Icy Quest, part II: Travelling with the Guardian (Sam 19th)

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Icy Quest, part II: Travelling with the Guardian (Sam 19th)

Post by Maeve »

Hex must have slept several marks before she woke up. Surprisingly it had been the deep sleep of the innocent instead of the fitful sleep that she had learned on the road to keep her alert up. Perhaps some instinct told her to trust the Guardian.

The white haired creature was rummaging around the camp when she woke, and triumphantly held up a white hare "Food," he declared satisfied, and tore off a piece of meat with his teeth, to offer it to Hex with an outreached hand, the red blood slowly dripping over his white fure from the corners of his wide mouth. He had an impressive set of teeth that could likely kill any human during combat if he came close enough.

It was a fine bright morning. The bright blue sky told Hex that it would be cold during the day, at least until the sun would start to heat things up.

In the distance the dark form of the mountains called.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

OOC: Things look great. This is the path I wanted to be on for some time so I think it is spot on. :D

Hex awoke from her deep sleep and rolled out of her blankets, her hand going to her dagger and her mind instantly assessing all around her. The Guardian ignored her wild actions and instead went on eating his breakfast, slapping the raw meat into Hex's outstretched hand. Hex realized that at this juncture she must have looked the fool. Blood dripped through her fingers as she made her way to the small fire. As she set the meat to be cooked, at least a little over the small flame she tried in earnest to identify the hunk of flesh before her. The warrior in her was trying to determine exactly how fast this Guardian could move to kill...what ever this had been. He does have native camouflage....

The deep sleep had done wonders for Hex and her disposition. Closer to the mountains she felt more in tune with herself as well as her quest. "I think we have been hasty to talk of our Ice Queen abandoning us all. I feel she works in her own ways for her own reasons, as we must work in ours. Perhaps she felt that we all had become to dependent on her and that she is culling the weak from the strong. That is the way of the wild. Perhaps there are many answers but to day I feel that she grants us strength and a clear path. Her breath has cooled the air and moved the snow from our path. She has granted us meat and our two quests are joined to become one. We are stronger together and more likely to succeed in our goals. I feel the smile of the Ice Queen upon me, and subsequently us, my furry friend."

Hex stood and studied the sky to try and see if they would be visited by snow later in the day. Marking from a distance what the best lay of the mountains was she conferred with her guide on the best path over the mountains. After her meal Hex stretched and worked through some basic fighting stances to limber herself up for the days journey. With the breaking of the camp Hex checked on the progress of the healing of her friends leg. She wanted to make good time today and be deep into the mountains before nightfall. "How is that leg of yours?. Will you be able to walk on it today?"
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: My apologies for my unscheduled absence. I have a houseguest and meanwhile I'm coordinating something to integrate into this plotline. You'll have a post within 24 hours.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The meat that Hex was burning over the fire was a hare. It quickly browned and smelled enticing. Meanwhile the woman studied the sky but could not tell if there was any different weather coming. The signs were to indistinct. All the same it had snowed nearly every day so assuming it would today was probably a safe bet.

After breakfast they broke comp and made for the mountains. It took them all of morningtide and some marks into tradetide before the moved into the actual mountains. Looking back over the plain they were leaving Hex got the indistintictive feeling that something or someone was folllowing them. The wolves had stopped following them after last night. It had to be something else.

The travel throught he mountains was difficult. Most roads had snow on them, and they were slippery as well as not marked out well.

OOC: again, sorry for the delay. I've now got an event or two planned for you ;)
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex broke camp and gathered her bearings as well as her belongings. Snow would most likely fall by the end of the day and she wanted to get the first leg of the mountains over with as fast as possible. That being said she was glad for her guide.

Hex limbered up as they moved into the mountain pass. She was starting to climaitize to living on the trail. In some ways, having the quiet being broken only by occasional conversation on the best trail or the yapping of the dogs gave Hex time to reflect on what she was doing and what it meant to her. The closer she physically came to the mountains the closer she felt to the Ice Queen on a spiritual level.

