The Antechambre to the Council (Closed)

Moderator: Mods

Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Vanir felt a bit embarrassed that he had not recognized her sooner, although he had only seen her at the dinner. He was a bit surprised that she would be walking around the palace so casually. He did not let his surprise or embarrassment show through his appearance. The young bard had grown quite skilled at keeping his appearances in check. thaw sweet voice of the adhiel spoke softly and gently as he would to any lady.

"My apologies once more, it would seem. I should have known, but I am afraid I have never paid much attention to nobles, even those I am supposed to. Their is no need to adorn me with any title as a simple bard for most regards. My priestly duties do not require any titles, except for the unsavory ones cast at me by those who do not agree with my religon." Vanir looked deep into the cold, blue eyes of Lady Aesa. "You look....sad, my Lady. I am sorry, it is not my place, but I could never stand to see a young lady sad, even one far above my own station. Would you care to talk in private? I have been rumored to be quite the listener and some have even said I helped them once." The skilled lips of the lover turned into a light-hearted smile, hoping to thaw the icy princess.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!

Post by Guest »

Aesa was still nondescript enough in her dress to move with relative freedom within the Palace; unrecognised or even overlooked by the fashion conscious court, although that was quickly changing. She had not adopted the local mode of ornate dress, feeling far more self-assured in her accustomed attire. The young woman had experienced far too much change all at once to add what she considered a frivolity to the list.

“I am so far favoured with anonymity here, Master Alfheim,” Aesa replied in a neutral tone. “Do not apologise for not knowing me. I am not what is considered… a typical noble of the Citadel; particularly by the nobility.” There was the smallest hint of irony in her otherwise level voice.

Aesa bit her lower lip just slightly as Vanir spoke of her sadness, assuming that it was his priestly calling to see such things and entirely unaware of which god he served. She regarded him with her crystalline gaze, assessing the man before her with her warrior’s senses. It was a reflex for the Trothgardian warrior, and not one she felt inclined to give up.

The young woman had, only a day or two before, decided that she must learn more about Citadel religions. Perhaps this was an opportunity to do so, and that would afford her a better chance to assess this man. There was so much she did not know, and now she was thrust into a position she had certainly not expected.

“Do you enjoy mulled cider, Master Alfheim?” the young woman asked politely, in a tone that suggested a casual meeting. “Perhaps we might share a cup and some conversation,” Aesa suggested in the Trothgardian fashion.
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

Vanir was impressed by the warrior princess, more than he was used to being by nobles. Nobles were somewhat of a mystery to the bard, even though he had been around them his whole life. He never understood how one's blood made them better than another or why people regarded them so highly. He always understood how wealthy merchants got treated differently, but never the nobles. Aesa was much different than the nobles of Kislovan though, which was a good thing for Vanir.

"Not a typical noble? My lady, you should consider that a compliment." The bright, blue eyes of the priest shined with warmth and humor. "I, sometimes, wish I could be favoured with anonymity, but I am afraid I never get so lucky. There was a day when being noble was a trait of one's character, not a position. The typical nobles here have forgotten its true meaning, so be glad that don't consider you to be the same as them." The friendly smile grew into a grin at the jest.

"I would be honoured to share a cup of cider with you, my lady." Vanir bowed softly and followed Aesa wherever she lead.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

((OOC: Please continue here, Vanir.))
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Jayzen Du'Quild

Post by Jayzen Du'Quild »

Samheen 19th, mid Morningtide

After finding no success in the Great Hallway, Jayzen entered the Antechamber to the Council to continue his quest for information about Lady Manyatta, the Scouts Guild, and ultimately the location of his father.

At first Jayzen kept to the sides of the room and stroked his hands across the rich fabric that dressed the windows and chairs, admiring the quality of the cloth and the workmanship behind them. His family had been importing such beautiful weaves for hundreds of years and Jayzen wondered who sold the soft fabric to the Citadel.

Jayzen stared upwards at the golden chandelier, and a cheeky grin apeared upon his face. Wouldn't it be a great scam to steal that from the palace he mused. It wasn't so much the money that he wanted, it was the fame he would gain from the thieving world. What a bold con that would be... he mused as his grin became wider.

