Rimehold, North Star Tavern: Miscellaneous (Samheen 15th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Anarie Laezuriel

Rimehold, North Star Tavern: Miscellaneous (Samheen 15th)

Post by Anarie Laezuriel »

Samheen the 15th, Morningtide

The natives of Trothgard don't have much use for a tavern. They can eat, drink, sleep and socialize in and around their home. Trothgardians are a very inner-social people relying heavily on word of mouth for any information they would care to know. They do however require items outside their own circles for continuation of their lively hood.

Recently there has been an influx of traders and merchants, more than the Northern Isle is used too. These traders normally would have spent the night on their ships or pitched a tent. Not anymore for in Rimehold a new building has been erected and finally finished.

The building is two stories high erected from gray stone and darkened wood. The roof is peaked so as to have snow slide of it instead of collect, as it would on a flat roof. The windows are all circular and double-pained to keep heat in and cold out. They look much like portholes on a ship but much larger. There is a double set of doors in the front, dark wood like the wood of the structure set with the largest iron handles one may have ever seen. There is also a smaller wooden door in the back used for employees.

There is a huge sign nailed above the door (instead of hanging, since a hanging sign might blow away in the wind) that is painted with the picture of a six pronged blue star. There is small writing below proclaiming this building to be "The North Star Inn &Tavern" The print is less not half as important as the picture, considering the low literacy rate in Trothgard.

The heat radaites from a large fireplace against the rooms western wall. Above it on the mantle are two carved figurines of hippogyrphs, the bird like creatures that are believed to be avatars of the Ice Queen. The floor is made of stone and decorated with thick fur rugs of various animals. The walls are also of stone but re-enforced with wooden pieces, making it look almost cabin-like indoors. There are small tables very close to the floor, and no chairs you notice, except a few wooden stools by the bar. There are over stuffed pillows surrounding each of the twelve tables the main room has.

The bar is not too long, almost more of table than a bar but it gets the job done. It has the look of new wood and the whole room smells of wood, cooking meat and tobacco. Which as you can see can be purchased at the bar for a fair amount of coin. There is a poorly written notice tacked to a piece of wood behind the shelves that hold various kinds of liquor. "No wepens! Pleeze turn in ahl wepens at the bar or risk being tackin owt!"

As Scatha wakes she feels the warmth of the fireplace drifting up into the loft she is sleeping. There are no wall up here so the heat moves about freely. The bed she spent the night is little more than a bed-roll made of fur but is comfortable nonetheless. The smell of hot stew wafts about the whole of the tavern. A small bit of sunlight filters in through a small porthole sized window near Scatha's sleeping area casting an almost playful twinkle of light on the young girl's face.

A serving girl with black hair is downstairs humming to herself as she washes all the tables off. The blonde girl named Ajiira that Scatha met last night is in the back cooking the stew that smells most delicious this morning.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

For a moment, Scatha was quite confused; she didn't know where she was, nor how she had got there. Then she remembered; last night the serving girl, Ajiira, had offered stew and Scatha had eaten until it felt like it was seeping out of her ears. And then, somehow, full and barely awake, she had staggered up the stairs, following Ajiira to the loft she was in now.

Scatha sat up, quite naked. She ddn't remember taking her clothes off, let alone hanging them up to dry, but there they were. More interestingly, so was her whip; someone had unfastened it from her trousers and uncoiled it, and left it at its full length along the floor to dry. Scatha scrambled out of the fur bed-roll on her hands and knees to it. Not good... could be worse. Leather and seawater didn't mix, and the whip had been in the water a long time. Perhaps the beeswax that she'd massaged into to keep it supple and prevent rain from damaging it would do the trick. If not, she was in the market for a new whip... the only thing to do was to let it dry and see.

Scatha stood up, stretched and yawned and shook her head; her hair felt matted on her hair, so she undid the bands that held it up in two untidy bunches, and used her fingers to try and bring some order to it. It still felt like a haystack, but a slightly tidier haystack; having got the worse knots out, Scatha tied it back up into two bunches again, and considered her clothes.

