he just stares. He had never seen so many written works together in one place before. He reflected that this was similar to his initial impression of the repository. This was definitely a different world from the one he grew up in.

Realizing that he is being addressed, Danomel turns his attention towards the young man addressing him. “Yes, uh…, I am supposed to be meeting a scholar by the name of Barrett here this morning. Though I fear I may be somewhat early. I have heard much of the Imperial Archives, and wanted a bit of time to see it first. I must say I am very impressed.”

Danomel again glances around the Archives.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

"Barrett? I am afraid you may indeed be a bit early. he left yesterday and still has not returned." The boy motioned towards the tables in the back. "But, please take a seat and feel free to wait upon him if hat is your wish. I am a bit busy at the moment, but perhaps you might find something to read while you wait?" He arched a brow. "Feel free to browse the tomes, but please try not to damage any."

OOC: If you wish to do something IC, just post something to that effect. If you simply wish to wait for Barrett, post once more and see with him about his attendance. I'll just keep watching you to gentlemen.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nods at the youths words. Rather than take one of the indicated seats, he move among the shelves looking at the collection of books.

As he moves among the shelves, Danomel ponders the direction his life is currently taking. He reflected that he always seemed to be on the edge of things. Even the incident with the Book of Storms seemed somewhat small and insignificant now.

Picking something at random, Danomel returned to the seat and opened the book. He wondered how long it would take Barrett to show up.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

When Barrett appeared, he looked quite different from the man Danomel had encountered at the Repository. There were dark circles under the Dortman's eyes and the skin of his face was drawn taught with strain. He also looked... older somehow. Some of the life seemed to have been taken out of him: his hair less lustrous, his skin more pale.

Still, there was honest joy in his eyes to see Danomel at the Archives. And his voice resonated with good cheer.
"There, good man. I hope I have not kept you waiting too long."

He was dressed in a simple robe of black cloth which he pulled close about him as if to avoid chilly draft.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomnel Stood up as Barrett approached. “Do not worry. I don’t see how anyone could possibly be bored, this place is fascinating.” Danomel glances around at all the shelves of books.

“But what has transpired with you? While we have not shared company much, I have to say that you have looked better. Please sit, you really look in need of some rest.”

Looking around to see if the youth is still working in the area, Danomel closes the book he was looking at and raises his voice a little. “Let me just return this to its proper spot!”
Turning back to Barrett, “Polite enough when I came in, but I think he is a little suspicious. Be back in a moment.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"What indeed. Too much study, not enough sleep. A night spent struggling with things that beeded to be sorted out. And, I fear only more work to greet me this day. No rest in sight for this Thinker."
There was a dry chuckle at that.
"But the rest that is to come... will be a long one. I take solace in that."

"But how has your own search fared? Have you solved your mystery of the lady or the swan yet?"
The twinkle of information itching to be shared chased some of the fatigue from Barrett's face.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

"A moment". Danomel quickly returns the book to its proper place and returns to Barrett.

"I have not really had the chance to pursue the matter further, as the person in question has been otherwise occupied" Danomel states. "Your asking, just personal curiosity or have you discovered some additional information?"

Danomel takes a flicker to glance around the Archives. "And I have a few questions that I need to ask you that is related to some of the information you related to me the other day. But let us not get the two mixed up."

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"I can confirm the recent presence of a Swanmaid on Citadel. However, I cannot say if she is the woman you saw. Nor would I want to deprive you of the thrill of hunting out the information for yourself. If you reach a dead end in the investigation, ask me again later."

The games we thinkers must play. What did Asran tell me about certain types of assistance being "against the rules"? Of course, this probably doesn't qualify, but he really should be allowed to search on his own for a bit...

Barrett sighed. His eyes closed in concentration for a flicker while he projected a shield against eavesdropping. It was subtle, but Danomel might notice the air was a bit more still, the occasional rustling of pages that had come from other areas of the Archives silenced.

"I thought you might have questions. We can speak freely here, brother. You have visited your Panling friend again?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel smiles at the sudden quieting in their general area. Have to learn how to do that!