The nagging feeling would not leave the back of her neck and with every break she looked back to see if she could determine anything. Trolls would have to be really hungry to follow her this far. Hex though was not too worried. She was gaining confidence not only in herself on a physical level, but with her skills and choices as well. Going to see the queen was sitting well with the young woman.

It was well past Eveningtide before they decided to stop for the night. Hex wanted to press this first day as far in as possible to have them over the mental hump of the mountains, leaving only the real task of getting though them. It was going to be a long night as she had only heard of the things that lived amougnst the rock, and with something on her tail, she was not going to get much sleep tonight.
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

There was snow during the day but coming to eveningtide the clouds cleared again, presenting a perfect sky of a luminous moon and sparkling stars, presenting an eerily lit snowfield.

The Guardian was lost in thought and didn't speak much, except to answer any questions Hex might have. He tried to do little chores at the camp, being obviously experienced in this particular environment. "Sleep, daughterrrrrrrr of the Ice, I shall wake over you," he told Hex once again, in his deep rumbling voice.

Somewhere deep into gravetide he touched her shoulder. "One comes," he warned softly.

OOC: We are joined by Ashilda :)
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was deep in slumber. Wild dreams played though her mind, dreams of time long lost. Stories that her mother used to tell her were brought to life, the stories of raids and ship battles, stories of the Ice Queen, stories of the way things used to be. Hex could see herself amongst the warriors storming the beaches and taking slaves. She could once again taste the salt on her lips as war craft cut through deep waves on the ride home. The touch of the Guardian brought her out of it as the boat neared home. An image of Trothgard outlined in blue light.

Awake in an instant, Hex forced the dreams into her sub-conscious, images to be dealt with later. Hex rolled to her feet and snatched up her polearm, glancing about. The fire gave off a low light and Hex moved back into shadows. Speaking low to the Guardian...

"What do you mean by one my friend? One of me, one of you or something else?"

Hex crouched in a defensive stance, straining with eyes and ears for any sign of the newcomer.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Post by Ashilda da'Svafa »

The night was clear and cold, and while the former was appreciated since it gave enough light to travel by, the latter was something Ashilda could have done without. She felt as though she had been standing on the back of the sled for far too long, but the sense that she was close had driven her to keep going rather than stop to make camp for the night.

Finally, a glimmer up ahead suggested she was nearing a campsite. She slowed the dogs, grateful that she hadn't had to light her lantern - better that she not advertise her exact location quite so far in advance. As she drew closer, she saw movement in the shadows around the fire and guessed that something had alerted the occupants to her presence. I place myself in your hands, my Queen, she thought as she pulled the dogs to a halt and stepped down from the sled.

Her muscles felt cramped from the cold and the tension of keeping her balance on the rapidly moving conveyance, and she took a brief moment to stretch before walking forward. Her bow and quiver were slung about her in such a way that she could reach them quickly if the need arose, but she kept her empty hands spread before her. She didn't quite come all the way into the firelight, but close enough that she could see and be seen. As soon as she was close enough to be heard without shouting, she said, "It's alright, I'm a friend."

She hoped that this was the case.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: Hi, and welcome!

Hex took note of a few things, first the dogs did not act up in any weird way and she thought that she heard more dogs, unsure in the wind to be positive. Always one to keep her guard up, Hex almost lost her mind when she say the young woman walk up into the edge of the light and announce that she was a friend. I must be getting old, or at least cynical...

Hex relaxed her stance and studied the woman for a moment. What is she doing here? Hex walked forward to find the answer to that very question. Moving into the light of the small fire, Hex moved back into her sleeping area and replaced her polearm next to her lean-to on the ground. Looking towards where the Guardian hovered in the shadows, Hex spoke to her friend, "I don't think this one means to take your other leg off." Chuckling Hex turned her attention to the new arrival.