He sighed a happy sigh and pulled himself away from his fantasy, he had work to do here after all! Jayzen looked around the room, now focusing upon the people in it. He needed to start learning the who's who of the palace if he was ever going to get anywhere.
Last edited by Jayzen Du'Quild on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isabella Florentina
Countess Companio, "Countess Cabernet"

Post by Isabella Florentina »

It wasn't until Mid Tradetide that Isabella arrived. She was dressed in a deep burgundy dress, a black voile covering her face and her plunging neckline. The emerald signet ring on her finger was her secret. Her dark hair was gathered up in an elegant hairdo, left free by the voile, which showed a tantalizing bit of the olive skin of her neck before covering the rest.

Isa quickly scanned the room to see if Jacob was about. She would leave immediately if he was there. Not seeing any apparant sign of her nemesis, she floated into the room, this hub of power where people gathered how had business with the council. Has Andolin arranged for me to talk to the regent yet? Perhaps it is too early. Time to see if she could ferret out some information about what was going on at court. A little confirmation of Larbeido's death would be nice, or of Jacob's downfall. she thought savely.

OOC: I have a prior engagement, hence my late arrival. I hope you do not mind and if you do then perhaps we need to have two threads ;)
[size=92][color=darkred] [b][i]
Together they planned a power and a love that would be envied forever.
Who was to know that forever would be so short?[/i][/size][/color][/b]
Jayzen Du'Quild

Jayzen milled about in the crowd for a few hours, trying to strike up a conversation with someone without much success. He kept his humor however and pressed on, his spirit buoyant.

At Tradetide a particularly beautiful Lady in a remarkable burgundy dress arrived. Cocking his head to one side he gave a nod of deep respect to dressmaker that had put that outfit together.

Feeling that his luck had changed, Jayzen stroked a hand through his blonde locks, checking and smoothing any unruly stray curls. He put on his best smile and whirled his black cape around him, whiping it with an audible snap.

He approached he beautiful woman and introduced himself, bowing with a flourish of his hand. "Greeting my Lady, I am Jayzen Du'Quild. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
Isabella Florentina

Isabella was intrigued. The man before her had a roguish charm. He fitted right in, and yet Isa was sure that he was not a noble. He would like to be one though. A perfect tool.

"Countess Isadore Cabernet, from Kings Court" she introduced herself with an amused smile, and a thick exotic accent, extending her hand so that it may be kissed. Behind the voile her dark eyes twinkled "What brings you to seek out the Royal Council, milord?"

The Du'Quild family. Weren't they rich merchants in the same group as Master Vaeldemeux? Isabella's eyes swept over his well muscled elegant form. A younger son perhaps, trying to find his own place.

OOC: please note that lady Isabella Florentina is pretending to be Countess Isadore Cabernet ;)
Last edited by Isabella Florentina on Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayzen Du'Quild

Jayzen's eyes glowed as he took Isadore's hand and gently kissed it. "Greetings Countess." His gaze lingered briefly on the emerald ring before returning to eye level.

"Alas I am no milord, milady," he punned. "Merely the gentleman son of a wealthy tailor." he said with a inner strength, seperating himself from the noble class.

He raised from his bow, "Like most here, I come for information. You could say I'm on a noble quest, as in noble heart, not in noble birth." he grimaced. "I have come to seek the whereabouts of my missing father." Pausing he looked around to see who else was listening to their conversation.

"I have a lead that the Lady Manyatta may know something of him, but as of yet I have not been able to locate her..."
Isabella Florentina

"I am sorry Master Du'Quild," Isabella said with her accented tongue, "I fear that I am not from around these parts." Lady Manyatta. I have not heard from her.. and yet... For a short moment Isa wondered if the young lad was refering to Lady Manyana, whom Andolin had marked as being part of the Inner Circle. "Why are you on such a noble quest to find a lady, good sir? What makes you think that she'll know anything about your good father. Perhaps it is time to ask around in other circles. Is your father not a merchant?"

Isabella politely pointed to a nearby set of chairs "Come, pour me some refreshments and you may tell me all about it," she said with an amused smile tugging at her lips "and I will consider if there is ought that I can do to introduce you to the right people... if of course your story entertains me."
Iorn Thalas

Post by Iorn Thalas »

After his trading business Iorn noticed he had some time left before his dinner appointment with Ashari. He had heard of the antechamber, the place to be for everyone who was important in the city. And of course, Iorn could not walk passed the chamber without wandering around. To see and be seen.

