University of Magick - Entrance Thread

Moderator: Mods

Eva

Post by Eva »

"well for a start my name is definitely not Sheba, It is Eva Laws" She snapped. How rude she thought, he can't even remember my name after I introduced myself and everything. " I would like to learn Magick please, something like telekinesis, elementalism, and sorcery" Eva said.
"I know that is a lot but I would love to be able to move things with my mind, control fire, water, earth and the other elements, while also being able to do everything a sorcerer can do" she explained. "Also if possible, I would like to develop my animal empathy ability"she anounced. Eva waited in anxiety, hoping there would be a way that she could learn to do all of that. She stood waiting for a reply.
Last edited by Eva on Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:00 am, edited 8 times in total.

Choose, then

Post by Guest »

Mr. Glenn nodded absently as she corrected him. His gaze was a little hazy, and Eva could clearly see he hadn't nodded as much out of agreement or apology, but simply because somewhere deep inside, there was a mechanism that told him nodding would be appropriate at this moment. He probably hadn't even really heard her.

"That's very nice, miss," he continued after she'd related what she wanted to learn. "Now, there's a couple of things we need to know at the university. As you probably are aware, this institute provides for your housing and food; if you desire other arrangements to be made or if you have a residence off campus that you'd prefer to inhabit, now is a good time to tell us.
"Also, the University makes a distinction between two types of magick: regular sorcery, which we refer to as pure sorcery, and battle magicks. The former focusses almost completely on advancing your abilities and lores on all arts of magick, while the latter will offer you a blend of magickal and physical abilities, mostly aimed at, erm, armed conflict." From his tone, it was clear that mr. Glenn approved of the latter branch.
"Which of the two do you prefer, miss?"
His pen was poised over the parchment, ready to fill in details.
Eva

Post by Eva »

OOC: MERRY CHRISTMAS
sorry for the shortness of this reply

"well, I would like to learn sorcery, animal empathy, telekinesis and elementalism, would that be pure sorcery or battle magicks?" Eva politely replayed. "Also I would like to stay at the university, as my home is quite a walk from here and I can not see myself walking here and back every day" she said.
Last edited by Eva on Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

There was a shrug of the shoulders.
"Well," the man replied, "that depends, really. A focus on most of the things you've mentioned would mean, I guess, pure magick. Yet if you want to develop animal empathy, it means you also have to learn a lot about animal handling, and be around animals quite a bit. We have a bestiary at the University, but it's over at one of the battle magick faculties. So I guess it depends on where your priorities lie."

Meanwhile, he entered some information onto the sheet. He noted down her name - spelled wrong, still Sheba, but somehow, the entry corrected itself so that it came to read Eva - and entered that she wanted a residence on campus. Then he waited for her to reply.

"Oh, and," he added as an afterthought, "do you have any preferences about your mentor? Usually it's not a problem, but some people these days prefer to be taught solely by, say, women or adhiel. Can't say I understand the thing, but there you have it."
Eva

Post by Eva »

A look of disappointment swept across Eva's face. She had wished to develop her animal empathy, but knew what she had to do. "well, since most of the things I wish to learn are pure sorcery, then I will take pure sorcery" Eva sadly replied. It isn't all bad , at least I can learn everything else I wished to learn she thought. " Also it doesn't matter if my mentor is male, female, adhiel or anything else, I'm sure their all as good as each other anyway".
Last edited by Eva on Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Mr. Glenn wrote down some more - well, a lot more - and the paper sporadicaly corrected itself without him even really noticing. After writing for a while, he rolled up the sheet of parchment, bound it with a red string, and sealed it with wax and the sigil of the University. Handing it to Eva, he said: "There you go, your official enrollment in the university of magick. Since you've asked for focus on pure sorcery and, among other things, elementalism, I'm going to assign you to mentor Redgrave. He and professor Somnovis should be able to teach you a great deal."

Opening up a jar, the administrator took out a bit of powder and sprinkled it over the bound-up parchment. There was a slight glitter, and then, a small glowing spark rose up from the bundle. The light hovered before Eva for a while, and then slowly floated into the university.
"If you follow that light, miss Sheba, you'll be brought to your mentor, mr. Redgrave. It will guide you to his office along the quickest path."

And, as if clearly wanting to indicate that they were done, and that Eva should direct any other question she might have to her mentor, he called out powerfully: "Next!"

