The War has Begun (Samheen 29th Late TT)

Moderator: Mods

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

The War has Begun (Samheen 29th Late TT)

Post by Grey Wolf »

Technically a guest within the Citadel fortress, the Lord Chamberlain held his office and the offices of his staff towards the center of the compound, surrounding and supporting the Advisory Council and the War Council itself. A common sight either here or in the Advisory Hall, the Lord Chancellor was responsible for affairs of the Empire, reporting directly to the Caesar and no one else, assuming his powers over the Assembly when the Caesar was otherwise detained...a state of affairs that had become somewhat common in recent yahren.

Seeking a more stern and severe office, the current Lord Chancellor disregarded rugs in favor of the harsh stone of the Citadel itself. Covering every wall of his office were maps and charts of every nation in the Seven Isles as well as most locations in the Western Kingdoms and a few more global charts, each commissioned by the finest mapmakers in the lands and all lacking in the customary decoration or illustrative relief that were so common on most maps of the period. His desk was a large slab of dark marble, a gift from the dwarves of Nazareen in ages past, and the back wall of his office was covered not in maps, but in casements, all of which were full with ledgers, books, and scrolls stashed haphazardly and with no apparent organization. The Lord Chancellor was a messy, scattered man, and his office reflected this, with all four of the chairs within routinely covered in documents or orders that either awaited Imperial approval or that had received Imperial approval and awaited his own approval from the Lord Privy Seal, his closest assistant.

A faint scent of smoke filled Lord Chancellors office that day, as Imperial Thaumaturgist sat before a small mirror observing his singed hair and trying to clean his face somewhat with a piece of wet cloth. To say that he was not happy would be a rather large understatement. He was utterly pissed. First someone broke into his laboratory and stole his latest experiment. A piece of a soul belonging to a God. A shard filled with essence of Dominicus. He left it on the desk for just a burn while he went to consult a book to see if he could extract a bit of it and infuse it into a living being, to see what changes would that inflict upon it, and it was all it took for that insolent man to take it and fling it into the Aether. Then he nearly got killed himself when that thing flung a ball of fire at him. Luckily he had his shields up and was able to close the portal before he was blown to bits.

Hector sat opposite him, reading the letters for the tenth time, growling and cursing his own blindness, his foot tapping upon the floor as he awaited the arrival of those Simon summoned. Erwin was already aware of the extent of the Oneist incursion upon the Pan's Isle and Hector had full faith that the Duke would handle the recruitment without a hitch. It was this other Aetheric expedition that Simon insisted upon that made him feel like he was having a hell of a wedgie. What in the Nether was a Oneist Inquisitor doing in Imperial Thaumaturgist's office and what was it that the man took before Simon managed to slice his head off with a spell? The man was mighty mysterious and Hector was itching to learn what it was. Only one way to find out.

OOC: This is the Aether recruitment thread for the War of the One. Please contact me before joining it. Once you get approval and post here you are free to PM Grant and discuss how you can be involved in the War itself. This shall run in the background so we can chat it up a bit.
Last edited by Grey Wolf on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

Celestine tentaively approached the door to the office, her invitation in hand. The Panite initiate and student Rose wore the airy, shimmering sari-like cloth of the clergy at the Temple of Pan, done in a light-blue hue. Her blonde hair had been sheared short, done into braids to hide the scars from the tormentor's knife that had done the deed and much worse to other parts of her anatomy. The braids couldn't hide her adhiel ears though, or her sparkling violet eyes. Though petite, and still testing her body after her time in the demon spider's web, she still bore herself with pride in being who she was and in serving who she did.

She bowed before any guards at the door and said "I am Celestine Elessia and I have recieved an invitation from Lord Genneke to be here." She held up the unfurled invitation. "May I enter?"

OOC: I apologize for being late. I caught a nasty flu this past week. :(
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was the man with singed hair that raised his eyes first, taking a good, long look of Celestine before nodding to Hector. "Please, come in. Take a seat. You are the first to arrive it seems." it was the other man that spoke, rising to greet the newcomer as the other man seemed more interested in his ruined hair than the girl that just came in. "I am Hector Anzillo, Imperial Chamberlain. And the silent gentleman over there is the one whose invitation you bear, Simon Ginneke. He is the Imperial Thaumaturgist. Do you know why you are here."

