Troth: To the Gray Talons - Hamar - 27th ET

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Troth: To the Gray Talons - Hamar - 27th ET

Post by Hamar so`Bergliin »

Hamar did not have much to pack. In truth, he had barely unpacked all of his belongings from his time aboard ship. It took little time to winnow through it and slip only the truly necessary into his pack. In a mark, Hamar was ready to set out again. His heart was not nearly so easy to preapre.

Hamar had just returned home after so long away. Who could blame him for taking a tradetide to enjoy one last meal with the family and help his father at the forge one last time. Hamar did not tell them the truth. How do you tell your parents that you have been chosen by the Ice Queen to delve into mysteries that drive men mad? So Hamar told them a partial truth, that the Wise Ones had chosen him to accompany one of their members on a journey since he was such a good assistant to the Wise One on the boat. They looked like he felt: pride in being chosen and sad that he was going away so soon.

Hamar lingered as long as he dared tempt Maha's temper. Then he bid his family farewell and returned to the Temple of the Ice Queen.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Outside the Temple, two dog sleds were waiting, packed and laden with supplies. The dog teams themselves were not yet present, but Maha was. She was wearing a thick coat of fur and skin that was unbuttoned at the front to show warm priestess vestments beneath. It was almost comical. Here was this old lady, seemingly frail and fragile, and she was watching over the supplies and other preparations like an experienced trader. This was no casual jaunt to Grimkell, but you would never know by looking at her. She was smiling and pleasant, and almost...relieved looking.

When she spotted him, she waved him over. If he had made her wait longer than what she had expected, she gave no sign of it. She was downright giddy compared to the stern, stoic priestess he had seen in the temple. She was buckling a knife to her waist as she spoke.

"Young Hamar. Welcome. Store your things on that sled over there. Our guide will be along shortly. Has has been in the Talons many times and can show us the way of the Ruud. I hope you are prepared."

A few burns passed and along came a large, burly man dressed head to toe in furs and skins. He had a heavy beard, and looked like one of the many miners in Grimkell. He had that tough, weathered look about him as if he'd never ventured indoors much, and spent most of his days in the free, frozen places of the north. He carried three thick spears in one of his large, gloved fists, and a large dog trotted unleashed in front of him. As he got closer, a closely woven wool cap could be seen on his head, but it was too small and left his ears uncovered. A large tattoo indicating he was a slave reached down his jaw down under his collar.

A thin wisp of a boy was with him, but before that came too near, the two had words and the young man went on his way, sulking and disappointed that he was not going to accompany them. He kicked stones angrily before heading off and afterwards the large man approached Maha. She brought him over to Hamar.

"Hamar so`Bergliin, this is Ukko. He will be our guide in the Talons."

The man was as large as an Ice bear close up. He removed his glove and held out one meaty had for Hamar to shake.

"Pleased to meet you sir." He said kindly in a voice that was deep and resonant.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar did as the priestess told him and stored his belongings on the sled. Following the example of the priestess, Hamar also tied a knife to his belt and slung his heavy warhammer over his back in the harness he had made for it.

"I am as prepared as one can be for the unknown, Wise One." Hamar answered with a shrug. In truth, Hamar felt a lifetime would not enough to be prepared. He must simply act and trust his fate to the Ice Queen.

Hamar looked up and up at the bear of a man that was to guide them. Slave he may be but Hamar had no intention of trying to order this giant about. "Thank you, Ukko." Hamar took his hand and hoped to retrieve it intact from the no doubt crushing grip that was to come. "A man of your strength and skills is a comfort on such a journey."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"All we need now are the dogs. Ukko. Get the dogs for us if you will and we'll be on our way."

Ukko nodded his assent and walked off in the direction of a group of rough huts.

"Now then. I want to caution you about a few things. " She turned her attention to the young shaper.

"Ukko might be a slave, but he's no fool. He knows the Talons from trapping and mining there for many yahren. Feel free to ask him questions if you wish. His knowledge of the mountains and the northern lands is quite extensive. He's a good guide, and will not lead us astray. I mean to take us to the Vaal and beyond if need be. I want you to keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to speak up. Many a fool has met their death in the frozen claws of Gymir. This is no recreational excursion. There is real danger, and sharing something that seems strange might mean the difference between someone living and someone dying. Understood?"

"Once he has the dogs hooked up, we'll be ready to go. We'll set out to the east, and work our way north. Questions?"
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar simply nodded as Maha rattled off her instructions. He had already decided for himself to defer to Ukko in matters of survival. Hamar was far from an expert in such things. The instruction to report anything strange amused him. Nothing had been normal since he entered the temple yesterday. Still he voiced none of this and only nodded to show his understanding.

"I have only one question, Wise One." Hamar replied. "Why does the prospect of this journey excite you so?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Maha grinned widely.