“Be that way then!” Danomel lets out a short laugh, and smiles at Barrett. If he has meet Ceris, then he must have been to the University, and probably has knowledge of what transpired at the temple!

“From your comments, I assume you have been to the University then?” Which probably means you have recent information on the goings on at the Temple of Pan.”

“It seems the current set of problems at the Temple of Pan have been caused by a book, something called…” Danomel lowers his voice to a whisper. “…Libre Malificarus.”

Danomel focuses on Barrett. “I recall something similar came up in our last meeting. So I am making an assumption that they are related. From what I learned from you, I don’t know if it is a good thing that it was taken into the university.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Yes..." Barrett seemed hesitant to speak on the subject for some reason. But surely the basic knowledge he possessed should be shared. A warning about the possibility of other volumes surfacing.

"The Liber... the work of demons riding the mind of a madman. A good example of how the quest for knowledge or power may lead one into areas best left undiscovered or untouched. So many wonders in our universe – yet some seemed determined to ignore them all in favor of exploring the Nether. They get what they deserve, but then others must pay the price. In this instance the price extends far beyond any one person or group of people."

"I believe the Liber was created with the purpose of training dark sorcerers and the price of that service is that it empowers the Nether creatures to have a grasp on our Tether world... I say 'it' but I should say 'they' : there are several volumes. From what I have read there are individual volumes as well as one original, complete copy. All of them are cursed texts – traps for those who give in to the temptation to use them."

"Just now, the best place for the tome we have recovered is the University. It has less chance of being accidentally unleashed and Mentor Motrice's wards are quite potent. But I do not think it should reside there for long. Not all of the members of the University can resist such temptations. Indeed I believe they have been infiltrated at a high level by practitioner's of Dark Magicks. I have a plan... when the time comes, I may ask for your help. But I am confident that the book that unleashed the Changer can be neutralized."

"I only fear that the bold success of this demon may draw other volumes of the Liber to surface here in Citadel. With the coming conflict, there will be scarce resources to spare in fighting any more Nether attacks."

( OOC: Crikey! Sorry about the long wait. :oops: )
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As Danomel listens to Barrett’s words, Danomel’s eyes seem to loose focus as he lets his mind wander. Should ask Barrett what the best way to proceed is with this interview with the Imperial Archivist. Don’t want to blow it, and my request is probably somewhat unusual. And I don’t really have a good reason for going to the university. Wonder what the cost will be?

Neuutralized?!? Danomel focuses on Barrett for a flicker, replaying his comments in his minds eye.

“Interesting choice of words. By your description of the… ahh… books nature, I can only postulate a few ways it could be neutralized, and then only for a time. It has been my experience that there is a sort of synergy about these things, I suspect that neutralizing the original would probably be a requirement for a more permanent solution. We are talking about a copy here, I hope?”

“I am more than willing to help in any way I can, when you need it. Do not hesitate to contact me.”

Danomel pauses for another flicker. “Not to change the subject, but getting back to the reason I came today, anything I should know before speaking with the Imperial Archivist?”
Last edited by Danomel on Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"A copy? Not exactly... more like a sister volume. The original exists as do 'original' versions of each volume. All of them are cursed quite potently. And there are ways to cut the connection to the complete tome if such connection exists... but let us not dwell on it overmuch. Your visit here should be an occasion of joy."

"As for Mistress Tabeann... I am sure you will find her quite open, but remember that she is a busy woman. Your request for help, therefore, should be specific. I offer also this general advice: that any information you obtain from others – myself included – you must filter for yourself. Interpret it in light of who they are, how they perceive the world and the intention they might have in sharing the information. Even allies who mean well may be bad sources if their moral judgments or worldviews corrupt the information they pass on to you. But knowing these things can allow you to extrapolate some true data from even faulty sources."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel considers Barretts words for a few flickers. “Although that sounds incredibly cynical, I have to admit the truth to your words. My father used to say that for most of us perception trumps truth, which for some reason always seemed to annoy my mother. Unfortunately, I have lived long enough to see the truth of that saying, even the hardest facts can get colored in the telling.”

