Rimehold, Temple of the Ice Queen: Ashilda (Samheen 14th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Rimehold, Temple of the Ice Queen: Ashilda (Samheen 14th)

Post by Guenhwyfar »

This deceptively simple structure gleams and twinkles in the harsh light of Trothgard. A rounded dome, approximately 3 stories at its highest point, with a tunnel annex off the front, and a tall spire curling up from the back, its simple design is a testament to the simple people who created it. What makes it remarkable is the building material used. It apears to be a giant, artistic igloo of ice. Appearances are decieving. It is made entirely of Trothgard crystal.

Upon passing through the see through crystal door entrance, you find the tunnel to be about 10 feet high, and 8 feet across. The floor of the temple is covered with a woven rug in colors of blue, silver and pale purple, and a border of rampaging hippogryphs. The rug allows for traction on what is otherwise a smooth surface. Several people stand around talking quietly amongst themselves. At the end of the annex, another doorway, this one with two large double doors, etched with the Trothgard axe symbol, and tinted in a pale blue.

Once you pass through these doors, the true wonder of of the temple is revealed. The walls of the temple are covered with woven tapestries of the highest artistry, depicting the Ice Queen in her three guises, accomplishing the tasks she is known for amongst the Trothgard people: Creating the Hippogryphs & their valley, Gifting her people with the mines and their riches, Providing a home for her people, calling them to war, and blessing their raids. In between each tapestry, a deep alcove is carved into the wall, where Her worshippers leave her offerings, or small prayers carved into bits of stone, ice or crystal. Wood is too precious a commodity, even for prayer runes. At the top of those tapestries, approximately 12 feet up, a ring of runes surrounds the temple. Above this etched ring, a beautiful pattern of blocks, stripes and scrollwork is interwoven for another 8 feet or so, slowly curving overhead. A second, more intense ring of carved runes tops this. The very center of the roof of the crystal dome, was shaves to a very thin layer of crystal and then lightly tinted into a circular runic pattern, the colors of blue, lavender, pink and pale yellow coming down to reflect off the crystal walls and floor of the temple. This large skylight makes any further illumination inside the temple rarely, if ever, necessary.

The floor of the temple is organized for large audiences or gatherings of some sort. An outer ring of beautifully carved wooden benches surrounds the temple, traditionally kept for the older and ill members of the tribe. Inside that ring of benches, several rows of crystal steps descend down to the center of the temple. The backs of those steps angle backwards, and indeed, you can see several women sitting there, having brought their own cushions and furs, the angle allowing them to recline comfortably. Directly in front of you, a wide column of normal steps moves down into the center of the temple as well.

At the center of the temple, a slightly raised dais, about 10 feet in diameter stands. A simple wooden seat is there, covered with a fur throw of a delicate silver color. It is there that the Kona sits to conduct the rituals of the Ice Queen and her worshippers.

As you look around in appreciation of the simple beauty surrounding you, a young girl, not yet an adult, as indicated by her featherless braids, approaches you.

"Greetings. What might you seek from the Ice Queen this day?"
Last edited by Guenhwyfar on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

Timestamp: Samheen 14th, Morningtide

Ashilda da'Svafa paused for a moment to look upon the Ice Queen's temple as it glistened in the early morning light. The sun's rays made the beautiful building even more dramatic, striking beams of light from the crystal face. Truly, a fitting place to worship the goddess.

Sighing, she pulled her cloak closer around her and entered the temple. She hadn't felt this nervous about entering the temple since she was a tiny little toddling thing, overawed by the brightness and grandure. Yet now it was not so much the temple that caused her nervousness but the reason for this visit. Ash stood at the cusp of adulthood, almost ready to make her Rite of Passage in Valdimar - the sacred valley where the hippogryphs dwelt. A shiver went through her that had nothing to do with the cold - that she was used to. This, however, was an unknown quantity. For the first time she would be outside the comforting surrounds of Rimehold without the company of friends and family.

