Coronation Side Thread - Dray and Elaine

Moderator: Mods

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Coronation Side Thread - Dray and Elaine

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Draydis scanned about the room after Ulder left his company. He didn't want to interrupt any of the ongoing conversations, so he looked for anybody that was standing alone.

It was at that moment that Draydis spotted Elaine...

He walked casually over to stand by her side.

"Hello m'lady. This is a nice event, though I do not know many in attendance."

Draydis didn't have much more to say to her. Little did he know that this was Elaine...the wife of Ulder...the one that Ulder had suggested Dray speak with about the Mother.
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Had Elaine been able to see, she might have caught Craghley's look and responded. As it was the woman was carefully avoiding staying anywhere for too long with her un-seeing gaze as not to be caught by the very person she tried to avoid.

Luckily it seemed she did not have to stay here alone for long, as someone clearly stepped up towards her and addressed her directly.

The blind woman curtsied. "Lord." She acknowledged his presence. "I fear I share the same handicap. Most of the names might be familiar, yet the voices share a great, grey cloud of confusion."

She smiled. At least she was not alone in feeling rather lost. "Elaine Synkaaros, at your service, sir." Another little nod of her head. "May I ask to draw your name out of the cloud?"
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis smiled at the woman and returned the bow. "Lady Synkaaros, I am Draydis Quinn D'Anorre, General of military warfare and the elite holy warriors of the Mother."

He paused for a moment. Synkaaros was a name he had heard that very evening. Draydis didn't remember for certain, but thought he remembered Ulder saying that his wife is named Elaine. "Are you by chance related to Lord Ulder?" There was a tone of happiness in his voice. If this was in fact Ulder's wife, then he would be able to achieve one of his life goals...to learn more about the Mother...

DMD Member since 2005
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Just Elaine, please." The blind Achadhiel smiled. "As for relations, I am not bound to him by blood, but all the more so by heart. I am happy to call him my husband." She could not keep the pride out of her voice. It just sounded so right.

From the sound of it this man might be another of Ulder's old friends. There was too much cheerfulness in his voice when mentioning his name for it to be otherwise.

"General, you too know him from his time before the Citadel?" Her thoughts went back to Raevyn. The woman had been too uncomfortable to get a clear idea from, yet this man sounded a lot more open. Yet with all the people showing up from Ulder's past Elaine could but wonder what the man had experienced in his lifetime. She had no doubts about who he was right now, but she could not deny a curiosity about his past.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"Please m'lady, it is just Draydis." He smiled at her use of his title.

"No, I have only met your husband this evening, but I plan to journey with him in the morning. It seems that the Mother has allowed our paths to cross for a truly great purpose."

He turned his head to look more directly at her.

"Ulder told me that you are a devout follower of the Mother. I would love to speak with you further about Her, as I am on a path of knowledge and faith. I seek a greater status with Her, but am uncertain as to how to proceed, for I have had no training...I just follow Her as She guides me."

The excitement in his voice was clearly based in his discussion of faith. Draydis spoke with a clear conviction that the Mother was fully in control of his life.

DMD Member since 2005
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

"Draydis." Elaine smiled, trying to get a feel for the name. "You are not from here?" There was that typical quality to his accent again. Many people she met over the last months had at least some Adhiel blood and from the sound of it this might be more than just a bit.

"Hmm, I hope you do not mind me asking, but why follow a man when you have just met him? And I am not sure if I could be named a devout follower. I trust in Her, but She trusts in my common sense." She chuckled, hoping she did not upset someone who seemed to follow much more blindly than she ever could.

It was not a question whether or not she trusted Mother. She had the fullest faith that her believes were true. Especially after Mother had been absent in the horrible times with the Changer Elaine knew beyond anything that this was not just about Mother helping her, but also about her helping Mother. And that was something that could not be done if one was prone to simply following instead of taking the lead.

Yes, it would be an interesting talk, it seemed.

"I would love to speak with you, dear sir." The Achadhiel tilted her head. "Could you explain what you mean with 'greater status' ? And ...well...speaking of training...hrm...one could argue I was trained on the job, so I am not sure if I am the one you are looking for." She chuckled again.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

"I hail from the capital city of Taquar, though I grew up in the wilderness of the orc territory with my family and our tribe. I was once just a simple hunter. Circumstances changed, and so did I." He smiled to show her that his memories were ones that he had become comfortable with. After all, the Mother had given him that adversity so he could learn and grow into a stronger person. He seemed to be well on his way.

