Rimehold, Bergliin Tents: Hex (Samheen 14th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Anarie Laezuriel

Rimehold, Bergliin Tents: Hex (Samheen 14th)

Post by Anarie Laezuriel »

Fazra led her red haired companion down the road. She stopped before large collection of tents. Opening the deer skin rug-door she motioned for Hex to follow.

Inside the tent it was dark, lit only by a small brazier on the floor. The heat was pleasant compared to outside. The ten seemed almost empty. That is until the sounds of rackous laughter came from the dining "hall"

"Looks like ya made it in time for supper. I can't be havin ya wanderin around here like a lost mule, so best be followin me to thee hall eh? The blonde woman led Hex through the many rooms in this large main tent until they stood in front of another fur flap covered doorway. "Are ye ready?"
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hex looked about herself, mostly at the state of her clothes, at least what was left of them. She was more tanned than when she left, quite a bit leaner with more muscle, a new scar or two. Inside though, she was on fire.

Am I ready? For what? What could the room beyond this animal skin hold for me? Hex firmly in her mind believed that the Ice Queen herself had willed her return, nothing else made sense to her. She left on a ship from Dort bound for the Citadel and now she landed here. Farfetched? maybe, but nothing was going to deter her from her path.

Hex gathered herself as best as she could. There was no point in facing the room looking a mess. Grasping her hands together she could feel the hard callouses, formed from long hours of hard work. Her knuckles were in simular shape from all her "practice" at fighting without a weapon. In Dort she was looked upon as a giant, a savage woman warrior. Here she was of average height, a novice at the games of war. She had one thing though, a thing that started to return to her as soon as she set foot back on the Isle, her fire. Inside she was a blast furnace of anger, and while they might be able to beat her down they could never smash her pride, nor her spirit.

Hex looked up at Fazra, that fire reflected in her eyes, her malicious grin back on her lips. Before Fazra could speak or act Hex stepped forward pulling the skin aside and stepped into the room.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Anarie Laezuriel

OOC: I am not finding much about your family in you character sheet so I will have to work accordingly.

IC:

Fazra stood dumbfounded. She could not believe the nerve of this girl. Sauntering into the room like some paragon. Slowly she came in behind Hex apologizing to the family for interrupting their dinner.

Solarin so'Bergliin stood up, his long beard as red as his daughters swung about, jingling with the beads that decorated it. Hex would noticed her father's feather was not up, but down and also on his left side (the mark of one un-married). The rest of the family sat, staring not saying a word. Fellius one of Hex's younger male cousins was eating a large mouthful of bear and it fell out, landing on his plate with a plop.

Hex's father stood with an angry glint in his blue eyes. "The prodigy returns, find what ye were lookin for did ye? If Hex looked around the room she would notice that her mother wasn't there. Solarin turned to Fazra. "Thank ye for bringing my upstart daughter to me, ye can be leavin now so'Svafa." Fazra nodded and took her leave.

The aging man now took a good look at this daughter. "Im seein more scars but your face as is self centered as it was when ye left us. Ice Queen be praised your mother isn't here to see this." One of Hex's sisters rose up from her seat, Kiran by name. "Papa! Can we just not talk about anythin and just eat. We can welcome back our own and eat in peace. Be nice wouldn't it? Solarin seemed to calm and slowly sat down as if sitting quickly pained him. He motioned for Hex to take a spot at the table on one of the un-occupied pillows.

The Bergliin main family was not large. Hex, her mother and father, one grandmother who passed a year before Hex left. The red head only had two sisters Kiran and Gisella. The Bergliin with five males were not considered to be blessed with girls. Hex's brothers, Otto, Langrin, Alufast, Armede and Ferogin were good lads each and every one of them though. Out of all of them only Hex had inherited her father's crown of fire hair. The rest had taken after their mother, blonde to the tips of their locks.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: :) There is very little about my family on my sheet as I did not know what to put. btw, what does "Feather Up" mean?

Hex just looked about the room as her father spoke, she was quite, letting her father speak. She had not wanted to be confronted by her mother but the thought of her not being here pained her more than the thought of fighting with her. Hex looked from her sisters to her father. Her eyes brimmed with tears, half of grief and exhaustion. The other half was made up of rage.

Hex stood focused upon her father with her face contorted, lips snarling, baring her teeth like a savage dog. Her voice came out low, not a shout and not a whisper. Her hands trembled, her knuckles and back of her hands white from strain.

"No. I did not find what I was looking for. I did not come back for you or for me. Self centered am I? I have learned a lot on my travels and it was the Ice Queen herself that brought me home."