She gazed with new appreciation at the hippogryphs woven into the carpet's border as she made her way through the enterance hall. How big was a fully-grown hippogryph? She had asked some former playmates who had already made their Rite, and been told enthusiastic stories about the great size of the creatures. She was unsure how much truth lay in the stories, and how much was meant to tease her. Well, I won't allow them to frighten me, she thought stubbornly. Everything hinged on her passing the Rite. Without it, her passage into adulthood would be incomplete and the elders of her family would not teach her the runes.

As she passed into the main hall of the temple, she realised that her thoughts were not really appropriate to a place of worship and carefully school her mind and expression into neutrality. She gave a warm smile at the girl whose job was to welcome worshippers to the temple, then drifted off to a secluded spot where she could spread her cloak on the step and sit comfortably. It always felt warmer inside the temple, so she didn't mind taking the cloak from her shoulders - it was preferable to sitting on the cold crystal directly.

Leaning back against the step behind her, Ash gazed up at the coloured ceiling of the dome. In her hands, she held the cloak pin that she had removed to undo the cloak. It had been given to her just that morning by her sister Tamara. Ash smiled fondly as her fingers traced the pewter hippogryph. The two sisters had grown apart in recent years, with Tamara already a woman and concerned with adult things, and Ash still considered a child by the clan. So it was pleasant to find that her sister still thought enough about her to create this beautiful piece to mark her Rite of Passage.

Her fingers continued to idly trace the pattern of the pin as her eyes slipped half-shut. Words formed in her mind: Watch over me, my Queen. This is the most important moment in my life, and I cannot afford to fail.
Last edited by Ashilda da'Svafa on Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

Ashilda couldn't be sure how long she had been there, basking in the cool, icy glow filtering through the tinted crystal, the omnipresent sound of the Trothgard wind silent for a while in the Ice Queen's haven, when a soft voice spoke from beside her.

"Little cousin," said the kindly face of Ingvildr da'Svafa, one of the senior priestesses of the temple. She was was small for a woman of Trothgard, and so old that her skin and hair and eyes seemed to have merged into the same pale shades of white, but there was something about her that made her seem as luminous as the ice despite her advanced age. She was in Ashilda's clan, so the younger woman had seen her periodically, but she had always spent most of her time in the temple, increasingly so as the pain in her joints made leaving the temple difficult, so it had been some time since the two had seen each other.

"Look at you! You are nearly a woman grown," she said in a voice that was suprisingly resonant for her small frame and age. "I do not think I have seen you look so adult ever... or so anxious. What troubles you, Ashilda?"
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ash startled ever so slightly as the voice broke through her reverie, but managed to turn a smile on the older clanswoman. She had always held Ingvildr in great esteem, both for her kindness and for the fact that she was a servant of the Ice Queen. However much respect Ash had for the Goddess, she didn't think she'd have the courage to work with her so closely.

Replying in kind, she said, "I thank you for the compliment, elder cousin, yet that is kin to what troubles me. Soon I will journey to Valdimar, and earn my feather. It is an exciting prospect - I have waited for this for so long now! - yet somehow I can't help feeling a little afraid. It will be the first time I will be away from Rimehold without the company of family and friends..." She let the thought trail off, suddenly worried that voicing her concerns about the upcomming Rite to one of the Ice Queen's chosen might not be such a wise move. She didn't want the older woman to think her reluctant, or unsuitable.

Trying to deflect the topic a little, she asked, "When you made your journey to the valley, were you frightened?"
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

The older woman's smile was kindly enough, but the amused glint in her eye suggested that she was not fooled by Ashilda's efforts to deflect the conversation.

"Everyone is frightened to go to the Valley, Ashilda," Ingvildr chuckled. "It is a rite of passage designed to test the mettle and determination of our youth, not some Southlander debutante ball designed to test one's color-coordination and curtseying skills."

"As for being far from your family, you need not fear for that. Just as your family is only the closest representation of the larger kinship structure of your clan, so too is your clan, and indeed the nation of Trothgard, only the closest representation of your relationship with the Ice Queen, who is mother and sister and Kona to us all. During your rite, you will be closer to the Goddess than you ever have been before, and therefore closer to your family -- your full family -- than you ever have been before as well."