"I do not have to tell you of the qualities of Ulder, for I would think you know the man you have married in every way. I spoke with him just tonight, and our sense of duty to the world fits perfectly together. My brother and I are reforming the Emerald Guard, as we were largely eliminated when a demoness and her dark hounds destroyed our city and most of its people. Where the Guard was once large and proud, we are now only a handful. Though diminished in size, our hearts have become our most powerful weapon, and we are determined to rebuild into something even greater. Ulder shares the spirit of our purpose...helping the innocent, correcting injustices, serving with honor and duty. For this, I shall join with him."

He paused for a moment as his thoughts danced away to the Mother. "As for my Mother...I feel drawn to the Crone. I have felt her blessing many times in battle when the tide was turned against us. With Her blessing, we were able to overcome terrible odds. I stand here now because of Her grace. There is a cycle to life, and I believe that She has put me through the trials of my life so I could be best prepared to become the sword of Her winter. I desire with all my heart to be the Crone's paladin."

Draydis hoped that Elaine would take his honest words well. Not many understood what it meant to be a dark paladin of the Crone. It was a path that the Avatar had spoken with him about. She had done her best to make sure that he fully understood the path that he would put himself upon. It would be one of darkness, but could also be one of justice. The Crone was not evil, for the coldness of winter was just another time of life. It was a season of end...a time of change. Draydis would take his place at the front, cutting down those who had reached the end of their cycle so that new ones could step into the start of theirs.

"I seek the Mother and have asked her to reveal this path to me. For now, I blindly follow where She leads, for I know that She is working to prepare me to truly embrace the position that my heart desires."

DMD Member since 2005
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

His kind words about Ulder made the girl flush. It was perhaps silly to feel as happy as she did, but life had certainly taken a turn for the better ever since their reunion. The upside of their terrible fight had at least been that they now both realized that they had their own goals and beliefs next to their common ones, which made it imperative to grant each other freedom instead of trying to shield them from all dangers.

Elaine listened attentively. This was quite another way to allow faith into one's life and it was not one she was familiar with. Yet it made sense, up to a certain point.

"Mother has many faces." She smiled. "The moon has a dark face as well when she needs to turn her attention inwards rather than shine out, yet would she honestly want you to go as blind as she pretends to be at times? Do you not think it is your choices -and not hers- that make you who you are, that show your strengths? There would be little to gain in your personal growth if every step was dictated by Her. Rather I would see she places you on crossroads where you make your decisions. That would be the true challenge where you will not only meet yourself, but Her as well."

She put a gentle hand on his arm if he allowed it. "She grants the opportunity. It is up to you to take it or not. Be yourself, dear one, not her Shadow. For you to be her fighter, you need to show the will to fight, not to sheepishly follow. That, from the sound of it, will be your greatest feat."

The blind woman blinked. Oh dear, I was too blunt...people should not get me started on these subjects! I just ramble on!

"I'm sorry, was that too direct? I would not pretend to know all, I can merely speak from experience."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis nodded. He seemingly had not properly expressed the basis of his beliefs. "I fear my human tongue is not sufficient to express my faith."

He thought for a moment about how he believed...

"I do not blindly follow. However, when I am confronted with the unknown, I ask for Her guidance. In battle, I rely on my skill and weapons, for I know that they will serve me well. But, I have fought terrible enemies that require much more than heart and steel to defeat. It is in those battles that I turn to the Mother for Her aid. In the times when I stand on my own, I praise the Mother, for I know that She gave me the talents and equipment that allowed me to survive the day."

Draydis looked a bit frustrated for a moment.

"I feel my faith in my heart, and I know that I am being true to myself and the purpose She has for me.....but I am having a hard time in expressing my faith in words."

He shrugged. "I suppose that simply means I am still working on finding my exact place in Her service."

DMD Member since 2005
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine smiled.

Thank the gods, he's not a sheep. We might not entirely agree, but at least he's a man on his own.

"The apology should be mine. I should have practiced my Adhiel more. I am truly sorry for making it so difficult." A little curtsey had to do it. This was hardly the place to make a big scene out of nothing, but luckily the general was more interested in the contents of their discussion than the form.

Yet there was one thing that just called for a reaction. "Perhaps it is the road which is part of that place?" She probed gently. "One fastened to a position is often not able to grow as they naturally would. By being on the road I feel strongly you are already serving Mother's intents and purposes. Goodness, who'd have thought I'd leave the very city I came to to learn about music, the city where it turns out I learned more about Mother and myself through music. Who'd have thought that same melody now leads me away from here?"

While she said it, the realization struck her. It's true. Ulder felt it, I feel it. We have to move on. This isn't just about escaping memories. There is more in play here. Is it coincidence that we would meet people like this man?

"Sir, you are on that road. I would say I am too. Perhaps we are focussing on a different aspect, but it would be equally strong. Now, without thinking too long about it, what welcomes you at the end of this road?"