“But that is a conversation for another night over a good dinner and bottle of wine, I think.

I would say that what I am seeking here is pretty basic. I have been studying the aether, and not as just an intellectual past time. My time here has made me aware of a need to delve deeper into the subject. Ones first thought would be the university, but I can neither afford it, nor do I have a strong desire to do an apprenticeship. I have also seen first hand how a little knowledge and/or control, can cause some ahh … lets say interesting problems.

Since I do plan on continuing my studies, I really need to know how to go about it as safely as possible. I have been told that I need to learn how to shield, and how to be aware of the aether at will, rather than just randomly.

As you say, the imperial Archivist is a busy person. So I should ask what would be fair trade in this situation. I have the feeling I am going to be asking for more than I am aware of at this point. And I feel I should be bringing something to the table.”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"The path of University student is not for our kind: too many rules and oaths and obligations. Our obligation is to Knowledge and to learning by the strength of our own minds, our individual experiences and our faith."

"As for a fair trade... there is plenty of work assisting the Archivist. There are also many possible missions to do with the demons and the conflict with the West. If Mistress Tabeann cannot help you, return to me and I will attempt to awaken the potential within you through ceremony. Once you take the first steps, the process of learning will fall upon your own shoulders. There are rules preventing the more advanced members of our order from directly teaching information to those newly initiated. In this way, each of our paths to Knowledge is unique."

Barrett smiled, remembering his initial frustration at belonging to an "invisible" order on Oracle's Isle.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel smiles Barretts comments. “At first glance, one might consider that a group that places a premium on knowledge and learning, yet also imposes restrictions on the sharing of the same, could only be described by some form of oxymoron, as it seems to embody those characteristics.”

With a sigh, Danomel continues. “Yet one can also not help but admit a perverse sort of logic to the system. It does discourage laziness and keeps one from taking for granted hard won knowledge. While it might make for an interesting conversation, it is not my purpose to debate the values of such a system today.”

“So when do I get to meet Mistress Tabeann?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Actually, it is healthy to analyze the possible reasons for the restrictions placed upon our order. It helps the student understand his place in the universe. Or it is supposed to, or at least that is one interpretation."
Barrett chuckled.
"We value independent thought. In dire circumstances we may live or die by the strength of mind alone... Sharing, then, is an exercise that comes later. Once one has developed proper perspective on what may or may not be good to share and with whom."

"I fear I am babbling now. Even a Thinker needs his rest occasionally and I have pushed my limits in that regard. I think it is time for me to excuse myself."

"I suggest you do a little research on Aurelians and the codes that tradition has established for our lives. It might prove enlightening to consider the possible origins and intentions of the limitations within which we must work."

"I beg you will excuse me now, my time for meditation is long overdue. I am certain that Mistress Tabeann will be with you shortly. In the meantime, feel free to explore the archives."

Barrett gave a polite, perhaps overly formal bow. While his smile was genuine - he did enjoy the opportunity to converse with Danomel - it was clear that fatigue was getting the better of him. He summoned one of the younger clerks to tend to Danomel's needs before sending a quick note to Tabeann and returning to his quarters to meditate and regain strength for the continued struggle.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel nods his understanding of Barretts situation. "Yes, by all means. Take care of your personal needs. I did not intend to keep you from them."

Glancing across the rows of book laden shelves, Danomel smiles. "And anyway, there is plenty here to hold my interest."

As Barrett departs, Danomel wonders how long he might have to wait. Not that he discounted Barretts assurances, but he was not feeling all that confident about the upcoming interview. After all, he was once again blundering around in areas and dealing with people where he had no real experience.

