Fronigtalle: Ashilda (Samheen 17th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Anarie Laezuriel

Fronigtalle: Ashilda (Samheen 17th)

Post by Anarie Laezuriel »

Ashilda from: Hunting Plains: Ashilda (Samheen 16th)

Samheen 17th, Morningtide

The sun had made it past it's noon peak as Ashilda made it to the entranceway to the green Valley of Fronigtalle. Gymir's Talon's were the only thing greeting her this day as the only spot where the split apart made way for green grass that on this side of the moutains was only sprinkled with snow.

A bird called from high above her in the sky, as if urging her to get moving. After this she would be an adult in every meaning of the word.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

Ash looked up at the bird's cry, shading her eyes with her hand as she tried to spot it. What sort of bird? she wondered. Dangerous? It wasn't a question she would normally have considered, but she was used to spending most of her time within Rimehold itself. Out here on the side of the mountain alone, she felt small and vulnerable for the first time in her life.

She took a deep breath and a firmer grip on both her new bow and the offerings she brought. She had been longing for this day for so long now. Far too long to give in to the jitters now. She shook herself and stepped forward onto the grass.

Strange, she couldn't help thinking. She had never seen anything like this before, although she had heard stories about the hidden valley all her life. She looked around curiously as she walked, marvelling in the richness of colour surrounding her. Her level of alertness remained high, however, although she doubted that the Goddess would allow harm to come to anyone in this valley. Still, the Goddess also didn't have much patience for fools so it was best not to take chances.

There should be a rock, she remembered from the stories and explanations of the Rite. Looking about her as she made her way into the valley, she tried to figure out where she was meant to go.
Anarie Laezuriel

Post by Anarie Laezuriel »

The natural passageway through the mountains changed in width frequently but was easy to follow. Sometimes it was nearly as wide as three families tents put together, others it was so slim that Ashilda nearly had to force her body through these thin areas. The sun was out, but it seemed bleak and cold . . . as chilled as the mistress that kept these lands.

The bird that had called out it's greeting to the native girl earlier was back again and as it swooped low it called out to her a second time. Finding an outcrop of rock the bird sat and preened itself. It could have almost been a falcon, but it was smaller than that. The majority of it's feathered body was rich brown like soil deep beneath the earth. Iridescent color marked it's underwing feathers. A patch of white the color of fresh snow was on the bird's chest which he puffed out at Ashilda with pride in himself. His swift head looked about quickly, almost jerky in it's movements before his amber eyes settled on the young woman. Cuh Cah Hip Hip Cuh Cah It squawked at her, watching her walk.
Last edited by Anarie Laezuriel on Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda couldn't help admiring the bird, both for its plumage and for its boldness. Still, perhaps it lived here and had every right to be bold - she was the newcomer, after all. She gave a brief nod and kept making her way along the path.

How far? she wondered. It had already taken her longer than she had hoped to come this far, and she was anxious for a glimpse of the Valley. Slipping between another narrow gap in the rocks, she paused to adjust the two rabbits hanging from her belt. They hadn't suffered much from the squeeze, as far as she could tell, but she thanked the Ice Queen that she was a slender girl. How did some of the more heavily-built adolescents manage? Pondering this question, she kept walking.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Finally the walls began to open outward, even as they reached for the sky, and the air around Ashilda began to warm. Soon she found herself walking in Fronigtalle, with it's lush green vegetation and abounding wildlife, separated from the rest of Trothgard by soring cliffs on all sides that made a mere mortal feel infinitesimal by comparison. It was nothing like any other part of Trothgard. Snow did not touch the Valley, even in the depths of winter.

Now the path led Ashilda down into a forest, where it felt like summer and the trees grew larger and taller than she had ever seen before. The undergrowth was like nothing the girl had seen before, as plants were able to grow in this environment that would never survive in the much less hospitable climate of the rest of Trothgard. Wings beating above her told her that the bird had not deserted her, and it called out once again in that unique 'Cuh Cah Hip Hip Cuh Cah' song.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda took a deep breath, marvelling at the rich scents in the air. The lush green surrounding her was startling to someone used to white snows and dark firs, and she took a moment to just stare around in wonder. Truly, this place is blessed by the Goddess, she thought. It possessed a kind of stillness, but one that was nevertheless filled with life and the small rustlings of animals.