Hex brought her hand up to her face to point to the latest break and new scar on her face. Unaware to Hex lines of tears started to run down her face, streaking through the dirt and grime.

"See this one father?, that one taught me humility to know that not all men out side of this Isle are weak. Now father , if you wish to say that my mother would not have whished to see my face again you just repeat what you said, for news of her not wishing to see me has hurt me more than any weapon ever has or ever will."

Tears flowed free, Hex could just not hold on any longer to dignity or pride. Her voice raising, trembling under the strain.

"Say it again father! I came home by the will of my Queen and that alone, NOW WHERE IS MY MOTHER!"

Hex let out a breath of air. Looking at her father she wondered how he was floating upwards. Not able to count back to the last time she ate, working hard through the storm and now compounded by the emotional strain, exhaustion had finally consumed Hex.

She never remembered hitting the floor.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

OOC: My bad! :oops: I meant to say NOT up and on the left. That would indicate he was un married, either by seperation or the death of a spouse.

IC:

As his daughter passed out on the floor Solarin carried a brief look of concern. The table let out a gasp. Truly this was too much excitement for one evening. The elder male looked to his other daughter. "Take her to yur room Kiran, let 'er rest. We can continue our 'family' talk tomorrow. He stated. Solarin decided to help carry his red haired daughter into Kiran's room to rest. Kiran watched her lost sister for a moment before heading back for the main room. Solarin sat on the ground at the edge of hammock. For all his years of strength he started to cry.

Marks later Hex had finally started to wake. The light in the room was low and no one but herself was in there. She had been changed into a long nightgown made of tanned deer hide. It was a simple thing, with no beads or tassled, but it was also quite comfortable and soft. She was covered in two heavy fur blankets, long enough to reach almost to her chin. Hex's hair was loosed of her braids and let to flow in loose fashion. The feather she had earned in her Right of Passage many yahren ago was still in her hair as no dedicated Northerner would ever remove it.

Hex would no doubt feel slightly light headed. The heat in this room coming from a small brazier in the far corner of the room was enough to keep the red haired lass from becoming chill however.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex woke, startled by her new surroundings. Remembering, then recovering, she pulls herself into a sitting position. For the first time in ages her hair is out of her braids and she is home. So many things slam into her head, already dulled by the pain due to lack of food.

Having no idea what time it is she pulls herself to her feet. Fixing her hair so that it will not fall in her face, she begins to search around Kiran's room for food and water. Not finding any, Hex moves gingerly to the tent flap, checking first for any sounds from the room on the other side. Taking a deep breath, then letting it out slowly, she steps though.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

The hard floors, made of packed earth, were not completely uncomfortable against bare feet. As Hex and her own bare feet made their way out of Kiran's room it was apparent that night had fallen. It was a matter of fact nearly Gravetide. The halls were dark, save for the light coming from braziers in a few other rooms. Someone in the tent was singing an old travelling song, the sound was far off . . . it even could be coming from another tent.

The dining hall was to the right and down the hall three rooms from Kiran's. The entrance room and other bedrooms were to the left. If Hex found she might have to listen to a call of nature, she would have to go outside. A tent flap leading outside to walled in latrine area was two rooms down to the left of Kiran's room.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was famished. With the hope that someone had been lazy cleaning up, although she doubted it, she first moved as quietly as possible to the dinning room to see what, if anything was left. Hex was happy to be wearing one of her sisters tanned deer nightgowns. On some level it was feeling good to be home. Although Hex was not looking forward to the coming day, wondering what day it indeed was. She also wanted to know what happened to her mother. She had so many questions that she did not have any answers to.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

A meek voice came from the shadow filled dining hall, soft a feminine. "Hello sister. I thought you might be hungry I left a platter for you. The bronze pan there with the lid." Kiran spoke softly. She had been sitting here for some time meditating and waiting for Hex to wake up.

The plate had three slices of bear meat, spiced potatoes, and some kind of cooked green leaf that had been cooked in a cream sauce. It was something like spinach but spicier.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex moved over to her sister and embraced her in a long hug and then holding her sisters head, gave a kiss on the forehead.

"Hello Kiran, it is good to see you again. I am sorry that my return was not a more formal or less angry one. In retrospect things could have been done differently. I hope father was not too put out. Thank you for sharing your room and your clothes. Hopefully I will not stretch them in any weird ways."

The food in the pan was causing knots in Hex's stomach. Gesturing for her sister to join her, Hex sat down and started to eat, nodding to her sister in approval of the meal. Letting out a sigh and relaxing a bit, Hex looked towards her sister.