As he waits, Danomel moves slowly among the stacks, looking at titles, but not really seeing them. His mind being otherwise occupied with considerations of the contrasts between this are of the city and many of the others. The differences were evident in the little details. The streets here were wider and in much better repair. Everything was cleaner. There were significantly fewer people out on the street involved in hustle and bustle of daily life. And those who were for the most part gainfully employed, not hanging out or loitering.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was not but a flicker after Danomel found his way into the shelves, that hurried steps sounded behind him and soon a regal looking lady of obvious adhiel descent stood at his side. "You must be Danomel. I am sorry if I kept you waiting, but there were some things that demanded my immediate attention. How may I be of assistance?" The lady's long blond hair spilled across her shoulder, and she wore simple gray robes, soft slippers peeking from under it. Of an indeterminate age, she could have been in her early thirties were she a human, only her eyes betraying a vast amount of wisdom and knowledge she possessed, their blue depths looking into Danomel's with calmness and patience.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel found himself somewhat startled by the sudden appearance of the woman so quick after Barretts departure. He had really expected to have a burn or so of a wait in which to compose himself, digest what Barrett had said and work out his request. But be that as it may, time had become a fleeting thing.

Danomel turned to face the woman and keeping his expression polite and neutral, bowed towards her. Well, here goes nothing. May Aurelis guide me!

“Please Lady Tabeann, it is I who should apologize for monopolizing your time. I am grateful that you are willing to speak with me.”

Pausing for a flicker Danomel considers not only how to phrase his request and what it might cost him, but also Barretts last words haunt him and cause some concern with what one should and should not reveal.

With a slight sigh, Danomel begins. “I shall endeavor to be brief. Since coming to the Citadel, I have found myself experiencing a somewhat unexpected change in the path of my life. I find myself at what might best be described as a rather difficult stage of the journey, and am in need of some assistance."

"Recently I have found myself, on more than one occasion, in situations involving magik. I know that is a rather simplistic term that I am applying to a broad and very diverse subject. I have the feeling that this trend is not likely to change in the near future, and it has been impressed on me that I need to learn something of the use of these forces. Specifically, at the moment, physical manifestations through manipulation of the aether. I have witnessed an example or two of misuse or uncontrolled use of these forces, enough to understand there is dangers involved. For my own safety, as well as others, rather than just bubbling around, I should learn something of using and controlling these forces."

"My first thought was to the University, though I must admit that was a somewhat uncomfortable thought. At that point, I was redirected here, and to you specifically. Which, I must admit, I found somewhat puzzling."

It was a fortuitous, that while considering this option, I happened to run into Barrett down at the Repository, who arranged this meeting."

"So here I am with open hand seeking whatever aid I can get, yet knowing I have little to offer in the way of remittance for such aid."

Danomel maintains his natural expression. Well its done, now I shall see what comes of it!

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

OOC: Sorry about the delay. Tristam was supposed to pick it up, but he is delayed by RL. I will do a post to get you going till he is back.

"Nonsense. You are not monopolizing my time. I would have told you to come later if I were busy." She gestured down the bookshelves and then added. "Come, let us go to my office and sit down. Tell me of your concerns on the way there." As they walked she listened, not once interrupting Danomel's speech, nor reacting to them noticeably. Even when he fell silent, she did not speak, analyzing the new found information, and adding to it what she knew from before.

Opening the door she ushered him into a neat office, offering him a seat and taking one herself. "SO, Barrett sent you to me? Interesting choice I must say." She smiled and sighed softly. "I might be able to help, but you must know that I might not be suited for the task. Professors at the University of Magic have dedicated their lives to study of magick and ways it can be taught to others. I have never taught anyone how to do it." She rose a finger as if to silence any possible protest. "That is not to say that I would not be able to teach. Just that it would be a novel experience. But, before we ponder this any further, I would know of your motivation. Why do you need magick? Is it a simple pursuit of knowledge you seek? Or do you have a purpose to which you will put what you seek to learn?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel paused in what he hoped looked as if it was a thoughtful manner. He had noted that while most people might pause for a flicker to consider something, it seemed that it was more pronounced among the current crowd of people he found himself interacting with more and more. He had also noted that they were a lot more adept at not revealing their thoughts thorough via outward physical cues.

At the moment though he felt it a good thing that taking a somewhat longer than normal pause seemed acceptable as he suddenly found a few thoughts playing across his mind demanding closer scrutiny.

I am sure I did not fingered Barrett as suggesting I seek her out, was that a deliberate slip to draw out information? As I did not mention Noland specifically. Do I correct the perception, maybe requiring identifying Noland as the source of my information? Or is it just a simple error and I am over obsessing about it?