OOC: And I see to have no eyes. I am sorry for the delay, but I missed your post completely. Feel free to contact Grant and join the Aether thread as soon as you have arranged it with him. We shall play along here and reveal a bit about why we are here, but there is not need to wait.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

Celestine managed the best curtsy she could in the sari, and then looked between the two gentlemen. "I'm afraid not, my Lords Chamberlain and Thaumaturgist. I simply recieved this invitation at where I was staying and I was curious to know more about it."
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

“She is here because an idiot thought he could steal from me and get away with it.” It was the man with the burnt hair that spoke then, for the first time turning to face the pair, irritated expression upon his face. “And yes, I know how I came into possession of the shard, but that is beside the point. Someone burst into my office, in the heart of the Citadel and I had to kill him myself. And I want it back.” Hector tried to interject a few times, but was interrupted each and every time by angry Simon Ginneke. “And we”, Simon’s eyes went to Hector and he looked at him in a dare to disagree, “need you and a few others to go into the Aether and fetch a small shard back from those that have it now. I will provide you with a way in and I will open a way back once you have the shard. You have been chosen because of your past experiences.”
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Post by Mairi Armstrong »

Mairi was pleased to have arrived at her destination, and was also impressed with the behaviour of the guards. So far everything seemed to be going smoothly - although she doubted it would stay that way.

Dismounting from the coach, she looked around her at the Citadel, realising that she was here, at the place she had been dreaming about for yahren. As she followed through the building she steeled herself, clutching the bundle which had been entrusted to her.

"Thankyou," she said to the guard who had led her, and taking a deep breath she knocked on the door.
~The shadowy mountains and the echoing sea~
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The door opened almost immediately, a man with a slightly singed beard and hair standing at it staring at Mairi and not moving an inch. Another man and a girl were seated at a table behind him, the man going over the letters as the girl simply sat there. "Yes, can I help you, miss?" The man's head tilted slightly sideway in a manner common to animals, especially dogs, when they saw something that made them curious. His eyes went to a parcel in her hands, noting the Dort seal, and then his brows shot up a fraction of an inch more, but he said nothing else, simply waiting.

Post by Guest »

Celestine looked at the angry man, trying to understand all this fuss over a shard. From the sound of it, it might not have been acquired in the most legal way itself in the first place. More importantly, how did he know about her past experiences? Her Aether experiences, except for the one at the party, had happened after she'd left Andolin's service, and the priesthood of Pan had been decimated by the demon spider shortly afterwards. Unless he knew Master Larbeido? But the Master was gone now, safely away from the persecution of the Roses and Panlings, she hoped. So who did that leave? Isabella? Fauna? She hadn't had a chance to catch up with Isa in a while, and she hadn't seen Fauna since the dungeons. Vanir? Did he make it out? He was the only one she could think of who would know of her Aetheric experiments and still be around.

She looked between the angry man and his fellow for a moment, noticing when the man got up to go answer the door. She turned back to Simon with a quizzical look. "I have a few questions. What's so important about this shard? Do you know who took it, or why? Also, I'm curious about something. How did you know about my past experiences? I don't think we've met before, though in all the chaos of the past few weeks it may have slipped my mind. If I've forgotten you, I'm sorry. It's been a bad few days for me." She was pretty sure they hadn't met before, but maybe being dead did something to the memory. She settled herself as comfortably as she could, though she unconsciously favored the side where the demon spider had bit into her and she had to make an effort to sit up straight and not relax, as she'd been doing during her recovery.
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Mairi looked back at the man, taking in his singed hair and wondering what had happened to him. Still, there were more important things to be worrying about. She nodded at his question, replying,
"Yes, I am looking for Imperial Chancellor Hector Anzillo, if he is here. I am the new representative for Islay, and I have come from the Embassy at the request of the Duke himself. I have proof for him, if he requires it."

She did not offer the package, unsure of which man was the one she should give it to. Besides, the girl might get in the way.
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was the other man that moved quickly to the door, pushing the man with the singed hair out of his way and smiling at Mairi. "I'll take care of this Simon. Why don't you go and explain the situation to Miss Elessia? She does not seem to grasp it fully." He turned towards the Imperial Thaumatrugist, his eyes motioning towards the other girl, brows moving up almost desperately. For a flicker it seemed as if the nervous mage would not listen and then he turned and took a seat next to Celestine.