"So Kiran, tell me about mother and then tell me what you have been doing since I left."
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

Kiran hugged her smaller sister back. Hex's oldest sister was the tallest of the girls, Gisella the shortest, and Kiran hardly thought that the smaller Hex would stretch her clothes. "Could be we will make you some o' yur own clothes my sister.

When Hex asked about their mother a sad looked came over her face. "Did ye not notice our father's feather. Twas down on his left side, not because he and mother have split ways either. Mother is . . . our mother became too ill for the priestesses to heal her. It was sickness that none of us noticed until . . . until it was too late. Two yahrens ago, our dear mother passed on. We . . . we have not been the same unit since her passing." Kiran let the news settle into Hex's brain.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex indeed let the words sink into her brain. Her mother was dead, never to laugh, smile or scold her again. The sadness that started to overwhelm Hex was too much for her to handle. Deep down inside of her she placed that hurt, a hurt to be dealt with another day. Her face could not maintain the same calm as tears flowed, staining her cheeks.

"I will miss her greatly." Lifting her head to her sister. "I realize that you have had some time to work through your grief, I have not. This news has hit me harder than I think anything has in a long time. Do not mistake my lack of sobbing as impartial feelings. I must, we must, we must all go on. Why has the unit split and not grown stronger together? Tell me, I have been gone a long time and I almost feel like a stranger in my own land."

Hex played with the hem of the nightgown and released a soft laugh, the type of laugh that one pushes from themselves when they want to avoid overwhelming thoughts, a nervous laugh.

"You know Kiran, I have grown a bit, my shoulders are wider now and I am much stronger." Hex looked at Kiran with a sly grin to her face. "You know, I learned a bit on how to make yourself have a more softer and pleasant appearance while I was away."

Tears flowed causing Hex's cheeks to glisten with wetness. Pulling up her legs she wraps her arms around them and rests her head on her knees. Her free hair falling to the floor. Softly, speaking so very softly..."I bet mother would have laughed to hear that."
~
Anarie Laezuriel

Kiran watched her sister, understanding the younger Bergliin's grief. She stroked Hex's flame colored locks lovingly. " Yes, she would laugh and say you have grown soft. Kiran thought on what had occured between Hex and father. Some kind of explanation was needed, but truly . . . where to begin.

The firelight from the flames of the brazier in the next room played against the pale skin of Kiran's face and the not so pale skin of her sister's face. It looked almost like golden water and it made Kiran nearly giggle at the words that Hex just spoke and the fireplay now on her face.

"Father lost his sense of self after Mother passed. He does not truly blame you, but nearly all the village says you ran away from home because you could not find happiness with your own people. It pains him to here that and now, to have you just walk into our tent and . . . well it's too much for him I'm thinkin."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex looked at her sister for a long time. The village thought I left because I was unhappy? Hex shook her head and let out a long sigh.

"Sometimes I am unsure why I left. I thought that we were getting soft, no longer raiding and settling down to a comfy life." Looking at her sister from the corner of her eye..

"I still think that to some degree, but at least now I truly know what soft is and as soft as i think we are, we are not that soft. I was not ready to come back yet but it seems that the Ice Queen has willed me to come home. Tomorrow I shall go see the Kona, hear what she has to say and then I shall do my best to remain in the highest favor to the Ice Queen, what ever that may be. Do you think that father will want to see me before I go or after?" Hex paused for a moment in contemplation..

"Oh, and if anyone in this village wants to speak of me and my doings, you can send them to me directly."
~
Anarie Laezuriel

Kiran let out a long sigh that nearly blew out a nearby candle. "I'm not knowin or presuming ta know what the Ice Queen thinks, but she has a reason for everything so mayhap what you say it true, mayhap not. It isn't for one like me to be deciding. The Kona will attend to you and your . . . are these people your friends?" Hex's sister asked, for once actually stopping to think about things before she said them. She continued speaking while she let her little sister mull over that one.

"You are more like father than any of us. Same hair, same demeanor, same resiliance it seems. I hold faith that he will welcome ye back home soon enough, don't ye fret. As for being soft, sounds like you grew more soft than one of Mother's cookies." Kiran snickered as she said that one. Their mother had made the best Spice Cookies in Rimehold, but they were so soft that when you picked them up they fell apart.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Grabbing Kiran by the hair and pulling her towards her, Hex let a wicked smile come over her face...

"No need to worry sister, tonight I seem soft, but tomorrow I shall be back to being tougher than the earth."

Quickly releasing her sister and laughing, Hex wrapped her arms around her sister in a loving embrace. Standing up and brushing down her gown.