He walked in through the room, grabbing a drink, friendly greeting the people he passed by. He was sure that there were people here that he could use. However, being a newcomer into the city, he was sure he would be used as well. To use and be used. Ahh, wasn't life grand.

Iorn noticed a blond guy talking to a woman with ravenblack hair. His lover also had ravenblack hair, maybe that's what made this woman stand out from the rest.
Isabella Florentina

Something undefinable cause Isabella to glance aside as she was in the middle of her conversation with Master Du'Quild. The black voile that only partially covered her face revealed her deep smile, as she observed a handsome adhiel and confidently linger. She had not seen his face before. A newcomer perhaps? she thought intrigued, her mind toying with countless possibilities.The arrogance he radiates... a powerful player..

Isa gave him an inviting look, while maintaining proper attention to the young man before her. There were plenty of chairs left in the little corner they had sat down in. "Look Master Du'Guild, perhaps this kind lord knows anything of your plight" she said friendly, not wanting to offend the youngster.
Iorn Thalas

Post by Iorn Thalas »

Iorn noticed the woman looking at him, casually enough for her companion not to immediately feel dumped. But the hint was there.

The adhiel smiled as he looked back at her with a twinkle in his eyes. The Citadel had sexy women. He liked that. He walked over and sat down on one of the empty chairs.
"Excuse me miss, sir. I noticed there were a couple of chairs free in this corner and you two seemed like you were just chitchatting. I could use some chitchat after all the horrible boring business talk all morning."
He took a sip of his drink before continuing. "The name is Thalas, Iorn Thalas. I've come here from Kings Court." Putting the glass on the table, he grabbed the hand of the lady and kissed it. "And what name has been given to such a beautiful gift from the gods."
Isabella Florentina

"Pleased to make your aquintaince Lord Thalas" Isabella said as alarmbells were soaring through her. So many men were approaching her since her return to the citadel that it was almost putting her in a dizzy spill. Perhaps it was the Kings Court accent. Afterall men like the exotic.This is the companion of lady Gywien. And he lives next door to Andolin. All good reasons to be extra nice. With an approving smile she watched Iorn press his lips to her outstretched hand. VERY nice Lady Gywien. I just might have to borrow.

Isa was sure her Rose perfum was encircling their small group and she made no effort to hide the plunging neckline of her burgundy dress, while playing the modest lady with her fan, fluttering it about. "Countess Isadora Cabernet at your service," she told Iorn simply "Just recently arrived from Kings Court." Remembering Ashari's reaction she hastily added "Though the Cabernet estates are further south."

For a moment she observed the gentleman from behind her fan "I have met a .. aquintance of yours.. over lunch," she said teasingly, and not at all bothered by the implication. Isa was after all a panling and she had no concept of sin, unless it pertained to one of her partners.

Belatedly remember her duty she turned to Jazyen Du'Guild to introduce him "Lord Thalas may I introduce Master Du'Guild. Master Du'Guild, I present Lord Thalas. Milord, Master Du'Guild is looking for his long lost father and so is looking for information on people who have last seem this famous merchant."
Iorn Thalas

Post by Iorn Thalas »

There were three things that set off the alarm in Iorn's head. First of all there was her name. Cabernet. Iorn had never heard the name in KC before. And he had seen quite some names when he was working on the government trade. The second thing that gave her away was the accent. It was a good try and there were many different accents in the western kingdom, but somehow it didn't fit. What really gave her away though was her look. Iorn had been to a number of parties with the KC nobles. And at every party, the first thing he did when he walked into the room was to see which women were there. It was something that happened completely automatic, he couldn't stop it even if he wanted to. And he knew he would have remembered this lady.

However, he had his own secrets to hide. She could be of use to him. It was nice to have an edge. he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath to inhale the rose perfume. "Ah, the Cabernets, yes I've heard of their estate, it is supposed to be one of the more beautiful ones in the area." he replied with a smile that didn't hide anything about knowing fully well that she was lying.

With the acquaintance she had to be talking about Ashari. Afterall, he had no other acquaintances in the Citadel. Interesting..Ashari had lunch with this woman..heh..I wonder how that went..