Shaking herself out of her reverie, she headed further into the valley. The air was warmer in here, and it felt as though the sun was warmer too, so before she was even halfway to the trees she paused and removed her heavy cloak. Walking a little more freely now, she continued on her way.

As she walked, she couldn't help noticing the variety of plants that grew here. Some of the family elders had taught her about the plants that grew around Rimehold, particularly the ones that had medicinal properties - it was considered knowledge that everyone should have, lest they be away from the settlement and fall ill or get injured. Some of these plants, however, were entirely unfamiliar to her. Knowing that this was hardly the time or place to stop and investigate, she nevertheless wondered if she would ever have a chance to learn more about them.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

Soon the tall trees parted and the path opened onto a lush, green meadow, dotted with wild flowers. At its heart stood the alter, a large flat boulder, upon which offerings to the Ice Queen and her hippogryphs were to be laid.

Ashilda had found the place where she would make her offering and sit vigil until it was accepted or spurned by her Goddess. If it was accepted, Ashilda would meet a hippogryph, who might choose to present her with the feather that would mark her adult status. There was no way to know for certain what would happen or how long it would take, but until the rite was concluded, Ashilda would be alone in fasting and meditation, surrounded by the beauty of Fronigtalle.

Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda had walked through the trees in a sort of dream, amazed by the vibrant colours and the teeming life around her. Her eyes darted everywhere, taking it all in, knowing that the chances of her ever returning to this place after her Rite were fairly slim. Once she reached the edge of the clearing, however, she felt a lump come into her throat. This was where she would make her offering. This was where she would find if she was consider worthy of adult status.

Her stomach was turning somersaults as she walked towards the stone, but her hands were steady as she unfastened the rabbits from her belt. Kneeling in front of the stone, she bowed her head briefly before laying one of them on the sun-warmed surface. "In offering you the result of my first true hunt, my Queen, I offer you myself." The words were a mere murmur escaping her lips, but they rang loudly in her heart and mind. She staying with her head bowed for a moment, then tucked the second rabbit into the shade of the rock. She wasn't sure what would happen if the meat were to spoil in the sun before she could make the second offering.

Sitting back on her heels, she looked around at the clearing before turning her eyes to the sky above. She felt small here, and stripped bare of all pretense. Perhaps her mother was right, perhaps she was too hasty and prideful. It was just that she had such strong belief in herself that it stung her when others didn't share that belief. Shaking her head, she thought, Gracious Goddess, please find me worthy of serving you. The thought drifted in her mind for a while, before being replaced by calm acceptance. Whatever happened, she would always be herself.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

As she laid her offering to the Ice Queen on the stone, her companion, the bird, took up vigil nearby, giving out one last call, as if letting her know that he was there.

Time became immeasurable. Only the changing light in the valley suggested it's passage, as the girl, on the verge of womanhood, sat in deep prayer and meditation. Darkness began to grow, and then moonlight replaced sunlight, giving the valley a cool, quiet feeling. Yet, the cold of the night was nothing to that of beyond the protecting walls of rock that encircled Fronigtalle.

In her deep meditation, Ashilda was temporarily free from the distractions of cold and hunger, but fatigue was beginning to take it's toll.

Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda sat for a time in quiet contemplation, her surroundings fading from her consciousness as she meditated. It was one of the few skills that her mother had agreed to teach her in preparation for her eventual training in runecraft - probably in the hope that it would steady her headstrong daughter. That hadn't exactly come to pass, but the skill stood her in good stead now as she slowed her breathing and retreated from awareness of her surroundings. If she were to be attacked here, so be it, but she put her faith in the Ice Queen to keep her safe as she made the transition from girl to woman.

When her awareness finally returned to the physical, it was with a start as her head jerked forward. Had she started to doze? She shook her head as she looked around, hoping to clear it. It was night now, but night without the biting cold that she was used to. She pulled her cloak around her shoulders once more and settled back into the comfortable position she had adopted. Slipping back into the meditative state would not be as easy this time, but she concentrated on divorcing herself first from her surroundings before trying to divorce herself from her own body.