"Well now come on in, I only bite after you get to know me. Come on, bring in your dogs and come next to the fire. You must have put in a hard trail if you were the one following me. After you set in you can tell me all about why you are here where no sane woman should be. Oh, the big furry guy over there is Guardian, real conversationalist he is." Hex gave the young woman, for Hex could now see how young she was, a quick grin and a wink.

"Come on, I will put some tea on." Hex made a motion for Ashilda to get about things as she dug out some tea and a pot.
Last edited by Hex da`Bergliin on Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: Hi, and thanks. I've made a couple of assumptions here, the first one being that you are still wearing your Clan feather (as every good Clanswoman does ;) ). If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll edit.

IC:

Ashilda smiled gratefully as the woman by the fire accepted her overtures of friendship and invited her to join... them. Her eyes wandered over to where the woman had indicated and widened as she saw the large furry creature. That must be what made those prints! she thought in astonishment. I'm glad it looks friendly...

As she led her dogs into the circle of warm firelight, Ash turned her attention to the woman. Obviously a Trothgarder, she seemed vaguely familiar and it wasn't until she made out the device on her feather that she remembered hearing about the return of the Bergliin daughter. Pulling her pack off the sled, she made her way over to the fire and sat down gratefully. She would have liked for it to also be gracefully, but the cold, cramped muscles in her legs weren't fully under her command and she ended up depositing herself rather unceremoniously on the ground.

"Yes, it was a hard trek," she sighed, answering the earlier comment. "The tracks I found puzzled me, and I wasn't sure if they meant someone who needed help because they were pursued or someone who had greater strength and resources than me. Either way, it seemed like a wise move to follow." She grinned and gave a wry shrug of her shoulders. "Although what I'd have done if your companion here had actually been following you with intent to harm is anyone's guess."

Opening her pack, she extracted the parcel of rations she had been given. "I don't know what food you have, but I'm happy to share mine in return for the tea and the fire and company." She frowned a moment, then added hastily, "Oh, but I forget my manners. My name is Ashilda da'Svafa, and I thank you for your hospitality, da'Bergliin... It's Hex, isn't it? I'd heard someone say you'd come back to the Ice Queen's land."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex laughed as Ashilda mentioned that she had heard that Hex had returned home.

"I keep forgetting how small a place Rimehold is and the fact that everyone seems to know everyone's personal affair. I find it most ironic though that no one seems to know what is happening all around them."

Hex poured the tea and gave her new companion a quick once over taking stock of what was there and what was not. Having Ashilda settle into camp and start to be warmed up with her cup of tea, Hex could not resist but be inquisitive as to why the woman was here, at all...

"So Ashilda, what in the frozen tears of the Ice Queen are you doing out here? I hope that some old fool did not send you after me to try and deter me from my quest? This is normally a dangerous trek, now it has become almost suicidal. From burn to candlemark, there is an ever present danger. I welcome another woman of Trothgard on the trail with me. I am not worried about the food, I have enough and the Guardian has demonstrated an uncanny ability to hunt."

Hex looked at Ashilda once more.

"I see that you have not earned your feather yet, is this your quest? If so you picked one frostbitten time to do it. "

Hex went about sipping her tea. As she talked she keep a watch over the dogs ears, looking to see if they suddenly perked up. A nice cup of tea is nice and the company welcomed but this was Trothgard and she believed what she said about the danger. She may relax her guard but it is never down. This girl was a beauty but Hex's mind raced with other questions beyond the obvious ones like where did this girl get such black hair?, but even Hex's blunt rudeness has its boundaries.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda wrapped her long hands around the cup, happy for a while to just let the warmth soak the cold from her fingers. She smiled and nodded at Hex's comment about Rimehold, but the suggestion that no one knew what was going on around them sparked her interest.

She shook her head when asked if she had been sent out to stop the other woman. "No, she replied, I'll admit that I didn't even know you were out on your own trek. I've most recently come from Grimkell, where I... ended up rather unexpectedly. They were very kind though, and outfitted me with this wonderful sled and team as well as provisions so that I could try again."