((ooc: Your story continues in the thread "Redgrave's Office - Samheen 18"))
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Kathren had left the Palace with no trouble, except what was stirring so feverently in her mind... Her mother... She felt like positively retching, but held it in, she had to keep her compsure, now more then ever...

She reached the magnificent University without trouble as Alaric had said she would. She was silent as she entered, taking it all in... A smile on her face despite her mood all the time.

"H...Hello?" Her voice seemed to echo almost mysteriously throughout the caverous front... Lobby?... It was so big that she couldn't even find a word to fit it...

A gray haired man popped up from behind a large desk at the back end of the hall. "Yes, yes deay lady don't just stand there gawping. Come and tell me what you seek here at the University."
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alexathe N'drine

Post by Alexathe N'drine »

Lexa walked silently through the halls of the University, careful not to let her boots make a sound. There was no real reason for her caution except as a point of pride; after weeks spent on the road, she had learned the benefits of keeping her presence quiet. Now as she approached the registrar's desk she noticed another woman speaking to him, so she came to stand behind her to wait her turn.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Kathren seems to have disappeared and would be in a different timestamp than Alexathe anyway. So the registrar is free to see you. :)

IC:

"You have a very gentle step, miss. That will be appreicated in the quieter halls of learning." The gray haired man behind the desk greeted her as she approached. "What do you seek here at the University of Magic." As he spoke a fresh scroll of parchment unrolled itself before him and a quill was poised above it ready to record her words.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alexathe N'drine

"My name is Alexathe N'drine," she said with a smile. "My particular interest is elemental magic, especially weather magic. I want to learn magic because it seems a worthwhile application of knowledge." Lexa felt an urge to fiddle with the hem of her shirt, but she fought it--she was rarely nervous, but after risking so much to come here she was anxious to be accepted into the university. The registrar seemed to be a welcoming person at least, which warmed her considerably.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The quill inscribed the name Alexathe N'drine at the top of the scroll and beneath it was written Elemental Magic subspecialty Weather.

"You have chosen a loftly goal for yourself miss N'drine. To work with the weather is to mainpulate nature on a grand scale. Few have the ability; fewer still have the length of vision to do it well." He pronounced looking at her kindly.

"So tell me, what preparations have you made towards this goal? Any training in research methods, meditation, that sort of thing?" He asked her. "And incidently, from your accent I take it you are from World's Mouth?" He stated more than asked. "Why do you seek your training here and not at the colleges there?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Alexathe N'drine

Alexathe had expected these sort of questions. "I came here for a simple reason, I suppose," she said a little shyly. "I wanted to get away from home. It was quite stifling. And they didn't want me to be a mage. I'm surprised that they let me continue my education as long as they did. BUt my education has been strictly academic; my tutor was friendly to mages but he wanted to keep his job. He suggested that I would be much happier here, pursuing my dream away from my parents' reach." A wry grin twisted her mouth as she looked at the registrar. "No mysterious reason, as you see."

Post by Guest »

OOC: This is a continuation of Zarias's thread from Terra Incognita. A record of his time in the Sands can be found here. Forgive me if I've taken liberties with the University of Magick staff.

IC:

Samheen 20th – Tradetide

It had been a day of peculiar sensations for the mage. He’d been scoured by millions of grains of sand; felt his bodily orifices sewn closed and had his body desiccated when moving between planes. And then, he had had to feel the humiliation of Aeis’ scorn as well as the absolute dependence on strangers for mercy. And for a final shot, he’d been thrown unceremoniously through a portal by those same strangers.

But for him, the portal was the least disturbing experience of the day. It was odd to feel his body succumb to the magic of the transportation device. The energies combined in the portal pierced his every molecule, latching to them like leeches on their prey. His own energy fused with the sucking tendrils of the portal and flowed forward into oblivion. Infinite particles of Zarias began the journey through the Aether on their way to the Citadel. Had Zarias known what was happenening, he would have prayed to every god he knew to ensure that each molecule arrived safely.

The time to travel to his destination was incalculable. His departure had been simple. One foot at a time, he’d stepped through an open door. His arrival, though, was not.

The sensation of having his molecules individually sucked apart left him feeling stained and tainted. Zarias instinctively knew the travel was over, but the feelings lingered, crawling through his skin. He’d arrived in the Hall of Ages.