THe words had the ring of religious doctrine to them, of ancient lore oft-repeated; but Ingvildr's face shone with a conviction that suggested it was more than simple doctrine to the priestess, but a deep-rooted and passionately held belief.

Indeed, as the older woman spoke, Ashilda felt a tug ofrecognition deep in her soul as though some part of her recognized the truth in the words. Certainly Ashilda could remember times when the Goddess felt more ... immediate than others, where she seemed to be a nearly overwhelming presence, either of support or of chastisement.

Ashilda knew that the Goddess took special interest in the lives of the people of Trothgard -- now there was the thought of having that intense icy focus on her and solely on her in the unfamiliar valley far from home. Ingvildr had <i>meant</i> it to be reassuring. Whether it would be or not remained to be seen.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ash hid a giggle behind her hand as the older woman compared the Rite to a debutante ball. She had heard tales of strange lavish affairs held on many of the islands to the south, and thought it a very odd custom. What sort of a way was that to get to know people? Surely the local gatherings, with their atmosphere of companionship and friendly one-upmanship, were much more sensible!

The remainder of the conversation was more deeply concerning. Would she really be directly under the watchful gaze of the Goddess while she was in the Valley? Something in the old priestess' words rang true within her, almost like an instinctive YES in her soul. A small shiver ran through her. "Will the Goddess mind that I haven't always... done the best things?" she asked hesitantly. Memories of the trouble she had caused trying to carve a runesentence without training came back to her. While the reprimand still rankled, she knew deep down that she had done wrong.

She drew her knees up to her chest, the heavy folds of her leather skirt falling around her ankles. Clasping her arms around her knees, she chewed meditatively on her lower lip for a moment before blurting out, "The Goddess understands that people make mistakes sometimes, doesn't she?"
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

"The Ice Queen understands many things," Ingvildr said gravely. "She understands that we are her children, and that as children we err and are foolish as often, if not more often, than we are wise. THe only sort of error she cannot forgive, however, is for one of the daughters of Trothgard to be untrue to herself or to her clan, for to do so is to be untrue to the Goddess herself."

She smiled faintly and put a reassuring hand on the girl's shoulder. "You have nothing to worry about, Ashilda," the priestess said, fondness crinkling the skin around her eyes. "Many have passed the rite, ones who had erred more than you. It is your time to come to terms with who you are and the role you are to play as a grown woman, not the time to mete out punishment for old errors."

Leaving her hand on Ashilda's shoulder, the older woman looked into her eyes intently. "Have you given any thought, then, to what it is you shall do to serve your clan and your people? These are... trying times..." Although Ingvildr said nothing further, Ashilda knew that she must be referring to the increased Ice Troll raids, although there was something in her voice that suggested the concerns were graver than that. "...and we need every woman to play her part to her utmost in the days to come."
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ash bowed her head humbly as Ingvildr spoke, but she found the older woman's words reassuring. Surely everything would be alright. She had always felt she had been true to herself - that was what had gotten her into trouble in the first place, the fact that she felt she was able to do more than her mother agreed with. And if there was truly no harm in that...

She smiled up at her clanswoman at the final question. "I wish to learn the power of runecrafting," she replied confidently. "It's all I ever wanted for myself, and I just know that I could be an asset to the clans if I was able to develop my skill." For whatever it is that has Ingvildr worried, it is surely going to required as many people of skill as possible, she added to herself. At last I'll be able to get training and be able to do something useful!
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

Ingvildr smiled and nodded. "Yes, I have heard that you seem to have a particular affinity for the Runes; it is a challenging calling, but one that we sorely need, and one whose adepts the Ice Queen cherishes. You should have no worries about your Rite, cousin; the Ice Queen keeps a special eye on Her Runes and their crafters." Again, it was a comment that was designed to be reassuring, but perhaps would not be so to Ashilda.