Her shirt was still there, and thankfully dry; Scatha pulled it over her head, and checked it hadn't shrunk or got any rips or tears. It just covered her bottom; barely decent, as her aunts used to say. Her trousers were another matter; they were leather, and still damp. It would be a while before they were fully dry. She gave them a shake, and something fell from the pocket, something small and bright. Kneeling down, Scatha picked it up; it was the tiny jewelled dagger than Jozap had thrown in the tavern in Dort, the one that she'd kept with her on the ship despite his orders not to carry weapons on board. Scatha's expression saddened as she thought about the pirate captain, and wondered where he was; she murmured a prayer to the Mother to tend for him , wherever he might be. She studied the dagger for a minute; it was bright and sharp and wicked, barely the length of her hand and the width of two fingers. The jewels were pretty... they sparkled in the faint sunlight seeping through the porthole in the loft. Scatha tucked the dagger back into her trousers, stood up and stretched again, then giggled; the action pulled her shirt right up. Going to have to be careful about that until my trousers are dry...

Downstairs, she could hear someone - Anjiira? - humming, and there was a the same delicious smell of stew. Breakfast suddenly seemed like a very good idea, and wearing just a very short shirt Scatha went down the stairs...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"

Post by Guest »

<I>Harder and harder, the rain beats down on her, trying to drag her into the ground. The attempt making her weary, she still struggles to maintain her strength to leave this nightmare alive. Clawing at the ground, she pulls herself closer and closer to the building she sees through the foggy rain.
Before reaching the door, she is grabbed by the ankle. Looking over her shoulder, she lets out a scream when she sees who the perpetrator is.</I>

Throwing herself from her bed, Arvana wakes up, sweaty and grasping for air. Dressed in only a flimsy nightshirt, or undergarment if you will, the sun shines through the nightshirt. This brings no warmth. The dampness doesn't fade, but seems to get strong at every thought running through her head.

Slipping on her still wet clothes, the elvan maiden goes over the dream once again, wondering why it suddenly came. She never dreams. Running her fingers through her hair, she heads over to the table near the window, and seats herself at it.

Time flys by while sitting at the table, and she realises it must be around breakfast time, as she can smell wonderful scents wafting up the stairs. Stirring herself from her resting place, she makes her way down the stairs back into the room they entered when coming to this place.

Seeing Scatha, Arvana moves over to the girl, trying to hide her troubled thoughts with a smile. "How sleep, Scatha?" Her comman tongue still isn't the greatest, but is improving everyday. Soon, she's confident she'll be able to speak as well as others.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Anarie Laezuriel

The black haired serving girl looked up at the two girls. She gave Arvana a smile but when she saw Scatha her mouth dropped open. "Are ye daft! Ye can't be wearing that 'round here. Go back upstiars and get some clothes on!" She gaped. A small voice came from the back, one that was familiar. "Now now Constance, mind yur tongue. Our visitors are guests here, what's more Laneira said they crashed landed here so they ain't got no clothes really. Was gonna make em some new ones later, but ran outta time."

The pretty voice was followed by Ajiira's slender form walking through the kitchen doorway. She grinned at Scatha as she wiped some kind of flour off her hands with a rag. "Come with me miss . . . hmm, don't believe I know yur name. Anyhow come with me and we will get ye some things to wear. They are mine so they might be a bit big, but they should fit well enough." The blonde girl motioned for Scatha to follow her as she went into a small pantry room on the left side of the main area.

The raven haired girl nodded her head at the elf. "Suppose yur hungry then eh? Ajiira made some Rabbit Stew for ye, so ya might as well eat it. 'Ere 'ave a seat and I'll go fetch ye a bowl." She went off towards the kitchen, her rather plump figure swaying under her shabby dress.

