Hunting Plains: Scatha, Arvana, Brynhild (Samheen 15th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Zhavon Mikhalrian

Hunting Plains: Scatha, Arvana, Brynhild (Samheen 15th)

Post by Zhavon Mikhalrian »

(Scatha/Arvana/Brynhild from: Rimehold, Bergliin Tents: Miscellaneous (Samheen 15th))

Samheen 15th, Tradetide

With the preparations completed, and Arvana and Scatha both outfitted for the trip, the quintet set off from Rimehold to the Hunting Grounds with the good natured cheers and waves of those out and about. Large, hooded fur jackets and fur and leather leggings for both the foreigners had been supplied, as well as mittens, scarves and fur lined boots. They'd both been loaned bows and quivers of arrows, and spears if they had stated a preference for one. Lirahn, Evan and Brynhild naturally had all of their own equipment and clothing and required nothing more than rations and the camping gear on the possibility that they might stay out overnight.

They were roughly a mark just outside Rimehold, trudging through the snow towards the Hunting Grounds. Lirahn was singing some bawdy ballad about a fair lass of Trothgardian heritage, apparently in much better spirits now that he was away from Hex's cruel teasing. Evan had taken up position between Scatha and Arvana, trying to describe elk as best as he could, surprised to learn that Scatha was not familiar with them. "They're like deer, only larger and sturdier, and slimmer than deer. And they have these great big antlers on their heads that can spear a man if he gets too close," he was saying, pausing to wink at them as he continued. "I've done my fair share of battling them, bringing in many to feed the clans single handedly..."

Brynhild knew better than that, of course. No one went hunting by themselves, the danger of ice trolls was too great, even this far south of the mountains. He was clearly boasting to impress the two ladies with his prowess. Even Lirahn stopped to look at his brother, brows lifted in dubious amusement.
Last edited by Zhavon Mikhalrian on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha pulled the gorgeous hooded cloak about her, enjoying the sensation of softness and warmth. I could use something like this for Dort in the winter... she walked easily, enjoying the sensation of being in the fresh air, taking in her surroundings. Everything was different - the trees, the grass (what there was of it), the smell and the taste and the feel of the air - even the landscape, sharp and clear as spring water, unlike the mist shrouded hills and mountains of Dort. "This is quite a country you have," she remarked cheerfully, scuffing one fur lined boot against the haft of the spear she'd taken. Scatha had chosen not to take the bow and arrow; that was an art she didn't know, and she wasn't going to spoil someone elses hunting expedition and be shown up because she didn't know how to twang a bit of cord. Of course, she didn't really know how to use a spear either, but then how difficult could that be? You just ran up to something and stuck the spear into it. Easy. She listened with bemusement to Evan telling her about the elks; "If they're grazing animals, and they're easy to kill, why haven't your people domesticated them, and then herd them?" she mused. Scatha glanced down at the cold earth beneath her feet; "Or doesn't the land lend itself to grazing?"
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

Post by Brynhild da`Waelkyrige »

Brynhild elbowed her cousin sharply in the ribs. "Lirahn! You're going to scare off every elk in the nearest three markers! And that's not the kind of song to sing when women are about," she chided him playfully. She may not yet have her feather, but she was still a young woman and kin to him as well, so she could be freer with him than she could be with the others.

As they trudged along through the slush towards the Hunting Grounds, she listened to Evan's explanation of what an elk is and guffawed as he described going after them single-handedly. "Ah, men," she said with a laugh. "These elk are so big that it takes two men, or at least a man with a big ol' sledge and some dogs or a pony to haul away the carcass." She surveyed the hunting party with an eye that had quickly grown practiced in the art. There would be plenty of manpower to haul away a good-sized bull to supply meat for the settlement for a week or more.

As she listened to Scatha's queries, she shook her head. "These beasts are far too wild to domes..., domesti...," and she kept stumbling over the unfamiliar word. "Do you mean tame them?" she asked incredulously. She shook her head vehemently. "These beasts are far to wild to tame. Goats and sheep are better, and valuable for their wool. The grazing ain't too good this far north," she added.

Post by Guest »

Arvana slowly trudges along, not used to the hooded jacket. Not having to have to wear jackets such as these, at home, it weighs her down slightly. She has the bow lent to her from Brynhild, slung over her shoulder, along with a quiver or arrows.

She walks along to the sound of Lirahn's singing, or more so, tunelessly singing. Humming to herself, the song she chooses a song that her mother used to sing to her when she was younger. When Evan tells her story, she listens quietly and with much interest. Never before had she heard of a single man taking down anything bigger then a rabbit, by himself.

