Grimkell: Ashilda (Samheen 18th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Grimkell: Ashilda (Samheen 18th)

Post by Guest »

(OOC: From Fronigtalle: Ashilda (Samheen 18th))

It was a woman's voice; meek and soothing in its quality, like light snow falling to the ground. "Easy." And another cold little embrace. This time on her cheek. Upon opening her eyes, Ashilda saw flakes of white descending, carried around by the biting breeze. Mountains towered before her in the distance. Just here, though, was merely sparse vegetation. A few hardy trees and bushes and flowers in an otherwise barren environment, halfway covered in white.

"That's it, my dear." The face of a young woman (though certainly older than Ashilda came into Ashilda's view. Her features were pronounced, and her skin hard from the unfriendly climate of the Northern Isle. The feather in the left of her hair made her an unmarried woman. The bead attached to it depicted a hut. "Up we go," she continued kindly as she reached under Ashilda's arm to hoist her up from the ground. The young woman watched the other in wonder. And with worry. "Say, where did you arrive from? Out of nowhere?"

Above heavy clouds drifted by. It was still early day. A bird sung quietly nearby and the wind made busy the falling snow.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

Ashilda blinked as she looked around, the fall of snow puzzling after her time in the hidden valley. She focussed on the woman beside her, taking in the weathered features, the feather of Clanhood, the bead incised with a hut. Thorhildrs, she thought absently. She raised her own hand to her head in case the whole thing had been some sort of strange halucination, and experienced only mild disappointment to find nothing there. It was as if she was disconnected from herself - still among the clouds with the hippogryph, perhaps, wherever it had gone.

She allowed the other woman to raise her from the ground, and she tried halfheartedly to brush snow from her clothes. At the puzzled question, her lips twisted in a wry smile. "I'm not sure, exactly. I was in Fronigtalle - time for my Clanhood Rite. A hippogryph came before my first offering was accepted. It seemed to want me to go with it. It..." She hesitated, not certain she wanted to reveal that she had ridden it. Instead, she settled for: "It doesn't make a lot of sense, and I'm not even sure where I am now." She looked imploringly at her rescuer, hoping for some answers that would make this whole affair make sense.

Post by Guest »

The young Thorhildr woman's eyes widened as Ashilda spoke. Then she muttered quietly to herself, looking into the heavens, past innumerable white flakes of snow. No sign of any hippogryphs. Her gaze fell back at Ashilda. "You are on the foot of the mountains north of Grimkell," she said absent-mindedly, as if her thoughts were still on something else. Briefly she glanced at the bed of flowers just by them. "I am Ravna Thorhildr." A slight smile loosened her hard, weathered face for a moment. "Come."

Taking Ashilda by the arm, she began to walk southwards in a steady pace. Opposite of where the snow-capped Talon's climbed steeply towards the clouded sky. "You must be hungry. And cold." Relieving herself of a deer hide across her shoulders, Ravna offered her fellow Trothgarder the fur silently.

Despite the falling snow, the layer of white was not yet thick enough to reach higher than the two women's ankles, making for easy walk. But across Ravna's back hung a pair of snowshoes. The terrain fell slightly before them, dotted with hardy trees, bushes and plants.

"These are strange times," began Ravna quietly. "I don't know the last time - if ever - anyone were brought out of Fronigtalle by a hippogryph. I should want to speak with grandmother." She glanced sideways at Ashilda, as if inquiring whether her tale was indeed true. And with the recent...events...in Rimehold..." The Thorhildr woman trailed off. "Are you alright? Not far, and we'll be in Grimkell."
Last edited by Guest on Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashilda da'Svafa

As Ashilda accepted the cloak, she smiled and nodded in acknowledgement of the introduction. Quietly, she replied, "Thank you, Ravna. I am Ashilda da'Svafa." They walked in silence for a short way, and the young woman thought about how good a hot meal would be. Between the fasting and the day's surprises, not to mention how often she felt as if her stomach had been plucked from her body, she was feeling quite light-headed.