The sunlight in the main room was even brighter than upstairs and covered the wooden floor and the many fur rugs on it in it's basking light. The pillows even looked brighter. The sun however was simply a decoration for if one opened the door it would be colder than a dead man's body outside.

OOC: Arvan, you can't say English in Tazlure because there is no such thing. Either say Human or Common, Common Tongue works best in my opinion. 8)
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha wandered downstairs, blinking... there was Arvana, still slightly soggy. Scatha grinned as she heard her broken Common; its just like talking to Darkwood. I just hope her sense of direction is better than his... "I slept very well, thank you," she said with a smile. "How about you?" She patted the wood elf's shoulder affectionately; "You're still damp", she teased. "You'll catch your death if you don't get into dry things."

Scatha would have joined Arvana, but her attention was drawn by the shocked outburst from the black haired serving girl. She looked down at herself, puzzled; hadn't the girl ever seen legs before? Scatha was about to explain what legs were and how they worked when, to her relief, Ajiira appeared and offered her some clothes. Scatha grinned at her; "That would be brilliant - thanks. I'll try not to get them too dirty. Oh, and by the way - I'm Scatha, and that's Arvana." Scatha started to follow Ajiira, then stopped; "Do you think you could find some clothes for her as well?" she asked, gesturing for Arvana to come and join them...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Arvana nods to the girl, thinking that stew would be lovely right about now. But before she could seat herself, Scatha motioned for her to follow. Moving over slowly, her clothes still wet, she stands beside her friend. "Yes, Name is Arvana."

(OOC Sorry. I feel dumb now. I normally say comman tongue, but yesterday I was super tired, and I feel off my friend's horse, and was stung by a bee, already!!! Er...I'm ok now. Anyways...SORRY!! for the short post also!!
Anarie Laezuriel

Ajiira smiled. "You talk really fast ya know? And of course I can find something for yur friend too." She walked into a small bedroom that must have been her own. There was only one window and wasn't covered by any curtain, of course it need not be seeing as how it was so high up on the wall. There was a collection of shoes and boots under the bed, some of them even looked furry. The only furniture in the room werea small worn table with the oils and a comb, a large trunk and Ajiira's bed, which was plain in and of itself. The bed had only one white feather down pillow and a white sheet covered by a dark brown fur blanket. A large brown trunk was at the food of the bed, it's bronze colored latches catching the sunlight.

"My boots are under the bed and any clothes you might require are in that trunk. Well I leave ye girls to it then, take what you like, I am going to go help Constance prepare your breakfast." The half-blind slave girl smiled warmly at her new "friends" and walked out of the room.

Inside the trunk were a number of plain dresses, some lined in fur around the neck and cuffs. Nearly all Ajiira's clothes were brown, but there were a few black and white pieces. Two pair of black leggings and three long muslin shirts in shades of off white. Two of the three had ties at the chest and lace at the cuff. Even if they were plain it was obvious they were meant for women. A plethora of multicolored scarfs were tied to a small circlet meant to keep them organized. They were made from some kind of silk fabric and felt absolutely lovely to the touch.