It was an ironic arrival. Upon arriving in the Hall of Ages, visitors often stare at the hall in mute wonder. Zarias had no choice. The impressive edifice, topped by twenty three magnificent spires was lost on the blind mage. It’s paintings, sculptures and other fine art were lost to him; at least visibly. More toward the back, space has been reserved for those who wish to study. Had Zarias possessed all of his senses, even he would appreciate the history stored in the University of Magic.

As he stepped out of the portal, the small man at the desk noticed only the arrival of a hooded figure. He rose to greet the newcomer. Portal travel had just been initiated and he was excited to greet one of the first, official users of the magic.

Post by Guest »

Pain, raw pain had twisted Zarias. he did not know where he was but he still had an unnerving desire to inflict pain. Somehow his own continuing pangs of hunger and of a futile numbing of his face seemed less pronounced when he hurt others. He did not know where he was and despite being able to last in the desert, blind, deaf and unable to speak he did not think he could last here. He would be killed on sight by anyone. That demon had double crossed him in terms of rewards and had left him without a hope and only the most sparse of talents to use. She had favoured others but not him and that fact angered him more than any other.

He found himself standing on hard ground, possibly marble. Did it really matter to him. He could be in the Kings court or the lost jungle city of Sierra it did not matter to him. The lack of perception was destroying his mind yet further. Real beauty and hence real truth can be found in a single way. A difficult mix of imagination that Zarias found working hard now and the vital perception. Without perception to anchor the imagination he knew he would fly away. Madness had enveloped him already. His lucid grip on his senses would be the next to leave him. He had relied on the demon to quash his mortality and remove the necessity for human emotion, that would have made him cold and lucid but largely sane. Here Zarias stood now.

He reached his arms out and stumbled falling to his knees. His cloak that had been given to him by the monks falling around him as he lay flat on the cold floor. The travel had reduced his capacity for movement, for delicate finesse he once commanded. The rocky krags of Dort were a distant memory now. Stepping along the high points to steal the eggs of gulls was a fond moment of his life. He would of flung himself off now and he would not have been missed.

He lay, feeling the cold hard stone on his face. Near to suffocating because of the lack of air that could reach his lungs without his mouth in operation. Life was so precious and transient, Zarias stood precariously in the balance of life and death. His body was wasting and he could feel himself slowly dying now. Mentally he was dead, his will has lasted as far as the demoness but her lack of reward had broken it at last and with that Zarias felt himself, in many ways slowly fading. Soon he would be just a husk. A pitiful sewn up corpse devoid of feeling or of sentience.
Alexathe N'drine

Alexa heard the man groaning on the marble floor behind her, and immediately turned her attention from the registrar to the slumped body of the traveler.

"Dear gods!" she breathed, then swung her head to face the registrar. "He's traveled through a portal, hasn't he?Ddo you have healers here? Oh, stupid question, I'm sure you do..." Her voice faded as she practically ran over to the prostrate form. Once she got closer, her breath stopped in her throat. The stranger looked as if he'd been turned into a living shroud, sewn up around the eyes and mouth. Lexa had seen a lot of things, but never something like this. She was speechless, and slowly turned around to face the registrar with a frightened look on her face.
Last edited by Alexathe N'drine on Tue May 10, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The registrar looked as shaken as she did but that did not slow him down for a moment. With a gesture three globes of light were summoned from his hand and swiftly sent off into the halls of the University. The registrar then turned back to Alexathe and the poor creature before them.

"I would stand back for the moment." He advised. Unheeded by both of them scrolls filled themselves with information on the desk behind them as the registrar examined the man.

"I've not seen energies like this before." He murmured with only a slight quaver in his voice. "If they did this to him I hope never to see them again."

Three mages rush into the Hall of Ages following balls of light. Two comw swiftly to his side with the calm confidence of those that face unpleasant things for a living. They examine him as the registrar did and exchange looks of concern. The dessicated husk of a man rose from the ground at a gesture from one of them and they all retreat back into the deeper halls of the University.

The third mage ignores all but the portal the man stumbled out of. "I can't be sure, but it seems to be one of the desert portals." He announced to no one in particular. I wouldn't have thought them still standing. When we've got the manpower to spare we really should discover exactly who is controlling that one. Let's see if I can discover anything more."

The registrar laid a hand on Alexathe's shoulder. "We should leave him to his work and get you started on your studies. The world grows stranger day by day and we need more to help us understand and to guard. Is this still the path you would follow?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

Samheen 20th

A tall red-haired man dressed in servants' garb and carrying a book and a wooden box walked hesitantly into the Hall. His eyes took in the dimensions of the room and the buildings he had passed, creating various mathematical relationships to describe them to himself.