She left the who or what vague on purpose. Would Draydis mention a feeling or would there be something concrete he was planning? Was he going to mention his own interpretation or would something else pop up? In her experience the blind woman had felt too many times that words bubbled up when she had fervently believed not to have them or even think them.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis thought for a moment about the words spoken by Elaine.

"Perhaps you are right about the road." His words sounded like he was still somewhat lost in thought.

"The road has taken me to many interesting places. I've fought terrible demons and have even joined a hunt against evil with a strange were-wolf creature that taught me about the Mother. The road is indeed an interesting place where much can be learned."

He smiled at Elaine.

"Being fixed in one place, such as I was when I was given command of the Emerald Guard, tends to make one stagnant. The road has a certain degree of freedom tied to it, and I enjoy that feeling. While there are many in the woods of Taquar that need help, there are many in our entire world that need help as well. I feel that my calling for now is in the world, for just in the last few weeks, I have gone from Taquar to Hafne to Dort, to here."

He thought again for a moment.

"The end of the road. That's an interesting question. I know not if the Mother Crone has accepted me into such a position, but I strive to live up to Her standards as Her sword...her Champion. For me, I feel that the end of my road is to find a cause that I can fight for...helping the weak, the innocent, the forgotten. To make right the wrongs of the world, to defend justice and honor, and to bring equality and freedom to those that are unfairly kept from realizing their potential and dreams. While some, such as my brother prefer the diplomatic route, I prefer a much more direct means by which I can help to defend these goals. Where he excels in the use of words, I prefer blade and bow. I seek to train others in the knowledge of the Mother, the power of Her faith, and the ways of warfare. My brother and I seek to rebuild the Guard into something even greater than it was before. My main goal with that rebuilding is to train an entire unit of holy warriors of the Mother that can stand against any form of evil and help to drive it from our lands. Wherever we go, others will see the love and power of the Mother and will join with Her on a journey to develop their own faith."

He shrugged. "Perhaps it will all come together into one final destination..."

Dray trailed off and was lost in silent prayer for a moment for the Mother to grant him clarity...
Last edited by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DMD Member since 2005
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine listened.
It was what she did best, after all.

It was good to hear the man mull over his actions and the possible consequences. It was even better to hear he was in motion. Without motion there could be no life.

I wonder if he realizes that every step he makes is already in her service. What more is he looking for? A tabard? A signal? He is everything he wishes to be. He has every bit of willpower and determination to see it through.

"Your enjoyment is evident, dear sir. You enjoy the trip, although you long for that moment of recognition. Yet I fully believe that the Mother already knows you and accepts you. Every word you speak is fuelled with Her power. Every ambition you show is on Her road. The final destination is following this path. To keep it up. To not give up. You are not seeking her service. She already found you."

The blind Achadhiel stood on tiptoes and kissed the man softly on his cheek out of impulse. "And you honour Her."
She smiled, feeling the strength of the earth through her words. "Recognition will come once you allow yourself to feel worthy. But trust me: She knows you."
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

The kiss on his cheek was unexpected, but appreciated. It gave Dray a sense of peace for some reason. Perhaps it was because Elaine was a devout follower of the Mother as well.

He thought for a moment about her words...

"I have fought against many terrible enemies. The Mother has blessed me in many of those fights. However, there is one thing that holds me back in combat. I remember fighting against an evil priest of Dominicus in King's Court, and though my blade skill could match his, he had the ability of magic, and was able to quickly dispatch my allies and almost myself. During that conflict, I watched the Avatar of the Mother bring down buildings with her faith magic. That same offensive magic power allowed the Avatar to defend herself from our enemy's magic."

He cleared his thoughts for a moment.

"It is true that I seek the acceptance of the Mother, but more importantly, I seek to grow in my abilities within Her faith. I seek to learn the ability of faith magic."

DMD Member since 2005
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

At least he did not withdraw from her touch. Elaine berated herself for her impulsive action. Who knew how he'd have reacted!

"Magic?" She chuckled. "Magic is simply another law of nature that we might not fully understand yet. The true magic of faith is allowing it to be. Allowing it to exist and cooperating with the forces at work instead of trying to force their hand. That's really all there is to it. It's already a part of all of us. Most yet never learn to see it."

She thought on how to explain this. "I believe in the power of Song. It comes from the lands and fills us, creating a harmony. If that harmony is broken, the body or the mind withers, sometimes even the land itself. It is that Song that I seek to restore in people. Because they all know that harmony. Somewhere inside they must recognize it and remember it. That is what I wish to touch, to find, to heal.

Some would call it faith magic, I guess. I simply work with what I've got. It's much easier to change the sails than to force the wind to blow in a different direction, after all."

The woman tilted her head. "Did that make sense?"
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled and archived. :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”