Under Ajiira's bed there was also a number of shoes and boots all of which were brown. Mostly the blonde girl had hardened moccasins or maid slippers but there were at least four pair of boots. One was rather un-remarkable save for the fact that it was lined with tan colored soft fur. The second pair was prettier, decorated with tiny beaded tassels at the top, a small line of black fur ran around the top of the boot. The last two pair were nearly identical and seemed almost MADE of fur. In truth they were soft brown leather boots covered with fur on the inside and outside.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was bemused; I talk real fast? You should meet my aunt Etain, she could talk for Dort... before Scatha could engage Ajiira in any more swift-talk, she'd gone. And you move real fast, too... smiling, Scatha picked her way through the clothes, eventually selecting a pair of black leggings and one of the long muslin shirts, the one without the lace. Scatha grinned at Aravna; "No peeking," she teased, then pulled her own shirt off, and tugged Ajiira's clothes on. A bit baggy, but not too bad... beggars can't be choosers, after all. Footwear was a bit more of a problem; Scatha had very small feet, and only one of the pairs of shoes really fitted, the prettiest ones with tassles on. A bit fancy, but comfy... and warm. Dressed, Scatha spotted the comb; "Yes!" She quickly undid the untidy bunches that her hair was in, sat on the edge of the bed and drew her comb threw her hair, tugging out the worst tangles. "That's better," she said eventually, tying her hair back up into two bunches again. "Do you want me to do your hair?" she asked Arvana cheerfully...
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Arvana kneeld near the trunk, taking her time in looking for some clothes. She did not want to wear something that could get easily wreck, for she planned on returning them when she had made enough money to buy some more clothing. Pulling out the last pair of legging, and one of the muslin shirts, she blushed and turned as Scatha pulled off her clothing and in place, put on an outfit identicle to the one Arvana was planning on wearing.

Searching under the bed for boots, she picked a pair of the two that seemed to be made of fur. When all dressed, she turned and nodded her head for Scatha to comb out her hair, knowing it was quite messy. Around her arm, was the band she used to pull it up. Handing it to Scatha, she hopped the girl would pull it up after combing it. "Thank-You."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha grinned; "You'll be sorry... the last girl who let me comb her hair went bald." With that, she went behind Arvana and started drawing the comb through her long dark hair. Scatha was secretly jealous of Aravna's hair; how do elves manage to get it so silky? Must be something they eat. Lorannon had gorgeous hair as well... Scatha drew the comb and her fingers through the wood elf's hair, trying not to tug too much and making sure she got most of the knots out in it. "There you go - almost presentable," she said with a smile when it was done. "Here - let me tie it up." She took the band form around Arvana's arm, and tied her hair up in a fairly tidy bun. "Now you look like one of my aunts," she teased. "I'm starving... come, let's eat, and you can tell me what you're doing here. What on earth got you on board the Dark Whisper, anyhow? And why were you leaving Dort?"

Post by Guest »

Arvana sits quietly as Scatha does her hair. "Thanks" Stirring from her seat, she puts her arm through Scatha's and walks out to the table where they would be eating. Sitting down again, Arvana tackles her questions one by one.
"What I doing here? Boat crashed. Made me get on. Wanted to leave Dort. Need more adventure. That all. You?"
She looked eager to get her food and quickly eat, wanting to avoid question period.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha followed Arvana and sat down next to her. Her stomach growled; it wanted more of the delicious stew she'd eaten last night. Scatha couldn't quite work out exactly what it was she'd eaten, and she'd ben too tired to ask; she made a mental note to ask Ajiira what type of cattle had gone into the stew.

Arvana's answers to her questions puzzled her; boat crashed? Made me get on? "I'm sorry... I don't understand," she said with a smile. "What boat? What crash? I only recently came to Dort, and even then I only stayed for one night - so I don't know anything about any boats crashing. It sounds exciting, though - what happened?"

Post by Guest »

Arvana giggled. "No. I mean. I here 'cause boat crashed. I went to Dort' cause wanted adventure, but no there. I want job, so want to go to where we going, but boat crashed here. 'Member boat crash in Dort? I there, with firends. Scary." Arvana hushes, the memory jogging another in her head.
Anarie Laezuriel

Ajiira came out of the kitchen holding two bowls of soup. The bowls themselves appeared to made of bread! "Here you are ladies, now eat up. Rabbit stew tastes best when warm." She scanned them both feeling a bit of pride that they had picked out some of her nicest clothing.

Constance was cleaning off the bar and watching the two with bird-like eyes. They went to the door when two large Trothgard men came in. The first was taller than the doorframe and had to duck to get in. His dark brown beard came to mid-torso decorated with beads engraved with the family mark of the Waelkyridge family. The smaller but no less imposing blonde behind him had only a small beard, as having just passed his Rite of Passage only a few months prior. Both were bright blue eyed and wore their feathers on the left side, indicating their un-married state. Evan and Lirahn So'Waelkyridge were respected citizens, mostly due to their valorous nature but also their willingness to make friends.