Breathe in. For my Queen. Breath out. For the Clan. Breathe in. For my Queen. Breath out. For the Clan. Breathe in. For my Queen. Breath out. For the Clan. Breathe in. For my Queen. Breath out. For the Clan.

It was a simple enough exercise - concentrating on her breathing and on the simple repetition of words that helped both to time the breaths and to occupy the mind away from trivialities. It had always worked for her in the past when she had deliberately tried to put herself into the meditative trance.

Post by Guest »

The shimmering and darkened blue spill of moonlight upon the distant peaks of the snow-capped mountains called Gymir's Talons glazed before Ashilda's eyes as she fell into deep meditation once again. Slowly, ever so slowly, or perhaps faster than a flake of snow would melt in the the green vale of Fronigtalle, the light changed again with another pending morning.

While the sun of Trothgard only warmed properly in the few weeks of summer, Ashilda felt the heat of its first beams penetrate her back where she sat beside the stone. The lush greeness of Fronigtalle spread out before her eyes. On the horizon rested the Talons as steadily as they always had. The snow covering their towering peaks glinted in cerise with the caress of the sun rising in the east.

But still her offer lay unclaimed on the stone, still in the shade of night. Inch for inch, the young girl, on the verge of womanhood, could see the sun climb the stone, feeling its embrace climbing also her back and neck, until finally it reached the rabbit. The fur glittered for a moment as the light caught hold of it. And then ... just then ... came a familiar cry.

"Cuh Cah Hip Hip Cuh Cah!"

But as of yet the Ice Queen had not accepted Ashilda's offer. It was only for the girl to wonder why. Beneath the surface lured thirst and hunger accompanied by fatigue.
Ashilda da'Svafa

The rising o fthe sun brought Ashilda out of her reverie, and she sat and watched as it climbed over the mountains that surrounded her. Different from the play of light on crystaline snow that she was used to, it was nonetheless aweinspiring to see the clear light spill across this strange green valley. Although she didn't think she would ever grow used to seeing so much colour in the landscape, she still found it strikingly beautiful. Even the land and the sun give praise to the Goddess, she thought to herself.

Her glance fell to the rabbit lying on the stone, and she suppressed a disappointed sigh. She knew that everyone had to wait for a different time before their offering was accepted, but how long should she wait before she admitted failure? The thought hardened something in her. I will never admit to failure, she pledged herself. I will collapse where I sit before I will accept that my Queen truly does not want me to serve her.

She turned sharply at the sound of the bird that had followed her the previous day, and quickly put out a hand to steady herself as the sudden movement was accompanied by a bout of dizziness. "I will sit here," she said, half to the feathered watcher but mostly to herself. "I will sit and fast and pray to my Queen that she find me worthy of serving her. For that is all I've ever wanted."

The words hung in the still air for a moment, and she chuckled ruefully. It was impossible to dissemble here, in this place that was touched by the Ice Queen's majesty. With a small sigh, she murmured, "No, that's not true. I wanted the power for myself as well, that others would look at me and call me great. But now I look at that wish and see it as the folly of youth that my mother always felt it was. What greater reward could there be than serving You, my Queen? Anushka was right not to agree to teach me until I could be truly called a woman. Perhaps she knew that I would find understanding here. Did You tell her that, my Queen?" She felt light-headed from lack of food and sleep, but she was determined not to succumb. The sound of her own voice would help to keep her awake amid the soothing rustle of leaves that surrounded her, so she continued in the dreamy murmur she had fallen into.

