Coronation Sidethread - Some interesting conversation

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Coronation Sidethread - Some interesting conversation

Post by Ulder »

Ulder listened to the Adhiel speak.

Diplomatic Affinities? Oh... he probably meant affairs.

Ulder smiled, knowing full well that his Adhiel was far worse than this man's common. He let it go without comment, as to not point out a mistake to one trying so hard to do well. He gave Penth a flat look.

"Please General. Just call me Ulder. Ulderon is the formal version of my name and I try to get everyone to just call me Ulder. My mother and Penth here are the only ones that call me Ulderon." He told the Adhiel with a nod towards Penth.

"Its true, I was a Captain once. I'm not sure how I would be able to assist you. The Emerald Guard is already well renowned throughout the West and even here in the Empire your tales and prowess are highly respected. I fear that without Adhiel blood, I have very little to offer in terms of assisting you. I would be happy to discuss it though. I'm actually going to be returning to the West tomorrow, so perhaps we can travel together if our schedules permit?"

Ulder knew that the Emerald Guard was for Adhiel only, so he was certain they didn't want him as part of a unit, but they still needed some sort of help, and they thought they could get that assistance from him. The whole thing was rather concerning.

Build up again? They must have suffered some serious losses if they are recruiting or seeking allies in the likes of people like me...

He continued his conversation with Penth as well, answering the bard's questions about how he had been.

"I've... we've... been very good. The handfasting ceremony was a couple of days ago. I wanted you to perform, but I could not seem to locate you. I thought you had perhaps gone where the wind took you once more."

"Looking for me?" He echoed, but Penth's explanation of why followed, and was now evident from his conversation with Thrandil.

Next came the admission that the bard had used his name to get in. If Penth had any fears that Ulder would be mad, they would soon be alleviated as Ulder laughed.

"I'm surprised they let you in if you used my name. Some of these councilors and other dignitaries are not favorably disposed towards me any longer. I'm glad you did though, it's good to see you again."
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine chuckled at Penth's admissions. "Surely you cannot be that bad? Perhaps one day we can trade our secrets? Sing together?" She stayed close to Ulder. It was good to hear him smile. It was even better to feel the confidence he was radiating at the moment.

The girl completely missed the visual clue, but curtsied at Penth's introduction. "Elaine Synkaaros." She smiled. "But you might have guessed the last name by now." Her pale blue eyes stayed focussed somewhere around his chin.

"So, I take it there are even more stories hidden that I have not heard? This sure shows promise...unless there will be no time before we leave, love?" She squeezed Ulder's arm, not entirely sure of his timetable to leave for Pax.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Med

Post by Med »

The bard watched the exchange between Thrandril and Ulder. Not really wanting to press matters much as he fealt they should speak for themselves upon such affairs.

Penth smiled warmly admiring the couple, his friend had found his love and that was a deep direction in itself. Even he knew that and it sent a wave of ease over him.

"I would have been there gladly and with Madame Elaine's accompanyment perhaps a song later?" he looked towards the other still not realizing she was blind, but music was part of his soul and always interested him. It would be an honor to do a song with Ulder's wife.

Ulder has a wife! Oh my and I just introduced him to these Emerald Guards! Stupid Penth! He's probably ready to settle down have younglings and um what else happens? Raise sheep? No I don't think they are going to raise sheep... Perhaps younglings.. Get it in control dung head there are people of importance here or something.

"So do you play instruments yourself Elaine?" he hoped his tone was not too informal he had no clue what to call her as it was unexpected and he was more than a little blustered by it all, "I play the mandolin myself, write a few songs, and sing."

He looked back to Ulderon out of respect and approval.

"I believe you and Master Thrandril and the rest should find time to speak with each other Ulder." he looked around as the oneist etc entered..

"I'll come, but I'm getting a sense of unease." he left it at that.
There are two ways in life everything can go. Think about consequences and what doing bad will reflect on your future and vice versa. Karma is the mantra of life.
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil blushed a bit at the mention of Elaine as Ulder's wife. "I'm sorry. I did not know you married." he said, and thought back of both Axira, now just a star in the sky, and Elevie, the woman he fancied, and yet was princess to a Kingdom that didn't exist anymore, except in the hearts of few.

"You Ulder? I can do. You call me Thran. That my friends call me." he said.

"You no more guard? I thought maybe you did. If you had, you could be of great help maybe, if your... job-giver would allow you. Maybe we once were... how you call it? ... Renowned? And maybe we were respected for our powers, but soon everyone know and that not be anymore." The first part came out somewhat disappointed.

I think I'm doing well so far. A few mistakes maybe, but I haven't been corrected. So either they are small, or this man respects me. He must've been a good Captain once. Going to the West tomorrow? I would like to come, but there's so much to do here... so very much. I need to visit the temple of Pan. We passed it somewhere in the city. Then there's that clothing shop we passed. Nice Emerald Guard garments would be nice. New ones even...