She didn't even have the strength to feel insulted as the other woman's look suggested that her story wasn't entirely believed. Normally she would have jumped to defend herself against such disbelief, but right now it didn't seem worth the effort. Besides, if she was to be taken before the elders she would need her strength. They were the ones she needed to convince. Her companion's next words struck a chord, however.

"What's happened in Rimehold?" Her voice was sharp with worry, and she tried to soften it by adding, "I trust that it is nothing too serious?"

Post by Guest »

Ravna's gaze darkened as Ashilda let on she was not aware of these events. Her brown eyes fastened on something undefinable before them. "Nothing too serious?" she asked with a hint of contempt.

"It was apparently held secret until tradetide of the 16th, I hear," the young woman began. "But evening the day before that, three days ago, there was an incident in the Temple of the Ice Queen. Theft. Within the temple is the little written lore and other weavings, maps and so on that the Clans have inherited from our forbears. Something was stolen. A Priestess was found dead." At this, Ravna gave Ashilda a brief look. Her eyes spoke of concern.

It was not long before they came into open terrain. To the north towered the Talons endlessly. They were upon a barren ridge, its rocky features snow-clad. A few weathered bushes dotted the area, capped in white with the quiet fall of snow. Southwards lay endless frozen plains and hillops among which snaked the path to Rimehold south and east. Westwards the ground soon became ice and sea. A tern's cry pierced the crisp air, and Ravna looked up to see its graceful flight towards the ocean.

"And the foreigners...three of them coming with the returned Bergliin woman. Did you not hear, Ashilda, it is said one of them was carried off by a hippogryph; none has seen her since. Why now? What's happening?" The questions were posed to the slowly disappearing tern as much as Ashilda. "And now you fall down, claiming what you claims."

Columns of smoke came into view southwards, from below. Some tents and a couple of modest buildings came into a view beneath the craggy features of Gymir's ranges. The two of them were still too far away to make out people down there, but Ashilda knew this must be Grimkell. Or part of Grimkell. For the settlements of Grimkell were spread over more many miles, sometimes moving, depending on were the sacred Trothgard crystal, the Ice Queen's gift, was found deep in the mountains.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda frowned as Ravna related the news. The 16th? What was it now? Thinking hard for a moment, she gave a drawn-out sigh. "On the 16th I was preparing for the Rite," she said sadly. "My brother accompanied me when I went hunting for offerings, and then walked with me to the enterance to Fronigtalle - we arrived there the following day." Remembering this brought some relief, anyway, since it officially confirmed that her brother could not have been involved in any way. Noting the other woman's look of concern, she asked, "What was stolen? No, more importantly, who was...?" She let the sentence trail off, not sure she could bring herself to say the word. She knew a number of the priestesses. Many of them were close kin, the tendency of da'Svafa to lean towards the mystical producing at least as many priestesses as it produced runecrafters.

Like her companion, she turned her eyes skywards to follow the flight of the tern. She snapped her head back around when the foreigners were mentioned, however. She had heard about the return of the Bergliin daughter and the strange friends she had brought with her, but she had been full of thoughts of her Rite and had never found out more than the barest details. The woman - Hex, was it? - had never been a particular friend of hers before she had left. There were too many years between them and their interests were too different, although she had memories of the strong young woman. Not someone who she had ever looked up to, but certainly not someone she had disdained.

This news of a foreigner being taken by a hippogryph was curious, however. What would have happened to her? Ashilda wondered what the woman had been doing when she was taken. It would make all the difference to whether or not she would remain unharmed. Shaking her head slowly, she replied, "I don't now what is happening. There is change here, perhaps for good, perhaps not, but change all the same. Perhaps your grandmother and the other elders will have some answers?" She looked down the slope and saw the edges of the mining settlement and suppressed a small sigh of relief. It would be good to sit in a warm tent and have something to eat while she told her story.

