Troth- Mother and cub (Hex Closed)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Troth- Mother and cub (Hex Closed)

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex huddled back into the small cave that she had found in the rocky out crop of rock. It was deep enough to fit a good sized tent into, but she did not have one. In fact, she had very little of anything. Her food rations were very low and she had been pushing herself hard to make it over the mountains. She had had encounters with Ice Trolls and a few skirmishes with men from the mines. It was the food of those men that she was living off of now.

Hex looked hard into the cold night. A few small bits of coal burned in a fire to take the edge of the wind chill. She had grown tired over the last stretch and her eyes grew heavy.

Hex twitched in her sleep and awoke. She held still and cracked open her eyes. She could smell the scent of the other in the small cave. She had had a visitor in the night and it had stolen her food. Hex stood and quickly, but carefully moved to see the tracks of her little thief.

The thief was small indeed, a wolf cub.

Hex smiled, she admired the audacity of the little thief but she wondered why it was alone, it must have others nearby. Others meant food, food for her.

Hex stepped out to start tracking the little thief.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

The cub's tracks led out and away. The direction was useless, for wolves followed no paths that led in a direction so easily defined. They meandered and wandered in incoherent circles.

And the cub was not alone. Behind a lonely sentinel tree another pair joined her little thief's. Together the two pairs of tracks went over a hill, one slightly lighter and smaller than the other.

A boulder jutted out from the snow and was the source of much amusement for the cubs. Signs of their play were on it as well as all around it. A tattered piece of cloth could also be found. Remnants of perhaps another meal.

Eyes like gold coins watched her approach. The mother would not allow harm to her children.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex crouched and took note of the little paw prints the thief had left. Mirth danced in her eyes as she thought of the small creature ripping into her food and making off with its loot.

Hex did not know why the thought of this made her smile, but it did and with so much murder on her hands of late, anything that made her smile was a good thing. Being hungry on the other hand was not.

Tracks made their way over the hill and Hex moved with them on a parallel course, trying to stay downwind. The cub would not bee alone and Hex needed a good meal more than ever now.

Her senses were sharp as the hunter, the land of ice and snow was her home. With her pole arm at the ready she moved over the cold barren outcroppings of rock with barely a whisper, the heat of her breath giving her away in the cool breeze.

She moved to see who had let the little thief wander.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The wolf mother made herself known within a few steps from that point. She was a magnificent animal, her eyes shimmered gold and cold as she watched Hex approach. Her muzzle was black, and a swath of that color also wound its way back behind one of her eyes and ears. She was a stone gray mottled color and her paws were as large as man's hands.

She sat on her haunches, and when Hex reached a certain distance, she stood as the hackles on her neck rose fiercely. Her cubs, sensing that mother was displeased, ran to her shadow and stared out from behind her back legs at the stranger in their midst.

The mother growled. It was a low, throaty rumble that instantly conveyed her displeasure about the situation. She bared her teeth, and her fangs and mouth glistened with angry slaver. Clearly and unmistakably, she was not happy and prepared to solve that problem.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex heard the growl and knew that her game was up. Mother was indeed a magnificent animal. An animal worthy of respect in this harsh time.

But times were harsh and Hex was hungry. The little thief had made of with some of her stores of dried meat and Hex was in no mood to go hungry herself.

Hex lowered her spear into a offencive position with the tip down low. She wanted to be ready in case the mother wolf sprung at her. Hex spoke to the wolf as she began to circle. She was the dominate one here, even if it was the wolf that was born to the wild.

Hard yellow globes stared down the witch. Hex had used no magic, relying on her skills as a warrior and as a hunter. She had come face to face with her prey.

"Hello pretty. You never should have let the little one wander so far from home. I am afraid that you and me are going to have to do a little dance now. I'll make it quick girl, I promise."

Hex started to make her circle smaller and quicker.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The instant Hex took a step towards her the mother sprang...

...only in the opposite direction away from Hex. The mother whined. A pained, fearful sound that had her cubs yelping in fear and frozen in their tracks. They had never heard their mother utter such a sound, and they stared at her wide eyed. The cubs began to whine as well, and the mother nudged them away from the intruder. Clearly she wanted no part of a fight, and was retreating and taking her cubs with her.

Something had them wary and spooked. Was it Hex herself?