Her lips curled in a wry smile as the comment was made about her lack of feather. "More so than you might realise," she replied with a deep sigh. "I was indeed to undertake my Clanhood Rite, but there is something... wrong... out of place..." She frowned as she groped for the word that would best describe her feelings about the situation. Finally she settled for, "I have never before been in Fronigtalle, but even I could tell that all was not right there. It's as if... the Goddess has turned her attention somewhere else for a time, and magick is fading from the Valley while it is not under Her watchful eye." She sipped at her tea, thinking about this. Finally she said, "You referred to you journey here as a quest. What do you quest for?" Glancing at the large shape of the creature Hex had termed a 'Guardian', she added, "And where did you meet your travelling companion?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Try again? The idea of trying the clanhood rite again made Hex cock her head in a weird way. She knew that she had been gone for some time but she was unclear if one could try again as the case my be. Did they send this young girl out here to die?

Hex listened with rapt attention to Ashilda as she spoke.

"I would like to hear more of this second attempt at the clanhood rite. Have they allowed this because of the disturbances?"

Hex paused in thought for a moment and looked over at the Guardian.

"Our friend came into camp a few nights back. I thought he was a troll because of the snow and I could not properly see him. I almost did some serious damage to his leg but it appears I was able to glean more from my sisters than i thought I did. My quest? Oh well, I am off to find the Ice Queen and find out where she has gone. The Guardian has come over the mountains to get help because they can no longer hold back from the wall of ice without the queens help. There is something rotten in Trothgard, our queen is missing, no one wants to talk about it and people are acting very odd. I felt the queen calling me across the ocean and she pulled me home. Now I go to her and find out answers for all of these questions. She is the key to everything, we cannot solve one riddle before us until we know what happened to her. Guardian knows of where her palace is but seems afraid to go there. He says that there are many bad things there. I do not think that the Ice Queen wins many contests for kindness, but she is vital to our survival. That in a tight weave is what I am doing Ashilda. I welcome you on my quest if you wish. After I find the queen, hopefully there will be a return to a normal state on this outcrop of rock. The land around us is perverted by some unknown force. I do not feel that you will be successful for your feather until the land is healed."

Hex looked at the pain in the young girls eyes at the prospect of not getting her feather, her heart softened for the girl.

"Come Ashilda, know that if you are here that you too were perhaps chosen for this quest. Why else would they send you alone into hostile lands if they felt that it were not your destiny to do so? Perhaps the Hippogryphs know more of you than you do. Your last name speaks of you being from the clan of magic, perhaps you have a deeper depth of power than you know. Wearing a feather in your hair shows acceptance into a clan, not having one does not mean that you have fallen out of favor with the queen. All things will come to be in the proper time. I think you should come with me. We can always stop in the valley on the way back."

Hex gives Ashilda a quick wink and a warm smile. She adds some coal to the small fire to bring up some warmth.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda listened to Hex's explanation of her companion and the quest they were on with a vague sense of disquiet. These tales about a wall of ice and bad things in the Goddess' own halls disturbed her deeply. Forcing her lips into a half-smile, she answered the question about second attempts.

"My Rite was... cut short. Before my offering was accepted by the Ice Queen, a hippogryph came to me. It gave every indication that it wanted me to go with it - to climb on its back. I gave it the second offering, the one meant for the hippogryphs, and it accepted it. I guess that means I half-passed." She gave a wry chuckle, then her lips curved into a more genuine smile. "The ride was incredible, though. So high above everything. I'm not sure how long we flew, but I think it was a long time. I must have dozed, or maybe I fainted in the thin air. The next thing I remember I was lying in the snow not far from Grimkell. It was the elders there who gave me the sled and provisions when I said I wanted to return to the mountains and try to find what is wrong with our Queen's Valley."

She thought about the rest of Hex's speech. It certainly sounded like the two had similar goals, and the older woman was right about the mountains being inhospitable and dangerous. It would be safer for them to travel as a group, especially with the Guardian along for protection. Reaching a decision, she nodded once and looked at her new friend.