Post by Guest »

Ravna Thorhildr let silence rule for a moment, pierced only by another cry from the tern - distant now - as its wings carried it westwards swiftly. White and grey clouds hovered there, as they did above the two woman, infinitely small on the edge of the alpine ranges of Gymir's Talons.

"Tenequil da'Svafa," said the weathered woman finally. And resolutely. Ashilda certainly knew the name. Tenequil da'Svafa was perhaps the most respected among the Svafa priestesses. It was said she had been close to the Kona, Tryggva da'Yrsa, who had now sent her daughter - Aesa - to the Citadel to marry their leader, the Caesar. The Northern Isle was expecting a visit from the foreign lands in a very few days; a visit far more planned and far more grand than that of Hex da'Bergliin and her companions.

Ravna nodded. "Perhaps they have some answers." Her voice wasn't particularly optimistic though, one very different and much sharper than the soothing voice she had initially addressed Ashilda with.

Finally Ashilda was taken into the warmth of a tent. Ravna had taken her through a little camp by the mountainside. Aside from a man and a pack of dogs pulling a sledge of walrus tusks, they had hardly seen a face at this time of day, but heard sounds from a little up a ridge. Where the mines were, Ashilda's companion had explained.

It was certainly the largest tent about. Ashilda had had to wait a moment outside before she was allowed to enter. From inside drifted a waft of roasted meet, and from out the opening in the middle of the tent roof came a steady column of smoke. The signs corresponded with the inside; a pair of rabbits hung over the fire. Just by lay their hides, partly grey, partly white, signalling the coming of winter when the furs of the rabbits turned white.

Around the fire were gathered several women. One Ashilda immediately recognized as Ravna's grandmother. Aside from the wrinkles and the greying hair, in addition to a slight stoop, she was exactly the same. While Ravna's feather and bed sat left in her hair though, the older version's Clan marks sat right. Copper and hermatite adorned her silver hair as well.

All the other women were also aging, and all nodded at Ashilda as Ravna took her inside. Some smiled, some didn't. Some greeted the young Svafa woman, others remained silent.

"My granddaughter tells me you have a remarkable story, Ashilda da'Svafa, though hardly anything can be counted for as remarkable in these times," began Ravna's grandmother as soon as Ashilda had sat down beside Ravna. "I am Elnora Thorhildr."
From the fire came the alluring smell of meat, yet none of the women around seemed to have mind for that at the moment. Rather, all eyes settled on the new arrival.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda's breath caught in her throat as Ravna named one of her kinswomen as the slain. She had never been close to Tenequil - she had always spent more time cultivating the family's runecrafters than the priestesses - but knowing that one of her close kin had been killed during her absence made her forcefully aware of how fragile her world was. My world is growing, though, she thought. From what Ravna suggests, this is of more significance than the death of a priestess, whatever her clan. By rights, I should focus now on helping my family - I should be with them! Yet what of this other task I seem to have? I don't know exactly what it is, but I believe the Goddess has a role for me in all this. Oh Ice Queen, help me choose the right path...

While she waited outside the large tent, Ashilda scanned the sky above her for signs of the hippogryph she had ridden and tried to ignore the smell of meat drifting on the air. It seemed like more than just a day and a half since she had eaten rabbits with her brother near the enterance to the Valley.

Brought into the tent at last, she quickly identified Ravna's grandmother and noted the other faces around the fire. She returned the smiles and greetings that she recieved, nodded at the ones who remained impassive, then returned her attention to Ravna's grandmother as the woman began to speak. Slightly disappointed that no one was making any move to serve food, she inclined her head respectfully.

"I greet you, Elnora Thorhildr, and thank you for your hospitality. I have no idea how I came to be lying in the snow near here, nor how long I had lain there, but I am truly grateful to be able to sit in a warm tent and thaw a little." She hesitated, then asked, "Do you wish me to relate me story for you now?"
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

OOC: I'll be picking up this thread for now. Please give me 24 hours to read up :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Elnora gave a slight nod indicating that Ashilda should continue, beckoning her to sit with a simple gesture of her hand. Everybody sat down in a circle, faces solemn, backs straight in as far as possible. Fur covered the ground of the circle, creating a comfortable sitting place..

