Troth-Wandering-Chyril 22nd GT

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Troth-Wandering-Chyril 22nd GT

Post by Guest »

Edmond's mind rushed with disturbing thoughts as he wandered through the bleak night. He had been awakened by a horrifying scream of sorts, and he had gone to investigate. His small home a hole in the side of a hill, just large enough to sleep and stand in. And as he stepped out, his breath crystallized as it entered the cold night, and his beads of sweat froze on his skin.

He was in such a fit of trembling that he couldn't stay calm, his breath shaky and harsh, his hands trembling as they wrapped his fur cloak around him more tightly. Why is my body doing this? He questioned himself, as he continued his shambling walk. I have not been so frightened since my days in Sabata. And that upset him deeply, for nothing should frighten him so.

He had been avoiding the two sides, truly not having any reason to side with either. His goal was to protect those who needed protecting, and that meant playing on both sides of the fence. What did I once read? He pondered, I sit on both sides of the fence, my grass is always green. Looking around at the cold, white landscape that closed in on him on all sides, he smiled, a cold, cynical smile. How fitting this be the place I am to live until the end of my days on this earth.

He had not noticed in his self-absorbed thought, that he had come across a small clearing, a valley imprinted like a stamp on the north land. And in the middle was something quite peculiar, drawing his sword, more to calm his nerved then to protect himself, Edmond proceeded.

(((OOC: I hope that is alright, still a little unsure of what exctly I'm aloud to post, and what I am not. Anyways, I'll edit it if anything is wrong.)))
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: My apologies for the wait! Normally, we would Thank you for your patience and now let's get started! :)

IC: Tracks in the snow led off in various and random directions. The moon shone down from a starless sky and the coppery smell of blood was in the air.

In the clearing, near one of the edges of the treeline, lie something in the trampled snow. As Edmond neared, he could make the clear, distinct shape of five fingers frozen in an almost claw like gesture. The fist closed. Whoever it was, was still alive. A nightbird called out in the distance. Footsteps crunching over the frozen snow could suddenly be heard.

From the sound of them, the steps were all around him. A hissing noise sounded in the darkness, followed by the immediate thump of something striking one of the trees. Someone grunted in pain and fell from high above, landing several paces away from Edmond. It was a body impaled by a spear, and its impact was hard and threw bits of snow and soil into the air.

Distant silhouettes could be seen in the trees. Bits of violet lights, like will-o-the wisps danced and flittered about. Figures moving. Shambling mounds of furs swayed as they neared. One crouched low.

They waited, suddenly silent...

Post by Guest »

Edmond jumped back slightly when he saw the man fall from the tree just ten feet from him. It was not until they were all around, did Edmond see the men within the trees. "Bad bad bad." Edmond repeated to himself in hushed, hurried voices.

Gripping the hilt of his sword, he slowly scanned the tree line, hoping to find the band to be a small one. With the amount of tracks, he doubted that would find truth.

They've stopped. Edmond noted their sudden stillness. They weren't expecting me. That much I can tell. This did not comfort Edmond at all, as this only showed they weren't stupid, they would study him. Find out the easiest way to kill him. Most likely the same way that poor sap died. Noting the man on the ground, his eyes glazed over in the never ending sleep.

Smiling meakly, Edmond pointed his sword to the ground, he would try and run if they attacked, hoping they wouldn't.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Perhaps it was the silvery, slippery light of the moon or perhaps it was the twinkling sparks of violet that danced among the shadowy figures, but it soon became apparent that the bodies in the clearing were that of women and not of men.

The Tiger Eye crystal in the women's hair reflected the violet light and the rough, bearded faces of the men in the trees came forward a bit. They numbered at least a score, possibly more. Several were already moving off towards the settlement of Rimmerhold.

One of the men raised a short, thick spear, aiming right at Edmond's chest. A short whistle and a bark of noise rang through the clearing and the man's arm lowered.

The crouching figure stood and walked forward. He was wearing a crystal around his neck that was the source of the violet light. It cast his face in a strange, eerie glow.

He was a bearded man, rough and lean and covered in furs and skins to ward against the still chill air of early spring. His only weapon was a thick knife, that was still sheathed at his waist. When he spoke, it was compact and swift, like speaking was difficult.

"I am Hrut of Freehold. I do not know you, but you are free of your shackles from this day forward. Whichever of the Witches you were beholden to, her day is at an end."