... or some other unseen force...?
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex stopped her circle and took in all of her surroundings. Sniffing the air Hex made a face as if she had just eaten something sour. I don't smell that bad do I?

Hex could not see what had caused the wolf to back up...jump back.

Hex checked her shoulder again.

Her adrenalin was going nuts she began to circle again, wary of a trickster.

Is she wounded? Old?...

As the wolf moved off Hex moved with her, keeping distance.

Does she see and understand the pelt across my shoulders? Mother, you are a strange one.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

A flash of darkness crossed her eyes, a shadow of something moving fast and silent overhead.

The Mother jumped again, more spooked now than ever before. One of the cubs yelped in fear and the trio took off running at a fast pace into the safety of the rocks and trees.

Whatever it was lost to her eyes, her vantage blocked by trees and the mountain. It was gone too fast to see.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was not unfamiliar with the species of animals that inhabited the land with her people, and there was nothing that flew, that cast a shadow like that and scared and battle hardened wolf mother. Let alone cause her to run.

Good idea mother... Hex took off after the trio.

Darkness has descended upon us all Mother. Perhaps there is a new hunter released upon us this night...

Hex carried on the conversation in her mind as she kept one eye on the wolves and the other on the sky. being jumped by the wolf would be unpleasant, being jumped by the unknown was simply unwanted.

The wolf was spooked bad and Hex was glad of the cubs that slowed her escape. She could hear their yelps as the mother would snap them up by their gruff and run them along.

maybe nobody told you Mother, I am the hunter in these mountains and I will not become the hunted...

It did not really matter where the wolf went, Hex had nowhere to go, at least not yet.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The trio made their way down a steep bluff and out of Hex's immediate vision. A glance cast at the sky revealed little but fluffy white clouds and endless blue beyond.

Then the vicious snarl and snap of the mother protecting her young could be heard. A roar and a bark, and then then silence.

She didn't have to look far to spy the outcome. The cubs stood vacantly sniffing the remains of the mother. Something... had torn her apart, her blood scattered over an area of at least fifty paces was a sharp red on the trackless white. Her carcass had been disemboweled and torn asunder, her head was gone...

The two pups sniffed helplessly. Lost and alone...
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex had no idea what had attacked the mother wolf...and she did not like it. Mabey it was a Gryphon, maybe not. Either way she needed to move and get away from here...fast.

She moved in tossing the cubs off the corpse. They had no taste for their mothers flesh but she did. Quickly she stripped the skin from flesh and bone and slung what was left of the wolf over her shoulder. It was then that she became aware of the yelps, whimpers and little growls that surrounded her.

Cold hard eyes looked down upon the two pups.

Some would say instinctively others would say that it was more kindred, either way Hex stepped down and scooped up the two cubs and quickly made off with them.

Hex did not stop for several hours. She was unnerved by the sight she had seen and was uncomfortable being in the open. She had taken a route that lead back up the hillside and deeper into the tree line. Eventually she found a nook that would suit her needs.

Hex dropped her two little passengers in the snow and watched as they snarled and yipped about. In a way, at this age they were no different then the pack dogs she used on her sled.

Hex set up the camp and got the food cooking. After she had decided she was in the right area she had set a few small snares for some of Trothgards native hare. With their mother cooking over the fire Hex tossed what little remained of her dried goods to the pair.

"Why did I snatch you two up?"

Hex laughed.

"I think I shall call you Tjuv and Möda."

Hex shook her head and went back to looking into the night listening to the sounds of the two cubs fighting over scraps and the pop of the wood from the fire.

Hex kept the fire low and a watch to the sky.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Whatever it was did not show itself again throughout the night and the morning dawned cold with metal colored, sullen skies.

Tjuv and Möda awoke as Hex stirred herself. They mewled for their lost mother, and sniffed around looking for her. With the remnants of last night's meal in their bellies, they did not seem hungry yet, but with all young and growing things, they would soon be needing fed again.

The cubs seemed somewhat lost without her. With a somewhat single minded purpose, they loped through the snow and rock searching, never yet realizing how futile and vain their search would be.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: I wrote a good chunk here to move it along a bit.

IC:

Hex watched the cubs as they set about searching for their lost mother. While they pawed at the snow and rocks Hex set about cutting up their mother and smoking her meat. Hex needed to eat after all and feeding the young ones their mother, well even Hex had limits.