"G'morning Ajiira! Just came in ta get a drink afore we go out huntin." Ajiira nodded and went to get. "Of course Lirahn, be back soon, have a seat." Constance's face brightened considerably when she saw Lirahn's brother behind him. "Hello Evan." He nodded at her, but his gaze was transfixed on Arvana. He had never seen an elf before. She was beautiful. "So it is true, there is an elf in Trothgard." He continued to stare until his older brother elbowed him in the ribs. Blushing he followed him to the table across the room from the two newcomers. Ajiira came and handed them two ale's brimming over with foam before going to help Constance clean. Even kept sneaking looks behind his shoulder at the two girls, but more the elf lass.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Arvana holds her steaming bowl of stew, smelling the hearty aroma. Dipping her spoon into her bowl, she slowly slurps her stew, careful not to burn her mouth.

Talking to Scatha, Arvana had not noticed the two males enter, until the older one asked for a drink. Turning her head, she notices the males, both bearing beards. One, the younger, seemed to be staring at her. She turned her attention back to Scatha, when the older brother jabbed his young with his elbow. Being an elf, she has very good eyesight.
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

OOC: Sorry Ellena seemed to have disappeared for so long - my computer decided to crash and it really doesn't have great timing when it comes to these things! :roll: Hope I haven't been causing too much of an innconvenience!

IC:

Even as Ellena began to stir, she snuggled deeper into her makeshift bed, but instinct was already telling her it was time to get up, even if her weary body wanted to try denying it. Sleepily, she pushed her long tangled red hair out of her eyes and sat up slowly. Finding herself in unfamiliar surroundings, she was momentarily baffled but then everything which had happened rapidly flooded back to her. They had left Dort and now Zarias was gone, the ship was gone ... everything familiar to her was gone and she was here in Trothguard - she had hoped it was all a dream, but no such luck. With a little groan, she flopped back down on her bedroll and buried her face in it.

Still, moping would do her no good and her stomach was already complaining that it was long past breakfast time so she pulled herself together and forced herself to leave the relative comfort of her bed. Checking her clothes and finding them still slightly damp but wearable ( all but her cloak that was, as its heavy material was still keeping it from drying fully), she dressed quickly and then turned her attention to her hair. Grimacing as she tried to de-tangle it with her fingers, she did the best she could and then plaited her long locks in an attempt to keep them tidy.

Deciding she was as ready as she'd ever be, she ventured downstairs, looking a little lost. Her stomach rumbled slightly as her nose caught a whiff of what smelled like some kind of stew and she hoped she wasn't too late for breakfast.
Anarie Laezuriel

The two men in the room both looked up at the red heads approach and grinned. Three ladies and all of them quite attractive. This would be news to the men they were going hunting with today.

Ajiira looked up at Ellena and smiled widely. "Well good morning to you. Have a seat and I'll bring ye some breakfast."
Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Glancing around the room, Ellena spotted the other survivors of the shipwreck, Scatha and Arvana, as well as two bearded men and the blonde woman who greeted her. For a second, she tried to straighten out her rumpled clothes with a hint of self-consciousness, but quickly dismissed such attempts as she discovered breakfast to be a much more pressing issue. That smell was only making her even hungrier and she returned Ajiira's smile warmly.

"So it is still morning then!" she grinned before nodding gratefully at the woman's instruction. "Breakfast sounds great!"

Glad to see some familiar faces, she made her way to where Scatha and Arvana were sitting and greeted them both before sitting down.

"Morning!" she smiled, "How are you two finding our new surroundings?"

