Purple Guard FAQs

Moderator: Mods

Hoppy

Purple Guard FAQs

Post by Hoppy »

What is the Purple Guard ?
The Purple Guard was founded by Sosa, Grandmaster of the Temple Order of Illuminatus and a member of the Party of Light, in the time before the Great Battle. The order was founded to protect the Steward Lachnora Tal A’keen, who fell mysteriously ill around that time. Since then, the Purple Guard have served as bodyguards for the Royal Family, currently only consisting of Caesar Anochrim.

Religion plays a part in their training and lives. Quite a few, although not all, of the Purple Guard are Paladins, sworn to protect the Empire against the Forces of Darkness. The others swear to protect the Empire, uphold the law, and serve the Caesar loyally and faithfully. The Purple Guard is the most militant of forces available to the Ceasar, his very own elite unit. They are reserved for the most dangerous of situations, not for routine business. This sometime includes diplomatic missions.

How long does training last?
Only after a minimum of a year of training do they earn their purple garments and their silver armor. Until such time they are considered trainees, in lilac uniforms.

After I 'graduate' then what?
You will serve the royal family at duties in and around the Citadel; standing guard, running errands, and guarding the diplomats and guests. Purple guards accompany the Caesar as he leaves the Citadel. Some of them go on secret quests, or diplomatic and trade missions on behalf of Caesar Anochrim and his Inner Circle.

Does the Purple Guard have subdivisions?
No, not as such. Aspects usually covered by subdivisions are taken up by other organisations in the Citadel such as the scouts guild, the battlemage department and the underground dealings of assassins and cutthroats.

However, there are two groups within the Purple Guard who are intermingled: the normal soldiers and the paladins. The paladins are part of the Temple Order of Illuminatius of which Sosa is grandmaster. There is no difference in their treatment, but the paladins are more likely to be used in certain dealings of the Temple Order.

Can I learn magic?
Magic is not taught at the Purple Guard, but its use is not forbidden. It will be difficult to fit in a mage training during your initiation in the Purple Guard.

Can I be a paladin?
Yes, but paladins start at the Oracle's Isle for they have to be initiated as priest first.

How do other warrior societies view the Purple Guard?
The Purple Guard is not very concerned with its reputation. It is an elite force with a pure focus on protecting that what the people of the Empire hold dear by the use of force. It has an appeal to the shorter lived races.

Who can join the Purple Guard?
Anybody with the right aptitude. Race is not an issue at the Purple Guard, and this elite force mirrors the variety available in the Empire of Seven Isles.

Should my PC have any particular personal qualities that will help him/her in the Purple Guard?
The men and women who serve in the Purple Guard are the best of the best. They are chosen for their positions from the ranks of excellent soldiers, or by scouts roaming the empire searching for talent. The Chosen should be in good health and shape, trained in fighting, etiquette, diplomacy and heraldry; or possess the ability to acquire those proficiencies. They should be honest, discrete, loyal, intelligent, and possess a pure heart.

How does one join the Purple Guard?
Please sign up in the Citadel at the opening thread for the Purple Guard and follow the instructions.

Do I have to take classes?
Yes, you will follow a rigorous training. The program consists of:

Swords, knives, and other weapons
Martial arts and defensive moves
The arts of guarding a VIP
Swimming, sailing, and riding (including airborn)
At least two modern languages
Knowledge of at least 3 seperate modern cultures
Etiquette at court and heraldry
Political science and diplomacy
Rhetoric, debating, and crowd control (all the wit one expects of a well spoken person)
Spiritual training comparable to a novice priest

Who teaches the classes?
Some classes are taught by Sosa herself and she always welcomes the new trainees at the beginning of each year. The other classes are taught by nobles, mercenaries, former thieves and cut-throats, and priests and diplomats.

Do I have to live in the barracks?
Yes you do. The Purple Guard have their barracks and training ground near the Citadel palace. Only Guards and trainees, in their purple or lilac, are allowed to enter.

Can I do things outside the barracks?
Yes, as long as your schedule allows for it.

Who pays for all this if it's free?
It is paid for by the crown. You will receive a salary.

Will I have fun?
That is up to you. Opportunities will be presented to you for fun to happen, what you make of it is up to you.

What is the connection between the Purple Guard and Illuminatus?
Illuminatus is the patron god of the Purple Guard. A priest of the Light One judges each candidate during the selection procedure. This is because the Temple Order of Light founded the Purple Guard.

All righty then, I want to join the Purple Guard. What kind of skills should I start out with?
Any skills that round out your character, that fit his/her background, or can be rationally explained. Some complimentary skills include, but are not limited to: any of the fine arts, any thing that will further your specialty, literacy, a weaponskill. Remember that you will gain many skills during your training so you do not have to be the perfect fighter when starting.
Last edited by Hoppy on Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”