"I am sorry about that, milady. I am Hector Anzillo, but as you see we are in a middle of a very important meeting. Didn't His Grace inform you of it?" He paused for a moment, before shaking his head. "Never mind then. What can I do for you then? I am afraid that if you have any business with the Imperial Government that you will have to put them before the Imperial Council. We have a meeting scheduled for tomorrow so you can adress the members then."

Meanwhile, Simon slumped into a chair next to Celestine and just sat there for a couple of flickers staring ahead. "The shard is a piece of a soul. God's soul. The one whose soul it was taken from is directly linked to Dominicus. It's part of King Balthasar's soul. It was taken by one of his Inquisitors, but the man is dead now. But, not before he managed to transport it into the Aether." He was still looking straight ahead, focusing upon a point in front of him. "And we have never met. I know of you from....... sources I would rather keep secret for now. I am not the Imperial Thaumaturgist for nothing."
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Mairi assumed she had spoken to the wrong man as the other quickly moved to greet her. She was correct, of course. She wondered what 'situation' needed explaining to the girl - could she overhear? She kept her ears open for any titbits that she might 'accidentally' catch; any slivers of information might be very useful someday.

Trying to listen to both, she turned to face Anzillo.

"Greetings," she said, having taken in his words. "Sorry for interrupting your meeting, the Duke didn't mention it. Besides, my business is quite urgent. I understand that tomorrow the Council decides on a new Caesar? I've come to the Citadel to represent my people, the people of Islay, and I feel strongly that I should be involved in such a decision. Sir, I am here to try and help my family and all those that have suffered with the loss of Hafne and other such...disasters...The right Caesar could do a great deal to bring peace on Dort and provide some relief for a people who will soon be dispossessed if we do nothing."

She tried to keep her tone formal, but she felt passionate about these issues, and her accent crept through in one or two words. She felt for a moment that she was not worthy of this post, but she quickly pushed that aside to concentrate on the duties she had perform. I may be of simple birth, but I'm not one of them. I have as much right to choose a Caesar as anyone who'll be in that room.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

A shadow passed over the Chancellor’s face when Mairi revealed who she was and why she was there. So, Erwin has made his first move, bringing another vote to his side. Interesting? I wonder what the other side will do now. Well, I guess only time will tell. “It is a pleasure to meet you, milady. I am sorry but I did not catch your name…..” She never said her name so far, but protocol was to be followed unless Hector was pissed off, as that was when his temper took over. “And I shall also need to see your credentials. If all is in order you will be presented before the Council tomorrow and after they have the chance to review your papers you will have a chance to take part in the voting. You are aware that we are to vote on the issue of new Caesar? Are you familiar with the candidates?”
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Mairi felt herself blushing as she realised she hadn't given her name.

"I'm Mairi Armstrong," she said, attempting to hide her embarrassment. "As for credentials, the Duke gave me this package. I haven't opened it, but he assured me it would prove my identity."

Papers! She should have asked the Duke for some. If they weren't in the package she would have to see him at the Embassy before the vote.

"Yes, I am aware of the matter of the vote...that is why I am so keen to be involved...but I don't believe I know who the candidates are. Could you possibly go through them briefly? If it's not too much trouble," she added.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Hector took the bundle from Mairi’s arms and unwrapped it, and found a total of six sealed letters within. None of the sigils upon the seals looked familiar, though one drew attention to it, as it was shaped like a bowl. The Chancellor did not open any of the letters, though he took a good look of each of those and then, wrapping them into the cloth once more, placed it on the small table close by. “We shall open these tomorrow in front of the Council. The seals need to be broken before the members. But, I recognize the sigils.”

He motioned towards the chair a bit to the side, his hand gently clasping Mairi’s forearm and guiding her there. “Come, let us sit. It will take a while, even though I shall try to make it as brief and impartial as possible.” Once they were seated he turned to face her slightly and began. “For now there are two candidates. One was put forth by Lady Isis of Amun Rah. Lord Andolin Azarin is the former Master of Protocol and the current Major Domos of the Citadel. He rose in the hierarchy rather quickly and that speaks for him. I have no doubt he is quite capable of running the Empire. But, I will say no more. I do not want to taint your perception with my views.”