The portal intrigued him, but his questions about the "newly" discovered ancient portals were not the primary reason for his visit to this place.
Still.... did he say "desert" portals? How curious...
That set his mind on quite a different pattern, one concerning his studies of Amun Rah.
That may be a possible route of transmission...

He focused more intently on the mage studying the portal while he waited for the receptionist to become available.
Alexathe N'drine

Alexa turned to the registrar with a determined look on her face. "Please sir, I've not come all this way for nothing. I knew that this would not be an easy path when I chose it." Her fingers clenched a little, but she smiled. "Just show me what to do and where to go, and I'll do it." She made a conscious effort not to think of what she'd just seen as she spoke to the registrar, and she was able to bring a taut smile to her dark features. Alexa was not a girl to be frightened or discouraged easily, and she refused to turn back now.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Alexathe

The registrar nodded to her and gave her a taut smile in return. "Good. We need more stern souls in this place." He reaches behind him and one of the scrolls on the desk comes into his hand. "Follow the light globe." With a wave of his hand, a sphere of white light appears. "It will take you to professor Redgrave's office. Give him this scroll and he will get you settled. Welcome to the University, Alexathe. Good fortune to you."

Barrett

The made said nothing more as he continued his scrutiny of the portal nor did he notice Barrett's scrutiny of him.

Once the woman he was tending to went off into the University following a ball of light, the registrar turned his attention to Barrett. "Greetings. What do you seek at the University?"
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Ah, yes. Good tide you. I'm Barrett from the Citadel Archives. I've come to interview one of your staff... Ashtallion Urdil. I'm putting together a report for the Council on some recent events and his input is most essential."

"Er, I was also wondering if information were available concerning these 'Portals' I've been hearing so much about."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"Mr. Urdil is a student not a staff member." The man behind the desk corrected him. "If it is necessary to see him right away I can send a summons for him. Else I suggest you try his room in the student dormitory." Barret noted that a quill was writing out a shorthand version of their conversation upon a scroll on the desk.

"As for the Portals, are you looking for information on how you may obtain permission to use one, or on the sorceries behind their creation and function?" He inquired.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Ah, thank you for the correction."

"Regarding the Portals, I was wondering about information on their locations and numbers and whether there was any means of tracking their use: who has used them to travel and when and where they have gone or come from. I am also interested in the process involved in getting permission for such travel as well as the sorceries behind their function."

"As for Master Urdil, if you can direct me to his room I will be happy to go to him."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"We do keep such records for our portals, sir." The registrar informed him. "I am told the Temple of Pecunia also make careful note of who uses theirs. Of course I am also told they will obscure your name for the right amount of gold. We are not so mercanery here." The man smiled in satisfaction."

"As for locations, in depends upon the portal in question. Some have fixed destinations while others can be made to choose a destination either by the proper incantations spoken before entering or in some cases by needing to physically alter components of the portal. We are finding the creation and reactivation of portals to be individual to the mages involved. Much less formulaic than we originally expected. Practically I can say that if you wish to reach any of the major settlements of the Seven Isles they can be reached through the portals. All you need to gain access to the portals is the support of one of the faculty. If you do not know one, you may try to convince me for my backing." The registrar smiled once more.

"Discussion of the sorceries involved I will decline for the moment as it would no doubt become a long conversation full of unfamiliar jargon that I do not have time for while on duty. You are of course welcome to seek out faculty with more time on their hands." The registrar informed him. "When you have finished with your questions and concerns, I shall summon a guide to take you to the student's quarters."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“Many thanks. You have been most informative. I would ask more, but I should attend to my duties first. I must seek Master Urdil now. Would you mind if I stopped back by to discuss this further after I have interviewed him?”
Morg

Post by Morg »

Morgan gaped as he entered the Hall, stopping in mid-stride. The room was many times bigger than any he'd ever been in. Just as quickly he cursed himself inwardly for his reaction; he'd taken great pains never to appear an ignorant, naive farmboy, even when he had been an ignorant, naive farmboy, and gawping now was hardly going to set him on the right path or impress his potential tutors and fellow students.

He was grateful for the hat which shadowed some of his features as he renewed his efforts to appear nonchalant. Locating the registrar's desk, he leant against the wall as the clerk spoke to a tall red-headed man, waiting for his turn.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”