Ravna sat down beside her, softly touching her arm for a moment to let her know she was still nearby.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda sat at the invitation and gave Ravna a brief, grateful smile for her silent support. The woman may have seemed sceptical during their walk to the settlement, but her presence was reassuring nonetheless. Taking a deep breath and trying to ignore the smell of food, the young woman began her tale.

"It was time for me to undergo the Rite of Passage. My brother, Konstantin so'Svafa, accompanied me as I hunted for my offerings and accompanied me to the enterance to Fronigtalle. Now, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be like in the Valley, but I couldn't help feeling that there was an air of... preoccupation... of distraction..." She gestured vaguely with her hands, trying to find the words to express herself adequately and aware that she was failing. Shaking her head, she abandoned the attempt to explain the feeling she had experienced and continued recounting the events of her time in the Valley.

"I placed my first offering on the stone in the centre of the Valley, tucked the other into the shade of the stone - it was warmer there, and I wasn't sure if the meat would spoil faster if it was left out - and sat beside it to pray. My meditation was interrupted by the arrival of a hippogryph, even though the offering for the Queen had yet to be accepted. It was a magnificent creature!" Her eyes shone with remembered admiration as she continued, "I greeted it, and it indicated quite clearly that it wished me to go with it. I wasn't sure if that was proper or not, but it was insistant. I offered it the second offering, since it seemed the proper thing to do just then, and it accepted the rabbit before turning its back and moving its wings out of the way. I could hardly believe that it wanted me to ride it, but that seemed to be the case as it didn't stop me from touching and then mounting. Once I was sitting on its back, it took off."

She gave a weak chuckle and shook her head. "It was an amazing flight, but I think I'm better suited to keeping my feet on the ground. The view was incredible, as long as I didn't look down and see how far away the tops of the Talons were. Then it dived, and... I'm not sure what happened then. I suppose I must have passed out, because the next thing I knew I was lying in the snow and could hear Ravna talking to me." She nodded at the woman sitting beside her. "I'm grateful to her for finding me, and to you all for letting me sit here. I've no idea how long I was in the snow for. Long enough, apparently the the hippogryph was long gone."

Looking around at the faces of the elders, she tried to gauge how her tale was being received. She decided that she needed to make one last attempt to describe the feeling in the Valley. "I'm not sure what's happening there exactly," she concluded. "I'm pretty sure that something's out of place, though. Something in Fronigtalle just didn't feel... right..." She trailed off, still not sure she had explained herself properly. It was the best she could do, however, so now she sat and waited with her hands folded neatly in her lap while she waited for the response to her words.

OOC: Sorry for the delay... it's been a very hectic couple of weeks. This is the last time I decide to make Christmas presents for everyone instead of buying them! :?
Last edited by Ashilda da'Svafa on Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The older women at the circle talked softly amongst themselves, worry creating wrinkles in their face. "Thank you for your story," the grandmother said "This is worrying news. You are not the only one out of Fronigtalle with these stories this season, and it spells trouble. We will have to decide what to do."

Finally Ashilda was offered some meat and a goblet of red wine to eat while the old women continued to discuss the matter amongst themselves in low voices, throwing her a glance now and again.

"Ashilda," the grandmother finally announced "The choice is yours. Will you go back into the wilderness to continue your rite and investigate the trouble of Fronigtalle, or will you go forth to the Kona to tell your tale?"

OOC: Ashilda, continuing the quest will mean that you'll stay in Trothgard but move to the Imperial Roads for the continuation of your story. Returning to the Kona will move you eventually to another area, possibly the Citadel due to its Trothgardian influence at the moment.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda bowed her head at Elnora's thanks, grateful that the polite gesture also hid her frown of confusion. Someone else out of Fronigtalle with a similar experience? She was sure that no one else in Rimehold had been undergoing the Rite around this time - the last before her had been the brother of one of Konsti's friends, and that had been almost two moons ago. She wondered if there was someone in Grimkell who had undergone the Rite recently. Maybe I should ask? she thought. I'd like to talk to them, see what their experience was like, if it was like mine.