Arvana has remained quiet, throughout most of the trip so far, but speaks up in response to the conversation on Elks. "I believe what you are saying, Brynhild. It colder here, then other places. Grass and such grow less, no?"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha nodded; "Breed the wildness out of them. Take a couple of calves, start from there. Might take five, maybe ten generations... but after that, you've got a baseline for a herd. Got to have patience... and resist the temptation to eat 'em, and make 'em into leather and bones." Scath looked around again, registering the cold air, the pockets of frost and the hard-as-iron earth beneath her feet; "Course, you'd need pastures, and fences big enough to keep 'em in." She listened to Arvana, and nodded; "I guess its too cold for pastures here. Hey, Arvana - you never said where you came from. Whats it like? Cold, like here?"

Post by Guest »

Arvana listens carefully to Scatha and answers the questions as best as she can. "I born in a small city on Pan Isle. It warm there. No need for heavy coats like this." She points to the jackets her and Scatha wore. "I liked it there. Nice. Quiet. Here, nosiy." She mainly thinks about the Tents and such. "Oh well. You? You from Dort right? I there. Met lotsa people."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"I have a friend who came from Pan's Island." Scatha said reflectively. "An elf, like yourself... I miss him." Scatha walked in silence for a while, reflecting on the others - Darkwood, Lorannon, Azrael - and wondered whatever had become of them. They're probably still lost in Dort, if Darkwood is leading them... She wrinkled her nose, again registering the cold sharp air, and the scent of Trothgard; "How about you, Brynhild? Have you ever been to Pan's Isle?"

Zhavon Mikhalrian

Lirahn's singing ceased as Brynhild scolded him. But only to start laughing merrily at his cousin's declaration that the elk would have disappeared because of it. "Come now, Bryn! You know as well as I do that the elk wouldn't roam this close to Rimehold." No matter, he burst into singing again, sidling up to Arvana and wrapping an arm about her to continue on in his tale of the gorgeous, fair Hanne who had all the men in Trothgard wrapped about her pretty, little finger. The lyrics continued in detail discussing what sort of competitions she put the men through to win her affections.

Evan pondered on Scatha's question for a moment or two, despite Brynhild's doubts of his hunting prowess or her chiding of his brother's awful singing. "Well, elk eat a lot and will eat anything, as far as we can tell. I don't think we could ever build an enclosement that's big enough that would feed the elk and keep them safe." In other words, he thought it was pretty much a waste of time and no one even wanted to attempt do it.

Upon Arvana's quiet voice lighting up in conversation, Lirahn paused in his singing. His proximity and his boisterous song could drown her out and that wasn't precisely what he wanted to do. Not to mention, he was certainly curious in what she had been humming herself. "What was that song, Arvana?" Whatever it was, it was probably a lot better than his tale of Hanne.

The conversation did well to keep them all from thinking about the distancing they were traveling, as well as the crisp, cold air about them. The three natives were used to the clime, and perhaps even to the treks to and from the Hunting Grounds, but the visitors were another story altogether. Evan cleared his throat, hoping to seize a pause in the conversation. "Let me know if you two lovely ladies need a rest. I wouldn't want to tire you out before we get to the real action!"

"Don't listen to him, he'll tucker out before we even reach the Grounds and then he'll belly ache about the distance and his sore feet." Lirahn's face scrunched up in mock disdain as he viewed his sibling. "But please, tell us more about your homelands, where are they in relation to Trothgard?"

Post by Guest »

Arvana lets Lirahn put his arm around her, as she actually likes him and his brother. She looks to his face and a smile lightens her features. "A song my moma used to sing to me. 'Course, it difficult to translate to human tongue, but I try." She sings quietly, as she is used to. Not having had people listen to her singing before, she is a bit shy.
"I know my dear child, that life seems pretty dim. But hold on to this life,
you're fighting to win." She pauses a bit, then continues. "You have gotten this far and farther you'll go. I'll be here to help, just never let go."
She smiles a bit, then looks down to the ground. "I know, bad. But that just some. I not able to translate the rest. I know that much, cause moma used to sing it in human tongue." She hopes that he likes it. One of her favourite songs.

