Trothgard Summary - Please post your recess write-ups here

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Trothgard Summary - Please post your recess write-ups here

Post by Vanadius »

The fires of War burned and raged in the cold, icy north.

There were whispers, gossip, innuendo and rumors that Skaali had gone insane, driven mad by the supernatural powers he touched. Soon these rumors proved true, as it was revealed that he was no mere descendant of the legendary and nefarious Skaalyr, but in fact, was Skaalyr himself. Skaalyr had gone mad many, many yahren ago, and disappeared into the lonely tundra, and had not been seen in more than a century.

In every corner of Trothgard, the name of Skaalyr was whispered in awe and fear. Nearly everywhere in the north, the same words were spoken…

“Skaalyr sought the Vaal and set himself upon the secret path…”

“The Ice Worms would writhe and blister when he approached…”

‘The Great Bears still bow and cower to him in his passing…’

“His ghost still haunts the Juund Wastes and the Talons of Gymir.”

Open battles raged on for months over the icy wastes of Trothgard. Skaali continued to lead his army of men against the women-led tribes of the Kona and the Queen. The battle for supremacy and control had been a costly one on both sides, and still there was no end in sight.

Skaali’s power was ferocious and fierce and he wielded it willfully against the women warriors of Rimmerhold. His last major victory was in the taking of the mining village of Grimkell. The mining village was of vast strategic importance and the man army took it quickly to secure the precious crystals that were excavated there. Without more crystal, the priestesses of the Queen were unable to create runes and weaves of any surpassing strength and quality, and Skaali had taken advantage of this and used this weakness against them. He had used the stones and crystals of Grimkell to erect a fortress of sorts in Grimkell. It was a mystical place that resisted the icy wind and wrath of the Kona and the Queen, and endangered the very power that they held sway with.

Desperate to end the dangerous threat of Skaali and his army, the Kona called a hidden and secret council to discuss a dark and forbidden topic that was unheard of in the eons that a Kona and her council had sat in power. Assassination. Skaali and his threat to bring them down was real enough that the Kona was grasping for any way to hold him off or neutralize the threat. Volunteers were asked for, and in the cold spring morning, a team would be dispatched in an attempt to find him and decapitate the head of Skaali’s serpent.

Deep within his crystal fortress, Skaalyr plotted his next move. It was going to be a bold, decisive gesture that once and for all, would end the Reign of Witches he so hated, and plunge snowy Trothgard into a new age.