"I thank you for your words of encouragement, Hex. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to pass my Clanhood Rite and be recognised as an adult. I wanted to learn to wield the power of the Runes that were given to us by our Goddess. It saddens me, though, that I never truly appreciated her own power and the integral part she plays in our land until I experienced the lack of it in Fronigtalle, the place where her power ought to be felt most strongly.

"I would like to accept your offer, to accompany you as we try and find out the truth of what is happening here and somehow make things right again. I'm not sure how much help I will be - I was never a warrior, and while I was able to learn a little of the runes from listeing to my mother and grandmother talk, I am largely untrained. I will do what I can, however, and perhaps between the two of us... err, three of us... we can solve this puzzle." She placed her cup on the ground by her feet and held her hand out to Hex in a gesture of friendship and partnership. Glancing towards the other side of the fire, she held her other hand towards the Guardian a little more hesitantly.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex took the hand and arm of Ashildra, pulling the woman into an embrace. Hex released her and laughed.

"He may look cuddly but I am unsure if he is. I too am glad he found me, he has already been more useful with his guidance that the wise women in Rimehold. I am very glad that you have decided to join with me on this quest. The Ice Queen has always been a mysterious figure, for some she is mythical, for me, she is very real. I feel her all around me, it is her breath over this land and while we may no longer feel her guiding hand, one can still feel her presence in all aspects of our lives. I have no formal training in how to pray to her, but I respect the land and I talk to her through my spirit. I listen to her on the wind and follow her path through ice and snow. I do not belive that it is in Fronigtalle that you will feel her power the strongest, but in your heart and spirit. I think it is this that has been lost upon someof our people. I stopped believing in coincidence a long time ago. You are here for a reason my young friend. Your story of the hippogryphs are more than enough proof to me of that. I would rest easy knowing that you will receive your feather."

Hex leaned back after finishing her tea.

"We should get some sleep soon. I must admit though I would welcome a good story about your knowledge of the rune stones, I know nothing. Do not fear your warrior skills for I feel that these will improve over this journey. You have me, the Guardian and now two packs of dogs to look out over you as you gain experience. We all have to start somewhere, perhaps though as you finish your tea you could tell me where you got such beautiful black hair? I thought I stood out with my red locks but back home you would have turned head for miles. The gossip would last for burn after burn. For some reason I always find my self with women who turn a head far better than I."

Hex laughed as she settled back.

"Come Ashilda, I mean no disrespect. I am truly blessed by your company and I am glad we have been brought together."
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ashilda return the woman's embrace, happy at the show of acceptance. It was as warming in its own way as the tea and the fire, and she picked up her mug and settled back with a small smile on her lips.

It was obvious from listening to Hex that the woman was deeply spiritual, and Ash wondered if perhaps their Queen did indeed have something special in mind for the scarred Trothgarder. Certainly her tale of being called over the seas suggested that there was a deeper power at play than she had ever seen. So when Hex assured her that she would one day receive her feather and the full adult status that it granted, the young woman believed her.

She laughed along with Hex at mention of her hair and replied, "It is not something many of us have, although my brother shares my colouring - his eyes are a bit darker though. I was told that many generations ago there was a young man named Mikhal who was a slave to our family. His hair was as black as a starless night, and he a was dilligent and honourable worker. When he fell in love with another of our slaves who was also known for her good work and her loyalty, they were granted permission to start a family. The child shared her father's dark locks, and in time married one of the Svafa sons. Now, from time to time, the dark hair is repeated in a child of our line. It's odd for their to be two of us in the one generation though. My older sister is as fair as our mother." She fell silent for a moment, unsure if she had spun the tale out too long - it was one fo her favourites, relating as it did to the origin of her own unusual looks, and she loved to tell it. After a time, however, she added, "I don't think you would need to worry about turning heads, Hex. You are a striking woman, both with your hair and your force of will and personality. You would attract people to you, I feel, wherever you went, regardless of who you were with."
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

OOC: That is a very nice Avatar..:)

Hex smiled,

"Thank you. I still think there is a difference between turning heads because you are striking, such as your self, and because you strike people, such as me."