(OOC: That is copywrited. I wrote it myself. It is actually a full song, one that I am most proud of. I write alot of songs, and poems so if you ever need help in that area, ask me. I even have a few published! I hope you like it.)
Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

"Evan's right about them eating," she piped up. "They're big animals and there just isn't enough good fodder to keep them close about." Then she paused as she heard Scatha's question about Pan's Isle. "I've never been any farther than Grimkell, which is up in the foothills of Gymir's Talons." She looked inquisitively at her new companion. "What's it like there?" But before Scatha could answer, Arvanna began to sing softly, a lullaby in her halting, elvish-accented speech. "That's beautiful," she remarked, entranced by the soft delicacy of the song. "Do sing us the rest, even if we can't understand it."
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha listened to Arvana sing; thats pretty... maybe she can lull these elk to sleep, and then we can stick spears in them. That's unless they hear us coming, and just run off. "I'd love to hear the rest of it," she said softly, smiling at Aravna. "But I don't want to risk scaring these elks off." Scatha looked at Lirahn; "Have we far to travel? And how good is their hearing?"

Post by Guest »

Arvana nods and smiles. "I believe Scatha, Right. I no want to scare Elk away with singing. I'll be quiet now." She looks back down at her feet, still trudging along with the rest of the group. She listens to everyone talk, not really feeling like talking herself.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

Lirahn's smile was wide as Arvana sang for them all. They had all fallen reverently silent as she began, her voice soft and shy, though it only added to the appeal of the song. Adding his appreciation to Brynhild's, he nodded emphatically, drawing away from her a moment and pausing in his trek through the frigid lands. "Please, Arvana, continue." His entreaty was earnest, his face touched with a shade of admiration for the quiet Adhiel. Enraptured, he seemingly ignored the fact Scatha was trying to talk to him and was asking if they would scare the elk off from a soft lullaby.

His brother, however, just guffawed from the obvious affection in which Lirahn had been trying to coerce Arvana into singing. If the lullaby hadn't frightened off the elk, than it was certain that Evan's boisterous laughter would. He too seemed to have stopped, if only to put the Adhiel on the spot for another song. Looking back to Scatha, he smiled and shrugged. "I don't know about their hearing, but we're still a ways away from the grounds, as I reckon it. As Lirahn said earlier, they wouldn't be this close too Rimehold. Smells too much like people, I think."

He turned and linked arms with his cousin, his expression still as jovial as before. "Bryn's just too tired to make it all the way to the grounds, I think." Evan winked at Scatha before craning his head to look at the woman beside him. "Aren'tcha, Bryn?"
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"Oh well, if we've a way to go, then let's have another song," Scatha said with a smile. "Something a bit more cheerful, though." In all honesty, Scatha was enjoying walking; it was what she was used to in Dort, and besides there were so many different things to look and see - birds, the trees, even the grass was different from Dort, or the Citadel, or Brie. She ran a thoughtful finger along the edge of the spear head, checking it for sharpness; "Do we throw these, or just run up and stick them in?" she asked...

Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

She cuffed Evan playfully on the shoulder. "I bet I could run all the way to the Hunting Grounds and still not be tired." Then she loped off as if to prove it, but soon returned, not wanting to tire out the visitors in keeping up with her.

"Evan," she said in challenge, "I'll race you to that rock over there," and she pointed out to a good sized boulder ahead of them. "First one back gets first dibs on the kill." Then she turned to Scatha. "Would you be our starter?" she asked.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"I can do better than that," Scatha said cheerfully, dropping her spear and loosening her cloak so that it fell to the ground. "I'll beat you both. GO!" With that, Scatha sprinted for the boulder as fast she could...

Post by Guest »

Arvana watches the three talk about racing. When Scatha takes off, she hopes that the others will soon follow. Under her breath, she slowly counts until they all reach the rock, then she gives each their time. She grins and sees the others having fun. "Next time you race, I join. I bet you all!" She giggles and hugs Evan.
Zhavon Mikhalrian

The spearhead was quite sharp, of good iron and bite into her fingertip from her careless pressure. It was just a slight nick, though Evan seemed to think that it was going to be the death of poor Scatha. Seizing her hand abruptly, he applied pressure to the wound with one finger. "You're supposed to throw them, not slash yourself up with them..." He sounded slightly aggrieved.

Though, his attentions of Scatha were perhaps sincere and genuinely concerned, it was in no time that Brynhild was declaring a race and that the entire trio was dashing for the selected rock. He had not replied to Brynhild and instead just took off after Scatha, long legs stretching to carry him as quickly as they could. They reached the rock, Scatha first, who had her head start, Brynhild second and much to Evan's chagrin, himself coming in last.

Lirahn whooped and cheered them all on with Arvana, laughing just as much as she had at the end. "What was that about Bryn being tired, Evan? I think they both showed you, eh?" Bending down, he collected Scatha's discarded belongings and moveds towards where the other three had gathered in their out of breath recoveries.

