Gymir's Talons: Scatha (Samheen 18th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

wyrdgirluk
Tazlure Supporter

Post by wyrdgirluk »

The journey back to Rimehold was uneventful, and before she knew it Scatha was standing outside the mother house. It didn't look much, especially after the grand buildings of the Citadel and Dort, but Scatha knew that it housed the Kona, the supreme authority of Trothgard, and her council of wise-women... and she had to go in there and face them. It'll be just like talking to my aunts, she said to herself - then, taking a deep breath, she went inside.

It was warm and dry, and oddly shadowy; the only source of light were torches, and a central fire. There was something else, too; a strange, heavy scent of some herb that Scatha recognised, but didn't know the name of. And around the fire there was a half circle of old, hairy women with gimlet eyes, all staring at her... Scatha felt an icicle tingle of fear trace up her spine as she tried to smile, scanning around for a familiar or friendly face - but there none. On closer inspection, some of the woman around the circle weren't that old - some seemed just a little older than herself - but none of them extended her a welcoming smile in return.

Scatha was just about to turn and make a run for it when her eye was caught by a blonde-grey haired woman, sat upon an elevated chair covered with soft furs. She was a striking woman in any sense of the word, but most startling about her were her eyes - like cold, blue chips of ice with fire set within, almost unearthly. One glance from those eyes drove any thoughts of running from her mind, and somehow - and without knowing exactly why - Scatha started to tell the waiting women what had happened to her, describing the hippogryph and Deia and the strange, lush valley she had found in the very heart of the mountains. Occasionally the Kona would stop her, quesrying some detail that seemed vitally imporant to her, and would then instruct Scatha to continue.

When all her words had run out, Scatha stood there panting quietly, feeling quite drained. Still think this is like being caught by your aunts? a small voice whispered in her head. This is worse than being caught outside with no clothes on by your Aunt Morrigan... Scatha shook her head to focus her thoughts as the Kona addressed her, something about the valley - Fronnigtale? - being destroyed. That would be the valley you fell to, the voice in her head whispered to her. That would be the odd shimemring you saw, as if it were not real... Then Scatha realised that the Lona was talking directly to her, and concentrated on her words; ... spread the tale ... messenger ... embassy of Trothgard... Aesa d'Yrsa... A hundred questions rushed into Scatha's head, conusing her dreadfully, and as she tried to shout them down and bring them into some sort of order, the Kona rose from her chair and walked into the back where a curtain seperated a small aclove from the rest of the room.

Behind the curtain stood two pillars with a little bow spanning them, encrusted with gems and runes, forming a dooropening of some kind. Scatha's eyes widened; she'd seen something like it before, in the Citadel, and just outside the halfling village - a golden gate, like the one that she and Darkwood and Lorannon had travelled though before! The Kona beckoned to her to apprach, and Scatha came forward hesitantly, not even looking at the other wise-women that were in the room, just looking at the gate and the whirling, shimmering darkness that lay beyond it.

Once close to the Kona, Scatha saw that she held out something to her, something for Scatha to take. It was a crystal, cold and hard and perfect, like a tear frozen in ice. yet capable of creating a thousand rainbow hues from the flickering lames of the fire. Scatha looked at at the Kona; "This will proof that you speak for the Kona. Nobody can take a crystal of this clarity from Trothgard without our permission. If Aesa thinks this is wise it may serve the mages of the University of Magick." The Kona looked at Scatha, and she felt oddly lightheaded, as if there was some strange power in the Kona's icy eyes; "GO, the ambassador awaits you."

Scatha took one last look about the mother house and Trothgard, then back at the golden gate... then, taking a deep breath, she stepped into the portal....

OOC : if you could let me know where to pick up my next thread, I'd be very grateful!
Last edited by wyrdgirluk on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Image by kind permission of Peter Town - check out his great work at Elfwood!

"Cleavage & attitude can carry a girl a *long* way"
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Telling Tales in High Places
https://tazlure.nl/board/viewtopic.php?t=8247

Please tell me what skills you think you've earned in this thread. Also let me know if any previous threads have not been skilled :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]

Return to “Trothgard Archive”