Hex was in good spirts and it shows. Her general mirth eased the glom of the shadow of the mountain. It did not erase the gravity of the task that would transpire over the next few days.

"We should bed down for the night, these next days will be long and the Guardian has offered to keep watch in the night. Tomorrow I wish to hear more about you and your personal quest with the runes as it is an area that I lack any real knowledge in. I would be very interested to hear the connection between the Ice Queen and the runes. We should get some sleep, there will be many tides to tell our tales. perhaps in the telling we can unravel some of the mystery as to why we are on this path, for now let us sleep within the embrace of the queens own land and listen to her tales upon the wind."

Hex moved to tidy up the camp and re-set her sleeping area. Thinking to herself...My Queen you have sent me a most amicable traveling companion. I am curious to see what role she has to play in this journey. Soon I shall cross these mountains and make my way to your home. I thank you for this quest for without you I was lost.

Hex said her good nights and resumed her sleep, looking to unravel more riddles in her dreams.
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

OOC: Thanks. :) It came up better than I expected of a pencil drawing. They often don't scan so well.

IC:

Ashilda chuckled at the distinction Hex made. She nodded at the suggestion of sleep, however. "It would be good to rest," she agreed. "I have been travelling long and fast, and have only had one really good night's rest in the last few days. I'm sure that we will have ample time on this trek to share tales and puzzle over this mystery. I'm grateful to you, Guardian, for watching over us." She turned her head to direct that comment to the large figure on the other side of the fire, smiling her thanks as she did so.

She swallowed the last of her tea and set the mug aside where it could not be blown away if the wind picked up. She helped Hex tidy the camp, then fetched her own sleeping roll from the sled and spread it near enough the fire for warmth by far enough away that she wouldn't be set alight by a stray ember. Saying her goodnights to her two companions, she curled up in the furs and drew a fold up around her face for added warmth. As she relaxed herself for sleep, she considered how fortunate she was to have found someone else in the mountains who was also trying to find the source of the confusion that had beset their land.

OOC: Sorry so short. It's going to be one of those days... :roll:
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

OOC: My apologies, I've been away too much. I'll try and do at least one post, possibly two each weeks, but I'm afraid that's my current limit :) You two are doing mighty fine in writing a good story though!

IC: The Guardian, that white haired monster, proved shy and stayed away from the fire while Hex was talking to the newcomer. It was not till Hex went to sleep that he approached the fire and gave Ashilda a kind nod "Welcome, daughterrrrrrrr of the Ice" he said with a rumbling voice that vaguely recalled dogs "Sleep, I will watch overrrrrrrrr you."

The next morningtide was very bright and the white of the snow glared in their face. It was not clear hoe long the travel to Fronnigtale would take, but it certainly would not appear magically while they waited around.

The Guardian was not particularly chatty but circled the group, checking for tracks and somehow protecting them from danger. The wolves could no longer be heared in the distance.

OOC: You can presume you two are travelling for the next two days without much interference :) My next post will be an event ;)
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex tended to the mundane chores of getting the camp broken down for the trail and getting food prepared. Trying to move about without making too much noise, Hex let Ashilda sleep a little longer than she. The girl had pushed hard to catch her and most likely would appreciate a little more sleep.

Hex busied herself attending to the dogs and striking her lean-to. What she did not want to do was spend too much time dwelling on her dreams, she would have the night to do that. Most likely the queen would breath on them again today and her frosty breath would result in snow later. For now though the skys were clear and the snow was bright.

The morning chores done Hex walked a few paces from camp and squatted down on her hunches. Reaching down she gathered some snow in her mits, forming a ball. As she did this Hex let all of her thoughts dissipate and cleared her mind of noise. All that remained was the soft whispers of the wind with its cool wet tongue. Hex reached deep then into the land with her spirit, trying to feel for the rhythm placed there by the queen, trying to feel for the spirit of the land. There in that place Hex let peace wash over her and stayed in the meditative state for a short while. releasing the ball and letting it fall into the snow, hex let her thoughts return to the task at hand and the long journey ahead of her.