Though there was no wind within the temple, there was a sudden tinkling sound from one of the ritual windcatchers made of feather and crystal that hung from one of the high corners of the building, and Ingvildr's eyes, concerned, flickered over to it quickly before looking back, composed once more, to Ashilda. "If you will excuse me, Cousin, there is business I must attend to," she said familiarly but slightly distractedly, before smiling once more at the younger woman and walking away briskly.

Moments later she was deep in conversation with another priestess, leaving Ashilda free to sit for further reflection in the temple or to go back out among the bustle of the clans.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda replied to the older woman's words with a slightly shakey smile, not entirely certain what to make of it. On the one hand, it was gratifying to be told by the priestess that she had an affinity for the runes and that this had been noticed. If only her mother would take such notice! On the other hand, she felt that being under the close eye of the Goddess might be a mixed blessing - the Ice Queen was often benevolent, but she could be ruthless with those she valued as well.

The tinkling of the chimes called Ingvildr away to tend to the business of the temple and Ash wished her cousin well as she went, but she had caught the look of concern in the woman's eyes. Was there something wrong? Another attack by the Ice Trolls? Or some portent from the Goddess? She watched from beneath lowered lashes as her clanswoman spoke with another priestess, trying to guess what they were talking about.

Shaking her head slightly, she rose gracefully to her feet and picked up her cloak. She wasn't really in a meditative frame of mind any more anyway. Better to return to the clanhouse than to stay here and disturb others with her fidgets. And leaving could serve another purpose as well, she decided. Instead of heading straight for the exit, she circled around nonchalantly, stopping in front of some of the niches to pay her respects but aiming to eventually pass close enough to the two priestesses to catch a hint of their conversation. It was a trick she had used many times at home to listen in on the conversations of the runecrafters, and she hoped to be able to pull it off.
Guenhwyfar
Retired staff

Post by Guenhwyfar »

The fact that the everpresent Trothgard wind was silent within the Goddess' temple made for a slightly disconcerting silence for one used to its steady low roar -- but it also made for good eavesdropping, as Ashilda found.

Only bits of the conversation reached her ears, for the women were well within the niche and their voices were low, but she could still make out enough to get the sense of what they spoke of. "Another sign...something new is causing... have to resolve as quickly..." the other priestess was saying to Ingvildr, narrating some extended story in a low, fast tone. Ingvildr merely sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose, before saying simply, clearly enough for Ashilda to hear, "This is the last thing we need right now," before putting her arm around the other priestess' shoulder and whispering directly into her ear in a way that left nothing to be heard.
Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: Back, finally. Yay! :)

IC:

Ashilda kept her features carefully schooled in neutraility as she strained to catch what her kinswoman was being told. Only fragments were understandable, and they provided plenty of food for thought in themselves: signs, and something that would need to be resolved... Would this impact her undertaking the Rite as planned? She offered up a swift, silent prayer to the goddess that nothing would delay her leaving. She had worked herself up to this for so long that she didn't think she could have bourne additional waiting.

She had to forcibly stop herself from grinding her teeth in frustration as Ingvildr leaned forward and delivered her response directly into the ear of the other priestess. In order to hear, she woul dhave to just about join them in the niche they occupied, and she knew that she could never escape their detection. I wonder if there is a rune for making someone invisible? she wondered. Well, she would find out soon, she hoped.

Supressing a sigh at missing the oportunity to find out more about whatever was going on, Ash shrugged off the misgivings that had brought her to the temple in the first place and replaced them with one final prayer. Please, let me make the Rite as planned, and let me pass. I will serve your will all the better with the knowledge and power of an adult.

With that last heartfelt wish, she turned silently and made her way towards the exit. It was time that she returned to the clanhouse.
Tygress
Retired Game Designer

Post by Tygress »

(Ashilda continued: Rimehold, Svafa Tents: Ashilda (Samheen 14th))

Skill rewards:

Inner Calm
Soundless movement [snow]
Conversation +*
Last edited by Tygress on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://tygress.livejournal.com/]Tygress[/url]||[color=green][i]Tygress Who?![/i][/color]

Return to “Trothgard Archive”