"Spoken like one who has never been a priestess before. In my young days I was a warrior young Hamar. I journeyed on the backs of the great white bears across the Queen's land and I served our Kona as her guardian and shieldmaiden. I fought invaders with sword and spear and killed enemies across the great snow seas. My sisters and I were both mighty and terrible back then young Hamar. They are all dead now, the Kona too. I am the last living of my sisters..."

She trailed off for a moment, reliving past glories before snapping back to the present.

"But such ways cannot endure forever. I saw many things that froze my faith and fate young one, many things. I turned to a life of service as a priestess and since then there have been no wanderings over the great cracked ice. There have been no journeys on the backs of the mighty white bears. The Queen commanded service of a different sort for me over the yahren. It has been far too long since I was out there, up there. I am excited at the prospect of honoring those whom I treasure most in this world young one. My sisters spirits will be watching and I endeavor to remind them of the fierce and wild joy of days long ago."
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar tried to see the echo of the great warrior in the withered priestess before him and simply could not. Yet, he had no reason to doubt the story or to doubt that launching herself into danger once more was something she relished. Hamar would have to fear the journey alone it seemed.

"Then let us make our trip a tale worth the telling, Wise One." Hamar smiled. For all that she has done to help him, Hamar felt duty bound to make sure it was so.
Last edited by Hamar so`Bergliin on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Ukko brought the dog teams in and began to connect and hitch them to the sleds. It was a thorough, easy process for the large man and it took little more than half a mark before all was completed and they were ready to begin. Hamar was given a choice between riding on the sled led by Ukko, or the one being driven by the older but sturdy Maha.

Nothing was said about his choice either way, but soon after Hamar found himself gliding along over the ice and snow out of Rimmerhold and to the north.

The great mountains loomed in the distant horizon and the sleds proved to be efficient transportation as they moved quickly away from the settlements and towards the mighty mountains. The dogs skipped and ran eagerly as they were given their freedom to push as far and as fast as they wanted. Maha's smile was evident as they cruised along, creating fresh tracks in the snow.

Their first break came after what could be guessed at two marks. The dogs lounged in the snow, panting and happy, and Ukko brought a skin over to Hamar.

"Making good time." He remarked. Ukko seemed a rather simple and quiet man, and had yet to question why they were on such a trek. Maha busied herself with her own belongings and stayed relatively silent. She seemed a different creature out here in the frozen wild. She had a spring in her step and she seemed livelier and more hale than she ever did in the Temple. Her driving a dog sled was quite a sight to behold. She could scarcely hold onto the crossbar as it was high and she was short. But the tough old woman was beginning to prove how tough she could still be.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar chose to ride with Ukko. He thought it would be the best place to be to learn up close how to work such a sled and survive in the wild. Watching Maha in action though had Hamar wondering if he made the wrong choice. To handle the dogs as she did without the advantage of size and strength made her skill all the more evident.

Hamar was grateful for the break. His skin was blasted raw by the chill air whipping past him. His ego bid him not utter a word of discomfort and his jaw hurt for keeping it clenched. He accepted the skin with a nod of thanks. "How far do we have to go?" He asked as he brought the skin up to his mouth for a drink.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"I can have you at the Palace of the Ice Queen herself day after tomorrow if you so desire, but that's not what I was told you were wanting. The Priestess Maha explained that we were seeking something more elusive than a castle of ice, rock and crystal. I was told you were seeking ghosts..."

Ukko took a long drink and capped his skin. There was no fear or hesitation in his words, just simple acceptance. Ukko shrugged.

"Perhaps some of the dead prefer to remain silent and hidden." It was as close to a protest as Hamar would ever hear from the man's lips.

"Either way, I can get you there." He continued confidently.

Maha lounged against the great bundles tied to her sled, watching and listening. She looked at Hamar carefully, awaiting his reaction, but the hardy priestess remained silent, allowing him to find his own path, and to come up with his own questions if he chose to.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Once more, it fell to Hamar. Ukko could not tell him where to go only assure him that he could get them there. Maha had helped him to learn what he needed to seek, but she too could not point the way. The answer had to lie within him, somewhere. But where?

Hamar cast his mind back to his dream, to the man made of the crystal. That was the key. Just as he found the vaal and the ruud in the runes of the temple, Hamar was certain he would find his current road within the depths of the crystal man.

Hamar wrenched himself from his huddle before the wind and strode over to the priestess. "Maha? Can you send me back into my dream again? There is more to be found there I am sure of it."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"The dream you say? It can be done." The priestess seemed caught somewhat off guard for a few flickers before she turned her attention to the mountain man.

"Ukko. Let's prepare to stay here for the night. The dogs will benefit from the extra rest and what we are about to embark upon will make this young man feel as if no amount of sleep will be enough."