Moving back to where Ashilda sleep, Hex called to her, "If you are still sleeping in there it would be advised if you were to get up, the days is wasting." Hex gave her a big smile and a wink when they made eye contact. "Come, gruel is ready and the dogs are already prepped." Hex then turned her attention to the pole arm and her morning stretches. Sharp minds compliment a sharp body, a lesson she learned a long time ago. Hex felt the tension from the nights sleep drift away as she worked her routine. She could start to feel a change in her, a move towards feeling full or perhaps balanced. Something was changing or perhaps it was all this fresh air...
~
Ashilda da'Svafa

At the sound of Hex's voice, Ash stirred and muzzily opened one eye. Seeing the other woman up and about and finally registering the comment about gruel and dogs, she sat up abruptly and looked about. A wry grin touched her lips as she said, "You should have wakened me rather than do it all yourself, but I have to admit I appreciate the lie in." She covered a yawn with her hand and wriggled out of her sleeping furs to stretch. "I do feel better for it."

Serving herself some of the gruel, she sat and ate in silence as she watched Hex practise with the pole. The woman's strength and grace impressed her, and she briefly debated whether to ask for some lessons. The way of the warrior had never appealed to her, but out here it was probably a good idea to work on her defensive skills. Not today though, she decided, spooning up the last of the gruel in her bowl and using some snow to clean it. My slothfulness has taken enough of the morningtide. Tomorrow I will wake earlier and help with the camp, and maybe then we will have time.

This decided, she stood and began to pack away her sleeping roll and belongings. Not wanting to disturb Hex if she was deeply involved, she called softly, "Have you eaten yet?" If Hex had eaten then she would also clean away the breakfast things and pack them for travelling. It was the least she could do, seeing as breakfast had been ready for her on wakening. Glancing around, she added, "And what of the Guardian?" She somehow couldn't see that large creature sitting down to a bowl of gruel, but it seemed polite to ask. After the Guardian's reassuring words the night before, not to mention his labeling of her as a 'Daughter of Ice', she felt even more inclined to show him respect and honour.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex finished with her morning exercises and stated some warm downs.

"Yes, I have eaten, thank you. I think that the Guardian feeds himself. Thank you for fixing the breakfast plates. I would like to get going before too many more burns and the dogs are ready to run. "

Hex set about doing a final tightening of packs on the sleds and checking the dog lines as Ashilda struck her camp. Hex was starting to feel like herself again, in shape and sharp. Her eyes reflected the light of the sky before she put on her snow blind. The flap of Elk with a thin cut in it must have looked either menacing or ridiculous but either way it cut the glare of the sun off the snow.

The camp struck and all remints of their passing removed to the best of their ability, the two women struck out further up the mountain. Ashilda must have felt that Hex was a slave driver for candelmark after candelmark Hex moved the dogs and sleds forward. The wind and snow picked up mid-way through Tradetide and hex looked none the happy about it.

Looking back and walking to where Ashilda controlled the sleds.
"I think that we made very good time today. I am sorry if I pushed you hard but I really want to get over this first mountain chain. Feel free to call out if you ever want to stop, I know that eating on the trail is not for everyone. I think though that it is going to snow throughout the night so we might as well make camp here, unless you want to push on for a few more miles. I estimate we have about a candelmark of good light left but it is hard to tell in the snow." Hex looked about, her breath freezing to the Elk flap.

"It is nice to have the company..."
~
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Traveling through the mountains was difficult and slow going. Often they had to stop to carefully manage going past a ravine on a slippery slope with the likelyhood of lose stones under the snow and ice. This was not a path that was oft travelled. The help of the strongly muscled Guardian, who had a strong grip on the snow was indispensable, giving the independant ladies a hand crossing deep gaps when any normal human would have been unable to jump safely, while carrying the sled across.