For Hex it was almost a relief to have something other than the war to focus her thoughts on. The wolves were going to be hungry though. Tradetide would be upon her in a few burns, the mother was set to smoke in a quick makeshift lean-to so Hex decided to set off and check her traps, taking the young ones with her.

Hex guided the young cubs with the shaft of her pole arm and her feet, occasionally picking them up and tossing them back on the right path. What was a fifteen minute walk seemed to take forever. As Hex approached the small trap line she had set she made the cubs stop and go to ground. They were young and did not want to take the orders. After a while Hex was satisfied with her progress and they moved up to the first line to find it sprung but empty.

Off they went to the second where Hex again started to make the wolf cubs do things. The pack dogs were not far off from the wolves so Hex had had some dealing with puppy behavior.

The second snare contained a good size hare and the wolves must have been hungry for they took off for it with hex chasing. The snow was deeper than their little legs and Hex was able to catch up to them before they got to the dead animal.

Hex kept them off and was able to secure the hare to her belt. In total the day revealed three hares. Hex was sure that a true hunter would have done better but she was satisfied. She set the snares again as she decided to stay in the area one more day.

Hex took her time, the wolves could wait. Back at the camp she first made sure that she had not had any unwanted visitors and then she turned her attention back to the cubs. Slowly but surly she was stating to make them do the simplest of commands. Being hungry and getting small bites of food helped. She wanted to work on the fundamentals first. Stay, come, sit, down.

Each command followed was rewarded by a bit of food. This was Hex's life for the next few days as she established that she was the one in charge. Knowing that her hunting skills would need to be improved upon she dried out a couple of days worth of rabbit for the cubs, just in case.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The cubs responded as well as could be expected to her methods and training. Food and hunger were a language they understood, and they modified their behavior to suit their growing need for more.

There were times when they obviously missed their mother. Both would look to the horizon and sniff the wind, still waiting for mother to come back to them. At times, sometimes together, sometimes independently, where they would lay their head on the snow and whine and whimper. Hex was a provider, but a mother was something else. Still they seemed to take to her methods, and followed her.

The traps always had something. Many were simply sprung by fallen snow, a wayward pine cone, or a dead branch. There was enough food to survive on, and enough snow left to melt and drink. They could go on this way until their deaths if need be. But survival is merely continuing to exist, not really living.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: Hey V. I thought that this training time could be before my return to town and my meeting with the present group. I figured that the cubs could be shadowing the group. Maybe that way we could incorporate them into the current thread at some point. Just ideas.

IC:

Hex had time to spare so she took a few extra days to gather her supplies and practise both with the cubs and with her magic. She would summon small storms of snow and then clear them up. She would make ice and then weave it, control it. Her god was the deity of ice and snow and the weather. She too had to learn how to control these elements if she was to truly become all she could be.

As tides and days turned the pups became both more trained and more restless, Hex decided it was time to move on.

Following a small herd of deer Hex continued with the training of her small beasts of burden. She worked diligently on the basics and then gradually started to work on the more complex tasks of fetch, attack, hold, guard. along with stay, come, sit, and down, Hex felt that this would be an excellent grouping of skills for the animals.

Food may not be the best teacher but it was a good one.

Hex, starting to learn from her mistakes with the snares. Soon, once she felt that she had enough supplies, she started to allow the cubs to 'attack' the caught rabbits. From there she built on her training one step at a time. She had seen the kennel masters training the dogs and tried to remember all that they had done. It was not the same though, these were wild beasts that had to be trained.

Hex was a loner but she could see the advantage of keeping the wolves with her. They had better hearing and acute smell. They were able to sense things that she could not and give warning. Once she was confident that they would not run off in the hight, she started to have better sleeps than she had in a long time. She also saw the eventual benefit of having the wolves be able to fight with her, her own little squad.

She worked diligently on the cubs. The hard life of the wild kept her skills sharp and her body lean and in shape. She had room to practise her magic. All that she did not have was other human company and a home to go back to.
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Going to wrap this and skill it. Let's say that it takes place after the "Hand of the Kona" Thread, and before the next event that is going to take place. :wink: Great job!
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: Sweet. :D :wink:
~
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Skilled and locked. Leaving up before archiving to fit this in the right place.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”