"It is a strange time for all of us lately. Aesa off to wed in a strange land, no more raids of the other islands... Many folk wonder if it could possibly be that we go against Your will. But that is impossible. You have always looked after us, and if such decisions did not find favour with You I can't believe that You would simply turn Your back on us without giving us some sort of sign. Now I wish only to do Your bidding. I know that I am young yet, and untried, but I will grow and learn. I have no idea what it is that You will wish of me, but how I can I do anything of worth if I must return to the Clan and tell them I did not find enough of Your favour to grant me adult status? I should have to leave this land, and I pray that this is not what you have planned for me..." She trailed off, lost in thoughts of how much she loved her wild and rugged homeland. It was not always a kind place, but it was her home and the domain of the goddess she worshipped. She had no wish to leave, especially if such leaving must be permanent, but she wasn't sure that she would be able to stay in Rimehold if she must be seen forever as a child in a woman's body.

Post by Guest »

The verdurous ripeness of Fronigtalle was indeed a wonder in lands surrounded by floes and hummocks and incessantly clad in the white of ice and snow. Fronigtalle was the fertile valley of the Ice Queen's hippogryphs; the graceful creatures perching on the cliffs of the mountainsides circling the sprouting enclave.

The bird fluttered a moment in the air before Ashilda, then, with the coming of a warm breeze, flew off, leaving the girl once again alone by the stone with her offerings. The sunlight climbed another inch forward on the stone.

All was still.

Then, out of the green emerged a speck of white on the horizon. It grew. And grew. Until its contures finally manifested for Ashilda eyes to perceive. It was a hippogryph. With the calm energy of an intelligent being, it flew towards the offering stone in the middle of the vale. Where Ashilda sat. Straight towards her. Its snow-white fur glinted in the morning light as its large eyes settled on the young girl while its impressive wings took it closer. And closer. Even from far away, Ashilda could see its eyes intent on hers.

With astonishing control and grace, it finally reached her and landed just beside her. Her offering on the stone, for the Ice Queen and not the hippogryphs, lay unclaimed. Ashilda felt its soft fur against her arm as it looked into her eyes. As if to tell something with eyes that Ashilda could not help but notice were concerned.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda's eyes widened as the snow-white hippogryph glided towards her and landed in the clearing where she sat. She had barely noted the huge creatures since her arrival, her attention being focussed somewhat closer at hand. Now, however, the majestic creature filled almost all of her consciousness as it peered at her from a short distance away. This must be how a rabbit feels when it sees a hawk watching it, she thought with some trepidation. Then again, it hadn't tried to catch her up in its claws and hawks didn't tend to announce themselves to their prey before pouncing.

She risked taking her eyes off it for a flicker, glancing instead towards the stone. Her offering was still unchanged, and she turned back to the hippogryph with a worried frown. "That one's not for you," she said softly, hoping it understood. "I don't think I'm supposed to give you yours yet." Its fur brushed against her, a soft tickle of sensation, and she forced herself to meet its gaze - disconcerting when that gaze came from a creature large enough to make a meal of her and still have room for more. It didn't seem threatening though. It looks worried, she thought.

The young woman bit her lip gently as she pondered this for a moment, then she asked hesitantly, "Can I help you?" The words sounded silly in her own ears, but she knew that the hippogryphs were more than mere animals. They were the Ice Queen's own creatures, and as such she reasoned that they might be intelligent enough to understand human speech. At least, she hoped they did, since having a large raptor watching her with such concern was rather unnerving.

Post by Guest »

Innumerable tips of innumerable snow-white hairs scintillated silvery in the morning sun. At the other end of the light blue heavens sat a sliver of a remaining moon. The temperate air was quiet. Yet it was somehow woozy - somehow dizzy in its quality. The foliate valley around Ashilda seemed to flicker for a moment before her eyes. The small circle of sparkling stones - crystals - surrounding the altar by which the young woman sat, gleamed in cold valour. But Ashilda's first offering lay untouched.

The hippogryph did not alter its glance as the young woman looked away for a moment. Nor did it as she spoke. Its eyes were understanding in their clear, bright glaze. But it did not... speak. Nor move.

"Cuh Cah Hip Hip Cuh Cah!"

However, this was not the squawk of the happy bird that had entertained Ashilda on her way here to the centre of the Fronigtalle. It was, indeed, the same bird- but the tone was another. Darker, less joyful. Even urgent in its fading as the wings carried the little bird away from Ashilda's view.