Post by Guest »

These men are Skaali's. Edmond told himself, easing his grip on his blade ever so slightly, realising, that as long as he didn't do anything that could be misconstrude as allegiance with the Kona and Queen. Luckily he held no such allegiance. He was a loner, keeping out of the business of the Kona.

"Matriarchies never suited me." He commented, hoping to catch the man in his bluff, to save himself a very painful death. "Edmond Ransley, of Trothgard." He added in reply to Hrut, nodding his head lightly in a cuteous bow. "I wander, and it looks as if I will need to move on to another place, Rimmerhold looks as if it's going to be in for some trouble." He mused, his bluff gaining strength. "You plan on attacking the town? That's requires quite a lot of bravery and command."

Edmond was feeling at ease enough to sheath his blade, and relax where he stood, looking at the score of men behind Hrut. "I hope you've planned your attack well." Edmond mentioned, enticing Hrut into a conversation that might prove beneficial to himself.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The man called Hrut gave Edmond a flat, disapproving look.

"You are no man of Trothgard Edmond of the Ransley. I have lived all my days here and have never heard of any tribe called the Ransley. You are an outworldler and a slave to the southern kings and fools."

The other men nodded along, in obvious agreement. Hrut continued.

"But no matter. Soon the King of the North will be crowned with a crown of crystal and a hall of ice, and the Witches of the North will ended and in ashes."

Hrut and the others ignored Edmond's comments and questions about their numbers or their methods. Either they were too smart to answer such sensitive questions, or too stupid and self righteous to listen and respond.

Post by Guest »

"Yes, I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I am Edmond Ransley, of Sabata." Edmond replied to Hrut, "But I have fled those lands to seek refuge here." Edmond continued, pausing for a long moment, thinking hard. "I am not welcome among those lands."

Glancing at the diminishing group of men around him, Edmond couldn't help but wonder what to do. He was not allied with the Kona or Skaali, and he had tried as much as possible in the past few months to stay out of the conflict. Now that seemed impossible.

Turning back to face Hrut, he gave a quick, shrill bow, something he had seen done by the men of the north as a sign of respect. "My apologies if that was not correct." He muttered, his mind racing, he had to ally with Hrut to get out of this situation, but he wouldn't attack the people he wanted to protect.

I shall have to play on both fields, and make the best out of it. He said to himself in reassurance. Sometimes, you needed to do regrettable actions to realise your dream.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"Saa...baaa...taaa..."

Hrut tried to sound out the name of Edmond's homeland but the name sounded odd and tuneless to his ears. He shifted his weight on his feet as the other man bowed before him, his discomfort evident by this outworlder's customs.

"Bowing is for slaves and lackeys Edmond of the Ransley. When we are finished this night, you will never have to bow again."

One of the other warriors raised his spear sharply, like a salute of some sort. Hrut gave a short, quick nod in return and several of the men began to loot the bodies of the women for anything of value. In other lands, taking from the dead was considered unclean, uncouth and immoral. In the icy north, it was simple survival. The dead did not need their possessions any longer, so it was accepted that others could possess their things from that point on.

The bodies were quickly searched and stripped. One could scarcely keep track of the various items from how fast they were dispersed within the warriors. A spear, an axe. A pair of bone dice, a feather. All were handed about and acquired by the soldiers with a cold, ruthless efficiency.

"We are headed for Rimmerhold Edmond of the Ransley. Will you be joining us, or will you be staying here to await your fate?"

Post by Guest »

Edmond cringed at the mention of slaves, "You have no idea how true that rings, Hrut of Freehold." He whispered harshly as he glanced at the lights of Rimmerhold in the distance. Turning to Hrut, he examined the man.

Perhaps he is right. He told himself, Perhaps he is right, in joining Skaali. Edmond loosened his sword, I will go with them for now.

"I follow your lead, Hrut."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Feel free to join in on the "Hand of the Embol" thread from this point on. Assume safe passage to Rimmerhold, but beware, that thread is impassible, which means you cannot join another thread at a future time until that thread has been resolved or marked as passible at some point. This is because its there is a legitimate danger to your character's life and well being due to the nature of the conflict within the thread. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about this.

Hrut will separate from the main group as they near the town, but joining Hamar's men will be easy enough.

Good luck!
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Locked, skilled, archived.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”