He sighed. “The other candidate is rather colorful. She is, for it is a girl, Miss Scatha Ashtir. She was put forth by Imperial Secretary Silk and she is from the Midlands of Dort. From what I saw of her, she is very up to the point kind of lady. Not afraid to express her opinion even if the others would not quite like it. At the first vote she won ten votes, as opposed to thirteen won by Major Domos. She has support of Dort, the temples and the Paladin Order, while Major Domos has the support of Throthgard, Muchislie, Kislovan, and Amun Rah. And I am afraid that anything more being said would be too much. The best course of action would be for you to pay each candidate a visit and have them convince you whom to support. Or to talk to someone who is more eager to offer you his or her view.”
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Mairi followed the chancellor and sat as he guided her. She was very interested in hearing his explanation - she'd never been this closely involved in such an important political process...in fact, this was her first brush with power!

Lord Azarin sounded like a powerful man, from what the chancellor was saying. Speed in gaining status suggested someone who was ambitious and canny, someone who had influence and knew how to get the most out of the court. It also sounded like he had a lot of support - but not from the Duke. Could she afford to get on the wrong side of him already?

On the other hand Miss Ashtir didn't even have a title. Mairi knew someone from the Midlands was unlikely to be upper class, and whilst their education system was okay, she probably wasn't as well informed about politics as Mairi was herself. This was just an assumption, though, and if the Duke and this 'Imperial Secretary' guy supported her then she must have some merits.

She nodded at the man's suggestion.

"Yes, I will make arrangements to see them. I presume that Lord Azarin is in residence here, and Miss Ashtir as well? Will I need further papers from the Duke, or will these suffice?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Hector shook his head before replying. "Lord Azarin has an office here at the Citadel. I can have a guard escort you there after we are done here. It is not too far away." He paused as if in thought. "As for Miss Ashtir, I a afraid I do not know where she is now. You best ask His Grace. Or Secretary. If they do not know then I am afraid I can help even less. I'll instruct the guard to take you to the Secretary as well if you wish. And I trust you know where to find the Duke." He smiled briefly. "You can leave the papers here with me and I will bring them to the Council meeting tomorrow. Or you can take them with you and bring them yourself. Either way I do not think anyone will cause a problem over your identity."

Post by Guest »

Celestine's eyes opened wide. "Dominicus? The God who is persecuting the Panlings? I..." She stopped, confusion giving way to the beginnings of an idea. "If this is really a piece of him, then maybe there might be a way to use that to stop this senseless slaughter!" Her face firmed up in conviction.

She might have said more, but then she overheard the name Silk and her entire body stiffened. Turning to look at Hector and the other woman, her violet eyes dark with remembered pain and anger, she slowly stood up. "Pardon me for interrupting sir and madam. But I've met this "Silk" person before. I have to warn you, especially, miss, to stay away from him." She brushed back the braids of her hair to reveal the long scars on her neck and the healing scars on her face. "This is just a taste of what he once did to me. There are more scars like this all over my body. And I am not alone. Silk finds pleasure in the torture of innocents, and there are many Roses and others who can attest to that fact." She looked at Mairi with concern. "Please, I urge you to be careful if Silk is going to be anywhere near anyone you must deal with."
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

"Thanks, you can look after the papers then. I'm sure I will find the candidates eventually, the palace can't be that big," she said to the chancellor, warming to him slightly.

The woman interrupted - Mairi was not angry, as their conversation had drawn to a close, but she was slightly confused. The Imperial Secretary inflicted wounds upon this slight girl? Surely not! What did she say she was? A Rose? Mairi remembered the name upon the lips of Dort's well-to-do families, some sort of upper class brothel for Panlings if she recalled rightly. Well then, the girl probably brought it on herself.

"I'm quite capable of looking after myself," she said somewhat frostily to the Adhiel. If you're even telling the truth. She turned back to Hector Anzillo. "I'll take the guards, then. Thankyou for your help, it's been a pleasure to meet you."

She smiled at him, the warmest smile she had yet given in the Citadel, yet still keeping her full emotions in check. She was not here to make friends - yet. Looking once more at the Adhiel with derision, she left the room.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

While Mairi was not angry because of the interruption, Hector did frown when the adhiel girl came to join their conversation, clearly unhappy that she did not have the grace to ignore something that was not her business in the least. “Yes, thank you, Miss Elessia for your warning, but I doubt Miss Armstrong will be in any danger from the Secretary. I advise you to take any complaint you have against the Secretary to the Lord Advocate and then seek retribution and restitution for your injuries through legal means. Slander of Imperial officials without proof is not something I advise you to do.”