The large man nodded his understanding and began to unhitch the dogs. He didn't question or even seem overly concerned. In fact, it was hard to imagine anything upsetting him by now.

Maha prepared herself by gathering a few belongings and finding a place on the leeward side of a snowdrift to shield her from the wind. One of the dogs, a rather affectionate female, found her way over to Maha's side and lie down next to her for comfort and warmth. The priestess stroked the downy soft fur of the animal and waited for Hamar to prepare himself as well.

It was clear that she wanted him to sit, but her other actions seemed contradictory. Her attention on the dog, drinking from a waterskin, watching Ukko, all seemed to be her allowing herself to be distracted. It was only when Hamar sat in the indicated place, where she began to focus in and concentrate.

"Tell me when you are ready to begin."

Her tone was stern, but there was a furtive undertone of concern in her voice.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar layed down a thick blanket on the ice to the lee of the drift as well. He sat down cross-legged upon the mat. Though he had no idea what he was doing, Hamar felt a need for a ritual within the ritual, something that would calm him and focus him on the task at hand. Hamar fished a piece of crystal out of one of his pouchs and with it a polishing cloth. He began the deliberate repetitive pace of rubbing the cloth over the crystal. Hamar had done this so often that he easily fell into the rhythm and his mind was free to wander.

Hamar nodded to Maha that he was ready and began to focus his thoughts on the dream and the man of crystal.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The vision came slowly out here in the trackless, snowy wastes. There were many things to block the easy, familiar trance. The howling wind, the shuffling of the dogs, a fleck of snow that hit his face and melted away. But soon these things became dreamy and distant and the image of workbench back home entered his vision. Near it was the figure once more.

The giant figure loomed up before him, leaping up from seemingly nowhere from the flicker of the many crystal lanterns. It was tall and strong, this figure. Carved entirely from crystal. A warrior figure with a mighty beard and a huge axe twice his size clutched in one mammoth fist. The figure seemed frozen in place, but ready to break loose at a moment's notice.

Maha's voice drifted to him as if borne on the wind itself.

"Yes. Here is the figure once more."

Instead of the brief flash of it now, it stayed, and Hamar was aware that Maha was behind him, unseen, yet there.

"What is it you seek?" She asked.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

"In the temple, I looked deep into the carved crystal rune and I found my path and my destiny." Hamar answered simply. "I've labored to build this in my dreams for years. I think I've carved myself a map in this crystal like the Old Ones did in the temple."

So saying, Hamar cleared his mind and stared deep into the crystal facets of his creation seeking the revelation that his dream self knew he would need.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The figure burned with a ruddy glow from the many fires that surrounded it. It was a lofty thing, tall and strong and in the forefront of Hamar's mind.

If there was a revelation in the crystalline figure, it remained hidden and obscure in the sharp edges of the statue. There was no moment of clarity, no paradigm shift. Only the slight hiss of flames from the burning lanterns.

Then he felt it. Maha's mind on his, probing, searching until at last he found himself snapped away from the dream world and staring straight ahead at Ukko.

The large man had his spears ready, and seemed to be tense and ready for battle. Then they could be seen. Three figures approaching their camp. Maha called for action.

"Ready yourself young Hamar. There are those out here that care little for you or your gifts." A sharp knife was drawn to accent her words of warning.

The three figures continued to approach.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar had no time to dwell on his diappointment. "I was so sure..." He muttered to himself as he freed his warhammer from the sheath on his back. It was a simple weapon: a four foot long wooden handle capped by a great block of iron. It was better suited for men like Ukko who could take it in strong hands and swing it full strength into their enemies. Hamar instead gripped it more like a staff with one hand at the bottom and one near the head. This allowed him to block with the haft until he saw his opening to smash with the head.

Hamar had never been in a real battle before. Ukko beside him was a comforting presence. Surely the giant was a match for those that approched them. Hamar stood ready with his hammer and waited for the men to get closer.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The figures grew closer through the misty snow until at last details could be seen. These were no men, in fact, it was three women. They were clad in skins of white bear fur and carried spears. One had tufts of black hair peeking out from beyond the furry lining of her hood.

"A fine day for a hike!" One called out. The one with black hair remained silent as the other spoke as well.

"The Queen's blessing be upon you! You are welcome sight out here in the Jundland. We saw the sleds and hoped for some news of the settlements."

The three women settled in at a respectable distance away, standing ready and strong, but not quite intruding on their camp.

Maha looked to Ukko, who seemed a bit spooked, but otherwise handling himself with his customary silent grace. The priestess herself seemed a bit skeptical, but accepting to the point of allowing them a little closer. She spoke to the women in the same tone of cold command that Hamar was all too familiar with by now. Her sharp knife was still held at the ready.

"Show yourselves! Demons and devils can assume forms not their own, but there is always a tell, always something that gives them away!"