The fires of War burned and raged in the cold, icy north.

~~~

Please post your recess write ups here for skilling and review. if you have any questions, please feel free to post them here as well. I tried to take a different path from some of the other summary threads you'll be reading, so if you need further clarification, please let me know.

I look forward to seeing the changes and new directions that you and your characters will be taking!

V.
Last edited by Vanadius on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hi!

Nice one. That I did not see coming at all!

So, just for clarification (as I do my write up...), What was/ is the goif and do we know the history of Skaalyr?

I assume that you will let us know if we overstep boundries in our write up. :)

H.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked out over the breaking dawn. The cold jerked meat she chewed had lost all flavor some time ago. The Ice Queen was a cruel mistress and every now and then when she thinks of the joke she played on her Hex grinds her teeth in bitter anger.

Skaali...Should have killed you a long time ago.

Ah yes, so long ago when I first came to Grimkell. Should have killed the whole town and just kept moving north. If I had done that Ashilda would still be here and things might be different but no, now I spend my time hunting and killing my own people.

Hex chewed and her thoughts drifted back.

So much has happened that some of it was a blur. The Queen had come and set us upon the Ruud with Lori and the gjof, as well as the shaper Hamar. The trip north was hell. Beasts and Trolls descending upon us and never mind the very land itself defying us, and then that fool reveals himself to be not what he is but something else, but she knew it. She wanted this...

"Will you bring them this time? Will you show them the Ruud that is to be traveled? Or will you falter and fail like you have done before?"

Words and images burned in her mind.

Hex was a little unsure exactly what happened next but she became split off form the rest of the party. By the time she had gotten further north and found the people of the Guardian the whole world seemed to have gone crazy. Hex though had something to deal with before she attended to rumors of chaos in the south.

Hex had walked a long road going further north than even she had know she could go. There she had learned much of the way of magic from the Shamans, she had learned more about herself. Her attention was turned back south, away from the wall. That task seemed to be one that would simmer like a stew in the back of the fire. Killing some madman raged directly before her now. Hex told the Shamans that she would be back and turned to the road south.

Hex had turned her anger that she had once expressed outwardly to the inside. Remorse was a thing of the past in Hex's life. Hex was becoming hard and cold like the land. Killing came with the execution of the thought and Hex spent no time thinking about what she did. Hard and cold is what she had become.

Hex had started back on the journey south when she had come across her first gang of Skaali's warriors. It was only through her constant drilling for combat that she had been able to survive. That and the fact that she was not the average woman. Hex was uncertain what had happened, she had heard the rumors but dismissed them as wind. Now she had a very different view of what was going on.

She had worked her way back from the north to the south, killing and hiding as she went, all the way to Rimmerhold. Her reception there was to be expected but not exactly what she had wanted.

Whispers on the wind had spread the word back to the settlements that she had been on the trail with Skaali, there were many questions, many accusations.

Hex sat through the questions and the interrogations with her temper in check. It was that, her temper kept in check that had impressed her the most about herself. She was impressed with what she had seen in the eyes of the women here. It seemed that the fire had come back into the people, the spark of the warrior, even the Konaseemed to be more the woman that Hex had wanted the woman to be.

Hex told her story of how she came to be the Warrior Priestess, how she had set out to the wall of death and how she had come to be in the company of Skaali. Hex had told her story and they had listened. What did they say? The words seemed to float away in the sea of blood that had followed in the battles Hex had been in. At the root of their words was that they were still unsure. Some had come down on Hex's side, others thought she was a spy. There was no way for it to be easy.

Hex did not stay in Rimmerhold for long, she had changed and she wanted to be back out in the land. She had become the wolf and she felt very alone. She hunted and scouted for the bands of Queen's warriors. Occasionally she went after the scouts of Men, all in all very bloody work.

The fall of Grimkell did not sit well with Hex. She had battled hard in that spot with many of her warrior sisters. The men had taken the town but not without loss of their own but for Hex it was not enough. A fire of hate burned in Hex that felt the same as the fiery pain when severe frostbite set in.

There was no question as to what side Hex was on, a younger Hex would have had a wreath of trophies around her neck, but not now. Hex simply left the bodies where they lay.

There was something happening her that Hex could not quite put her finger on. The Priestesses were still not able to wield their strongest power against the men without the help of the crystals. Indeed the crystals helped but the land was the true power...wasn't it?

Hex once again went off on her own hunting men. Hex's view of men was never the best, but now it was downright abysmal.

Once again the wind carried whispers to her ears and once again Hex had to stop and think about the path that she walked. She had a duty to her Queen. By the decree of her Queen the Kona was selected. Hex had spent almost a whole day just thinking about her next move. That day had just passed and a new one had begun.

Hex rose form her camp and started back south to Rimmerhold. She marched hard and within a week had made it back to the outskirts of the settlement. That night she caught a look at herself in some water. She almost did not recognize herself as the woman looking back at her. Her hair had turned darker in the winter months and her eyes stood out bright blue against her pale skin. Her hair almost matched some of the matted and dried blood on her wolf pelt and catching a sniff of herself she remembered that she had spent most of the last year without a bath and in her armor. She felt healthy though, and strong. She had grown both as a person and as a priestess.

Hex had realized her role was not to lead the people in settlements, but to aid the people through the will of the Queen and the direction of the Kona. Hex knew what she had become, she was the Queen's Warrior Priestess. She had become that which she had sought to be and to some, she had become the Witch. Was that not what those invading wizard priest men had called her? She grined for the first time in a while and licked her lips like some beast in anticipation of a hearty meal.

The wind had also carried news of Lori. Apparently she had become important to the inner circle in some way. Hex would seek her out this time before she left.

Hex walked into the temple. The young girls were there as always...
“Tell them Hex has come my dears, tell them I understand that they seek volunteers.”