Finally the hippogryph moved. Its body, half eagle half horse, turned with a surprising grace. Eagle wings flapped slightly as if to signal flight. A gentle breath of air passing over the young Trothgarder said everything about the strength of those wings. Moving so that its back was aside Ashilda, it turned to look at her again, then to its own back in a signalling gesture. With the calm, gentle eyes so surprising for such a creature. Its gaze fell momentarily on the offering intended for the Ice Queen, downcast - then washed over Ashilda with sympathy. And hope. A glimmer of hope.

Again the ripeness of the green sea encapsulated by Gymir's Talons seemed to flicker. The hippogryph blinked.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda held her breath as the huge creature regarded her, the stillness in the clearing feeling like a combination of a challenge and a promise. When the bird that had been following her gave its strange cry, she couldn't keep herself from startling at the breaking of the silence. There was something disturbing in that cry.

She resisted the urge to scurry backwards as the hippogryph moved, but her eyes widened in wonder as it turned its back to her and looked over its shoulder expectantly. Hardly daring to entertain the notion, she breathed, "You'll let me touch you? You'll let me ride you?" The thought was ludicrous, but the creature's gesture was unmistakable. She fiddled with the end of one of her braids as she thought about what was being offered to her.

Some of the old stories and legends spoke of people being allowed to ride one of these mighty servants of the Ice Queen. These people, however, were usually ones who had been chosen by the Ice Queen and gifted with her favour. How could this apply to her, when her first offering was still untouched? Yet the way the hippogryph glanced at the rabbit on the stone, she couldn't help but feel that it understood her concern. Was there a reason why her offering hadn't been accepted yet? Would she find the answer if she accepted the offer before her?

Perhaps the Ice Queen has sent it, she thought, a surge of joy rising in her. I don't know why, but perhaps she has heard my prayer and has decided there is another place I need to be first. The thought was encouraging, and she almost jumped up right there and then. She remembered in time, however, that it was considered unwise to startle a hippogryph and held herself to a slow, graceful rise. Before she stepped forward, she retrieved the second rabbit from the shade under the stone and took a careful step towards the huge creature.

"I don't know if it's proper to do it in this order," she murmured. "If you would bear me, however, you ought to receive something in return. Will you accept this?" She held the rabbit out to the creature, waiting to see if it would take it or merely gesture her towards its back again. If it didn't seem inclined to take the offering now, she decided that she would fasten it to her belt again and take it with her in case her mount grew hungry later.
Last edited by Ashilda da'Svafa on Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The hippogryph regarded Ashilda's offer for a moment, its radiating gaze also briefly touching the altar stone and the remaining rabbit. Then, with a quick motion, Ashilda's offer was out of her hand and in the large creature's beak. Next moment, the hippogryph had swept Ashilda onto its back in apparent hurry. Three leaps forward, and they were in the air.

The fur was warm and soft, the wings immensely powerful in their swings each side of Ashilda, and the eagle head held high. But more spectacular was the rush of hot wind, and the flurry of verdurous ripeness of Fronigtalle as it in flickers became a smaller and smaller patch in a larger and larger canyon. It was as if it blinked out of existence even before the eye should expect it to, as if the cold, grey mountains swallowed its power even before it disappeared in the harsh embrace of snow-clad ridges. The hot air froze, but the hippogryph remained warm beneath Ashilda.

Before the young woman, to all sides, spread a golden desert which in its infinity only could be compared with the sea. Golden-red drops verging on and merging with ice blue crystals marked a horizon not limited by any angle. The glittering, bright splendour of the shimmering colours of sun meeting sky disclosed themselves past the hippogryph's wings and beak and hoofs. Gymir's Talons seemed ice crystals in an ocean of ice gleaming in red, and gold, and light blue. Occasionally the sun rose up before Ashilda, sizzling and blistering, forcing her eyes to avert its overwhelming radiation. Time became immeasurable.