"I have learned may things on my travels, none of the things I learned involved baking. Now as for these companions of mine. The men are sailors from a former pirate ship, that is all I know of them. The woman named Ellena I have known the longest. She is, or rather was, on the way to the Citadel from Dort, as was Scatha. I belive though, for much different reasons. I know practically nothing of the Elf Arvana. If we needed some slaves I would recommend Ellena, she was off to a school that made women servants or some such thing."

Hex shrugs and looks at her sister,

"I really know nothing about them. Scatha seems up for a good time. What is going on with the Trolls? Why are they so close to the settlement?"

Hex pauses for a moment..

"As for father, what is this about welcoming me back home? Humm sweet sister? Have I been kicked out? Perhaps father needs a jolt like having his nose broken while that one is explained to me."

Hex took in a deep breath. Trothgard was the last place she wanted to be when she left, but now, at least for a time she felt like being home. Inside she could feel her edge coming back, her nasty streak, her wickedness, her quick temper and brashness that had caused her so much trouble. Grabbing the remaining piece of meat and shoving it in her mouth, Hex starts to put her hair back into braids, not loose at the temple though, but tight along the side of her head, running from the temple to the base of her neck. Her feather standing out vividly. Continuing the two braids she turns to her sister.

Speaking around the mouthfull of meat..

"How many candlemarks till morning tide? Oh, and as much as I love this dress, do you have something else I could ware to see the Kona? (indicating her braids) Do these look tight to you?"
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

Kiran shook her head at her sister's nonsensecial attitude. "It would be wise sister mine to not use the word slave while you are here. It would anger the Kona. As for our troll problem . . . it has been on going, the teem from their mountain homes as if running for the Demon Prince himself and they plague us daily. We have prayed to the Queen but she will not answer us, she abandons her priestesses at the temple and no one knows why. So as far as her bringing you here. . . in honestly do not think that is why. Fate perhaps took a turn in bringing you home."

She waited until her younger sister was through eating then started pushing her out of the room. "You will get no new outfits until you get your big rear back to bed. You have quite some time before morning and if you refuse to go to sleep I'll have to knock you out." Kiran giggled at that but kept a stern face.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex whipped around on her sister, her face a twisted form of hatred.

"Dare not mention slaves? Why? Is it not our heritage? Is it not a part of us? Why pray to the Queen to solve a Troll problem? It may be a test of faith and if it is dear sister I say you are failing. Soft am I? The people here seem so soft they run like the melting snow. As for me dear sister, do you not belive that the Ice Queen guides our fate? She is our fate."

Hex's face softens as she looks at her sister.

"I missed you all when I left, but it sickens me to see what our people are becoming. I pray to the Ice Queen that I am wrong in what I see."

Hex turns and goes back to Kiran's room. The weight of the morning rides heavy on her as she heads to bed
~
Anarie Laezuriel

Kiran wrinkled her nose at her little sister's departing form. When had Hex become so self absorbed and defensive? She did not know but she only hoped that time would prove the remedy for that fault. She yawned a fell asleep in the dining hall leaving Hex to her room.

Night came smooth and soft, a welcome respite for the biting cold wind and pelting snow of most nights. The rest of Hex's sleep came un-interrupted until morning.

When the morning did come it was blazingly bright, a trick one would see if they stepped outside into the bitter air. Rays of sun danced on the floor where they could get around the fur flap in Kiran's room. The smell of some kind of bread or pastry was the morning wake-up call. That was until petite frame stood in the doorway of Kiran's room.

Gisella looked at her sister and gave a happy shriek before bouding into the room and throwing herself at her sister. It seems even Gisella's little fram was capable of giving bear hugs. The pretty blue eyed blonde middle daughter of the Bergliin clan smiled at her red haired little (but big) sister. She kissed both her cheeks and hugged her again. "Oh it is you! I missed yur coming when I was supping with Hei-Bjorts but I am ever so happy ta see you!"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex lie in bed, a welcome slumber to the rocking of the life aboard ship. Suddenly from disturbing dreams came the war shriek of a banshee. Jolting Hex out of slumber was the cry and embrace of her sister Gisella. Hex smiled wearily and returned the embrace.

"Yes dear sister it is good to see you again too. I would not worry about missing my home coming, it was worth missing." She returned her sisters embrace and held her close for a short while.

Smelling the baked goods Hex looked cautiously towards the entrance to the dinning area.