~~~~~~~~~
Skills:
Manipulation of Energy: Faith ~ 3 *'s
Shielding [] ~ 2 *'s
Reconnaissance ~ 3 *'s to Apprentice
Resolve ~ 1 *
Dodge Blow ~ 1 *

~~~~~~~~~

More than willing to edit as needed :)
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Fantastic!

Two small edits to make. The war would carry her away from the wall and away from the palace of the Queen. The time for the wall and the palace of the Queen is still yet to come, so if you will rework those references just a bit, it will be perfect.

And, this is rather nitpicky of me, but its only because its an actual Nordic word that I think is really cool for Trothgard's lexicon. It's gjof, which translates as "the gift".
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

I'm re-reading and realizing that I didn't answer your questions, Hex, my apologies. :oops:

The Gjof, like many words can mean more than one thing. In the case of Lori, the gjof is a great tree of pure ice that she knows the location of. It is also referenced as the power that some wield, aka magic. My general use will always be referring to something supernatural so if you see it, you'll know there's something special happening with whatever references it.

I think knowing the history of Skaalyr (Skaali) is completely reasonable under the circumstances. After the events that lead up to the synch, I think this would be rather common knowledge.

Here's the basic rundown;

More than a century ago, a foundling (one who washes up on the shores of Trothgard) was brought to Rimmerhold and given as a slave to the clans. He was tested by the priestesses and found to have the gjof (:wink: ). Because he was a male child, his talent was suppressed and hidden by the priestesses which turned out to be their worst mistake. As he grew in both age and power he became something of a embarrassing reminder that the women's power could be threatened. When they finally took steps to neutralize his power and strip it from him, he rebuked them and disappeared into the Juund Wastes. For more than century, rumors have persisted about him and the tribal elders have always watched and waited for his eventual return. Until the events of the past few months, he was really more of a ghost story or an interesting anecdote told from clan to clan. Most never thought he was real in the first place, and that he was a merely the product of a good storyteller with an overactive imagination.

Now that he has proven himself to be very much alive and very real, his name is whispered with awe and fear (unless of course you happen to be in his camp). :wink:
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Post by Hamar so`Bergliin »

Hamar had left Rimmerhold hoping to find the secret knowledge that Skaalyr had learned or those that had taught him. Never in his wildest imaginings did Hamar expect to find the man himself. Hamar heard Skaalyr's tale of how the Old Ones tried to smother his gift and hide his power. Hamar realized that Maha brought him here not to let his powers grow but to draw out Skaalyr and eliminate two problems at once.

At that moment, Hamar turned his back on his former life and pledged himself to Skaalyr as his apprentice. Time for instruction was scant during the months of war that followed. Hamar largely had to learn by example. With each victory his respect for Skaalyr grew and Hamar became even more wedded to his cause. Hamar's skills as crystal shaper and runescriber has been put to use much in Grimkell. Here he awaits the next battle eager to aid how he can.

Stars:

One * to bring Native Craft [Trothgard Crystal] to Apprentice
Four *s to bring Runescribing [Trothgard Runes] to Basic ****
Four *s to bring Blunt/Crashing Weapons to Basic ****
One * to bring Manipulation of Energy: Faith to Basic *
Last edited by Hamar so`Bergliin on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Reiker hated the war. It reminded him of home. It reminded him of what it was like sitting in a place surrounded by blazing fire. Corpses piled about him. Battle-standards and spears stuck into those piles. The smell of burning flesh and bone corrupting one's nostrils.

Reiker left Aveas as part of a small company of mercenaries. They were reinforcements assigned to bolster the Oneist forces. He was originally intended for the defense of Aveas, but blatant insubordination earned him his glory as a front-liner. He was placed among doomed men. He welcomed it.

He spent his night among the other men for hire about the campfire. They told stories of home. These men were from all over the Western Kingdom. Men fighting for food. They were not like him. They were not the usual thugs. They were honest men earning copper for their families. Their blades set to be broken. They were the sacrifice. Reiker didn't like it.