Post by Guest »

Arvana stuffed another spoon full into her month before answering Ellena. "Hello! Sleep late, you." Pulling a chair ou with her leg, she waits for the girl to sit. "I love it here. Beautiful, though, I not been outside." Continuing to eat, she savours the flavour of the stew.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha was bemused; "I don't know anything about a boat crash in Dort... I was away for a while, mostly in the countryside. News travels slowly, I guess." She would have asked Arvana more questions, but at that moment Ajiira appeared with two bowls of... rabbit???? Scatha sniffed it; it still smelt delicious, but it sure didn't taste like any rabbit she'd ever eaten. Must be something in the water... still, she wasn't going to complain. Scatha grabbed a spoon and started shovelling it in; it tasted almost as good as the portions from the previous night. By the time Ellena appeared, most of the stew had gone, with the exception of the traces dripping off her chin; Scatha tidied up the thickest bits with her fingers, then rolled the sleeve of Ajiira's blouse and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, then licked it clean. "All neat and tidy," she announced cheerfully, before emitting a satisfied burp. She grinned at Arvana and Ellena; "Well, at least we're alive, and fed, and warm, and clothed... the day can only go downhill from here."

At that moment, the door swung open and two men made their way into the tavern; Scatha assessed them speculatively. Beef to go with the stew.... hmmm. Not bad, but not in the same league as the prince I'm going to marry. Scatha smiled as she saw the blonde haired man gape at Arvana like a moon struck calf; well, I suppose she is quite pretty... for a wood elf. You wait until he asks her the way to somewhere though. Scatha gently poked Arvana in the ribs; "He likes you," she said teasingly. "You should go and ask him his name. Unless you want me to do it for you?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Making sure to tuck into the stew first, Ellena then nodded in agreement with Arvana.

"Yes, I have to admit I feel a lot better about being here after a good night's sleep and some of this stew - things are looking up!"

She turned her attention to her breakfast, at first simply wanting to get rid of her hunger, but then slowing down to savour the delicious rabbit stew and to pay more attention to those around her.

"Things could be a lot worse, I suppose." she said in response to Scatha's cheerful assessment of the situation, "But maybe we'll have some good luck for a change and things won't go downhill!"

Finishing up her stew with a contented sigh, Ellena leaned back in her chair and then, curious to know who Scatha was talking about, glanced casually over her shoulder, trying not to be too obvious. The redhead turned back to her companions and nodded at Arvana.

"Scatha's right," she smiled, "He can't stop staring!"

Post by Guest »

Arvana looks at both girls strangly, then back at the two males. Shaking her head, she dismisses the thought of them looking at her. Surely they couldnt think she was that pretty, when Scatha and Ellena were sitting right in front of her. Taking another bite of her stew, she watches the males again.
"How you know he looking at me? You two, pretty." She asked the girls both the question and statement.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"So are you," Scatha smiled. "And besides, he's not looking at us - he's looking at you. Either that, or he's hungry and wants your stew. More likely he's never seen an elf before, especially a good looking one - remember how that that child acted yesterday when he saw you?" Scatha looked at the two men, and grinned; "Shall I go over and ask him if he wants a taste?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ellena Moliere

Post by Ellena Moliere »

Ellena chuckled at Scatha's response and nodded, glancing back at the two men again briefly.

"Oh, it's definitely you he's interested in!" she smiled, "And he even actually blushes when someone catches him looking!" She couldn't help giggling at the sight of the burly man's embarrassment when his brother nudged him to get his attention and stop him staring. "You should wave or talk to him or something - he won't believe his luck!"

Post by Guest »

Arvana, feeling bold, took the advice of the two girls and pushed back her seat. Turning to the table where the males were seated, she walked over. Smiling and giving a short wave she asked for their names.

"Hello. Would you join us at our table?" She pointed to wear her and the others were seated.

She eyed the younger of the two, the one that was staring at her. He was cute, in his own way, but not like others she has seem, which made him all the cuter. Used to the male elves always flanting their natural good looks, she liked this one, with his small beard.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”