Then, with no forewarning, the hippogryph dived. The Talons shot out of the ground in flickers like the saxifrages do in days each spring to embrace the feeble, brief warmth the Northern Isle offered each yahren.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda felt oddly gratified when the hippogryph snatched the offering out of her hand, but didn't have time to dwell on the emotion as she was swept onto its back a moment before it launched itself skywards. It felt as though her stomach were still on the ground behind her, so rapidly had she risen, and the air pressed into her with amazing force. She dug her fingers in aongst its fur for whatever added stability that gave her.

As the climb evened out, she risked a look down and felt her heart leap into her throat. The peaks of the mountains was below her and the ground seemed impossibly far away. She swallowed, blinking her eyes against the wind. Looking around instead, she marvelled at the great expanse of sky in all its splendor. This was a view worth flying for, she decided.

The gentle rocking of the hippogryph's flight was oddly soothing, and after a while Ashilda's fear slipped away. Of course she wasn't going to fall. She was here for a reason, and she truly doubted that she had offended the Ice Queen to the point where Trothgard's guardien would want her dropped onto the ridges of Gymir's Talons. She smiled wryly at the thought. Her hands were warm where they were wound into the creature's fur, and she silently prayed that they would reach their destination before she succumbed to fatigue and tumbled off.

The next moment it seemed as though her prayer had been answered as her strange steed suddenly plunged towards the mountains. Her fingers instinctively twisted a better hold in the fur. A scream caught in her throat, pushed back by the rush of air. She squeezed her eyes shut, her mind fantically gabbling prayers to the Ice Queen that she reach the ground safely.

Post by Guest »

The snow-capped mountains called Gymir's Talons grew to fill Ashilda's vision quicker than the air rushed by her ears. The dots of slate among the glittering white snow became violent rock formations so steep or lying so sheltered that the drift of snow would not penetrate. The vast areas of whiteness seemed an avalanche for all their stillness, such was the speed of the hippogryph's plunge.

Its long neck stretched in enjoyment, and the wings lay close to the hippgryph's sides. Whatever the worry of Ashilda, her huge mount handled gusts of extra wind elegantly, keeping to the exact same course as it had started out on. At the same neckbreaking speed.

With every flicker they seemed to come a thousand times closer the ground. The landscape beneath became a flurry of blending colours - Ashilda no longer able to distinguish between snow and rock. Then the hippogryph's long neck also entered the dizziness... and blackened. All blackened.

Cold. Freezing cold. The air was crisp and hard. A biting wind chilled Ashilda's lips. Yet out of the sterile hardness came a familiar waft. The waft of moss campions. Her head rested in a little bed of the purpled flowers. From far away, distantly, came a the hollow shout of a man, reaching for Ashilda.

But all these were secondary. For in the back of her mind, carved out, were two symbols. In the darkness they shimmered. One a vertical line with a semi-circle attached to its lower left part. The other a bottomless triangle. Ashilda recognized them as runes, but knew nothing of their meaning. They were real, but at the same only illusory. Illusory, but at the same time real.

Again came the distant shout. Perhaps a fraction closer this time?
Ashilda da'Svafa

As Ashilda lay with her head cradled by the patch of flowers, she tried to sort out her memories of that wild plunge from the skies. She remembered the sensation that she had left her insides behind again - this time leaving them in the clouds as she returned to the ground - and watching over her mount's shoulder as the crags of the mountains rushed closer and closer. She wasn't sure what happened next, however.

The shapes of runes were etched in the darkness behind her eyes, tantalising her with questions. What did they mean? Why could she picture them so clearly? Her brows drew together in a small frown as her musing was interrupted by a shout. They shouldn't yell like that, she thought muzzily. They'll disturb the...

She sat up with a start and looked around for her companion. Would it have stood guard over her while she... slept? Or would it be gone on its own errands? If it was gone, she would have to call back and attract the attention of whoever it was that was nearby.

Post by Guest »

"Easy, easy." A pair of hands took hold of Ashilda's shoulders as she sat up violently. A spot of cold hit on her forehead. Then the cold melted and a drop of water poured down onto the young woman's left eye. The runes were gone from her mind, leaving only a vibrating impression slowly fading.

"Easy."

(OOC: Nicely done! We'll continue here: Grimkell: Ashilda (Samheen 18th))

Return to “Trothgard Archive”