The company experienced battles along the way. Blood, sweat, and shards of broken bone bursting forth from assaulted bodies was the norm experience. It was there that he first caught sight of elven bows, centaur spears, and the anger of woodland imps. He had grown to strongly dislike the elves, the centaurs, and the other strange things he had encountered with his blade. He had made good friends with many members of the company. He didn't like watching them pile up with stick jutting out from their throats. He enjoyed retaliation. He enjoyed slitting elven throats and impaling charging centaurs with his self-styled blade.

They had traveled for a month. Their numbers had dwindled. Only five men of that company actually knew how to fight, and the fought well. They were Reiker, Khaede, Merrick, Jerrick, and Kerrick. They were the only one's skilled enough to survive the betrayal. They fought Orcs and met their savagery with equal bloodlust.

Reiker bonded even more with his blade as he fought the traitors. He stood back to back with the others. The three brothers, Merrick, Kerrrick, and Jerrick, made short work of the Orcs with their buckler shields and short swords. Khaede pulverized with his heavy-gauntleted fists.

They escaped, scarred, but alive. They went back to Aveas, and no one even cared that they were the survivors of the betrayal. It was accepted by all. No one survived the Orcish raid upon the Oneists. Reiker took it as a lucky sign. He knew it to be the beginning of a new start. He was so engrossed in this useless war for so long, that it had pressed away the reasons why he walked.

He had plans for their friendship. The three brothers, Khaede, and he. He asked them to spread out all over the world, and some day, they will meet back Aveas to start a lucrative effort. The five planned to form a mercenary outfit run by mercenaries. Reiker would be the leader. He and the four others would be the first swords-for-hire the outfit will ever hire out.

He went their seperate ways with the dates unclear in their return. Reiker went on the boat. His blade covered in rags and heaved upon his shoulder. He chose to journey for a place known as Trothgard, merely because it was the only schedule convenient for him. He rode the ship as a hired man. His travel paid with his blade.

Trothgard is nearing. Reiker smiled. He wished something happened. He wanted to work.
Tactics+*
Last edited by Reiker on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
[url=http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=63002342]Knights Game[/url]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC:

Reiker! (Murdok was my second character)

So, wanna join me in some down to the bone, soaking-in-their-blood killing of my enemies?

Just asking because it was unclear who's side you wanted to be on.

:)

Hex
~
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Cool. Are you skilled at scribing and numbers? I want my kid to learn civil and merchant skills.

I was on the Kingdom side.
[url=http://world4.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=47124424]click me please[/url]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Reiker wrote:Cool. Are you skilled at scribing and numbers? I want my kid to learn civil and merchant skills.

I was on the Kingdom side.

As for scribing and numbers, ah no. Most of Trothgard is illiterate. I do well to have my character read.

As for sides, I ment in our civil war. Trothgard could give a rats ass about the rest of the planet. I killed off the priests of the One that landed her e and as far as I can tell Trothgard has not been to affected by the overall war.

H.
~
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

That's good. I hope to RP with you soon and in the long run too.
Langredoc
Civus

Post by Langredoc »

Goodbye Sabata,

For Langredoc the idea that he was still followed by the assassin hit him hard. He liked the tall guy called H'Saan at first side so he did not want him to become involved. Just like other people he liked. And after seemingly having made a mistake he decided to move on. So he just left at running speed. He wanted to go to a place where they had gras and normal horses where they had tree's and where the sun would not curse you and burn the flesh of your bones. He found the harbour quick enough, it was a place bristling with merchants and merchant ships. A place where he found himself at home. He just asked the harbour master which ships would leave soon to dangerous area's so the needed some armed men. Although this would probably not bring him back to Dort, it would bring him away from here. And for now that was good enough.

The harbour master had send towards a captain with a strange name Lizdan Avanja. Who turned out to be a woman, what was a bit... odd to the young warrior. A woman captain, he could not imagine that. Until he noticed that more members of the crew where woman, one even more taller and more muscular then him, and she smiled at him. What made him feel... even more burned that before. But this was the only ship that would sail out in a few marks. His uneasiness showed so much that the women laughed at him and the Captain herself with a huge grin asked what he was trying to achieve.