The question brought her out of her musings and her head snapped up to regard her hostess keenly. As she drew breath to make a sassy reply, a thought stopped her: She is giving you the choice, even though you didn't complete the Rite. She deserves to be taken seriously, even as she takes you seriously. Deciding to listen to that inner voice, she shut her mouth again and chewed on her lip while she considered the options. Finally she replied, "I would prefer to return to the Valley and continue my Rite, and see what I can do to help heal whatever ails the place set aside by the Goddess for her creatures. If you believe, however, that it is important for me to take news of this to the Kona, then I will return to Rimehold with my tale and return to Fronigtalle another time." She lowered her gaze again, silently sending a prayer to the Goddess that she not have to return to Rimehold just yet. Her stay in the Valley had altered her outlook a little, but she still didn't think that her pride could bear returning home without her feather.

OOC: Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year! :) As far as the choice goes, I'd like to get a chance to go back into the wilderness (stay in Trothgard, as it were) but not if that will make things awkward for anyone. My biggest concern about going to the Citadel is that I will be taking up supporter duties there in the near future. But I'll go with whatever makes life easiest for whoever will be modding me in the long term. :)
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"The choice has been made, " the old woman announced loudly and all in the circle nodded. Ashilda could see some silent signs of respect. Surely her choice had not been the easiest one.

She felt an old and wrinkled had on her wirst, a voice whispering "Go girl, and follow your destiny. We will give word to the Kona immediately. There is not need for you to be stuck in ceremony by delivering the message yourself."

The evening that followed was filled with the scent of herbs, heady drinks and many tales. It was one of the first times that Ashilda had been truely part of the womens tent.

The next morning she found a small sled with 6 dogs, a small tarp, and enough rations to make it to Fronnigtale.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda looked up gratefully at the old woman, smiling her thanks for the understanding. She wasn't sure herself why she felt so compelled to return to the Valley - pride was a part of it, certainly, but she knew it went deeper than that - but she welcomed the chance she was being given.

The evening passed pleasantly. It was the first time she had been out on her own amongst other Clans without having family or close friends with her, although she remembered coming to Grimkell as a child. It was certainly the first time she had been treated like an adult by the women, and she basked in the companionship. There wasn't time to form any lasting friendship bonds, but she made sure that she made contact with enough of the women that she could be sure of finding someone she knew if she passed through the mining settlement again.

When she woke in the morning and discovered the sled, dogs and rations, she felt a warm glow. These people had shown her such kindness, even after she showed up unexpectedly bearing an improbable tale. Thinking back on the story she had told the previous day, Ashilda marvelled that she hadn't been turned away or bundled off and treated for snow madness. Smiling, she made her courtesies to her hosts and wished the eye of the Ice Queen to watch over them before heading off towards the mountains and the sacred valley.

It felt odd to be out on her own in the wilderness - stranger than it had been to travel with only her brother for company. Her hand strayed to her weapons often as if to reassure herself that they were still there and she kept her senses alert for any sign of potential trouble.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The weather was cold, but no colder than was usual for the area, and the sky was as blue as the IceQueens eyes, the sunlight making the snow, which covered large patches of these fields even during summer and now stretched as far as the eye could see, impossibly white. The six trained dogs that pulled the sleigh were playful, snapping at each other now and again as they put in a fair speed.
Ashilda da'Svafa

At first, Ashilda surrendered to the thrill of standing on the back of the sled as it was pulled over the snow by the dogs. The rush of the wind in her face and the knowledge that she was covering the ground far more quickly than if she was toiling along on her own two feet made it a heady experience. The dogs were lively and playful, apparently as glad to be out and doing something as she was. She laughed aloud for the sheer joy of it, then laughed again as the wind plucked the sound from her lips and tossed it away.