Finally they found a slightly overhanging piece of rock that gave some protection of the wind. By now the snow was a full storm and it was difficult to see up ahead. Darkness was setting in. "She cries again," the Guardian said, sniffing the snowfilled wind "We come closer to her sadness."

OOC: I thought I'd give you a tie-over. Another day of travel before the event ;)
Ashilda da'Svafa

Ash quickly finished clearing away the remains of their camp and saw that al her belongings were fastened securely to the sled before they set off. It was a gruelling day, particularly on the heels of her previous day's journey, but as the clouds rolled in and the snow started again she could understand the need to put on as much speed as possible while travel was still an option.

When they finally found some shelter and made a stop, she smiled a little weakly at her companion. "It's not the eating on the trail that is so much the problem, as the body protesting against the strain of standing in the sled for so long," she replied with a chuckle as she climbed stiffly from her perch and chaffed some warmth back into tired limbs. Thinking about it, she added with a laugh, "It could be worse though. I could have run the whole way. Then you'd be fishing me out of a snowdrift somewhere after I'd collapsed. But I, too, am glad of the company. It would be a lonely road to travel alone."

Together, the three of them managed to get the dogs and sleds under the outcropping of rock where everything and everyone would have some protection from the storm. Looking out at the swirling snow, she gave a shiver that was only partly from cold. When the Guardian spoke, she looked up at the creature with a puzzled frown. "Do you mean the Goddess?" she asked with curiosity. "Can you feel her?" A thought struck her and she added quickly, "Do you know what she's crying about?"
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Hex was glad for the help. Traveling by dog and foot was very different from the deck of a ship. The volcoalization from the Guardian made Hex somber in her thoughts. She settled back down under the overhang with some tea for her and Ashilda, her face set hard against the encroaching night.

"If I remember right the Guardian said that the Ice Queens children had been violated. Those children I take to be the Hippogryphs, and that means that something has disturbed them. I could be wrong and it could be some other creature. Perhaps we will know more the next day. I am sorry if I pushed you today. I am afraid that in all my years i have never learned to be a good companion to travel with. I feel a sense of urgancy inside that is pushing me on. I may only be one woman, but I set out on this quest to right whatever wrong has occurred in the court of the Queen. Against all better judgement I have done this, and now I am joined by yourself and the Guardian. I am truly grateful for the company and assistance on this task. I think they thought I was crazy when I said the Ice Queen brought me here form the sea and that it was she who spoke to me. It was she that guides my fate and it is she who called upon me. I will do whatever she asks of me and I have abandoned all reason and logic of thought. (Hex pauses to reflect). Of the many things I have learned away from Trothgard it was that the inner strength is more important than the outer strength. To hear and say this is one thing but to belive in it is something all together different. If I did not believe in the fact that the Ice Queen is truly who and what she is then my whole life would be a lie and I would question all around me. I was on the other end of the scale and believed in her not as a mythical figure but as a living entity that governed the natural way of life here. I believed that she served us in the role of the Mother but as the Child , we have our duties to perform. All the changes that have taken place and still are taking place I feel has disturbed that balance. if you do not feed the dogs, they will hunger and die. If you do not attune your self to the Queen she will not share in her glory and power and soon all we hold to be true will be no more. I do not know why I seem to be the only one of all the women here that feels this calling, but I do. I shall go and do what ever my Queen bids and do what ever I can to right what wrongs have been done. My path is the path of the faithful and will most likely mirror the path of death for something is sure to die before this journey is complete. I do not say these things to frighten only to give one the bones of iron against all that is to come. Strength is found in listening to her and allowing her inside. Her strength can be your strength and through her you may over come all and any."

Hex sipped some more of her tea and looked upon this young girl...

"I say gain. let not these words give you fear for in them I am sure you can find strength. Strength for your spirit and strength for your power. let us now speak of that power for I wish to know what you can do with the runes. Perhaps becoming one with her, she will lend you strength and guidance in the days ahead. Come I must sound like one of those old hags who prattled on when you were a child, I bis you to speak your own tales..."
~

Return to “Trothgard Archive”