Evan sniffed indignantly, eyeing his sibling with mock disdain. "I had all of my gear on... and she cheated!" His defense did nothing more than to incite another round of laughter at his expense.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

"Thanks," Scatha smiled at Lirahn, retrieving her cloak and spear from him, and taking a moment to catch her breath. She turned to see Brynhild beat Evan into last place, and grinned as she heard his protestations; "Sounds like sour grapes to me," she said with a wink. "I just hope that the elks move as slowly - that way we'll be able to herd them up and drive the lot of them back to Trothgard! Speaking of which - shouldn't we be moving on?" Scatha was actually quite keen to see an elk, and compare it with the cattle of Dort...

Zhavon Mikhalrian

Still breathing hard, Evan doubled over with his hands on his knees, he could only glare at the others for their teasing of his unwarranted boasting. Scatha put the cap on the entire affair with the elk comment, however. He lifted his torso and stalked towards her, arms reaching about her waist to hoist her off the ground. "You're the only one who'll be herded up and driven back to Rimehold, Scatha..." His voice trailed off laughingly, though his antics made at the very least his brother laugh.

Provided the struggling from the girl wasn't -too- much, Evan swung Scatha up over his shoulder as if he were a barbarian going to take his new claim to the alter.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

Scatha emitted an ear piercing shriek as Evan hauled her up and over his shoulder; "Put me DOWN!" He was much bigger and stronger than her, and she quickly realised that it would take more than brute strength to get free. With a smile, Scatha took the haft of the spear and stuck it between Evan's legs in an attempt to trip him over...

Zhavon Mikhalrian

((OOC: I don't know where Arvana and Brynhild have gone, but I'm not going to be holding you up, wyrdgirluk to wait for them, again.))

Scatha's screeching caused all of those present to cringe with the volume and pitch that she expertly wielded. It even seemed as though Evan would drop her just to cover his ears, but the scream was too short lived for that and he turned about to look at the others. Proudly, it would seem as though the barbarian was going to be hauling off his latest catch back to Rimehold. However, while walking down along the path, his jovial voice commenting lightly, "You're going to have to ask me a good deal nicer than that, Scatha," the girl in question thought to rescue herself.

The spear did as she had hoped, snapping at the force and then the weight of their combined forms tumbling onto the ground. They landed in a somewhat comical, but compromising position, Scatha held on her back beneath Evan's form. It took him a few flickers to realize what had happened, and where he was, and when he did, his face took on the most curious shade of crimson, much to the amusement of everyone else. "Er... Ah..." The fall seemed to have effected his speech capabilities, as well as his motor skills as that he couldn't quite spit out what he wanted to say, nor move from his hands and knees position above her.
wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

OOC : no probs - I am sure the others will be back soon :)

Scatha grinned as the spear caught between Evan's legs, and sent him tumbling. What she hadn't counted on were his attempts to correct his balance, and to her outrage and embarrassment she found herself flat on her back, with the considerable muscular weight of Evan directly on top of her. He seemed quite at loss for words; so was Scatha, with most of the air knocked out of her. All she could do was emit a hiss like an outraged polecat, and try and scrabble her way back up to a sitting position; unfortunately, the first thing she could grab hold of was Evan's ears, and the action of trying to drag herself upright simply forced his face into her not inconsiderable bosom. Scatha emitted another ear piercing shriek as she felt Evan's beard tickling her; "Get OFF me!" she exclaimed, following it with a firm and well placed clip around his ear...

Post by Guest »

(OOC: Errr....my stupid internet is a piece of crap!! Can I post at a later date? Just say that I am still tagging along, if there are anymore posts shortly before mine. THanks'!!)
Brynhild da`Waelkyrige

OOC: I'm still here -- just got caught up in the search for a lost parrot and a singularly nasty head cold *hack, cough, choke, wheeze*

Brynhild tore in well in front of her cousin and was busy catching her breath when Scatha made her jibe about the elk moving as slowly as he did. As Evan hoisted Scatha over his shoulders, Brynhild joined in with her loud shriek. "That's no way to treat a visitor!" she yelled at him, then watched as Scatha took out her own revenge on his rough handling. As the two tumbled down and landed in a compromising position, Brynhild broke out into hysterical laughter. "Now, if you two would like to enjoy one another's company a little more, I think you might want to go back to Rimehold and find a vacant tent. As for me, I'm off to hunt."

Return to “Trothgard Archive”