Langredoc grumbled something about the captain maybe needing a warrior on her next trip into dangerous waters. What made the crew laugh again, calling out that he would face a lot of danger where the would go until the captain cut them short. The captain said “ We could use a extra sword, but that he better stayed longer then the first harbour they would visit because Trothgard is out first stop. And they love well cooked Dortmen. Although your ball's probably freeze of there.”

So he joined up and it became a interesting trip. He had never known that he could lose with wrestling from a woman. Even though she was one head taller then him. And he also thought that she used it as a excuse to bounce him all over the deck of the ship. Enhancing the amusement of the crew. He fared much better when they would play with swords and daggers. Gambling was a different matter, he always lost, luckily he had not much to lose so that was that. Although he always repaid his debts in other ways. Sometimes it was scrubbing the deck, sometimes things that where more fun. Although with some he preferred the scrubbing.

So times where peaceful and interesting until the weather became cooler and they arrived in a harbour he had never seen. And against the advise he decided to take a look in the harbour. But nobody had actually told him why he should stay at the ship.
So with some money, because he got his wages. And some curses, some did not like it that he left. He decided that he would like to see some ice and snow for a while. So the warrior moved off, to the places where he would find enough smiles to stay a bit longer. Or a challenge to his code to crush.

Skills:

One Handed sword +***
Wrestling
Woo/Seduction +**
Last edited by Langredoc on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
[quote]I am the warrior of the raven, traveling from war to war feeding on the dead and the living alike. Until darkness fall's.[/quote]

Post by Guest »

Together they had travelled northwards for many days, Lori, Hex, Hamar and Skaali, following the Ruud they had been set upon. None of them truly knew what lay ahead. Times were hard, food scarce, and tempers fraught but they kept going, together. Lori gradually became more confident, less submissive. She was no longer afraid to voice her ideas, and while she would never be considered the leader of their small group, she was certainly a very active presence: creating pleasant meals from their meagre rations and rare hunting successes, telling stories and occasional jokes to try and raise her companions spirits and, most importantly, helping to guide them. She seemed to have an instinctive knowledge of which way they needed to go, as if she was driven from within…she wondered if perhaps this was the gjof that everyone spoke of so fervently.

Then one day in early Yulember, a great blizzard sprang up around them. Snow whirled and danced in front of Lori’s eyes and she lost sight of first Hex, and then Hamar and Skaali, blinded by the swirling, dazzling whiteness that surrounded her. Somehow, she found shelter and awaited the end of the snowstorm. She was quite alone, there was no sign of the others, all tracks had been covered by the falling snow. Lori thought that continuing north would be foolish…if she were to find the Wall, then she could not face what lay there by herself, so she decided instead to return to Rimmerhold, and report to Eirrin. She felt sure that Hex, at least, would want to return to the settlements in the future, she had been so certain of her ability to change the minds of those living there. Lori hoped they would meet again as she began the long journey south.

It was hard going for someone unused to living in the wild, and Lori was often cold and very hungry, going for days without sleep. But nevertheless she learnt many things: likely looking camping spots, the best way to keep a fire burning, and rudimentary hunting skills. It was by no means comfortable, but at least she was surviving.

When she was only a few days travel from Rimmerhold, she encountered a small group of clanswomen with a sledful of provisions and accompanied by some rather mangy looking dogs. Even from a distance, Lori could sense their fear. She approached them, and spoke gently to them, promising them she meant no harm. They made camp together that night, and Lori shared some of their food (for which she was immensely grateful) as the women told her their sad tale. They were refugees from Grimkell, who had fled with the coming of Skaali’s army of men. Tearfully they explained what had been going on while Lori had been away. She felt like she had been kicked very hard in the stomach.