"I be happy travel with you, but tomorrow some visits to make. Not many I can tell about what happen to Taquar, but maybe in private I can tell what I know that you will understand my tryings. These things I can not tell out in open where all ears us can hear. Maybe we meet tomorrow in morning? I do not post... errm... want to hold you from traveling though. Maybe you might want wait traveling for one day after my story have heard." the General said, and scanned the room for Craghley.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder smiled as Penth spoke of performing.

"Perhaps privately or at another function goodman Penth. This is an official state function, and was planned by official state planners. I don't serve the Empire in any official capacity any longer, so I think we'd better stick to what they have arranged as to not ruffle anyone's feathers."

As Penth turned his question to Elaine, Ulder continued his conversation with General Thrandil.

"Very well Thran. No, I'm afraid the unit I served with was disbanded and no longer exists. As for an employer, or a job giver as might be a little easier for you, I'm my own boss, and do not report to anyone any longer. I do not serve the Empire in any official way anymore."

He took a sip from his glass as the General spoke of his prior engagements for tomorrow.

"I'm afraid I can't push back our departure any longer. There are people that have already altered their schedules to fit in to leaving tomorrow. We'll be leaving in the late morningtide from our home in the Patrician's ring. Perhaps instead of speaking tomorrow, we can meet later today to discuss details."

Med

Post by Med »

Penth looked back at Ulder with a slight smile.

"Another time as a gift my friend." he stated speaking of the song, "Perhaps you could play again yourself?" he gave a slight chuckle.

But there was more on his mind. The minstrel had lost a lot of things and at every turn things seemed to get worse. He didn't know how but it was just a feeling that almost like all of the kingdoms were in pain. These things had never been of much importance to him before, but something had to start being done. Even he knew that. All he had to do was look at his friend Ulderon former captain of the Purple Guard and these others trying to bring back the Emerald Guard which meant they had been decimated themselves?

"Ulder.." he used the simple version going back to the days where he was a little simpler, "I think it would be a good idea for all of us to talk as fate did seem to bring us here. Even if that means venturing off with you. It would be quite the mistake to go against such I feel." his words were very serious in tone and quite unlike his usual mirth.

"I sense a lot of bad things my friend and hope you trust me in this."

The minstrel did not like such emotions, truly he would have preferred to tell tales and discuss new theories in music all night, but he knew things were there.
There are two ways in life everything can go. Think about consequences and what doing bad will reflect on your future and vice versa. Karma is the mantra of life.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"No, I am not very apt at musical instruments. I wanted to learn but...things got in the way. I would love to accompany you with my voice though." Elaine smiled, not entirely sure how to stay out of the darker conversations that might pop up.

"As for your unease....bad feelings, master Penth?" The woman tilted her head, trying to get a sense from the man. "I believe you are right. Many good people have felt thwarted in their tries to right wrong and although many holes are being refilled with hope, their remains a lot of work to be done...and not everyone feels secure enough to believe it will ever be right again."

The blind woman realized she might have spoken too bluntly. "My apologies." A quick curtsey. "It is most certainly not my intention to frighten anyone. Let us say that each has their own ideas about how to solve matters. Ours consists in leaving the Citadel soon for another place where helping hands might be appreciated instead of sabotaged."

She squeezed Ulder's hand. "And if you feel the need to speak alone, I will move away, sirs. I recognize the need to catch up between old friends without a new set of ears being there to listen in." She smiled, trying to give the opening for those that needed it.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Med

Post by Med »

He smiled in friendship giving off a warm glow towards both of them.

"I do hope such a day happens." Penth looked at the others. It was hard for him to fathom these things.

Perhaps the best he could do was stick with his new found friends and help in whatever he could do. He had hoped and there was slight sadness in his heart as he listened to Elaine's words. She was wise and seemed more than accurate in her description of things.

How can all these good people not see it? Or even sense it?

The bard hesitated, "It is alright to call you Elaine? I have no formal name or anything. I like your honesty my lady." Penth beamed a smile, "And I play a good mandolin myself. It would be an honor."

Penth thought for a moment on the bad feelings... A lot of others did not get it. Simply because they were enraptured with too many things. Penth's views were simple and clearly bad and good. It didn't seem his place to do more than council if even that, he looked over at Draydis standing by the other guardsmen and started to wonder just slightly.

Ulderon seemed predestined to do great things where ever he went but had met those things after he left all behind.His place did seem with these adhiel's no matter how strange that might be.

Unified fronts did seem the best way to resolve the torments Elaine spoke of, but he was but a minstrel.

He watched the oneist thinking back to the words that were said when they first arrived that they had burned Taquar to the ground. The fond memories of friendship after a cost so high to reach that land. He felt in his heart it was time for himself to take a direction.

"Yes I often get some senses, Elaine. Nothing I can describe. speaking of the bad feelings he forgot to use a more cordial formality as he was lost in thought looking at the others.