The woman exchanged glances of surprise, but they complied and their hoods were slowly pulled back to reveal the comely faces of three young women.

"I am Agga, this is Tanne, and over there is Kari the silent."

No mention of clan or family was made.

"We hunt the Jundland for the great bears and to scout for ice trolls. Will you share your news of the settlements with us?"
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar felt much as Ukko did, spooked but trying not to show it. There was something off with these three women. They spoke of Jundland and settlements as though Hamar should recognize the names. There refusal to name their clans also disturbed him. How could they be so open yet hide so much. Well, he would match them.

"I am Hamar." He greeted them simply. "I could tell you the news of Rimmerhold if you like. Perhaps in exchange for the news of the paths ahead." He offered.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Peace of the fallen snow be with you Hamar."

The one called Agga said in a greeting that seemed as if it should be familiar, yet was new to his ears. She continued.

"The paths ahead are quiet and true. There were Ice Trolls along the western borders of the Jundland, but the Wise One's warned us of their advance and we set our traps. Only the great bears travel this far out now. You will be safe all the way to the foot of Gymir's talons. Judging by the sleds you have, you will be in the mountains this time tomorrow."

It was all so matter of fact with Agga. Trolls, bears, endless tracks of snowy wastes. It seemed odd that there was so little to be troubled by out here. Maha narrowed her eyes in suspicion, and Ukko simply lowered his spear. As the young shaper had been the first to communicate anything of substance with the women, Maha stayed silent and allowed him to continue.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

"The blessings of the Ice Queen upon you and yours." Hamar replied to her greeting. He was curious how she would react to it. Something was wrong here. That Hamar was sure up. Still that did not mean they were a threat.

"Who are these Wise One's that you speak of?" Hamar asked. "I thought all with that title had come to Rimmerhold." Hamar looked to Maha to see what see thought of that.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Maha looked at the young man with an expression that was only readable if one knew her well. To outsiders and strangers, it was a flat look of stoic, unmoved bordedom. But to Hamar, who had spent a lot of time with the priestess over the last few days, it something else entirely. The priestess was oddly fascinated by these newcomers. The look that she gave them spoke silent measures about how hard she was trying not to appear interested in them. It was the same look she had given Hamar back at the Temple when he had revealed a measure of knowledge not seen in quite some time. They had her all right, but she would never ever give them the satisfaction of knowing.

The one called Agga chuckled slightly at Hamar's words. It was hard to gauge whether she found his greeting amusing, or his comment about the wise ones, but either way there something gently condescending lingering there from her.

"Wise Ones live and breathe across the ice and snow and even across the seas Hamar. Never fool yourself of thinking otherwise. If you wish to see them yourself, all you have to do is follow us. We will be more than happy to show you the way."

Ukko snorted. A reaction like that from the large, quiet man nearly bordered on an uncontrollable outburst. Maha looked at him and shook her head. Clearly they both thought it was some sort of trap.

"Is that your will Hamar? Do you wish to meet the Wise Ones?"
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

To Hamar the choice was pretty simple. He had come out onto the ice to seek a way and here was one provided for him. His Ruud would never be so easy. A path so freely offered either led to other's goals or was strewn with traps for the unwary.

Yet, Hamar was as intrigued as Maha. They may not be his mystery but they were a mystery and Hamar was coming to dislike the unknown more and more. "I have always been taught to seek wisdom wherever it might be found." Hamar replied clearly. "Take us to your Wise Ones then. I would seek their council."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Agga seemed to expect this answer and she glanced at the other two with a mixed expression of content and acceptance.

"Very well then, gather your things. We shall head out as soon as you are ready."

The three women stepped a few paces away, giving Hamar, Maha and Ukko a measure of privacy to talk while they waited.

Maha took the exchange well, and nodded her satisfaction of how the young shaper had handled.

"Good." She said in a low voice as to not be overheard. "You did well. You managed to tell enough of the truth to not be suspicious, and gave little of the true tale away. They seem to be comfortable conversing with you, so for now, I'm content to let you do the talking. I'm curious to see what these "Wise Ones" they mention will have to say. They're like no other tribe I've seen before. No markings, no distinction. It's like they are ghost people out here in the wastes. I'm sure the sisters back in the Temple will be curious to see and hear more."

She began to pack her things and ready herself for the journey. Ukko, who had never really unpacked anything, checked the dogs and their condition and gave Maha and Hamar a nod when all was right with the sleds.

Agga and the other two approached. I shall ride with you Hamar, to guide you. The others will ride with the priestess and follow." She looked ahead towards the mountains and nodded.

"Head that way. While we glide, you can tell me of the news of Rimmerhold, and the paths to the south."

OOC: Please join in here to continue! :D

https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=12274
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Closed, locked, skilled, archived.

:D

Return to “Trothgard Archive”