After a while, however, the task before her intruded into her enjoyment of the ride. It was a two-fold task, each part as important to her as the other. She wanted to complete her Rite and earn the feather that proclaimed her an adult of the Clan, and she wanted to discover what was wrong with the valley that housed the Ice Queen's beloved hippogryphs. It had been clear during her last visit that something was amiss, and the suggestion that someone else had also been to the Valley recently and had a similar experience suggested that it was more than just a personal feeling.

As she rode, she contemplated the nature of the problem. Looking back on the time she had spent there, she decided that while she had felt the presence of the Goddess in the very earth and stones and trees, it was abstracted and vacant as if... She frowned. As if it were just a memory of presence? She tried the idea out in her mind for a while and decided that it was the best explanation she could come up with. Which made the next question "why?". Why would the Ice Queen turn her attention from the Valley? Had the hippogryphs perhaps done something to offend her and thus fallen from her grace? Ashilda shook her head with a snort. Unlikely. Hippogryphs were definitely more than mere animals - her own recent experience attested to that - but she could see what they could possibly do to so offend their creator that she would withdraw her protection.

What then, could cause that absence? It's the power of the Goddess that keeps Fronigtalle green and warm, and only the fact that it is green and warm ensures there is enough food for all of the hippogryphs. Why, that little rabbit I gave the one that carried me would hardly be a snack for something so large and active. So why would she withdraw her power from the valley when that must ultimately lead to it becomming like the rest of this land? What could distract a goddess so much that she would turn her back on her chosen creatures? That thought led to a knew and rather disturbing one: Does that mean she's turned her back on us too? Is that why my offering was not taken? Not because I was unworthy, but because she wasn't paying attention and didn't know it was there? The idea gave her a moment's relief - if that were true then she hadn't actually failed - but this was quickly overshadowed by a profound sense of loss. The Ice Queen was at the centre of any Trothgardian's world. If she removed herself then that left a gaping hole that no one and nothing could ever fill.

The darkness of these thoughts had diminished the brightness of the day for her. She rode in silence, mouth compressed in a grim line, eyes scanning the way ahead to spot the landmarks that would guide her to the enterance to Fronigtalle for the second time.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Ashilda made good time and far on the horizon she could see the grey mountains that local folklore called Grymir's Talons. Still a days ride away, and common knowledge had it that you would not want to cross the mountains in the dark for fear of the different creatures that hunted in the night. Yet that made it desirable to make a camp that was able to withstand the same dangers of the snow field.

The terrain was slightly curved, becoming more so as the road continued, turning into hilss, with a tree here and there, but mostly plains.

Just as she came to a location where it would have been logical to make a camp something red stood out brightly against the white snow, not far from a cold fireplace, the snow melted away in a small circle around it. The snow was ruffled, footsteps of various sizes running all around in the snow.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda noted the distance of the mountains and decided that it was time to look for a place to camp the night. She was pleased with the time they had made, even if she now felt somewhat cold and stiff from a day of travelling on the sled. She eyed the landscape as she skimmed over it, hoping to find somewhere to make camp while there was still plenty of light. She hadn't thought much about defence of a campe when she set out, and now the thought of spending the night in the hills armed with only her bow left her feeling rather uncomfortable. She wanted a good, sheltered spot where she could feel safer.

There was a spot up ahead that looked promising, but as she neared it a splash of red against the snow made her pull the dogs to a halt. It was obvious that someone had been here recently and made camp - the remains of a campfire were visible from where she stood. The scuffing of the snow and the bright red... something... made her wonder uneasily if this was such a good spot to camp after all.

Shaking her head, she climbed off the sled and walked to the lead dog. She ruffled its ears as she unclipped the harness and led the dog forawrd with her. Sled dogs were powerfully-built animals and she felt safer to have the beast pacing beside her. As she neared the site, she looked around carefully to work out what had happened here.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

There were many footsteps. Mostly of dogs, their paws evident. There was also a curious huge paw, about the size of a bear. It was most definately not a bear though. Then there were a few footsteps of a human, suggesting that there had been only one or two. They had a sled with them, and Ashilda could see its track going from the camp towards the mountains. It looked like the camp had been abondoned in a hurry.