"Your husband once said we were much alike in this. But I sense something terribly bad in this land." he lowered his voice to almost an inaudible tone when he said it almost more speaking to himself as he watched a man in the distance.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder squeezed her hand right back.

"Nonsense. There is nothing any person in this world can say to me that you can't hear as well. Frankly, if it is something you can't hear, I don't think I want to hear it myself anyway."

He was rather interested in the conversation between Penth and Elaine. This wasn't to mean that he found his conversation with General Thrandil boring, that simply wasn't true. It was just that Penth and Ulder went way back together, and had been very good friends for a very long time. Penth's words betrayed a certain perception on the part of the bard, and was unlike anything Penth had ever said before. To Ulder, Penth had always been a free spirit, a person that went with the wind to wherever and whatever fate that awaited him when he arrived. But this was something different from his friend. It spoke of a certain growing awareness inside him, and a will and desire to do something about it.

Ulder regarded Penth carefully at that point. Deep down he was excited to see such a change in his old friend and more excited about the fact that Penth was discussing it with perhaps the best person he could ever hope to find about it. Elaine would be very interested in hearing what the man had to say, and was already asking the right questions. If Penth truly wanted to explore these feelings and in turn do something about it, then he knew he and his wife would do anything in their power to help him.

He stayed silent, and listened carefully as they continued.

Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

The mind of the guardsman was running like a mad man in all directions. What could he use this man for, if there was no one to team up with? They had to do something for Taquar. However, this man did speak of going to the West, so the Adhiel had to know why, and a private invitation to someone's house would make a great start for a friendship in the making.

"Master Ulder, I be happy speak to you after coronation. When all end, where I can find you to talk?"

After Ulder's answered:
"I now leave you so you can do... what your wife call it? Catch up with friend Penth? I talk with Emerald Guard about return Taquar."

"Achroiliel Elaine," he said, taking her hand, "Ibh ea fiadhea ta adhiu. Master Penth, maybe we talk again tonight."

(Translation: "Lady Elaine, may you go with Faith")
Last edited by Thrandil on Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Med

Post by Med »

Penth met Ulder's eyes as he assessed him. The bard smiled in return telling the other he was his friend. He spoke no words and gave a slight shrug. There were no words for it ulderon would always be his best friend.

He looked back at Draydis. In that burn he imagined all of the thoughts his friend must have thought as he sought out to make his own way. For a flicker he felt ashamed and a myriad of other emotions, but much of the fool had left him sadly. He missed it but knew it from looking into Ulder's eyes. There was past hardhip there rested in them. Penth had his own as well, but Ulder was a capable man former captain. The adhiels if they could find a use for him needed him more.

It seemed the right thing to do. Penth nodded mainly to Ulder, but the rest as well.

"Lady Elaine never dismiss yourself you are as great as the man you stand beside. Thus is evident by your love." he smiled at the both of them.

"I think I might have to retire to talk to another though soon."he stated he knew Ulderon wouldn't quite get it, but he would be there if called upon.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Of course it's alright to call me Elaine! It is my name, after all." Her hand sought out Penth's arm to squeeze it softly. "The mandolin, you say...I'd love to hear you play. And yet, if you get these feelings, dear sir, then I suspect that you hear much more music in the world than many another."

She stepped closer to the bard. "You are right." She spoke softly, doing her utter best to keep up a smile. "Something horrible happened in this city, in these lands. We can only pray it was removed completely, but it ruined the fair Song of the citadel, of the Mother, and it will take many yahren before it will feel free enough to sing again. Don't let anyone fool you into telling you you are imagining things. You are right, sir. Trust your instincts."

A little smile was directed at Ulder as he invited her to stay. "Just checking, love. You might feel free to speak in my presence, yet others might not. Ah, be well, Thrandil. Although I fear a return to Taquar is going to be difficult unless we get things settled elsewhere."

Penth was already dismissing himself from their company. Elaine noticed she regretted it. It was seldom she met anyone who heard the same wrong in the lands. He carried himself with such earnest and kindness. There was something in there that reminded her of her uncle in his more contemplative moments.

"Sir Penth, you are a sweet man. I would honestly hope to spend more time to talk with you. But I will not keep you. Please be careful with yourself."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Med

Post by Med »

The bard looked at Elaine and he finally realized she was blind when she put her hand on his arm. It did not unsettle him he just had not realized as she spoke of things clearly.

Penth warmed more to the two of them.

He did not want to be rude, but he spoke quietly "It is not often I hear it." he was speaking of the "song"

"Yet a few times I do. It happens before something terrible and I certainly do not want to ruin your evening. It's not my place to convince any But things are about to get a lot worse and I do not think what I envision simply means here."

"This is a time for celbebration though and I am sure we shall all meet again soon."
Morg

Post by Morg »

Archived with no skills awarded. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”