Do I have some other nefarious motivation or hidden agenda for seeking knowledge of magick? Have not really considered this carefully as I should perhaps. I feel the need to know something about it, as I seem to be running into it more and more.

Don't know if I will ever be any good at this cat and mouse word game. There is something to be said for wearing ones emotions on ones sleeve, at least you know where others stand and they know where you stand.

"Speaking towards motivation," Danomel begins, "I could fall back on the Knowledge motivation which you mentioned. However, while it is certainly a factor, it would be very naive to claim it as the only one. If such were the case, then the university would be the preferred route. But it is not my intent to become a professional mage. And to tell the truth, up until recently I would never have even considered the possibility of learning anything about magik.

"Since coming to the Citadel though, I have had several run ins with these forces, some fairly benign, some quiet deadly." Danomel involuntarily touches his side where he had been struck by Storm Bringers lighting and passed so close to death, remembering another who had not been so lucky. He also remembered how that one event had done more to set him on his current than anything else.

"I can safely say that defense is a part of my motivation. Both defense and awareness, because it is hard to determine a response to a situation if one is not aware of all the factors involved."

"Apart from knowledge, I think I am also seeking understanding. Knowing something is not the same as understanding it. Though the first tends to be a prerequisite for the second. I have observed on at least one occasion that a little knowledge, without proper understanding, can be a dangerous thing." The brilliant light show the other night at the Burpin' Dragon momentarily drifts through Danomels minds eye.

"And though I can not explain it or identify where it comes from, I feel a pressing need to learn something of the use of forces present in the aether. I know that probably makes less sense that the rest of my ramblings."
Last edited by Danomel on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

They were all valid reasons. On their own and together. What won Mistress Tabeann over was that he sought to explain his motivation, showing proper respect for knowledge and offering much more than she asked for. With a simple nod, she smiled. "Very well. You know you would probably make a wonderful priest of Aurelius don't you? But, that is not why you are here. I will share what I know with you. And I think you will do very well, since your motivation seems just about perfect. Now, I would like you to tell me something before we truly begin. Tell me what you know already. That way I can build upon solid foundations since I can correct any faulty perceptions you have that my hamper your learning. So, Danomel, tell me what you know of magick? And leave nothing out. Treat me as completely ignorant on the subject."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Danomel found himself somewhat taken aback at how fast events suddenly seemed to be moving. He had fully expected to have to do a lot more explaining, and possibly some dealing to get to this point. Still, there had been no mention of cost, which generated some small amount of concern to the somewhat more cynical side of his nature.

Ignoring the small cynical voice in the back of his mind, Danomel took a flicker to consider what he actually knew about magik, what might be misinformation, and what was probably speculation on his part.

"I ask your pardon, in that my answer to that question might take on a somewhat rambling nature," Danomel begins. "Putting aside the more common mythology, stories and legends that most people have heard at some time, what I actually know about magik, I think is not much. What I know mostly comes from what I have experienced recently."

"I know it exists, and I have been told it takes a variety of different forms. What seems the most common is manipulation of the aether. If I understand its nature correctly, the aether is some type of energy that exists all around us but is unseen. I have heard it speculated that the aether exists in some form of alternate reality that intersects or coexists with our own. Some people seem naturally sensitive to it, while others can be trained to be aware of it. Those who can sense it, can generally learn to manipulate it to causing some sort of physical manifestation. I know that priests can manipulate this aether or some other form of energy without being aware of it. Though I am ignorant of the process, I assume it has something to do with their relation to their deity. I have heard that there is a form of magik that works on inner personal energies, though I have no direct experience with it. I have also heard of a symbolic type of magik, where energy can be bound up in symbols as part of a physical object."

"That seems to be the extent of what I would consider actual knowledge. There have been a few times when I have witnessed several exchanges, which I assume involved magik. On several of these occasions, I seemed to be aware of something going on beyond what was visible. I can’t describe it any better than that."

(Avatar by LEW 1998)

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”