In the distance wolves called.

OOC: sorry for the delay. I thought I had replied but it must have slipped my busy mind. Don't hesitate to PM me if you see me skip your thread ;)
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda looked at the huge paw-print in surprise. It matched no creature she knew, even by repuation or from listening to the hunters' stories. She thought for a moment and finally shook her head in a decisive gesture. Standing staring was getting her nowhere. She would continue on her journey, keeping an eye out for this creature or any companions it might have.

Returning to the sled, she refastened the harness to the lead dog and gave his head a brief caress in thanks. Before she resumed her place, however, she dug from her pack some meet rations and slipped them into the pouch at her belt. If some large predator did follow her, perhaps some meat thrown into its path would distract it long enough for her to escape. Making sure that her bow and arrows were readily to hand, she climbed back onto the sled and looked around to re-orient herself.

Determining her direction, she glanced at the tracks of the other sled to see if they went in the same direction before calling the command to move out.

OOC: No problem. I was going to give it a few more days, since I know you've been busy lately. :) Hope you did well in your exams.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Sure enough the track led to the mountains. It was not clear if Ashilda would catch up with the group before the dark made travel more difficult. The tracks in the snow were not covered, which together with the evidence at the camp suggested that there couldn't have been more than a day passed, possibly far less.

As Ashilda picked up speed again she found a new camp, some mark hence from the old spot. It looked like the same kind of camp, but more restful, organized, even though it was small. The ground was covered with large paws, yet no blood.
Ashilda da'Svafa

A fleeting frown marred Ashilda's brow for an instant as she realised she would be following these strange tracks. She briefly toyed with the notion of leaving the path and finding another way into the mountains, but she discarded that idea almost immediately. Something inside nagged at her, told her that time was important her and that there was precious little of it to waste. Grimly, she continued on her original course.

When she found the second camp, she paused to look at it. There was no blood, and while it looked as though the creature and the humans were still together, both seemed to have moved about the camp freely. There didn't seem to be any clear threat from the large creature - not to the humans it travelled with, anyway - and she found herself letting out a breath she didn't know she had been holding. Casting a glance towards the sky, she tried to make up her mind if she would shelter here herself or push on for a while longer. She wanted to get as close to the Valley as she could before nightfall, but she knew well the folly of pushing on through the dark. A broken sled or injured dogs would only slow her down further.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Darkness was already setting, and it was not a clear eveningtide. The stars were hidden by clouds that promised more snow, giving a yellowish teint. Ashilda could almost smell it on the wind. It was still several marks to the mountains.

If Ashilda made camp now she would reach the mountains by next noon. However she would not catch up with this strange troop traveling in the same direction. If she took a chance she might catch up with them around the same time but she'd be exhausted.

Deliberations and considerations, all done while the icy wind around her was blowing.
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda considered the choices that lay before her. Should she play it safe and camp here, or push herself an dher team further and try to catch these other travellers? The sky promised snow, which made setting her camp now seem a sensible option. This other group, however, could not be that much further ahead. The signs of their camp were not that old. It would be good, too, to find out who she was sharing these wild trails with. The may prove valuable allies, or it may be another youngster heading to Fronigtalle for their Rite. If that were the case, then she had a duty to meet them first and warn them of her suspicions about the Valley. Perhaps even enlist their help.

By this time the young Clanswoman had talked herself into pressing on a bit further and had also come to the realisation that she was freezing. Even standing in the sled as it moved kept her warmer than just standing in the wind. At least when the sled was moving she had to keep herself moving too as she adjusted her balance to keep from spilling out. Wrapping her cloak tighter about her slight frame, she made sure she was standing securely and called the dogs into action. She would keep an eye on the clouds, she decided, and stop if the threatened snow looked like becoming an immediate concern. For now, however, she would follow these odd tracks and see what she could learn.

Return to “Trothgard Archive”