Inside Hex was all nerves, today she wanted to go to the temple and get it done with, either way it went, but first there would be father. Grounding herself Hex focused on the sound of the wind, letting the coolness of the land wash over her. Not one to pray, but Hex was more and more wanting to be attuned to the Queen. Letting out a sigh and looking to her sister again, "shall we go eat and you can tell me what has gone on while I was away. Did you see if father is up yet?." Hex busied herself getting ready and making sure her braids were still tight.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

OOC: war shriek of a banshee? hehehehe :P

IC:

Gisella looked at her sister queerly. "Worth missing? Pfah! Nonsense. As I remember it you always were the fire-brand of the family, always causing a ruckus, nice to see things don't change." She smiled at her sister's face. Touching Hex's cheek gently she smiled even wider. "You look a lot like our grandmother you know. Always strong she was just like you."

Hex surprised her with her next question. "Is Papa up yet?! Of course he is! You went and forgot that he was always the first one up didn't you? You knucklehead!" Gisella scolded her sister playfully. Standing with her hands on her hips she tried to look stern. "Now you get dressed and come down and have breakfast with your Sister. You must tell about your travels."
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex wrinkled her nose at the notion that she looked like her grandmother, not that anything was wrong with that, just that she didn't look that old yet did she? In wrinkling her nose she did wind up looking like Kiran.

Laughing at her sister trying to look stern and imitating her stance,

"Well then Gisella,(mockingly) let me tell you all about the occupation of maid, really though I do not know what to wear."

The sisters talked as Hex complied a more suited, yet still not cut for her new figure, wardrobe. At ease with her older sister Hex outlined her journeys of the past few years and of her miraculous return to Trothgard. For some reason Hex felt it necessary to fuss with her hair again. While the result of letting her hair loose resaluted in some nice curls to accompany her standard braids from her temple, the notion of why she felt like doing it unsettled her a bit. Pushing those feelings aside, Hex prepared herself for morning breakfast with her father.

"Shall we finally get to eat then Gisella? I am famished and I feel a long day ahead of me."

Hex moves to step through the flap into the dining area.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

Gisella giggled at her sister. "Never before did ye worry about your looks. Turning into a "lady" maybe?" She hurried out of the room. The smell of ale and bread was heavy and made Hex's stomach gurgle.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Watching her sister's darting form disappear through the flap, A Lady?! Now what did she mean by that?

Hex's belly lurched for the food in the other room, pulling herself together and focusing on her task, Hex gathered herself. Today, and perhaps many of the days to follow were not going to be easy, within her Hex felt a renewed fight and finally some focus. Giving up and backing down were two things that Hex had never done and never will. She would go on and fulfill what ever task or hardship lay before her. Laughing at herself for the perceived hardship of the day, she quickly mused on the comparison between having breakfast with her father or dueling with three pirates.

Stepping through the flap Hex could see that the rest of the family had gathered for breakfast. Hex walked cooly and calmly around her family towards her father. Bending down as she stood beside him she kissed him on the top of his head.

"Sorry father, I am your daughter after all." That being said she gave the family a quick wink while moving to sit in her old spot. Stuffing her mouth full of bread and taking a good swig of cool water, Hex began to talk around her food..

"So, I have this insane need to go and see the Kona, if that is still done, in order to get my head a little straight. Hopefully I can get that done by lunch." Giving Kiran a sly look.

"If any one wants to go with me I would appreciate that. I also need to find out where they took the women who came in from the storm with me. I think I need to apologize to them, it appears that things are done a little different here then I remember and I think I was quite disrespectful to them. They have been good to me and do not deserve that. After lunch or when my task with the Kona, which ever comes first,I will try and see them. Father, I would also like to sitdown today with you, perhaps then we could see what I can do to help my family." Stuffing more food into her face Hex looks over at her brothers.

"Perhaps one of you might want to go and tell my shipmates that I will find them in a bit, they are quite the set of lookers you know." Some food falls out of her mouth as Hex laughs and wipes her mouth with the back of her hand..
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~
Anarie Laezuriel

OOC: Sorry this thread has been kinda blah lately, was busy like crazy with my writing assignments. You post way better than I, and I notice you are enroled in the mod seminar . . . good luck Peter! 8)

IC:

Solarin looked up as his daughter entered, his face was unmoving and unemotional when she kissed his red hair. "Up a little late aren't ye?" Alufast chuckled, his barrel like voice nearly vibrating the table. "Oy Father! Her extra beauty rest seems to have done her good . . . ye look lovely Hex." Gisella giggled and squeezed Hex's hand affectioantely. "Probably cause she is a might older you ox!" The table laughed, even Solarin surpressed a grin.

Kiran set her plate aside thinking about her red haired sister's question. "The Kona? Would seem to me you'd be meetin her tomorrow, seein as how tomorrow is the Council Meeting. Solarin nodded, for the first time actually taking an interest in the matters outside the home and their smithing activities. "Aye! I promised the Hei-Bjorts we would introduce you to their family later today. We were planning on meeting at our new Inn."
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”