Turning towards Jayzen he offered his hand. I't nice to meet you Master Du'Guild. I'm sorry to hear about your father. I would be willing to help in any way I can. However, I do not know my way around the city that well just yet."
Jayzen Du'Quild

Jayzen took the adhiel's hand warmly, meeting his eyes as an equal would salute another. "Greetings Lord Thalas, welcome to the Citadel."

Jayzen was mildly suspicious of these two from Kings Court. His father was a spy, and the fact that the Citadel even had a Scouts Guild was one of its great secrets. He also found it strange that no one in the Citadel was interested or able to help him, yet these two from the Court seemed eager and capable.

He noticed how Isabella was flirting gaily with the two men, trying to attract the attentions of both of them, possibly to create some kind of rivalry. Then it dawned on him, he was being played! These two knew each other perfectly well and were just trying to trap him!

He had played this game himself on the docks, find a wealthy foreign merchant who was lost in the city, "help" him out and then steal evertything he owned. These Kings Court nobles had just substituted the docks and money for court and information. Jayzen grinned and looked at them both in a new respect. These nobles were no better than thieves, they just looked prettier.

The first defense against a trap, is to know its existence, feeling more comfortable about the whole situation Jayzen sat down at the table, gesturing for the others to do likewise. Let's see who gets played... he thought wryly.

Maintaining he warm composure he spoke, "My father is a fabrics trader who travels constantly, seeking new weaves and materials. He was due back from his last trip overseas some nine months ago. I have done many investigations to find him but nobody seems to know where he is. After much research I believe I have a lead in the Lady Manyatta, he may have had some dealings with her before he left. It is not the best information, but it is the only thing I have at the moment..." he paused in a frustration that was only half acted.

"Whatever help you can give me I would appreciate immensly." he appealed.
Isabella Florentina

OOC: bravo, nicely played Jayzen! Do remember though that what your character is assuming might not necessarily be true, nor can he of course read our thoughts which might reveal what that truth is :) Note that Isa did not mention the scoutguild for instance, nor did she claim knowledge of "Lady Manyatta", even though she has an inkling who that is.

IC: There was no such thing as the Cabernet estates. Isa had made all that up to cover her tracks. She was afterall a Citadel intriguant, not a Western Kingdom noble. Iorn obviously knew her for what she was.

Isabella's eyes held a shortlived flash of panic before that heartstopping emotion became excitement, her eyes narrowing slightly as she observed lord Thalas shrewdly. So, a challenge. He knows me for a fraud but choses not to expose me. He has use for me then. As she had for this handsome adhiel. Perhaps they could reach a mutual beneficial agreement. Isa always got excited when there was a powergame afoot. Lord Iorn Thalas radiated danger, just the hint of something in the shadows. It was one of the things she adored in Andolin. A lazy smile spread on the darkhaired lady's face as she arched a questioning eyebrow at her challenger. They would have to investigate the matter further, in private.

First though, this other nice young man, who showed much promise in the matters of court. With the right schooling I could set him up as a spy, Isabella considered. If he was looking for a person of the Inner Circle, Isa forgot what position Lady Manyana held precisely, then he must have his own contacts and a desire to become involved somehow.

Isabella gave the man a warm smile "Perhaps one of his fellow traders would know of his fate, and his contacts with this mysterious lady. Lord Thalas, would you happen to know any influential merchants in the Citadel? I seem to recall Lady Gywien mentioning something about Master .. Veudemeu was it?." Isabella deliberately misspelled the name. How very interesting it would be to learn of the fate of that dasterdly merchant. Isa wondered if Lord Thalas knew about the grisly past of Master Vaeldemeux. She suspected he did not. An interesting tidbit she might dangle in front of him.
Iorn Thalas

Post by Iorn Thalas »

The adhiel noticed her reaction. Ahh, good, the foundation for the plans are forming quite nicely. We will have so much to discuss lateron.

Iorn nodded. "You recall correctly lady Cabernet. We bought our mansion from Lord Vaeldemeux. I suppose I could always ask him." Thinking about what Ashari had done for the man, Iorn knew that he could ask for a small favour. "He was rather pleased with the sale, I doubt that he would mind me asking. And I could always ask with the trade department here in the palace. Would be nice to be able to change the subject to something less boring then numbers."