With that he turned and opened the door, summoning a guard and whispering something to him. The man saluted and stood at attention before the doors. “There you go, milady. Private will escort you to Major Domos and to the Secretary later on. I bid you farewell. I trust that we shall meet tomorrow. And the palace is quite big I assure you. The escort will save you a lot of time.”
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Barrett was in somewhat of a hurry as he made his way from the Archives to the office of the Lord Chancellor. If he noticed an odd scent in the air or an unusual edge to the expression and deployment of the Guard, it was only in a passing manner. There were already quite enough mysteries and quests for him to navigate. His attempt to find what he sought in the Archives had come to naught. He had in fact found no record of any representative of Oracle's Isle ever claiming the Council seat.

But there was one man who was more than likely to know the formalities connected with that appointment. Hopefully Hector would not still be mad about the Dortman's recent gaffe.

It was with a somewhat cautious air that Barrett entered the office, unaware of the events currently being discussed within.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The door to the office stood open and a woman was just leaving it, escorted by a guard dressed in the black and white of the new Imperial Guards. The Chancellor Anzillo stood in the door, nodding to the lady, when his eyes found Barrett and a frown crossed his features. It melted soon and his face was impassive when the Querist reached him and he merely nodded and arched a single brow. “Master Threespan, what an unexpected surprise. Is there some way I may be of assistance.” He did not move out of the way, and sound of someone speaking came from within.

Simon harrumphed when Celestine rose and left his side, crossing the arms before his chest and snorted at her words. “Come on. This whole place is one big den of snakes. Nobody can be trusted. We have more important issues to deal with here.” He rose and walked to Panling, sighing. “I had a piece of Dominicus’ soul. It was stolen. I need people who will go after it and bring it back. And then I can proceed with my experiments and see if a way can be found to influence Dominicus through its use.”
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"My Lord, I most certainly hope that you may. There are urgent matters bearing upon my recent areas of research upon which I think you may be able to advise me."

"First, I beg you accept my apology for my ill-informed behavior in the Council chambers yesterday. Intellect and good intentions are no substitute for wisdom born of experience. This I know, yet I was moved to act out of excitement - and out of fear for Scatha. I have grown rather fond of her, frustrating as my attempts to school her may be."

"I had hoped to consult with you yestereve, but the preparations for the demon hunt consumed every spare moment. Despite the assistance of the Dominican Inquisitors in that endeavor, I fear they had more sinister purpose in visiting Citadel..."

"...er, might we speak in private?"
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

The Chancellor waved away Barrett's apology and his impatience was obvious in the way he kept nodding at the Querist as he spoke. It was the mention of the Inquisitors that made him frown at first and then try to utter a reply, falling silent for a flicker or two. "You better come in son. I am afraid you were right about the Inquisitors. One broke into the office of Master Ginneke and stole something from him. He flung a crystal shard through a portal into the Aether before Simon managed to kill him." He paused once more. "It was a part of Dominicus' soul and when Simon realized what had happened he brought me some letters. The idiot had them for half a week and he held them in secret. There is a war on Pan's Isle. The Western Kingdom has invaded."
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Ah, I had that news of invasion from Pan himself I believe, but was waiting for some solid proof. I have calculated that several factors led to the invasion: the madness of the One god is the most disturbing. Perhaps this Shard has something to do with that?"

"The Inquisitors... they were of use, but I feel we might have prevailed without them. I only wish Andolin had been more circumspect in authorizing their presence here."

"I assume someone is organizing armed forces to help repel the invasion... although it was implied that it had progressed to a rather drastic stage. My own idea was to seek the advice of the Oracle on how order among the gods might be restored. The breakthrough of so many demons and the instability of the Aether are but two consequences of their conflict. The undeclared war is a third, although – as I said – there are additional causes for such an action on the part of the West."

Post by Guest »

Celestine frowned when Mairi rejected her advice. I hope you don't regret it, lady.

She listened, trying to conceal her growing hope. "You mean, there might be a way to stop Dominicus from trying to rule all?! It might be the only way to save those of my faith from persecution." She mused a moment, then nodded, speaking softly. "I owe that much to my brothers and sisters. I am willing to pursue the thief, though if you know of my past then you know that I possess little formal training in Aetheric matters. Still, I can get there and help as best I can. Do you have any clues as to where the thief might have gone and what traps or defenses they might have? Anything could help, sir."

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”