I was with him. All that time and……we never knew. What was his plan? Lead us to the wall and then kill us, or use us to set free that…that evil for his own purposes.?? The young girl shuddered in anger and revulsion. He had to be stopped. Hex had been right, the settlements needed change…but not like this, not with war, and death, and hatred. She thanked the women for their hospitality, and promised to help make things right however she could.

Her path had changed. Yes, she still needed to get to Rimmerhold, but first she had another destination in mind. The Gjof. She now saw how the Ice Queen had stepped in, and quite probably saved her life through that blizzard that had separated Lori and Skaalyr, surely it must have been her work. She wanted to go back to that great tree, the site of her meeting with the Queen to give thanks and to see if she could find some answers. A fire of anger at the thought of Skaali's cunning and duplicity burned within her, and she travelled fast, reaching the foot of the tree in only a day. The tunnel had been closed, and she could find no sign of the crystal spiders that had given her entrance before. Frustrated, she made camp near the tree, and prayed to the Ice Queen, thanking her for the blizzard, and asking what she should do. Day after day she stayed there, meditating, praying and offering thanks. She did not find entrance to the tomblike place again, did not see the strange runes and carvings, but nevertheless, she was changing. The tree of ice had become for her what the green valley of the hippogryphs was for so many others wanting to change their lives, and make their rite of passage. Lori made offerings to the Queen: pelts from rabbits she had caught and clumsily skinned, and sticks whittled into crude shapes with her dagger, and while they never turned to ice before her eyes, as she had heard they were supposed to, she felt somehow different inside, ready to make a difference, to fight for her clan, and her people. One morning she woke up with a plan, fully formed in her head. To her, this meant just as much as a feather from a hippogryph. She felt that her offerings had been acknowledged, and she was ready to go back to the settlements and make her voice heard. Skaalyr would expect the women to use their strength as warriors against him...he might not be expecting to be matched with cunning. Someone needed to get inside his camp, convince him of their loyalty, and secretly report back to the Kona's warriors with his movements and plans. She would volunteer to do this. It would be dangerous, and might cost her her life, but she could use her position as a slave to her advantage, to persuade Skaali that she was unsatisfied and frustrated with the ways of the clanswomen, and wanted to be part of something new, where her voice could be heard and she could be an equal. And besides...she smiled as Eirrins words from long ago floated back to her, if it went wrong then she was "expendable" after all.

The Lori Margeir that walked back into Rimmerhold was a very different girl from the one who had left over half a year ago. She was thinner, sharper and bolder, with a fire that burned behind her dark eyes. She had an idea, and it needed to be heard. Not by Eirrin, but by the Kona herself. She marched up to the council tent and faced the stocky looking guard. “I need to speak to the Kona. It’s urgent…”

Skills:

Survival (Trothgard): 3*
Resolve: 4* (to apprentice)
Cooking 1*
Storytelling 1*
Logical Analysis 1*

OOC: Let me know if edits are necessary :)
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

All sheets have been updated with news skills with the exception of the following.

Reiker: Survival Battlefield would imply learning how to live, sleep and eat on a battlefield, and not enhance any combat skills. Would you still like the new skill, or would you like to use those 5 stars elsewhere?

Lori: Raising your resolve to apprentice only took 3 stars. Where would you like your extra * to go?

Great summary posts all! =D>

I have posted 2 new Chyril threads to begin play. If you are starting in a new location other than in one of the two camps, please feel free to begin a new thread and I will jump in. From this point on, all of Trothgard should be in Chyril and at or past the super-synch!

Now let's go have some fun!

V.

Post by Guest »

Ooh....in that case can I boost Survival (Trothgard) up to apprentice too please?

Looking forward to Chyril madness :)
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

I'd like to blow them all on single combat resisting multiple opponents.

Thank you very much.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Lori: Done!

Reiker: I can increase your resisting multiple opponents to Apprentice +4, which I have done, but that still leaves you with 1 to go.

V.
Reiker
Defender of the Keep

Post by Reiker »

Then put it on tactics please. Thank you.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Done! :D

Return to “Trothgard Archive”