After taking another sip of his drink, he continued. "I am sorry to say that I don't know anything about this Lady Manyatta though. What kind of business would he have had with her?"
Isabella Florentina

Isabella leaned forward every so slightly "The Trade department? So you are into trade yourself. How interesting." Indeed it was. What deal was lord Thalas brokering? Lady Gywien had been deliberately vague about this mans business. I bet he would love to meet his neighbor, and stay on his good side.

"Lady Gywien told me of your lovely new house," Isa said with twinkling eyes, "right in the heart of the Empire."
Iorn Thalas

Post by Iorn Thalas »

Iorn leaned in as well, so that their lips came very close. "I can imagine more interesting things.." He then sat back again, emptying his glass with a tingle in his eyes. "Yes, well, they say it's the best place in town. It's nice indeed."

Iorn didn't sound too enthusiastic. Although he knew this mansion was better then his old one, this woman, who was obviously not from the Court, couldn't know what it looked like.
Isabella Florentina

Nice doesn't even begin to describe it. There are few other mansions quite so close to the palace, "I hear it is close to the palace," Isa said aloud, "that should be convenient, I'm sure. Do you have much business with the trade department?"

A little shiver ran up her back due to their close proximity, and even when Iorn leaned back again it was as if invisible threads of physical tension connected them. Perhaps it was Isa's empathy playing tricks on her, but she was not complaining.
Iorn Thalas

Post by Iorn Thalas »

"It is indeed very close to the palace. My neighbour is the Master of Protocol. Haven't met him yet though. Heh, I probably have to make an appointment to do that."

Iorn liked playing around with this woman. She was fun, although he had no real intention of cheating on Ashari, it was nice to walk on the edge of the blade. He knew he should not come too close though, the attraction might be too much.

"My business with the trade department is just beginning. I'm negotiating trade on behalf of Kings Court."
Isabella Florentina

"Oh," Isa breathed, full honest interest, "trade, in these times.. you are a brave man lord Thalas" A Kings Court representative, a man from the OTHER court. How intriguing. How tantalizing. If Isabella could introduce him it would give her ooddles of respect and control. It wet her appitite.

"What does the church think of your activies?" she wondered idely, remembering Ashari's opinion and her devastating dream. She stopped just short of questioning the rightousness of the church. She was supposed to be a Dominicus woreshipper herself after all.

Isabella gave him a direct, frank look "I might be able to arrange some contacts with the Master of Protocol you know. He is a duke, from the Western Kingdom. World's Mouth. The .. ah.. Azarin family? The Cabernets have had some contacts through intermarriage."
Iorn Thalas

Post by Iorn Thalas »

Iorn noticed the interest she obviously had in the trade.What would she want with the trade? Or is it more about the government position?

"The church?" Iorn chuckled, revealing his true feelings for the church. "What would the church have against an attempt to bring more food and supplies to those in need?"

The adhiel had to laugh about the direct, frank look. He was pretty new to the game of politics and power, but he liked it. He liked how it was played. Yet not knowing the rules, he didn't always play by them either. "Heh, you can arrange something with the Master of Protocol? Azarin hmm? Haven't heard the name in the Court." Casually waving with his hand he continued. "Doesn't he hold parties of some sort? There were balls almost every week in Kings Court." Iorn was hoping to irritate her, trying to see what exactly made her tick.
Isabella Florentina

Isa laughed politely with Iorn as he mocked his church. Brave man. I would think twice before mocking Pan, lest the light strick me down. Then again, I have no reason to.

"Balls?" Isa echooed, her eyes flashing anger for a moment. Does he take me for the fool?. Why would I hang myself over this? "I wouldn't know, I have never personally attended them. My husband was very... protective of me.. I would assume that Lord Azarin and his family kept in World's Mouth instead of going to the capital, wouldn't you agree?" she said cooly. Who do you think I am.. a country bumpkin? Any Citadel events makes KC pale in comparison she thought, her blood boiling.

Deliberately turning her back on Iorn for a moment Isabella turned her inviting smile upon Jayzen "Was your father a regular at court, or did he have other dealings?" She leaned in close enough for him to catch a glimps of her neckline, encircled by her rose perfume.

Isa observed Iorn from behind her fan as she listened, for all intents and purposes with full attention, to the young man before her.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”